Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds ipMonitor
We use ipMonitor to manage our monitoring of software and hardware resources network-wide.
- ipMonitor is well suited to use SNMP sources to monitor up states and usage such as network interfaces
- ipMonitor does a great job of measuring bandwidth usage and delivering a long term 'picture' of usage
- ipMonitor has an exceptional interface that is easy to use and simple to navigate
- ipMonitor network maps could be simpler to manage and have more options for device representation
- ipMonitor saves time and effort when measuring usage and monitoring up/down time, freeing you for other projects
- the ability to demonstrate long term usage, with reports, of given resources makes the process of justifying upgrades vastly simpler
We have used Pasessler PRTG and ManageEngine OpsManager. Both are good products, but aren't really monitoring products, they are more management products with monitoring built in. The smaller footprint of ipMonitor, as well as the historical data storage options, were a better fit for our organization.
SolarWinds ipMonitor Feature Ratings
Using SolarWinds ipMonitor
1 - Just me, I am essentially the only person that uses ipMonitor on an hourly basis. I create devices and then associate monitors with those devices. I also create reports that run hourly, daily and/or weekly.
- ipMonitor is primarily used to alert IT staff to a downed device
- ipMonitor is also used to to record up/down conditions of specific devices and groups of devices
- ipMonitor is also used to to record usage and bandwidth requirements of specific devices and groups of devices
- The main value we have found with ipMonitor is knowing when a device is down, we get alerts fast and get very few false alerts
- The ability to have usage history is also valuable, this lets us know if a piece of equipment is under utilized and can be moved or over utilized and needs more
- Reports that tell us the up/down conditions of devices or groups of devices show us the reliability of a given device/group in a given area
- We have plans to use ipMonitor in conjunction with netflow software to get flow data when a device is down and get historical flow data on groups of devices
I have very few pieces of software, that are specific to IT and IT services, that just work. Honestly, I don't need the support as it never breaks, but I believe in rewarding vendors that make valuable products
SolarWinds ipMonitor Support
There are very few pieces of software or equipment that I use on a daily basis that just work. This is one of them.
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
Yes - I like having a person to call or email, instead of using a queue to a team. The response time is shorter and typically the results are at least as good if not better.
During the initial setup I had a DNS issue that caused some monitors to not operate correctly, it turned out to be a firewall issue caused by our VPN gateway and SolarWinds pointed me to the exact resolution I needed. It wasn't even there software that was the problem but they still worked with me to resolve the issue.