June 12, 2019
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Vim
I use it every day as a code editor as I mostly love to work from a terminal rather than jumping to other code editors. It's not used across all the departments, it's based on personal preference.
- No need for a mouse/trackpad.l
- I love CTAGS to jump between multiple files.
- It provides some great plugins like vim-eunuch and Emmet.
- The difficult learning curve for most beginners.
- Feature discoverability like auto-completion is never easy, they should be well documented.
- It always increases productivity.
- Sometimes feature discovery is not easy. It could be documented well like how to install a plugin and if it supported well or not.
It's very lightweight and works great if you're logged into some ssh terminal and you need to open some config or files. It really increases your productivity. It works great for someone working in languages like C/C++/Python. But for Scala/Java it might be bit overhead to use VIM unless all the plugins are well documented on how to install.