What users are saying about
Likelihood to Recommend
If you want to keep control of your files, for yourself or for your company, OwnCloud is the self-hosted cloud for you. There is no real competition when it's time for self-hosting. If you are looking for a hosted version, be sure to compare with the big players like Dropbox, Google and Microsoft. It's cheap, highly available, and secure.
Feature Rating Comparison
User and role management
- Inability to easily collaboratively edit the same document by several people. Some advances have been made with Collabora (Libreoffice online) but it is still very sub-par compared to Office365 and desktop/online Office editing Sharepoint or OneDrive documents.
- Apps for Calendar and Contacts are not part of the basic core, and although now quite supported they cannot still be easily deployed in common email clients such as Outlook or Thunderbird, separate CalDAV and CardDAV plugins need to be installed. Embedding an email solution and plugins for major email clients so they can work just by entering username and password would be good.
- Risk of moving important folders/files to another location just by random drag-and-drop on Windows. Sometimes this breaks public links that cannot be restored anymore. Reverting such mistake by any of the users is impossible automatically.
- When some user deletes some data in a shared folder it is put into recycle bin of the owner of the folder. The user who deleted cannot himself/herself revert such action as he/she does not see the recycle bin (trash) of the owner. Also, there is no log in the recycle bin who deleted that file or folder.
Based on 1 answer
Regarding the community edition, there is a reasonably good support on the IRC, forums and in the issue section on Github. Perhaps a much more individual approach would be available if the premium support was chosen and the instance of the server was provided by the Owncloud company that also offers some premium extensions, not available generally. However, we did not need this level of support yet.
ownCloud is one of the only self-hosted solutions worth it. It is open source and free, meaning that anyone with a Linux VM or an old laptop can host its own feature-rich cloud server. Many all-in-one firewalls will mix OwnCloud and CrashPlan, joining document management and backup. I backup my ownCloud using CrashPlan to my dad's computer so I can restore files in case of a crash.
Return on Investment
- Increased employee efficiency when collaborating
- Better customer service with outside vendors who need to view docs
Manager in OtherE-Learning Company, 201-500 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?