What users are saying about
Likelihood to Recommend
Perfect for a smaller company having no solid document server. Without any major costs you can go from 3 to 30 to 60 users with the same hardware or VPS and if self-managed, no payment per user per month. Less appropriate when users absolutely require collaborative editing of documents. Pick Office365 or G Suite (Google Documents for work) instead.
Feature Rating Comparison
User and role management
- Runs fine on a inexpensive Linux VPS with a few CPU cores and little RAM and is able to serve well for dozens of users. The scalability at almost no extra cost is perfect.
- Sync clients are available for all major platforms: MS Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, and mobile apps on Android and iOS are available too and work very well. We use all these platforms and are able to exchange documents transparently.
- Initial setting up the environment for users - such as creating a few user groups, virtual users owning particular folders and assigning users to these groups, is quite easy and quick. Auto-sync of data to local devices on all platforms is also perfect, users don't have to manually select anything, default is to sync (or admin can set on the desktop clients how big folders are auto-synced).
- Newest releases not supported in updated Ubuntu servers
- Major issues connecting with Windows server shares on any version past 8.1
- Unreliable admin user password resets
Manager in Information TechnologyNon-Profit Organization Management Company, 201-500 employees
Based on 1 answer
Regarding the community edition, there is a reasonably good support on the IRC, forums and in the issue section on Github. Perhaps a much more individual approach would be available if the premium support was chosen and the instance of the server was provided by the Owncloud company that also offers some premium extensions, not available generally. However, we did not need this level of support yet.
Due to the need to support many external workers it was mainly cost effectivity of open source solution: ability to allow external workers to access company files without the need to pay a license for each of them every month. Unfortunately, ownCloud does not offer until now as good collaborative editing of typical office documents so now we are complementing ownCloud with Office365 but for several months very little has been migrated and the vast majority of documents and projects is still on ownCloud.
Return on Investment
- Increased employee efficiency when collaborating
- Better customer service with outside vendors who need to view docs
Manager in OtherE-Learning Company, 201-500 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?