Overall Satisfaction with Amazon Redshift
Amazon Redshift is being used by several of our clients for analysis of large datasets. In most cases, it is used at a department level, in conjunction with other on-prem and in the cloud data solutions, including data warehouses and relational databases.
- Very fast, parallelized data loading from S3
- Full ANSI SQL support
- Highly scalable
- Columnar storage
- Does not scale automatically. Need to be scaled up/down manually by adding/removing nodes
- Does not have support for row level access control
- Charged based on provisioned capacity - not based on usage
- Our clients have achieved great ROI by migrating all or parts of their data from expensive data warehouse hardware solutions to Redshift.
- Some clients are seeing increasing costs of Redshift, as they are being charged for provisioned capacity, and are looking at alternative solutions which provide pay per use options.