I'd bet my job on Matillion
October 05, 2020
I'd bet my job on Matillion
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Matillion
Matillion is primarily used by our Data Engineering team to produce highly curated datasets for use by our clients. We transform extensive volumes of client and vendor data into a highly clean and valuable artifact. Matillion is our primary ELT tool and has displaced a number of other tools previously used by our organization.
- Clean interface.
- Diversity of supported data warehouse platforms.
- Ability to rapidly onboard new users.
- Support can be slow to respond.
- Minor UI irritations.
- Upgrade process is onerous, often requiring manual intervention to successfully complete.
- Git integration needs improvement.
- Matillion allowed us to increase the productivity of our data engineering team by an order of magnitude.
- Matillion created a culture of standardization within our organization: the team uses a consistent approach to working with client data that is repeatable, testable, and easily automated.
- The ability to rapidly iterate, and receive meaningful feedback from the tools, allows our teams to experiment with new approaches to working with client data.
Matillion has a clean and consistent interface that is readily approachable by anyone experienced with a visual or flow based ELT tool. The ability to rapidly onboard new users, reaching productive output in a few hours, is a key part of the value proposition. That it is usable by a wide range of skill levels is testament to the thought put into its overall design.
Our initial POC demonstrated that migrating to Matillion was the logical next step for our organization. Our expectation had been six months to migrate our production loads from legacy tooling to Matillion. We were able to migrate complex production workflows, validate the result, and promote the Matillion generated artifacts in less than two months. Processing time for each workflow was cut from three days to a few hours. The productivity gains were stunning. Team members have been freed to focus on deeper and more valuable work as a direct result of our implementation.
Matillion, because it relies on the computing power of cloud data warehouses, scales effortlessly to process massive data volumes. Scaling user count is the only limiting factor to growth, however, Matillion provides a number of licensing options to suit the needs of a single department to an large scale data engineering practice.
We have direct experience with a number of ELT tools: SAS, Informatica, Pentaho, and others.
Matillion's ability to interface directly with Google BigQuery, the quality of its design, and the ability to be immediately productive made it the only product in the marketplace that we evaluated for this effort.
Matillion is an excellent fit for organizations that have expertise (and data) in one of the supported engines (BigQuery, Redshift, and Snowflake). ELT workflows are easy to implement and automate against data of varied size. The UI successfully hides the complexity of SQL for users not well verse in it, but provides expert SQL users the ability to implement complex transformations not easily achieved with the standard components.