Likelihood to Recommend
AppFolio Property Manager is great for small to medium-sized businesses (managing 300 - 1,000 units). I don't know if it would be as useful for extremely large organizations or extremely small organizations. There are so many features that we don't use (we don't currently have a need for) but I can't imagine a smaller business owner needing half of the features this software offers. As I haven't worked for a large organization that utilizes this program, I'm not sure if it would be beneficial or if it would meet all the needs of an extremely large organization (10,000+ units); therefore, I'm unable to speak on that portion.
Property Matrix has developed property management software that incorporates all the power of a highly technical accounting software with the conveniences of state-of-the-art check scanning capabilities. For years, I've struggled with the physical demands of check processing - receipt, delivery, recording and processing. Now I'm able to simplify all of these steps into just one encrypted scan. I'm also able to review every account from one convenient location - tenants, vendors, owners, accounts and check scanning are all accessible from the main screen. I'm able to review outstanding invoices, rent payments, management fees and so much more. It's very well suited for my business.
- It helps us to keep the Maintenance side of the business very organized. Anyone from our organization can go in and know exactly where a work order is in process (new, waiting, assigned, completed). We know if a work order has been printed and if the tenants are still having an issue we know to contact the Maintenance team. We can build on existing work orders by adding a "-2" or "-3" work order and keep track of the history when managing ongoing issues.
- AppFolio makes it easy to see exactly what tenants owe and categorizes charges/credits efficiently on their ledgers. We can tell if there are water/sewer charges, pet fees, electricity allocations, late fees, security deposits, etc... It's all easy to follow and understand and it set up in chronological order.
- I also utilize the Reports and Letters section of this software program quite often. It's great to have a uniform format which helps us maintain the professional element by remaining consistent and accurate. It's easy to run a report with tenant information at a certain property for maintenance and send select tenants letters at a large property without everyone being included. It's very intuitive and the formatting has definitely improved over the past two years I've been using the program.
- I especially like the all-inclusive dashboard for accounting. Multiple tabs keep everything organized and accessible.
- Customized reports are extremely important. This software allows me to set my own parameters instead of forcing me to used canned reporting data.
- Real-time information allows me to always know what task is required next. It also helps me stay focused and never worry that I've forgotten something.
- The cloud-based software provides access from any location and device. Now I can spend less time behind my desk and more time in the field where I'm needed.
- Only a few very technical items that wouldn't necessarily make sense to non-users and I haven't even cared enough to submit requests on the issues. It'd be nice if parking was easier to keep track of on the system. Right now, if you run a report it doesn't show all the information our company requires for the vehicles and therefore we have to keep track of it elsewhere.
- Another obstacle we've encountered is that the program charges "by door" so if you have multiple units and properties you can really rack up pricing. That's especially true for large multi-unit buildings with parking.
- I've found all aspects of this product to be exceptional for functionality, customization and flexibility. The only thing I've noticed is a limited range of easy-to-read background settings. There are 10 different themes, but all are blue and are a little difficult to read.
Based on 1 answer
It's very user-friendly and it's an easy to learn system. The display is easy to understand and it's easy to find what you're looking for on the desktop site. We've had at least 3 new hires in the last year and everyone has picked up the program rather quickly without much training or assistance. Everyone learns differently but at the same time, everyone was able to implement the program within weeks of starting.
No answers yet
Based on 1 answer
Typically, AppFolio answers all questions the same day. However, I've had issues with Apartments.com pulling our information on available listings and consistently advertising incorrectly. I've contacted AppFolio more than 3 times about this in the last month and they said they would look into it and work on getting it figured out with them. However, I've had two more incidents since then and I just feel like I'm not being heard. However, I do give them a higher rating because I feel like they DO try their best and they are VERY responsive when we have major issues (this is more of an inconvenience issue). They do have room for improvement but overall, they're on the right track.
No answers yet
Return on Investment
- Before AppFolio, it would take quite a bit of time to complete the move in flow from applicant to tenant. The time saved has been termendous, reducing payroll expenses and other overhead costs.
- The ability to do everything on-line from applicantion to payment of fees and deposits to signing the lease has also reduced payroll expenses and other overhead. As a start-up company I am doing everything from securing new business to leasing, inspections, hiring vendors, monitoring the work of vendors, paying bills and owners. Because I can accomplish all of this from my cell phone, laptop and iPad, things get done immediately no matter where I am.
- Negative impact: I FIND MYSELF WORKING ALL HOURS OF THE DAY AND NIGHT. Because access is available anywhere, anytime, I cannot control myself! :)
- The Property Matrix property management software has had a positive impact for on-time tenant payments. Before implementing this program, I often had to visit each tenant to collect rent payments. With digital check scanning and EBT payments available, my tenants rarely miss a payment.
- Maintaining my accounting records through this software has improved my own efficiency and allows me to spend more time visiting tenants. I used to spend several hours a day doing data entry. I've now cut that time in half and can even record pertinent information from the road.
- I'm a better manager with this software and am gaining more respect from my tenants, vendors and owners. With important data at my fingertips, I'm equipped with critical information precisely when I need it. Now when an owner asks for details about a building, I can confidently relay the information without delay.
AppFolioSee All (5) AppFolio Screenshots
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
AppFolio Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Property Matrix Editions & Modules
- Per Unit