Parse.ly Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2021

Andrew Capps | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Parse.ly to monitor website metrics for our news departments. It helps us track how well our content is doing with our audience and where that audience is coming, plus when they most want to see new content and when they make time to read more content, which drives our publishing decisions and our content strategy.
  • Real-time metrics are great and help us decide what content to follow up on.
  • Audience segmenting is key, helps us determine where we're strong and where we're not.
  • Historical metrics are also helpful in helping us see what readers come back to overtime, which drives decisions about what content to devote more resources to producing.
  • Needs better social tracking, what post/group is generating traffic rather than just which platform.
  • Scheduled email reports could provide more context, similar to what's available on a site's landing page.
  • The overlay function is very limited and even more temperamental, not a valuable tool.
Parse.ly is great for real-time metrics and for analyzing audience interaction over time. It does a great job in showing you what people are engaging within the moment and how they've engaged with it in the past and does a fair job of showing where that engagement comes from in terms of search/social/internal audiences. It is not great at pinpointing the origin of social audiences, which is needed for getting content in front of the right viewers. It's also not particularly suited to market analysis. Your site's metrics are offered without any context for what's happening online in your area.
Read Andrew Capps's full review
Ben Harborne | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Parse.ly to measure the performance of our blog. Parse.ly shows us top articles by a variety of metrics like read time and helps us see which posts are performing the best and which are rising stars.
  • Easy to implement
  • Great support
  • Highly visual
  • Get answers way faster than using Google Analytics
  • Would love conversion funnel tracking
Parse.ly is designed for measuring the performance of your content, typically blog posts or other longer-form articles. It's much easier to use and set up than something like Google Analytics which has limited charts and takes a ton of configuration. The downside is it's mostly for blogs, we don't use it to track the performance of landing pages on our site.
Read Ben Harborne's full review
Bill Atkinson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it to track page views for our posts on our website, progress-index.com. Our parent company, Gannett, also uses it corporatewide. It lets us see how particular posts are doing and helps us strategize for the future—what types of stories do well and what types do not. Our reporters use the data to see which topics are worth the readers' time.
  • I like the real-time tracking, especially the 10-minute option. That tells us everything we need to know if we need to tweak the headlines for SEO.
  • I like the side-by-side comparison of reporters and their posts. That helps me gauge productivity and performance.
  • I like the historical tracking of stories. That really helps judge the performance progress of my reporters.
  • The phone app needs to be redone to allow for the same features as the desktop and laptop.
  • That is really the only problem I have with Parse.ly.
It is fantastic for tracking progress and productivity and helps us determine the direction we need to take our future coverage. We can see immediately if a story is doing well, as opposed to waiting hours, or even the next day in the print cycle, to see if our readers responded to our stories.
Read Bill Atkinson's full review
EJ Ward, MCIJ | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Parse.ly across our digital platforms for assessing how our news stories are performing and how many visitors we are getting to our website. This means we are able to see when stories and articles are becoming popular and then we can make sure they feature higher on our website. We're also able to track where our traffic is coming from to enable us to inform how we put out content in the future and also work out what times are best.

My favorite feature is being able to track comments made quoting and linking to pages on our website and finding out what people are saying on Twitter.
  • Parse.ly helps us monitor which stories on our website are doing well and helps us track where our traffic comes from.
  • Using Parse.ly means we can immediately see when a news story on our website is generating interest and react to that.
  • Parse.ly means we can track which website authors are achieving a high number of page clicks and then assess why that may be.
  • I wish you were able to see the level of detail when it comes to FaceBook that you can see when it comes to Twitter.
  • I wish I could see multiple websites on one screen, maybe divide my screen into quarters or the like.
  • I wish the mobile app was easier to use.
I find Parse.ly is very well suited for the news and media industry enabling us to track performance in a live environment and to see where a trend is developing and why. This means we can then react accordingly to this. It is not as good when trying to predict what articles will do well or monitoring how long someone spends on a particular page.
Read EJ Ward, MCIJ's full review
March 13, 2021
Charlene Rhinehart | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is used by all writers in the organization to track individual performance, monthly unique visitors, and daily results from each writer. We receive the analytics every day to determine our strengths and areas of improvement. I use my individual data to set daily, monthly, and weekly goals. I also compare data to prior periods to track what works best and what needs to change going forward.
  • Track individual writer performance.
  • Track monthly results for the entire organization.
  • Track the best posts of the month.
  • It would be great if I can use this from an app and monitor results from my phone.
  • Receive updates when I've reached a 100K views on a post or another benchmark.
  • Receive notifications when the organization achieves a certain benchmark.
Parse.ly is perfect when you have a team of individuals and want to track the progress of everyone on the team to achieve specific company objectives. For example, if you have a team of five content creators and want to know how many articles each one has written, you can check Parse.ly. You will also see how many views and visitors were generated from each author and post.
Read Charlene Rhinehart's full review
Benji Rosen | TrustRadius Reviewer
Parse.ly is being used by the news and analytics teams. Our analytics team has incorporated Parse.ly data into Looker, and individual reporters and editors use it to track performance.
  • Track referrals
  • Track tweets
  • Show performance over time
  • Organize how our information travels across the internet
  • I can't think of anything. It's a simple interface that gets the job done.
I think it's a great off-the-shelf tool for showing newsrooms how information travels across the internet. It's not that customizable for analytics teams, but I don't think that's the purpose of it, for us at least.
Read Benji Rosen's full review
December 17, 2020
We use Parse.ly across our media business. We started with the Audience team and BI, rolled out to editorial, but it's now the default self-serve analytics tool for many people across all divisions. Parse.ly doesn't necessarily provide data that isn't available elsewhere, but the fact it's designed for publishers and so simple to use means usage is extremely high and frequent, more so than other tools.
  • Simplicity and presentation of data
  • Real-time analytics
  • Designed for publishers
  • More event and conversion tracking in real-time
  • Improvements to reporting centre
  • Make comparative period-on-perios reporting simpler and more effective.
Parse.ly is significantly better than Google Analytics in terms of real-time accuracy and usability.

Parse.ly offers some really useful longer-term reports (eg. I like the evergreen report).

We do tend to default back to Google Analytics for longer-term reporting. Also comparing period-on-period is very limited in Parse.ly. I'd love to see that improved
March 29, 2021
Parse.ly is being used across the whole organization. It is used on a weekly basis to track content performance and the bookmarklet tools is used regularly to check the performance of specific articles. It addresses the issues of content monitoring, and provides more data than Google Analytics in terms of engaged minutes and social media referrals with accuracy.
  • Easy to segment dashboards based on search terms and over periods of time.
  • The ability to click on particular features of the dashboard (eg referrals) to drill down to more data.
  • The bookmarklet tool is ideal for quick access to specific pieces.
  • Being able to download the graphs from the dashboard rather than just exporting raw data to a CSV file.
  • Being able to sort search results by date published.
  • Including LinkedIn stats as part of the main dashboard report.
Parse.ly is particularly useful for content management reporting, particularly on specific segments or categories. The dashboards are clear and intuitive to use, and the ability to drill down to more information is fantastic. I also appreciate the way Parse.ly provides regular updates for users along with calls with account managers.
March 23, 2021
Parse.ly is used nearly organization wide, mostly for real-time analysis of traffic and author content. We are easily able to see what types of content are performing and steer editorial and our writers in that direction. It has been invaluable in determining which of our authors provide the best value for content. Management uses Parse.ly to monitor real-time data and uses that data to determine where additional investments could be made.
  • Seeing in real time which stories are performing.
  • Trend analysis.
  • Author reporting.
  • Greater granularity for graph, chart presets.
  • Custom time ranges for all graphs, reports, charts.
  • Add top referrers as options to reports.
  • Add ability to rearrange content sections.
  • Add ability to grab a screen snapshot of various graphs, charts for sharing.
The service is well suited to author performance where you can see in real time and historical perspectives which authors generate the greatest amount of traffic and who is not performing so well - allows you to focus content spend on those who produce the most. Parse.ly also works well to see what content tags gain the most attention so you can focus your SEO efforts around those keywords to generate better performing content - both in real-time and historical contexts.

I honestly cannot find a particular scenario where Parse.ly wouldn't be appropriate - while Google Analytics (GA4, included) can give you some of the same information, it does require advanced knowledge but it is free. Comes down to operating budgets.
March 21, 2021
Parse.ly is used across our whole company to track story performance on newspaper websites. It also is used by individual newsrooms, reporters, and photographers to track that same performance. Parse.ly is used to determine page views, referral sources, engagement time, and other metrics important to determine what readers are looking at, how they're getting there, how long they're engaging, and where they go next on the website.
  • Parse.ly's ability to show data in virtually real time.
  • Parse.ly's breakdown of where website viewers are coming from (social, direct, internal).
  • Parse.ly is user friendly and has an easy-to-use interface.
  • While Parse.ly provides a breakdown of what social sites viewers are coming from, it's impossible to see the exact referring post/tweet.
  • I'd like to be able to see video views on a web page as a percentage of page views.
  • Would love to be able to know what Google keywords/searches were part of a search function that got viewers to a particular page.
Parse.ly is easy to use and quick to learn. It has a lot of features that are helpful in determining who your website users are, how they got there, and how long they stayed. It's a great tool for media companies to track engaged readers. There are some features that would be helpful and I wish would be expanded but they don't deteriorate the overall Parse.ly experience or benefits.
March 19, 2021
Parse.ly is used by editors and copy editors at my organization to measure analytics on stories we post. We use it to see what coverage of our community is successful and what is not. Without it, we would be unable to tell what our readers are interested in. It is an essential tool for our organization.
  • Parse.ly allows you to view analytics over many periods of time. This is helpful when analyzing specific trends over different years.
  • Parse.ly's interface is easy to access and use. Though there are many tools available, they are all easy to find and use. This makes both analyzing the data and showing the analysis to others easy.
  • Parse.ly allows you to view so many different analytics. Basically anything you could want to analyze is present all in one place, which is very convenient.
  • Sometimes there is so much information on one page it can be overwhelming when first learning to use Parse.ly. A simplified tutorial for beginners would be nice.
  • It would be nice to get more functionality out of the social breakdown, or to get some data on where the people interacting with articles are (such as what state).
  • Those two are really the only critiques I have. Parse.ly is so easy to use and comprehensive.
Parse.ly is extremely well suited for a newsroom. This is the only place I have used Parse.ly, and I cannot imagine working without it. We use Parse.ly daily to measure how our paper is doing. It works well for students and professors, and new students are taught to use it every semester. It's well suited both to a business and classroom setting.
November 23, 2020
We use Parse.ly across multiple departments and it is being used to assess page views and traffic patterns of content on our website. We use this information to help craft content we post on the site. I personally generate reports for a team of editors and other management within the company.
  • Page views: We look at counts throughout the day, weekly and monthly.
  • Traffic source. We look to see where our site visitors come from to view content.
  • Comparisons. I find it easy to compare across timelines.
  • Traffic source. I would like to be able to find the exact social media page a view comes from. Now I can only tell which platform.
  • I would like to be able to compare traffic more than one year ago. Now I'm limited to one year.
  • Some more customization of reports (or maybe more training).
Parse.ly is well suited for page views and short timeline comparisons, as well as author reports, in addition to general traffic source patterns for content for media operations. I expect it would be less appropriate for ecommerce. I am also not aware of any potential for ad impression analytics, and am not sure of that is a capability.
I find Parse.ly to be generally easy to navigate for the basics. I tend to get lost in the capabilities of reports and have found them to not produce necessarily what I thought they would produce. As I have written before, this may be more a function of lack of training on my part.
I rate this question this way solely because I haven't requested any support. I feel where I will eventually get support would be when we take Parse.ly up on some training that is being offered. We are looking to do that at some point after the first of the year and when our schedules support it.
December 22, 2020
Parse.ly has been used by our editorial, marketing, social media, and advertising teams to understand what type of content and topics are resonating with our readers. It aggregates all audience data in one clean, easy-to-use dashboard that is accessible to both data novices and experts alike.
  • Easy to understand and navigate
  • Accurate data when compared to other measurements
  • Easy reporting
  • Interface allows for spotting trends and setting strategy
  • Interface can be understood by all stakeholders
  • Great customer service and educational materials
  • Finding RSS feed / email campaign traffic can be a little more time consuming than finding other traffic sources
  • Conversion tracking is a great addition, but legacy customers may find the pricing inaccessible
  • Rolling traffic averages on the dashboard are not inaccurate, but do not give the whole picture and can be confusing when viewed by data novices
Parse.ly is well suited to companies that need a better understanding of their data and don't have a centralized data team to pull insights from Google Analytics or other sources. The learning curve is low, so almost anyone can pick it up and become familiar with how to pull insights for their particular needs. It may be less appropriate for companies that need to track highly custom events.
December 22, 2020
Parse.ly is used daily by Adweek's editorial, product, and audience development teams to keep their fingers on the pulse of our reader interaction within our publishing website.
  • The UI is extremely user friendly.
  • To the everyday user, Parse.ly is much easier to use to drill down into traffic by story, author, referral source, etc. than is Google Analytics.
  • Live reports can easily be shared among platform users and non-users.
  • While Parse.ly is continually evolving the product, all new functionality comes at a premium price when it should be part of the base offering.
Parse.ly is well suited for medium to large editorial organizations that expect the entire team to be metric aware.
November 25, 2020
Parse.ly is used to keep on track of day-to-day top-level analytics using their real-time data dashboard. The ability to delve deeper using the historical data enables us to keep a close eye at the author, sector and tags views to determine the best performing individual and types of authors, topics, and authors.
  • Section and author views that aren't available on Google Analytics
  • Real time dashboard view
  • Easy to integrate
  • Only shows 12 months of historical data without having to pay extra
  • App integration is complex
  • US based support only
  • Expensive
[Parse.ly] is perfect for publishers that are looking for a more user friendly, dashboard view of what is going on their websites as well as cutting down admin tasks for end of month reporting and providing an invaluable author level detail that allow trends, topics and authors that drive data to be easily discerned.
[Parse.ly's] stylish and easy to use dashboard view make it a platform that each member of the the team can easily use to get high level feedback on article performance, as well as having the depth and the more rich data to facilitate more strategic and high level decision making .
Parse.ly's US based email support can be sluggish at key times.
December 17, 2020
It is used primarily by the Editorial team, but Product and Engineering also monitor Parse.ly. I try to analyze when and why certain articles outperform. It gives us insights into authors and topics that outperform.
  • Real time article performance.
  • Appealing and intuitive visual representations.
  • Content segmentation.
  • Historical analysis.
  • Numbers to do not align with Google Analytics, causing confusion.
  • Would like to be able to customize the moving average.
Well-suited for real-time data of content performance. Less appropriate for analysis of seasonal and historical patterns, does not match numbers on Google Analytics which causes confusion.
July 29, 2020
Phoebe Gavin | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Parsely to track user behavior across our site–specifically how many readers are finding our work, where they are coming from, and what they do after they land on our site. It's used by the entire company to understand the reach of our work, what we should be doing, and what we should stop doing. The tool is an invaluable tool for data-driven editorial decision making.
  • Well designed, intuitive interface.
  • Useful, easy to configure reports.
  • Amazing training and customer service.
  • Could do a better job of rolling out new features. New features don't get the fanfare and education they should.
If you need to drive data adoption across your organization, Parsely's attractive, intuitive interface flattens the learning curve.
Getting support from Parsely is so easy. They are super responsive and really go out of their way to make sure they get you to a solution you're happy with. In the rare event that what you need is impossible, they actually record your feedback and actually get it to the people who could act on it. I've even had them get back to me later to get more information about a feature I requested.
Read Phoebe Gavin's full review
July 28, 2020
Dan Stubbs | TrustRadius Reviewer
Parse.ly is a an incredible tool for democratizing data. It's used by our digital editorial teams to keep track of performance of content in real time. It allows them to understand if and when they are having above or below average days and why. This constant feedback helps them approve their approach to content framing and content distribution. Furthermore, its intuitive nature helps the creative editorial teams internalize the data and begin making more data-driven decisions without the need for constant support from an analytics team.
  • Intuitive, easy to use and understand.
  • Real-time data shows what's happening right now.
  • Context, understand how and why you are doing above/below average in terms of readership and engagement.
  • It's not as comprehensive as GA or Adobe.
  • Video tracking.
If you have an editorial team creating content daily that needs feedback on the performance of that content, then Parse.ly is the number one tool for the job. If you are running an ecommerce site or a site that is trying to drive some type of conversion, Parse.ly is not suited for that. Parsely is great at displaying real-time data on story level performance across all of the stories distribution channels. This data can then be rolled up or down to understand how topics and traffic sources are doing compared to historical benchmarks.
Customer Support is fantastic. Parse.ly has live support and the team is always a phone call away. As they've developed the product over the years, they have always been careful to get direct client feedback on new features to make sure they provide value for their clients.
Read Dan Stubbs's full review
June 25, 2020
Ben Smithson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Parse.ly to monitor live site traffic 24/7 - it's very handy to see as a quick snapshot how the day is tracking. We also read daily summary reports from Parse.ly looking at how each article performed and where the audience was coming from (direct, social, google, news etc).
  • Easy to read statistics.
  • Clean, functional layout.
  • I like the live 'worm' that moves up and down during the day.
  • The URLs that list where some traffic came from (i.e. Twitter) are sometimes hard to read.
  • It would be great to see more detail of traffic sources. For example, if a spike of views come from Twitter it would be great to see if it is a specific tweet or account the bulk of views are coming from.
I have never needed to use Parse.ly support.
Read Ben Smithson's full review
July 29, 2020
Parse.ly is used primarily in the newsrooms at all levels: top editors, managing editors, and reporters. It is also used by the business intelligence and advertising teams.
Parse.ly is the news organization's primary analytics tool to see all data on content on the websites. It gives newsrooms both real-time reporting results, historical data and custom reporting.
  • Historical data.
  • Trending content topics thanks to tagging.
  • None.
From the negotiation process more than 5 years ago at GateHouse to the eventual expansion of using the tool for more of our sites, it's clear that Parse.ly isn't just a great product, it's a company that truly cares about its customers. The tool is built with constant feedback from users in mind.
If I could rate their customer service an 11 out of 10 I would. The customer service team truly goes above and beyond, from taking the time to do custom setups to save the customer time to answering support emails on off hours. They are also more than willing to do an impromptu screenshare or phone call to help someone figure something out.
June 25, 2020
It's being used by different departments across the company for website analytics, as we prefer not to use tools and platforms created by key competitors.
  • The user-interface is clear, simple and easy-to-use.
  • Designed with editors/marketers/content creators in mind.
  • The support team are quick and helpful to respond.
  • It's not as robust as Google or Adobe Analytics.
  • The platform has a few bugs and issues.
It's great for a quick and cost-effective solution for web analytics.
They are extremely quick to respond over email, and work well with other vendors. They also listen to feedback and take options onboard with their product team to improve the platform.
May 20, 2020
Parse.ly is largely used to track real-time traffic as well as a map where users go from the get-go.
  • Tracking real-time traffic.
  • Following users across the site.
  • Showing traffic sources
  • Reporting functionality could be improved.
  • It would be helpful if Parse.ly updated content without a recrawl on our end.
  • It would be helpful if we could isolate traffic by the time period of publication, not just by time period — e.g. be able to see traffic ONLY for pieces published in a certain time frame without the noise of other content.
Parse.ly is invaluable for tracking real-time visits to your site, allowing you to optimize content when users are actually on it.
Support can take awhile.
May 07, 2020
We use Parse.ly to determine how stories are performing on our websites. Stories that perform better are bumped up to get more attention, while stories that don't perform as well are tried out in a different section or put in a less-visible spot.
  • The real-time metrics are incredibly useful.
  • I love how detailed the information can get. I can find out a breakdown of the origins of the traffic, so I know which came from a push notification, from FB or Twitter, from the site itself, from a newsletter, etc. And I can tell if people are visiting my sites via desktop or mobile, time spent on site, where they went on the site after the initial article, etc. I also can see how stories perform by reporter, source, keyword, etc.
  • They have excellent customer service. Any support ticket I file receives prompt attention. Other organizations can be far less responsive, so it's always nice to know in the rare instance I experience an issue with Parse.ly I will get help quickly.
  • Honestly, Parse.ly is by far my favorite tool. It does everything I need it to do, and I can't say that about a single other tool/program I use on a daily basis.
Parse.ly is for people looking to grow their website audiences by looking at and analyzing the metrics. There's nothing like looking at a story you posted, or a story you reworked with a new headline, etc. and seeing a big spike in Parse.ly. Before Parse.ly, I had to react to a story's performance after the fact. But with Parse.ly, I can immediately see if what I did worked, or if something else needs to be done to draw readers.
They are very quick to respond, and to get things fixed. Even if the problem isn't on their end, support staff will help explain the issue and work with our developers to get a solution in place. Their support staff takes a very personalized, hands-on approach.
May 07, 2020
Parse.ly is used to track engagement, source, and trends for our editorial content and report on editorial articles. Our company finds Parse.ly more user friendly for editors. I use Parse.ly primarily to track hot/trending articles (alerts) and what sources the audience is coming from.
  • Trending article alerts.
  • User friendly.
  • Custom sorting (for article authors in our case).
  • Automated reports.
  • A bigger picture view.
  • More detailed look into audience demographics.
  • Customizing from a user standpoint (not set up).
Parse.ly is user friendly and offers "simple" reporting/views of web analytics. If I want to get more detailed, I go to Google Analytics.
I haven't used Parse.ly support other than the onboarding meeting the company attended.
February 14, 2020
Michael Phillips | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it across the whole organization to track web traffic on our website, Richmond.com, so we can make better decisions about what we cover and what is of interest to our readers. Having real-time information about what people look at allows us to change on the fly and not have to wait a day or two.
  • Live tracking of traffic.
  • Breaking down by input.
  • Can't see what people search on Google to reach stories.
  • Archive only goes back a year.
Parse.ly is an extremely valuable tool to know in real-time what our readers want, and whether we are providing it to them or not. The ability to change and adapt on the fly is extremely helpful, and something that wasn't as easy to track without the software.
Any time I've reached out they've been responsive.
Read Michael Phillips's full review

What is Parse.ly?

Parse.ly is an analytics platform built for content and designed with the belief that the most successful companies are the ones with the best content. Winning in the digital content world, though, isn't easy. You need to create feedback loops and listen, though data, to what your audience is telling you.

With 30 unique attention metrics, subscriber tracking, and audience segmentation, content creators, analysts, editors, marketers and communications professionals can use Parse.ly to:

• Grow their business and improve key metrics like reader engagement, conversions, and retention through data-driven insights.

• Act on immediate real-time audience insights or analyze historical data to get a clear picture of the past and plan for the future.

With a built-in personalization platform product teams can use Parse.ly to create dynamic content experiences powered by data and personalized by user on their website and in their CMS or WCM.

With our data pipeline platform data scientists and engineers can use our enriched clickstream data to spend less time on data infrastructure and more time on data analysis and insights.

Parse.ly works with 300+ enterprise companies using their trusted data infrastructure:

• The #4 most widely installed premium web technology on high-traffic sites (according to BuiltWith).

• Parse.ly is used by leading media and entertainment companies, DTC brands, Fortune 500 companies, B2B enterprise companies, and anyone who believes content can move their business forward.

Parse.ly Screenshots

Parse.ly Video

Visit https://parsely.wistia.com/medias/tbv33sc8sh to watch Parse.ly video.

Parse.ly Integrations