I really like the feature that allows me to see ads that competitors are using.
Kombat is fun because you can compare yourself with competitors and see where there are similarities and differences.
- Extensive amounts of competitor data
- Touches on both paid and organic search opportunities
- Easy graphs to help illustrate competitive landscape
- Since this tool scrapes millions of keywords listings it does take some manual filtering via Excel to get to what is truly going on.
- It would be nice if they expanded into social as well to be able to have an all-in-one tool
- A themes breakdown would help to eliminate the need for manual sorting and filtering
- Estimated cost per clicks by competitor. SpyFu provides deeper intel than the engines b/c the data is segmented by domain and is not masked
- Estimated monthly traffic volume & costs associated with higher spending competitors. SpyFu provides deeper intel than the engines b/c the data is segmented by domain and is not masked
- The cost per click information is not terribly accurate but can usually be used directionally. Obviously, with a paid product, people want exact data
- The free tool has limited data that mainly show vague feedback on your competitors. Def need paid version for any useful info.
- Gives you the most popular Ads for each month.
- Shows you the keywords your competitors are using.
- Spyfu will show you an estimate of what they believe your competitor is spending and this number is always low. They should evaluate the keyword prices more to give a more relevant estimate.
- Free version only gives you around 20 keywords for each competitor. I wish it was larger.
- Must sign in to see any SpyFu information even for the free version. This is a new thing and I liked it better when it was anonymous for free.
- Comparison tool of how our website compares to similar websites is helpful to understand where we are strong and where we have room to improve.
- Identifying backlinks
- Reviewing and recommendations for keywords
- SpyFu's competitor analysis tool is unparalleled. A detailed, strategic breakdown of how competitors do or don't spend their advertising budgets, and how organic SEO plays into their overall traffic.
- Researching new keywords has always been an important step when improving our organic SEO rank and SpyFu allows us to research keywords directly from the console.
- SpyFu's overall platform is wide-reaching, but could be better optimized by allowing customers to see the data broken down across the various web browser paltforms, e.g, Google, Bing, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.
- Spyfu provides a very detailed snapshot of ad history for any competitor.
- The competitor discovery ability is great.
- Some of the graphs used to present data help to identify targets of opportunity.
- The backlink tool provides some pretty off topic links.
- The database doesn't seem to be as effective as others.
- PPC reports for competition. SpyFu allows you to gain insight into possible budget spend as well as what their ads look like.
- The keyword tool within SpyFu is great for seeing what your web sites biggest hitters are as well as what your competition keywords stack against yours. If you share certain keywords, it ranks who has better traction.
- Reporting is a weakness with the platform. It is not the easiest process to implement and the information can be better organized.
- There are inaccuracies with the PPC reporting, especially for competitors. To our knowledge, the only way that PPC budgets are estimated is through ads that have already been clicked on the search network. This means that display, programmatic and other ad formats are not counted.
- International KW targeting
- Competitive intelligence / identifies competitors KWs and campaign spends
- Organic and paid search overall campaign health
- No API integrations with marketing automation platforms (that I am aware of)
- Reporting is a bit wonky
- Usability can use some improvements
- This product links competitor data quite easily in the dashboard, from one domain to the next.
- The overviews for each domain are clear and comprehensive, making the birds-eye-view complete.
- The PPC vs. SEO views are clearly defined and easy to navigate.
- Some of the competitor results seem unrelated to the primary domain. Much more manual research is required to get the best possible data.
- Some keywords are completely unrelated. Again, manual research is required to get the best data.
- Exporting to a CSV/PDF does not include manually added information. This is particularly disappointing.
- Ease of use
- Ability to see what advertising has been done in the past
- Ability to target keywords and see previous ads
- Some portions are not well explained as to what they are for
- Many keywords have no relevance to the selected business
- Graphs can be difficult to work with at times
- The Organic SEO dashboard provides insight into how your site is doing in search across all variables and suggests competitors to keep an eye on. I use the SEO dashboard to bring to attention what clients should focus their efforts on. The low hanging fruit that SpyFu brings to light is a breath of fresh air.
- The Kombat Tool in Spyfu is worth the price of admission as it helps me view keywords and ad copy that competitors use to get the best bang for their buck. By viewing what ad copy competition has been using for the longest along with what keywords they keep high bids on is a great launching point for any new adwords campaign
- When taking over Adwords or SEO accounts, failed vendors get bitter. Being able to download all Adwords and organic keywords allows you to focus on pushing the plan forward..
- Cover Binga nd Yahoo PPC
- Cover Ad networks (Display Placements!) like Ad GooRoo or Ad Spy and other such services
- Allow users to host a white label SpyFu dashboard on their domain using API or some such technique
- Give users a place to edit Adwords campaigns right in SpyFU!
- Visit trends
- SEM spend trends
- SEO trends
- Competitive intelligence
- The "Most Profitable Ads and Keywords" tool is often not functioning.
- More "export" options, including graphs into PDFs.
- A true Google Chrome extension that provides a drop-down snapshot.
- Monthly PPC/SEO Budget
- Organic/Paid keyword results
- Ad Results
- Ad Copy Preview
- Organic and Ad Competitors
- More up-to-date list of keywords
- More accurate range of PPC budget and SEO value
- Provide descriptions of the information provided
- Industry averages that can be compared to current data for the company
However for SEO it's feature set is a little bare bones. Basically the SEO tools are a nice bonus as opposed to being it's core product.
- PPC- shows in great detail what they have done in the past and what they are doing now
- SEO- it shows the history as well as their current options
- Keywords- every time I use those they tend to be a little iffy
- Ad position- once again it is not as accurate as I would like
- One of SpyFu's greatest strengths is that it is easy to understand and follow along through videos and training modules. As someone who struggles with technology, watching and re-watching these explanatory aids was crucial in understanding the benefits of the software itself.
- One of the most useful features is the Kombat tool, which allows you to see which keywords your direct competitors are honing in on or avoiding. This tool narrows down the keyword search so that you aren't wasting time on irrelevant keywords that your competitors aren't wasting time on either.
- Even if YOU can understand your findings, you still have to convey them to your client. SpyFu's Recon Files generate SEO and PPC Reports that are aesthetically pleasing, simple to follow and succinct for your client to follow along.
- Occasionally, SpyFu has been unable to find the website of a competitor, leading to a blank search.
- Sometimes the suggested keywords can be irrelevant to what I am trying to find.
- Compare multiple websites and users of a specific keyword.
- Able to show relative keywords that websites are targeting for organic search.
- Possibly expansions of results of different keywords.
- The effectiveness these keywords have on their websites.
- Venn diagrams for analyzing which PPC keywords you and your competitors are both bidding on. The data is incredibly useful and the diagrams are great to utilize during client presentations.
- Stellar user experience: The site is not bogged down by too many unnecessary bells and whistles. It's a very easy tool to pick up and start using without requiring much training.
- SpyFu also gives you a well rounded snapshot of the PPC Ad copy for your and your competitors. This can be extremely useful to better understand the variations in strategy that different companies are using to achieve their objectives.
- SpyFu could use a bit of a visual revamp. I believe that if it offered more of a visually pleasing aesthetic, people would use it more often.
- It would be great for SpyFu to develop an alert system that's triggered by major events or changes in your competitors keyword strategy (keyword type, bids, etc), or even if can identify when competitors are adding or implementing major edits to their ad copy.
- Providing a systematic dashboard of competitor's search marketing strategy.
- Providing a list of keywords as well as keyword analysis for a given domain.
- The SEO report and PPC report are in depth and detailed, providing useful information.
- Improve the visualization of the various reports. Some are not visually pleasing.
- Consider enabling real-time analysis of competitor keyword campaigns.
- Provide a guideline to how to interpret a SEO/PPC report.
SpyFu Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
SpyFu is the eponymous SEO and PPC research platform from the company in Scottsdale, Arizona focused on "spying" on competitors, or basically using their behaviors to refine your own through keyword and content analysis, and backlink poaching. This positional search engine optimization and paid listings management platform touts the ability to lower costs and raise rankings via a Kombat-oriented approach... basically a cute way of saying "it makes comparisons" of how well your site does in niche keyword areas vis-a-vis rival actors in the same or contiguous marketing space.
Published pricing starts at $79 per month with the Basic plan, for Google, Yahoo & Bing research, 6 years of historical access, unlimited access to SpyFu's tools, but somewhat limited access to leads and domain contacts keyword rank tracking. The $139 Professional plan gives full access to UK data and doubles the rank tracking of keywords from 400 to 800, and provides custom branded (white label) reports and API access. the $999 Agency plan gives team access (10 user logins) and unlimited tracking and reporting capabilities.
SpyFu Technical Details