Reviews (1-25 of 45)
- Helps our company choose the correct keywords for our campaigns
- Shows us our competitors keywords
- Gives us guidance for future campaigns
- Can be confusing on how to choose the correct keywords based on their recommendations
- Our industry is not listed on their google ads program helper which is disappointing
- They send out to many emails regarding their services.
- Gets info on competitor's websites. Simply putting in a domain name allows us to see what keywords they rank for organically, how much they spend on PPC and what their ads look like.
- Finds the best keywords for our clients. By showing what keywords are going to cost, how many searches per month, etc. it allows us to plan budgets more accurately.
- Obviously, not every website can be tracked. They add as many as they can, but sometimes a keyword or specific site just isn't being tracked yet.
- Paid keyword research.
- Insights into organic keyword positions.
- Recommendations of terms to concentrate attention.
- Impact of brand terms.
- Levels of impressions - local, national, global.
- Exporting of competitor ad copy.
- Provide competitive organic search data.
- Allows you to identify organic keywords for future content creation.
- As with any database, their keyword database has limits, so the data returned is relative to their database, not necessarily the full picture.
- When SpyFu database or scoring chances, the data provided can spike, thus causing confusion among stakeholders, we're reporting to.
- SpyFu is excellent at identifying big wins among competition or competitive gaps in organic and paid search results. If you are looking to get competitor data for comparison's sake (understanding that the data is useful but not the entire picture), it is well suited for that.
- If you are trying to compare your web analytics data to SpyFu data for your competition, that is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Traffic figures are an estimation.
- Affordable price point compared to other similar tools.
- An easy-to-use interface that makes it accessible to most of our employees regardless of experience level.
- Strong information for us to reference in our marketing research.
- SpyFu's data could possibly be a little more specific; compared to some other similar platforms, it's slightly simplistic.
- SpyFu could consider providing more competitor information outside of search, and delve into other platforms like social, as this data is becoming more widely available.
- SpyFu's user interface - while easy to navigate - also takes away a lot of customizations and levers you might be able to pull in other platforms.
I really like the feature that allows me to see ads that competitors are using.
Kombat is fun because you can compare yourself with competitors and see where there are similarities and differences.
- SpyFu shows keyword search volumes and related keywords which I struggle to find elsewhere.
- SpyFu shows details about any website's organic traffic.
- I would like to be able to see keyword search volumes for more countries.
- Discover profitable keywords.
- Review competitor's well-performing ads.
- Track your status on Google search results.
- The best feature of Spyfu is called "Kombat," where you compare the keywords used by you and your competitors and can see which ones generate a lot of results for them, and which you're not currently using.
- It is overwhelming first to navigate through all the available reports, but it's great that you can have a live orientation with one of their team members.
- The best tool for keyword research based on close competitors.
- The best tool for discovering what PPC strategy and budget your competitors are using.
- You can also use it for ad copy ideas.
- It would be great if it expanded to Facebook.
- The domain overview is extremely helpful - for CEOs, this dashboard is exactly the kind of quick hit, at-a-glance experience they want to see.
- Worst performing and top performing keywords for paid search - this is an invaluable tool to determine how to approach paid against a competitor.
- To adwords to buy - this is obviously a wonderful bit of intelligence for testing, and for the most part, holds up in battle testing.
- Reporting is terrible - meaning, the PDF feature does not lay out correctly.
- Easy to navigate. The user interface is pretty straightforward and easy to use.
- Projects: Create projects for your own company or for clients you are managing to track your efforts.
- Insights on ad spend, keywords and impression share.
- Price - I was a user for several years and trying out another platform, I canceled and was quickly offered the same platform I had used for years at half the price.
- I know the ad spend for Google Adwords is estimated - It would be helpful if it was a little more accurate - maybe not a doable feature of SpyFu, but would be helpful.
- Great for keyword research.
- Gain insights into what competitors are doing and ranking for.
- Allow multiple profiles for customers so I can have a client website and then it's competitors on a dashboard.
- Excellent at KW usage, costs, & recommendations.
- Traffic estimates are helpful for showing how effective a general marketing plan pushes traffic in relation to competition.
- Backlink tracking is nice to use for third-party proof of link sharing.
- Estimates could be more accurate.
- KW groupings could be broken down further in the SEM overview with costs & click frequency.
- Sometimes data does not transfer from one tab to another when reviewing a particular domain.
- Gives you the most popular Ads for each month.
- Shows you the keywords your competitors are using.
- Spyfu will show you an estimate of what they believe your competitor is spending and this number is always low. They should evaluate the keyword prices more to give a more relevant estimate.
- Free version only gives you around 20 keywords for each competitor. I wish it was larger.
- Must sign in to see any SpyFu information even for the free version. This is a new thing and I liked it better when it was anonymous for free.
- Comparison tool of how our website compares to similar websites is helpful to understand where we are strong and where we have room to improve.
- Identifying backlinks
- Reviewing and recommendations for keywords
- PPC reports for competition. SpyFu allows you to gain insight into possible budget spend as well as what their ads look like.
- The keyword tool within SpyFu is great for seeing what your web sites biggest hitters are as well as what your competition keywords stack against yours. If you share certain keywords, it ranks who has better traction.
- Reporting is a weakness with the platform. It is not the easiest process to implement and the information can be better organized.
- There are inaccuracies with the PPC reporting, especially for competitors. To our knowledge, the only way that PPC budgets are estimated is through ads that have already been clicked on the search network. This means that display, programmatic and other ad formats are not counted.
- International KW targeting
- Competitive intelligence / identifies competitors KWs and campaign spends
- Organic and paid search overall campaign health
- No API integrations with marketing automation platforms (that I am aware of)
- Reporting is a bit wonky
- Usability can use some improvements
SpyFu Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
What is SpyFu?
SpyFu is the eponymous SEO and PPC research platform from the company in Scottsdale, Arizona focused on "spying" on competitors, or basically using their behaviors to refine your own through keyword and content analysis, and backlink poaching. This positional search engine optimization and paid listings management platform touts the ability to lower costs and raise rankings via a Kombat-oriented approach... basically a cute way of saying "it makes comparisons" of how well your site does in niche keyword areas vis-a-vis rival actors in the same or contiguous marketing space.
Published pricing starts at $79 per month with the Basic plan, for Google, Yahoo & Bing research, 6 years of historical access, unlimited access to SpyFu's tools, but somewhat limited access to leads and domain contacts keyword rank tracking. The $139 Professional plan gives full access to UK data and doubles the rank tracking of keywords from 400 to 800, and provides custom branded (white label) reports and API access. the $999 Agency plan gives team access (10 user logins) and unlimited tracking and reporting capabilities.
- Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No
- Does not have featureFree or Freemium Version Available?No
- Does not have featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?No
- Entry-level set up fee?No
SpyFu Technical Details