SpyFu Reviews

Kathryn Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 20, 2020

SpyFu for Marketing Help

I work in the marketing dept, and we are the only ones who use SpyFu in the company. I help with our PPC/SEO/SEM strategies for Avidex, and this program helps us do a competitor analysis and strategize our marketing programs.
  • Helps our company choose the correct keywords for our campaigns
  • Shows us our competitors keywords
  • Gives us guidance for future campaigns
  • Can be confusing on how to choose the correct keywords based on their recommendations
  • Our industry is not listed on their google ads program helper which is disappointing
  • They send out to many emails regarding their services.
If you understand the PPC/SEO/SEM industry, then SpyFu would be helpful, but if you are a beginner, it can be a little overwhelming.
Read Kathryn Johnson's full review
Jake Hundley | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 30, 2020

The Best Competitor Research Tool Out There

We use Spyfu to see what kind of competition our clients are facing and for what keywords their competition is targeting. It's also a good measure to see what our client's viability is with their given budget before we launch their campaign. We'll primarily use it to assess keyword rankings before we have enough data in Google Search Console.
  • Free feature
  • Accurate data
  • Paid portion may seem a bit steep.
  • Free version is very limited with what you're able to see.
SpyFu has worked extremely well for us when we assess a prospect's market competition to see how competitive we need to be as a marketing agency, as well as what we should expect when launching ad campaigns as far as impression share goes. The data we're able to pull to show prospect's the climate of their market really impresses them. Once we have acquired that client, we focus less on what the competition is doing and more on how we can better optimize the keywords we're aiming for. In this instance, SpyFu isn't as applicable to us since we use another SEO/PPC tool for existing clients.
Read Jake Hundley's full review
George Louvis | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 30, 2020

Why I love SpyFu and you will too.

SpyFu is used primarily by me. Although my marketing team has access to it, I tend to be the one that uses it the most. We use it to find good keywords to use for our clients, as well as checking out what competitors are using and looking at their ads. Being able to see what ads specific competitors have been running, when they run them and their budget is a tremendous advantage for us in putting together plans for our clients.
  • Gets info on competitor's websites. Simply putting in a domain name allows us to see what keywords they rank for organically, how much they spend on PPC and what their ads look like.
  • Finds the best keywords for our clients. By showing what keywords are going to cost, how many searches per month, etc. it allows us to plan budgets more accurately.
  • Obviously, not every website can be tracked. They add as many as they can, but sometimes a keyword or specific site just isn't being tracked yet.
One of my clients owns a seasonal company. He is relatively small in an industry where he goes against national franchises. His annual budget is $100,000 per year. The national franchise spends that in one month. However, by looking at their ads and their keywords we can plan the best way to market against them and the best time to run specific ads with specific keywords and targets. It also helps us to optimize our site so that we rank organically for keywords they are paying for.
Read George Louvis's full review
Frank Watson | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 28, 2020

SpyFu comes through

SpyFu allows us to get insights into the terms used by competitors and helps us build a planned budget for paid search spend for new clients. It also now gives us insights into how our SEO efforts are faring. We can see what terms - either paid or organic - should be given attention. The information on the backlinks of competitors helps us discover places we should add to our client's backlink profiles. All in all this tool is an important part of our arsenal. I have been using it since the early days and am impressed with how the tool has matured and added elements.
  • Paid keyword research.
  • Insights into organic keyword positions.
  • Recommendations of terms to concentrate attention.
  • Impact of brand terms.
  • Levels of impressions - local, national, global.
  • Exporting of competitor ad copy.
If you need insights into the competitive landscape of any online space this tool is excellent. It also finds competitors via keywords both for paid and organic search. This provides an opportunity to see what keywords may have been overlooked or what terms should be looked at for organic - knowing that the rankings and traffic volume warrants it.
Read Frank Watson's full review
Bill Martin | TrustRadius Reviewer

SpyFu- Under the mask

SpyFu, along with other tools, allows us to see how people are accessing a potential client's website. We see a sample of what people have done in the past recent months — an example of organic terms that are puling up search results as well as some keyword research.
  • Paid search keywords
  • Organic keywords
  • Accuracy- any product like this can only be about 40% accurate.
  • Their account building tool could be more expansive, and not so 'set in stone'.
If you are looking for exact traffic numbers from various channels, not so good. Privacy concerns prevent this and keep accuracy in the sub-50% area. However, if you need some research on a website, it's one of the better ones and is an excellent way to augment Google's keyword planner
Read Bill Martin's full review
Ruben Diaz | TrustRadius Reviewer

SpyFu Review

I use SpyFu to see what my competitors are using as some of their keywords. Competitive analysis. I use it to analyze potential keywords that I may want to add to our campaigns. On many occasions, I also use it to see SEO data. Most importantly is the SEM Keyword analysis, which also shows spent data.
  • Shows Our Competitors in regards to PPC
  • Keyword Analysis
  • Doesn't differentiate between Google and other search engines.
  • Has no Bing Data
SpyFu is well suited to spy on your competition. See what they're bidding on and what they're not. How much they're spending. How long of a history they have with Ad words. In most situations, it gives you a better understanding of the whole Keyword search realm.
Read Ruben Diaz's full review
Austin Voigt | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 06, 2019

Accessible and easy to use

SpyFu is mainly used by our paid media department and SEO department for competitive research. However, it is also a great tool for us to better understand how search engines are perceiving our clients' sites and marketing initiatives and allows us to have a better understanding of the digital marketing landscape.
  • Affordable price point compared to other similar tools.
  • An easy-to-use interface that makes it accessible to most of our employees regardless of experience level.
  • Strong information for us to reference in our marketing research.
  • SpyFu's data could possibly be a little more specific; compared to some other similar platforms, it's slightly simplistic.
  • SpyFu could consider providing more competitor information outside of search, and delve into other platforms like social, as this data is becoming more widely available.
  • SpyFu's user interface - while easy to navigate - also takes away a lot of customizations and levers you might be able to pull in other platforms.
SpyFu has a very friendly user interface that is easy to navigate, it has a lower price entry point which is great for smaller businesses like ours, and it does provide the basic data we need for our digital marketing research from both an SEO and paid media perspective. However, there are a few things that get sacrificed with these benefits; the data is not as robust as other platforms, the user interface is not a bit over-simplistic and not as customizable, and you're definitely getting a bit less when you pay a bit less.
Read Austin Voigt's full review
January 27, 2020

Straightforward competitive keyword tool

We use SpyFu across the organization for competitive research and analysis of organic website traffic. It allows us to see how our own website stacks up to competitors as well as how our clients' websites compare to their competition. We also use it to identify organic search keyword opportunities for web content creation.
  • Provide competitive organic search data.
  • Allows you to identify organic keywords for future content creation.
  • As with any database, their keyword database has limits, so the data returned is relative to their database, not necessarily the full picture.
  • When SpyFu database or scoring chances, the data provided can spike, thus causing confusion among stakeholders, we're reporting to.
  • SpyFu is excellent at identifying big wins among competition or competitive gaps in organic and paid search results. If you are looking to get competitor data for comparison's sake (understanding that the data is useful but not the entire picture), it is well suited for that.
  • If you are trying to compare your web analytics data to SpyFu data for your competition, that is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Traffic figures are an estimation.
January 23, 2020

SpyFu is a great tool for agencies and marketing teams

We use SpyFu for PPC and SEO research. As an agency, we use it for our own purposes and for that of our clients. It's easy to by people on our team to quickly understand the cost of PPC terms and run competitive reports. We will run reports and send them to clients.
  • PPC Research
  • Competitive Research
  • Setting up Projects within SpyFu could be easier
SpyFu is great for agencies and internal marketing teams. It's easy to use by all people in a marketing role. Senior-level executives may not be interested in greater detail within reports and research. Still, those details are helpful for the marketing person running PPC campaigns or SEO related types of activities.
January 18, 2020

SpyFu Search Analytics Review

SpyFu is being used by my organization in a variety of ways. We are an agency that works with various businesses to solve numerous business issues in a number of different markets. SpyFu has helped to save time and to make overall marketing efforts more structured and strategized backed by validated data.
  • Keyword research.
  • Keyword groupings.
  • Additional paid media analytics.
Personally, I love using SpyFu in both the paid and free versions. It is one of the best free versions that you can get online for a search analytics tool. It helps to group keywords in various ways and find analytics around specific keywords and research similar ones to help improve your search engine strategies. It also offers great analytics and overviews on the activity on your web domain.
December 12, 2019

SpyFu is a lot of data for a great price.

SpyFu has been used by my organization for SEO/SEM research. Also, we used it for competitive analysis and keyword research. There is endless data available with SpyFu. It was used solely by the marketing department.
  • SEO Research.
  • Keyword Research.
  • The user interface could be more intuitive.
  • There's so much information, the learning curve can be fairly big.
I think that SpyFu is an awesome tool for the money. There is unlimited data that you can slice and dice. You just have to figure out what exactly you need in terms of SEO/SEM, PPC, competitive analysis &/or keyword research and then SpyFu can provide you with the reporting that you require.
January 18, 2020

SpyFu has given me the best value and insight for keyword and competitor research

I use SpyFu to do keyword and competitor research. I need to know the search volume of keywords and which keywords competitors are bidding on so that I may optimize my marketing strategies.
  • SpyFu shows keyword search volumes and related keywords which I struggle to find elsewhere.
  • SpyFu shows details about any website's organic traffic.
  • I would like to be able to see keyword search volumes for more countries.
If you are starting out your business idea, it is wise that you first do keyword research to make sure there is an interest in your business idea, especially if it's an online business. It is also very helpful when you want to see who will be your competitors and how well they are performing by reviewing their website.
Angela Lyons, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 27, 2019

I like SpyFu. You will too.

The marketing department at ClientHub uses SpyFu to research keywords and ad campaigns for our paid search initiatives. There are many tools out there to do this, but SpyFu is pretty straightforward. In addition, you can see what your competition is doing for keywords and ads. Without proper keyword research, a company can find themselves spending quite a bit on ineffective ad campaigns.
  • Educational resources
  • Competitor information
  • Intuitive interface
  • Affordable price
  • I can't think of anything in particular that needs room for improvement.
Spyfu is great for both PPC and SEO keyword research. You can also see what your competitors are doing which can give you ideas for your own company.

I really like the feature that allows me to see ads that competitors are using.

Kombat is fun because you can compare yourself with competitors and see where there are similarities and differences.
Read Angela Lyons, MBA's full review
Atilla Vekony | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 04, 2019

Discover profitable keywords

I use Spyfu to discover new profitable keywords for Google Ads and for SEO. It is also great to look at competitors' keywords and ads.
  • Discover profitable keywords.
  • Review competitor's well-performing ads.
  • Track your status on Google search results.
  • The best feature of Spyfu is called "Kombat," where you compare the keywords used by you and your competitors and can see which ones generate a lot of results for them, and which you're not currently using.
  • It is overwhelming first to navigate through all the available reports, but it's great that you can have a live orientation with one of their team members.
It is well suited for SEO firms and agencies serving other businesses. If it's just for your own business, it's probably overkill.
Read Atilla Vekony's full review
Max Milano | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 29, 2019

SpyFu is the spy that You Need.

Spyfu is one of the most useful tools for digital marketers out in the market right now. We use it for the obvious PPC keyword research, but the real value is at looking at competitors and figuring out their digital marketing strategy by looking at the keywords and budgets they have (or don't have).
  • The best tool for keyword research based on close competitors.
  • The best tool for discovering what PPC strategy and budget your competitors are using.
  • You can also use it for ad copy ideas.
  • It would be great if it expanded to Facebook.
Spyfu is a must before starting any AdWords campaign. If you didn't use it you would be in the dark about your competitors and it would waste a lot of your budget. Not really needed if you don't plan on running an Adwords campaign. It's still good to see what competitors are doing though.
Read Max Milano's full review
Sylvia Flores | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 21, 2018

Frictionless, affordable, and badass competitor intelligence you can act on right now!

I use it to provide competitive analysis for clients, specifically when I am performing a marketing and brand audit. This helps me to establish a baseline with the client on what they are up against, so we can attack with intention. :)
  • The domain overview is extremely helpful - for CEOs, this dashboard is exactly the kind of quick hit, at-a-glance experience they want to see.
  • Worst performing and top performing keywords for paid search - this is an invaluable tool to determine how to approach paid against a competitor.
  • To adwords to buy - this is obviously a wonderful bit of intelligence for testing, and for the most part, holds up in battle testing.
  • Reporting is terrible - meaning, the PDF feature does not lay out correctly.
I think it's an excellent tool for marketers to keep a consistent eye on their competitive landscape so they can pivot as required. But the reporting feature is not great and creates an additional layer of hands-on manual work.
Read Sylvia Flores's full review
Lee'Ann Burgess | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 17, 2018

SpyFu is a must-have for businesses!

SpyFu is a great tool to get an overview of your competitors' keywords they are ranking for, estimated ad spend on Google Ad words, samples of their ad copy and allows you create projects to help you track your SEO and marketing efforts. My main use for SpyFu is to gain insight on keywords and links that my competitors and my clients' competitors are using.
  • Easy to navigate. The user interface is pretty straightforward and easy to use.
  • Projects: Create projects for your own company or for clients you are managing to track your efforts.
  • Insights on ad spend, keywords and impression share.
  • Price - I was a user for several years and trying out another platform, I canceled and was quickly offered the same platform I had used for years at half the price.
  • I know the ad spend for Google Adwords is estimated - It would be helpful if it was a little more accurate - maybe not a doable feature of SpyFu, but would be helpful.
If you own your company and have any involvement with tracking your marketing efforts as well as keeping tabs on what your competitors are doing and how they are ranking, I would recommend using SpyFu and at the very least, try it out for free to see if it is a good fit for you and your organization. It's a helpful tool and I have been using it for several years for my company.
Read Lee'Ann Burgess's full review
Kiar Olson | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 08, 2019

SpyFu makes a great resource for competitor keyword research

We use SpyFu to help our customers gain insight into their competitor's most important keywords and what they are spending money on. It also gave us valuable keyword research for new markets and looking for new niches our customers require.
  • Great for keyword research.
  • Gain insights into what competitors are doing and ranking for.
  • Allow multiple profiles for customers so I can have a client website and then it's competitors on a dashboard.
For someone in the website marketing and SEO business, it's a great tool to help find the best keywords that work for competitors.
Read Kiar Olson's full review
Sharon A. Dawson, DTM | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 27, 2018

Get competitive data easily with SpyFu

The Marketing and Sales team of my company find SpyFu very helpful to check on our clients' websites, their competitors', and potential new customers.
  • Compare ranking versus competitor sites
  • Look up keywords relevant to site
  • See PPC ads
  • Get traffic data on competitor sites without needed their Google Analytics access
  • Would be nice to do more customization to the competitive ranking graph
Great for determining a strategy for digital marketing and SEO updates for a website, and to see how changes you made to the site help it improve over time.
Read Sharon A. Dawson, DTM's full review
Johnny Norris | TrustRadius Reviewer

Spyfu Usage Benefits

SpyFu is an excellent tool for getting a baseline of a client's web presence as well as their status vs their competition. It allows us to reveal some underpinnings of why or why not to make certain changes to their marketing strategy. It is also good for audits of web links, SEM, & industry trends.
  • Excellent at KW usage, costs, & recommendations.
  • Traffic estimates are helpful for showing how effective a general marketing plan pushes traffic in relation to competition.
  • Backlink tracking is nice to use for third-party proof of link sharing.
  • Estimates could be more accurate.
  • KW groupings could be broken down further in the SEM overview with costs & click frequency.
  • Sometimes data does not transfer from one tab to another when reviewing a particular domain.
SpyFu, in general, is a great every day tool for finding talking points for meetings, tracking general trends with competition, & for building KW sets.
Read Johnny Norris's full review

A Comprehensive Competitive Analysis in One Place

As a primarily entrepreneur company, we are constantly looking to optimize our own campaigns—but in optimization comes beating out our competitors. We use SpyFu currently to look into exactly what our competitors are doing. Based on what they are doing we are able to tweet our own campaigns so that we can maintain competitiveness in the market.
  • Showing exactly what keywords our competitors are targeting, shows which ones we should target ourselves.
  • When determining a marketing budget for a new project, we are able to project how much SEO would cost based on what our competitors are doing.
  • Looking at what the competitors have in their backlinks helps us with optimizing our own website and landing pages.
  • Some of the smaller websites that don't receive much traffic are often hard to complete competitive analyses for.
Whenever a teammate has to complete a competitive analysis or asks about what the "others" are doing - I always will recommend that they use SpyFu to answer those questions. "what keywords should we target?" are also able to be answered using SpyFu. This helps when setting up a Bing or Google Adwords campaign.
December 18, 2018

SpyFu for Competitive Intelligence

We use SpyFu to help us formulate our initial SEO and PPC keyword strategy for our clients by looking at their competitor's websites. Instead of starting from scratch, we find it useful to look at the keywords that are already performing for the competition to identify opportunities and as well as areas that have been ignored.
  • SEO Keywords
  • PPC Keywords
  • Look-a-Like Audience Development
  • Accuracy
  • Breadth of Research
SpyFu is an essential source of information that can be used to set the initial assumptions guiding a digital marketing campaign. However, because the data is not a primary source it would be a mistake to continue to guide campaign decisions in the long haul using this tool. Google Analytics and primary source advertising data is ultimately the key.
November 29, 2018

An SEO competitive analysis tool that drives action

We use SpyFu in the marketing department. This tool is being used to help us in our content creation and looking at gaining competitor insights regarding our content direction. This gives us keyword insights not only for organic search but for paid search as well. The typical process we go through takes on 2 forms. The first is reviewing a keyword and looking for variations and then reviewing the landscape for that keyword. The second direction we take is inputting a competitor and see where they are dedicating their efforts for content creation outside brand names.
  • Extensive amounts of competitor data
  • Touches on both paid and organic search opportunities
  • Easy graphs to help illustrate competitive landscape
  • Since this tool scrapes millions of keywords listings it does take some manual filtering via Excel to get to what is truly going on.
  • It would be nice if they expanded into social as well to be able to have an all-in-one tool
  • A themes breakdown would help to eliminate the need for manual sorting and filtering
SpyFu is meant to be a competitive analysis tool and give you an idea where your competitors are with their content. This is not a standalone keyword research tool. I highly recommend utilizing at least one other service to back up keyword opportunities that are uncovered using SpyFu. The same goes in the opposite direction I would not suggest diving into a keyword theme without knowing how the competition is ranking and using that theme.
Jordan Comstock | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 20, 2018

SpyFu is great for keyword research

My main use for SpyFu has been for advanced competitive keyword research. It is very easy to pull thousands of keywords for myself, and my competitors using SpyFu. Another big use of it is the reporting they provide. They auto-generate excellent SEO reports every month or so. They are a vital tool to our SEO success.
  • Keyword research
  • Reporting
  • Online ad research
  • Links are not as comprehensive as I would like
  • More tools than I use, which really isn't a bad thing
SpyFu is my favorite tool to gather mass keywords. So if you were looking to do competitive keyword research for your long term SEO strategy, it would be important to get as many keywords as possible. They don't charge by the row or anything, so you can grab many many keywords from as many competitors as you would like.
Read Jordan Comstock's full review
Rachel Hensley | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 04, 2018

SpyFu the best on competitor analysis.

SpyFu was used for me to do competition analysis on our direct competitors regarding Adwords. It gave me ideas about the Adwords Keywords our main competitors were buying and what their most successful Adwords ads were. SpyFu also estimates how much your competitors spend on Adwords monthly which is valuable information when you are in a very competitive field.
  • Gives you the most popular Ads for each month.
  • Shows you the keywords your competitors are using.
  • Spyfu will show you an estimate of what they believe your competitor is spending and this number is always low. They should evaluate the keyword prices more to give a more relevant estimate.
  • Free version only gives you around 20 keywords for each competitor. I wish it was larger.
  • Must sign in to see any SpyFu information even for the free version. This is a new thing and I liked it better when it was anonymous for free.
If you are just developing an AdWords campaign, SpyFu is one of the first places to start to see what the most successful businesses are doing with their Adwords strategy. It is also good to continually watch so you can always stay ahead of the industry you are in.
Read Rachel Hensley's full review

Keyword analysis (36)
Backlink management (27)
SERP ranking tracking (29)
Page grader (20)
6.0
Competitive analysis (35)
Site audit / diagnostics (23)
Site recommendations (20)
Mobile SEO (22)
6.5
Global SEO (24)
Multi-domain support (19)
Integration with web analytics tools (13)
6.7

About SpyFu

SpyFu is the eponymous SEO and PPC research platform from the company in Scottsdale, Arizona focused on "spying" on competitors, or basically using their behaviors to refine your own through keyword and content analysis, and backlink poaching. This positional search engine optimization and paid listings management platform touts the ability to lower costs and raise rankings via a Kombat-oriented approach... basically a cute way of saying "it makes comparisons" of how well your site does in niche keyword areas vis-a-vis rival actors in the same or contiguous marketing space.

Published pricing starts at $79 per month with the Basic plan, for Google, Yahoo & Bing research, 6 years of historical access, unlimited access to SpyFu's tools, but somewhat limited access to leads and domain contacts keyword rank tracking. The $139 Professional plan gives full access to UK data and doubles the rank tracking of keywords from 400 to 800, and provides custom branded (white label) reports and API access. the $999 Agency plan gives team access (10 user logins) and unlimited tracking and reporting capabilities.

SpyFu Competitors