SpyFu- give it a tru!

May 19, 2022

SpyFu - A worthy competitor.

May 18, 2022

Great tools for a great price

May 17, 2022

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Best of Award, Best Of Feature Set 2021
TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2020
TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2019

Competitive analysis (44)

Keyword analysis (45)

SERP ranking tracking (37)

Backlink management (33)

6.0

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of SpyFu, and make your voice heard!

Basic

SpyFu Demo

SpyFu Competitors

SpyFu Technical Details

What is SpyFu?

SpyFu is the eponymous SEO and PPC research platform from the company in Scottsdale, Arizona focused on "spying" on competitors, or basically using their behaviors to refine your own through keyword and content analysis, and backlink poaching. This positional search engine optimization and paid listings management platform touts the ability to lower costs and raise rankings via a Kombat-oriented approach... basically a cute way of saying "it makes comparisons" of how well your site does in niche keyword areas vis-a-vis rival actors in the same or contiguous marketing space. Published pricing starts at $79 per month with the Basic plan, for Google, Yahoo & Bing research, 6 years of historical access, unlimited access to SpyFu's tools, but somewhat limited access to leads and domain contacts keyword rank tracking. The $139 Professional plan gives full access to UK data and doubles the rank tracking of keywords from 400 to 800, and provides custom branded (white label) reports and API access. the $999 Agency plan gives team access (10 user logins) and unlimited tracking and reporting capabilities.

What are SpyFu's top competitors?

Moz Pro and RavenTools are common alternatives for SpyFu.

What is SpyFu's best feature?

Reviewers rate Competitive analysis highest, with a score of 8.9.

Who uses SpyFu?

The most common users of SpyFu are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Marketing & Advertising industry.

We are looking for help with ranking our website in both paid and organic searches. SEO keyword research can be overwhelming, and we did not want to spend hundreds of hours looking for the correct terms. We are a retail business primarily focused on the luxury space in the business-to-business and business-to-consumer marketplace.
  • Scan competitors websites.
  • Provide keyword recommendations.
  • Provide SEO tips.
  • Cost
  • Heard to search competitor keywords.
  • Monthly vs annual billing.
SpyFu is great at providing keyword recommendations and canning your own website to give an overall SEO health score; however, the data they provide is for the advanced SEO and paid search marketer. I could see the tool being less appropriate if a team had no one able to comprehend the data and implement it. If the latter is the case, SpyFu is another wasted data source.
I used SpyFu to evaluate how competitors were advertising on Google Adwords. I used the text ad content, dynamic ad insertions, and display ads to create my own similar ads. I also used keyword targeting to create my own keywords to target based on competitors' keywords they use for bidding.
  • Keyword research
  • Text ad and display ad research
  • Competitive analysis
  • Keyword rank tracking
  • Rank tracking does not work very well and doesn't provide as much information as competitors
  • Backlink analysis is not very intutive
  • Data isn't always accurate for some of my competitors
When you want to do competitive research based on what they are advertising, this is one of the best solutions. Say you don't know what type of text ads you are creating, or need display ad ideas, their spy tools are helpful. They also help you determine what type of keywords and targeting you should be doing.
Lisa Arrington | TrustRadius Reviewer
SpyFu has been very helpful for compiling competitor data and identifying opportunities with this research. The usefulness in regards to using it for Paid Search is great! Specifically, SpyFu's capability to deliver a particular domain's ad history is very helpful in seeing what changes were made and how we can remain competitive.
  • Competitor Insights
  • Paid Search Ad History
  • SERP comparisons
  • Organic search data
  • Integrating more content-creation tools for ad copy
  • Allowing more free features
SpyFu is a great platform for companies seeking competitive data, both for organic and paid search. It's paid search capabilities are more helpful than it's organic search capabilities, not because the tool is not powerful, but because alternative platforms like Semrush or Ahrefs are a little more thorough on the organic side. For paid search, SpyFu is one of my favorite tools!
The main purpose of using SpyFu for our website was to understand who our competitors were, where they were and what they were doing. Not only were we able to keep a tab on the organic activities of our competitors but also paid activities. Additionally, we were able to identify other similar files which we could have missed had it not been for the SpyFu's feature that allows us to do so.
All this allowed us to form more compelling strategy and outrun our competitor.
  • Keeping a tab on competitors organic and inorganic activities
  • Helps identify where the competitor is getting the backlinks from.
  • Identify competitors top content and the keywords that's bringing them traffic
  • Get proper information of their current and past ADS run on Google.
  • SpyFu can only support and fetch data from limited countries.
  • Certain glitches like page not connecting
  • The information isn't always complete for some websites.
It is well suited if you want a software with a clean UI with less confusions and distractions. Spyfu does a great job in supporting you in your digital marketing activities be in SEO or be it PPC. It's good if you want a single software to cater to different marketing verticals without spending a lot of capital on a software.

On the other hand, the data isn't always accurate when compared to other softwares in the same category, although these softwares could be a lot expensive that SpyFu.
We use SpyFu periodically to monitor our search ranking, organic / paid traffic, and what keywords we are currently utilizing through our website. We also use SpyFu to monitor our main competitor's search engine ranking and to identify new keywords or opportunities for paid search. The primary goal of using this program is to rank higher in search.
  • Keyword tracking
  • Competitor research
  • paid SEO results
  • Guides of product use for beginners
It is well suited for people trying to identify how to improve their SEO and compare their PPC with competitors. It is not well suited for things outside of the realm of SEO. I have seen better tools for page improvement recommendations from other products, SpyFu does a great job at looking at your entire site.
Tyler Heaps | TrustRadius Reviewer
SpyFu is a great tool for competitive research and paid search research. I like to conduct my research for all my paid ad campaigns and then export my results into a spreadsheet and find the most profitable keywords and other low-hanging fruit that I am not currently trying to rank for advertising. This has proven to be a very effective tool to conduct this research.
  • Competitive Research
  • Keyword Research
  • Paid Keyword Analysis
  • Cohort analysis
  • Conditional formatting to find best keywords
I have used SpyFu for a long time and it is one of the best tools I have used to conduct competitive research and keyword analysis. I have recommended this tool to each company I have worked with because it continues to produce high-quality results. As long as you can do your own keyword analysis this is a great tool to collect the data.
At our full-scale marketing agency, we use SpyFu for SEM and SEO business intelligence. SpyFu helps us get an idea of our clients' competitors' monthly spending, ad copy, keywords, SEO rankings, and much more, allowing us to present findings and pivot campaign strategies quickly. A tool like this can take the "guessing" out of competitor conquest, or even defend our own brand name against competitor bids.
  • Provides competitive intelligence
  • Provides SEO ranking history
  • Suggests negative keyword additions
  • Accuracy of competitor PPC spend could be improved (we have proven this against our own URLs)
  • Relevancy of Google Ads keyword "Buy recommendations"
  • More complete (far-reaching) view of Ad Histories
As a Paid Search specialist, SpyFu has helped me provide my clients with metrics for their direct and indirect competitors: average monthly spend, lists of competitor keywords, examples of ETA and RSA ad copy, and even this new "K6mbat" feature where we can position ourselves head-to-head against any competitors to see how we stack up in the market.
SpyFu is being used by my old organization Townsquare Interactive to find out about the company's SEO and PPC usage. We can do research on potentials client's advertising spend and see where they are ranking for certain keywords.
  • can tell advertising spend
  • has data on all companies using PPC or SEO
  • user friendly
  • advertising spend is not always accurate
  • ranking are not always accurate
  • misses information
SpyFu is well suited because I can find information about a company and how they are advertising when it comes to SEO and PPC. SpyFu is less appropriate when users do other advertising that does not involve SEO or PPC.
SpyFu is a great competitive tool. It may not have the most bells and whistles, but it does provide the primary function needed for search advertiser evaluations. We don't take the spend data as gospel from it, but it provides fairly strong directional insight for us to work with. The price isn't too bad either.
  • Competitive landscape
  • Volume demand
  • Creative insight
  • Deep data analysis
  • Spend accuracy
  • High min traffic thresholds
Overall Spyfu isn't to shabby of a platform. Is the best? No. Is it the worst? Also no. But it is a good option for any ad agency that does search engine marketing, whose client focus is larger than small medium businesses. However once you get to the major enterprise size advertisers, you may have outgrown the platform.
I use SpyFu mainly to look up keywords to use in my SEO for blogs and website[s]. I also use it to research competitors. [...]
  • Keyword research
  • Identifying questions people have
  • Helping me see what my competitors are doing
  • Training would be awesome
I always recommend SpyFu. I do everything for my business, so I am not an SEO specialist. However, SpyFu is easy to use. I am sure I could be doing even more. However, even as a moderate user, I find the tool very helpful.
Kathryn Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
I work in the marketing dept, and we are the only ones who use SpyFu in the company. I help with our PPC/SEO/SEM strategies for Avidex, and this program helps us do a competitor analysis and strategize our marketing programs.
  • Helps our company choose the correct keywords for our campaigns
  • Shows us our competitors keywords
  • Gives us guidance for future campaigns
  • Can be confusing on how to choose the correct keywords based on their recommendations
  • Our industry is not listed on their google ads program helper which is disappointing
  • They send out to many emails regarding their services.
If you understand the PPC/SEO/SEM industry, then SpyFu would be helpful, but if you are a beginner, it can be a little overwhelming.
I've only contacted support once to suggest a new industry for the ads campaign template, and I never heard back from the company.
Jake Hundley | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Spyfu to see what kind of competition our clients are facing and for what keywords their competition is targeting. It's also a good measure to see what our client's viability is with their given budget before we launch their campaign. We'll primarily use it to assess keyword rankings before we have enough data in Google Search Console.
  • Free feature
  • Accurate data
  • Paid portion may seem a bit steep.
  • Free version is very limited with what you're able to see.
SpyFu has worked extremely well for us when we assess a prospect's market competition to see how competitive we need to be as a marketing agency, as well as what we should expect when launching ad campaigns as far as impression share goes. The data we're able to pull to show prospect's the climate of their market really impresses them. Once we have acquired that client, we focus less on what the competition is doing and more on how we can better optimize the keywords we're aiming for. In this instance, SpyFu isn't as applicable to us since we use another SEO/PPC tool for existing clients.
I haven't needed to use SpyFu's customer support yet. Everything seems to work as intended. Or at least what I need it to do for our company.
George Louvis | TrustRadius Reviewer
SpyFu is used primarily by me. Although my marketing team has access to it, I tend to be the one that uses it the most. We use it to find good keywords to use for our clients, as well as checking out what competitors are using and looking at their ads. Being able to see what ads specific competitors have been running, when they run them and their budget is a tremendous advantage for us in putting together plans for our clients.
  • Gets info on competitor's websites. Simply putting in a domain name allows us to see what keywords they rank for organically, how much they spend on PPC and what their ads look like.
  • Finds the best keywords for our clients. By showing what keywords are going to cost, how many searches per month, etc. it allows us to plan budgets more accurately.
  • Obviously, not every website can be tracked. They add as many as they can, but sometimes a keyword or specific site just isn't being tracked yet.
One of my clients owns a seasonal company. He is relatively small in an industry where he goes against national franchises. His annual budget is $100,000 per year. The national franchise spends that in one month. However, by looking at their ads and their keywords we can plan the best way to market against them and the best time to run specific ads with specific keywords and targets. It also helps us to optimize our site so that we rank organically for keywords they are paying for.
SpyFu comes with a link to tutorial videos. I recommend you watch them. The software is capable of so much you really need to watch the videos and learn how to get the most out of it. When I have a question 90% of the time it's there. When it isn't, and I reach out to them, support is always quick and concise.
January 28, 2020

SpyFu comes through

Frank Watson | TrustRadius Reviewer
SpyFu allows us to get insights into the terms used by competitors and helps us build a planned budget for paid search spend for new clients. It also now gives us insights into how our SEO efforts are faring. We can see what terms - either paid or organic - should be given attention. The information on the backlinks of competitors helps us discover places we should add to our client's backlink profiles. All in all this tool is an important part of our arsenal. I have been using it since the early days and am impressed with how the tool has matured and added elements.
  • Paid keyword research.
  • Insights into organic keyword positions.
  • Recommendations of terms to concentrate attention.
  • Impact of brand terms.
  • Levels of impressions - local, national, global.
  • Exporting of competitor ad copy.
If you need insights into the competitive landscape of any online space this tool is excellent. It also finds competitors via keywords both for paid and organic search. This provides an opportunity to see what keywords may have been overlooked or what terms should be looked at for organic - knowing that the rankings and traffic volume warrants it.
Knowledgeable staff and chat support, they are always helpful.
We use SpyFu across the organization for competitive research and analysis of organic website traffic. It allows us to see how our own website stacks up to competitors as well as how our clients' websites compare to their competition. We also use it to identify organic search keyword opportunities for web content creation.
  • Provide competitive organic search data.
  • Allows you to identify organic keywords for future content creation.
  • As with any database, their keyword database has limits, so the data returned is relative to their database, not necessarily the full picture.
  • When SpyFu database or scoring chances, the data provided can spike, thus causing confusion among stakeholders, we're reporting to.
  • SpyFu is excellent at identifying big wins among competition or competitive gaps in organic and paid search results. If you are looking to get competitor data for comparison's sake (understanding that the data is useful but not the entire picture), it is well suited for that.
  • If you are trying to compare your web analytics data to SpyFu data for your competition, that is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Traffic figures are an estimation.
I have never taken advantage of SpyFu customer support, but it seems easy to access in the event a user requires support.
January 24, 2020

SpyFu- Under the mask

SpyFu, along with other tools, allows us to see how people are accessing a potential client's website. We see a sample of what people have done in the past recent months — an example of organic terms that are puling up search results as well as some keyword research.
  • Paid search keywords
  • Organic keywords
  • Accuracy- any product like this can only be about 40% accurate.
  • Their account building tool could be more expansive, and not so 'set in stone'.
If you are looking for exact traffic numbers from various channels, not so good. Privacy concerns prevent this and keep accuracy in the sub-50% area. However, if you need some research on a website, it's one of the better ones and is an excellent way to augment Google's keyword planner
I have not needed support.
January 24, 2020

SpyFu Review

Ruben Diaz | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use SpyFu to see what my competitors are using as some of their keywords. Competitive analysis. I use it to analyze potential keywords that I may want to add to our campaigns. On many occasions, I also use it to see SEO data. Most importantly is the SEM Keyword analysis, which also shows spent data.
  • Shows Our Competitors in regards to PPC
  • Keyword Analysis
  • Doesn't differentiate between Google and other search engines.
  • Has no Bing Data
SpyFu is well suited to spy on your competition. See what they're bidding on and what they're not. How much they're spending. How long of a history they have with Ad words. In most situations, it gives you a better understanding of the whole Keyword search realm.
Haven't reached out to their support team.
We use SpyFu for PPC and SEO research. As an agency, we use it for our own purposes and for that of our clients. It's easy to by people on our team to quickly understand the cost of PPC terms and run competitive reports. We will run reports and send them to clients.
  • PPC Research
  • Competitive Research
  • Setting up Projects within SpyFu could be easier
SpyFu is great for agencies and internal marketing teams. It's easy to use by all people in a marketing role. Senior-level executives may not be interested in greater detail within reports and research. Still, those details are helpful for the marketing person running PPC campaigns or SEO related types of activities.
I've only had one issue to reach out to SpyFu support a while back, and they were extremely responsive.
SpyFu is being used by my organization in a variety of ways. We are an agency that works with various businesses to solve numerous business issues in a number of different markets. SpyFu has helped to save time and to make overall marketing efforts more structured and strategized backed by validated data.
  • Keyword research.
  • Keyword groupings.
  • Additional paid media analytics.
Personally, I love using SpyFu in both the paid and free versions. It is one of the best free versions that you can get online for a search analytics tool. It helps to group keywords in various ways and find analytics around specific keywords and research similar ones to help improve your search engine strategies. It also offers great analytics and overviews on the activity on your web domain.
I personally think that SpyFu has great support. In my time using this product for both myself and for my clients and customers, I have not experienced any problems with SpyFu or their support for their website or their services.
I use SpyFu to do keyword and competitor research. I need to know the search volume of keywords and which keywords competitors are bidding on so that I may optimize my marketing strategies.
  • SpyFu shows keyword search volumes and related keywords which I struggle to find elsewhere.
  • SpyFu shows details about any website's organic traffic.
  • I would like to be able to see keyword search volumes for more countries.
If you are starting out your business idea, it is wise that you first do keyword research to make sure there is an interest in your business idea, especially if it's an online business. It is also very helpful when you want to see who will be your competitors and how well they are performing by reviewing their website.
I have not used their support.
SpyFu has been used by my organization for SEO/SEM research. Also, we used it for competitive analysis and keyword research. There is endless data available with SpyFu. It was used solely by the marketing department.
  • SEO Research.
  • Keyword Research.
  • The user interface could be more intuitive.
  • There's so much information, the learning curve can be fairly big.
I think that SpyFu is an awesome tool for the money. There is unlimited data that you can slice and dice. You just have to figure out what exactly you need in terms of SEO/SEM, PPC, competitive analysis &/or keyword research and then SpyFu can provide you with the reporting that you require.
I actually haven't ever had any dealings with SpyFu support or customer service, so I can't provide a rating on this aspect of the service.
Austin Voigt | TrustRadius Reviewer
SpyFu is mainly used by our paid media department and SEO department for competitive research. However, it is also a great tool for us to better understand how search engines are perceiving our clients' sites and marketing initiatives and allows us to have a better understanding of the digital marketing landscape.
  • Affordable price point compared to other similar tools.
  • An easy-to-use interface that makes it accessible to most of our employees regardless of experience level.
  • Strong information for us to reference in our marketing research.
  • SpyFu's data could possibly be a little more specific; compared to some other similar platforms, it's slightly simplistic.
  • SpyFu could consider providing more competitor information outside of search, and delve into other platforms like social, as this data is becoming more widely available.
  • SpyFu's user interface - while easy to navigate - also takes away a lot of customizations and levers you might be able to pull in other platforms.
SpyFu has a very friendly user interface that is easy to navigate, it has a lower price entry point which is great for smaller businesses like ours, and it does provide the basic data we need for our digital marketing research from both an SEO and paid media perspective. However, there are a few things that get sacrificed with these benefits; the data is not as robust as other platforms, the user interface is not a bit over-simplistic and not as customizable, and you're definitely getting a bit less when you pay a bit less.
I rated the support as neutral, due to the fact that I have not yet needed to reach out to SpyFu's support for any issues in my experience with the platform, therefore I do not have a solid way to rate their support.
Angela Lyons, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
The marketing department at ClientHub uses SpyFu to research keywords and ad campaigns for our paid search initiatives. There are many tools out there to do this, but SpyFu is pretty straightforward. In addition, you can see what your competition is doing for keywords and ads. Without proper keyword research, a company can find themselves spending quite a bit on ineffective ad campaigns.
  • Educational resources
  • Competitor information
  • Intuitive interface
  • Affordable price
  • I can't think of anything in particular that needs room for improvement.
Spyfu is great for both PPC and SEO keyword research. You can also see what your competitors are doing which can give you ideas for your own company.

I really like the feature that allows me to see ads that competitors are using.

Kombat is fun because you can compare yourself with competitors and see where there are similarities and differences.
Atilla Vekony | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Spyfu to discover new profitable keywords for Google Ads and for SEO. It is also great to look at competitors' keywords and ads.
  • Discover profitable keywords.
  • Review competitor's well-performing ads.
  • Track your status on Google search results.
  • The best feature of Spyfu is called "Kombat," where you compare the keywords used by you and your competitors and can see which ones generate a lot of results for them, and which you're not currently using.
  • It is overwhelming first to navigate through all the available reports, but it's great that you can have a live orientation with one of their team members.
It is well suited for SEO firms and agencies serving other businesses. If it's just for your own business, it's probably overkill.
Max Milano | TrustRadius Reviewer
Spyfu is one of the most useful tools for digital marketers out in the market right now. We use it for the obvious PPC keyword research, but the real value is at looking at competitors and figuring out their digital marketing strategy by looking at the keywords and budgets they have (or don't have).
  • The best tool for keyword research based on close competitors.
  • The best tool for discovering what PPC strategy and budget your competitors are using.
  • You can also use it for ad copy ideas.
  • It would be great if it expanded to Facebook.
Spyfu is a must before starting any AdWords campaign. If you didn't use it you would be in the dark about your competitors and it would waste a lot of your budget. Not really needed if you don't plan on running an Adwords campaign. It's still good to see what competitors are doing though.