Google Ads Reviews

April 14, 2021
Scott Walker | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Google [Ads (formerly AdWords)] on behalf of our clients for a variety of different success metrics. Many of our campaigns are focused on conversions: purchases, calls, or bookings for services. Though measuring these conversions can be a bit tricky (as with any system), Google Ads is probably the easiest to measure the actual performance. Additionally, Google Ads uses machine learning to ensure that you are optimizing your ads and placement for maximum conversions for the ad spend. Other campaigns focus on win-back and remarketing, overall web traffic, and brand recognition (awareness) campaigns. Something new we've started doing for certain clients is using the Local Services Ads (Google Guarantee). These have been tremendously helpful and are one of my new favorite tools for certain industries.
  • Automatic Ad Creation
  • Machine Learning-based refinement
  • Keyword Research
  • Performance Planning
  • Display Advertising
  • Search Advertising
  • Search Term refinement
  • Reporting is powerful but clunky
  • Budget Management leaves a lot to be desired (no monthly maximum spend option)
  • Recommendations are almost always trying to increase budget
  • Quarterly Google Ads techs are often less experienced than average user
  • Appeal Process is very vague and doesn't allow for explanations
There's no mystery here: when it comes to Search Engine Marketing, Google reigns supreme. Though you can still get decent performance from Yahoo and Bing, if you want to reach most searchers, you need to use Google Ads [(formerly AdWords)]. And, with the power and polish in Google Ads, there's rarely any reason to use a third-party ad purchasing platform. Display Advertising may be better with an different platform, but Google still has some of the best display placements and prices available.

I used to think local services (think plumbers, repair shops, etc) weren't very well suited for Google Ads [(formerly AdWords)], but recently their local inventory options and their new Local Services Ads have really made Google a powerhouse for local businesses.

There are certain business types that might find Google Ads [(formerly AdWords)] difficult to use. Google has an extensive yet confusing list of products and services it won't allow you to advertise, such as weapons, fireworks, pharmaceuticals, gambling, etc. And these categories and policies will often prevent similar or related (though not disallowed) industries to get blocked as well. So, for industries even tangentially related to risky industries, you may find Google Ads to frustrating to deal with.
Read Scott Walker's full review
April 16, 2021
Danilo Roberto Zerón | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Ads offers all eligible 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations the annual grant credit amounting to a maximum of $120,000 of advertising credit via Google Ads. The primary objectives that this completely free advertising credit affords our organization include, fundraising opportunities, general brand awareness, recruiting for volunteers, and promoting special events within the community.
  • Keyword-Based Targeting.
  • Integration with Google Analytics.
  • Lead Generation, Brand Awareness, and Website/Phone Call Traffic.
  • User Interface & Algorithms Dictating Ad Auction Regularly Change.
  • Google Ads Support "Strategists" Recommend Ill-Advised Structural Account Changes Far Too Often.
  • American/Fluent-English-Speaking Customer Phone Support Only Available for Accounts with Massive Advertising Budgets.
Google Ads is well-suited for organizations seeking to utilize Search Engine Marketing as a medium for increasing brand awareness, promoting direct response marketing offers, achieving & sustaining ROAS (i.e. Return on Advertising Spend) or ROI (i.e. Return on Investment) via an online mechanism, generating highly-qualified online leads via website or phone call traffic, and scaling an organization's business or revenue growth.
Read Danilo Roberto Zerón's full review
April 13, 2021
Patrick Stephens | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is used solely in my department. I do use it on consulting assignments, and have often taught individuals how to use it, so my experience lies in several facets with the program. Ultimately, it addresses our need for digital marketing.
  • Options. It gives you plenty of ways to customize and build your ads as you wish (obviously within their parameters).
  • User Functionality. While it would be burdensome (see weaknesses) for some, if you are familiar with these types of programs then you will be able to navigate around Google Ads pretty easily.
  • Budget Friendly. You can set your own budget. That, in and of itself, is key for us.
  • Support. Almost every account rep we've had has been a bully. They've harassed our employees to get to me, all to tell me that they think I need to raise my budget (mind you, as a school we aren't able to simply raise a budget just because someone thinks we should). In another instance, an account rep was claiming to help us (this was several years ago), and made changes on the ads - they ended up making the ads for something we were not affiliated with.
  • Not for Beginners. Many marketing companies use the expansive display as a way to stymie clients, making it seem like the overview is more complicated than it seems. If you are new to the program, you will be fooled. Be mindful that this facet of Google Ads allows for manipulation.
It can be a great deal of your marketing. If you study how the program works, and how the ad space runs, then you can make this work for you very well. For us, we have run ads for many years on Google Ads, refining the budget very carefully. We have been able to suss out competitors' tactics based on how the bids in our area look. It has not just readability for you, but for your industry.

Just be mindful that the representatives are there to raise your budget, first and foremost. Most marketing companies will go out of their way to confuse you by downloading the Overview and making it seem like they put in hours of work, especially if it nets them profit. Many industries just need someone to train an in-house person to handle the ads (which is also better because then you can avoid the third party not fully knowing your brand). Once you get it, you get it.
We have not yet had an account rep who hasn't tried to bully me or other employees to raise our budgets. At the same time, several years ago, one attempted to help refine our ads and ended up changing the ads to be something we were not affiliated with.
Read Patrick Stephens's full review
April 09, 2021
Missy Geyer | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Ads is being utilized for our digital department. We run AdWords campaigns on behalf of our clients. We run anything from your typical search campaign, to display campaigns, shopping campaigns, and YouTube campaigns. We are a digital agency that can pitch and fulfill a client's Google AdWords campaign. We manage hundreds of clients on a monthly basis.
  • A strong audience
  • An easy to use UI
  • A great value proposition for clients
  • Many targeting capabilities
  • Could use some help in the ad builder, it would be great to have examples of ad copy to use.
  • The set up is easy, but it is a long process from start to finish.
Google Ads is perfectly suited for a number of client verticals. Real estate, home services, retail, restaurants, and general services, etc. It works well when there are a promotion or special driven offers to get more of a call to action. It is something great to have to run all year long and update throughout the year based off of seasonality and special offers!
Read Missy Geyer's full review
March 06, 2021
Monica Galloway | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am expanding my business as a vacation rental owner. I currently utilize various vacation rental websites that charge service and subscription fees. I am seeking other independent avenues to promote my vacation rental property to generate more business. This will allow me the opportunity to book reservations at a lower cost and to give my guests more personalized service.
  • Google Ads lures in new clients with great front-loaded discounts/credits.
  • Service representatives are slick with unrealistic goals for small businesses.
  • Google is world renowned and one would assume high expectations.
  • The Google representative prematurely activated my Ad Campaign before my website was completed. Subsequently, my credit card was charged for 1000's of 'clicks' and zero, not one booking inquiries.
  • There is no system in place to differentiate who or where the 'Clicks' are coming from. From me, my Google Ad Campaign representative, or one of Google Ads terrible service support team.
  • Good luck trying to get customer service to resolve any issues that pertains to specific complaints about the Ad being run prematurely or getting any kind of refund.
  • My initial contact with the Google Ads sales rep was just before Thanksgiving 2020. I started getting billed and paused the account on January 1. Since then I received a partial refund AND another bill for almost $300!
Once the Ad Campaign was initiated at the end of November 2020 my 'slick' Ad Specialist would not answer my emails or take my calls. When I noticed that my credit card was being charged I filed a complaint through Google Ad support link. Since that time I have received countless auto-response emails and have been directed to the 'support link'. This resulted in even more auto-response emails from Google Ads for promises that someone will call me or that my complaint has been forwarded to their review team. I was even sent emails stating that a phone call was attempted but "there was no connection"! What?!
More than I month after pausing the account on Jan 1, 2021 I received a partial refund. A week later I was billed again for almost $300! 3 weeks have gone by with several emails sent and phones calls made to Google Ads. Still no resolution. No explanation. No refund!
I would have rated Google Ads support team a zero if it were at all possible. Since the last week in November, 2020 I made countless attempts and spent over a month trying to reach a live person to help me. My website was incomplete, the Google Ad was running prematurely and my credit card was being charged. When I finally received a callback on Jan 1, 2021 it was advised that I pause my account and wait for the outcome for my refund. On February 4th I received a partial refund. I was in the process of contesting for the full refund. To my surprise on February 14th my credit card was billed again for almost $300!
Another call made and an email sent! As of today, 2 weeks have gone by and I have still not receive any word Google Ads. "Here we go round the Mulberry Bush!"

Addendum- The very day that I wrote this review I received this email from A Google Ads Manager II, Sales Service Delivery, "Hi Monica, We have confirmed there is
an issue with your refund and we are working diligently to resolve this!
Rest assured we will do everything we can to do right by you in this
situation".
Their "resolution" came the following morning when I received an email notice stating,"You are receiving this message because you have an outstanding balance on your Google AdWords Account"!
The nightmare continues! Unbelievable!!

Read Monica Galloway's full review
February 01, 2021
We are using Google Ads for about last 6 years. We are not able to make any profit using google Ads even after consulting numerous Google ads employees and external consultant. There are many marketing companies, who charges around 10% of the whole budget, even we consulted those companies. These kind of marketing companies simply run your Google Ads campaign and at the end of day, they do this to make some money.

Before you appoint any consulting companies, Ask them some minimum assurance on the ROI. If you are spending x amount of money ask your marketing company to get return of at least 3x or 4x or some amount. Marketing agencies might say, need few months to show results, after few months, you will be with empty pockets and no results using Google Ads.

Google Ads is completely bogus scheme and it is a big fraud. I request you all to read this carefully and if possible please share it with others.
1. In display Ads, there are lots of fraud clicks happens. You cant get refund for the same. There is no easy to get refunds.
2. In Google search Ads, there is no option to block repeat clickers...it means that, any competitor can keep on clicking your Ads.
3. Simply buy some AWS servers and keep rebooting the servers and click on your competitors...this is what told by one of the person involved in marketing.
4. Google comes up with too many features, too many changes within a year, It is NOT IMPROVEMENT TOWARDS THE SYSTEM. It is to confuse people with distraction. Just compare the Google Ads interface with today and whats there about 2 years ago, you will understand my point. The same way, Google confused SEO agencies for years.
5. Google Ad platform is a blackbox. - As a customer, you dont know what is happening inside the bidding. (who is bidding / how many other people bidding)
  • Google Ads is too good to take your money away, It is very easy to spend tons of money within hours, without any result.
  • Easy to setup a campaign and lose your money
  • There is no easy option to get refund of the fake/fraud clicks.
  • Google can block all bot clicks or competitor's click on Google search, but it will not, because it will lose revenue
  • Too fast, too many changes in features and too many experiments in Google Ads, simply to waste the money of customers.
  • It is definitely game played by Google without considering the results and return of investment by their customers. Google is simply interested in the money
  1. It is surely not useful for small and mid size companies
  2. If you are looking for good ROI, come up with other Ad platform, do not use Google
  3. DO NOT TRUST the marketing agency and insist on ROI
  4. Google Ads forces to get too many fake clicks from Mobile platform, even though I want to focus only on Desktop platform.
  5. DO not click on their recommendation or suggestion, It is a sure shot way to lose all your hard earned money.
  6. Their recommendation will only waste your money, without any results.
Do not go with the recommendation or suggestion provided by Google employees. They suggest a way to burn your money so that, they can make more revenues.
April 01, 2021
Many companies I work with have used Google Ads to effectively distribute their message to different target audiences. With Google Ads, we are able to fine tune both the intended marketing message as well as the type of consumer that will be interested in that message. This platform has had continued success with high clickthrough rates and conversions.
  • Finely tuned messaging
  • Real-time analytics
  • Ability to quickly react and adjust ads to industry trends
  • Typically more expensive than some ad channels such as Facebook
  • Algorithms are constantly updated with major affects to current campaigns
  • Some ads are disapproved for unforeseen reasons
Google Ads is a requirement for any company that is looking to increase sales and brand awareness. However, the most successful results will be seen by organizations that are willing to set a significant marketing budget and put in the time to constantly manage ads and bids throughout the changing industry climate. Smaller companies may not see Google Ads as money well spent for this very reason.
March 25, 2021
Simply opened up an account to familiarise myself with google ads. It was going to help us gain visibility on the web and gain more prospects.
  • It is probably the best methods for reaching out to prospects, BUT sadly we have no other choice due to GOOGLE's monopoly as a research engine in western nations.
  • Ergonomic interface
  • Easy to setup an account
  • A support team that is rude and unaware how their processes work
  • They didn't know that google ads requires your payment details to sign up
  • They don't know how a campaign is set up
  • They conned me with the free voucher
  • They automatically started a campaign for me, billed me 128 euros and don't know how to activate the voucher on this bill, even if the voucher has been granted.
  • They need to fuse : Google ads, google mybusiness and google analytics, so many accounts to create if you are a company
Biggest bully on the planet ! They already have one the biggest business empires and they still take (steal) money from a small startup in France.
Beware at the beginning ! When signing up, they require payment details.
Beware when trying to request a voucher "to try" a google ad campaign, they launch it without validation (maybe a mistake on my behalf, but unlikely i would validate a campaign with my website not ready. Now they are not able to tell if i can redeem the voucher on my total bill ! Absurd! Then they tell me, "our email must be in your SPAM" . You are sending an email from google ads to a gmail?! How can you not rectify this !? Sorry, don't really have a good point for them, except google ads is only suited to you if you are in the right sectors and your clients have the good demographics

They somehow they cannot explain that a campaign was triggered on its own. They then got me a voucher as a refund for half the price. Then they don't know if it will be applied on the bill they just sent. They cannot figure the due date for the billing (they thought it was last month).
The person on the phone said the technical team are busy, i said : i will wait. He said you d be better off sending a new ticket. I said you should be able to simply forward my file to that team internally !!? She said "Yes i can..." huffing and puffing...
AWFUL ! But its google, no other choice for many.
February 22, 2021
Google Ads works well around 7 months of the year, but then they arbitrarily cut your ads without telling you, and because you haven't changed anything, you don't think to check. But you do notice that your phone doesn't ring so often. The you find out that they have blocked your ads, but allow your competitors to advertise the same services. When questioned, the staff seem clueless as to why your ad is blocked but just recite back the notices appearing on the screen. This time around it took 5 days and 8 contacts to determine that Google suddenly doesn't like you to advertise what it terms as "addiction services." This includes helping people to quit smoking, which, as a hypnotherapist, I happen to be very good at. When asked why others can advertise this service but I cannot, they tell you to fill out a form.
I asked them directly if they take payments from clients to block the competition. As you would expect, they denied it. So now, even after deleting any reference to quit smoking, my ads are still blocked, and yet my competition prosper. I must be quite a threat! This recent experience has made me realise just how tenuous it is to rely on Google Ads, because they are UNRELIABLE. I also believe that they are UNETHICAL. So where does that leave me - TV, Radio, Street Signage - ANYTHING BUT GOOGLE.
Google Ads is not working for me AT ALL currently. Its customer service is appalling. It is unethical in its preferential advertising of certain clients over others, quite apart from the bidding that it is based on - I'm talking about competition blocking. As a small operator I guess I was getting too big for one of my colleagues, who seems to still be thriving with their Quit Smoking ads, while myself and many others have been cut.
The customer service is a joke.
September 01, 2020
Anamaria Setti | TrustRadius Reviewer
I signed up as a new Google Ads user based on a promotion for new users. I don't have any prior experience using Google Ads. I tried the service to increase traffic to my website.
  • It has detailed tracking tools.
  • There is an app so you can monitor progress on your mobile.
  • You can customize settings to view stats most important to you.
  • Transparency and clarity of terms and conditions, especially for new customers.
  • Making the web interface more intuitive for new users.
  • Enable specific audience targeting in Smart Campaigns (this is done exceptionally well in Instagram ads).
  • Differentiate how Smart Campaigns are run by business size and category.
This is not a tool I'd recommend to small businesses or people new to Google Ads. Unfortunately, I responded to a Google Ads promotion aimed at exactly the aforementioned categories and got burned.

The promotion is a $150 credit for new users but the terms are vague and misleading. It should more clearly state that the credit will only apply towards a second campaign and that new users will have to pay for their first ad out of pocket. Since the promotion targets new customers it's obvious that many won't fully understand the process. I found out once the promotion completed and I saw an unexpected charge for the full cost of the campaign.

Like many other companies, Google is capitalizing on the pandemic and targeting businesses that are struggling and looking to earn new customers. Small businesses are particularly vulnerable due to limited knowledge of ad campaigns and a lack of funds. Perhaps Google Ads is far better suited to larger, more established businesses with experience running ads, a well-defined audience and the ability to spend on multiple campaigns.
Read Anamaria Setti's full review
June 02, 2020
Jason Krzeminski | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Adwords was being used to direct potential customers to our website. It is seemingly easy to set up and places our website closer to the top of the page. Campaigns and ads are easy to create. However, just like every big business, customer service is lacking. When you ask for help because there is an issue on your account, you get automated messages. Moreover, unless you are a professional, you are wasting your money. I spent hundreds of dollars per month to get calls from people that were not local or wanted a completely different product. This product is not good for a small business.
  • Charging your credit card
  • Ignoring your requests for help
  • Sending automated messages when you ask for help
  • Customer Service in the support department.
  • Allowing people to speak to human beings that are actually there to assist you when there are issues with your account.
  • Directing your ads locally.
  • Costs a lot to get it to begin to show progress.
  • Lots of rules that a layman would never understand. Their resolution for that is a web page utilizing ad language that never actually helps you resolve the issue. When you attempt to reach someone for help they redirect you to a website and state that all you can do is reach them by email. Then rather than answering your questions, they send the same response to you over and over and the problem is never resolved.
  • Uses a platform that you feel you are stuck using because they are so well known.
If you are a small business, I would not recommend Google Ads. Use a company that will appreciate a customer who has spent over $30k on advertising with them and is willing to help and actually allow that company to speak to a human being if there are issues on their account.
Read Jason Krzeminski's full review
October 18, 2019
Chad Carman | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Ads is currently used in a paid and a grant application for us. We utilize the nonprofit grant system to bolster our search rankings and guide people to specific pages based on their keywords. We utilize paid ads to run pre-roll and video discovery ads related to our YouTube videos. The marketing department is the only group that utilizes it.
  • Large-scale distribution.
  • Options to highly target the audience.
  • Cost-effective compared to other forms of advertising.
  • It can be daunting to get it working.
  • The "educational" aspect to learn how to use it is lacking.
Google Ads is great if you have the budget and the knowledge to adequately target smaller groups of people. It can get very expensive, very quickly if not targeted. Smaller-scale shops can utilize it in smaller markets but the cost to advertise, like any marketing medium, will depend on how saturated the market is.
Read Chad Carman's full review
November 22, 2019
Sarah VanDunk | TrustRadius Reviewer
I decided to try using what was then called AdWords, about a year ago, as part of my marketing campaign for my real estate career. Unfortunately, it did not work because I got calls from Paterson, a city an hour away that I do not work out of. There was no way to focus the leads any closer. So every time someone even just googled my keywords and clicked on my link in Paterson, I was being charged for it.

So I canceled. Fast forward approximately a year later, I find out that Google Ads, which it is now apparently called, had been charging one of my rarely used credit card accounts for 3 months! Even more so, the account they charged was NOT the account that I had even used back then. They somehow, without authorization, acquired it and proceeded to charge me month after month for a bogus campaign I had absolutely no part of!! What a nightmare. Beware. And they to this date, refuse to delete the campaign so that it doesn't happen again.
  • It could help people find your business.
  • If you have unlimited funds and time, it could be a good tool to obtaining leads.
  • Many leads came from way outside the acceptable geographic radius
  • You must pay for those clicks, calls, etc.
  • The program (ad campaign) has a major glitch so beware, I was charged for a campaign that I never created
  • It is difficult to stop the campaign once created.
  • You can only "pause" a campaign. There is no option to delete a campaign.
  • This is problematic because somehow, these campaigns will start on their own, meanwhile without knowing, you are racking up tons of charges for leads that you never had any interaction with
If you do not have the advantage of having access to a good amount of funds, you will spend more money than what you will see in return from leads.
Read Sarah VanDunk's full review
November 18, 2019
We use Google Ads for paid ads on Google Search. Google is the biggest driver of traffic to our website and has the highest volume of monthly searches for keywords relevant to our product offerings, so Google Ads has been a good choice for ensuring that we top the search results, especially where we don't rank via organic terms.
  • Helpful Resources - Given how long Google Ads has been around, there are a lot of resources you can tap into to get started and create high-performing campaigns
  • Easy to Set up - Overall it is easy to set up and get started with Google Ads
  • In-Depth Reporting - Google Ads has some very in-depth reporting capabilities. It can be overwhelming at first, but once you understand the reports you can find some really actionable information
  • Google Ads can get really pricey really quickly. You need to monitor the account and really think about ways to optimize your spend
  • Best practices are not intuitive. Although getting started is really easy, it is not intuitive to follow best practices. Going to a class (in person or online) can be very beneficial.
If you have search traffic coming from Google, you should really consider using Google Ads to augment your search efforts. This is especially true for keywords or phrases that you are not ranking highly for organically. Investing properly in Google Ads can drive high-quality traffic to your site and boost your performance overall.
November 16, 2019
We use Google ads to drive paid traffic to our website - primarily as a source for inquiries. We also use the platform to do some brand awareness pieces - in conjunction with our organic search techniques, this platform allows us to get our brand out there in a meaningful way. The business problem this platform address is the shift from traditional advertising to online - years ago our primary sources of inquiry was through print publications - as the world changes, newspapers have disappeared and AdWords has filled in the gap.
  • Conversion tracking - it is very easy and insightful to track ROI.
  • Detailed analytics - tells you what keywords/ads are working and which are not.
  • Customer service/ account executives - if you spend over a threshold you get dedicated, rotating google AdWords expert who is very helpful in providing tips and advice on tuning your account.
  • There is a lack of transparency around the different ad bidding options - it often feels like we are spending more than we need to due to this lack of clarity.
  • For experts or those willing to learn, the platform is great - however, we have had trouble with more novice users being able to navigate the system.
  • The product is very focussed on selling traditional products - the product in our case is private education, in which some terminology needs to be translated in order to best use the product.
Google Ads is very well suited in scenarios where you are looking to drive traffic using targetted methods to your website with the ultimate goal of a conversion (sale, submission). This is especially effective if you have a good idea of which keywords would drive traffic. It is also prudent for those using the platform to develop meaningful, engaging ads (both traditional text and dynamic video, etc) - It is less appropriate if you are not clear on what your target market is looking for - this would result in wasted spend.
November 05, 2019
Google Ads is being used by our Digital Marketing Department for our organization. It helps us with our search engine marketing and it benefits most of our clients with excellent click through rate. It also solves the problem of controlling our brand by bidding on our own keyword/brand and maintaining a strong quality score.
  • Google Ads does well with creating campaigns, ad groups, and keywords
  • Google Ads has lots of webinars and education tools online
  • Google Ads provides good analytics to track the performance of your campaign
  • Google Ads has room for improvement in terms of customization. They constantly remove/add metrics, possibly allow the ones removed to stay per user?
  • Support is OKAY. If you are a Google Partner you get a representative but we still haven't been assigned one and been a partner for over a year.
Google Ads is well suited to compliment your organic search and to increase your web traffic. You can control your brand by bidding on your own keyword/brand and not allowing competitors to encroach on your Search Engine Results Page. Well suited for most industries as most searches are performed on Google.
October 22, 2019
Our organization uses Google Adwords to promote varies products and lines of business. We have a nonprofit arm that uses it to promote events and involvement for free using the Google Adwords charitable grant.
  • Boosts website visits
  • Boosts phone calls
  • Boosts company visibility
  • It has a very confusing user interface.
  • It requires a lot of testing in order to achieve the desired results.
  • It can be difficult to increase the click-through rate.
  • It was difficult to contact customer service (based in India).
Google Adwords is well suited for very specific products and lines of business. The more generic something is, the less likely it is to be seen.
October 12, 2019
Patricia Assad | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Ads is used by the marketing department. However, its use impacts the entire organization as it is 100% web-based.

The company is wholly dependent upon SEM and Google Ads plays a major role in determining the products we sell as well as how aggressively we tackle the marketing. In addition, the ability to seamlessly link Google Ads to Google Analytics and other Analytics tools helps us to make informed decisions.
  • Return on investment is easy to measure.
  • New AI features make it faster and easier to get results in Display advertising.
  • Multiple targeting options for audiences.
  • Access to a Google Agency Account Strategist. Not everyone gets this access, but this service is invaluable in learning about new features that Google provides. In addition, access to some beta testing.
  • Google Customer Match requires at least $50,000 in ad spend before it can be used.
  • There are many advanced features that aren't always obvious. You have to dig to find them, and Google's documentation isn't always the best. YouTube videos created by a 3rd party are often better.
  • Lots of products in Shopping campaigns get disapproved automatically. They get approved after a phone call, but it requires taking the time to make the call.
Well suited for:
  • Businesses that want to hit the ground running and get immediate exposure
  • Complementing other SEM strategies
  • Businesses who want to move away from traditional media advertising
  • Geotargeting - businesses who need to target prospects in specific areas only
  • Scheduling - businesses who want to show ads to prospects only @ certain times or days
  • Businesses who want to drive phone calls
Less suited for:
  • Businesses that are selling products that no one is looking for
  • Businesses who can't generate a positive ROI
  • Businesses that don't have a good offer
  • Businesses that don't have a good landing page to send prospects to. If targeted traffic can't convert, even if the product is good, don't spend the money on AdWords.
Read Patricia Assad's full review
October 02, 2019
John Kobel | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are a digital ad agency focusing on the New Car Dealership market. We manage the Google Ads accounts for approximately 175 clients. Clients submit their budgets and objectives to us and we set up, manage and maintain their Google Ads accounts to maximize their ROI on their ad spend in Google Ads. We manage Text Ads, Display Ads and Video ads for these Auto Dealership clients.
  • Allows for accurate budget spend on Pay per click advertising
  • Allows for easy management of client's accounts
  • Allows for targeted advertising in the digital space by focusing on Geography, Demographics, in market buyers and other types of parameters depending on the objectives of the advertising campaigns
  • Unfortunately, customer support has fallen by the wayside since Google has gone public. It is now outsourced to a foreign country where command of English is an issue as well as limited understanding of the Google Ads platform.
  • The platform was upgraded recently and now performs slower than it used to. This may not be an issue if you don't manage your account often, but larger accounts with higher budgets will spend more time on the platform performing the same tasks.
  • The Help Files need better organization and updating. A lot of the Help files are still showing how to operate in the old platform and need updating. The Help files also have a tendency to be too broad and not focused on one task or section of Google Ads. Finding answers to your questions can take a bit of time.
If you are going to do Search Advertising to promote your website, Google is the 600 pound gorilla in the room. If you don't spend money on Google for Search, you will not get the results you want. If you manage your account properly you can get a very good ROI. Results are easy to track and corrections can be made to your account based on the data Google Ads provides. Where Google is struggling is display advertising. Although Google has 90% of the internet covered, the platform does not make it as easy as other platforms to get your display ads in the right place at the right time. Lastly, everything Google tells you as guidelines must be taken with a grain of salt. They often toot their own horn but are not always looking out for your best interests. Ever since they went public, their focus is Return on Investor Dollars and not Return on Your Ad Dollars.
Read John Kobel's full review
May 14, 2019
Anthony Burke | TrustRadius Reviewer
I've worked for a re-seller of Google Ads (then known as AdWords - a branding change that happened about a year ago). We implemented the ad campaigns for several clients of our digital marketing agency. What we liked about it is that we knew how our ad money was being spent with a greater degree of certainty than if it were spent on traditional media ads (radio, print, TV).
  • Targeted advertising - show up or avoid showing up for very specific Google searches
  • Offers a great degree of control over your ad budget.
  • You pretty much know what you're getting and can - for the right price - get what you want.
  • Though Google Ads offers greater certainty in the effectiveness of your campaign than traditional media, there's still some mystery to it.
  • Paying per click CAN be efficient, but not all clicks are equal.
  • This is NOT an SEO tool - good SEO can aid your campaigns but it is an entirely separate beast than Google Ads. One does not serve as a substitute for the other.
  • Even when Google Ads work great, they are not a cure-all. Your company still needs to be able to deliver what the customers (the ones doing the clicking) want.
Google Ads (GA) is well suited for getting your name out there. Small businesses with limited budgets may be able to get incredible value if the prime real estate on your desired Google SERPs (search engine results pages) aren't too expensive. The average PPC can vary wildly and the more competitive search terms will cost a lot more to advertise on.
Google Ads might be best suited to the largest companies that can dominate an industry in a region or just outspend the competition. You basically pay for your ad placement and can keep upping your bid until you have the optimal spot - so if you can afford to do that every time, then you have an advantage.
Read Anthony Burke's full review
August 30, 2019
Joshua VanMeter | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Ads is a key driver of new business for many of our best clients. It allows our clients to target the kinds of problems that potential customers could get solved by our client, and help those potential customers connect. We have generally seen significant positive ROI with a solid, analytics-backed strategy, and a client willing to give Google ads their all.
  • Looking to drive targeted interest, in particular, service/product offerings.
  • Create high-impact awareness of a business or service type.
  • Build the business opportunities needed to succeed.
  • The interface and jargon have a steep learning curve.
  • It is easy to spend money quickly and foolishly with an inexperienced advertiser.
  • Powerful, key features can be buried multiple menus deep.
If your business needs exposure, or to drive targeted, search-intent-focused advertising campaigns with fine-tuned controls, Google Ads can be just what you are looking for. If you "just want to try it out," it is advisable to first analyze what very specific business goal you are trying to improve, and then build a campaign that is completely focused on meeting that very specific goal.
Read Joshua VanMeter's full review
August 29, 2019
Omar Gutierrez | TrustRadius Reviewer
Currently, I manage about 15 different Ads accounts. With them, I help my clients increase their presence online as well as their sells and business leads. I achieve this using different campaigns with different strategies, each one of them, very useful to what we are focusing on. At this point, I have about 2 years of experience using this platform, and I found it to be one of the main and most useful tools to achieve my client's marketing goals.
  • Reaching my client's different buyer personas by using specific keywords and other types of segmentation.
  • Creating an online presence through different types of ads.
  • Increasing traffic to my client's websites.
  • Acquiring leads for my client's businesses.
  • Find competitors I didn't know about by analyzing the impression share from the keywords we are using.
  • Sometimes it takes a long time to load the page, which can make me grow impatient.
  • Some features are not available in markets such as in Mexico. Some of them would be useful, mainly for shopping campaigns.
  • Sometimes setting up a shopping campaign can be difficult due to linking and approvals from the merchant center.
I think Google Ads is very useful in creating leads for B2B since you can segment using business-related keywords or predefined audiences such as "intent" or "in-market". It is also very well suited for e-commerce businesses because you can use different kind of campaigns focused on sales, such as shopping campaigns, which show your product image and your business name. Creating brand awareness through display campaigns can be effective due to a very low cost that can bring a big amount of traffic to a website.
Read Omar Gutierrez's full review
August 28, 2019
Josh VanMeter | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Ads is one of the advertising platforms that we utilize for clients and for our digital marketing agency. This platform is the gold standard of search engine marketing, not necessarily because of the platform's tools, but primarily for the shear size and reach of Google itself. Allowing clients to find new potential customers based on search intent is a foundation of the digital marketing space.
  • Vast ad inventory and potential customer reach
  • Advertise to people intending to find answers to problems
  • Easy-to-explain platform makes client interactions easier
  • Steep learning curve
  • High competition
  • Highly variable costs
If your business solves problems for other human beings, and your business needs to increase how many people are aware of it (I believe I have just described 90+% of the business world), Google Ads is a platform that should be considered as you develop your business' marketing and advertising strategy.
Read Josh VanMeter's full review
August 28, 2019
Wilbert Kramer | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Google Ads internationally, mainly by our local digital marketing teams with help of agencies. First and foremost it is a marketing tool. We use it to get our YouTube campaigns visible to the right audience. It is an addition to our traditional TV advertising and oftentimes we run this simultaneously.
  • Cheap exposure, 5 € cent/view is a common metric in our campaigns which is comparable to the GRPs we are achieving
  • Detailed metrics
  • Targeted audiences
  • No visibility on actual in-store sales, it's hard to track this in EU countries
  • For wholesalers, not the best option
If you do direct to consumer sales on a webshop, Google Ads is the best way to measure your marketing efforts compared to other ways of marketing. If you don't sell directly I would not encourage using it, since you don't know if your marketing dollars or euros are effective.
Read Wilbert Kramer's full review
April 29, 2019
Jordan Harpst | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our marketing department primarily uses Google Ads to serve relevant ads to prospective leads via search. We do some display advertising, but it is only a small fraction of our budget and it's all related to remarketing. With Google Ads we can get to the top of SERPs when we don't have strong enough content to rank for a search term organically.
  • Integrates seamlessly with other Google products (like analytics)
  • Makes it clear how you can improve your ROI through more relevant content, better landing page experiences, etc.
  • Continuously adding new features
  • Not very clear how automated bidding works...could do a better job of illustrating exactly how automated bidding will outperform manual bidding.
  • Quality Score metric is informative, but not always actionable. Google has taken steps to improve this by being more specific about how we can make our landing pages better, keywords more relevant, etc. But improvements we make aren't always reflected in the quality score.
Google Ads is great for running advertisements to generate new leads, but also helpful for remarketing purposes (whether to website visitors you want to bring back, or more specific cases like upselling to existing customers). We haven't tried running video ads yet, but expect we will in the future due to the growth in video marketing. I expect Google Ads does a great job of managing that as well, given their ties to YouTube.
Read Jordan Harpst's full review

What is Google Ads?

Google Ads (formerly AdWords) is Google's pay-per-click online advertising program. With Google Ads users set their budget and choose where their ads appear. There's no minimum spending commitment, and the program can be paused or stopped at anytime. With Google Ads the user reaches people as they search for words or phrases as they browse websites. Ads can appear in Google search listings and on partner websites. Remarketing and retargeting techniques can be applied to increase return traffic and make sales. With cost-per-click (CPC) bidding, Google Ads charges users when visitors click on ads.

Google Ads Integrations