When I Work Reviews

İhsan Akkarpuz profile photo
When I Work was adapted by all departments involved in a working scheme (2 shifts or more per day). The reason was to arrange employee shifts as per manufacturing schedules. However, users had noticed that the product not only offered scheduling stuff but also personal things such as annual vacations, salary scripts, health care tracking and so on. We decided to implement the product in every department regardless of their working-scheme. So now the product is being utilized company wide [and is] achieving the utmost satisfaction.
  • Superb scheduling and arrangements as per employee and employer needs
  • Newly introduced mobile app with tons of features adding great value to the users
  • The product might be updated to be more precise and lean as the latest edition contains so many features that I thought some of them [were] duplicating each other.
Considering the workforce we have (around 10k employees) every single individual can use the product without experiencing major issues. Both employees and management team are quite satisfied with the output of installing When I Work.
Read İhsan Akkarpuz's full review
Carol Koppenaal profile photo
We use When I Work across the organization for scheduling our seasonal staff members.
  • Schedule publishing.
  • Texting members.
  • Connecting to our payroll.
It's a great product, but hard to integrate with anything else that we have. As a stand-alone though, we really like it and it works great for our time keeping needs.
Read Carol Koppenaal's full review
When I Work is my company's main software to clock in and clock out of shifts. We use this software for exempt and non-exempt employees. We also use When I Work to request time off, update shifts, and communicate with the scheduler. I currently use this software daily and found it to be better than the traditional paper clock-in system.
  • GPS track destination clock-in or out.
  • Messaging with the scheduler.
  • Time off requests.
  • Easy tracking of previously logged hours.
  • GPS tracking is not always accurate.
  • Occasional app malfunction.
  • Requesting time off can be unclear at times.
When I Work is well suited for employee clock-in or clock-out, messaging with the scheduler or manager, employee requests for time off, confirming shifts and time sheets, and syncing work with a separate calendar. When I Work is easy for the employee and has easy access through apps on Android or iOS.
AK Cyrway profile photo
When I Work is a powerful web tool for scheduling and employee management. Even in the free version, employees can request time off, take open shifts, take part in team chat, and report availability. The interface is simple and easy to grasp.
  • Easy to read interface and display
  • Ability to print to PDF for physical reports and record keeping
  • Employee shift management
  • While mouseovers are present, the menu could be designed better
  • Popups in the free version covers up important features when viewed on smaller resolution monitors
  • No direct print feature
The free version of When I Work are great for start-ups and small businesses; the free version can manage up to 75 employees. Custom shifts are easy to make, and one can organize by certain job descriptions.
Read AK Cyrway's full review
Nick Stanley profile photo
We use When I Work for most of our business. It really helps out our store managers with scheduling and timekeeping. We previously used pencil and paper; it was a great improvement to move this to an electronic fashion. Timesheets for payroll are all done quickly now, with the managers not having to add up paper time cards.
  • Electronic Scheduling and communications with employees about shifts
  • Accurate Timekeeping
  • Support really needs improvement. They don't take phone calls!
  • They don't always think of every customer when making changes to the system, and the hierarchy in the system is pretty hardcoded, there's no way to build your own on who reports to who or a way for an assistant manager to cover for the manager.
When I work is good for a small business with 1 or 2 locations. Also good if you are well versed in IT/technology and don't need a lot of support. If your business is getting bigger, it may be more difficult to manage.
Read Nick Stanley's full review
James Mcbride profile photo
We use it in our support department for our schedule of user experience people. We also use it to keep track of PTO and schedules when needed. This has helped us greatly in figuring out who is on and at what times. This has also been great to track PTO requests and who is off that day.
  • Great at allowing us to see at a glance who is working and what shift.
  • Allows us to track the PTO requests.
  • Allows us to customize based on the person and shift.
  • Can we cumbersome when first setting it up.
  • When trying to change a shift that is stable and going to be the same every day for the future can be tricky setting it up.
  • Users/price.
Well suited in role of having to organize many people's schedules and needing coverage.
Not useful when an office works 9-5 and everyone has the same schedule.
Read James Mcbride's full review

About When I Work

When I Work in St.Paul, Minnesota offers their eponymous platform for time & attendance and workforce management, featuring employee self-service and the capability to broadcast and fill empty shifts in "less than 30 seconds," for small workforces and larger companies as well.

When I Work Technical Details