When I Work Reviews

Jayelynn Willman | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 17, 2020

Scheduling App That Keeps Everyone On The Same Page

When I Work is being used company-wide across all eight locations. We use it for schedule coordinating and publishing, group chat between the entire company as well as individual stores, time off requests and shift coverage, etc. It gives our staff a platform for covering their own shifts if they cannot work without having to share their personal information with people they don't know. Management is able to share weekly specials, make company-wide announcements, etc. without having to use their personal phone. Management can see contact information for all employees company-wide, as well as all schedules. This saves a ton of time when trying to find coverage for the restaurant.
  • Allows management to toggle between stores.
  • Very user-friendly.
  • Gives staff a platform to cover shifts without having to share their personal numbers with anyone.
  • You cannot view inactive employees on the app.
  • When pulling up the schedule on the app, it defaults to Tuesday when the screen is done loading.
  • If you pull up an individual's schedule it removes your default settings. For example, I have mine set to just my store, but if I need to see an employee's schedule it resets those defaults. You're always looking at the last schedule you pulled up.
When I Work has been extremely helpful in coordinating schedules between 8 different locations. It allows you to see each employee's schedule so you save time by seeing who is actually working and who is off that could potentially fill an opening. The group chat allows us to alert everyone at once when we have specials, encounter an issue with our POS system, etc. This saves an immense amount of time for our upper management and store managers.
Read Jayelynn Willman's full review
ANNA CARABALLO | TrustRadius Reviewer

Scheduling Done Right!

When I Work is used at AMT for mainly scheduling and payroll. It is very useful for the staff and managers to keep track of everyone's schedules and alert them with reminders. Our accounting department also uses it in conjunction with another program in order to run payroll. It keeps our schedules organized!
  • Alerting staff to their schedules
  • Allowing for additional details to be added to shifts
  • Organizing the schedules in a way that makes everything a bit more expedited, saving time and therefore money
  • There are honestly no areas for improvement that we have found. They do a great job!
Our Scheduling Coordinator uses When I Work for scheduling everything from shifts to training. Being able to title the shifts anything allows use of WWhen I WorkIW in many other areas because the shift can be anything we need as well as their role.
Read ANNA CARABALLO's full review
Amy Morgeson | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 06, 2020

When I Work helps take away hats that directors of small businesses must wear daily

When I Work is used by our whole staff for our time management and scheduling needs. It simplifies my job as supervisor/director of the library in that I play many roles and the task of maintaining employee timesheets and scheduling their shifts had previously taken up and a large amount of my time. Having this program frees me up to focus on other duties I cover.
  • Being able to create shift templates and duplicate those is wonderful.
  • I can easily delete, move or edit a shift with just a few clicks.
  • I can see the schedule as a day, week or month and get a real sense of our coverage areas and needs.
  • I can easily get the count of hours for an employee and relay this directly to our accounts person to create our payroll.
  • When I Work is always looking for ways to improve and tweak issues, they will make changes accordingly, sometimes I'll find something new when I log in and it can be confusing for a moment but it doesn't take long to figure out the edit.
  • The program itself is easy to pick up, I do need to dedicate more time to fully utilizing all of the tools it offers, perhaps period webinars to show what I/customers might not be taking advantage of.
  • I really don't have a lot of negative feedback for the product. It's helped me in my daily job a great deal.
While I don't have first-hand experience in using When I Work with a large group I could see that it might become confusing to schedule for a group over 15-20. I say this merely because the list of employees shown on the given screen can only go up to around 13-14. One might make the mistake of leaving off a staff member simply because they don't show on the first page.

In my world, however, most of my staff fall on one page and I have everything I need at a glance to see where we need coverage. It's really a great product!
Read Amy Morgeson's full review
Carol Fittell | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 27, 2020

Lots of features make it flexible for various scheduling styles

We use When I Work for all our shift/scheduling needs across 3 locations. We use it for scheduling, communicating availability, time off requests, clocking hours, and exporting to QuickBooks for payment.
  • Setting preferences and availability shows up in a clear, concise manner.
  • Shifts drag and drop easily, and the view can be filtered many different ways.
  • We schedule staff at multiple facilities and lets us track their hours all in one place.
  • I wish it was easier to rearrange the order of the staff in the scheduler view.
  • I wish it was easier to ensure you're dragging/dropping a shift to the right employee (alternately shaded rows would be a huge help!).
  • I wish the total shift hours across various locations ("schedules") would be tallied, and not just the current location/schedule for the employee.
When I Work is great for a constantly changing schedule where staff availability is constantly changing, too. It's also great for scheduling between multiple locations where certain staff work at more than one location. It's also good for consistent schedules that stay mostly the same week to week, though I wish their template options were more robust.
Read Carol Fittell's full review
Talitha Rieken | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 13, 2020

We're Loving It!

We use When I Work as our general work schedule for our team members, as well as a platform to fill open shifts. We have over 40 locations in the Twin Cities and this helps us keep our positions staffed with internal employees, rather than going outside of the organization for short term coverage.
  • On-demand customer service.
  • Updating the product to meet the demands of the customer.
  • We would love to see the functionality of more than one email address per profile.
  • With so many managers in our group and so many locations, we would like to have job sites alerts attached to the 'supervisor' security role for when team members pick up shifts. That way every manager doesn't get the alert for every job site.
It has been great for shift sharing and filling open shifts within our own group. As an organization, we haven't had to spend as much on external temp agencies, because our own team members can see what shifts are available in an easy-to-use platform and are able to pick them up internally.
Read Talitha Rieken's full review
Allison Yates-Gauthier | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 11, 2020

Easy, quality product for the BUSY business owners.

We utilize When I Work for scheduling for all employees.
  • Easy format
  • Accessibility to make changes easily
  • Occasional 'glitches' with schedules showing differently for each user
When I Work is excellent for reviewing schedules 'on-the-go'.
Read Allison Yates-Gauthier's full review
Liz Ward | TrustRadius Reviewer

When I Work - Cost-effective & Easy to Use

We use When I Work for all of our hourly employees. We have used a web-based pay clock for many years. When I Work has been the most effective solution we have found to-date.
  • The chat feature is extremely helpful for communicating instantly to a large number of people.
  • When I Work has a nice dashboard that easily shows the last 5 days' labor costs.
  • Their customer support team is responsive.
  • The reporting is very limited unless you want to pay a lot for it.
If you are looking for an easily deployed, cost-effective time tracking tool that integrates with QuickBooks, When I Work fits the bill.
Read Liz Ward's full review
March 09, 2020

If only they had better/accurate support...Would be exceptional if not for recent issues!

When I Work is used for scheduling, time tracking, and employee attendance tracking.
  • Scheduling is decent. It takes a long time to figure out, but once you have it down, it works.
  • Mobile app warns people of scheduled shift prevents missed shifts.
  • Time tracking is accurate and easy to interpret.
  • Customer service only available by chat or email. No phone- which is crazy, in my opinion. Slows down, getting things done.
  • Understanding their charges is a pain. I still don't know what I am paying for.
  • If you are being overcharged, they don't care; they keep you on billing for something in a group.
Not great if you have multiple types of employees. We have salaried, hourly, and work at home hourly. Their platform cannot accommodate all types of employees. They sold me something that they went back and said was not actually what they sold me on trying to accommodate. They don't even know their own product. Can't get someone on the phone to help, so you're stuck trying to type your issues out. It never got resolved but not worth the hassle to move to a new platform right now.
March 06, 2020

When I Work: I like to be efficient and this software helped!

For an event I coordinated, I chose to use When I Work last summer. I had volunteers and employees working on my team, and I needed a way to coordinate their travel schedules as well as our actual work schedules before, during, and after the event. When I Work helped me see what times of each day I was in need of more help, and where everyone would be when.
  • When I Work allowed me to color-code each employee's schedule.
  • When I Work allowed me to show who was "off" during what time of day. This was essential for morale, as our event included 16-18 hour days, and I wanted to show that everyone had down time each day.
  • For my purposes, I found the program easy to use and can't think of anything I would change.
I loved that there is a When I Work app, so that volunteers and employees can have access to the schedule all the time. This was essential for us since some of our people were international and couldn't always access their computer/internet, but could connect to wi-fi easily in public places. The ability to track when tasks were completed was essential as well.
March 06, 2020

The only staff scheduling option....

We use When I Work across all departments of our country club. In addition to making scheduling a breeze, it allows me to easily view the various department schedules and make decisions based on short-term forecasted revenues. This allows me to better control labor costs. Another feature of When I Work that I make use of is the chat tool. It allows for quick communications with team members.
  • Allows for better management of labor
  • Reduces time spent on scheduling/staff management
  • Improves staff communication
  • When I Work has always provided excellent customer service.
  • Improved schedules for "print" - Color coded, multi-department
For schedulers that don't have a ton of time to sit down and do their schedules each week, OR if you have employees that have varying availabilities, When I Work makes it very easy to coordinate and quickly produce staff schedules.
March 02, 2020

When I Work makes scheduling quick and easy

We're currently operating a team of part-time employees that work on varying schedules. We have often needed to swap shifts or post open shifts for employees to pick up. When I Work has been a great solution for us to post and communicate employee schedules, as well as keeping track of hours worked for payroll.
  • Scheduling and notifications.
  • Time off requests.
  • Hourly tracking and reporting.
  • Schedule templates.
  • Ability to disable text notifications.
  • Auto scheduling.
When I Work is a great solution for anyone that needs to schedule employees or fill positions that employees can choose from. The messaging and communication around open shifts are really great. When I Work probably isn't well suited for time-off tracking for full-time or salaried employees. The functionality seems geared more towards hourly work with varied schedules.
February 27, 2020

Good value

When I Work is being used for our customer support team to track what each agent is supposed to be doing at any time—tickets, phones, lunches, meetings, etc.
  • Copying shifts to drag to other employees
  • Lots of color options to make it easy to see the difference in shifts
  • Templates
  • Making shifts longer and shorter by dragging them has always been buggy.
  • It would be cool if when I mark a scheduled person as out sick if there was a way to make, for example, all of their phone shifts go out to others on the team scheduled to something different.
When I Work is well suited for basic scheduling. If you need to adjust your schedule frequently, I do not think it is the best tool - it is time-consuming to update without a template.
February 22, 2020

Review of When I Work from part time support

When I Work is the primary website we use for scheduling our freelance workers on events. Our entire department relies upon it, and it has proven useful for us to be able to book many different events at the same time and keep track of it all.
  • Able to have many different schedules on the site at the same time, so we can use it to manage many events at the same time/over a long period of time.
  • Both employer and employee can use the service and see what shifts a particular worker is booked to work.
  • The website is commonly slow.
  • We are forced to use several other services in addition to When I Work to be able to do all that we need to do. When I Work is not an all-inclusive service. We are not able to communicate to our workers through it, nor post information for them to be able to access, nor use it to track data (like certifications) over long periods of time.
When I work is well suited to use to keep track of whom is confirmed to work when and on what event/s (technically called "schedules" in When I Work). It is not suited to communicate needed information to your workers. If you are looking for something all-inclusive, like Yardi for real estate, When I Work is not it.
February 08, 2020

When I Work Helps Improve How We Work

I work in the Conference & Event Management office at a university and we use When I Work for our summer student staff. We have a flexible schedule and various different shifts, so When I Work helps us keep track of who's working what when and helps our student employees keep track of their ever-changing work schedule. Before When I Work we were relying on student supervisors to keep track of who was working (or not working) any given shift and now anyone on our team can consult the When I Work schedule and see the full scheduling picture.
  • Mobile-friendly: our student staff loves the app and use it frequently to check their schedules.
  • Straight forward the learning curve is minimal for our student staff and they can figure out how to use When I Work with only a quick tutorial.
  • Setup is confusing and a little cumbersome.
  • Some components are confusing: for example, never really sure what the difference is between selecting a schedule and selecting a position
When I Work has been a great scheduling tool for us and helps us keep track of our staff with a variety of different shifts. We don't use it for payroll purposes, but we do use it to double-check that the hours a student inputs into our internal time tracking system match the hours they were assigned a shift and scheduled to work in When I work.
March 12, 2020

When I Work Great for small businesses

When I Work is being used across the whole organization. Great for scheduling and tracking hours.
  • Layout
  • Tracking
  • Custom reports
  • Lacking reports
  • Doesn't stay within right pay period
  • Sometimes slow
When I Work is excellent for smaller companies.
İhsan Akkarpuz | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 02, 2020

Superb Scheduling Software with enhanced features in mobility and HR sources

When I Work was adapted by all departments involved in a working scheme (2 shifts or more per day). The reason was to arrange employee shifts as per manufacturing schedules. However, users had noticed that the product not only offered scheduling stuff but also personal things such as annual vacations, salary scripts, health care tracking and so on. We decided to implement the product in every department regardless of their working-scheme. So now the product is being utilized company wide [and is] achieving the utmost satisfaction.
  • Superb scheduling and arrangements as per employee and employer needs
  • Newly introduced mobile app with tons of features adding great value to the users
  • The product might be updated to be more precise and lean as the latest edition contains so many features that I thought some of them [were] duplicating each other.
Considering the workforce we have (around 10k employees) every single individual can use the product without experiencing major issues. Both employees and management team are quite satisfied with the output of installing When I Work.
Read İhsan Akkarpuz's full review
Carol Koppenaal | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 27, 2019

Good product, but price is going up

We use When I Work across the organization for scheduling our seasonal staff members.
  • Schedule publishing.
  • Texting members.
  • Connecting to our payroll.
It's a great product, but hard to integrate with anything else that we have. As a stand-alone though, we really like it and it works great for our time keeping needs.
Read Carol Koppenaal's full review
November 19, 2019

Clocking in and out made easier

When I Work is my company's main software to clock in and clock out of shifts. We use this software for exempt and non-exempt employees. We also use When I Work to request time off, update shifts, and communicate with the scheduler. I currently use this software daily and found it to be better than the traditional paper clock-in system.
  • GPS track destination clock-in or out.
  • Messaging with the scheduler.
  • Time off requests.
  • Easy tracking of previously logged hours.
  • GPS tracking is not always accurate.
  • Occasional app malfunction.
  • Requesting time off can be unclear at times.
When I Work is well suited for employee clock-in or clock-out, messaging with the scheduler or manager, employee requests for time off, confirming shifts and time sheets, and syncing work with a separate calendar. When I Work is easy for the employee and has easy access through apps on Android or iOS.
AK Cyrway | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 18, 2018

When I Work - Simple Employee Management

When I Work is a powerful web tool for scheduling and employee management. Even in the free version, employees can request time off, take open shifts, take part in team chat, and report availability. The interface is simple and easy to grasp.
  • Easy to read interface and display
  • Ability to print to PDF for physical reports and record keeping
  • Employee shift management
  • While mouseovers are present, the menu could be designed better
  • Popups in the free version covers up important features when viewed on smaller resolution monitors
  • No direct print feature
The free version of When I Work are great for start-ups and small businesses; the free version can manage up to 75 employees. Custom shifts are easy to make, and one can organize by certain job descriptions.
Read AK Cyrway's full review
Nick Stanley | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 13, 2017

Good overall, room for improvement

We use When I Work for most of our business. It really helps out our store managers with scheduling and timekeeping. We previously used pencil and paper; it was a great improvement to move this to an electronic fashion. Timesheets for payroll are all done quickly now, with the managers not having to add up paper time cards.
  • Electronic Scheduling and communications with employees about shifts
  • Accurate Timekeeping
  • Support really needs improvement. They don't take phone calls!
  • They don't always think of every customer when making changes to the system, and the hierarchy in the system is pretty hardcoded, there's no way to build your own on who reports to who or a way for an assistant manager to cover for the manager.
When I work is good for a small business with 1 or 2 locations. Also good if you are well versed in IT/technology and don't need a lot of support. If your business is getting bigger, it may be more difficult to manage.
Read Nick Stanley's full review
James Mcbride | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 24, 2017

Call Center Using When I Work

We use it in our support department for our schedule of user experience people. We also use it to keep track of PTO and schedules when needed. This has helped us greatly in figuring out who is on and at what times. This has also been great to track PTO requests and who is off that day.
  • Great at allowing us to see at a glance who is working and what shift.
  • Allows us to track the PTO requests.
  • Allows us to customize based on the person and shift.
  • Can we cumbersome when first setting it up.
  • When trying to change a shift that is stable and going to be the same every day for the future can be tricky setting it up.
  • Users/price.
Well suited in role of having to organize many people's schedules and needing coverage.
Not useful when an office works 9-5 and everyone has the same schedule.
Read James Mcbride's full review

About When I Work

When I Work in St.Paul, Minnesota offers their eponymous platform for time & attendance and workforce management, featuring employee self-service and the capability to broadcast and fill empty shifts in "less than 30 seconds," for small workforces and larger companies as well.

When I Work Technical Details