When I Work in St.Paul, Minnesota offers their eponymous platform for time & attendance and workforce management, featuring employee self-service and the capability to broadcast and fill empty shifts in "less than 30 seconds," for small workforces and larger companies as well.When I Work - Simple Employee ManagementWhen I Work is a powerful web tool for scheduling and employee management. Even in the free version, employees can request time off, take open shifts, take part in team chat, and report availability. The interface is simple and easy to grasp.,Easy to read interface and display Ability to print to PDF for physical reports and record keeping Employee shift management,While mouseovers are present, the menu could be designed better Popups in the free version covers up important features when viewed on smaller resolution monitors No direct print feature,8,Assures employees know their schedule in one place Visual set up is easy to see where coverage is needed Faster to manage employee times; gives employees some responsibility in their schedule,Google Calendar,Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator CC, QuickBooks Pro, Google Drive, Skype, Google Analytics, Dropbox,7,2,Employee scheduling Time off requests Availability,Online scheduling maintenance,Use of team chat,10,No,Price Product Features,Where my husband/business partner and I have a background in researching and debeloping software and hardware recommendations, we have a pretty solid process in researching and selecting products.,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was minimal,Most of our issues were team-side, in training our team to use the software. (As stated in previous question),8,10,No,I was still learning the programme when I couldn't figure out how to delete an employee; as it turned out, it was quite an easy (and for me, embarrassingly obvious once I realised I had still listed that employee on the schedule for the following week ) but support was very kind and understanding, and never once treated my question as stupid.,Clean cut design, intuitive Able to drag and drop shifts Simple chat box for team chat that doesn't get in the way of the work area,It took some time to get used to where the scheduler was; while the icons are clean, an option to have the icons have actual words rather than mouseovers would be beneficial,Yes, but I don't use it,9Good overall, room for improvementWe use When I Work for most of our business. It really helps out our store managers with scheduling and timekeeping. We previously used pencil and paper; it was a great improvement to move this to an electronic fashion. Timesheets for payroll are all done quickly now, with the managers not having to add up paper time cards.,Electronic Scheduling and communications with employees about shifts Accurate Timekeeping,Support really needs improvement. They don't take phone calls! They don't always think of every customer when making changes to the system, and the hierarchy in the system is pretty hardcoded, there's no way to build your own on who reports to who or a way for an assistant manager to cover for the manager.,5,Positive impact on ease of getting shifts covered Less time for managers on completing time cards at the end of a pay period,ConnectWise Control (formerly ScreenConnect), Squarespace, Google DriveCall Center Using When I WorkWe use it in our support department for our schedule of user experience people. We also use it to keep track of PTO and schedules when needed. This has helped us greatly in figuring out who is on and at what times. This has also been great to track PTO requests and who is off that day.,Great at allowing us to see at a glance who is working and what shift. Allows us to track the PTO requests. Allows us to customize based on the person and shift.,Can we cumbersome when first setting it up. When trying to change a shift that is stable and going to be the same every day for the future can be tricky setting it up. Users/price.,8,Has had a positive impact on PTO and scheduling people to be able to cover those shifts. Allows us to track hours of people working. We don't use all the features due to not needing them for our company scheduling.,to do work,Google Drive, MS SharePoint
When I Work

When I Work Reviews

When I Work
Filter 10 vetted When I Work reviews and ratings
AK Cyrway profile photo
January 18, 2018

Review: "When I Work - Simple Employee Management"

• Easy to read interface and display
  • Ability to print to PDF for physical reports and record keeping
  • Employee shift management
  • While mouseovers are present, the menu could be designed better
  • Popups in the free version covers up important features when viewed on smaller resolution monitors
  • No direct print feature
The free version of When I Work are great for start-ups and small businesses; the free version can manage up to 75 employees. Custom shifts are easy to make, and one can organize by certain job descriptions.
Read AK Cyrway's full review
Nick Stanley profile photo
December 13, 2017

When I Work Review: "Good overall, room for improvement"

• Electronic Scheduling and communications with employees about shifts
  • Accurate Timekeeping
  • Support really needs improvement. They don't take phone calls!
  • They don't always think of every customer when making changes to the system, and the hierarchy in the system is pretty hardcoded, there's no way to build your own on who reports to who or a way for an assistant manager to cover for the manager.
When I work is good for a small business with 1 or 2 locations. Also good if you are well versed in IT/technology and don't need a lot of support. If your business is getting bigger, it may be more difficult to manage.
Read Nick Stanley's full review
James Mcbride profile photo
October 24, 2017

User Review: "Call Center Using When I Work"

• Great at allowing us to see at a glance who is working and what shift.
  • Allows us to track the PTO requests.
  • Allows us to customize based on the person and shift.
  • Can we cumbersome when first setting it up.
  • When trying to change a shift that is stable and going to be the same every day for the future can be tricky setting it up.
  • Users/price.
Well suited in role of having to organize many people's schedules and needing coverage.
Not useful when an office works 9-5 and everyone has the same schedule.
Read James Mcbride's full review