Overall Satisfaction with Litmus
Litmus is used in the Office of Admissions for developing and testing all email communications with prospective and admitted students. We have approximately 350+ distinct marketing emails and numerous other transactional ones for various events, and they need to be well designed and function correctly in multiple email clients. Litmus ensures that our emails are bulletproof and will be delivered as coded. Litmus has significantly cut down on the amount of time it takes to build an email with snippets and partials, as well as the CSS inlining capabilities. Large email newsletters that previously would take 2 hours to build, can take as little as 30 minutes, and our average build time is only 10 minutes.
- Quick and easy testing and sharing results with others
- Organization of email components (partials, templates, etc.)
- Thorough checklist for email production that's good for novices and experts
- Best email specific text-editor in the industry
- Can be slow
- Search should be available from every screen
- Being able to sort folders and email files alphabetically would be good
- Time saved not needing to manually test emails
- Shorter email review cycles
- Time saved not having to manually inline emails
- Time saved having partials that only need to be updated in one place and show up in many
- Ability to build our email design system within the platform saves time, helps with onboarding, and documentation of email process
The design maturity of our emails has greatly increased since we started using Litmus. Emails are better designed and are built around reusable components. This in turn has allowed us to send out more emails and reach more specific audiences.
Litmus has a better email editor, better partials, and better UI. If I'm going to spend hours a day using a piece of software, I want the UI to look good and make sense. Litmus is more expensive, but it does more than Email on Acid, and the best fit for our marketing team was a single app that could meet most of our needs. Litmus' customer service is also very responsive, and their community forums are quite helpful.
If you need to be sure that the emails you're sending actually work, get Litmus. Manually sending to multiple phones and browsers is a huge waste of time. If you're sending out fewer than 50 emails a year, maybe the expense isn't worth it, but any more and it really pays for itself. Customers have no patience for emails with bad formatting, broken links, etc.
Litmus Feature Ratings
Evaluating Litmus and Competitors
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Managing partials, snippets, and templates
- Moving emails between folders
- Sometimes autosave doesn't work
- Visual editor doesn't work in Firefox
It can be pretty slow at times and auto save has messed up more than a few times when we've had multiple editors on an email. I wish versioning was handled better or that you could automatically sync and export emails to a Git repository. I really wish that you could have CSS as a partial instead of just a snippet. I would love to be able to tweak the CSS in a template or partial and then have it change all the emails with that template or partial. Despite all those shortcomings, it's the best email building and testing tool out there right now by far. It's also priced fairly for small teams and is usable by people who aren't very familiar with HTML and CSS. I have built out a complete email design system in Litmus, and it has greatly decreased time to build emails.