MySQL is a great free solution for web development or in house projects
Andrew Shannon | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 21, 2018

MySQL is a great free solution for web development or in house projects

Overall Satisfaction with MySQL

We implemented MySQL as part of a LAMP stack for a new website we launched which was an Education management system that we custom built to serve our needs. We had very specific needs for our new website to interface with software the company created years ago and so there was no prebuilt solution available to us and we had to build a custom solution. We researched what the best solution was going to be and all roads pointed us to build a website using MySQL as the backend database because of its versatility and customization capabilities.
  • MySQL is first off free to use, so that makes it a win right there.
  • MySQL is constantly updated and security holes are patched quickly and often.
  • MySQL is highly customizable and allows you access to all areas of the database to use it the way you want, plus there is lots of documentation online and other users sharing their customization experiences to help you along the way.
  • MySQL would be useful on Mac computers as well but i do not believe they have a Mac version available yet
  • MySQL can be very overwhelming to get started with, so it would be good if they offered some kind of beginners tutorial for new users
  • Since MySQL is a free database package, if you have someone on staff that understands databases and how to use them, the ROI is very high when using MySQL.
  • If you need to hire a MySQL developer to implement and manage your database then it can be quite costly to manage and that will negatively impact your ROI when using this product.
  • Since there are some very expensive alternatives in the SQL database space, if you compare the overall costs of using MySQL to those other products, I think you will find your ROI is always better when using MySQL
Yes - I am a member of the New Jersey Oracle Applications Users Group.

Since MySQL has such a vast and global user base, that had a huge impact on the choice of MySQL. I saw so many examples of MySQL users helping each other out when they were experiencing a problem, requesting new features, or asking how to do certain things. See that super active community helped put me over the edge in choosing MySQL. I myself have several times posted questions in Drupal or MySQL user groups and received great responses that always have helped me solve my problem or at least point me in the right direction.
MySQL had very similar features to MS SQL Server, but the price was a lot better with MySQL, free! Overall, going with a LAMP stack for our web server helped keep our costs down and see the vast community that supported each other with MySQL, it was an easy choice for us to go with MySQL over other paid solutions. We did hire outside developers who were skilled at MySQL to build our site, but once it was done and they handed over the site, our in-house development team was able to take over management of the website after a few months of working with the outside developers.
MySQL is great for Linux and windows projects when you need a really versatile database that has lots of users behind it and supporting it. MySQL is not great for Mac users, which can be a lot of App developers and graphic designers in the world. You can interface Mac's with the Linux web server pretty easily though, so its not the end of the world if you are a Mac developer.