Overall Satisfaction with Solarwinds Backup
Solarwinds Backup is currently set up as a DR solution for 3 main servers. Active Directory and Domain Controller with VM as a DHCP server, Exchange Server, and ERP Server. DR System is set up with continuous recovery at a secondary location in case the main location fails. This secondary location is tested on a monthly basis in order to ensure availability in case of disaster.
- Unlimited revisions
- Unlimited deletion policies
- Secondary location recovery for testing as well as DR
- Bare metal restore
- Restore complete settings: IP settings, the setting of CPU/Memory for VMs, etc. would decrease management during a restore.
- Individual file backup: more granular settings for backup.
- Change of device name after setup: at times, computer names change after restore so it would be great to rename the device name.
- Option to recovery security key.
- Solarwinds Backup, as with many backups, does not produce ROI until there is a disaster. With 1 ransomware attack so far, the 1.5-hour recovery completed brought immediate ROI for the system.
- Piece of mind: knowing we can recover from just about any disaster is a massive positive impact.
At this time this capability has not benefited my organization as we use our own site(s) for recoveries, but this could be something that would bring benefit in the future.
The management console is easy to use and has all of the tools needed to quickly review backup and recovery information. Additional tools can be added as needed in order to add information to the dashboard.
- SolarWinds MSP Manager
- SolarWinds Remote Monitoring and Management
Having RMM helps asses systems in a single dashboard. MSP Manager helps in the building of tickets, keeping historical information on any individual systems.
Solarwinds Backup provides the most comprehensive backup system. After testing all other systems the weaknesses of Solarwinds Backup are much less severe or risky compared to others. As well the overall cost of Solarwinds Backup's value is the main reason for choosing Solarwinds Backup as the primary backup/DR provider.
Solarwinds Backup would be suited for any setup where recovery time objective is not in the minutes but an hour or more. The overall system would require procedures that could take an hour or two to get a larger location recovered and running again. In my opinion, having a reliable system that can be tested at a secondary site without disrupting the main location and ensure procedures are continuously updated in order to minimize recovery time is a great benefit.