Overall Satisfaction with VMware ESXi
Our organization uses VMware ESXi to host all of our virtual guests. We selected the essentials package and it works very nicely for our requirements. When we switched to it, we became 100% virtualized in our environment. Moving completely to ESXi has allowed us to save on energy, and improve our monitoring overall of utilization. We can also handle backups and data protection much easier.
- Stable Platform
- Simple to Operate
- Advanced Capabilities (Backup, Redundancy, Etc.)
- Licensing could always be less expensive.
- More capabilities within GUI management. Much requires CLI to perform.
- Notification of security updates. You don't always know you need them.
- It's been very inexpensive over time for our environment. There is just a small annual maintenance on our version.
- We've also lowered energy costs, and cooling costs. Physical servers are less now than previously migrating to ESXi.
- It has opened up additional rack space which was limited with our environment. Wouldn't have been possible without virtualizing.
VMware is the leader. I believe they have been doing it the longest. That says something when you are making a choose. They also seem to understand it well, and setup is very straightforward. I find it a lot easier to understand than Microsoft Hyper-V. As far as Xen Server, I just didn't feel Citrix has a big enough market to move our equipment to their solution.
It's a challenging debate with several hypervisors available today. Microsoft has advantages as Hyper-V is part of their operating system. However, VMware started the whole movement and they seem to do it very well. I personally find it the simplest to setup and configure. The reality is at the end of the day you need to understand the tools you work with. It's the type of solution you can't go wrong with when choosing VMware. Everyone else is emulating what they are doing.