<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>Score 8.5 out of 101
Based on 297 reviews and ratings
Likelihood to Recommend
It's best suited for large/multinational organisations with complex networks with limited qualified personnel across every location. However, I wouldn't recommend it for a small organisation with a very simple network architecture.
SolarWinds is specifically suited for network device and SNMP monitoring. While there are other solutions out there that do well for monitoring Windows, SolarWinds is the king of SNMP. It is the best all around monitoring solution that I am aware of. We use SolarWinds for a primarily Cisco network and the ease of adding devices and utilizing out-of-box features was crucial when we first began using the product.
Feature Rating Comparison
Automated network device discovery
Network capacity planning
Packet capture analysis
Wireless infrastructure monitoring
Hardware health monitoring
Baseline threshold calculation
- Monitoring the connection; performance, switching, and issues. We use a broadband connection for our primary and a cellular backup for the secondary. While we use routing protocols to make this switch and WhatsUp isn't used for Syslog monitoring. it alerts us within seconds.
- Backup configurations and archiving. WhatsUp does this particularly well. I use it for both Cisco routers and switches.
- The diagram feature is nice. Though I don't use it as much because of the size of our structure, it does come in handy for mapping routes of all traffic.
- IPAM - helps effective provide history of IP addresses in your organization for audit purposes as well as alerting due to IP address conflicts.
- NCM- effectively being able to configure multiple network devices from a single management point has become a valuable asset
- SAM - Application and Hardware Monitoring is so granular that customization amongst various hardware and software's have been made easy using SAM. Examples: monitoring UPS Battery Life span and Remaining Battery load for multiple UPS across a WAN gives you insight of your backup power situation that can be addressed before it becomes a problem.
- SNMP scripting would be one. Unless you are very well versed in SNMP trapping, you will do a lot of reading/playing/tuning to get exactly what you want.
- The all web interface has been a bit of a bummer. They took a lot of the functions from the admin console that made it easy to add/remove certain features quickly.
- One of my main issues with SolarWinds NPM is the fact that it only supports Microsoft's SQL Database. Since there are open source alternatives, this adds to the overall cost of ownership.
- I feel that the amount of server resources it requires is quite taxing. This can be a make a break for smaller organizations who have limited resources.
- The GUI is needing a major overhaul as it's becoming a bit dated to look at and could use an update.
Likelihood to Renew
Based on 7 answers
Low maintenance cost and great support on problems and issues. SolarWinds has been used here for over 10 years and we are able to have minimal down time and has been solid on monitoring and alerting on our network setup. They are constantly adding new and improving the product and making it better to use all around.
Based on 6 answers
It's easy to use at first. But, when you would either like to go technical OR trying to add a custom monitor the ease of use goes out the door and requires a lot of time to learn its SDK / Back-end tools.Way too much emphasis on user to user support via their Thwack site. Skimping on support cost much? It's slightly disheartening to get better support from other customers then from the "success center" or calling support. Really hurts the ease of use for the product, because its fine until things don't work out of the box, then it gets frustratingly difficult.
Based on 10 answers
In all of the times that we called support, someone at SolarWinds had the answer for us in a timely manner. Through thwack and other internet searching, we have been able to resolve all of our issues that arose to our satisfaction. The support staff have always been knowledgeable of their products or had a fellow support staff member to rely on to get the needed answers.
From a initial setup, WhatsUp takes Splunk down. I had WhatsUp up within minutes of monitoring and rebooting. From a PRTG perspective, setup was about the same. Now PRTG doesn't have all the bells and whistle WhatsUp has but for tracking and monitoring Netflow and Syslog traffic its user interface is easier to maneuver, especially since they went to the web interface only.
The only other product I am familiar with is Zabbix. Although Zabbix is powerful it has a much higher learning curve and implementation is a bit more difficult. There are options to have a vendor create and setup a solution for you, or learn how to customize everything yourself. Because SolarWinds is ready to go after installation, it is easier to get up and running and performs just as well.
Return on Investment
- We are able to train techs to use it quickly in our NOC.
- Server migrations have been slow for our teams, causing confusion throughout.
- The training classes offered are very expensive.
- It has saved us time by alerting us when a node has gone down and telling us exactly which one it is. This has saved us several hours so we are not having to manually search for the issue.
- We have been able to properly secure our school district's firewall overall network using insights.
- The heat maps it provides once the wireless equipment has been added to NPM has made sure we have the proper coverage for our students and faculty.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Additional Pricing DetailsUnique TotalView ‘flexi-license’ leads the industry in flexibility and value. WhatsUp Gold 2017 BasicView: starting at $1,755
WhatsUp Gold More Information
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?