SolarWinds NPM<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>Score 8.6 out of 101
Based on 254 reviews and ratings
Likelihood to Recommend
It's best suited for large/multinational organisations with complex networks with limited qualified personnel across every location. However, I wouldn't recommend it for a small organisation with a very simple network architecture.
I believe NPM is well suited in scenarios where the business has dozens of network equipment and/or servers to monitor. Since it is able to monitor virtually anything, from servers, to network equipment, virtual machines, and wireless devices it is best suited in and environment that supports several different types of devices and within an organization who needs these services up and running at all times.
Feature Rating Comparison
Automated network device discovery
Network capacity planning
Packet capture analysis
Wireless infrastructure monitoring
Hardware health monitoring
Baseline threshold calculation
- Easy to deploy and easy to use. Once configured, it doesn't require much attention besides when adding new devices
- Ability to create maps for end users. Simplifies their monitoring
- Ability to create custom monitors and alerts based on various polling methods
- Great customer service and tech support
- The event log in NPM is quite detailed in explaining what take place and at what time. It also allows you to click on the event so you are able to see the exact node which has been affected.
- NPM also does a great job in constructing visual charts from the SQL database. Once these charts have been created you are able to search for a particular date and time to see what took place on the network, such as how much traffic was sent and received, and utilization of the interfaces being monitored.
- The dashboard gives a nice overview of what's happening on the network. It is also customizable which allows you to remove and/or add any information that you want to see right away.
- The web-based GUI is very slow and not responsive sometimes
- Very expensive training classes
- Most add-on plugins require payment
- NPM can work in conjunction with their Network Engineer toolset. But only a few of the tools are available to use this way. If the integration was completed then SolarWinds would have a real winner.
Likelihood to Renew
Based on 7 answers
Low maintenance cost and great support on problems and issues. SolarWinds has been used here for over 10 years and we are able to have minimal down time and has been solid on monitoring and alerting on our network setup. They are constantly adding new and improving the product and making it better to use all around.
Based on 10 answers
Support has generally been good. We had one issue with a migration, where first support technician gave wrong answer/setup. Have not had to use support that often.
WhatsUp Gold is an industry leading product providing excellent monitoring and reporting capabilities for systems and resources that allow us as the customer to work proactively before system outages occur, which minimizes potential downtime
SolarWinds goes light-years beyond checking for a simple up or down status. We have had the case where a network switch is up and passing packets but no longer providing PoE. NPM let's us know.
Return on Investment
- Excellent network and infrastructure monitoring tool, we can check and be notified about down devices
- I am going to implement Server CPU, Memory, Disk Space and Storage Monitoring in my environment by the end of this year
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
WhatsUp Gold Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing DetailsUnique TotalView ‘flexi-license’ leads the industry in flexibility and value. WhatsUp Gold 2017 BasicView: starting at $1,755
WhatsUp Gold More Information
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
SolarWinds NPM Editions & Modules
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor SL100
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor SL250
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor SL500
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor SL2000
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor SLX
1. Up to 100 elements - License with 1st-year Maintenance
2. Up to 250 elements - License with 1st-year Maintenance
3. Up to 500 elements - License with 1st-year Maintenance
4. Up to 2000 elements - License with 1st-year Maintenance
5. Unlimited elements - Standard Polling Throughput - License with 1st-year Maintenance