Reviews (1-5 of 5)
Training customers with this tool is also easy, people who are not tech savvy catch up quick. It's really easy to use and fun to build.
- Ease of use, a good tool for non programmers, or not so tech savvy people.
- Great support, willing to help a lot, by chat, calls, or screen sharing.
- Fast updates, it's a newer tool, but they are coming with fixes and updates fast.
- Better visual automation builder, they are a little behind here.
- Automate reports, I would love to see this.
For marketing, we are using it for two things: sending newsletters (massive) and triggered campaigns, that means, based on behavior or attributes of our users.
In the case of customer experience, we use them based on behavior. For example, if someone gives us an NPS of 10, we send them an email thanking and inviting them to share their testimony.
Basically, it solves our email issues with the scalability it provides based on their attributes and events engine.
- Managing users, attributes and events. You are easily able to modify any user, based on their ID, and add or remove attributes, assign events to them. That makes it very easy to segment later and to assign them to several campaigns based on behavior. Just a warning: this integration isn't so easy (at least it wasn't for us).
- Creating workflows of campaigns is very easy. You can quickly create behavioral campaigns based on attributes, segments and add elements to the workflow. You can send an email, then wait, then send another, then exit the campaign if they converted, etc. The workflow is easy to configure and very powerful for automation.
- We don't use many email templates (we make them in MJML) but it's very easy to add senders, to change templates and in general to test designs.
- Deliverability works very well, at least for us. It sends emails pretty fast and without issues.
- Exporting is very quick and easy. Importing wasn't a feature until recently, but it works well too.
- Seeing activity it's also useful. In general, logs are awesome (be it of a customer, of activity on the site, email sends, etc.).
- We don't use environments, but it might be very useful for a bigger company.
- Data collection is a very weak part of Customer.io.
- You can't export data. You can't see it in any other way except the one they provide... definitely don't expect to rely only on their data because it's poor and can't be segmented.
- A/B testing could be better. You could use multivariate tests and you should be able to track which parts of the email you sent are most clicked, and so on.
- Onboarding isn't easy. Sending pageviews every time with the ID is very useful but not very easy to achieve, at least for a smaller company. Docs help but are extremely technical. I think it would be useful to have a friendlier or even an integration team for smaller/less technical teams.
- Integrating with other APIs for sending special content. For example, trying to send personalized emails to customers based on previous purchases isn't easy to achieve at all.
If you want a scalable and powerful platform, that will take some time to pay off, and you can wait, then do it. Once you get integrated and start sending events and attributes, the things you can do are almost limitless.
We were able to send out dynamic series based on whether new clients were actively using certain features of our own software -- so we could send the right emails based on behaviors our clients or prospects took using our system. This made our engagements more useful, personalized, and effective.
It's perfect if you want your email series to change dynamically based on customer engagement: for example, let's say you get a new client and want them to complete 3 key steps to register with you. If they take Step 1, but not Step 2 and 3, you don't want to email them asking to do Step 1. So Customer.io would automatically skip your "Step 1 Email" and move on to Step 2 and 3.
It's also excellent for A/B testing, so you can optimize whatever you're using it for.
- Integrate with our existing tools
- Trigger emails based on events
- Automating our email drip campaigns
- Time based/triggered emails for new users signing up
- I may be missing it in the UI, but a place to see the list of emails who qualify for a certain email.
- One easy to view chart of all our automated/lifecycle emails to see what a given user would see over their customer journey. (This is really just a feature request/idea - the product itself is really awesome.)
Where Customer.io is not as well suited would be an environment where each lead/customer requires a personalized email/attention. Customer.io is designed to help you scale, but if you are just writing one off emails you might like another tool.
Customer.io Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Customer.io allows small to mid-size B2B and B2C companies to send triggered or segmented, contextual marketing or transactional (e.g. payment receipts) emails. Customer.io supports A/B Testing, timed messages, multi-touch automated email campaigns based on a trigger event or segment membership (or both), and the requisite conversion tracking to capture what worked. Segmentation assimilates information from events, profile data, message activity, and page views to locate the best customers who are profiled in detail.
Customer.io offers a free, 30-day trial, and pricing starts at $250 for 50,000 profiles and 100,000 messages. Beyond this, Customer.io offers standard $750, $1,250, and $2,500 per month plans with profile size starting at 250,000 for the $750 plan and up to 1,000,000 profiles for the $2,500 plan. Plans can be tailored to suit needs greater than the $2,500 plan, and there's no need for a quote, because customer.io offers an online calculator to calculate various scenarios.
Customer.io is based in Portland, Oregon and has grown rapidly since its initial seed round in May, 2013. Customer.io has been rapidly adopted and is popular in the US, and is used worldwide.
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Does not have featureFree or Freemium Version Available?No
- Does not have featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?No
- Entry-level set up fee?No
Every edition includes free messages and profiles. Small Business: 50,000 profiles / 100,000 free messages per month Startup: 250,000 profiles / 500,000 free messages per month Enterprise: 500,000 profiles / 1,000,000 free messages per month Broadcast: 1,000,000 profiles / 5,000,000 free messages per month
Customer.io Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||60%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||35%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||5%|
Customer.io Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Customer.io Technical Details