Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Reviews

March 02, 2021
Travis Taggart | TrustRadius Reviewer
We currently use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 across our whole organization's 365 footprint. This solution addresses a few items. Firstly, there is no built-in "outside of 365" backup in 365 that meets all regulation needs. Secondly, using the recycle bin in SharePoint is difficult and nearly impossible to manage; having backups of data ensures mishaps can be fixed. Thirdly, the ability to pull in Exchange, SharePoint, and OneDrive is exceptional.
  • Backs up OneDrive, SharePoint, and Exchange in one solution.
  • Ability to store onsite, and also in cloud based storage locations.
  • More detailed error information.
  • Built-in analysis on speed of backups.
I feel it fits all of the needs that we were looking for on 365 backups. It gets Exchange, Sharepoint, and Onedrive, and can store on local or cloud based storage.
HIPAA Regulations, ease of restoring items that 365 didn't have out of the box.
The interface and set up takes some getting used to, but once learned it is easy.
They have been very responsive, and helped us through some issues getting going.
Read Travis Taggart's full review
February 23, 2021
Michael Kubelka | TrustRadius Reviewer
Veeam has been a lifeline to our company. What originally started out as just a data protection scenario to protect from data loss because of cloud issues or accidental deletion has become a recurring resource for recovering emails and files associated with terminated users without the need of archiving a physical copy of users profiles to local storage. We have also seen the benefits that come with SharePoint recovery when someone gets too zealous cleaning up a company directory.
  • The product is simple to set up with step by step instructions.
  • Licensing is straightforward and cost effective.
  • Exploring backups and recovery are quick and easy to test.
  • Deleting users can be tricky. Multiple PowerShell scripts must be run to remove data and license from the platform.
  • When a backup for an object fails there is no clear reason why.
  • No full screen mode that I have found so results windows are hard to read.
Veeam pricing can be a major concern to some large companies. If you are wanting to protect your entire organization of 200 people the cost could become prohibitive. That being said it typically will pay for itself in the event of your first "I don't know what happened to my sales folder" call.
When I first started with the organization there wasn't much vision to the future of the IT needs. I quickly started to identify shortfalls and Veeam was a major player in closing the BDR/data loss hole. Having the partnership with Wasabi cut my research time for storage and practices to a minimum.
Once set up the console has the pertinent features to create backups and restore jobs without a million options to get confused by. Additionally the PowerShell module that comes with the program has great support and allows for more advanced functionality for those that need it.
Ultimately though setup is a breeze to get through.
No matter what the issue has bee or how low of a priority a support issue is Veeam Support has quickly and respectfully answered all questions and would not go away until I assured them that the issue was resolved. That kind of diligence is appreciated in the busy world we live in. The security in knowing support is there for me is a major plus for any program.
Read Michael Kubelka's full review
December 31, 2020
Kenny McGarrity | TrustRadius Reviewer
Despite moving everything to Office 365, Microsoft doesn't do a very good job backing up files stored in Office 365. In comes Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 to the rescue. This software provides the assurance that our Office 365 tenant has the proper backups, and allows us to control our backups in a manner that's consistent with our Veeam backups for on-premises servers.
  • Allows for backups of Microsoft Office 365 to be stored anywhere--locally on-premises or in the cloud
  • Backs up Sharepoint, OneDrive, Exchange Online, and Teams files
  • Backs up and restores files with the same ease and reliability as Veeam Backup and Recovery
  • Restoring files or emails is granular, so there's no need for large bulk restores when you just need a single file/email recovered
  • The initial seeding of backups, especially for large environments, can take a long time--understand your backup sizes ahead of time (this is less a function of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 than of Internet physics)
  • Backups sometimes take longer than I want, but I'm impatient and mostly blame Microsoft.
  • I wish Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 was integrated in Veeam Backup and Recovery
If you have Office 365, you need to ensure you have reliable backups you can recover from. You should never assume that Microsoft is backing up your data. Since you need a solution, why not choose a product that is flexible, solid, and reliable? If you are an existing Veeam customer, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 fits right in with what you're already using.
I have been involved with IT management companies for many years, so I hear horror stories about companies that don't have a proper Microsoft Office 365 backup solution in place. There are many solutions available, but a lot of them are unknown players in the industry. I've seen some pretty terrible interfaces for Office 365 backups, so I wanted to rely on the same quality we are so used to from Veeam; it was a no-brainer.
Simple and intuitive interface, flexible options to store backups on site or in the cloud (AWS, Azure, etc.). Backups and restores are relatively quick.
Generally Veeam's support is excellent. I haven't had any issues with Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365, so I can't really rate them on their technical support. When I called them for a dumb question, they were able to answer quickly without a lot of hoopla.
Read Kenny McGarrity's full review
December 20, 2020
Joe Stern | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use VBfMO365 to backup our entire O365 suite, including Exchange Online, OneDrive, SharePoint and Teams. While we do not expect Microsoft's cloud services to disappear on us, we know they won't help us recover deleted files discovered long after they went missing. That's why we keep our own backups.
  • VBfMO365 integrates with our existing Veeam backups of VMware.
  • I can dump search results to a PST.
  • You can see *all* e-mail, and this means the app must be treated as a tier-0 trust item.
  • It includes public folders.
  • Searching is not fast.
  • Teams/SharePoint/OneDrive data is in there, but it's hard to find.
  • You must have Outlook installed on your management computer to export a PDF. There may be licensing issues if you're using a privileged access workstation, which you definitely should be with this kind of view of all comms.
If you need to get a historical view of your e-mail, or don't trust someone else's computer (i.e. "the cloud") to protect you, you need an onsite backup of your e-mail. VBfMO365 gives you this, in a form that is more tamper-evident than hoarding PST files.
I follow best practice guidelines, and they all say there's a 3-2-1 rule with backups. I needed that second location.
It's gotten easier to implement with each revision. Previously modern authentication was hard to set up, but now it's not. Support is good too.
They have been helpful when I needed them. It can take a few days for low-priority cases to get resolved. I appreciated the on-shore support by people who actually solve problems instead of following scripts.
Read Joe Stern's full review
December 19, 2020
Lee Culwell | TrustRadius Reviewer
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office is being used by the entire organization to backup all of SharePoint files and exchange email accounts. We need to have a backup of all data that we have in the Microsoft Office 365 environment. There are some concerns with having our data in Office 365 and this helps to get past those tensions.
  • Restoring lost emails immediately.
  • Restoring lost SharePoint files immediately.
  • I can check if the email or file existed.
  • It is difficult to sometimes add the correct site, due to how our consultant setup SharePoint.
  • Sometimes the main account loses correct user rights to Office 365 but it is pretty easy to correct.
I like the ability to backup to a local server on site. I looked at 5 different solutions and for me, this functioned the best for our company. I have now used it for 3-4 years and it just works. If I restore, it just works, and that is all I expect. I use Veeam for my other backups.
I know Microsoft only backs up data for 30 days. Most of the time it is discovered the data is missing much after that time period. This means there is a sense of we will be ok. It is difficult to blindly leave data at Microsoft but with this, we have a safety net.
By all the others I tried, that I could afford, this one just works.
Read Lee Culwell's full review
February 23, 2021
We recently migrated from an on-premises Exchange server to Microsoft 365, and expanded our use of Veeam to also cover that. It's used to backup all 365 content company-wide.
  • Backs up cloud-based mail, Teams, and Sharepoint content using a single configuration.
  • Object-level restore capabilities.
  • Allows for enterprise-wide setup so additional users don't need configured as they added.
  • Initial configuration can be complex and documentation does not always align with the current state of Microsoft's frequently-changing infrastructure.
  • Certain parts of the Enterprise setup need repeated after any updates to Veeam components, but this is not made clear following the update, so you may see post-update failures.
  • Requires separate repository configuration from existing Veeam instances, and does not integrate into an existing Veeam presence.
  • Does not have an option for sending backups to tape, and Veeam B&R can't see Veeam O365 backup jobs to smoothly allow for setting this up.
Despite a less-than-complete integration, Veeam for O365 is a good fit for existing Veeam customers, since the interface and general use will be familiar. It also offers a comprehensive backup solution for an entire O365 footprint, without additional component licenses being required, so it is good for companies who intend to use multiple components of O365. Users who only need a single O365 component backed up or who want an all-in-one backup solution for both on-premises and cloud coverage may not be as pleased.
Backups are critical for any business, and are something we take very seriously. With out 365 migration we realized that we would need to find a new method of keeping this now-offsite data backed up, but as existing Veeam customers their solution seemed the easiest to implement. We piloted it during our migration and licensed it when we were fully migrated and in production.
Initial setup can be a bit involved, but once you have it going it mostly requires no interaction. Restores are simple and explorer-driven so finding teh item(s) you are looking forward is very simple.
Veeam's support across the board has always been excellent - they are responsive and thorough.
December 22, 2020
We're new to O365. We've used Veeam for our on-prem backups for years. Having Veeam [Backup for Microsoft Office 365] in place made our migration simpler, as we had a trusted, easy to use backup in place to help us with the inevitatble mistakes that come with moving to something new . We're using Veeam Backup across the entire organization.
  • Super easy to use, by FAR the easiest backup product I've ever used
  • Intuitive interface
  • Excellent reporting
  • Hard to fault this
Very easy to configure and use. We had a junior member of our team do the initial set-up with the assistance of Veeam support. They had the whole thing configured in about an hour, and our junior staffer was very excited about how easy to use this is. The backups are fast and comprehensive. Restores are a breeze too. Don't hesitate.
We were using Veeam to back up our legacy on-prem Notes/Domino environment. Once we decided to migrate to O365, the addition of Veeam [Backup for Microsoft Office 365] was a no-brainer. A perfect fit.
Took less than an hour for one of our junior staffers with zero Veeam experience to get comfortable with using this.
Great, knowledgeable, friendly, but there's always room for improvement
December 20, 2020
Currently, Veeam Backup for Office 365 is being used across our entire organization. The foremost problem being addressed by the Veeam solution is that of backup. Microsoft generally does a good job of keeping data safe, however malicious deletion by an authorized user is the responsibility of the tenant. To mitigate the risk of a departing employee from deleting critical data either purposefully or accidentally, we know we have a series of snapshots to protect the data.
  • Snapshots of Exchange online accounts.
  • Backups of SharePoint sites.
  • Backups of OneDrive data.
  • Ability to separate back up jobs into smaller user groups without having to start over.
  • Ability to search across multiple backup jobs.
Veeam Backup for Office 365 is an excellent tool to keep a snapshot in time of email and file data for long term storage. This saves on cloud storage by not having to extend email and file retention policies to terms years in length to satisfy audit trail requirements. Backups can be archived to offsite or offline storage to ensure viability.
First, when we had on-prem Exchange servers, our policy was to take a snapshot the morning before an employee was terminated or immediately if the termination was unforeseen. This saved us from the loss of data in the case of purposeful or accidental deletion of email.
When email was moved to the cloud, we sought a comparable solution. Veeam.
Second, as we grew our usage of Share{Point, we had to have a backup in case of an error on the part of Microsoft or one of our in house administrators. There was too much work invested not to be able to get back to a know n good configuration. Again - Veeam.
Usability, was for us, quite simple. Having used Veeam products for years, that knowledge investment carried forward to the Backup for Office 265 product.
Very rarely have we even needed support. This is why I only rated a 9, I honestly haven't had to contact support more than once or twice in the entire time I've used the product. In both those instances, they were extremely prompt and professional in helping me solve our issues.
February 24, 2021
We currently use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 for all of our staff and students, backing up to AWS cloud storage. The backup solution is essential considering there is no backup of individual files in O365 by default. Using Veeam allows us to restore item level files quickly.
  • Fire and forget - the backup operation runs autonomously.
  • Very fast restores.
  • Allows us to backup to various cloud solutions.
  • As cloud storage is not built in then it is complex to set up the cloud side of things.
  • Maxes out CPU and RAM so cannot run anything else on the same VM.
The solution is very suitable for our needs, we can backup as much or as little as we want and control retention at the cloud end.
The app gives us the flexibility needed to adjust our spending on backup storage.
There is no out of the box backup for O365 data, should anything happen to users' data in O365 we would be unable to restore.
The app itself is very usable and relatively simple to setup and configure.
Veeam's support team has been excellent.
December 23, 2020
We use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 to protect our Exchange Online mailboxes and, most importantly, protect SharePoint Online content, including all our active sites across the whole organization. We were looking for the backup solution to extend basic Office 365 recovery options and selected Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365, as it totally addresses all our business continuity requirements.
  • Office 365 modern authentication
  • Efficient data transfer
  • Flexible retention policy
  • User-friendly UI
  • Backup validation: the only way to validate is restore
  • Update installation is sometimes confusing
  • Documentation may not contain all the details and you may need to search for KB
Veeam Backup for Office 365 is specifically good when you need to restore an item that is unavailable in the regular Office 365 restore options (e.g., if an item was deleted 90 days ago or was force deleted). There's also still a chance for the major Office 365 disaster, so it is a good idea to keep the extra restore option.
Evaluating Office 365 data protection risks, we found the standard Office 365 recovery options don't cover all possible scenarios, so we were looking for other options and Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 was the winner.
Straightforward backup and very flexible restore options.
Overall support is very good, I like weekly digests from Gostev.
December 22, 2020
We use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 to perform incremental backups of our Office 365 mailboxes and SharePoints daily. When we switched to Office 365, we needed to ensure that a copy of our data could be maintained on site for archival purposes and data recovery.
  • Ease of use to set up backups
  • Navigation of archives for data recovery
  • Speed
  • More flexibility on adding/extending licenses
  • Direct purchase from Veeam
  • Automated updates of software
Backup of cloud-based mailboxes and shared drives is critical and becomes apparent after a user account is removed (as well as for auditing purposes in a regulated environment).
Data recovery for accidentally deleted items that were not discovered within the 90-day Microsoft retention period as well as data recovery from deleted user accounts after their departure from the company.
Sets up in minutes and requires very limited maintenance. Email notifications allow us to identify issues or that everything works as intended.
The couple of times I had to contact support for Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365, I was provided with a solution/instructions to get me sorted out very efficiently. Instructions have always been very clear and tech support is clearly very knowledgeable about the product.
October 30, 2020
Since our whole company is using Microsoft Office 365 as the main office suite software platform it was decided that we will be utilize Veeam Backup for the whole organisation as well. Moving away from on-premise office suite solution allowed us to introduce cloud backup product which in turn enables us to have total control of our Office 365 data - that is a huge advantage if compared to the previous situation.
  • Fully supports all Microsoft Office related products including Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SharePoint and Microsoft OneDrive.
  • Works with multiple cloud object storage platforms making possible to avoid vendor lock-in.
  • Thanks to eDiscovery feature it is possible to perform search on data stored in backups.
  • Integration with Google Cloud is not as easy as with other cloud services.
  • Backup of Microsoft Teams data could be made more seamless for administrators.
  • AWS Glacier support would be a really great addition to the platform.
We have performed an extensive research and concluded that Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is a perfect fit if you are about to move from on-prem Office version to Microsoft Office 365, mainly thanks to its seamless integration with the whole platform. You might better look for something else if you do expect to execute backups for less than 10 users - Veeam Backup advanced features are an overhead in that case.
With such a big company as ours data loss accidents happen almost every day and it became obvious that Office 365 data backups are a must for us. The starting point was to move from on-premise Microsoft Office 2013 to Office 365. After that step was finalized we have assessed that Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is a solution which fits all our needs.
It is now 4th version of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 that we are using and over the last couple of month it was obvious to us that usability is something development team at Veeam Software puts a lot of focus at. All main functionalities are easily accessible and well thought through. More advanced features are well documented in manuals and online reference guides.
We have encountered a few major issues when integrating with Azure platform and we were consulting those with Veeam Software support team. We were generally glad to get quick and professional help, which enabled us to finalize the integration really fast. Their ticketing system seems to work efficiently, without unnecessary delays. It is also worth to mention, that the Veeam Knowledge Base helps to solve different kinds of issues with a minimal effort needed.
May 29, 2020
Adam Vogini | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is being used across the company as our primary means of backup for all Office 365 tenants, namely Exchange Online, OneDrive for Business, and Sharepoint sites. Since O365 does not have a built-in backup system, this is filling in that gap, and allowing us to put backups elsewhere than the Azure cloud.
  • Integration with Office 365 is relatively easy to set up
  • Licensing costs make sense and are affordable for SMBs
  • Very easy to find and recover emails and OneDrive files with the built-in tools
  • More detailed reporting of backups
  • Setting up connections when your tenant is using MFA is a bit cumbersome still.
Absolutely would recommend Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 to anyone of any business size. Backups are essential, even if they are in the cloud, and a lot of businesses I feel do not realize that Microsoft is not offering any real backup process or system to protect their data. Also, the initial costs and renewals are extremely affordable for most businesses...and there is even a free version for very small businesses!
We learned of the lack of backup for Office 365 from our VAR as we were moving from Exchange 2010 to Exchange Online. Due to that, we immediately got involved with Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 when it was in beta, and have not been disappointed since!
For usage in a general sense, I would rate it as high as a nine. However, due to the odd issues when setting up Exchange Online and OneDrive/Sharepoint, I would give it a seven. It seems that doing one or the other and having issues is easy to troubleshoot, however when setting them both up, and you have MFA set up with O365 as well, small issues can crop up that typically require a support call in the end to fix.
Overall, Veeam support is excellent. The only reason I would not give it a 10 right now is it seems they have brought on several newer support engineers, and they do not have the people skills that I normally expect from Veeam support. Though I am sure this can be learned.
Read Adam Vogini's full review
May 29, 2020
Michael O'Riley | TrustRadius Reviewer
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is used for our entire organization. It provided us a means of backing up emails, SharePoint, and One Drive.
  • Restoring individual files within OneDrive
  • Restoring mailbox items on Office 365
  • Restoring SharePoint items
  • The lack of status reports.
  • Backup notification emails don't work consistently.
An organization using Microsoft Office 365 that does not have a way to backup OneDrive would benefit greatly from Veeam Backup. Also, it would benefit an organization needing an Office 365 email backup solution. This will not work for on-premise solutions.
Users were saving crucial work files onto OneDrive and it provided a way for IT to ensure files were recoverable. Additionally, it provided IT away to recover mailboxes after they were removed or maliciously deleted.
Veam interface is easy to use especially if you are already familiar with their backup product.
Veeam provides superior support. They are fast and always willing to go that extra mile.
Read Michael O'Riley's full review
March 16, 2020
Anthony Petzold | TrustRadius Reviewer
Veeam Backup for Microsoft O365 is being used by our entire organization. We have working to migrate to SharePoint online but had concerns about the best way to backup and restore items in the cloud. We had concerns about restore times and bandwidth usage with other solutions we were evaluating and Veeam's solution blew us away with how quick and easy it was to restore. This solution makes it simple to restore or just recover single documents and send them out to the person who needs them.
  • Backing up content.
  • Restores quickly.
  • Integration with normal Veeam backup.
  • Creating repositories.
We have had situations where a user deleted an item and we were not notified until 2 weeks later. It was easy to navigate to the page and recover the document without having to restore the entire site. I think this is well suited for SharePoint 365 and One Drive but not as an email backup solution as the compression is not built into Veeam.
We attended SharePoint Fest a few years ago and it was identified that Microsoft wasn't backing up our Office 365 environment. We have tried using other solutions like AvePoint and had a horrible experience. We used Veaam for our virtual Environment so it made sense to move to one single platform. We did the trial and it was simple to set up and connect to our O365 environment.
Easy to Use especially when you are used to the Veeam Backup and Recovery. The User Interface is very easy to use and has a wonderful layout. Everything is set up logically and is very straight forward in the overall layout. The User Interface is easy to navigate and return to your previous page you were working on.
Every time I have contacted Veeam for support they have been very attentive and easy to work with. They understand that Backup and Recovery is an important part of any organizations makeup and treat it as such. They are quick to respond and help resolve the issues as quickly as possible.
Read Anthony Petzold's full review
May 26, 2020
Scott Vogel | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 for full backups of Exchange, OneDrive, and SharePoint.
Office 365 maintains minimal retention by default.
  • ORG Backups
  • Restores for archiving
  • Managing jobs that hang gets messy, and the solution doesn't seem polished.
  • Logging is just not conducive to troubleshooting, and 9/10 times you have to open a support ticket.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is a great product for holding onsite backups of O365 services and archiving purposes.
We needed a better archive solution since Microsoft 365 has nothing, and the process for archiving user data is clunky.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is very easy to set up and use. It is far more difficult to troubleshoot issues. Logging does not provide proper information and most likely requires a support call.
The problem is troubleshooting and logging. Support gives workarounds as the logging isn't available. Specifically, if a job is hung you will not know the particular file or status.
Read Scott Vogel's full review
June 15, 2020
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is being used by our organization in several different ways, to address several different needs that we have. As always it is nice to have a way for our users to recover their data should they have an issue with deleted files. This is especially helpful when your organization is first using Office 365. We also use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 to help with archiving data of users who have left our company. We use it to capture their Outlook and OneDrive for archiving.
  • Veeam does a great job of providing support when I've had questions.
  • The integration with Office365 is great and easy to set up.
  • The interface is easy to use and makes cross training quite simple.
  • Consolidate the different Office product explorers into one product.
  • Make it easier to separate backup job types.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is well suited for any sized organization that uses Microsoft Office 365. It is especially useful for organizations that have recently adopted Microsoft Office 365 as it can be a safety net for new users who are adjusting to new ways of working with their files and Office365. It can also be useful for archiving users' data by capturing the contents of their Outlook and OneDrives. I am hard pressed to think of a scenario where Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 would be inappropriate.
When you learn that there are limitations to the retention and archiving of Office 365 data, that is when you understand the need for Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365. Reading the reviews and running a pilot was instrumental to us choosing Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365. The support from Veeam and its reputation were key as well.
It is very intuitive, well documented, and well supported. We have been able to train our IT staff to use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 and use it effectively.
Veeam has been a great partner so far. When the coronavirus pandemic hit, one of the first calls I received was from our Veeam agent who checked in on me and the organization to see if we were okay and if we needed any assistance with our Veeam environment. It was a very nice gesture that was unexpected.
June 08, 2020
We use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 across the entire organization to backup our cloud resources. While we like the flexibility of Office 365, we also are not completely comfortable relying 100% on others to protect our data.
  • Ease of setup
  • Reporting of covered assets
  • Change tracking backups that control the size
  • Missing some resources on occasion
Anyone using Microsoft Office 365 should still be protecing their data. Veeam Backup makes this easy and painless. We already use Veeam to protect our virtual machines infrastructure, so using the same vendor to extend that to our cloud-based resources is great.
It was part of our initial risk assessment as we moved to Office 365. We had a requirement of being able to backup and export our data from a vendor's system. Veeam makes both of those possible. Having this offering allowed us to make the switch to Office 365, and we haven't looked back from hosting our own email since.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is very much a "set it and forget it" product. Once you go through the initial configuration, you can set up reporting on the nightly backups and be notified of any issues. It doesn't vie for my attention and just does its job.
Very few interactions with support, which is good in and of itself. When we have they have been great to get a resolution.
June 05, 2020
We back up our entire organization using Veeam. The recovery and search elements have proved time and time again, the value and reliability of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365. Finding critical information and being able to restore it quickly and efficiently means we chose Veeam over Microsoft tools to find and restore exactly what we need.
  • Easy to configure
  • Great Support team who respond quickly and are friendly
  • Intuitive search features make finding and restoring easy
  • The Explorer features should be as standard out of the box
  • A reporting dashboard would make it easier to investigate any issues
  • Selecting the Office 365 areas to back up could be sorted into specific application areas
I can only comment on the small business market and even with this, it can take some time to set up. Therefore Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 may not be well suited to the large scale or enterprise environments. For us though, even with the setup taking a little time, it was well worth the effort for the ease of use with the search functionality.
We needed something with which we could reliably retrieve old archived information quickly. Microsoft was not always able to find or deliver information in a reasonable timeframe and in some cases, could not retrieve the information at all. Veeam offered an affordable, quick, robust, and easy to use platform that backs up the entire organization effortlessly and without crippling our other internet-based services.
The explorer and search functionality couldn't be easier to use, so simple.
Cost effective, quick and efficient
June 01, 2020
We are using Veeam Backup for MS Office 365 to backup all users mailboxes on a daily basis. It has worked extremely well for us. I am able to restore anything from entire mailboxes down to individual emails quickly and easily. This is extremely easy to use and powerful software to backup your 365 data.
  • Performs 365 backups easily and without issue.
  • Interface is easy to understand and use.
  • Restoring is powerful. Can search and restore anything from entire mailboxes to individual emails.
  • A more advanced search might be useful.
Veeam for 365 is well suited for anyone in need of an excellent backup solution for Office 365 mailboxes and information. Since we store our backups for 365 on a local server, our only need is the necessary space to store these backups. As long as we watch that storage for capacity issues, we are good.
We learned that we needed a backup option for Office 365 data since Microsoft does not backup data for tenants. We were familiar with the Veeam interface, since we use Veeam for server backups, so Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 was a logical option for backing up our 365 data.
This solution is easy to implement, manage and use. We can restore data backups quickly and can search through mailboxes or SharePoint data to find exactly what needs to be restored.
We have not had much contact with support for this software, but any time in the past that we have needed support from Veeam, it has been quick and efficient.
May 31, 2020
We are using Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 by making a local backup of our emails, our SharePoint sites and our One Drive documents. It addresses the business continuity concern by having our data in multiple locations.
  • The software was simple to setup and works seamlessly.
  • The restore process is simple as well.
  • I have not had any issues with the software since installing it.
  • This software only works with a local or external USB drive. It needs to be able to backup to a NAS solution.
The software is well suited for situations where you want added layers of protection for your data by keeping it in multiple places and not just in the cloud.
We came to the realization after disabling an account and finding the mailbox was completely removed that we were unable to recover the items.
The software is simple to setup, simple to use.
I have not had a need to call support as of yet. Everything has been easy and working.
May 26, 2020
We currently use Veeam Backup for Office 365 as an on-prem backup for cloud-based data. The largest advantage in this particular scenario is the ability to easily export an Exchange Online mailbox to a PST for archival purposes when an employee leaves the company. The current Exchange Online administrator portal does not easily allow for this. In addition, similar archival actions can be taken with a user's Sharepoint and OneDrive data.
  • Ease of use
  • Detailed reporting of backup successes and failures
  • Supports a wide variety of Office 365 products
  • Exchange Online point in time browsing and export is slow
  • Lack of support for Teams message history
  • Warnings and Errors in reports are vague
Veeam Backup for Office 365 is a great tool if it meets your use case. For many organizations, backing up Office 365 data is likely not a concern. However, in an environment where data needs to be retained for (potentially) years after an employee has left the company, easily being able to export all Office 365 data to local storage is much easier than any other methods that exist and much cheaper than maintaining a license for a user that is no longer with the company.
Backing up Office 365 data solved three problems:
  • Allowed for easy export of former employee data across the Office 365 set of applications, freeing up licenses
  • Allows for complete data assurance for legal hold scenarios, not just Exchange Online
  • Soothed executive fears over control and access to all organization data
As an organization that already uses Veeam Backup for our virtualized VMWare environment, familiarity with the product and interface, as well as the high level of quality of that product, assisted in the decision to move forward with Veeam Backup for Office 365.
Exploring backups of Exchange, Sharepoint, and OneDrive across point-in-time backups is extremely easy using the management tools provided. But the real advantage is in the included Powershell Modules, which allow for automation of a large number of tasks that might otherwise have to be manually executed in certain situations.
As of yet, I have not had to use support for this product. It works well and is intuitive out of the box.

Updating the product can sometimes be a bit of a chore, as the server and the data explorer versions must be equal (or with a newer data explorer except across major versions) and the automatic update utility has in the past not updated both components.
April 21, 2020
We are using Veeam O365 Backup to create an on-premise copy of all our O365 data. Given certain situations where we needed to recover long-deleted or misplaced emails and files, we decided to implement Veeam's O365 backup to deal with those issues. We are running an entire organization backup every hour for every user that includes their Exchange Online data, SharePoint, and OneDrive data are all backed up to a RAID drive for redundancy. We are able to browse and restore any of the backup points when needed to pull an email or file if a user deletes it. It also gives us peace of mind in case of a cybersecurity issue where a rouge program deletes or encrypts all a user's files or emails.
  • Great UI and easy to pick up and configure.
  • Backups are seamless and effective.
  • Detailed backup reporting is missing - Only success, error, and failure.
  • Requires Windows to run, no Linux/WebUI support.
It's highly recommendable to any organization with a primarily Office 365 data presence. While Microsoft is in charge of providing a highly available service, they aren't in charge of keeping your data secure. It is free for organizations with under 10 users to backup and up to 1TB of Sharepoint data, so it's more than sufficient for small businesses.
We had a few instances where critical emails were lost due to being accidentally deleted, marked as junk, or otherwise. Some files also had been deleted and were not recoverable, especially as versions became overwritten. Veeam provided a free tier which was valuable in helping us test the features and robustness of the overall solution.
The set-up was a little bit tricky at first, having to deal with granular Office 365 permissions. However, once you get over the hurdle of dealing with Azure Active Directory and PowerShell permissions, the actual setup of the application was rather quick. Input a few passwords and you're off. There are few configuration settings ultimately for the backup itself though, as you can only pick certain "objects" to include or exclude. You don't get fine granular detail over retention policies, just blanket retention for the whole organization.
Veeam provides a "best-effort" support response for the free tier which we are currently on. Their support is fairly decent and was able to help get us set up pretty quickly. I do not have experience with their SLA'ed support though, so I can't speak to that.
April 07, 2020
We use Veeam Backup for Office 365 to backup Exchange online mailboxes, everyone's OneDrive, Teams groups, and Sharepoint online. In order to make our move to Office 365, we needed to be able to control and protect our data. It also gives us easier access to restoring files and mailboxes without having to involve Microsoft.
  • Easy to setup and use.
  • It mounts the backup fast and gives you an easy to use UI for restoring files and/or folders.
  • Backups all the services that we use in Office 365.
  • No outages so far.
  • Instead of "Backup everything" I would like the ability to "Backup everything Teams," "Backup everything Exchange," etc. Since we aren't backing up all user accounts I have to manually add new Teams to a second job.
  • When buying more licenses you have to merge the license files together in the portal; this could be done better.
  • Reports could be more detailed when something goes wrong.
You cannot put all eggs in one basket, Microsoft servers might crash and burn and you need some way of ensuring your companies critical data stays available and safe. It just works, I have forgotten about the backup for a while and then checking the reports and nothing out of the ordinary. No maintenance required apart from updates when they are released.
We were already using Exchange online and saw a small need of being able to restore mailboxes easily. We also saw many advantages with moving more data to the cloud with Teams, Sharepoint Online and OneDrive. But in order to keep our data safe and available, we needed to be able to keep a local copy of it. Since I had previous experience with Veeam Backup and Replication, it looked like an obvious choice.
It's very easy to setup, setup storage repositories and connect to Office 365 and use. The user interface is also very easy to use and navigate. I only need to interact with the software to restore data or do updates to the system. Also, able to backup to the cloud if the need should arise in the future.
I have not had to use the support other than for licensing issues, but so far it has been painless and easy.
April 06, 2020
We wanted a backup for our Office 365 as a secondary solution to cover the shared calendars, contact lists, and tasks that users save on their profiles.
  • Simple to setup
  • Easy to manage
  • Cheap to purchase
  • Great support
  • Changes to user numbers takes time to show on the console.
WE have Mimecast in place, but the cost to add on the full backup features was far too high. This fits nicely in the middle as a reasonably priced solution that gives us exactly what we need.
We reviewed various solutions but this came up as the best for cost and ease of use. We have various shared calendars and other resources that were not covered by our existing solutions so this was the perfect compromise.
Very simple to use and the interface is familiar given we already use other VEEAM products.
Very quick to respond to any issues and there is a huge user group that often shares experiences and issues so it's quick to solve problems.

What is Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365?

Veeam® Backup for Microsoft Office 365 aims to eliminate the risk of losing access and control over Office 365 data including Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business and Microsoft Teams – so that data is always protected and accessible. Veeam gives the user secure backup of Office 365 to any location, including on premises, a hyperscale cloud, or a service provider and:

• Protects Office 365 data from accidental deletion, security threats and retention policy gaps
  • Quickly restores individual Office 365 email, files and sites with industry-leading recovery flexibility
  • Meet legal and compliance requirements with efficient eDiscovery of Office 365 items
New in version 5 - Purpose-built backup and recovery for Microsoft Teams, to make it easier to find and restore Teams data, including entire teams, specific channels and settings. Version 5 also includes architectural enhancements that the vendor states deliver 5x the scale increase to support larger enterprises and up to 2x faster Office 365 data movement to object storage.

The vendor offers a 30-day trial and a short demo series on Office 365 backup.

Useful resources:

Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Screenshots

Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Video

Watch this short demo video to learn how to backup and recover Office 365 Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business data with Veeam

Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Downloadables

Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Integrations

Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Competitors

Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Pricing

• Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes

Veeam sells through channel partners. Contact your partner for detailed pricing and quotes. If you do not have a partner, you can find a reseller or contact sales for assistance.

Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Customer Size Distribution