IBM SPSS Review
February 08, 2019
IBM SPSS Review
Score 7 out of 10
- IBM SPSS Statistics
Overall Satisfaction with IBM SPSS
IBM SPSS is an analytics software, also used for data mining that enables users to conduct basic and advanced statistical analyses. I used SPSS departmental for a period of time to facilitate a team outside my main organisation to cross-validate results coming from different tools. The platform proved quite easy to get used to and the simplicity of the software made the research convenient.
- Ability to handle large volumes of data
- User-friendly that makes the software easy to understand
- No special technical knowledge is needed since everything, from testing statistical models to predictive analytics, is already implemented
- The simplicity of the interface make the teaching process to other members of the team very fast and efficient
- There are other great statistical software packages that are open source
- The simplicity and user-friendliness of SPSS comes with a functionality trade-off
- The functions of SPSS lack in terms of graphical capability which can be a major obstacle to a novel data analyst
Using SPSS has proven to be very time saving and efficient when it comes to training staff to use the software. There is little room for mistakes which makes analysis results trust-worthy especially compared to results deriving from large amounts of hand written scripts.
The fact that results are produced quickly and team members are fast to teach combined with the opportunity I had to use the software for free, made this a good experience.
Other software that I can compare to SPSS include R, Excel and SAS. Overall, SPSS is easier to get familiar with and more user friendly which is why I can see it as more appropriate for taught courses. The computational capabilities are not similar to R, but on the other hand it is simpler to use. Excel is much more time consuming in any scenario deriving from the very basics of statistical analysis.
Overall, I can see how IBM SPSS can be used by teams with simple objectives when it comes to analytics. It is similarly very appropriate for teaching students about basic notions of applied statistics. However, compared with other statistical software and programming languages, it does not come with great advantages in terms of computational capabilities and customization.