Overall Satisfaction with Marketo
Marketo is being used for welcome emails, tracking product usage events, form fillouts, content, nurture campaigns, webinars and email blasts. It's being used by all departments. Marketo is used for all external email communications on behalf of the company. It also serves as a critical step in lead lifecycle processing, where all leads pass first through Segment.io or from a list import, through Marketo, and then to SFDC.
- Activity logging, and reports on data value changes. This is great to refer to, as it's out of the box. With SFDC, you need to create a timestamp field.
- Email Nurture. I haven't seen any other ESP that has a "set it and forget it" approach like Marketo! You can easily add emails, and set the cadence accordingly.
- Marketo nurtures some great champions. The Marketo Champions are hyper intelligent and have done some amazing things with the product. They are really able to shine through the easily searchable community. Whenever I had a question, I was able to find a thread on it in Marketo Community.
- Support and features: in using features in Marketo, I've come across times where the feature doesn't work like it is expected. When contacting support, while they are able to provide an answer, it doesn't necessarily mean that answer is accurate. Many times, after walking through an issue step by step, support was able to confirm that it was in fact on Marketo's end, and no the user end. This is where the community board has been super helpful, as others can vouch for experiencing the same issue.
- Support documentation: our company has run across a lot of system delays and setbacks and I believe a lot of it is due to lack of knowledge on what the system can actually handle. It would be helpful to know what the typical Marketo user is, and when it's time to know when we've outgrown the system. At the same time, more documentation on how to set up an efficient Marketo instance would be extremely helpful.
- SFDC integration. There are a lot of upsides to the integrations, and I also think certain features should be revisited. There are certain functions that are restricted if using SFDC heavily (unable to select custom SFDC fields for Sales Insight, can't use custom SFDC objects in segmentations..). I think Marketo should revisit this partnership, and see if there are quick wins to improve this feature!
- We haven't tracked how Marketo has positively/negatively affected our business.
Yeah, it depends! I am a promoter for Marketo if you have no developer resources, and are a small/single marketer trying to get some web dev/demand gen efforts up and rolling. I think if you are a bigger company, then you really have to be smart about what you're using it for, so that it can scale with your business.