Overall Satisfaction with Mavenlink
We adopted Mavenlink as our global project management system and our time tracking system for billing our services. Every project is broken down into its component parts. Mavenlink allows us to track hours spent on tasks AND projects by individuals and our entire agency. We require our entire agency to ONLY communicate through Mavenlink so we can see the entire process, every question, every answer, every iteration of deliverables, and more. Finally, we copy/paste links (from Dropbox) to all files related to each project so anyone who needs to find out about the project can do so from Mavenlink.
- Allows quick tagging of other team members so you can bring them into the conversation.
- Connects with automation software tools so that exports and imports from other programs run seamlessly.
- Clone functionality throughout so creating similar tasks or projects is super easy and fast.
- Sometimes when searching for a task, Mavenlink doesn't "find" it because I'm not searching in the right channel. There's not a global search feature that works for my needs.
- The interface is ugly and cold. It's also highly technical in how it works. It isn't intuitive to operate.
- The mobile app stinks; using a mobile browser works okay, but it's not optimized for mobile.
- You can't really create bookmarks for tasks in your browser. So it takes several clicks to get to were you're going.
- Mavenlink helped us identify where we were underbilling. Part of our business was never profitable. We had tried many ways to figure out what was going on to no avail. Mavenlink helped us unpack how many hours were really being spent on similar projects across our clients. We have been able to adjust not only our planning but our forecasting and billing to turn this money vacuum into a money maker.
- We set ourselves apart by finishing work — even massive projects ‚ on time. Mavenlink helps us maximize our productivity. A single employee can see how many hours have already been used out of the forecast and keeps a project moving. We have very little downtime as an agency because Mavenlink helps us maximize capacity.
- Asana, Basecamp, Trello and Microsoft Project
Note: I used these in other agencies and other companies before coming to Golden Spiral. While the interfaces and mobile functionality for Asana and Trello are much nicer than Mavenlink, they just don't have the power and connectivity of MVL. Microsoft Project requires a slide rule and an on-staff engineer to operate properly. Basecamp is nice and we use it in some ways, but it doesn't have the wide breadth of features that MVL does. The ones I listed are like driving a Yugo. Mavenlink is like driving a V8.
Mavenlink is best suited for a team tackling LARGE projects together. Large projects have sub-projects and tasks as part of the plan. Mavenlink keeps the team connected, communication flowing, time tracked and helps the team check off the completion boxes for a sense of collective satisfaction that the work is getting done.