Pure Storage is the most effective storage I've ever used
Chris Saenz | TrustRadius Reviewer
Updated May 22, 2020

Pure Storage is the most effective storage I've ever used

Overall Satisfaction with Pure Storage FlashArray

Pure Storage is our Tier 1 storage platform for all servers and services hosted in our datacenter. That's dozens of applications, big and small, in a diverse technical environment with lots of different workloads. The workloads on Pure Storage arrays are 99% virtualized. While it was originally brought in to host our largest workloads that require the highest performing IO, it quickly became the standard for storage performance. Any system engineer will tell you that storage performance issues are a pain, and with shared storage, are not easy to manage. Pure Storage has made storage performance issues a thing of the past and high performing storage is the new normal.
  • High performing storage IO.
  • Simple set-up, configuration, and administration.
  • Cost can be relatively high.
  • Capacity increases only come in specific sizes (2, 5, 10TB), so upgrades are not very customizable.
  • Lessens storage administration overhead through its simplicity.
  • Users in our Tier1 application notice the performance increase instantly. Happy customers are priceless.
The price was high, which almost kept it out of our reach. Our reps were able to get us into programs that made sense short-term and long-term. Our first install of Pure Storage was an immediate success. So while it took a little faith to get that first array in the door, we have been extremely content with our initial and subsequent purchases since. I would tell other prospective customers to ask if there are any entry programs or proof of concept demos available; I always want to see a thing work in my environment before purchase.
We have benefited from many aspects of Pure Storage. Performance is our number one benefit. Our one array will support up to 100k IOPS and I think more when we upgrade. The performance combined with the ease of use has made the overall administration costs of supporting enterprise storage very low; freeing us up to do other things than troubleshoot storage issues.
All-flash storage is a complete shift from traditional spinning-drive arrays. The performance difference is like night and day. The simple administration and effective use of capacity with deduplication and compression have allowed us to make the most out of our array and stretch our dollars. The FlashArray comes fully loaded with APIs for every function, which makes us excited to see how future products integrate with it.
End-users (especially our users that manage our applications with the biggest workloads) have now become accustomed to high performing storage. I'm afraid going back to slow storage is simply not an option at this point. But from day one, our users noticed the instant performance increase and were extremely pleased with the results. We once had a database upgrade on our student information system where we chose to switch over to Pure Storage array at that time. Pretty much the entire user base (students, faculty, staff, admins) noticed the increase in the responsiveness of the SIS. Making the entire university happy is a pretty good feeling.
NetApp has a lot of issues. Its software is clunky and complicated. It wastes much capacity in the storage operating system. It doesn't do deduplication and compression that well and takes a CPU hit when it does. And all-flash storage was never really an option. At just about every level, we were tired of NetApp and have since become used to the simplicity and performance of Pure.
Pure Storage FlashArray works extremely well as an on-premise high-performing storage array. It has worked very effectively for us in our virtualization environment, throwing workloads like Oracle, PeopleSoft, OpenShift, VDI, etc. at it. Their APIs and software support makes integrations with hypervisors and hardware very straight forward. If you need low performing disk arrays with simply a lot of storage capacity, this may not be appropriate for your environment - you can definitely get a ton of cheap capacity elsewhere.

Pure Storage FlashArray Feature Ratings

Flash Array Performance
Flash Array Integration
Data Compression
Non-Intrusive Upgrades
Simplicity
Power Savings

Simplicity

Having used Pure Storage's FlashArray for several years now, I can attest that their commitment to simplicity is an obvious strength of their arrays. First, their storage management is simple. The included graphs and data that display trends and space savings is extremely helpful (and free!). Creating LUNs is simple and understandable. I've used other arrays that involve LUNs inside of volumes inside of aggregates which all need to be considered. Pure is far more straightforward. Their APIs and CLI commands for setting up other features and managing the array is easy to work with also. Many of their advanced features are a few CLI lines and can be automated with a few API calls.

Lastly, I can attest to their non-disruptive upgrades being exactly that. We've done everything from simple storage expansions to OS updates to full controller upgrades without a single second of downtime. When other vendors have failed miserably at this (and I can attest to that pain), Pure has delivered on this promise.