Spotfire - Review and analysis
October 11, 2018
Spotfire - Review and analysis
Score 8 out of 10
TIBCO Cloud Spotfire Enterprise
Overall Satisfaction with TIBCO Spotfire
TIBCO Spotfire is being used by specific departments within our organization. Obviously with our organization being so large not all departments can utilize it. It addresses issues of dashboards and graphs. Data can be used in a better way and represented to make management decisions. We require analytics of data across different areas of the website and/or software. TIBCO helps track this beautifully and can be easily integrated with other software to derive this data. It has a very scientific way of generating data and reports. Publishing reports is also a breeze and can be done easily.
- TIBCO Spotfire has excellent visualizations, designs, customizations that can be done at your fingertips. It provides great analysis.
- It can be integrated with other software to derive data and correlate data for better reports.
- It has a role-based, secure, mobile friendly platform and reports that can be used by anyone in the organization.
- TIBCO needs to provide manuals for training teams who are not aware on how to use the software. Support documentation is clearly lacking and needs to be addressed.
- Templates are missing and can result in difficulty in creating complex reports. Simple one-click reports are a breeze, but anything further needs to be detailed out by the software provider.
- Cost is expensive. Hence suitable for larger organizations.
TIBCO does a few things very well compared to the other software. It has its own pros and cons. TIBCO was selected because of its mobility support, 1-click 1-step easy reports and capture of analytics. Geographical location can be captured with this tool which was a major requirement for the software we were using. Hence we used this software and integrated it with other tools for reports.
- Positive for generating reports we needed and viewed them on a daily basis.
- Negative for some of integration issues with the Java platform.
- It has a positive affect when publishing these reports in the cloud so that it can be viewed by the entire organization.
- It has great security and role-based features.
- In-person training
Majority of the training was in-person and was self taught. We went through the software by ourselves a lot of times to figure out how reports can be created and published. At the start we used pdf reports most of the time and later shifted to web-based reports and analytics. Reports were generated on a frequent basis for all teams to analyze software update results.
TIBCO Spotfire was integrated with SQL server, Microsoft access, JAVA API's and other database. We definitely benefited from this as better reports could be generated and more sense could be made out of raw data. Also, we could correlate data and generate some data we would not have otherwise visualized. It has KPI's, trend analysis, forecasting and other features which can be handy.
With all software, there are pros and cons. Same is the case with TIBCO Spotfire. It has its own advantages and disadvantages. It comes with its own cost. It is very appropriate for simple crystal clear dashboards and visualizations. It is less suitable when it has to be integrated with Java. There are some issues with it lacking training material and support, it is difficult to figure this out. It is time consuming to solve these problems.