Overall Satisfaction with Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
The appliance is currently being used to back up both physical servers, 2 VMWare hosts along with numerous Vms within the vSphere.
- Can back up almost any type of machine whether it be physical or the numerous VM options.
- Always starts on time for our nightly backups and is fairly quick depending on size.
- Allows for redundancy with the Unitrends Cloud backup which gets replicated from on-prem backups.
- Although the UI has had improvements a little more refinement would be nice.
- One or two click full backups would be handy for a quick master of a machine/VM before a nightly incremental.
- Simple file recovery for any lost or accidentally deleted files.
- Bringing back full VMs into our vSphere that were lost due to Host failures and corruption of the server OS.
- Used a full backup to bring back a file server that had a hardware failure.
- Code42 (formerly CrashPlan)
Outside of manually swapping external drives we haven't used any other appliance solution. We did move to CrashPlan now Code42 for backup file redundancy of our file servers to ensure two points of recovery with the external drives. We have since kept CrashPlan for an added layer of redundancy on top of the Unitrends appliance for just the file servers.
With varying appliances and options the Unitrends line can easily be utilized for small to large businesses. If the company only has a single server it may be best to use a cloud backup solution with an external drive but with 2 or more servers the Unitrends appliance can be a lifesaver and bring comfort in knowing data is safe.