Contentful is a cloud based CMS solution that provides the ability to manage content across multiple platforms.The editing interface allows for managing content interactively and provides developers the ability to deliver the content with the programming language and template framework of their choice.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/VU/3Q/OATPZ9XTS8DO.pngContentful: Modern Content Infrastructure Built For the Future of Web DevelopmentI use Contentful as a headless CMS to build static websites (with GatsbyJS and ReactJS) for small businesses and startups who need a high-quality, modern, low-maintenance solution. I also use it for my company's primary website.,Clean, modern interface (not clunky and outdated, like WordPress) High degree of flexibility (I can structure data any way my clients need) Enables headless frontend (i.e. I can build any frontend I want without having to change my CMS),Contentful uses "references" to allow you to build very modular content. If I have a "slider" content type, I can create a "slide" content type which references a "button" content type, and so forth. This works well, but I occasionally wish there was a better solution for one-off content, like a settings page. Currently, this is done for creating an entire content type called "settings" with a single entry. Not a big deal, but not ideal, either. There are a few quirks with GatsbyJS integration, etc, but these issues are being fixed and improved upon very quickly. A minor gripe, but Contentful does not have a way to organize fields within an entry. Entries with many fields are somewhat tiresome to scroll through.,10,I spend less time maintaining websites, and my clients spend less time worrying about their site crashing or being hacked (i.e. WordPress). Contentful has allowed me to be much more flexible with the types of frontend technologies I can use.,WordPress, Squarespace, Wix and Weebly,WordPress, Wix, Weebly, Squarespace,Developer,10-100 pagesQuick and Easy Content UpdatesContentful is the back end to our website, we use it to make changes, improvements, and updates on our content. We have used other website CMS services to edit content, all of which are not as intuitive as Contentful, so we were really glad our website developer provided us with this software for on-going changes. From updating photos to written content, Contently keeps track of everything. For example, should you need to revert any changes, you can just pick and choose which version to return to and publish.,Keeps a history of changes made to the content Easy image usage Folder organization,Preview of changes prior to publishing The ability to use a spell check plug-in when working on content (it doesn't work well with Grammarly),7,Positive: faster changes and new associates can easily navigate without prior training/knowledge of CMS to make content updates Negative: Our website manager/provider can keep certain abilities (like changing specific images) so they can charge a fee for making the change,WordPress and Squarespace,RealPage Portfolio Asset Management, Adobe Acrobat DC, Constant Contact,Content Author / Administrator,1-10 pagesSlow is smooth, smooth is fast. Takes a little time to get it set up, but speeds up processes once it isContentful is being used by several different departments to scale our building of web pages and store our content library. Before we had Contentful we had a backlog of development work and it would take hours for a web page to be designed and coded up. Now it takes a couple of minutes and everything fits neatly into the templates that we designed.,Full control of the design and functionality Easy to use Content management,Requires dev resources to get the most out of it,9,It speed up our content creation process We've freed up dev and design resources for more important projects Given freedom to people to create new pages, while keeping some control so they wouldn't make serious mistakes,WordPress, Squarespace and Wix,Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugins, SEMRush, Agency Analytics,Content Author / Administrator,100-1,000 pagesAn instant to start, a couple of days to master!We use contentful to load content into iOS and Android apps via Angular and Cordova applications to pull down cloud articles and content. We leverage this for apps that have over 10,000 downloads and have versioned many different entries as well as content types as the apps progress, and even supporting internationalized content for specific fields of specific articles and content types as well as media.,Version Control is outstanding Uploading media Adding and removing fields to content types Linked content types Verification and control of input entries,It would be nice to have some documentation for entry level coders Built in preview mechanisms for more than just entry fields,6,Instant data into your app Instant publication of data and also reversion to previous versions Support tens of thousands of simultaneous users with little effort,,Dropbox, Windows Azure, Bitbucket,Developer,10-100 pages
Contentful

Contentful Reviews

Contentful
Filter 4 vetted Contentful reviews and ratings

Andrew Folts profile photo
January 04, 2019

Review: "Contentful: Modern Content Infrastructure Built For the Future of Web Development"

• Clean, modern interface (not clunky and outdated, like WordPress)
  • High degree of flexibility (I can structure data any way my clients need)
  • Enables headless frontend (i.e. I can build any frontend I want without having to change my CMS)
  • Contentful uses "references" to allow you to build very modular content. If I have a "slider" content type, I can create a "slide" content type which references a "button" content type, and so forth. This works well, but I occasionally wish there was a better solution for one-off content, like a settings page. Currently, this is done for creating an entire content type called "settings" with a single entry. Not a big deal, but not ideal, either.
  • There are a few quirks with GatsbyJS integration, etc, but these issues are being fixed and improved upon very quickly.
  • A minor gripe, but Contentful does not have a way to organize fields within an entry. Entries with many fields are somewhat tiresome to scroll through.
Coming from WordPress, Contentful feels like content management as it should be. There's no clutter to get rid of, you can simply start building from scratch, and the end product is perfectly tailored to your or your clients needs.
Read Andrew Folts's full review
Nathaly Sierra profile photo
January 07, 2019

Contentful Review: "Quick and Easy Content Updates"

• Keeps a history of changes made to the content
  • Easy image usage
  • Folder organization
  • Preview of changes prior to publishing
  • The ability to use a spell check plug-in when working on content (it doesn't work well with Grammarly)
When I started working at FSR, marketing was utilizing another CMS which was very hard to navigate, when we switched to Contentful I really liked how intuitive it was compared to other CMS applications. The ease it gives you when it comes to shaping the mages in your online content in a simpler way is great. When making content updates it is very simple finding the portions where the text is placed in order to adjust it. Overall, a huge improvement from other CMS services we've used before.
Read Nathaly Sierra's full review
November 26, 2018

Contentful Review: "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Takes a little time to get it set up, but speeds up processes once it is"

• Full control of the design and functionality
  • Content management
  • Requires dev resources to get the most out of it
If you have a large amount of content that you want to store and categorize all of your content, then this is a great tool for you. Also if you want to speed up your time for page creation, this is a great resource for you. Just be sure that you have some dev help to get everything set up so that you can go full steam.
Darian Rawson profile photo
June 01, 2016

Contentful Review: "An instant to start, a couple of days to master!"

• Version Control is outstanding
  • Uploading media
  • Adding and removing fields to content types
  • Linked content types
  • Verification and control of input entries
  • It would be nice to have some documentation for entry level coders
  • Built in preview mechanisms for more than just entry fields
Contentful is perfectly suited to global apps running in the cloud that need to download the latest content, images, text or media, as well as support versions of the content, entries and entry types as apps grow. The massive benefit is also that you can reuse the content anywhere you want in any app or any facility you can imagine once it is in the system.
Read Darian Rawson's full review

Contentful Scorecard Summary

Role-based user permissions (3)
10.0
API (2)
Internationalization / multi-language (2)
6.0
WYSIWYG editor (3)
Code quality / cleanliness (3)
Admin section (3)
Page templates (3)
Library of website themes (1)
Mobile optimization / responsive design (1)
Publishing workflow (4)
Content taxonomy (3)
SEO support (2)
Bulk management (1)
Availability / breadth of extensions (1)

About Contentful