Vembu BDR Suite Reviews

Do you work for this company?

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Richard Voorheis profile photo
Testing of new product software is performed on a single VMWare Server. We use VEMBU to back up the 60+ VM's on that VMWare Server to an external Hard drive.
  • It reports test results via e-mail.
  • We can run reliable backups without bringing VSphere server down.
  • It organizes full and incremental back-ups coherently.
  • Upgrading to new versions is relatively labor-intensive.
  • VMs to be backed up sometimes fail due to a lack of ability to create a snapshot. Vembu should find a way to work around this issue.
  • Supporting external storage (cloud) could be easier to configure, use, and integrate into the back-up processes.
The stand-alone VSphere server backup is handled well. I have not attempted to implement it in a larger (multiple server) environment.
Read Richard Voorheis's full review
Lokman Hakim Mohamad Azli profile photo
September 05, 2019

I choose VembuBDR

We used VembuBDR to provide a managed backup service to our customers. It addresses data protection and great support.
  • There's a great support team available 24x7 even though you are not a paid user yet!
  • It covers most of the common applications, and it's easy to configure and install.
  • Attractive pricing.
  • Documentation.
Our biggest customer is a 500-user organization with more than 30 servers covering AD, Exchange, Applications, Web Portal and Databases. We never had any major problem.
Read Lokman Hakim Mohamad Azli's full review
Paolo Aglialoro profile photo
Vembu BDR is used across whole organization both for backups and replicas of VMs. It's being used thoroughly to implement a disaster recovery strategy. In two occasions it has already helped to recover from a disaster occurred.
  • Web interface, it's easy to configure and requires no proprietary client
  • Multiplatform approach
  • Postgres database and not usual Microsoft buggy bloatware
  • Outstanding customer support!!! A++++
  • Missing Linux file level recovery
  • Replicas section needs improvements (already debugging it with customer support) and new features: add of VM to existing replica and merge of two existing replicas.
  • The loss of the BDR VM itself means that in a total disaster scenario restore of the backupped VMs may be cumbersome or impossible: you should copy the strategy of veeam, which allows to import seamlessly an entire backup pool; this can be done, in my opinion, by also making a full postgres DB dump to the backup pool whenever a job completes.
  • Some parts of the web interface should be refined: e.g. the part for email notifications is not enough clear (difference for mails sent for every event and just unsuccessful ones); also, I required as a feature timestamps in 24H format (most of the world is NOT anglosaxon); some actions which are possible in the interface sort out NO EFFECT, like adding a VM to an existing replica, but are yet accepted by the interface; also backup pool section needs refinement, especially to add a new one and to manage existing ones.
  • It should be possible to instruct the software to take advantage of existing LACP network configurations, running parallel processes to speed up data transfer.
  • An improvement of speed of overall throughput would be greatly appreciated.
  • Possibility to backup/replicate BSD (e.g. OpenBSD, FreeBSD) and Solaris VMs
  • PROXMOX support is missing :(((((
Well suited: typical small business mainly windows VMs environment with some linux VMs too but without file level recovery needs, average budget situations

Less appropriate:
-file level recovery for Linux VMs because it does not allow [for this]
-backup/replica of*BSD and Solaris VMs which are currently not possible
-superfast RTO as the software is not particularly optimed for speed
Read Paolo Aglialoro's full review
Daniel Castro profile photo
Vembu BDR Suite is used as a backup/recovery, disaster recovery solution and can also be used for Hyper-V and ESXI VM replication and migration. There's an image-based backup client for Windows/Server and Mac, and a file-based backup client for Windows/Server, Mac, and Linux. No client needs to be installed on the hypervisors for backup - you can run the backups directly from the backup server.
  • Fast VM backups
  • Fast image backups
  • Fast file based backups
  • Easy restore options
  • Excellent support with minimal hassle
  • Excellent value
  • I would like image based backups for Linux and FreeBSD.
  • I would like the ability to directly restore an image backup to ESXI or more cross-platform restore options.
  • Managing storage by yourself (without support helping you out) can be tricky. I wish there were easier options to assign storage to users/backups, especially "after the fact."
  • Windows image-based backup needs to assign drive letters to partitions that don't usually have them (system reserved, etc.). There should be a way for the program to identify the drives by different means.
I really can't think of too many scenarios where I would not prefer to use Vembu. I guess I would never sell this to a client for them to set up themselves—it's not like Carbonite or some other backup solutions where the user pushes a magic play-mobile button and derp derp derp the cloud, but a technical person can manage this easily. There are cloud options, but I prefer to host the BDR servers to clients on my own resources, and I think technical folks can do this without involving the big data companies.
Read Daniel Castro's full review
Michael Pisto profile photo
I have been using other Backup Solutions but they really like their prices so I was looking for a different solution and I found it with Vembu. It fits my business model, my business needs, the backup works and can be exported out in a variety of forms and can perform bare metal restores. It fits my needs, it's easy to set up and the pricing is significantly cheaper than the "big guys". Look into it, I think you'll really appreciate and like it.
  • Backup
  • Restore
  • Alert
  • Export to the major VM file systems
  • Bare metal restores
  • Changing to a different server name or IP address is a bit cumbersome but works.
It's suited for any backup needs. It's highly scalable. It has a variety of backup methods—Image, VM, and Network backups. Can be used for desktops and servers. It's built for any size business really.
Read Michael Pisto's full review
Juan Gomez profile photo
We are a disaster and recovery business that uses this software for our small business clients and protects their data. It has worked tremendously in being able to protect small businesses on a nightly basis and even help them out when they had a minor OR major computer/server issue. Our IT support engineers have said that it is an extremely easy software to install and provide support.
  • IT does a great job at doing nightly backups and super easy job at going in and being able to restore a single file or folder (which ever is needed).
  • It has an extremely easy web interface that anyone who is a end user can learn and be able to restore their files.
  • It is extremely easy to install and whenever there are updates for Vembu BDR, it will be an update that takes less than a minute to install.
  • Only improvement I can think of is, compatibility issues to older operating systems. Have to make sure when new updates come out if you have an older machine... Make sure it still supports it.
It is well suited in a small business (of any kind), where you are looking for a simple solution in something you can keep local (or offsite) to protect your important data. A simple guide provided by Vembu, makes it super easy for you to learn the features and different types of backups you can create.
Read Juan Gomez's full review
Alessandro Gastaldello profile photo
Backup service and disaster recovery system.
  • Simple to install and setup.
  • The recovery procedure is easy and fast.
  • Good technical support team.
  • Translation on local languages.
Read Alessandro Gastaldello's full review
John DeMattia profile photo
Vembu BDR is used to backup our file server nightly and to replicate it to another site for redundancy.
  • Vembu BDR is easy to use with a simple, straight forward user interface.
  • Vembu support is outstanding, responsive, and quick, with great follow up.
  • The speed at which Vembu BDR works is very impressive with little resource requirements.
  • The Vembu BDR status emails are short and informative.
  • The price for the Vembu BDR functionality is a real bargain!
  • I am not aware of any short comings in the functionality of the Vembu BDR offering.
  • The Vembu BDR offering meets all our needs and more.
If you have a need to replicate many TBs of data or are yet to be able to recover a file, folder or volume level, Vembu BDR is a serious competitor. The price is low and the support is superior. If you don't need data backups or file server replication, then you don't need a Vembu BDR-like product.
Read John DeMattia's full review
June 19, 2019

Awesome Product

Across most of our customers. We use it as a great/reliable backup tool.
  • Easy interface which makes setting up/restoring backups easy.
  • Light weight and doesn't slow down the network.
  • Great customer support team who is quick to answer/resolve issues.
  • Vague failure messages make troubleshooting hard sometimes.
Well suited for small/medium businesses for nightly backups. Would rather use a more onsite utility for larger offices.
Currently, I use VembuBDR in my home lab, due to the free option providing a greater feature set than other free option. I am running the Vembu BDR on a Linux VM, and am using it to back up a series of VMs from a vSphere cluster to an external NAS over iscsi. This back up process is scheduled to run every few days, and seems to run pretty quickly on 99% of the configured VMs.
  • Linux installer and web UI: unlike some other options, a Linux installer can be acquired and provides an easy to use web UI.
  • Quick Support: support has been quick and helpful when needed.
  • Easy to configure: the backup process is easy to configure and can be done in 15 to 20 mins.
  • Logging: The Free version doesn't appear to provide any alternative to alerting/logging other than email. Syslog or something similar would be nice
  • Iscsi config: the process to use iscsi as a backup target requires configuration on the OS itself. Putting this and NFS configuration in the UI would be a plus
  • Self Signed Certs: the ability to create a CSR and load a certificate from an on-site CA using the UI.
For home labs or small businesses, Vembu seems very well suited. I feel that large orgs, or one focusing more on container-based systems, may find some issues. For an environment with little to no Windows or Active Directory, the Linux version is a nice option compared to something like Veeam, which requires Windows.
March 04, 2019

Vembu BDR Review

It is being used by the Systems team within our IT department to handle backups of our VMs in VMWare. We backup VMs from our headquarters and our collocated datacenter, and ship an offsite copy to our DR data center, all using the Vembu BDR Suite.
  • It's incredibly simple to get up and running. We provided credentials for our vCenter server, set up the storage where the backups would go, and that was it.
  • Doing a restore is just as simple as backing up. Within moments I was able to launch a new VM from a backup. I even launched it to a different data center from the one it had originated.
  • We have backups that store sensitive information, and Vembu BDR made it incredibly simple to encrypt our backups.
  • There's no active directory support, so I can't authenticate with my AD user.
I think it's an appropriate tool to use if you have a highly virtualized environment and are looking for a well-working, affordable solution to back up your VMs.
Hariesh Nair profile photo
We really had a tough time backing up virtual machine images. We were using traditional backup tools to do the job and it was a time-consuming job. Moreover, it was not a reliable solution. When we learned about Vembu BDR, we downloaded and evaluated it to its full potential. To our surprise, it was very easy to use, faster and reliable.

Vembu really helped us with automating virtual machine backups. It saves a lot of time and we have peace of mind. Vembu meets important fundamental needs of our organization.
  • The most important things is that it's very easy to configure and has faster deployment.
  • Very good compression ratio and backups are faster than traditional VM backup tools.
  • Forever incremental is another useful feature which will save storage space.
  • Mount image as volume is not working for Linux VMs, it would have been better with this feature working.
  • The web management console should be improved with detailed VM backup reports.
It's very useful and economical for small and medium based industries. It may not be appropriate for large industries with a higher number of VMs.
Read Hariesh Nair's full review
Jesse Brandt profile photo
We switched to Vembu BDR Suite to replace an aging Tape Backup system to perform on-site backups of all of our VM Hosts and VMs.
It has greatly improved the speed of recovery, and the time it takes to perform a backup is significantly faster than our previous solution.
This software has resolved our worries about moving away form Tape drives as a primary backup system.
  • Recovery time is very fast
  • Can set many recovery points down to 15-minute intervals
  • Schedule Rollups to improve storage
  • Easier to eliminate old storage locations
Very good at immediate VM recovery when compared to recovering from an image. File-level recovery is available as well or you can mount the backup as a directory.

The backup repositories could be named more appropriately, currently, they are numbers. I'd like to be able to browse right to them in the file system rather than navigate the Vembu software every time for a single file.
Read Jesse Brandt's full review
Jesse Furr profile photo
September 13, 2018

Vembu BDR Suite Review

It is used by the IT department to back up all of our server VMs. It addresses the business problems of disaster recovery and continuity.
  • User-friendly web UI
  • Ease of setting up a backup VM
  • Responsive customer service
  • Cryptic error messages that can be hard to troubleshoot
  • Licensing requirements can be difficult to understand
  • More information on what is fixed in releases would be helpful
Well-suited:
The Vembu BDR suite solution is simple and robust and is fairly easy to install and administer backups for a VMWare environment.
Dislike:
An earlier backup product had features to keep a backup on local disk but this feature is missing in the Vembu BDR Suite.
Read Jesse Furr's full review
Adrian Takacs profile photo
We are using the BDR Suite to backup multiple customer servers and workstations, all departments. So far we have experienced only workstation failures and the backups helped us restore the users’ data when rebuilding the workstation.
  • More reliable than any other backup solution
  • Amazing support from Vembu
  • Great price
  • Reporting can be better, I liked StoreGrid for reporting and some of that functionality is missing in BDR360.
  • When on backup reports graph mode, you can see the number of missed or failed backups but after clicking on the graph nothing happens. I would like to see the problem machines coming up.
  • Missing delete options for customers.
Backing up workstation is free.
Vembu support is amazing.
Read Adrian Takacs's full review
Vipin Thulaseedharan profile photo
August 31, 2018

Vembu Review

I used it just as a file backup application. It did not solve any problems, and instead created more.
  • None
  • The whole GUI interface needs a revamp. The reporting is terrible.
  • Push installation/adding clients to backup does not seem to effectively work.
  • I believe that there can be a lot of improvements done and they can base it out of existing backup softwares.
As per my personal experience, Vembu is effective only when the file server you're backing up is less than 500GB-- over this size, it tends to fail.
Read Vipin Thulaseedharan's full review
Edward Morando profile photo
I recently had to engage with Vembu’s remote support and engineering teams to assist with a complex data restoration. The support teams were professional and well informed and turned a dire situation into a successful restore. My experience with Vembu’s technical teams surpassed my expectations and I am very happy with the results.
  • Technical support
  • Support escalations
  • Engaging development and engineering teams to solve a problem.
  • I wish I was given the option of phone support at the time I entered my ticket.
The product I’m familiar with (StorGrid) is a solid solution for direct offsite backups.
Read Edward Morando's full review
Lesser Backup time and quick restoration. As a whole, a complete Disaster recovery package.
  • Faster Backup
  • Faster restoration
  • Storage management
  • Offsite Copy management feature
  • License check could be made offline
  • Option to choose the destination for Network Backup not available
It is very well designed and easier to start with. The UI is very simple yet powerful enough. I would recommend Vembu BDR for managing Windows and Vmware environments. There are a plethora of features available which is surprising. The option to encrypt your backups and scheduling email reports after every task(Successful/failed) is a great advantage.
Tom Evans profile photo
DataMirror is a specialist online backup service provider. Vembu BDR is being used across our organisation as a stable, reliable backup solution. We are also using it as the software platform which underpins our online backup service for all of our customers. It is being used to back up a mix of server and desktop machines. It is protecting files as well as backing up bare metal system images and SQL server instances. It ensures that our clients have 24/7 data protection.
  • Bare metal system images. These are incredibly flexible, enabling you to do dissimilar hardware restores, local or online backups and restore to VHD
  • Full, differential and transaction log backups for SQL server, ensuring rapid backup and restore, with maximum storage efficiency.
  • Incremental backups for files, meaning only the changes which have been made to a file are backed up, dramatically reducing time to backup and increasing storage efficiency.
  • I think the platform is very comprehensive. If one possible improvement might be made, it is the process of creating a bare metal restore image/recovery cd.
Vembu BDR is well suited to both simple and complex environments with a large or small number of systems to be backed up. If there are large numbers of machines to be backed up, it is simply possible to have a local backup server onsite and a replication server stored at a remote location.
Read Tom Evans's full review
Darrian Churchill profile photo
We use Vembu BDR Suite across our company as our server and data backup solution. Vembu BDR Suite addresses all of our disaster recovery needs.
  • Easy to manage backup and restore
  • Centralized management solution
  • Backup encryption
  • Good versioning of files
  • Web based layout can be tricky
  • Licensing portal is cumbersome
  • Backup alerts can be obnoxious
Vembu BDR Suite is suited to any medium to large organization requiring reliable backups. It is well suited to organizations with offsite hosted servers for disaster recovery and replication. There aren't really any scenarios I wouldn't recommend Vembu BDR Suite for.
Read Darrian Churchill's full review
Alex Oira profile photo
April 06, 2018

A flash of DRaaS

We are resellers as such, we support our clients. The BDR suite is used by one of our clients who specialize in healthcare services. The BDR is used across all departments of the organization. The client has 18 virtual machines being backed up to our datacentre. They are in a critical line of business as such the BDR suite addresses challenges of failure in case of a disaster.
  • Configuration is easy: Requires basic knowledge to set up and manage.
  • Easy restores: It supports up to six recovery options to users hence give freedom to chose what to recover.
  • CBT tracking: Reduces time taken to backup VMS.
  • Run on other OSes like centos.
  • Full tests before rolling out any newer versions.
  • Daily merges are not well explained. Very confusing.
  • Matching data on the BDR and offsite DR. Seems to be a disconnect from what I have worked with.
Suited for businesses with heavy reliance on virtual environments.
Read Alex Oira's full review
Bruce Redfern profile photo
March 09, 2018

Vembu so-so

We use the NetworkImage, ImageBackup, and VMBackup products associated with VembuBDR to backup our main production servers and Hyper-V hosts.
  • Scheduling backups
  • Backup pruning
  • Integration with Hyper-v
  • Stability. Our VMBackup product on Windows 2012 keeps crashing the Hyper-V Management Service and then failing.
  • Upgrade process. Going from 3.5 to 3.8 was paiiinful.
  • Support process. Getting support has often required many days of support personnel being continuous connected to our production server via TeamViewer.
I only know we've had issues in our usage scenario. I would recommend never upgrading the product - always remove the old and install new. The Hyper-V backup is stable on Windows 2016 but has issues on Windows 2012. We don't run it on 2012 R2.
Read Bruce Redfern's full review
Richard Costin profile photo
It is primarily used to backup Hyper V VMs.
  • Automating backups and retentions periods.
  • Notifications of failed backups.
  • Clear dashboard to view the status of backups.
  • Improve the process of restoring a backup. It is confusing to restore a VM the initial time.
Provides added functionality for Hyper V backups over Windows Server backup function.
Read Richard Costin's full review
Emil Heinemann profile photo
Our specific need was to have incremental backups over slow WAN links for desktops and servers. Vembu BDR was the only product that could achieve it securely, affordably and quickly. The VM Ware offering was just icing on the cake for us.
  • Incredibily efficient backups from remote sites.
  • Securely stored backups encrypted enabling multi-tenancy for us to serve our clients.
  • Reports emailed whenever any actions are taken on client data.
  • Include skipped files in reports.
It is the only product well designed for WAN use. The VMWare/HyperV could benefit from directly over the internet backup as the rest of Vembu BDR has already in place.
Read Emil Heinemann's full review
Vembu DBR is currently being used to back up our infrastructure against data and application/server loss. It falls into our business continuity plan.
  • The software is easy to deploy within your infrastructure and it doesn't run on top sophisticated software such as SQL which requires some knowledge to set up.
  • Restore process is also easy to do. With just a few clicks you may recover your data or VMs.
  • Back up Schedule is also easy to set up and manage and error messages are very straightforward and easy to understand.
  • Also doesn't require any SAN technology for storage your backups.
  • The reporting tools are also a pleasure to work with, you can get e-mails of detailed reports about backup jobs and schedules. The e-mail platform may be third-party e-mail such as Gmail or Yahoo, or robust as an Exchange server setup.
  • It also back up at the VM level and at the file level which makes for easy restore.
  • Also offer cloud and local backup for DRS plan or a simple backup.
  • Customer service, all their calls are encouraged to be down via chat or have them remote in and work with them. There is very little voice communication.
  • Vembu engineers also encourage customers to do tasks themselves.
  • They don't seem to take priority of service in mind. When you call stating a critical issue, you have to wait for a few minutes or hours before someone gets back to you.
Good for small business where you don't have a high SLA and enterprise level service

Universal recovery (23)
Live recovery (22)
Recovery verification (22)
Business application protection (18)
Multiple backup destinations (17)
Incremental backup identification (25)
Backup to the cloud (14)
Deduplication and file compression (18)
Snapshots (18)
Flexible deployment (24)
Management dashboard (25)
Platform support (25)
Retention options (22)
Encryption (20)

About Vembu BDR Suite

Vembu BDR Suite is a comprehensive universal backup solution catering to the backup, recovery and disaster recovery needs of diverse and heterogeneous IT environments. Through its flagship offering, Vembu can backup VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, Physical Servers, Workstations, Exchange Items, SharePoint Items, SQL Items, Office365, G Suite, etc. – and they can back that up on-site, off-site, or even to the cloud – not to mention that most of this is done within a single UI. Also, Vembu offers one of the most complete free edition for SMBs as well. Post 30 days trial version, user can either opt to purchase the product or continue using the free edition. In Free edition user has two options to proceed with backup configurations : Full featured free edition for limited VMs or Limited featured Edition for unlimited VMs

Vembu BDR Suite Competitors