I implement Appian as a BPM tool in one of our client organizations. Though they have bought enterprise license, It is being used in a particular department to automate the insurance underwriting processes.
- Social BPM: I don't find any other BPM tool in the market which can provide as much social BPM functionality as Appian does.
- Mobile Compatible: With 7.4 release, Appian has taken this tool to a completely different level. All forms are now by default tempo enabled which means accessible via mobile devices.
- Records: It gives the flexibility to fetch data from both process and external DB without designing any separate process model.
- Integration with External system: In the 7.4 release, call web service component gets improved and therefore it becomes very robust to integrate with any legacy system.
- Form UI: It improved a lot in 7.4, but still there is still a lot of scope for improvement.
- Report data should be auto refreshed on a page.
- Document management should provide document search feature.
- Tempo has still a long way to go. Lot of improvement is possible here.
- Better customer service
- Quick and Accurate invoice generation
- Reduced manual intervention
- Pegasystems,IBM Business Process Manager
Supporting mobile platform is the key for Appian.
I implement Appian for various clients
If the user is more interested in jazzy UI and look and feel of forms and dashboards, Appian is not recommended. If the user needs flexibility and seamless connectivity in their process in terms of approving task from anywhere, viewing reports on the go, Appian is best fit.