Great Accounting Construction Software
Marjie Maguire | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 16, 2019

Great Accounting Construction Software

Overall Satisfaction with Viewpoint Spectrum

Spectrum is mainly being used by our Accounting and Project Management departments to track all costs related to our jobs. We use a number of modules including Payroll, Accounts Payable/Receivable and Inventory. The Job Cost module does a great job of centralizing all this data into one place to see how our jobs are performing.
  • Great software for analyzing data and trends while still being pretty easy to use.
  • The ability to create a custom info link reports enable you to create virtually any report using the data you have in Spectrum that will auto-refresh with just one click of a button.
  • They have a fantastic support network and I the few times I have had to contact support, I was directed to someone very knowledgeable that was able to find a solution.
  • I wish there was a way to sort the canned Spectrum reports a bit easier. I am quite comfortable using info link, so it is easy for me to create a quick variation of the Spectrum reports, formatted the way I want it to look. But unless you have knowledge of info link, there is no way to easily rearrange Spectrum reports to show the data in the way you want it.
  • The Job Requisition screen needs a lot of work. It's very slow if inventory is entered using the wrong job number, the entire thing has to be deleted and re-entered using the correct job number. If an item is entered using the wrong item code, you have to delete the line and re-enter it.
  • I wish we had the ability to create new payment types. Something as simple as paying out jury duty is made more difficult than it needs to be because there is no "button" for it. Instead, we enter it as Sick and use a separate spreadsheet for tracking the actual sick time employees have remaining.
  • I have not had any experience with other construction accounting software but I would be hesitant to try anything else just for it's reporting capabilities alone.
  • Positive impact overall.
Honestly, they have one of the best support networks I have ever dealt with. They are growing so yes, there are new people, but you also deal with the same support reps that have been there for years! The employees really are knowledgeable and "get it". They also have a GREAT online network where you can post to discussion boards and browse topics for help support. I rarely have to call in anymore because there have been numerous times when I'll do a search of the discussion topics and find someone else who was also experiencing the same problem and see the solutions that other customers have come up with!
I can only comment on how it integrates with our Payroll collection system. We use PowerTrack in the field for time collection which integrates with Spectrum. It's nice that job/phases added in Spectrum are synced multiple times a day to PowerTrack, so there is no need to manually give employees access to phases and jobs anymore. This is a huge time saver.
Spectrum was already implemented when I started so I am unable to comment on the alternatives.
We are a mechanical subcontractor and it pretty much covers all of our needs with the exception of tracking and forecasting manpower. There are a lot of reports you are able to create using the data you enter into Spectrum, it's just knowing where to find it and how to use it to fit your needs.

Viewpoint Spectrum Feature Ratings