<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener noreferrer'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener noreferrer'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>Score 8.4 out of 100
Based on 58 reviews and ratings
Likelihood to Recommend
Datto is a fantastic option for smaller businesses who don't have as large of a budget. It might work well for larger businesses as well, but the features are not exactly on par with more prevalent backup solutions. So, that should be kept in mind while determining a good fit for a company. But if selling a backup solution is met with push back, this can be a great option to give a good working backup solution. It offers the main features solutions should have, so it's definitely not a compromise. Just keep in mind the features it does not offer.
- Simple agent setup for new machines to be protected. A new machine can be setup on the server in under a minute whether it be a Linux or Windows based machine.
- Local virtualization on the Datto is quick to start up. After a physical problem with a server I had the machine locally virtualized on the Datto before users had a chance to report service issues to me.
- Nothing to do on my end to get backups shifted to offsite data center. Schedules are setup for each machine or group of machines and I sleep well knowing all our backups are safely stored offsite.
- Initial backup sync: The downside to the cloud backup is that, if you have a lot of data, you need an external hard drive to seed to the cloud. And you usually have to request this after you've already got everything else working.
- Unsyncing: We have pretty decent bandwidth, but with 8TB of data, we'd get syncing issues with the cloud servers every 3 months or so. The only way to address it was to request another external drive and resync it, but that also meant losing the older data.
- Availability and support: Datto only operates through MSPs and VARs, and will not help you directly without putting in a ticket with your provider. This causes delays, and extra epenses, and if you grow beyond the need for an MSP, you have to keep them around for at least that piece.
Technician in Information TechnologyGovernment Administration Company, 51-200 employees
Likelihood to Renew
Based on 1 answer
Based on 1 answer
Usability is great. The web interface is simple and easy to use. While various options are available for client backups, it is very easy to re-use settings of the existing client, so adding new clients is a very fast process. Configuration of the agent on the client-side cannot be easier as well. Datto dashboard provides an overview of the client status, and email notifications can be configured for various events.
Professional in Information TechnologyPrimary/Secondary Education Company, 1001-5000 employees
Based on 12 answers
My specific example or reason for this rating goes back to a need for support after a client on this platform has a fire. In a nutshell, Datto had no idea how to BMR the image back to the server correctly, and as a result, the RAID on the server was lost, due to the Datto BDR environment not being able to see the RAID card, and the support technician knowing how to inject drivers.
ShadowProtect quality has decreased over the years and their price has increased. Datto is far superior in terms of UI, datacentre capabilities as well as confirmation of backup successes. Veeam offers these same features in a more complicated format but also lets you roll your own backup solution so we have chosen Veeam as our new standard.
Return on Investment
- We've saved some money by consolidating backups offsite to the one appliance and letting it store backups in one location offsite, rather than trying to maintain several different platforms or connections.
- Negatively, since the appliance doesn't expand in storage, we've got sunk costs into this unit and will have to move to something else to continue growing. I work in healthcare and we can't just purge charts and stop backing up information, I've got to expand my ability to back up that information.
C-Level Executive in Information TechnologyHospital & Health Care Company, 201-500 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?