Reviews (1-10 of 10)
October 13, 2019
Score 7 out of 10
We use Chargify as our billing platform. It manages all our customer subscriptions and facilitates payments via our payment merchant. A number of departments across the company use Chargify. The product department sets up and manages the Chargify integration with our application. Finance users Chargify to ensure customers have subscribed to the right plan and are charged correctly. Sales, customer support, and success use Chargify to view customer account information.
- Scales well as our customer base grows
- Good reporting and continues to improve
- Stable product - no downtime except for scheduled maintenance which rarely requires app downtime
- Needs to improve customer invoices. Currency customers who pay by credit card cannot be sent an invoice from Chargify, only a payment receipt. This means we have to manually generate invoices from our accounting system. Apparently this feature is coming, but we've been waiting for years.
- Reporting could be better. We need multiple Chargify sites because each site can only charge in one currency. Unfortunately, the Chargify reports can't consolidate the multiple site data. Therefore you need to run separate reports for each site. This has resulted in us having to use another SaaS tool for reporting.
- API could be improved. We use ChartMogul for our reporting due to limitations in Chargify's reporting. However, they have made the decision not to improve the integration due to continued technical issues with the Chargify API data. Other SaaS analytic tools have recently discontinued their integration with Chargify.
- Pricing - for the limitations mentioned above, the monthly subscription price is quite high.
Read Nikhil George's full review
If you are a small startup, likely to be charging only in one currency, then Chargify will likely be suitable for you, as it was for us when we first started. However, as you expand and need to charge in additional currencies and require good reporting, you might find Chargify becomes more cumbersome. You do get a very stable and reliable billing platform with Chargify. I can't recall any downtime dues to issues. In the last 5 years, there have been only been 2 times where the app was down, both for scheduled maintenance. The communication leading up to the downtime was excellent, the app was up and running well within the maintenance window and everything kept functioning smoothly afterward.
September 11, 2019
Score 8 out of 10
Chargify is used as our billing system. We have software that is licensed on a monthly basis so customers pay for the licenses monthly. We use Chargify to charge and track all of our billing information. It is used by the company and it addresses the need for a billing system that integrates with our platform.
- Billing - We've never had a problem with the billing not working.
- Dunning - The dunning system is easy to use and automatically handles the missed payments.
- Adjustments - It is easy to make adjustments to a customer's bill when needed.
- Reporting - It doesn't provide the reporting we need so I have to do it manually. It doesn't track individual components like we need it to for monthly reporting.
- Emails - The system's emails sometimes end up in junk mail, so I also follow up once a customer has missed 2 payment attempts.
- Transactions - An easier way to get to the transactions would be nice. It takes many clicks to see the transaction history.
Read Heather Robinette, MBA's full review
Chargify is well suited for companies who need to offer a reoccurring license fee. I see it more suited for smaller companies, but we don't have the enterprise version so I'm not sure what it entails. It may offer more, in which case would make sense for larger organizations. I believe it is a great fit for smaller companies who need a system that is user friendly and fairly easy to use.
We use Chargify for our recurring payments related to our subscription based services. Chargify has allowed us greater control and insight into how our recurring transactions are performing as well as allowed us to grow more rapidly. Prior to using Chargify, we were missing the ability to conduct dunning on missed payments.
Read Ammon McNeff's full review
Anyone who has subscription based billing would benefit from Chargify, so long as their numbers and revenue can support spending on the service. We have made back 5X what we have spent on Chargify's services - in the first 5 months alone.
June 06, 2018
Chargify is used for day to day transactions for our clients monthly, semi-annual, and annual payments to use our application. I use Chargify to monitor charges on clients' accounts for our records as well as being able to supply clients with any documentation that they need for their billing needs.
- Chargify has a great and easy to use interface with a good flow that is easy to navigate.
- They do a great job with the layout of their invoices. They're clean and easy to read.
- They easily list my products to make sure I'm properly lining up details with what my clients should be charged for.
- I'd like to see a more unique dashboard with analytics on the front end.
Read Eric Weiss's full review
I think Chargify works for managing your monthly incoming revenue among your clients. It's a great interface for providing easy to read and easy to manage data. I like the fact that the application isn't crammed to fill in every gap, nook, and nanny of the page. Chargify provides what you need, nothing overly obnoxious.
June 06, 2018
We use it to implement recurring billing for our cloud email sending service.
- Incredible reliability - we have literally never had a minute of downtime with Chargify in five years. This is astonishing.
- Simplicity - the API is relatively easy to use; we were able to get it set up without assistance. Comparatively, services like Zuora require a heavy enterprise consulting engagement to get set up.
- Their API documentation has holes; they could definitely do better here.
- They have quite weak client libraries and have outsourced this critical task to the open source community. That's a mistake. They should have their own client libraries, which they update regularly and ensure are working properly.
Read Ken "Blockchain" Simpson's full review
Anyone with a subscription-based service who needs a fairly comprehensive recurring billing system that they can get up and running quickly, and then basically never worry about again. Chargify is particularly well suited to applications with complex component billing (aka different product add-ons and things which are metered).
April 08, 2016
Score 7 out of 10
Chargify was used by our organization to create and manage subscriptions for all the products we developed. We needed an established and trusted API service because we provided specialty financial services to markets that were very new to our kind of business model, and required a much higher level of trust than typical consumer web applications.
- I found customer service and documentation to be particularly helpful. There were a couple of instances where we had confusion about or misconfiguration with our subscriptions, and customer service responded right away with clear answers. The documentation is clearly written and it's not difficult to get started using the API.
- APIs can be hard to get right, but I feel the Chargify API strikes the right balance between features and elegance.
- I have a long wish list of features. Some of them: I'd like to import data that can be anonymized. I'd like better implementation of charge features on the sandbox which don't require a working credit card. I wish we didn't have to always set up subscriptions and could just do a single charge. I wish we had a multiple-delete feature for subscriptions and customers. I wish we didn't have to pick a credit card processor (that's a big wish though - we picked Braintree).
- The dashboard can be really confusing, in part because it's so feature-rich, however, constructing custom products with a custom pricing set was kind of bewildering and I'm not sure we ever got it down quite right. Unfortunately, we did not have time to really test our configuration live, because it never got out of testing on our staging server. I will say that I'm really glad we never had to set up discounts for real, because that was even more confusing.
Read Shannon E. Wells-Mongiovi's full review
If you're setting up payments for a subscription plan, Chargify is a great choice. If you don't need subscriptions, i.e. if most of your customers won't be repeat business, then you may be better off just using a direct payment provider. The limits on the number of subscriptions caused us to quickly run out of subscriptions on our smaller, budget-conscious pricing plan, and deleting those subscriptions is tedious.
November 24, 2015
Score 9 out of 10
We use Chargify to handle all of the recurring credit card payments for our business. We previously used another service for recurring charges, but required a higher level of support and customer service, which Chargify was able to provide along with a robust product with a solid API.
- Chargify's API is solid and easy to use, including JSON and XML interfaces.
- Chargify's customer service is responsive and thorough; always making sure your needs as a customer are met.
- Chargify listens to its customer base and their suggestions for feature enhancements.
- Chargify's dashboard could use some additional reporting features.
- Chargify's pricing model is fair, but could be more competitive with similar services in the same market niche.
- Chargify's service is not well-tuned for one-time charges. It would be beneficial to most vendors if one API could handle both without requiring a workaround for one-time payments.
Read Vinnie Murdico's full review
Chargify is particularly well-suited for API integration and specifically for recurring charges. It's not as useful where one-time payments are often made.
November 09, 2015
Chargify allows us not to have to create and maintain a billing platform for our SAS product. We could have never created such an amazing system in house for the amount that we pay Chargify.
- Easy to use billing platform for a SAS company. Very intuitive.
- Store credit card information with PCI compliance.
- Automates our monthly billing.
- Great for monthly billing not good for itemized billing that can change month to month.
Read Daniel Jaffe's full review
Changify works great as a billing platform for any SAS service that bills monthly. It replaces a part time billing associate / bookkeeper.
November 09, 2015
Score 8 out of 10
We use Chargify to manage subscription billing for our suite of online property investment software. In addition we use the API/billing portal to manage customer access levels, upgrades/downgrades, card updates and cancellations. Our customers are billing on a monthly and yearly basis. We also use a trial period to allow customers to evaluate our software before being billed. We use add-ons for additional optional products.
- Supports multiple products and payment plans.
- Has a strong admin web user interface.
- Provides excellent technical support.
- More flexible coupons.
- Finer level of control over emails sent to customers.
- More options/control within the dunning process.
Read Ben Fry's full review
How many products do you need to support?
How many different pricing options do you need to support?
How many features do you need to be built in to a customer billing portal / self service area?
How much control do you need of statements and invoices?
June 04, 2014
I use Chargify for a SaaS company. I did a lot of research before choosing a vendor for this product because I wanted a solution that would scale and grow with us for years to come. After choosing Chargify, we couldn't be happier with our decision. Everyone we have worked with there has been top notch. Even the CEO, Lance, has been super responsive and helpful. He even helped us choose our payment gateway provider and we have been very pleased with them as well. Having this piece of the business figured out really made it easy to focus on other things and our launch was very smooth and everything has worked great.
Read Matthew Herrera's full review
We have had a great experience so far. They are a crucial vendor for us and we have not had any problems with them.
Chargify Scorecard Summary
Chargify offers Recurring Billing and Subscription Management. According to the vendor, Chargify Elastic Billing turns billing into a competitive edge for modern recurring revenue-based businesses that need to personalize and differentiate their offerings for the Relationship Economy.
Founded in 2009, Chargify has helped thousands of businesses manage millions of offers that drive billions in annual revenue. Chargify promises to remove billing bottlenecks and give front, corner, and back office teams the speed and flexibility to grow faster.
Categories: Subscription Management
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
- Has featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?Yes
- Entry-level set up fee?No
Chargify Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Chargify Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Mobile Web|