Review: "Greenhouse has too much process for a smaller company. Should not be used for under 100 employees"
- Greenhouse is a great tool for company wide use (referral programs, and sharing specific jobs on social media)
- Greenhouse is a great tool for companies that have a long recruiting process
- I don't believe that Greenhouse is a tool that is great for startups or companies under 100 people. We feel that greenhouse actually slowed our recruiting process down in that there are a lot of extra processes in place that are not relevant to smaller companies.
- Greenhouse is expensive, and there are basic functions that cost extra. For example if you want to categorize candidates that you might not be able to hire today, but may have a role in the future that is relevant- you would have to pay extra for a "CRM" for the ability to keep these candidates in the "candidate pool"
- Greenhouse's onboarding process was very difficult to navigate. It is like "self teach" and then feel free to ask questions.
- To get each candidate into greenhouse you have to save the resume, upload it, and then add various fields. So it is not a quick parse. There is an option to forward an email into greenhouse that has a resume attached to it but more often then not the parse does not work AND each job has its own email address. So if we are recruiting for 20 different jobs, I need to keep a list of emails to forward resumes to.
- You have to assign a job to each candidate. So if someone applies and is not relevant to a specific job there is no place for them in Greenhouse. This makes it challenging to collect resumes for a later date or compare resumes that we may have already collected to the ones 3rd party recruiters send in.
- From the candidate application side, Greenhouse is easy and fast - you can submit your application easily and quickly.
- It is very easy to make changes to jobs in Greenhouse - if you need to adjust language or add requirements, it's very easy to do and happens quickly.
- Greenhouse is very intuitive to use - easy to navigate and learn if you've never used it before.
- It is challenging to make changes to offers - even something like a start date change requires re-approval from all approvers.
- The reporting function was difficult to navigate and would time out prior to getting results.
- It would be great if greenhouse would alert you to other jobs the candidate has applied to and possible duplicate profiles.
- Clearly breaks down where job postings fit in the company's structure.
- Gives users a platform for referring potential job prospects and earning credit for these referrals.
- The user interface feels a bit dated and could do with a refresh with some improved browsing abilities.
- It is easy to see all the positions we are hiring for in one spot.
- It allows you to share the jobs easily on social media.
- It is simple and easy to use, you really cannot get confused using this platform.
- The platform is not very intuitive, seems outdated and not fresh.
- The positions that are being offered, will sometimes lag. For example, you will see a position that we are hiring for, then you to view it and it will not be there. You will have to keep refreshing it until the position shows.
- It could have more features and capabilities, overall a simple system. Log people in and see them in the system.
- Reporting. I'm so thankful for Greenhouse's ability to pull reports so that I can provide Hiring Managers and Senior Leaders with context.
- Integrations. A company like ours has quite a few tools that we work with. It's important to ensure we can integrate so that resumes automatically flow to the Greenhouse tool.
- Configurations are extremely useful and easy to set up. Email templates are particularly helpful so that you can have an established email tee'd up but personalize it as well.
- There are so many bugs in Greenhouse's system and getting them resolved tends to be difficult. It's really problematic when a calendar invitation is removed and cannot sync up with our Gmail system.
- Greenhouse scorecards are pretty cumbersome. I wish interviews could also add a question that isn't in the scorecard in case they think of something during the conversation.
- Greenhouse's support isn't spectacular. I'm assuming Enterprise clients have a better experience, but I've run into issues where they're not even reading my email and send me back responses that are sub-par.
Support staff at Greenhouse are super knowledgable and efficient!
We also export candidate profiles to Greenhouse from Entelo after sourcing them via email.
- Easy flow-through application review in each job
- Easy to manage offer and export via DocuSign
- Interview feedback scorecards are easy to structure
- Not very good at uploading resumes in the correct format via FilePicker
- When trying to parse resume from PDF, only scrapes some / wrong information
- Is not intuitive for new hiring managers to navigate through
- Easy to post jobs on various websites and keep our careers page up to date.
- Good reminders to keep each application process moving.
- Scheduling feature is great to work with and makes interview scheduling simple.
- We've had some issues with email integration that were cumbersome to fix.
- Some of the processes for moving candidates through the pipeline can be confusing, especially when several people are working on the same pipeline.
- Search functionality is a bit bungled. It can be difficult to surface a particular group of candidates with filter naming being a bit confusing.
I am a manager and I'm typically part of the interview process, but I have to be invited to every single position. The website isn't always user friendly, maybe it's due to user error, but I wish it was easier to navigate.
- I like that I can see all candidates who have applied to a certain position
- I love that I get reminders every morning when I have an interview
- I also like that I can see how long a position has been open and how many candidates have applied.
- I wish I could compare candidates side by side. It's frustrating to have to open 2 websites or flip back and forth
- I previously had more suggestions but can't think of any right now so I may add to this review later
- For each job post, hiring teams can create scorecards that are specific and clear so that throughout the entire recruitment processes, candidates can be assessed more accurately.
- You can customize communications for candidates throughout the entire recruitment process so that they have the best possible experience, even if they aren't selected for the position.
- Greenhouse has the capability for you to flag a candidate that you want to follow up with in the future. When the follow-up date arrives, you receive a notification so you don't need to remind yourself in your own work calendar, Greenhouse takes care of it for you.
- A more robust interview calendar would be very helpful.
- Reporting - In my role, I need to be able to diagnose where the breakdowns are in recruiting, and the system’s many canned reports help me do that. While Greenhouse doesn’t have the ability to let you build custom reports, there are enough reports available that I don’t have to do that. It’s also been very useful for me to get weekly recruitment reports from the system so I can see activity from a high level. All this lets me keep my finger on the pulse of hiring, and report effectively to the business where we are with progress to plan, while at the same time advising on trends I’m seeing and actions we may want to take.
- Interview Kits/Scorecards - Another great feature of the system. Getting everyone on the same sheet of music has been invaluable. Once all scorecards are input then the manager can see all of the feedback and make a decision. As I’ve mentioned, centralization is important to us and having all the feedback in one place makes it easy on recruiter and manager alike. And the interview kits are a great way to set everyone up for success, because they can be customized so that the whole interview panel takes the same approach, or each interviewer can be tasked with a specific question set. And it’s all so intuitive and easy to use. Several of our senior executives have set the standard for user engagement with Greenhouse!
- User experience - This was one very key area for us. We believe that recruiters are partners to managers, and for them to want to engage on that level, we needed a system that was user-friendly. And Greenhouse is definitely user-friendly. We have a high level of engagement here which has helped to further our goal of creating a culture of recruitment here.
- Reporting Customization - Although there are many canned reports that cover a variety of areas, I still have to export multiple reports in order to build a report which tells the story I’m trying to tell.
- User Access Customization - I understand this is something on their product roadmap. It would be great for them to get more granular in terms of access-level functionality.
Review: "Greenhouse doesn't have the strongest analytics, but fairs very well when stacked against competitors."
- Clean UI; easy to use in comparison to other applicant tracking systems out there.
- Updating job information and interview plans is simple.
- Thoughtfully put together; Greenhouse allows us to manage candidates and prospects well so we can run with candidates that are ready to interview but can also keep prospects warm until they are ready to interview.
- Tracking/reporting -- hard to pull the information we need. Hard to pull complex data to inform overall strategy decisions. Instead, we lean on integrations like Tableau, etc.
- Greenhouse has many capabilities such as bulk emailing, AI to help notice if there is an applicant that would be similar to another resume in the database and lastly the ease of moving candidates quickly through the hiring process.
- Getting updates on when Greenhouse is experiencing technical issues or malfunctions.
- Lastly, not worrying about sifting through resumes manually.
- Constant problems when it comes to working through Outlook.
- In approval sections, some of the key items that we add in during a job opening up disappear in the tab later on.
- Keeps track of all applications and candidates
- Keeps all information in one place - job description, application materials, status, interviewing schedule, feedback, and scorecard. Very helpful for team efforts on recruiting!
- Keeps track of your referrals and where they are in the process
- I honestly love Greenhouse - I have no major complaints at this time! It's been super helpful all around.
- Ease of creating links for referrals to be tied to you. There is a spot where you can create individual links for positions that you can post on your social media pages. Then if anyone clicks that link it is tied to the employees' name from then on. It's easy to track for referral bonuses
- I really enjoy the scorecard section. It's a place where you can list individual strengths or weaknesses of the candidate you are interviewing and the data is congregated should there be additional interviewers. It's great to see it all in one place.
- The interface is really easy to use. It looks neat and clean and handles a lot of our needs.
- The support team needs some help. They are quick to respond but sometimes don't provide a satisfying answer or they won't implement a new change. It's frustrating since we pay for the tool, but overall it's still a really great tool.
- While the interface looks and feels great, it changes a lot. I would say it changes every few weeks and they move stuff around so you have to relearn the site. It still works great, but it's frustrating at times to figure out exactly where things have been moved to.
- It would be nice if they had a better training system to really show you how to use a lot of their functionality. There are things that we find out about that would have been helpful to know but are already implemented in the system.
- Easy to navigate: the setup for stages of which candidates are at makes it easy for everyone with access to see notes and progress of that candidate.
- Streamlined: able to follow which candidate is a great fit and able to move candidate profile for different role/location.
- There are no cons at the moment.
- Clearly being able to see where an applicant is in the interview process
- Visibility into applicants for a positions
- Isolation of candidates info to relevant teams.
- Notifications are something that greenhouse could do better with - it would be nice to give users some control over how much they want to be notified about.
- Ratings are a bit confusing as it does not bring all the evaluators at the same starting point.
- Allow users to use some structure for grading.
It's so easy to use and a great way to involve the whole company in the recruitment process. We used to use a simple database for housing candidates but not only does Greenhouse house candidates, it tracks candidates like no other system. Literally everything can be done through one system which reduces the need to use several browsers and tabs to set up interviews, collect feedback, etc. I love the custom scorecards and interview plans for each role and the user interface is amazing.
- Greenhouse allows you to create individual scorecards and interview plans for different roles.
- It tracks the application any way you choose.
- You can set up all interviews through Greenhouse.
- You have to remember to convert candidates to prospects if you reject a candidate or close a role. I'd like to see this work differently so it's easier to search old candidates.
- Automation of communication throughout the organization.
- Real time data and metrics available to keep all parties informed of where things stand.
- New features being added regularly that creates confusion by non hr/technical users.
- Data visualization in key areas to show vs. tell is needed.
- Customer Service
- Ease of use and implementation
- Customization options
- There are a couple of functionality pieces we'd like to see including auto time-out and seeing resumes without having to click into candidate details, but those are minor.
- User focused - very intuitive to use, both for recruiters and Hiring Managers
- Customised workflow for every job - allows us to tailor that to each department/roles needs
- Straightforward implementation - was up and running with the tool very quickly
- Excellent customer support - queries answered almost immediately through a live chat function built into every page.
- Improved integration with jobboards/mass posting tools
Greenhouse Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Greenhouse aims to help make hiring your competitive advantage. According to the vendor, thousands of successful companies use the Greenhouse platform’s intelligent guidance to design and automate all aspects of hiring throughout their organizations to win top talent.
Much more than an ATS, only Greenhouse delivers a robust software platform that helps you build a winning hiring culture by driving great candidate interactions at every touch point and keeping everyone on the hiring team engaged and on the same page. With Greenhouse, hiring finally becomes a strategic lever in the business, automating away administrative burden and keeping you ahead. Proactive, data-driven insights help you shorten time-to-hire today and continue getting better over time.
The product supports 2,000+ people teams. According to the vendor, Greenhouse is chosen by more "best places to work" winners than any other software system, and offering an ecosystem of 150+ technology partners all tightly integrated into the Greenhouse platform.
Greenhouse Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||25%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||50%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||25%|
Greenhouse Support Options
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Greenhouse Technical Details
|Supported Languages: ||English|