The Oil and Gas Industry StructureThe oil and gas industry is a complex one, most often broken down into upstream, midstream and downstream operations.
- The upstream industry finds and produces crude oil and natural gas and is sometimes known as the exploration and production (E&P) sector.
- The midstream industry processes, stores, markets and transports commodities such as crude oil, natural gas, natural gas liquids and provides the vital link between petroleum producing areas and the population centers The midstream industry includes transmission pipeline companies
- The downstream industry includes oil refineries, petrochemical plants, petroleum products distributors, retail outlets and natural gas distribution companies.
Oil and Gas Software MarketSome software vendors are focused on providing software to streamline and automate processes in one of the three sub-vertical markets. However, large enterprise vendors provide software that helps manage the entire supply chain from exploration to distribution. Enterprise oil and gas solutions are really vertical-specific ERP systems with highly specific industry features, fully integrated with standard business capabilities such as marketing, accounting and HR.
Oil and Gas Software CapabilitiesKey oil and gas software capabilities include:
- Land Management: A central data store for managing lease acquisition, lease management, Right of Way issues, etc.
- Field Operations: End to end production management and access to field data.
- Transportation and Storage: Streamline capacity and throughput with pipeline and crude management
- Accounting: Reporting on volumetric, cost and revenue across the supply chain
- Supply and Distribution: Streamline acquisition and delivery processes to manage supply and demand.
- Energy Marketing: Simplify marketing operations with built in marketing capabilities
- Mobility: Due the remote field locations, the ability to work in the field with mobile devices can be paramount
geoSCOUT geological data analysis platform comes with preloaded data and can analyze geological data from other sources, from geoLOGIC systems in Calgary.
Petrel E&P, from Schlumberger, is a modular suite of applications designed to support exploratory geological study and geological modeling, with features such as data visualization, and other model building tools.
Aspen Technology headquartered in Bedford offers AspenONE Engineering to refineries as a software design aid, emphasizing process optimization and cost control.
Surfer is a data visualization suite from Golden Software in Colorado for oil and gas companies, or other entities in other industries requiring geological or environmental data.
GEOVIA Surpac from Dassault Systemes is a geology and mine planning application featuring 3D modeling and graphics and workflow automation.
LMKR in Dubai offers GeoGraphix, a suite of applications supporting research activities for oil and gas like mapping and petrophysical modeling and well planning.
Rocscience offers RS2, an engineering application for the oil and gas industries that build models of rock and soil, steady-state finite element groundwater seepage analysis, and other analyses.
Paradigm is an oil and gas oriented exploration and seismic analytics platform, now owned and supported by Emerson since the 2018 acquisition.
Geosoft in Toronto offers Oasis montaj, a mapping and geological data analysis tool for subsurfaces and ocean floors.
Bentley Systems offers gINT, a set of applications that generate and present subsurface data for mining and other purposes.
OSIsoft headquartered in San Leandro offers the PI System, a data integration and analytics platform designed to support plant and utilities with operational intelligence and analytics.
Flowtrac is an inventory management software offering from Flowtrac. It includes features such as asset tracking and inventory managment.
French company Beicip-Franlab offers DionisosFlow, software trained on reducing the risk inherent in geological exploration through reconstruction of facies architecture, and so supporting exploration decisions.
Terrasciences in Littleton offers Terrastation and its associated modules which perform analyses from multiple kinds of data relevant to geological science and exploration.
GM-SYS supports surveyers efforts with gravity and magnetic modelling. It's offered by Geosoft in Toronto.
TomoPlus is offered by GeoTomo to generate near surface velocity models, or other models useful in generating near-surface models and accurate information.
Drakewell in Oklahoma City offers asset tracking and management software for oil and gas, notably MWD, their flagship product featuring asset and repair tracking.
Irish company Skynet Labs offers Drill Formula Sheets to perform drilling unit conversions and capture well data in real time. Drill Formula Sheets is offered free.
Lynx Information Systems in London offers LEASSV (Lynx Exploration Archivist Seismic Scanning and Vectorising), which as the name might suggest is a tool for exploring seismic imagery.
LEAMAP from Lynx Information Systems (Lynx Exploration Archivist Map Scanning and Vectorising) is an application that converts seismic maps in hard copy to digital data.
Rockware in Golden, Colorado offers RockWorks, an application to generate geological 2D and 3D models or perform other descriptive analyses for oil, gas, mining, and other industries that rely upon geological modeling.
French company ProSim offers ProSimPlus, a process engineering software application for oil and gas companies for system design or process optimization in existing plants.
GDS Ware in Houston offers their Asset Management software solution to oil and gas companies, for minimizing loss and ensuring optimal operational functioning and reducing OPEX.
Australian company Maptek offers Vulcan, their 3D modeling software for mine planning and survey, that basically transforms data into 3D models.
EKT Interactive in Houston, Texas offers online training modules for oil and gas to accelerate onboarding of new employees.