Oil and Gas Software
What is Oil and Gas Software?
Oil and Gas Software is a large umbrella category that includes exploration, extraction, engineering, production, and asset management. These activities are supported by individual software tools, many of which are available as modules in Oil and Gas Management Software suites. Oil and Gas Software is used by producers, pipeline, plant, and field operations, and by their scientists, engineers, operations staff, and management.
Oil and Gas Software can be broken down into the following sub-categories.
Exploration software identifies and evaluates resource deposits; their size and accessibility and helps determine whether extraction will be feasible. These tools classify extraction-related hazards and risks. The software integrates with geology, seismic, simulation, and modeling software to design the best approaches for resource extraction and production.
Geology and seismic software evaluate the potential seismic risks associated with the planned extraction of oil and gas deposits and continue to monitor that risk during the extraction process. This helps to prevent accidents and the disruption of operations, as extraction activities can trigger seismic events.
Simulation and modeling software ascertains the extent and viability of deposits, extraction, and production efforts. These models depict the resource reservoirs, potential equipment utilization, and environmental impacts. These tools contribute to informed decision-making, risk assessment, and safety measures.
Engineering software determines how best to exploit resource deposits, creating the most effective extraction and product strategies, considering both profitability and safety concerns. This software is used by reservoir, drilling, and production engineers.
Production software manages extraction operations, with the goal of optimizing resource utilization and profitability. It supports multiple deposit types, extraction methods, and locations. The software facilitates compliance with health, safety, and environmental regulations.
Oil and gas asset management software tracks resources and equipment across multiple sites. Managers, field technicians, and maintenance staff use this software to monitor operations, optimize resource utilization and enhance productivity.
Oil and gas project management software supports the complex operational needs of the oil and gas industry. It tracks milestones for exploration and production, optimizing resources for capital investments, supporting expansion into new markets, and helping to manage project risk. This software is used by project managers to plan, schedule, and monitor activities.
Oil and gas training software offers specialized training for oil and gas operations, focusing on worker safety and education, optimizing the potential of resources and equipment. This helps ensure the safety of workers, minimizes disruptions due to equipment misuse, and increases productivity.
Oil and Gas back-office software is tailored for the specialized accounting and land records management needs of the oil and gas industry. The software manages exploration, extraction, and production costs, tracks revenue from deposits, monitors asset depreciation, and supports reporting for regulatory compliance.
Oil and Gas Software Features
- Help evaluate oil and gas deposits
- Assess deposit potential
- Help determine the costs and feasibility of resource extraction and production
- Capture and record geoscience surface and subsurface data
- Assist with well planning, drilling, and testing
- Capture geologic and seismic data
- Manage and evaluate geologic samples from deposits and wells
- Create 2D and 3D models
- Produce customizable resource reserve maps, documenting their quantity and quality
- Estimate extraction risks for fracking, onshore, and offshore locations
- Reporting to support licensing and compliance requirements
- Capture data from exploration, geology, and seismic tools
- Create customizable models for exploration, reserves, and extraction
- Model resource characteristics
- Evaluate production and safety risks
- Support multiple simulations for evaluation and comparison
- Create simulations based on best industry practices and processes
- Analytics and reporting
- Capture data from exploration, geology, and production tools
- Analytical templates for geophysical and environmental data
- Extraction and production workflow scenarios
- Data visualization for mapping, geologic information, and deposits
- Analytics for reservoir capacity and quality, rock and fluid characteristics, extraction, and production forecasts
- Exchange information with simulation and modeling, engineering, and asset management tools
- Capture, record, and visualize production data for wells and operations over multiple locations
- Production and resource planning
- Monitor operations and outages due to maintenance, accidents, and natural events
- Assess operational efficiency, asset utilization, well performance, and employee productivity
- Manage environmental, health, and safety regulatory compliance
- Analytics and reporting for production costs, volume, and forecasting
- Categorize and record assets and equipment
- Manage resource inventory, parts, and materials
- Schedule asset utilization
- Track resource usage, availability, and location
- Schedule assets for installation, maintenance, or repair
- Document asset-related safety measures and procedures
- Analytics and reporting for utilization, productivity, compliance, and taxes
- Integration with tools
- Custom project templates for exploration, production, infrastructure, capital investments
- Access for internal, external stakeholders in multiple projects
- Plan, schedule, and monitor activities and resources
- Estimate and track project risks
- Analytics and reporting
- Integration with oil and gas back-office software for project costs
- Integration with oil and gas asset management software for installations and maintenance
- Designed for oil and gas industry-specific subject matter
- Flexible and readily updateable training modules that can quickly reflect industry changes
- Access to detailed technical materials
- Map job roles to training requirements
- Competency testing and certificate management
- Training supported on multiple platforms
- Integrations with and
- Track sales and revenue, operating costs, and capital investments
- Lease and land management document templates
- Support multiple asset depreciation methods
- Generate field invoices, payment processing
- Contractor, supplier, and customer contract management
- Regulatory and tax reporting
- Analytics for sales, profitability, and costs
- Capture information from oil and gas asset management and production tools
- Integration with , and
Oil and Gas Software Comparison
When purchasing oil and gas software consider the following.
Use Case: Oil and Gas Software covers a wide range of industry tools. Vendors offer robust software tools dedicated to specific industry activities such as exploration, extraction, production, and asset management. Oil and gas management software suites offer many of these tools in an integrated or modular fashion. Determine which approach best addresses your requirements.
Oil and gas operations are large-scale enterprises that encompass many activities. Obtaining a vendor price quote based on your specific needs is the best way to understand the costs. Entry-level pricing for individual tools ranges from $1,000 to over $6,000.
Frequently Asked Questions
Vendors will provide price quotes based on your requirements. Stand-alone tools begin around $1,000 and range to $10,000 and more.