Google Voice is a free IP telephony service that provides users with one phone number that can be forwarded to multiple phones or devices. It includes features such as call forwarding, voicemail translation, text messaging, and voice calls. Fees may apply for international calling.Google Voice - Better than Skype but not for all businessesI use Google Voice (GV) for myself and have set it up for clients. I use my GV phone number as my business phone. I call out/in with it for client calls. The business problems it addresses include having a free solution, one that is web/phone based so it travels with me whether I am working out of my home office or on the road. It also provides voicemail, not to mention an additional phone number I can use for logging in to platforms, etc.,What GV does well is provide a free and complete phone service for any business. I like that it is a Google Service so it is integrated with countless other Google Services I use on a daily basis. I have multiple GV phone numbers as contact numbers on multiple websites I developed and managed myself. Being able to search phone numbers for vanity alpha-numeric numbers is not just good branding, but it offers yet another free service that can be used for each site/project in a myriad of ways.,Lag. No matter how fast the Internet connection, there is always about a half second, or more, of lag. I forget the term, but GV lacks the two-way connection of regular land lines and mobile phones. For example, you need to wait for someone to finish speaking before you do; otherwise, your voice will not transmit to them, over theirs. It is akin to using a walkie-talkie in that you have to wait. I alert anyone I speak with of this, so we can patiently communicate, but it would be ideal if it were two-way, as I mentioned. Drops. I am sure this is an Internet issue, not GV, but with even an instant drop in Internet, the call is dropped.,8,My personal ROI has been excellent but as I said, GV is not for every business. I plan to stick with it as the GV number is associated with my business, so I plan to stick it out, and hope some or all of my recommendations eventually come to fruition.,SkypeVery Helpful in Team Cooperation During AcquisitionWe use Google Voice to collaborate between departments. With offices all over the Eastern and Southern United States, it is important that we are able to work together, especially as over the years many new employees are being on-boarded with all of the new acquisitions being made. Voice has made it easier to keep in contact as we adjust or help others adjust to the new environment under our parent company.,Ease of doing business - makes working together synchronously easier Ease of contact - makes it simple to get in touch with each other rather than worry about having to set up conference calls User-friendly - not much of a learning curve, from those who were using Skype or the like before,Better audio quality - sometimes things cut out short, or go quiet Customized or personalized ID/ phone numbers that match closer to the department/ business numbers,8,Saves time during acquisition and adjustment periods Helps keep projects moving in a timely fashion Builds teams virtually,Skype for Business,Skype for Business, Cisco Jasper, Facebook for Business,100,5,Team Collaboration Team On-Boarding Easier Long-Distance Communication,Impromptu meetings with remote workers/offices Ease of getting advice from a writer who is more familiar with the coverage a client is requesting,We could possibly use it to directly contact brokers or their insureds to save time on waiting for information,7,Yes,Price Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation Prior Experience with the Product Vendor Reputation,We probably would have just gone with Google Voice to begin with, but at the time Skype seemed the most popular,Implemented in-house,Remembering to use GV rather than Skype,9,9,No,In one of our newer offices, they were able to help some of our older staff get set up. Rather than getting impatient with the members who needed help, they were very compassionate towards them, understanding that they had limited experience.,Adding another person to the conversation Calling between departments,Managing Conference calls (more on our end than Google's),Yes, but I don't use it,8Great voice call serviceGoogle voice is used for long distance calls that save a lot of money and at the same time it offered a great call without interference or voice lag. This service provides a free number or a owned number which you can purchase and facilitates the ease of communication between a customer and the representative.,Great for landline calls or mobile numbers It has its own system for messaging You can store unlimited amount of contacts without any cost With the owned number, you can have access to caller ID,Sometime it lags when the call mailbox is full Some messages bounce back when writing more than 250 characters No access to buy other number with the same account,9,Save on big landline or mobile bills Smooth communication with customer Multitasking service that can be productive when attending customers,Grasshopper,Grasshopper, GoToMeeting, GoToMyPCGreat for Small, Remote TeamsGoogle Voice is being used across the organization. It allows us to maintain control of business related phone numbers, have employees forward to personal cell phones, but maintain control of the actual customer facing phone number if the employee leaves.,Voice to text on voicemail messages is awesome. Not 100% accurate (mostly based on quality of the incoming call), but very good. Receiving voicemail messages to email works great. Ability to manage via web portal works great.,The portal is effective, but is very "Google". Could potentially up he enterprise portal game.,10,Google Voice has been great for our business. The pricing is very attractive, so easy to justify and provides solid return on the investment.,Skype for Business,Slack, HubSpot Sales, LinkedIn Sales NavigatorGoogle voice is the free choice for your voicemailIt transcribes my voice mails and makes them digitally accessible. It makes it so I can pick up my phone line from a number of different phones easing landline/mobile switches.,Ringing multiple phones Online texts Transcribing voice mails,Messages do not always forward to Hangouts seamlessly. Transcription of voicemails could be improved. Switching phones mid-call could be improved.,10,Ease-of-use 0 cost. Not complicated to set up.,,Google Drive, Google Hangouts, Chrome DevTools
Google Voice

Google Voice Reviews

Google Voice
Top Rated Award
Filter 113 vetted Google Voice reviews and ratings
Jerry Janes profile photo
November 18, 2018

Review: "Google Voice - Better than Skype but not for all businesses"

• What GV does well is provide a free and complete phone service for any business. I like that it is a Google Service so it is integrated with countless other Google Services I use on a daily basis.
  • I have multiple GV phone numbers as contact numbers on multiple websites I developed and managed myself. Being able to search phone numbers for vanity alpha-numeric numbers is not just good branding, but it offers yet another free service that can be used for each site/project in a myriad of ways.
  • Lag. No matter how fast the Internet connection, there is always about a half second, or more, of lag.
  • I forget the term, but GV lacks the two-way connection of regular land lines and mobile phones. For example, you need to wait for someone to finish speaking before you do; otherwise, your voice will not transmit to them, over theirs. It is akin to using a walkie-talkie in that you have to wait. I alert anyone I speak with of this, so we can patiently communicate, but it would be ideal if it were two-way, as I mentioned.
  • Drops. I am sure this is an Internet issue, not GV, but with even an instant drop in Internet, the call is dropped.
I gave GV an 8/10 only for the reasons I cited as issues, which could hurt a business instead of help it. I do not think most people would have my patience, or what I ask of clients, so with these caveats, it is what you pay for - a free voice service.
Read Jerry Janes's full review
Reita Silvis profile photo
July 14, 2018

Google Voice Review: "Very Helpful in Team Cooperation During Acquisition"

• Ease of doing business - makes working together synchronously easier
  • Ease of contact - makes it simple to get in touch with each other rather than worry about having to set up conference calls
  • User-friendly - not much of a learning curve, from those who were using Skype or the like before
  • Better audio quality - sometimes things cut out short, or go quiet
  • Customized or personalized ID/ phone numbers that match closer to the department/ business numbers
It works particularly well for one-on-one collaborations, but not as well for group projects. When for example, you work with the VP of IT on implementing a new solution for the department, it's great, but when you talk to her entire team, it can be convoluted as everyone is trying to put in their two cents.
Read Reita Silvis's full review
Horacio Carcamo profile photo
July 14, 2018

Google Voice Review: "Great voice call service"

• Great for landline calls or mobile numbers
  • It has its own system for messaging
  • You can store unlimited amount of contacts without any cost
  • With the owned number, you can have access to caller ID
  • Sometime it lags when the call mailbox is full
  • Some messages bounce back when writing more than 250 characters
  • No access to buy other number with the same account
Coming from Google, this is a great app and service that they offer, I cannot complain about it. The main feature I recommend others to use is the voice calling feature, because is a smooth and straight communication compared to other competitors. Going through your call logs may help to determine your daily goals.
Read Horacio Carcamo's full review
Tom Wondra profile photo
July 13, 2018

Google Voice Review: "Great for Small, Remote Teams"

• Voice to text on voicemail messages is awesome. Not 100% accurate (mostly based on quality of the incoming call), but very good.
  • Receiving voicemail messages to email works great.
  • Ability to manage via web portal works great.
  • The portal is effective, but is very "Google". Could potentially up he enterprise portal game.
Works great if you want a consistent outwardly facing phone number, but want the ability to have it direct to various phones. Works very well for remote workforces.
Read Tom Wondra's full review
Christopher Regan profile photo
October 22, 2018

Review: "Google voice is the free choice for your voicemail"

• Ringing multiple phones
  • Online texts
  • Transcribing voice mails
  • Messages do not always forward to Hangouts seamlessly.
  • Transcription of voicemails could be improved.
  • Switching phones mid-call could be improved.
Using a Google Voice number as a work line that can ring your cell phone and landline is spectacular.
Read Christopher Regan's full review
Lucas Heart profile photo
October 18, 2018

Review: "Google Voice - a robust tool for text and voice communications"

My company does not use Google Voice; however, I have loved Google Voice for personal use. A single number that rings to multiple devices and locations means I can manage my communications no matter where I am.
  • Single phone number - rings to multiple communications
  • Free text messages (uses data)
  • Rich search history - every text message is saved and searchable
  • Google recently updated the Google Voice app for iOS, and it works much better.
  • The Chrome extension doesn't integrate with Hangouts (or if it does, the integration is confusing).
Desktop texting - there's so much value in the ability to use a keyboard to type text messages. Integration with Chrome is also excellent.
Read Lucas Heart's full review
Lauren T. Masino profile photo
October 18, 2018

Google Voice Review: "Terrific tool for online teachers"

Google Voice is used in my organization to provide teachers with a free and easy-to-manage phone number so that we do not have to give out our personal cell #. It is not required, but highly encouraged. Many instructors across the organization use Google Voice. The business problems it addresses include privacy, accountability, ease of use for calling and texting, as well as the ability to call and text from a web-based platform as well as a physical phone.
  • Cost (free)
  • Great integration with other Google products (ex. Gmail)
  • User friendly
  • The new layout is hard to use. I still prefer the Legacy Google Voice option.
  • Once your business claims your account, you cannot get it back.
  • Search feature could be improved
Google Voice is wonderful for online teachers who do not wish to share their personal cell phone numbers. It would not be suited for businesses with high call volume.
Read Lauren T. Masino's full review
Rachel Russell profile photo
July 14, 2018

Review: "Google Voice- Innovative and for the time savers!"

Google voice allows us to easily check messages as with the awesome features of transcribed voicemail! A great way to combine all company calls into one voicemail. Helpful when using the conference call feature as well. You can really streamline any business by claiming a local number to have clients call freeing up your personal device information. You can use Wifi to make calls which helps in the situation if you have little to no service.
  • Recording of incoming calls for notes purposes.
  • You can use this to make international calls via wifi if you are traveling for business out of the country.
  • There are many servicecs that Google Voice has including transcribed voicemail, conference calling, and separate voicemails for different incoming numbers.
  • Dropped calls if Wifi connection is weak
  • Google to non google numbers limit character texts
  • Only incoming calls may be recorded.
I would recommend Google Voice because it integrates with all of your google suite apps. It allows small business owners to really add the benefit of a dedicated line directly for their business. This ensure that you can separate personal and business calls at all times. Google is a great benefit as a secondary number.
Read Rachel Russell's full review
August 10, 2018

Google Voice Review: "Business phone line without the hassle and cost!"

I use Google Voice as an alternative to a second phone line for my business. I love that it provides me and my clients with an experience that feels like a traditional phone line, not a VOIP. It also is cost effective, as there is no monthly plan or phone payment required. It allows me to use my own phone for both business and personal calls and texts with the added privacy of another phone number.
  • Allows my clients to contact me while protecting my privacy
  • Is cost effective and keeps my overhead low
  • Let me call and text in a similar way to a traditional phone plan
  • Not HIPAA compliant; stores all my clients' data in the G Suite Cloud.
  • Occasionally does not forward calls, voicemails, or text messages as it should, leading to missed connections with clients
Google Voice is a great way to have a business phone line without the cost and hassle of a second phone/payment. It is well suited for companies with moderate call volume, but may be less well suited for businesses that receive a high volume of phone calls. It is also great for businesses that use text messaging often.
May 25, 2018

Review: "Google Voice is an easy and cost friendly app to replace your current provider"

As a staffing agency our recruiters and people managers use Google Voice as the primary tool to reach our employees on assignment, or to contact potential candidates. It allows to keep a clear and easy communication via text or calls to our employees using a phone number that allows to screen calls before picking up, and has a great Voicemail organization system.
  • It keeps a record of all communications made to each number
  • Allows us to receive notification via email, text message or call.
  • It is fully integrated with Gmail and makes it easy to work in a common user interface
  • Most of our company are iPhone users, and the app works great but it does not let the iPhone make calls via Google Voice unless you are inside the app, some improvement with the iPhone integration would be helpful
  • The voice-to-text tool integrated to the Voicemail usually sends intelligible messages with the reception of the notification emails for new Voicemails. The good part is that it also attaches the audio to verify the messages
  • Even thought the international calling works perfectly, they should improve on the international text messaging, it usually doesn't allow us to send messages to numbers outside the US, even with credit on the account.
It is suited to use as a professional phone number, to work abroad and have a US local phone line, be able to receive and make phone calls directly from and to your cellphone or computer even when you are not in the US.
July 13, 2018

Google Voice Review: "Great for small or new businesses"

I wanted to streamline customers to a phone line and voicemail that was NOT my personal line. Google Voice allowed me to have a separate phone number and voicemail and only use ONE phone device.
  • Call Forwarding
  • Visual Voicemail
  • Accessibility on multiple platforms
  • Ability to disguise or change the into when a call comes in.
Google voice suits businesses starting off or businesses that will remain small scale. Once a company escalates and begins to grow I am not sure how google voice will function and meet all expectations.
Maeghyn Thornton profile photo
April 25, 2018

Review: "Google Voice: For the Constantly Moving"

I have used Google Voice in both my current role and in my past role. The ability to be able to forward calls to Google Voice and change where they ring has been fantastic. As a school with multiple campuses and summer closures, we have been able to forward phones and receive voicemails regardless of which campus we are located. The ability to forward voice messages has been amazing in being able to get it to the right person in a busy front office.
  • Forwarding
  • Tracking
  • Digital voice message in emails
  • Voice transcription
  • User friendliness
  • Ability to easily access voicemail changes
I think that Google Voice is perfect for someone who often changes working locations. The ability to have online messages and to forward the call to any number makes this the perfect platform for anyone who is on the move and working at different locations. If you are looking for a service that has good voice transcription, this would not be the service for you.
Read Maeghyn Thornton's full review
Ben Beck profile photo
April 16, 2018

Google Voice Review: "Great free solution for small business owners!"

I use Google Voice for my own consulting business needs, and also recommend it to clients and help them get set up on it. My clients that are online educators are the ones that have seen the best success with it. They are able to provide a phone number to their students without revealing their direct cell number.
  • Allows for anonymity. You can share a number with people that you're afraid may call you too much, without revealing your direct cell number.
  • The voice mail to text is great for when I'm in a meeting and can't/shouldn't be listening to my phone. A quick glance at the transcription is enough.
  • Great price - free!
  • Google changes features too frequently, often taking away important features. Used to be able to send bulk text messages, but I believe they've taken that feature away.
  • The user interface of their web admin portal isn't super intuitive. Not something your Grandma could do without help.
  • No others...
I would say Google Voice is best for most users. I'm sure there are some power user needs that it doesn't meet, though I'm not sure what those needs would be.
Read Ben Beck's full review
Robert Allen profile photo
March 30, 2017

Google Voice Review: "Speak Freely with Voice"

I use Google Voice to maintain 'local' numbers for various locations around the country. As my company goes where I go, and much of my business comes from referrals, we get clients coming in from all over the country. Google Voice allows me to maintain numbers from Florida, New York, and California without all the extra devices.
  • Google Voice makes SMS messaging extremely easy when paired with Google Hangouts.
  • Voice handles call forwarding with ease. Set it and forget it.
  • Voice offers some simple conditional logic to handle forwarding at various times of day or days of the week.
  • Voice transcribes voicemails and delivers them via SMS which saves me the hassle of ever checking voicemail.
  • Voice allows for easy vanity phone number selection! Just type in a word or number string and see your options! So convenient.
  • Voice seems like an unwanted appendage to the Google ecosystem, lacking much integration outside of Hangouts. When Google stated they would be refocusing Hangouts they were in essence threatening how I manage my phone system.
  • Voice has virtually no Gmail integration. I would love being able to have my incoming calls and transcribed voicemails show up in Gmail.
When I move to a new city the first thing I do is hop on Google Voice to choose a new phone number local to the area. Voice allows me to spend an hour picking and choosing a vanity number, which I can then transfer to my cell provider and move my old cell number to Voice. It's a lumpy process, but it's the only way to freely choose a new phone number and never lose an old number. For the rest of time, I will own these previous phone numbers, with no monthly fee. This allows me to keep using old business cards and not stress about updating all of my contact info everywhere while also being able to immediately take advantage of a new number. As someone who moves frequently, this is hugely helpful.
Read Robert Allen's full review
April 10, 2017

User Review: "Google Voice Is Awesome!"

Google Voice is being used by our executive assistant. It was a super easy setup and linking it to the Google account was a piece of cake as well! We've hooked it up to a cordless phone via a voice box and haven't had any problems since setting it up!
  • Setup
  • Voicemail
  • Online Portal
  • Make sure no one else can take your number; I had a scammer try to take my number and succeeded. Then I found a way to get it back.
It's well suited when you don't wanna pay for a phone service but still need a phone. We used it for our executive assistant to the chief executive officer and it worked out great. We got the phone we wanted and simply just hooked everything up. The EA even gets alerts on her phone for calls; there's a way to set that up.
Karrie Reno profile photo
February 28, 2014

Review: "Google Voice, Great tool to tie to your current cell phone to monitor and block calls, and many more features!"

I use Google Voice instead of using my personal cell phone. I don't pay anything to use Google Voice, unless I make outbound calls that is the cost. I can receive incoming calls at no fee. Less overhead is always better, but if I need to use a phone number to make outbound calls, the cost isn't outrageous and you can make outbound calls through the web. Suggest a good headset with microphone capabilities.
I also like to be able to block numbers if I receive unsolicited calls from other companies, like telemarketers and we all know we don't like unwanted calls!
  • Google Voice is great for screening calls and reading transcriptions of voicemails from my inbox. There are nice search functions that allow you to find a voicemail easily without having to listen to them all.
  • Call Blocking is also a useful feature. I use Google Voice when I do anything for my IT company, I occasionally will receive telemarketing calls trying to sell me their solutions, software, or calls I may or may not want that are business related. To use the blocking option, I can go to a web browser like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. If I miss a call I can always go to Google Voice website and login and I will see transcripts of voicemails . If I don't want calls from this number any longer, I can block that call by going to "more" and block from there. I can also go to history and block under "more" from there.
  • Forwarding SMS to Your Email. This also makes it possible to reply to messages through email. Google Voice will convert the message into text form so that your message is sent as a text.
  • Make an international call from the website: Some of my contacts are in other countries. So I like to occasionally use Google Voice for International Calls. (There is a cost to this, if using this feature you can pay online with your Visa card).
  • Making Conference Calls
  • Google Voice now allows you to set your account to "Do Not Disturb" for a predetermined length of time. During that time, calls to your Google number will go straight to voicemail.
  • I would like their transcripts to be more accurate, so their transcribers need to listen more clearly for the Transcription of Voicemails left.
  • I wish they would provide this to international locations so they can too use Google Voice, perhaps down the road they will
  • I would like to see outbound call feature be more sophisticated. To make phone calls outbound I believe you can only do that if you port your number over to Google Voice. I need to get more information on this to be sure.
What are the System requirements?
How does inbound and outbound calling work?
What are the fees in using Google Voice for every feature?
What are the limits to Google Voice if I were to port my phone number to Google Voice and is there phone support if I do port my number over?
Read Karrie Reno's full review
Brian Drake profile photo
February 18, 2014

Review: "Google Voice - Extremely effective for a mobile workforce"

Google Voice is the primary voicemail and call forwarding system I use to support mobile employees who use personal devices. Alternately they can answer the single business phone number on any phone they have at their disposal, office, mobile or even home. Everyone can have a separate professional number and always available voicemail system. We tailor responses to specific contacts to ensure a positive experience for new customers; returning customers as well as personal and internal workers.
  • The automatic voice to text translations are extremely poor; yet they still allow for you to get the 'gist' of the message content. This is very effective at allowing the user to prioritize which phone messages to respond to and how quickly to do so; but not effective enough to remove the need to listen to them. To get the actual content and extract real contact information you *must* listen to the voicemail. The translations have gotten slightly better over time but there are still regular 'WTF' moments when the translation is horribly wrong.
  • Without the native Voice app on a smartphone it is cumbersome, yet still possible to manage the voicemail through the email/text message that is sent. Using the app is highly recommended.
  • Additional features like the ability to embed a 'call me' button on a website is good for customer response. It is rarely used but nice to have. Unfortunately the widget is not customizable and thus may not look seamless with your web site design.
  • Being able to manage your voicemail like an email inbox is a major strength. Contact information can be quickly captured while at a full terminal as well as reviewing/organizing older messages.
  • The ability to have a 'local' phone number in different target markets is great for targeting a specific customer base. For instance you can have a phone number in a specific city. This makes the customer feel like they are supporting a local business; rather than some national company with a 1800 number.
  • The Voice to text translations are nearly always wrong. Sufficient to understand the 'gist' of a message but unable to accurately tell you the content
  • Voice is a slowly advancing product; it's obvious that it is not a priority application for Google. Be cognizant of the fact that it may be killed as a result.
  • If you have concerns about confidentiality of the messages you must understand that google parses the voicemails through their servers - extracting the content and more. It's highly likely that the content is saved in their servers indefinitely and is findable by official government requests and Google employees. This is *not* a secure system. For people wanting prints and photoshoots of their family it works wonderfully. For Lawyers who require confidentiality you should consider other options.
For the price - it's a stellar product. When you have a mobile workforce that wants and needs to carry only a single phone for both personal and business this is a stellar product. You can centralize the phone number for the business and have multiple people answering the line - even when they are not in the office.

Managing the voicemails in an online dashboard or mobile app also is a huge improvement over classic push-button controls and voice response systems.
Read Brian Drake's full review
Mitesh Sura profile photo
November 07, 2013

User Review: "Google Voice - from long time user"

• Call local US number for free.
  • Low international calling rates.
  • Good quality, all you need is WiFi or 3G.
  • It connects multiple devices at once. Instead of that it should try one device at time in the order user wants.
  • It should allow users to pick a name that users would like the recipients to see when calling from Google voice. Currently it displays a random name and recipients are not sure who is trying to call them.
It works well for US and CA, not sure how it will work outside of these regions.
Read Mitesh Sura's full review
April 14, 2015

Review: "Google Voice as a Text Vehicle for Lead Follow Up"

This application is being used in one department currently for customer outreach - texting specifically. We've noticed that with the trend toward SMS, some customers are more likely to respond to a reminder text than a reminder call or email.
  • Google Voice Web interface to manage customer responses
  • Switch phones without having to interrupt the call - customer calls that should be routed to CS can be mid-call
  • Tracking - we're able to keep track of CS interactions in a meaningful way
  • As always there are privacy concerns - even with a privacy policy in place data is being gathered by Google
  • Caller ID has been spotty in some cases
You would be well advised to think about the integrity of the data and how you are allowed to access customers given your industry's regulation as well as the law. I think that Google Voice is an excellent choice for personal use but I could see company use getting into a grey area for more stringent industries.

Hosted PBX (6)
Multi-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR) (4)
User templates (4)
Call reports (8)
Directory of employee names (5)
Answering rules (10)
Call recording (12)
Call park (2)
Call screening (13)
Message alerts (15)
Video conferencing (3)
Audio conferencing (7)
Mobile app for iOS (10)
Mobile app for Android (9)

About Google Voice