Google Voice

Google Voice Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Roberto Abreu | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use google voice personally when traveling abroad and have limited service or would not want to use data roaming fees I would route my calls to my Google Voice number. It is not used from an enterprise-level more of a personal choice. I find it very convenient since I am always traveling.
  • Easy user interface
  • Integrated very well across my Google products such as Gmail
  • Exceptional call forwarding
  • I would love to see Google Voice become an independent service provider. It only works well if there is a phone number attached from the major telecom companies. Since it is VOIP it should work with simple internet not reliant on mobile USA carriers.
  • Google Voice should be able to receive voice calls directly from the app as it once did using Hangouts. Now calls must get forwarded if I am traveling out of the country.
I receive a lot of unsolicited calls and Google Voice has great functionality where I can screen who is calling me and decide if I would like to speak to that person. The texting of messages is superb, I like this functionality better than Voice functions. One of the scenarios that are less appropriate is that when a call is coming in and the auto-forward mode is one if I have Google Voice or Gmail open on my computer I can hear both functions ringing, the phone number used to auto-forward and the Google Voice on my browser.
Google Voice is being used by our Sales department for calls all day long. The vice president of our company also uses Voice. It eliminates clients or potential clients from having my real cell phone number, which I like very much.
  • The app is amazing.
  • Texting is also very easy through the app.
  • It is basically having a second phone number and the voicemail connects to your regular phone number's voicemail.
  • I think Google Voice needs to make it easier to purchase international calls.
  • I think it would be great if the text messages would link to your phone messages. Not just on the app.
I absolutely love the Google Voice app. They have made it so easy to make calls and to receive calls. I also really like that I do not have to give my personal phone number out to all of my clients. One thing I think needs improvement is texting. I wish that it could link to the texts on my actual phone. Other than that, I really enjoy it.
Joshua Day | TrustRadius Reviewer
Every sales person has a Google Voice Number, even the Vice President of Marketing and Sales. We use the iPhone App, as well as the Google Chrome website. I even made a desktop app that I can open in a separate icon on my toolbar for ease of use. We use it daily and highly recommend it.
  • VOIP
  • Call Forwarding
  • Free Calls to US and Canada
  • Inexpensive calls to other international phone numbers
  • Texts and voicemails go to email and Google Voice app, they could go to my iPhone messaging and voicemail apps. Missed calls do show up in Phone app recent calls though.
  • Making it easier to purchase international calls. You have to add money in settings.
  • That's about it.
When you set up Google Voice, you pick from a list of numbers, and you can forward to other numbers such as your cell phone. This has helped me personally when I changed cell phone numbers since adopting this software, and I am very glad that I did because I was able to keep my Google Voice Number on my business cards and email signature while just simply redirecting the forwarding phone number to my new cell phone.
We have a call center to recruit participants for research studies. Google Voice not only allowed us to issue new phone numbers to our call staff, but they could use these Google Voice numbers on their own phones without needing to expose their phone number. There are also great voicemail features that will send a transcript of a voicemail to the users email address.
  • Grants additional phone number that can be used on an existing device
  • Voicemail transcription
  • Voicemail access from email or browser
  • Occasionally it can be difficult to manage two different phone lines on one device, and new users may have difficulty switching between them.
[Google Voice is] great if you have a workforce that needs to make calls for business purposes from their personal mobile device, while keeping their personal phone number private. If you have a large company with its own telecom system, it probably won't be necessary if employees already have their own landlines or separate work phones.
Google Voice is used daily across our company to follow up with clients or coordinate and review work across employees no matter our current location or connectivity. In other words, it helps us with our multinational teams and removes the necessity of being in front of a computer to work.
  • Calls on smartphones
  • Transcript of messages
  • Keep track of calls and SMS
  • Multiple numbers on single account
  • Multiple numbers on single smartphone
  • Remove empty messages
Google Voice is perfect when your employees need to travel overseas or when your clients are all over the world. It is not well suited when you have to have local numbers in different countries or when you need to communicate with official or corporate channels via SMS on your smartphone using your google voice number.
Google Voice is currently being used as a secondary phone system for our organization. It's my belief that for the inevitable outage, it is a good idea to keep a second voice service provider around for us in emergencies. Its use is limited to just a couple of users who needs voice service at all times.
  • SMS txt'ing
  • Voicemail Transcription
  • Easy to configure
  • Development has stalled
  • Lacks features
  • No room for negotiation on cost
  • Very hard to find a direct contact to work with
Google Voice should be the go-to option for home/personal usage. It's rock solid as a backup phone service or even primary. It does well with voicemail and sms txt'ing. For a business, its capabilities are behind the competition and it does not seem to be a priority for Google.
April 15, 2021

Hmmmm Yes and No

We tried [Google Voice] for our callers in our call center. It worked great, did everything we needed it to do. Was easy to use, had the typical features, such as transfer ability, holding, conferencing, connected quickly, no real complaints. There didn't seem to be any lagging when connecting to the other caller. It's easy to use and understand.
  • Connects quickly with no real lag time
  • Easy to use and implement
  • Compatible with my calendar
  • Only room for improvement is that it is pricier than others. Kind of expensive compared to their competitors. Not bad for an individual but when you have 50 callers it gets really pricy.
Google Voice is well suited for most businesses I would think on a daily level, but not for a call center type atmosphere. When you have 50 to 100 callers using it and will typical call center attendance issues, paying their per user fee doesn't make sense. If I were a sole proprietor or just a few employees I would use this program above all other and would highly recommend it. But I would not recommend for a call center.
Google Voice is used as a local phone number for customers in the US. It is mainly used by the sales department as a way to connect with customers in the US, so the customers can easily contact us. Google Voice is also used as a low cost solution for long distance calls.
  • Can call almost any phone in the world
  • Available in all of the user's devices (phone, tablet, computer)
  • Good connectivity
  • Transcribes voicemail
  • US phone number only, there is no solution for other countries
  • A little expensive for one user
  • Call rates are high for some of the countries
  • Not available in all of the countries
Google Voice is a good solution if you have a few US employees that need a local US phone the mostly use it for calls in the US. It is less appropriate is you're not located in the US or if your customers are not in the US.
We use Google Voice to communicate with our clients, keeping both text messages and voice calls in one location. We can also easily pass a number to another agent if someone is out for consistent coverage of requests from our clients. It also easily links up with our CRM/ticketing system for tracking purposes.
  • Well designed apps
  • Good call quality
  • Excellent price
  • Interface changes often
  • Some features (like voicemail transcript editing) missing in latest version
  • UI has unused space on desktop
Google Voice is great for quickly getting a work number going that's separate from your personal number, while still allowing you to use your current phone through forwarding of texts and phone calls, or by using the app. The enterprise features are great if you want to run a more complex phone system to redirect customer calls to specific departments.
I have been using Google Voice for 8 years now and use it to link my business number to my cell phone. I love that voicemails are text transcribed for easy viewing afterward.
  • Voicemail to text format
  • Forwards calls
  • Stable service
  • Maybe a new website layout, but I love the way it is now
  • More options for sharing and saving voicemails
  • Sync to google calendar option
If someone needs a new number, it is free and easy to get one with Google Voice and have calls and text auto forward to the number of your choice. There is a limit to how many minutes can be used with free version.
Kyle Moninger | TrustRadius Reviewer
We ran a trial of Google Voice to determine if it would be a good fit to replace our current telephone service. Our entire organization has an outdated phone service and the change would effect the entire university. However, only a sample of departments were chose to pilot the program and we were part of the group.
  • Internet Only Service
  • Competitive Cost
  • Simple to Use
  • Limited Functionality
  • Google Reliant
  • Lack of International Support
Google Voice is a unique service that operates through the internet rather than traditional cell towers. It can provide a seamless integration to your cell phone, and text messaging services. This integration may or may not be ideal depending on your organization and how you communicate. For us, we did not like the "texting" capabilities as it isn't part of our organization's communication protocol.
Ben Caplan | TrustRadius Reviewer
At our office, I'm using Google Voice as a second line on my existing smartphone so I can differentiate personal calls from work calls. As an insurance producer and office manager, I am responsible for fielding calls from customers, staff and insurance companies. With Google Voice, I'm able to have a sperate voicemail box, text message inbox, and phone number so I don't have to give out my personal number.
  • The separate phone number for work versus personal use.
  • Completely independent voicemail message and inbox.
  • The ability to answer calls and messages on the computer or mobile device.
  • An email version of the voicemail if one is left.
  • I think there is room to improve with regards to call forwarding.
  • I wish there were a concise way to know if the call was to your Google Voice number or your personal number before answering the call.
  • when I add a contact to my account on the web it doesn't seem to sync with my phone even though the same email address is logged in.
If you're in a work environment where you could benefit from a work phone, this is the tool for you. It allows you to have an independent phone number to be reached at, without the need to carry a second device. I believe this tool is invaluable for salespeople or professionals that interact with customers on a regular basis.
I like the support forums because of their powerful search features, but the Google-backed Support team is weak as it relies almost entirely on the forums. But in general, there haven't been many a situation when either the forum or a quick search on the internet didn't yield the answer we were searching for.
Allison Chaney | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Google voice so each employee has a dedicated number to use on marketing materials. It makes it easy to integrate with an existing phone, so there is no need for expensive equipment. It also allows us to have a professional number that can be kept separate from the personal numbers of each employee.
  • Free
  • Easily integrates with existing services.
  • Limited local numbers available.
  • Voice to text functionality isn't always accurate.
Google Voice is great for small businesses, to establish a dedicated phone number and a presence, without needing to use personal phones or invest in a lot of expensive equipment or phone plans.
I haven't had much luck getting questions answered about technical issues unless I am able to find something in the online support forums. There's no easy way to just reach out to GV for support.
JaCoby Marston, CPA | TrustRadius Reviewer
I love using Google Voice because it allows me to have a second phone number. Google Voice is great to have because instead of giving out my personal phone number on forms that I am filling out and to avoid the endless spam calls, I give out my Google Voice number. Google Voice is very cool because when someone calls your Google Voice Number, the call will come through your phone like normal calls. Also, you can close to have all of your calls go to voicemail and Google Voice will transcribe your voicemails so you can read them quickly and decided if you need to call the phone number back.
  • Its very affordable to use.
  • Do not have to give out your personal phone number ever again.
  • Would be nice for people to know if they are calling a Google Voice number.
  • Transcription could be improved.
Google Voice is great to use if you do not like giving out your personal phone number. Use your Google Voice number this way if you don't want to worry about getting a ton of spam calls on your private line. Having Google Voice is also handy because when voicemails are left, it will auto transcribe the phone call so that you can just read the voicemail instead of having to listen to it. Google Voice is not great to use if you do not want those that are calling you to know that you gave them a Google Voice Phone number to call, which might be urn off to some people.
Google Voice meets my needs in providing me with the ability to give out a phone number that is not my personal phone number. Plus, I know when it is a Google Voice call on my smartphone versus a personal call which is nice because it allows me to know how to answer the phone call.
Sam Shearin | TrustRadius Reviewer
Once Google started offering their voice products for enterprise I jumped on it as I had been using their personal version for years. Their GSuite add-on has the ability to work with both mobile devices and Polycom VVX 150 Obi Edition, 250 Obi, etc. Relatively limited hardware support but it maintains backward compatibility with previous Obihai ATA adapters and Deskphones such as the 1062 which is my personal favorite. Provisioning is only available in the Google admin console for the Polycom VVX X50 obi series phones, but this doesn't entirely limit you to just those devices. This was a simple way to offer employee's a work phone number that they can easily text and call to/from with external and internal contacts. Low-cost and offers a level of usage auditing and logs from within the GSuite admin console. There are some limitations with support, as it seems the company Google outsources to doesn't have all the documentation they need to help with issues like admin passwords on provisioned phones... but it is quite possible to get this set up and deployed successfully if you have a DIY attitude.
  • Simple Interface.
  • Fast deployment and integration with GSuite accounts.
  • Cross-Platform compatibility.
  • Classic Google Voice one number / multi-device simulations ring style.
  • Expanded device support in the GSuite admin portal, they could easily add-on support for legacy Obihai devices.
  • Admin controlled call-recording for compliance and record keeping.
  • Better documentation/support for Admins.
  • Ability to port-in numbers with a extension designated for the ported number. This would help streamline migration from other phone vendors, as it is now the port-in process rough because there is no way to automate the number assignment once the port is complete.
This would be a great choice for small business or a new company that doesn't have legacy hardware to migrate/provision. Google has a BYO device policy so it's up to you to source equipment, get it provisioned, and configure them on your network. Support is minimal, so if you're inexperienced with provisioning desk phones or configuring VLAN's, etc. this might be a challenge. Not a problem for an experienced administrator except for not being able to access the phone web interface after being provisioned... perhaps this is intentional on Google's part to increase security, but it creates a deployment headache for a large organization that requires the technician to manually input the network settings on each phone after provisioning. Google Voice really shines on the mobile side, as this is where the soft phone has matured over the years. With GSuite it creates a convenient option for an SMB to add-on phone service with the email provider they (may) already have with dead-simple integration and deployment. Service is reliable, so long as your Wi-Fi network is up to the QoS needs of VoIP, and if it's not there is an option to use your carrier's service in place of your Wi-Fi for incoming/outgoing calls and texts. Google also offers a basic automated attendant and call routing which is unavailable with the free version.
I give them a 6/10 because while they are well-intentioned and answer the phone if you have complex technical issues or questions they may not be able to help you. To be fair this may have just been my experience, but IMHO I think google should choose a new company for their tech support or start doing it themselves.
Anthony Zurica | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Voice is used by our whole organization. It has saved us tons of money on phone bills. We use it for all our communication. We also purchased great landline phones that work seamlessly with Google Voice. We are able to keep our local number and our clients never have a problem reaching us.
  • Its biggest strength is flexibility. Google Voice offers free text messaging, and when clients can't reach us on the phone, they can text us.
  • HD quality sound using Google Voice. It is invaluable when your clients can hear you.
  • Ease of use is huge, there was literally no learning curve with the software and we were up and running within minutes.
  • Maybe have better collaboration with phone makers, the landline options are limited.
  • It could incorporate some call forwarding options that are easier to use.
  • Auto attendant options would be nice.
Google Voice is very well suited to the small to medium sized business. I don't know if the infrastructure is great for a large organization, but then again, I am not a large organization so it very well may be. If you are looking to save money when starting a business then Google Voice is a no-brainer.
We haven't had to use support much in the 2 years we've had the product, but as with most things Google, it is very hard to get someone on the phone or chat to help you. Support mostly consists of community forums where other users help you with any issues.
Joshua Melder | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have used Google Voice for several years in order to have a single source of truth regarding all my connected phone numbers. Google Voice enables me and my organization to provide a single phone number in order to ring all phones that I have. This helps integrate my communications as well as the organizational communication with its customers. Furthermore, this enables end users to separate themselves from their work and to keep personal information private. In the end, I have enjoyed the functionality of Google Voice and the privacy that has been offered to me by the service!
  • Integrates all your phone numbers into one accessible platform (and phone number).
  • Transcribes your voicemails to text messages that can be read while the messages are being delivered.
  • Google Voice saves your voicemails online as well.
  • Call flows and extensions are limited
  • Google Voice relies heavily on wi-fi, therefore, the sound quality is not as vibrant as other competitors.
  • User support / customer service could be much better.
I think Google Voice is a great option for individuals / workers that need to be accessible via different phones / phone numbers. Voice integrates these necessities into one easy-to-access location. One does not have to worry about missing calls with Google Voice connected on each device. An added benefit is the ability to choose a phone number with a specific area code. This enables individuals to either create phone numbers from their home location or locations where they work. The final positive that I would like to mention is the easy integration within the other Google services. Regarding areas of improvement, Voice is unable to make emergency calls and multimedia messaging can sometimes feel a bit complicated.
One often has to dig relatively deep into user forums in order to find the appropriate support regarding performance issues. Overall, the end-user support is rather limited and pales in comparison to competitors of Google Voice. I would say, the community for those who use Google Voice is fantastic - and they often have helpful and insightful feedback for those who run into issues.
January 28, 2020

Google Voice Review

Ai Ashe | TrustRadius Reviewer
At my school, we cannot dial long-distance numbers with our classroom phone. So when parent contacts are not local, we are not able to call them from our classroom. We have to go to the library or the office to make such calls. I used Google Voice to call long distance numbers.
  • Good connection
  • Calling from within the Google Voice app on iOS or Android uses my cell minutes
  • No emergency calls
Helps preserve your anonymity. You can link your classroom or cell phone to it and the receiver will only see the number google assigned you,
The documentation online is very helpful.
September 27, 2019

Try Google Voice

Kaleb-John Loo | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Voice is useful when it is necessary to communicate with others and the only viable option at the moment is via the internet. Google Voice allows you to get in contact with those in your contact list without the need of your phone. This is very helpful when traveling as it allows for the use of local data rather than cellular networks. Because it also connects to your Google account, there is no further setup required and your contacts that you already use are already available.
  • Useful search functionality for voicemails and text.
  • Ability to forward texts and calls to existing phone number.
  • Very good call quality.
  • Some settings are not available in the latest version and you must access the legacy Google Voice to change them.
  • All area codes are not yet available.
  • Would be cool to have the ability to use mobile phone number as sender.
Google Voice is a useful feature in the Google suite which allows you to perform calls and texts with an internet connection. This is great in scenarios where you may not have a good cellular connection, but have access to an internet connection. Google Voice is also useful for keeping records of calls and texts due to its ability to search through texts and translate voicemails to text which then becomes searchable as well.
Google Voice has built-in support that is directly accessible within the application. The searchable help documentation provides information on the different features within Google Voice. There are also videos demonstrating how to use Google Voice, which are available on YouTube. Anything else can be found via a quick Google search.
My department uses Google Voice on a daily basis. We send texts and calls out to our employees to solicit their availability for jobs we have available. We have it set up on our work phones as well as on our computers so we can all see the same messages and whoever is available will respond. It allows for all of us to have visibility to see if a text was responded to, so that no texts go unnoticed or get answered twice by multiple people. It also allows us to keep all of our employee text correspondence in one place!
  • Easy accessibility
  • Available on computer and phone
  • There is a text limit (number gets shut down if too many texts go out)
  • No customer service support
Google Voice is well suited for a team that would like its employees to text/call one number. When an employee confirms for a shift, or is running late, everyone on my team sees it, but only one person needs to respond. It's very helpful to have that visibility, especially so that everyone on the team knows that texts/calls are being responded to. It can be an issue however when an employee wants to speak to someone directly on the team, and tries calling that number only to get someone else picking up. But usually, we just direct the employee to that specific person's direct phone line, as the Google Voice number is not the phone number associated with the phone.
They do not offer support unless you have the Business account for Google Voice under G Suite. This is tough, because Google doesn't really have a customer support team for this service, so when it gets shut down for a few hours, we have no choice but to wait it out. But this doesn't happen that often, which is great.
It is being used by our department, to communicate with our crew. It addresses the business problem of speed of communication, as people commonly take a much longer time to respond to emails than they do text messages, and our line of work commonly relies upon quick and efficient communication.
  • When you begin to send a message, and you put in that person's name, your whole prior conversation with them automatically fills in.
  • Enabled to have a large amount of saved contacts.
  • Once one selects a message, one is unable to mark that message as unread again.
  • There is no system for flagging messages to respond to them later, or as mentioned above, marking them as unread.
Google Events is well suited to providing a platform upon which multiple people can be logged on and work at once. It is ill suited in how one is not able to mark messages as unread, or flag them to respond to them later, since when many messages are coming and going at the same time, it is very easy for messages to slip between the cracks and never be responded to.
I have not been the employee who has interacted with the Google Voice support services, so I do not know.
Google Voice offers phone, text, and voicemail options for personal and company use. While some services may require you to link a paid phone line, there’s no cost to use Google Voice itself. I use Voice for my personal voicemail, but I also implemented it in my office to allow my whole team to have easy access to send and receive text messages through the same number. It’s affordable and efficient.
  • You can use Voice as a voicemail for both a Google line and any lines you may have purchased elsewhere. It has visual voicemail, which is great.
  • Google Voice allows you to send texts either on a phone or desktop.
  • It’s free! Whether you’re an individual or a member of an organization, that’s always a plus.
  • The biggest (and maybe only) weakness Google Voice has is that there’s a cap on how many texts you can send in a 24 hour period, but there’s no warning that you’re approaching your limit.
Google Voice is great for communicating with a relatively small number of individuals. There’s no mass texting ability and, if you do need to communicate with a large number of people on an individual basis, you will quickly max out your daily limit. If you want to text a large number of people, you’ll probably want to invest in a different service or create multiple Voice numbers. I have no qualms about Voice’s voicemail functionality, but phone calls will come at a cost unless you are using Voice as an intermediary for a paid line.
Google makes great products, but on the rare occasion that you have a problem, it’s virtually impossible to get in touch with anyone.
This product is great. We use it across the IT department to communicate with a co-worker without a business phone. Google Voice is used for privacy term and just for business communications.
  • Manage voice call and text message very well in the cloud.
  • A secure way to call a co-worker without using his personal phone number.
  • Sometimes you will need a good carrier coverage, otherwise, the calls won't enter or go out.
You can compare this to Skype for Business or using Google Hangouts, but we like Google Voice because of the features and easy way to communicate. Not all people have to have the Google Voice app for communication to work, people only call a phone number without depending on both having the same app.
Like always, Google's support is great.
September 28, 2019

Google Voice is great!

I use Google Voice today as the primary phone number for my business. Google Voice is a telephony service that provides call forwarding and voicemail services, voice and text messaging, as well as U.S. and international calling. I use the web and mobile app and have never had any issues. I love the option to send to voicemail or answer the call.
  • It's free!
  • Call forwarding.
  • Voice to text works well.
  • Not much I would change.
  • Free international calling.
I can't think of a negative point about Google Voice, there are just so many things it does right!
I have never had to call for support for Google Voice.
Lochan Kalicharan | TrustRadius Reviewer
This is typically used by a few departments when contacting other workers but can be used and has been used to reach other users throughout the organization. This is typically how one department will reach out to another department when needed or if email is not sufficient.
  • Clear calls are important and with google voice you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
  • Simple platform and easy to use even with new users we find there is little to no learning curve.
  • Fast and reliable when the matters are of an urgent nature.
  • Support is a little lacking and I have had a few small issues in the start that took a while to figure out
  • Multimedia messaging can be complicated such as linked images instead of embedded.
  • At the time we ported numbers there was a $20 fee
Many of our users rely on their mobile devices, especially when out in the field or in our other areas and this is where google voice shines for us. It allows all of the devices to be linked and calls made from any of them without any complications, and it will also work great with multiple numbers. Number consolidation is easy and this the number the person getting the call will see.
Support was not as involved as we would have liked but as mentioned we have not had many major issues that we could not resolve on our own. Many requests have ended up getting forwarded to our help desk and was usually resolved by an onsite technician that is employed by us.

Google Voice Scorecard Summary

Cloud PBX (5)
Hosted PBX (25)
Multi-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR) (26)
User templates (18)
Call reports (42)
Directory of employee names (24)
Call Management (5)
Answering rules (43)
Call recording (50)
Call park (22)
Call screening (58)
Message alerts (60)
VoIP system collaboration (4)
Video conferencing (20)
Audio conferencing (37)
Video screen sharing (13)
Instant messaging (26)
Mobile apps (2)
Mobile app for iOS (42)
Mobile app for Android (49)

What is Google Voice?

Google Voice provides smart voice calling to many compatible devices. Google Voice numbers work on smartphones and the web so you can place and receive calls from anywhere.

For companies with G Suite, Voice can be customized to fit the day-to-day workflow. Number assignment, porting, and billing are neatly consolidated in the G Suite Admin console. Google's powerful AI filters spam calls, transcribes voicemail automatically, and lets the user configure your PBX. Integrations with Hangouts Meet and Calendar, and focus on what's important.

With three plans, Google Voice is presented as scalable and instantly deployable — and globally — from anywhere.

Google Voice Video