EC2: Game changer
June 21, 2019
EC2: Game changer
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2)
We use Elastic Compute Cloud to run our production loads and for experimental and proof of concept work. It allows us to quickly scale and iterate through multiple generations of ideation as we work to solve critical business problems. Additionally, Elastic Cloud Compute allows us to deploy resources and restrict access in policies in an agile manner as we work with contractors and third parties.
- Quick and easy way to deploy resources based on business needs.
- Vast array of AMI to select based on project requirements.
- Allows for quick access control and scalability based on storage and compute needs.
- Pricing for resources can be expanded on more.
- IP allocation for virtual machines should be sticky even though they are not static.
- AMI pricing should be more under control.
- It's so easy to provision that sometimes we leave VMs on that we should power down.
- Allows us to quickly go to market with ideas with in hours to days of inception.
- Allows great flexibility in the types of images we can spin up.
- Azure Logic Apps, Azure DevOps (formerly VSTS), Microsoft Azure, Azure Cosmos DB and Azure Bot Service
All the services above can be built on a server vs using a service. It allows teams that have more breadth of development to dive deep into the implementation and tailor the performance based on the needs they have specifically. In addition, we can tear down failed experiments fairly quickly, while with some of these partners we are locked in after provisioning.
If they need anything in the cloud where they want to stand something up from the operating system up, Elastic Compute Cloud is a no brainer. With the versatility and speed to which you can create resources to suit your needs, there is no comparison. Elastic Block Storage, in addition to Elastic Compute Cloud, is a game changer for virtualization.