We used to use QuickBooks, but due to the number of transactions we processed, we were not able to have all of the data in a single file. NetSuite is being used across our entire organization so that all data for our entire group of non-profits can be managed from a single login per user (and each user can only see what we give them access to). Even for our smaller non-profits, we were not able to have more than one company in a single file as there were certain Balance Sheet accounts that could not be separated out by class.
- The ability to manage all of our member non-profits from a single login saves time and improves efficiency as we can share the same chart of accounts and overall setup across all companies.
- There are certain transaction types that cannot be imported directly into NetSuite, however, the majority can and again save our organizations a great deal of time as our billing has to be processed through industry-specific programs and being able to export from those programs and import into NetSuite is slick.
- Customization of the product is simple. You can rename fields in one spot to match your company jargon through the system, add custom fields yourself and reorder practically every screen to match any manual entry that is needed.
- I would like to see every type of transaction be able to be imported directly into NetSuite. Currently, for example, you can import bills but you can't import checks out of the box (although there is a third-party application available).
- Electronic signatures to print on checks/bill payments are not available from NetSuite. Again, there is a third party-application that makes this possible (but it is an additional expense versus being included in the product).
- There is a built-in approval process for Bills and Journals which is really nice, but it is not available for Checks therefore we process everything through Accounts Payable. Custom approval processes can be created, so it is probably possible for Checks... just not already in place.
- The ability to automate allocations has saved at least half a position for our organization... which means we are going to finally be able to get to some tasks that were not getting done or that were not getting done on a very timely basis.
We arranged a demo of every web-based accounting program we could find and NetSuite was by far the most user friendly to use, had the highest level of self-customization available and by far the most generous program for non-profits.
While some features require third-party applications, NetSuite has met all of our expectations. NetSuite has an outstanding discount program for non-profits and has made tools that are usually only available to large for-profits available to us. Beyond this, their employees donate pro-bono professional services on a quarterly basis to non-profits which is so nice as most non-profits usually have fewer staff available to help with setup and customization.