Redis Review
September 06, 2019

Redis Review

Overall Satisfaction with Redis

Redis is being used as a cache for real-time locations. It serves the last known location of users sharing their location with other users in real-time, thus being an essential part of our organization.
  • Storing geolocations - Redis has built-in geolocation storage capabilities, thus saving us the time of developing the logic ourselves.
  • Serving fast info for real-time apps - To anyone who works with real-time applications, fast information is the basis of good user experiences.
  • I think the documentation could improve. It's not always clear, especially for engineers that are new on Redis.
  • Redislabs admin interface could use a tune-up, maybe being more informative and with a better UI.
  • I think the main cons I see in Redis could be that it may be a bit too obscure to new users.
  • Redis improves the UX of our app by allowing us to show real-time geolocations instantly on user connections. Given that our app is a massive carpooling app, improving our UX allows us to be seen as more reliable and stable.
  • A faster server response to our app.
  • The built-in geolocation capabilities have saved us a lot of time on having to develop that logic into another database.
Redis high-speed database has allowed us to deliver a better user experience by letting us show last known locations instantly. The multi-platform support has been useful too because it has allowed us to implement it seamlessly across our platforms.
  • Price
  • Product Features
  • Product Usability
  • Product Reputation
In my experience, when someone talks about a fast and reliable cache database the first thing that comes to mind is Redis.
Faster execution time and app performance is the main feature that we look for when using Redis. Our organization has benefited from decrease response times and low overhead on requesting last known locations, allowing us to have a faster interface and better information for our users.
Redis is very useful for real-time scenarios where disposable recent information may be useful such as a location share app, mobile games or even a volatile chat. I must say, I haven't looked into Redis beyond these examples, so I couldn't recommend it for other use cases. The obvious less appropriate use would be for something such as a full database stack.

Redis Feature Ratings