Entrinsik Informer is a web-based Reporting and Business Intelligence (BI) application. It helps organizations transform real-time data into actionable information by delivering ad-hoc reporting, data analysis and interactive dashboards.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/nX/v6/JHQFTF3O54OS.jpegGreat low-cost Reporting Tool with Superb Support StaffAll departments are currently using Informer reporting to report on data, create saved lists for our ERP processes and to upload data to other database systems. Informer reports helps us to address data entry problems in our ERP system.,I love the mapping capabilities. Practically no more computed columns needed in Colleague. Calculated columns help to get the desired result you need. It is easy to use. Security set up is also straight forward,Functions are great, but knowing what fields you need in your report to populate the function with is difficult. I need to know what they are before I add the function. I actually listed the fields needed in the description of the function.,10,,10Entrinsik Informer ReviewEntrinsik Informer is used by Information Systems department, Finance Department and Human Resources. There are other departments across campus that have LIVE excel spreadsheets from Informer, but they do not have the access. It is has helped with many reports that are needed for the different areas across campus. I've created many reports from queries that are no longer possible with Colleague.,Entrinsik makes Informer easy to use. Informer Dashboards are easy to set up also. Maintenance is easy When creating reports, there is the ability to drag and drop,At this moment, I can't think of anything that can be improved. There are minor glitches that need to be fixed, but nothing major. I truly enjoying working with this product.,10,9,21,1,Student enrollment Course catalog listing IPEDS reporting Dashboards,Dashboards for real time "quick look" at data for student enrollment,We just purchased Dashboards, so I will be implementing that soon.,Yes,Price Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation,I wouldn't change anything,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was minimal,there were no significant issues,9,5,No,Yes! Holly is the BEST!! She knew exactly what I needed (sometimes before I even asked). She also knows her stuff when it comes to JavaScript and with Entrinsik Informer. I miss her not being in the support department anymore!,When making reports, the drag and drop feature in easy When exporting reports, there are multiple ways to export. For example: PDF, excel, .csv, save list, .txt, webpage, .xml,If a person does not the data, then creating a report would be difficult. Mapping can sometimes be tricky. You have to make sure that you get the key fields matched correctly,9Why Chapman depends on InformerInformer is being use by all departments at Chapman University on a daily basis. Informer provides accurate and timely reports, analyzing all aspects of an educational organization. Some departments need to incorporate data from other databases, and Informer seamlessly accesses that information and integrates that data with our enterprise database. When we have questions Entrinsik responds quickly. Informer is a great product, with a great organization.,We can always depend on Informer to provide both on-demand and daily scheduled reports when needed. Our users pretty much write their own reports: Informer makes it easy to create both simple and more complex reports.,One thing that some users miss (from Informer 3 functionality) is the ability of reports to provide two levels of subtotaling. One area that I would like to see improvement would be in better Javascript support and instruction, when creating calculated columns and functions.,9,9Entrinsik Informer reduces support and training while improving reporting and access to dataEntrinsik Informer is being used by all departments in our University to easily allow end users access to the data they need, as well as the ability to quickly develop and share custom reports. It serves as a bridge to expose our Datatel data in a MUCH friendlier manner than our previous reporting tools and has greatly reduced the amount of support we have to offer day-to-day users.,Very user-friendly for quick, one-off reports Very manageable and granular permission for granting access to only the data required Very easy to share reports and queries Minimal training and support required for quick user adpotation,Copying of permissions from group to group, when creating new groups at a low level is cumbersome for the admins The sharing and permissioning areas are the only difficult area to train users in, but it is complex,9,10Informed about Informer!Entrinsik Informer is a web-based reporting tool that connects to our Datatel (ellucian) Colleague database (Unidata). It is a transactional database that allows us to access live and real-time data. There are probably six departments using it at our organization. I am in the College Advancement department (alumni relations and fundraising). It utilizes a GUI user interface that makes it so much easier to write reports rather than having to write programming code. We have four staff in our department who are heavy users and about 15 staff who are running "self-service" reports (they can't change the files, fields, select statements, etc.). No matter who runs the reports, we can export to Excel, Adobe PDF, Saved lists, and other options. The most transformation feature was the ability to schedule reports to email to users. Now, my staff and I can send daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports that we used to have to remember to send previously!,Scheduling reports. We are able to easily schedule emails using many different recurring schedules. We are also able to email outside of our domain, so we can email to our volunteers who don't have an email from our institution. Export choices. We use Excel and PDF predominantly, but have been experimenting with XML. Drag and drop of columns. We are now able to move columns and rearrange easier than in previous versions. User level permissions. Our OIT department controls our permissions, but we are able to have two levels-one for my staff who are the report writers and another for the staff who are the end users of the reports.,Performance-I don't know if it is a problem with Informer or the database, but sometimes it can take up to 45 minutes to run a report and I have to schedule it. Search for email addresses- there is no way to search for a particular email in the scheduling section. So, when staff leave, I can't easily go find all the reports they were receiving. Data analytics-they have a tab called "analytics", but I don't really think that is a fair term to use. It produces really basic pie and bar charts. It can be a little misleading.,9,,10,Within my department, we probably have 19 active users. I think there are probably 20 other users across the rest of campus. So probably 40 (ish) out of 700 employees?,8,3,9
Windows, Linux, Mac
Entrinsik Informer

Entrinsik Informer Reviews

Entrinsik Informer
Filter 84 vetted Entrinsik Informer reviews and ratings
Marjorie Williams profile photo
November 04, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "Great low-cost Reporting Tool with Superb Support Staff"

• I love the mapping capabilities. Practically no more computed columns needed in Colleague.
  • Calculated columns help to get the desired result you need.
  • It is easy to use. Security set up is also straight forward
  • Functions are great, but knowing what fields you need in your report to populate the function with is difficult. I need to know what they are before I add the function. I actually listed the fields needed in the description of the function.
For Colleague clients, mapping the data and eliminating the creation of computed columns in Colleague is a big plus. It's a great product for unidata clients. I haven't had the chance to work with SQL. I am hoping to get Ellucian Recruiter added as a datasource.
Read Marjorie Williams's full review
Kris Hutchens profile photo

"Entrinsik Informer Review"

• Entrinsik makes Informer easy to use.
  • Informer Dashboards are easy to set up also.
  • Maintenance is easy
  • When creating reports, there is the ability to drag and drop
  • At this moment, I can't think of anything that can be improved. There are minor glitches that need to be fixed, but nothing major.
  • I truly enjoying working with this product.
It is great for reporting with dashboard capability. I like the fact that I can put our logo on the forms. When I need to output the form for another staff person, I like the fact that there are different ways to do this.
Read Kris Hutchens's full review
David Hodges profile photo
November 04, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "Why Chapman depends on Informer"

• We can always depend on Informer to provide both on-demand and daily scheduled reports when needed.
  • Our users pretty much write their own reports: Informer makes it easy to create both simple and more complex reports.
  • One thing that some users miss (from Informer 3 functionality) is the ability of reports to provide two levels of subtotaling.
  • One area that I would like to see improvement would be in better Javascript support and instruction, when creating calculated columns and functions.
Is it easy to use, by both IT people and users? Is it flexible?
Read David Hodges's full review
Verdon Vaillancourt profile photo
November 04, 2014

Review: "Entrinsik Informer reduces support and training while improving reporting and access to data"

• Very user-friendly for quick, one-off reports
  • Very manageable and granular permission for granting access to only the data required
  • Very easy to share reports and queries
  • Minimal training and support required for quick user adpotation
  • Copying of permissions from group to group, when creating new groups at a low level is cumbersome for the admins
  • The sharing and permissioning areas are the only difficult area to train users in, but it is complex
This is a great solution for medium to large institutions. It can bring a variety of data sources together into one robust querying and reporting tool. It is probably overkill for small shops, but has proven an invaluable tool, with good end-user buy in, for our university.
Read Verdon Vaillancourt's full review
Kate Goldberg profile photo
November 04, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "Informed about Informer!"

• Scheduling reports. We are able to easily schedule emails using many different recurring schedules. We are also able to email outside of our domain, so we can email to our volunteers who don't have an email from our institution.
  • Export choices. We use Excel and PDF predominantly, but have been experimenting with XML.
  • Drag and drop of columns. We are now able to move columns and rearrange easier than in previous versions.
  • User level permissions. Our OIT department controls our permissions, but we are able to have two levels-one for my staff who are the report writers and another for the staff who are the end users of the reports.
  • Performance-I don't know if it is a problem with Informer or the database, but sometimes it can take up to 45 minutes to run a report and I have to schedule it.
  • Search for email addresses- there is no way to search for a particular email in the scheduling section. So, when staff leave, I can't easily go find all the reports they were receiving.
  • Data analytics-they have a tab called "analytics", but I don't really think that is a fair term to use. It produces really basic pie and bar charts. It can be a little misleading.
I am unable to incorporate all of my data into "one place" - so Intrinsik is only connecting to Datatel- but I have a few other data sources that I would like to use.

Intrinsik is well suited for transactional level reporting. We often use it for data verification and data checking. For example, if we have 20 records that we are correcting, we can rerun the reports and be sure that we have fixed the problem.
Read Kate Goldberg's full review
Kristyn Lederer profile photo
September 12, 2014

User Review: "Entrinsik Informer"

Informer is used across campus for ad-hoc and regular reporting. It has allowed the college to consolidate reports so that multiple departments are able to utilize the same report instead of recreating the wheel. In some departments, it has also allowed end users to gather information themselves without relying on IT.
  • Our users like that reports can include prompts. This allows different departments on campus to use the same report with their own specific criteria.
  • Informer is fairly easy to use. It has allowed some of our end users to create reports on their own. With some training and understanding of the data and design of the database, they have been able to get what they need out of our student information system.
  • Personally, I like the fact that I can write a t-sql query and just copy it to Informer. This is much easier for me as a DBA than having to use the user interface.
  • We have routinely had issues with Java on our Informer box which require us to reboot the server. Support has been helpful when this occurs but it would be nice if it was easier to troubleshoot the problems on our own.
I think Entrinsik Informer is well suited for a small organization that needs reporting functionality requiring IT oversight. We have one IT staff member whose primary focus is to create reports and work with end users to understand how to extract needed information. Reporting is a very delicate area - everyone needs information but not everyone understands just how to get that information out of the system. Informer has given some of our end users the ability to do reporting on their own. However, it has also allowed IT the ability to easily get the data to those who aren't as comfortable with reporting.
Read Kristyn Lederer's full review
Matthew Baker profile photo
April 23, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "Versatile reporting tool from a company who listens"

Informer is used all over campus by numerous departments on a daily basis. It's used mostly to retrieve reports from Colleague, but we also use it on other databases such as our calendar database, to send out weekly and daily reminders to security and campus life employees about what's going on, and Slate, our admissions database. Informer has been a terrific reporting tool, easily retrieving data from different sources.
  • It's extremely easy to quickly put together a report to retrieve data you need. Filters and columns can be easily created, and code can be written in JavaScript to create additional columns. Custom JavaScript functions can be created and then easily used in the code.
  • Links between tables/files are easy to create, and can even be made to link together separate databases. The more advanced users can set up these links, and more basic users can then utilize them easily without understanding any background.
  • Reports can now be exported to share between institutions very easily. When importing a report, it will automatically add any mappings and links you don't have that are needed. Using this feature, you can even copy your entire database mapping to your test database, so all your mappings and links don't have to be manually created in your test database.
  • Filtering could be greatly improved. You cannot filter on columns linked from a secondary datasource, the calculated fields written in JavaScript, and computed columns from Colleague can also be tricky to filter on.
  • Loading of the report lists can be slow and glitchy (though I have been told this will be fixed soon)
  • When reporting on SQL databases, you cannot link a table with an outer join unless you write the entire report yourself in SQL code - a severe limitation that I hope will be fixed soon.
  • Defaults for report prompts would be great
  • When adding mappings and properties, it would be great if you could retrieve a sample of data from the DB to quickly see what the data looks like - helpful for knowing what you want to add.
  • Linking on composite keys in Unidata still seems to be impossible. And the ability to link to a non @ID field in Unidata would be great.
I have found Informer works far better reporting on transactional data than for things like trying to do lots of aggregation. I do find the need to just write native SQL reports, or create views within the DB and use them in Informer, because getting too advanced is just beyond the realm of a tool that tries to make report creation as easy as possible. It's not a miracle worker, and you still have to know what you're doing if things get even a little complex. But with the skills of our report writers, we've been able to create a terrific library of useful report for others who don't need to be able to create them.
Read Matthew Baker's full review
Amanda Curran profile photo
April 16, 2014

"My Review of Entrinsik Informer"

We use Entrinsik Informer across all departments at our University. It is our primary reporting application and is used across multiple data sources, including Colleague and ODS. It empowers our users to analyze and report on the data available to them, in order to make better business decisions.
  • Entrinsik Informer has an easy to learn user interface. With limited knowledge of relational database concepts, our end users are able to develop their own reports with little training.
  • Entrinsik Informer also has the ability to create complex reporting using javascript and Native SQL statements. Although IT assistance is generally needed to write the more complex reports, I have found any reporting requirement can be met using these advanced tools.
  • With recent enhancements in version 4.4.1, I have a better appreciation of the security features within Entrinsik Informer. The security audit reporting is very helpful from an administrative perspective. From a users perspective, they can now better categorize reports for more effective sharing and scheduling across departments.
  • The most recent version 4.4.1 has some performance issues and functions much slower than prior versions. This is frustrating to the end users. I do know Entrinsik is aware of and working on fixing this issue.
  • It would be nice for Entrinsik to publish the schema of Informer's internal database. We have access to it and do report from it, but it takes longer to get the reporting correct than it would with a published schema to guide the way.
  • End users can write reports which pull enormous amounts of data "by accident". It would be nice to have built in functionality to stop these queries from running off and bringing the entire application down for all users. I have recently attended training which included writing a plug-in to do this but it would be better if it were built into the product.
I think Informer is a cost effective solution for smaller companies, like the University where I work. I'm not sure if it would be well suited for companies with extremely large databases, although I can't say I've really tried to scale it to a higher level myself. Entrinsik is easy to work with and very responsive to support questions. It seems to me they have done a good job of growing very fast over recent years without too many growing pains impacting the current customer base.
Read Amanda Curran's full review
David Prose profile photo
April 16, 2014

Review: "Entrinsik Informer, a tool for just multivalued databases, or is it?"

At Elgin Community College we use Entrinsik Informer for almost all reporting needs. Its heaviest use is in HR but we in IT use it everyday. We also have users in Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Curriculum, Institutional Research, Registration and Records. The problem we had before purchasing Informer was we were writing queries and reports in the native database tool. This was OK for IT but very cumbersome and too difficult for most other departments and end users. Therefore the burden of writing reports mainly fell on IT programmers. Informer was a way to turn this back over into the end users hands.
  • The main thing that Entrinsik Informer does well is keeping it simple for end users to use. Very little training time was needed for not only for IT people supporting the product but for end users as well. Most of the setup work is in mapping the data and linking the tables. After this is done by IT staff, it is quite easy for the users to write reports that gather data from many files and even different sources.
  • Another strength of Entrinsik Informer is its ability to hook it up to numerous datasources. We have used it for unidata databases as well as several SQL Server databases and even one Access database for a special project.
  • One last strength is Entrinsik support of the product. It seems like every few months a new released comes out. Small point releases take less than 30 minutes to install counting the time I start kicking people out until they can get back in and use the product. Every time I find a bug or something I think should work differently, it seems like the next release address it. When I suggest a new feature to Entrinsik, they actually listen and more than not it seems to be incorporated in a future release.
  • One weakness of Entrinsik Informer is that is can act quite differently depending on what browser you are using with it. At one time I was told that Google Chrome was the preferred browser but then we starting seeing some strange issues using Chrome and was then told Mozilla Firefox was now a preferred browser.
  • Lately when opening up a support call, the call is open and I am waiting to hear back from Entrinsik and I get an email stating, 'We have not received a response from you in 5 business days for a support request you submitted. We will automatically be closing the ticket.' This is a little irritating when I am wait for a response, not the other way around.
If you are looking for a reporting tool for Unidata then I would give Entrinsik Informer a 10! You will not find a better tool for the price. The added bonus is that it will also work with many other datasources. If you are 100% SQL databases then I would give it about an 8. The ability to paste native queries into a report template and then schedule the job and have it email specific users is great.
Read David Prose's full review
David Prudencio profile photo
April 16, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "Short Learning Curve in Report Writing"

Informer is being used by many of my clients to handle their standard reports and daily ad-hoc requests. Many of the clients have been use to Unidata's UniQuery and Informer has given them that comfort level to write their own reports. It has given them an easy to use point and click tool for quick access to their data. Many are looking towards continued use as they migrate from UniData to SQL.
  • Quick report creation through the use of the report wizards and the point and click web version
  • Ability to access various databases: Unidata, SQL
  • Continued development of the dashboard functionality. Executives want the quick access to their numbers.
On SQL, there are so many tools available. My clients are higher education specific and they have access to low-cost or no-cost alternatives. On Unidata, this is a great tool and will continue to be so. That being said, Informer is not just for Higher Education users.
Read David Prudencio's full review
Donald Beck profile photo
April 16, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "A little time goes a long way ..."

Entrinsik Informer is used by power users, service staff and information technology. It allows us to easily capture real time data that we then use to feed into other systems. This allows us to expand services beyond our central database. It is also a quick way for users to pull simple lists of data for daily processing saving time and allowing users to focus on more critical tasks.
  • Real time data reporting
  • Simple drag and drop interface
  • Easy to maintain
  • Data cannot be qualified inline to exclude rows of data or sections/returns based on matching fields
  • A standardization guide to map fields to common names for non-technical users (this is probably something that can be done)
Well suited to real time data extraction and data feeds. Great for inline data reporting with some dashboard capability. Several output formats to chose from with "branding" templates to add some design to the output. I have not used it specifically for analyzing data but pretty sure it can but with various outputs if it needed to be fed into Excel or SAS it can be.
Read Donald Beck's full review
Robin Shepard profile photo
November 10, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "So, easy to use a hamster could do it"

Informer is being used by Development for selections, mailing lists, analyitics, auditing, financial reports, you name it.
  • Run complicated and simple queries
  • Schedule daily, weekly reports
  • Use as a department tool to communicate with colleagues
  • The steps to build the report is a bit cumbersome
I like that you can share reports without compromising the structure/ criteria of the report.
Read Robin Shepard's full review
Florante Roa profile photo
November 05, 2014

Review: "Entrinsik Informer - start your auto-magic experience today!"

Having Informer is like having EXTRA staff for each departments. It takes care of all reporting needs - for monitoring, mandatory, state, periodic reports - Reports are scheduled and thus, emailed or posted on website automatically.
  • Reports for Positive Pay, Financial Aid, A/R, Payment Plans
  • Waitlist, DREG, REG Priority, Positive Attendance, Rosters
  • LDAP, Blackboard upload files, Library Systems, Bookstore, @mycod.us
  • Counseling/Advising, SEP, Degree Audit
  • EMS, CFAR, Grades First,
  • Live Excels - Room Schedules, Pre-Req Roster, Grading Requirements (PE)
  • MIS Reports
  • IT Security Reports, Electronic Foot prints
  • Automatic Reports - posted directly to websites
  • Dashboard Functionality
  • Delivered Reports & Sample Reports, Subroutines, Functionality Repository of Know-How
  • Data Schema - to read and establish Relational Database Relationships automatically
In a nutshell, Informer help us access our Unidata DB to create virtual fields & reports that helps our bottom-line analysis needs at an affordable solution price. The flexible input for criteria & output definition and delivery - makes it easy for everyone to appreciate and benefit from its powerful and versatile architecture - from day 1 onwards. It's an "Auto-Magic" experience every school/business should have!
Read Florante Roa's full review
Matt Rud profile photo
April 24, 2014

Review: "New to Entrinsik Informer but very happy."

Informer is available across the whole university and is currently being used to address end-users reporting/data needs.
  • Non-technical users are able to get the data they need easily.
  • Set-up was easy.
  • We are still new users but those with a higher level of technical knowledge can create advanced reports/dashboards easily.
  • More detailed documentation, specifically about calculated columns and JavaScript examples would be nice.
Being new users, we are still learning and limited to basic reports right now...
Read Matt Rud's full review
Christopher Jones profile photo
April 23, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "Entrinsik's Informer has been one of our strongest IT services since 2007"

Informer is used organization-wide for operational reporting and we are implementing dashboards and analytics now. We have used Informer since 2007 and it has been an excellent tool that empowers our end users to govern their own data and find the information they need with minimal support.
  • Makes the reporting logic transparent to other report managers
  • Facilitates easy, ad hoc reporting
  • Enables users to export the data in a variety of formats so they can use it however they prefer
  • Not sure how to do it, but more prompts built into the tool to help keep the tool clean. When reports appear to be ad hoc, prompt the author to delete it when they are done for example.
Who will be the primary team creating reports in your organization? If the answer is end users, Informer could work very well. If the answer is IT, it could still be a good solution, but it may depend on the culture of your IT folks whether they want to use an interface or work more behind the scenes. I'd still recommend Informer because even if the end users don't write reports, Informer still gives them power to customize the report without reengaging IT.
Read Christopher Jones's full review
Steven McKinny profile photo
April 23, 2014

Entrinsik Informer: "Resellers point of view review"

As a reseller of Informer we are using the product as multi database reporting tool. Our typical implantation is for reporting against client Unidata databases, providing a simple, easy to use tool for our clients to view their data. From running month ends to aging summaries, the application is typically used by accounting departments and system analysts. We have also been able to integrate Informer within our own software with positive results.
  • The system is rather intuitive. Most clients are able to pick up the application at an excelled pace.
  • Ease of implementation; with self-contained installer deploying multiple instances is easily done.
  • It is rather easy to “break” the system with what I call runaway reports. The way the system requests data is rather poor in that it’s an all or nothing deal.
  • Screen constancy is a little off. The option to drag or double click should be a valid input on any screen, but there is a mix of this feature working fully and partially.
  • There is no granular system administration; the application it is either on or off. At times it would be helpful to stop/kill individual user database requests from the system, rather than turning off the application for the entire company to resolve issues.
The system is great at running complicated reports with a significant amount of fields in the parameters. However whenever processing a large request the application typically stalls. For a successful implementation an experienced report writer is recommended to train end users, along with having designated users who should have the rights to create reports where others can only run.
Read Steven McKinny's full review
Jennifer Coon, MBA profile photo
April 19, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "Informer works for us"

Informer is actively used throughout our organization. Departments use it not only to extract data and various reports for analysis, but also as an integral step in the workflow of key business processes.
  • Informer is an intuitive tool for end users. It is very easy to train all levels of a user population.
  • In addition to being a simple tool to use, Informer has very sophisticated capabilities for creating complicated reports as needed by our Power Users.
  • Informer provides reporting on itself, so as a service manager and administrator of Informer, I can easily gather metrics on how often and how our end users are using the tool.
  • Reporting on Informer itself can be very challenging. There is no dictionary resource on the tables provided about Informer, so a lot of report writing is trial and error on my part. And I can find myself making assumptions about what a data field means.
Informer is well suited for reporting in real-time and for scheduling report jobs.
Read Jennifer Coon, MBA's full review
Charles Ruiz Jr. profile photo
April 16, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "User Friendly"

Informer is used across out whole District of 7 Locations with many campuses at each location. We use Informer to pull reports and gather data on over 90,000 students each semester. Informer address many problems but what it does do is speed up the report pulling process and moves many of our reporting to pull at off peak times.
  • LIVE Excel is a life saver. It moves the power of pulling the report to the person that needs the information. It becomes an as needed report instead of waiting on reports
  • Informer scheduling takes the heavy reports and runs them at night or off peak times.
  • Informer Linking files lets us talk between files in Colleague and pull data from both.
  • Informer well let us talk to Colleague and to SQL at the same time.
  • Because we are so large we have a problem with people over running reports or large reports. Request have been put in for ways this problem can be solved.
  • Canceling a single report instead of shutting down Informer completely would be nice.
  • Toggle Display on all areas, When linking or mapping this option is not always available.
  • More pre-made administrator queries.
  • Last Executed, Could there be a way to make it to where it could toggle. Last executed by me or last executed by anyone.
  • Dashboards, more freedom with colors and sizing of the charts.
Informer is a great product.
Read Charles Ruiz Jr.'s full review
David M. Nicholas profile photo
April 16, 2014

Review: "Higher Education Benefits from Entrinsik Informer"

It is used as a reporting tool to pull information from Colleague. It is used by all departments across the campus. Informer expands the reporting functionality of our software - Ellucian.
  • Pulls and organizes data from our database in a useful manner
  • Allows us to pull data even when our dedicated Ellucian server is down
  • Allows more flexibility in our reporting
  • New users experienced in Query can learn how to use the product fairly easily
  • The product times out to quickly and this evidently can not be controlled by our IT staff
I believe the product is very well suited for the higher education area in all areas on the staff side.
Read David M. Nicholas's full review
Duane Roth profile photo
April 16, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "Reports in MINUTES!"

Used by the whole organization for reporting and dashboards. It addresses quick as well as complex reporting for many departments.
  • Writing quick reports, allows answers to users within minutes
  • Tabulating/totaling, allows grouping by set parameters
  • Allows exporting to Excel for detailed manipulation
  • Automatic advancement to a fill in box without having to place the mouse in the box
  • Report lookup feature lost in the last update and that is extremely frustrating, have to re-enter report lookup in box each time after closing a report
Very quick and easy to use. Provides linking of multiple files to get data from multiple locations. Support from the vendor has always been positive. Handling multiple values in SQL has some weaknesses.
Read Duane Roth's full review
Randall Miller profile photo
April 16, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "Best Reporting Solution for Higher Education"

We use Entrinsik Informer in every department of the college and it has revolutionized data reporting and analysis. We have used it to automate and streamline workflows and processes which has saved the college thousands of dollars in labor. Thanks to the simplicity and customization of pulling dating from various data sources, we have been able to generate reports from sources that were not previously possible. We are now able to provide consistent, accurate, and up to date information for all of our students, faculty, and staff. Entrinsik Informer has not only transformed our environment, but has created a mindset that causes all of us to find ways of improving our workflows.
  • Report Scheduling - Provides options to email reports on a routine basis as well as export to other locations to meet any additional scripting needs.
  • Javascript - Allows for custom fields and additional filtering.
  • Multiple Data Sources - We have been able to pull data from SQL as well as Unidata databases.
  • Would like to see more detailed documentation on how to use certain features.
  • Would like to have more control over certain operations that take place at runtime so that certain calculations could take place as the report was run.
  • Would like to have the capability of conditional formatting so that a value may be highlighted if it matches a certain condition.
The only instances in which Entrinsik Informer would be considered less appropriate is in cases when a software package containing a database already has customizable reporting features. We have a Dell Kace vk1000 system that contains a SQL database. The structure of the database makes it very difficult to pull information together in a way that is meaningful.
Read Randall Miller's full review
Robert Pankey profile photo
April 16, 2014

Review: "Entrinsik Informer on the College Campus"

all admin across campus use the product to run reports and query database
  • Ad hoc query/reporting
  • Creates Live Excel documents
  • Available logic is too limited for more complex queries
  • Cannot see your database's file structure and data items through Informer
Works well for end users and execs needing simple data. For research/analysis and complex reporting it can be quite frustrating.
Read Robert Pankey's full review
Josalyn Leary profile photo
April 16, 2014

Entrinsik Informer Review: "Entrinsik Reporting and Proofing"

Entrink Informer is used through-out the whole college as a reporting tool.
  • Provides excellent reporting tool for state auditing purposes
  • Helps proof our data; ie what was submitted as to what was entered
  • Helps track student enrollment
  • I love how the new version has become more user friendly by providing pop up responses while typing
  • Still need more training on the awesome functionality of the Dashboards.
I utilize Informer to proof-read my work. I enter the department schedules, so I can proof what I entered as opposed to what was suppose to be entered. I can also check to make sure credits and billing are properly entered, as well as census dates, instructors, and rooms.
Read Josalyn Leary's full review
Karleen Clark profile photo
April 16, 2014

User Review: "Happy with Entrinsik Informer"

Originally, we purchased Enrinsik Informer because we needed a reporting utility that would work with Unidata. As we migrated to SQL we found Entrinsik handles both environments. We love the ability to connect Informer to multiple databases. The company is easy to work with, they listen and deliver to meet our needs. We love the enhancements they created for us and the fast turn around when we have needed assistance. They are always happy on the phone.
  • Connects to multiple database.
  • Allows us to create calculated fields on the fly within reports.
  • Allows our users to create custom views of reports written by IT.
  • Tagging reports for easy searching.
  • We were able to install and have Informer up and running within a day but took more time to tweak and determine the best security module for us.
  • The best feature. I really did learn to use the base functionality of Informer without the need for instructions. More advanced features took a bit more time but were not that complicated.
  • At Ellucian Live I spoke with my rep about added the ability to create a link from a column header to a website or data cookbook. The idea is to allow our endusers to click on the column header and read the definition of the term ensuring they fully understand what the report is telling them. Prevent second guessing or wondering if the report is correct.
  • One area where we stuggle is that we can't use a computed column in the selection criteria. This would be really nice.
  • I can't think of a third item.
Informer meets the majority of our needs. However, when it comes to serious analytically, number crunching reports we tend to user other tools. I find picking up the phone works great for reaching the vendor and I love speaking with them at conferences. They are so welcoming.
Read Karleen Clark's full review
Kevin Clark profile photo
April 16, 2014

Entrinsik Informer: "Programmer review"

The product is the basic reporting tool for the enterprise. It addresses questions on course information, enrollment information, and business information for support departments of the institution. The range of reporting is from the most basic levels to the more complex. Users are beginning to tap some of the potentials that are inherent in the product.
  • Ease of developing ad-hoc reporting.
  • The recent implementation of sub-tagging has regained functionality in previous versions that was lost in the first versions of 4.
  • Flexibility in reporting from multiple DB's across the enterprise to help merge information from separate systems
  • This might be site specific, but we are noticing that the latest versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer are laboring to run scripts and slows the use of the product.
  • When working on a report and leaving to go back to the report listing, it refreshes back to the Main Home listing of reports instead of the last tag you are in.
For Unidata clients this is a tool that is as seamless as can be to configure and use the tools that it has to offer. The way in which it handles the multivalues offers greater flexibility of either combining or normalizing the information out. The links with MS SQL are still new to us, but can see that with more applicability will help bring more information to bolster and validate CRM data when using imports and exports between systems across campus.
Read Kevin Clark's full review

Pixel Perfect reports (1)
5.5
Customizable dashboards (5)
Report Formatting Templates (5)
Drill-down analysis (7)
Formatting capabilities (8)
Integration with R or other statistical packages (1)
Report sharing and collaboration (8)
Publish to Web (3)
Publish to PDF (7)
Report Versioning (2)
Report Delivery Scheduling (5)
Multi-User Support (named login) (9)
Role-Based Security Model (8)
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete) (7)

About Entrinsik Informer

Informer 5 from Entrinsik is a data discovery and analytics tool that aims to simplify the process of accessing, cleansing, blending, and analyzing data from multiple sources. According to the vendor, with Informer, companies can aggregate all their disparate data into a single platform using an intuitive, 100% web-based interface that replaces outdated query tools and complicated reporting systems.

The tool aims to eliminate the need for data warehouses and cubes, and eliminate complicated “views” and limited functionality. With extensible architecture, collaborative environment, and enterprise-level performance, Informer aims to deliver actionable insights and better, data-driven decisions for its customers.

Entrinsik Informer Features

BI Platform Features
Does not have featureAdministration via Windows App
Does not have featureAdministration via MacOS App
Has featureAdministration via Web Interface
Has featureLive Connection to External Data
Has featureSnapshot of External Data
Has featureIn-memory data model
Does not have featureOLAP (Pre-processed cube representation)
Does not have featureROLAP (SQL-layer querying)
Has featureMulti-Data Source Reporting (Blending)
Does not have featureData warehouse / dictionary layer
Does not have featureETL Capability
Does not have featureETL Scheduler
Supported Data Sources Features
Has featureMS Excel Workbooks
Has featureText Files (CSV, etc)
Has featureOracle
Does not have featureSalesforce
Does not have featureSAP
Does not have featureGoogle Analytics
BI Standard Reporting Features
Does not have featurePixel Perfect reports
Has featureCustomizable dashboards
Has featureReport Formatting Templates
Ad-hoc Reporting Features
Has featureDrill-down analysis
Has featureFormatting capabilities
Does not have featurePredictive modeling
Does not have featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages
Has featureReport sharing and collaboration
Report Output and Scheduling Features
Has featurePublish to Web
Has featurePublish to PDF
Does not have featureOutput Raw Supporting Data
Has featureReport Versioning
Has featureReport Delivery Scheduling
Has featureDelivery to Remote Servers
Data Discovery and Visualization Features
Has featurePre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Has featureLocation Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Does not have featurePredictive Analytics
Does not have featureSupport for Machine Learning models
Does not have featurePattern Recognition and Data Mining
Does not have featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages
Access Control and Security Features
Has featureMulti-User Support (named login)
Has featureRole-Based Security Model
Has featureMultiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Has featureReport-Level Access Control
Has featureTable-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
Has featureField-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
Does not have featureSingle Sign-On (SSO)
Mobile Capabilities Features
Has featureResponsive Design for Web Access
Does not have featureDedicated iOS Application
Does not have featureDedicated Android Application
Has featureDashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile
Application Program Interfaces (APIs) / Embedding Features
Has featureREST API
Does not have featureJavascript API
Does not have featureiFrames
Does not have featureJava API
Does not have featureThemeable User Interface (UI)
Does not have featureCustomizable Platform (Open Source)

Entrinsik Informer Screenshots