https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/8Q/b9/W47TSZK0C41J.PNGScale Computing HC3 ReviewFor our company, we running most of our application servers on our Scale HC3. Most of the servers were migrated from VMware and the rest of them were virtualized from physical servers.,High Stability Super easy to manage VMs Automatic failover when node fails,I wish they could have more log features, for example, graphical statistics for hardware usage over time. Overall, the Scale HC3 is preforming really well for us.,10,10,We migrated our telephone system and reporting system from physical servers to Scale last year, we never had any issue with it.,Reduced management cost,VMware ESXiScale saved me from a VMware upgrade nightmare!We moved our entire VMware environment onto HC3. We use it to run our Windows servers. We are about to spin up our DR site as well. All of our Active Directory servers, FileCloud server, print servers, QuickBooks run on it. We will also be using it to replace Splashtop for users logging in remotely.,HC3 is easy to set up. The administration is so simple that you can give admin to less experienced employees. The VMs are very fast!,The interface needs more color. Integrate the Doubletake software into the system. Cloud replication?,10,10,We run only basic things like QuickBooks, Sage and file and print services on our stuff,Prevented expensive VMware upgrade My boss loves no monthly fees Cost so much less - I used the money for network upgrades too,VMware ESXiReview of our Scale HC3 systemWe use the Scale Computing HC3 platform across our whole organization. With its ease of use, we are able to obtain 99.9% uptime as well as a full DR site with 100% of our data. It solves the need by not requiring complicated switching equipment, advanced networks, etc. All of the systems are essentially self-contained and require near 0 maintenance.,DR - Scale does DR really well. With a few clicks, you can have a (or more) multiple DR sites. Ease of use - The system is extremely easy to use through it's GUI. With a few clicks, you're able to spin a VM up and have it set up snapshots and replication to other sites.,Ability to share or use dynamic memory.,10,10,We run our entire environment on the HC3 system. Primary & Backup domain controllers, application servers, file servers and most importantly our terminal servers. I have been blown away by the ease of use, performance and redundancy with the system.,To be honest - It's still a bit early to accurately tell our ROI -- But so far, we are happy.,VMware ESXi and XenServer,Deploying new VMs,Some back-end changes or console configuration changes.,No,10Scale delivers manageability and power savingsWe use Scale to visualize our whole server environment including database, exchange, and terminal servers. Each user is impacted directly by the performance of the cluster. Scale helps us simplify our server infrastructure as well as provides redundancy and backups. With a simple GUI, the Scale nodes are easy to manage as well as add resources such as memory or virtual hard drives. As the name implies, Scale is a solution that will be easy to add additional nodes should our capacity needs change, this helps us budget future years with more certainty.,Scale care support provides, by far, some of the best support of any issues that arise. No downtime for Scale updates. Migration of virtual machines and cloning machines is incredibly simple.,I'd really like an Android app where I can view the status of and manage nodes. Their GUI is perfect for this use case. During sales, I would have liked to be up sold to SSD's in each node.,10,10,I'll decline on the basis of giving too much information about our company. The points of redundancy and high availability are all valid. We've come to trust that Scale will always have out OSs up and running.,Power Savings, really quickly we noticed we have to air condition less. Our UPS is also able to add additional run time to Scale when compared to the 9 servers we had previously, now just 3 nodes. Less time looking at hardware issues. Quick resolution of any issues that have cropped up (not many),Microsoft Hyper VScale HC3 - It's for me.All our VMs (except 1) are on the Scale Computing HC3 system across the organization. It lives in our colocation facility and snapshots across the network to a remote site. It is our virtual platform and storage area network and hosts SQL, SharePoint, Exchange, File/Print, Citrix, payroll, DHCP, DNS, and other miscellaneous. servers.,Easy to snapshot servers offsite and recover - We actually had to test this in real-time as we had a corrupted file server that had been snapshotted previously. Easy to log in and turn on the snapshot'd server, verify and re-replicate it back to replace the production server. What could have taken hours only took a few minutes. Support - Scale has always been responsive to any questions or needs we have had and are easy to work with. We've done several os upgrades have had no issues. Easy - it's just an easy platform to manage. Not too complicated. Visually appealing to manage through the GUI.,Using the GUI is good, however, when I have several servers on a box, it's sometimes hard to tell which node the server is connected to. It does not clearly, visibly display which node. If you hover over the node, it will give the name of the server.,10,9,SQL2016 / SharePoint 2016 - our SharePoint2010 and 2016 environment runs on the system with no issues.,Improved UPtime Allows us to focus on other issues since this is not a time-consuming or difficult task,
Windows, Linux, Unix

Eric Sun profile photo
January 15, 2018

• High Stability
  • Super easy to manage VMs
  • Automatic failover when node fails
  • I wish they could have more log features, for example, graphical statistics for hardware usage over time.
  • Overall, the Scale HC3 is preforming really well for us.
If you have a decent budget and you want a nice VM server upgrade or want to virtualize your old physical servers, Scale computing is an ideal solution for you.
Read Eric Sun's full review
Craig Ackerson profile photo
January 10, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale saved me from a VMware upgrade nightmare!"

• HC3 is easy to set up.
  • The administration is so simple that you can give admin to less experienced employees.
  • The VMs are very fast!
  • The interface needs more color.
  • Integrate the Doubletake software into the system.
  • Cloud replication?
Please do yourself a HUGE favor - get rid of overly complex VMware in small environments! Are you crazy - you can never understand all that. However if you are in a big environment, maybe VMware still has use, I would hate that but some things have to stay old tech I suppose.
Read Craig Ackerson's full review
Matthew Marlowe profile photo
January 10, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Review of our Scale HC3 system"

• DR - Scale does DR really well. With a few clicks, you can have a (or more) multiple DR sites.
  • Ease of use - The system is extremely easy to use through it's GUI. With a few clicks, you're able to spin a VM up and have it set up snapshots and replication to other sites.
  • Ability to share or use dynamic memory.
Scale Computing HC3 is well suited in any environment that requires a simple, cost-effective and easy to use hyper-converged system that "just works".
Read Matthew Marlowe's full review
Dave Guenther profile photo
January 10, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale delivers manageability and power savings"

• Scale care support provides, by far, some of the best support of any issues that arise.
  • No downtime for Scale updates.
  • Migration of virtual machines and cloning machines is incredibly simple.
  • I'd really like an Android app where I can view the status of and manage nodes. Their GUI is perfect for this use case.
  • During sales, I would have liked to be up sold to SSD's in each node.
Scale is great for mid-size organizations with 50-200 employees. Anywhere under that, there are likely solutions that are more cost-effective, over that I'm not sure but you can expand as needed. IT admins who want to focus less on server hardware will appreciate the all in one package and manageability of scale.
Read Dave Guenther's full review
Brenda Hartson profile photo
January 10, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale HC3 - It's for me."

• Easy to snapshot servers offsite and recover - We actually had to test this in real-time as we had a corrupted file server that had been snapshotted previously. Easy to log in and turn on the snapshot'd server, verify and re-replicate it back to replace the production server. What could have taken hours only took a few minutes.
  • Support - Scale has always been responsive to any questions or needs we have had and are easy to work with. We've done several os upgrades have had no issues.
  • Easy - it's just an easy platform to manage. Not too complicated. Visually appealing to manage through the GUI.
  • Using the GUI is good, however, when I have several servers on a box, it's sometimes hard to tell which node the server is connected to. It does not clearly, visibly display which node. If you hover over the node, it will give the name of the server.
Small to mid-sized companies that want something easy. We have approximately 20 servers in production on the cluster and sleep well at night knowing it works. Have not tested but it may not be suited for high volume transactions. Not sure.
Read Brenda Hartson's full review
Albert Smid profile photo
January 10, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "HC3 is a cost effective solution to deploy and operate in a manufacturing environment"

Other than the ERP system, all other services are implemented in the Scale cluster, domain controller, file sharing, HR applications, EDI - FTP server etc.
  • The main strength of the system is that the system is fault tolerant. We have had issues on one server in the HC3 cluster (it went down!), no production downtime, end users did not even know that we had issues.
  • The support from the ScaleComputing team has been excellent.
  • User interface to manage the cluster is simple, the migration from various sources (VMware, stand alone servers was simple).
  • Requires just common sense knowledge to manage the system.
  • Like to see an option to export a VM external to the cluster, like to a NAS.
It is great for the normal IT Server functions and light database. At this time based on our deployment, I would not recommend this for high database loads. Having said that I would not deploy an ERP database on an Intel based system.

We're planning to migrate in the third quarter MS Exchange on the Scale cluster as well, our analysis indicates that we should have enough resources within the cluster to accommodate this.
After we migrated some VMWare and standalone servers to the Scale Cluster we noticed that not all of the initial setups on the Scale cluster was correct, adjusting them was painless and easy to execute.
Read Albert Smid's full review
Bryan Watson profile photo
December 18, 2017

Review: "Reduce Your IT Headache with Scale Computing HC3"

We use Scale Computing HC3 across all departments within the City of Hudson. The main reason we went with it was because of its built-in replication ability to other Scale Computing clusters, which is perfect for not only a backup solution but also as a disaster recovery solution.
  • I marvel that I can create a new VM, give it an IP address, a name, and join it to the domain all in about 10 minutes. After the first 3 or 4 VMs, I realized that I can take that freshly installed VM and just clone it to have new VMs under two minutes! I now have a VM that is strictly for cloning to make a new VM servers.
  • If a user accidentally deletes a file, I can clone that VM from a snapshot in about two minutes to recover the file. Or, depending on the replication schedule, I can retrieve the file from another clusters just as quickly.
  • The dashboard for the cluster has great gauges to show the usages of the CPUs, RAM, Disk space, and IOPS. It also has a box for each node in the cluster to show which VMs are on which node and its RAM and disk usages.
  • There is a tile for each VM that also has its own set of gauges to Disk, CPU, and network usage.
  • I like that I manage the cluster from a web browser instead of a KVM in a rack.
  • The gauges for the cluster could be improved. The Disk Space usage shows the total disk space before the RAID and not the actual usable amount after the RAID. The RAM cluster show a total off 188GB but show be 192GB; each cluster has 64GB of RAM and I have three clusters.
Having multiple clusters in the same location that are replicating to one another would be a good fit for a high availability environment. I do not believe it would be suited for a small business environment.
Our police department has squad car and body cameras that require lots of storage space. Scale Computing HC3 does an excellent job in handling the resources needed for the ability to access those videos without buffering or connectivity/accessibility issues when numerous people are trying to view videos or while videos are being uploaded to the server.
Read Bryan Watson's full review
Brandon Rasler profile photo
December 18, 2017

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Service, Value and Performance of Scale Computing Unmatched"

We replaced our aging VM environment with Scale for a fraction of the cost that was quoted by our current vendor. Implementation time was lower than what was expected to upgrade existing equipment with new hardware and software.
  • We bought two HC3 so we have DR covered with ease by Scale Snapshots and Replication.
  • Tech support has been phenomenal. We have only called a few times but they have always been available and were able to immediately address our issues.
  • While we were not making the switch for improved performance reasons, our users have noticed speed improvements across several applications.
  • The time that Scale spent helping us with planning and implementation has been better than we have had with other vendors and far exceded our expectations.
  • If I could resize drive size without a VM shut down that would be great.
I would recommend to any colleague. I honestly think it is priced at the low end that most mid-sized businesses could afford and I wouldn't doubt the ability for a Scale system to handle a very large implementation as well.
Our ERP software runs completely on Scale. We are serving close to 150 users with terminal services using servers on our Scale hyper-converged infrastructure.
Read Brandon Rasler's full review
Colin Craig profile photo
December 18, 2017

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale Review"

We utilize two infrastructures. One for our main system that hosts an IIS and SQL server and a secondary cluster for DR. Both clusters support the majority of our businesses functionality.
  • Their raid set up is pretty neat. When a drive goes out, it permanently moves the information to another. One the drive is replaced, it builds on the new drive instead of transferring information back to the new drive.
  • We were able to cut our server room down from 4 racks to 2.
  • We were able to cut our energy consumption in half.
  • 3 words. Redundancy, redundancy, and redundancy. Excellent setup.
  • There are some things on the UI that can be implemented.
It’s great for small to mid size companies, not so much large companies. Scale meeting our budget was crucial for our decision making.
Read Colin Craig's full review
Zach Hightower profile photo
December 18, 2017

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale Computing - Why we ditched VMware and Went to HC3"

Our Scale Computing HC3 cluster is used to provide a virtual host farm for the majority of our storage and services across our small college campus. Ultimately, it is utilized by every single faculty, staff, and student with services ranging from department share folders, LDAP connections, SQL databases, and remote desktops.
  • GUI - The interface is leagues above VMware and is very easy to use. It also supports OSX, which is something we value.
  • Ease of VM setup - Once you have the ISOs and drivers loaded, it takes almost no time to spin up a new virtual machine.
  • Overview and system alerts - Scale is excellent with providing a snapshot of your system resources as soon as you log in and also sends out timely emails to notify you when there are issues.
  • Load balancing - Sometimes when a drive goes out, the entire system has to go through a lengthy re-balancing process.
  • Firmware updates - Scale does a great job at improvements on their firmware, getting a swing-cluster to make those upgrades is difficult.
  • Support - Scale has amazing phone support and always has a knowledgeable tech available for critical issues. Smaller issues seem to get lost and it can be difficult to keep track of non-priority tickets.
I think Scale is perfect for small organizations that don't want to buy virtual hosts and storage. They also don't have ridiculous software licensing costs like many other virtual providers.

I am not sure where it would be less appropriate, but they are a lesser known company and there may be scenarios where more known software are compatible with other vendors.
We run our main LDAP, SQL, and remote desktop services on Scale.

We had an aging installation of SQL server. Because we had it on Scale, we were easily able to make a replacement/upgrade VM and then seamlessly transfer everything over to the new server with no glitches.

We can also spin up test VMs in no time at all. And delete them just as easily once we are finished.
Read Zach Hightower's full review
Lew Pollock profile photo
December 15, 2017

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Tipping the Scale to HC3"

Currently we are using Scale HC3 in all our regional offices. All have their own server farm and we wanted to do something with virtualization without the cost of a VMWare cluster. We discovered Scale at a conference and discussed how it would fit with our plans for this office. We currently have two 3 node clusters and a single node in a very small satellite office. We have started replicating between our sites for backup and redundancy.
  • Ease in creating a new virtual host. Amazingly simple for our support people to create new VMs quickly and efficiently.
  • Easy to manage. Everything for the cluster is on one screen and easily to read and manage.
  • Great support team to help us troubleshoot issues.
  • Easy installation.
  • Would love to be able to manage all my clusters from one device.
  • Would love to make certain changes live without having to shut down a VM.
The only place we have not been able to use a Scale HC3 is when dealing with a software vendor which will not support VMs on any other software/hardware not related to Hyper-V or VMWare. We have been successful using these devices to replace all types of servers.
In our satellite office we are migrating all business to the HC3 cluster from email to file and print. To date we have had no issues running any type server on the Scale cluster.
Read Lew Pollock's full review
Nicholas Hempenius profile photo
December 14, 2017

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale, keeping it simple and easy."

We have a six blade Scale cluster that supports our 20+ servers that are essential in providing the back-end of the Hammock Source e-commerce presence. The servers also provide services to our shipping, receiving, and customer service departments. Our Scale VM cluster addresses our need for a large amount of servers within a limited amount of space. It also allows for business expansion that is continuously going on.
  • Scale Computing provides a simple and easy to use graphical interface.
  • The VM export feature makes it easy to backup VM images to remote storage servers without having to use external tools.
  • Resource allocation to various VMs is easy and seamless using the graphical interface.
  • The VM Disk usage meter seems to be broken, we have an in house work around to track this.
  • The cluster logs could provide a little more feedback and be more verbose.
  • Automating VM export would also be extreamly helpful.
A great scenario where Scale computing is almost perfect would be in class room type environment. I am a technical lead for the East Carolina University Collegiate Cyber defense competition, we need to have a lab environment with many different operating systems that can all communicate with each other so that we can practice cyber security techniques. With my experience in using the HC3 I feel that it would be a wonderful environment to practice cyber defense.
We have multiple servers that provide business-critical applications, almost all of them reside on Scale Computing HC3. For example, our FedEx shipping server, vendor websites, NCR point of sales server all run on the HC3 and we have very little to no downtime for these critical servers. We feel safe knowing we can revert these servers to snapshots at any time if needed and that we have images backed up to remote storage in case of emergencies.
Read Nicholas Hempenius's full review
Rick Waring profile photo
December 12, 2017

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale review"

We use SCALE to host our production/test/dev environments across the organization - We are currently in a transition from physical servers to virtual, and have extremely limited resources to manage a virtual environment. We needed a solution that was flexible, affordable, and did not require a lot of dedicated resource commitment.
  • Simplifies deployment of a resilient virtual platform with minimal dedicated resource commitment on our part.
  • Excellent tech support.
  • Very stable environment that recovers well from unexpected system glitches.
  • Reverting to a previous snapshot is a bit convoluted, not as straightforward as in VMWare.
  • Increase granularity of visibility into VM operations - they have been adding details to the main GUI, and are making progress, but still leaves a bit to be done as far as monitoring/managing individual VMs - overall system monitoring is good, but would be more useful if we could also drill down to individual BMs.
  • Currently there are unexpected issues with changing networking after the system has been deployed (for example: we need to change our default gateway - same subnet, but a different IP, and under the current version, we are required to take the entire system down for that one small change. SCALE is working on a better modification policy and we are hopeful they can develop a different solution so we do not have to totally shut down the system).
This is a quick way to deploy a resilient virtual environment that has decent specifications and flexibility, but not as good as some other solutions if you need to closely monitor individual VMs or require regular snapshot management.
We primarily host postgreSQL database applications with web-server front-ends -- uptime is critical for us and we have not had any serious issues with the SCALE environment, even when outside glitches (unusual failure of network switches supporting the iSCSI backbone did take the system offline, but SCALE recovered with minimal impact once the failed switches were replaced) - this could have been a very bad incident, but the SCALE environment recovered well with little additional effort on our part.
Read Rick Waring's full review
Blaine Derek Cappel profile photo
December 12, 2017

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "One of the best IT decisions I've ever made"

We first engaged with Scale several years ago as our first dive into server virtualization. We were so impressed we expanded our first cluster within a few months. We have since completed a hardware refresh and to this day we continue to be extremely impressed with Scale Computing HC3! I highly recommend Scale!
  • Server virtualization
  • I/O performance
  • customer service
  • None
Any application that is I/O intensive or mission critical where a virtualized environment is beneficial. Scale Computing HC3 has been a tremendous asset to our information technology infrastructure. Reliable, efficient, easy to use and administer. We did end up taking a video security system server off this solution as it was still better suited for a stand-alone box.
Our emergency room medical record system consists of five different servers that we have virtualized on our Scale Computing HC3 solution. Needless to say, these are very important servers that need to have 100 percent uptime. The robust solution that Scale Computing HC3 supplies is the perfect fit for this business critical application.
Read Blaine Derek Cappel's full review
Marc-Andre Ciccariello profile photo
December 11, 2017

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Surprise Surprise"

We are using Scale Computing to reduce physical servers and better management of our ressources. Redundant between 2 sitesm Simple and fast. Currently converting all my DC and share to put on the scale...
  • Simple
  • Fast
  • Always update for better use of the HC3
  • UI is too simple and not always giving the right info
  • Possibility to have 1 main interface to manage all the Scale/cluster
  • Nest Virtualization
All the virtualization without Nesting (a VM in a VM) is great with Scale. We don't have many tools either to control the server so we are always with a small 5% that we can't be autonomous.
Domain Controller, Fortinet EMS (antivirus), FortiAnalyzer (Logs), Share... More and more business don't want multiple physical servers for every single use. So when you turn in with a Scale solution you can have all you need in a small 1U HC3 and create cluster redundant so if one fails it transfers to the others. Even a backup solution is needed but if you have bought the right scale you can use it for snapshots schedule and keep it simple
Read Marc-Andre Ciccariello's full review
Morgan Rinehart profile photo

"Scale Computing HC3 Review"

Scale Computing HC3 has been used by our organization to support virtualization of existing physical servers and migration from another vendor platform. Scale Computing HC3 is being used by all departments in our organization. Scale Computing HC3 has addressed our business problems that occur by unpredictable growth in our departments that requires IT infrastructure upgrade and improvements that were very costly with other vendors. Scale Computing gives us a platform that can easily be expanded to meet immediate needs.
  • Very simple to use and requires minimal training to operate.
  • Streamlined upgrade process that can update entire site with click of button.
  • Shared storage is present across Scale Computing HC3 system has allowed us to limit investment in expensive SAN storage systems and add resources on demand.
  • Increased support with VMWare and Hyper-V for customers that are migrating from these systems to Scale over time.
  • More robust backup support with vendors already in the industry. Very little support with existing players in this market.
Scale is great for an environment that needs shared storage and organization and lacks resources to invest in a SAN environment.
We have migrated Exchange, SQL, Oracle, and DFS servers to Scale Computing HC3. These systems are working better than ever and Scale gives us flexibility to increase resources as needed on-demand.
Read Morgan Rinehart's full review
Karl Sharkey profile photo
December 08, 2017

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale HC3 Review"

We are using Scale across the whole of our organisation as we have moved our network to the "cloud". It addresses issues around updating hardware constantly with using Microsoft Hyper-V as in we no longer have to update the Hyper-V server as Scale updates can be carried out on the live system.
  • Snapshots are very good and give you peace of mind that you can go back to as many points in time as you wish
  • Incredibly easy to set up initially
  • Support line very good
  • Ability to increase disk sizes of VMs "on the fly"
  • You currently need to shut down the server and clone before you can
  • Being able to plug in USB drive and get files off
In a business where they need a large amount of VMs that need to be highly available.
We run ConnectWise on a server and also our management software.
Read Karl Sharkey's full review
Trenton Mengel profile photo
December 08, 2017

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale was easy for me"

We migrated to the Scale so my company would have failover capabilities and cost savings over traditional servers. We have moved many of our company's applications to the Scale cluster (Domain, Exchange, etc.).
  • Easy to start up and migrate systems.
  • Failover capabilities.
  • The display of usable hard drive storage shows actual space left not the usable space.
  • I would like to have the ability for the snap shots to be stored on a NAS as well as on the cluster.
Good for mission-critical systems. VDI desktops.

Not good for REALLY small business where 1 server is all the resource needed.
I have a small 3 node system but I am looking to expand the number of nodes and I know that the expansion will be as simple as pulling in the power and setting an IP on the new nodes and the system will be online. There is nothing else to do.
Read Trenton Mengel's full review
James Tio profile photo
December 06, 2017

"Scale Computing HC3 Review"

I used it for hosting small critical servers for a production environment. It is not used by other departments. We had a cooling problem back then in our data center and Scale Computing has a small footprint and generates less heat compared to Dell servers.
  • Easy to create VM and install OS.
  • Storage is already clustered and ready to be used.
  • Excellent support tools. I email the problem and they take it from there.
  • Major firmware upgrade may require shutting down all VMs.
  • Backup not supported by Netbackup.
Small foot print area for servers and minimum downtime. The cluster configuration will be a plus for company with part time system administrator.
We are not using HC3 for business-critical applications although I believe I will consider it in the future.
Read James Tio's full review
Gerry Charriere profile photo
January 25, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale Rules"

It is used in our department for a variety of services. We have created different data storages and even created VM machines.
  • Their service technicians are very professional. They assisted us with issues that we have encountered with our Scale product.
  • At the present time, I do not see any missing functionalities with this product.
I am not sure if I would use Scale to create VM machines, because I know we could always use more space to store our data.
We do not run any business critical applications on the HC3.
Read Gerry Charriere's full review
Chad Davis profile photo
January 15, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale HC3 Review"

We use Scale to virtualize 50 servers across the whole organization.
  • Easy to manage and stand up machines
  • Easy to migrate machines from one node to another
  • No VMware costs
  • Additional networking ability
We use it for Citrix XenApp, file sharing and network services.
We use it for XenApp.
Read Chad Davis's full review
Tyler Moser profile photo
January 10, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "It's worth checking out..."

We don't have an HC3 implementation in-house but we sell, manage, and support it for our customers. Our implementations have been organization-wide and address the issue of needing a highly available virtual infrastructure.
  • Cost - very competitive on cost vs. the competition
  • Pre-sales support - very thorough in understanding the environment and providing assistance in right-sizing the solution
  • Post - sales support - very responsive with any issues
  • Migrating existing virtual workloads into the cluster could be easier. Relies on third-party software to work.
HC3 is well suited for small business clients needing advanced virtual infrastructure pieces but not looking to incur a large CAPEX. It may be less appropriate at the enterprise level.
We have a customer that needed the run their ERP application in a highly-available environment. They were not getting the performance needed from their ageing ESX implementation and by migrating onto the HC3 infrastructure, they were able to greatly increase performance.
Read Tyler Moser's full review
Russell Lund profile photo
December 20, 2017

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Best scalable computing out there."

Coming from an IT background I have never used such a dynamic and and versatile system for VM's. Currently our system is running VM's which are used in all departments in my company, from IT to general research. If we need a new system we can immediately implement it for use the same day. It eliminates the need for group computers and management. We are able to integrate it into our network without issues and manage it right from my desk.
  • The scalability is amazing.
  • The ease of use is great.
  • The flexibility of the VM's helps each department on a daily basis.
  • I can't think of any areas where it need improvement. The system does everything we need it to do.
We have multiple hardware that may need a new computer with its own specific settings, Scale makes this very easy to implement within hours instead of waiting days and weeks for systems and set up.
Our bioinformatics department is constantly asking for more power, more RAM, more space. With Scale we can easily adjust the system to accommodate within minutes of the request.
Read Russell Lund's full review
Donny Lynch profile photo
December 07, 2017

Review: "SCALE Computing HC3 - Hyperconvergence done right"

SCALE Computing HC3 handles about 80% of our server needs across the organization.
  • SCALE Computing HC3 is easy to manage
  • Has a great support system when needed
  • Provides great built in disaster recovery options
  • Graphics hardware to support intensive graphic oriented software
Great in consolidating older legacy server hardware and server OS into one system
ERP, SQL server and remote access have been easy to deploy with SCALE Computing HC3
Read Donny Lynch's full review
January 30, 2018

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 - You won't Be Sorry"

Our servers, physical and VMware VMs, have all been migrated to Scale HC3. Our engineering, assembly and machining departments depend on our Scale system for access to their 3D data. Our self-developed ERP system and in-house Wiki both exist in our Scale environment as well. Additionally, our software and training departments request VMs to be created to aid in development and testing of our applications.
  • Scale provides a solid worry free VM environment for any SMB. We were looking to upgrade our VMware environment and found it quite daunting trying to piece together all the components necessary for a vm environment as well as the inevitable support contracts that would be scattered across different vendors. Scale combines everything you need into one turnkey solution. One appliance, one vendor, one support contract.
  • Companies with a limited IT staff or who would rather free their staff from the administration concerns of a typical vm environment will benefit greatly from a Scale HC3. It truly is plug and play. Even the system updates are automated, moving vms around the nodes in realtime while each node updates with no disruption to the VMs.
  • Built in High Availability, built in Load Balancing. Storage, Servers, VM os.. it's all self contained.
  • Working with the VMs (creating, deleting, cloning) is easier on an HC3 than on anything else I have seen.
  • I would like to have some access to the host system itself but I can see why it is locked away from the user. One of the main selling points of the system is it's hands free reliability. End users mucking things up would work against that.
  • I would like to see a bit more robust back up system to have a truly 100% self sustained VM environment. The system allows you to create snapshots very easily, both manual and scheduled. But it would be nice to be able to set up a backup/restore with deduplication to external locations.
We switched to Scale from a VMware environment and we couldn't be happier. Servers, Storage and Host OS are all combined into one self-contained system. If you are looking for a hands-off completely worry free VM environment I highly recommend Scale Computing. If you like to tinker and tweak your VM environment though you might not be happy with this because outside of the VMs themselves the system is 100% hands-off. You can create, remove, and clone VMs. You can configure their virtual hardware (number of nics, number and size of drives, etc.) You can import and export VMs as well as create snapshots manually or scheduled.

As far as the host system though, it just works. High availability is built in. Load balancing is built in. You can manually move VMs around if you wish but there is no need to. System updates are completely painless. You click to apply the update and the HC3 moves the VMs around to apply the updates to each node one at a time with no downtime or interruptions to the guest VMs. If a node does go down (which has not happened to us yet) you just replace the node and you're done.
Our engineering data needs to be available to our machinists, cnc programmers, and assemblers as well as our engineers. We run Autodesk Vault on a Windows Server vm on our HC3 and we have no issues with access to the data.
We also run a complete ERP system of our own design and development. This system handles everything from employee clock in/out to inventory to scheduling, to accounting, to HR. It is the lifeblood of our company and it runs on a dedicated vm in our HC3 system. An internet facing version of this ERP system also running in our HC3 is being set up for demo'ing to potential customers.
We also run various other systems unique to different departments (an inhouse wiki, jira issue tracking, customer support, software R&D)

About Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing offers edge computing, virtualization, and hyperconverged solutions for customers around the globe. Scale Computing HC3® software promises to eliminate traditional virtualization software, disaster recovery software, servers, and shared storage, replacing these with a fully integrated, highly available system for running applications. The vendor says that, using patented HyperCore™ technology, the HC3 self-healing platform automatically identifies, mitigates, and corrects problems in the infrastructure in real-time, enabling applications to achieve maximum uptime even when local IT resources and staff are scarce. The vendor says ease-of-use, high availability, and TCO are key differentiators. The product works for distributed enterprises, global retailers, and SMBs alike.

According to the vendor, key features and benefits include:

• Install in less than an hour
  • Deploy new VMs in minutes
  • Built-in Browser-based Management
  • Software-defined, hybrid storage system with automated tiering
  • Fully integrated, cluster-wide resource utilization and alerts
  • Single vendor support experience, no disparate systems to integrate
  • Integrated all-in-one appliance
  • Scale-out Architecture
  • Mix and match new nodes
  • Incremental resources improve performance of existing workloads
  • Fast and easy to expand, no downtime required
  • No additional licensing required
  • Start small and grow as your business grows
  • No forklift upgrades

Scale Computing HC3 Features

Has featureSimplicity
Has featureHigh Availability
Has featureScalability

Scale Computing HC3 Integrations

Leostream, Cloud Unity - Google

Scale Computing HC3 Competitors

VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi, Nutanix, Hyper-V, HPE SimpliVity (formerly OmniCube)

Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No
HC12008,500Per Node
HC1250D15,170Per Node
HC12509,665Per Node
HC1250DF16,750Per Node
HC5250D25,700Per Node

Pricing shown in U.S. Dollar. Pricing for other regions available on request.

Scale Computing HC3 Customer Size Distribution