BigCommerce Reviews

Do you work for this company?

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Matthew Walker profile photo
I use BigCommerce to run my daily selling operations across three channels and is the main platform for my business. The integrations and support have proven to be a great resource in growing and maintaining my business. It has helped me get over the intimidating prospect of building and maintaining a website.
  • Their customer support is excellent. They always have an answer to any technical issues I experience.
  • Integrating sales channels like eBay and Amazon was easy and you can manage them right from your BigCommerce dashboard.
  • They offer a variety of website templates that can meet most eCommerce website needs.
  • The admin dashboard is pretty advanced for someone who has never had experience operating an eCommerce platform.
  • Certain templates don't work with payment gateways.
  • Monthly prices seem a little high for limited features.
For the well-seasoned online seller, BigCommerce offers the tools and apps necessary to be successful. Payment gateway integration is easy and BigCommerce doesn't charge additional fees like other platforms. They have a number of free apps that can take care of sales tax for you as well as discounted merchant rates. For the experienced seller looking to for a platform that doesn't nickel and dime everything you do, it's the perfect platform. For the inexperienced "hobby" seller, it will be a bit of a challenge learning the ins and outs of BigCommerce.
Read Matthew Walker's full review
Asher Hoffman profile photo
BigCommerce is used by our company to manage our wholesale side of the business. We utilize the system from start to finish (order placing to fulfillment). It does a great job of segmenting out the different types of wholesale customers using the customer groups option. This addressed the problem of managing different types of pricing variations as well as other factors we can now customize depending on the customer group.
  • Easy store builder that allows you to create simple and clean online marketplaces.
  • Great analytics and reporting features.
  • Tech support is mostly helpful and I'm very happy with the option for live chat.
  • In the Orders page, it would be great to sort by customer group.
  • I'd like to see the ability to add "ship by" or "deliver by" date option for those not wanting immediate shipments or deliveries.
  • Daily or weekly automatic reports that can be customized and scheduled.
For small to medium-sized businesses, BigCommerce is a great solution to so many problems. It allows for scalable growth and features incredible customizability. It was exactly what our company needed when we outgrew our previous method for managing wholesale clients. I would highly recommend it to my colleagues.
Read Asher Hoffman's full review
Mark Linkhorst profile photo
BigCommerce is our web solution for an e-commerce website. It is the backbone of this operation and has been a huge improvement from Squarespace which was where our shop resided prior to the transition to BigCommerce. At this point, we use BigCommerce and applications associated with it like Shipstation which handles our fulfillment and logistics side of the operation which allows us to quickly pack and ship orders we ship with USPS thru our Stamps.com account that is connected to Shipstation for postage.

Beyond this, we've recently incorporated Eye4Fraud Application which offers services to allow us to process more orders that we may not have accepted without their insurance against fraud on the orders they approve. Having more eyes looking at our transactions for fraud is piece of mind and this application has cut back on the amount of declined orders which led to increased back and forth with customers as to why their transactions failed. International orders were problematic for individuals running their credit card multiple times with money hanging between them and their bank for days until the banks put the declined funds back on the customer's account. It allows us to process more orders we may have otherwise declined.
  • Organization of Orders
  • Organization of Products
  • Easy to use interface that can be changed with different templates and layouts.
  • BigCommerce prices their products on your yearly sales, so they help you with a lower cost if you are small and increase the price as you grow and succeed.
  • BigCommerce has great support that is available most times when you need them via chat almost instantly.
  • I've had an ongoing issue using FireFox as a browser where the Shipstation application will not launch, so I'm forced to use Safari to process the logistical side of things. It's worked out for the better in some ways as I can review other details in Firefox like looking for previous orders from the same customer while working simultaneously with Safari to generate a shipping label. Having better support to help me fix the Firefox issue would be appreciated rather than blaming Firefox for the problem.
  • At one point there were changes made on the backend of BigCommerce that the template we were using no longer supported. BigCommerce engineers helped with the transition however we can't manipulate the (Custom) option sets they created as they don't appear under our options or option sets. This means we have to create new ones ourselves if/when we want to manipulate the fields. So their fix isn't really a total fix, more like a band aid.
  • From time to time the statistics stop working or are delayed, that's really the only ongoing issue which occurs sporadically.
If you are looking for a one-stop-shop for an e-commerce website, then look to BigCommerce for a solution which you can build yourself without knowing how to code. You may need to copy and paste some scripts to get bells and whistles incorporated into your website and if you can't figure it out yourself, the BigCommerce support team is right there to help you via chat whenever you need them. If you have a super small shop with only a few items, BigCommerce may be overkill but if you plan to grow your product offerings, then it may be worth considering.
Read Mark Linkhorst's full review
Stephen Oostdyk profile photo
We are a small business which sells our niche products exclusively online. We use BigCommerce (BC) as our web hosting service. Our BC page integrates with our shipping utility as well so orders are easily processed and shipped. BC is used across our whole organization. We don't really have departments. We're so small that almost everything is handled by me. Using BC has addressed problems with SEO that we've had prior to using BC. It has helped the shipping process run much more smoothly and efficiently. BC has provided what I think are nice-looking web page templates that help welcome visitors and make it easier for them to order. I am not a web developer, so with BC, I've been able to accomplish what I set out to do, with flexibility to user-friendly modification selections.
  • BigCommerce offers a wide variety of page theme templates which look nice. This makes our small business have a professional looking online presence without requiring me to be a web developer.
  • BigCommerce offers a variety of apps that are created by other companies that can be easily added and integrated on our page. For example, ShipStation which when you install, configures correctly with my page without a ton of configuration on my side. This saves time and helps me accomplish my goals of being able to ship efficiently.
  • BigCommerce has some behind-the-scenes magic that has helped my page rank to the top on Google and other search engines, without my having to do very much at all. I don't have to pay for SEO services.
  • There are some limitations to the theme templates as to what can be changed. For example, I want my Categories menu, which appears as a sidebar for desktop customers, to display at the bottom of the page for mobile customers. There's not an option for that in the template I'm using. I can probably do it by making customization to the code, but, I am not a web developer and I don't know how to do that. Mobile customers don't see it unless they somehow magically know they have to touch the button in the top left corner. I will need to create a Categories page that mobile customers can see by touching on the welcome carousel.
  • The products consistently appear too large for my tastes, in particular, on tablets. One product image takes up almost the whole screen on a tablet. The user will magically have to know that they need to scroll down to add to cart or to view the description of the product. This kind of drives me nuts.
  • The Search function, for me, is useless, and I might even say in many cases it returns the wrong products based on what my customers are searching for. There is little to no options for configuring it to select exact or phrase match results only, or, to only return results based on the product descriptions and not names of categories or pages on my site that mentions a particular word. I wish I could control exactly what it would look for. There are search apps but none of them work well for my site. Just yesterday I learned how to remove the Search completely, which is what I did successfully.
  • There is a Bulk Edit feature where you can edit multiple items at once, such as product names or prices, but it is limited. I often do have to drill in and out of each product when I make universal updates, which can take a long time.
  • I wish it had much greater flexibility for options in the checkout process. It's kind of clunky and slow in my opinion. I haven't found an app that I could use to replace the checkout module. I think it may partially depend on the template you use. I'd like my customer to have the option of buying now, to begin checking out rather than having to go to cart first.
I think BigCommerce is well suited for a small business selling products on their web page. It's well suited for individuals like me who have little web development ability. It doesn't give complete flexibility and options, but it's definitely a good start to help you accomplish the most important basic goals.
Read Stephen Oostdyk's full review
David Mason profile photo
BigCommerce is our eCommerce platform. We migrated to there from our own proprietary platform after realizing how much easier it was to work with a third party system than trying to maintain our own in-house system. It is our only eCommerce platform, and we use it for all of our websites.
  • Product importing.
  • Strong basic features.
  • Third-party integrations.
  • I'd love to have faceted search on the lower level plans.
  • There's not a huge ability to create custom functionality.
  • I can't share catalogs across multiple sites.
It's great if you're looking for an out of the box system for a decent-sized catalog that does not require much custom functionality.
If you have a tiny catalog and a lot of non-ecommerce aspects of your site, Wordpress might be better. If you need a ton of customization, you might need to run your own platform or use an open source platform you can customize.
Read David Mason's full review
Sandi Keller profile photo
BigCommerce is our Store and since connecting to Klayvio our CRM too. We use our BC site for retail and for our dealers to log in and purchase, which BC does quite well with its ability to create Customer Groups with different levels of site access and pricing. BC addresses the problem from a customer service stand point of being able to keep things in one place and keep tract of notes per order both that the customer can see and private ones that they can't. I also utilize built-in merchant services with the Braintree service. I spent 4 years with another platform and had our own merchant services and I can say, much fewer headaches with the BC system of things and added bonus is the cost isn't really anymore either. I am a 1 woman show from the product design, website updates, marketing all the way thru customer service, so I greatly appreciate the BC platform for being able to keep things as contained as possible, from time to money management its a huge help.
  • Template design: Defiantly in the last 2 years has gotten much better and on par with any other platform out there. They have introduced some really great templates that now have flair and style and go beyond the "Cart" vibe. We are a unique brand and always appreciate being able to make a template our own and get our values and vibe across from the moment you land on our store.
  • Customer Service: I have tried other platforms and when it comes to customer service, BC is the best I've seen! Quite often I have to work on the website during the night and appreciate the 24/7 chat availability of support when I have a question or am just not finding the answer in the help area (which really has happened and been feeling stupid after). They are always knowledgeable and very friendly, their customer service alone makes up for the few things I wish BC had.
  • App and widget ease: Almost anywhere there might be an industry-specific detail needed, there is an app or widget for it that is easy to install right from the admin panel of BC. Most are quite affordable or free. The biggest one we use is Klayvio for our email marketing, funnel and flows perfectly with the BC system for CRM too.
  • Bulk Edit: The bulk edit feature really isn't much of a bulk edit, to be honest. The only things you can really change are the sale price and maybe inventory qty. A platform we were on before we used the bulk edit all the time because it was so perfect. Some real time saving adds to it would be: The ability to turn free shipping on and off/The ability to change all the pricing including MSRP/The ability to update the "availability" text/The ability to change the bin picking number, sort order, featured and visible.
  • Coupon Codes: I wish there was an easier way to work with the coupon codes. The ability to sort or search them would be hugely helpful.
I have had quite a few of my industry friends come over to BC on my recommendation and, in fact, I'm currently helping one in the set up of their first website/store. I did research other platforms for her to be able to show her why BC was the best option, the most value and also added that for her not having any website experience it would be the easiest for her to maintain herself. That has been a huge selling point I have made to others when it comes to BC—the fact they can now maintain it themselves over having to pay someone a hundred bucks every time they want to make a change and having to wait for that person to get around to doing it. They can make changes quickly and on the fly as needed themselves and better market themselves because of it.
Read Sandi Keller's full review
Mark Hughey profile photo
Our company uses BigCommerce as the host/shopping cart for one of our websites, makeyourown.buzz, offering unique products like organic butter, oils, specialty ingredients to companies of all sizes, and to end-user consumers.
We have been on the BigCommerce platform for about 4 years.
The site we have hosted on BigCommerce was relatively easy to set up and has been easy to maintain too.
One huge benefit of BigCommerce, compared to other carts we looked at, has been the 24-7 customer support. We have called, chatted and emailed their team (really OUR TEAM) at BigCommerce at all times of the day and night, and I do not think there has ever been a problem they did not help us solve.
Although they do not offer every little feature we want on a website, they do have developer partners that are there to help when we need them.
We have been very pleased with our BigCommerce store, and when we develop a new store it is very likely it will be with them.
  • Help with transitioning to them from another cart - when we brought our SKUs over to the Bigcommerce cart they took care of us. It was an easy process and together we got it done quickly and were up and running in a short time.
  • Customer service- We have called, and chatted and emails at all times of the day and night, and have been available. This is a BIG help, especially since no one at our company is a web developer.
  • Easy to use - The dashboard/interface of Bigcommerce is pretty intuitive and easy to learn and easy to use.
  • User management: One BIG snafu with Bigcommerce is the lack of a good user management interface system. It is impossible to set up a user and have the new user at a permission level to get a lot of stuff done as far as back end programming without the owner having to get involved. Most of the time the store owner ends up having to give a developer their username and password to get done what needs to get done, which in reality makes the whole system LESS SECURE, not more secure. They really need to get this solved.
  • Frontpage customization- unless you are a computer programmer, it can be a little difficult to get exactly what you are looking for on the home page. This may be the case of many carts, as a lot of this is the theme developer. I think Bigcommerce should make the developers of the themes make them easier to customize.
  • Cart customization: Our second biggest struggle with Bigcommerce (FIRST BEING USER ACCESS / MANAGEMENT) is the ability to add more customization at the end of the shopping experience for the customer, the shopping cart. For example, the Cart discounts are a great idea but the interface on the customer side needs to be able to just have the customer hit an "Add to Cart " button instead of going back to the page of the product to use the discount. Also, we need some better interface with the customers on details about payments and shipping.
If you are looking for a cart/ platform that you can get up and running with, for the most part, minimal trouble, and get a lot of reliability, check out BigCommerce. The platform stable, easy to use, and has most of the features needed to have an excellent looking website, as well as one with all the functionality needed to get customers in and checking out and creating revenue.
If you are trying to create a very customized site, with very specific check out functionality that needs to be highly customized, I still think a BigCommerce store is probably the way to go, but you may need to get outside development done and be sure to check out the developer partner site and get some quotes before you make your decision.
Read Mark Hughey's full review
Merritt Hansen profile photo
BigCommerce hosts my e-commerce website. It is used primarily by the sales department. BigCommerce allows me to host a customized e-commerce website with thousands of auto parts for a reasonable price. I chose it because they offered easy importing and exporting of products via a CSV file.
  • Handles large numbers of products very well. I have over 10,000 individual SKUs in my store.
  • They charge by sales volume. I have a large catalog but low sales volume so this works well for me.
  • Integrate a Google Shopping feed tool. I use Sales and Orders to feed my products to Google now but it is not very good and does not include all BigCommerce fields.
  • Add search by SKU number exact match in the product area.
  • Add ability to customize search behavior in the website header search tool, such as exact matches, AND, OR, etc.
If you have a large existing product catalog to import, BigCommerce can get you up and running VERY quickly.

If you need a very large amount of customization of your website, BigCommerce is not for you. Their framework is great, but not every part has the ability to change.
Read Merritt Hansen's full review
Mary Collins profile photo
BigCommerce hosts the company's main e-commerce website. It is used across the whole organization. It is the main sales platform.
  • BigCommerce is easy to set up and use.
  • BigCommerce has excellent customer support.
  • BigCommerce integrates well with many apps.
  • BigCommerce offers many payment options.
  • BigCommerce integrates well with other sales channels.
  • I have issues with the blog commenting and page commenting that have never been resolved. I'd like to see that done better. That's my biggest complaint.
  • Analytics are a little creaky. It's a little hard to access and interpret some statistics, and I don't find the admin interface to it particularly easy to view/use.
  • Having my business email hosted at Big Commerce would be a really nice addition.
  • Being able to do all my accounting through BC would be great too, so I wouldn't have to pay for additional software to handle my business.
  • Tpet.com products are mostly downloads and it works really well for that—for individual kinds of downloads and making bundles. It's excellent. It works well for shipped products, too.
  • Tpet offers backup CDs or printed copy options for the downloadable products, which makes a mixed product. There's no way to charge shipping on the shippable portion of the mixed product, so free shipping for that is the only way to handle it that I know of. It would be great if there were a mixed product option for items or bundles that are both downloadable and shippable.
  • File uploading (via DAV) and file management could be better; I sometimes have a problem getting files where I want them to be and seeing where they are with Cyberduck.
Read Mary Collins's full review
Kari Docekal profile photo
BigCommerce is being used as our online selling tool across our organization. It syncs to our Amber POS system, making inventory control easy. We have been a brick & mortar store for years and just launched our site with BigCommerce a week ago, finally making our products visible to the online audience.
  • Connectivity! BigCommerce has a variety of partner apps that work together seamlessly. They really do a great job with integration.
  • Simplicity! I am new to building a website and could not be happier with the amount of instruction given on how to complete all sorts of tasks. I love the WYSIWYG editors, constantly ensuring that my listing and emails appear exactly as I expect them to.
  • Info! BigCommerce does a remarkable job at providing endless sources of support. There are documents and step by step instructions for virtually any feature available!
  • Live Chat! BigCommerce offers a 24/7 live chat feature where support reps can help you to diagnose and fix any number of technical issues that may happen. They are knowledgeable, patient, and friendly!
  • Transparency. BigCommerce has great connectivity and integrations, but connectivity with my Amber POS leaves me with many hiccups. I think BigCommerce should look into their 3rd party integrations and make sure to let customers know which features don't sync. I have two stores, but the connectivity between Amber and BigCommerce pools my two store's inventory into one inventory number causing some confusion as to which store to pull the item from, etc. I realize this has more to do with Amber POS than BigCommerce, but if I knew to connectivity was so limited, I might have looked for a different program.
  • Training/Idea Sharing. BigCommerce reps on live chat are mostly very helpful. I have had an instance where a rep had no solution for my problem and recommended I get IT help, only for me to talk to another rep and get a fix for my issue within 5 minutes. Maybe some sort of database where reps can type in a brief description of the problem encountered and the fix found, that way if another rep encounters that issue, he/she will have some known fixes to try.
I think BigCommerce is especially well suited for those selling an item with choosable features (color, size, etc). It handles these listings easily and makes everything run smooth for both customer and company. I think it is less suited to companies that offer VIP rewards to their customers, if these rewards are based upon anything other than a % or $ off per order. We have a structure where customers can receive discounts to purchase items at a certain % above cost, I have not found a way to build our rewards system within the program yet.
Read Kari Docekal's full review
Joyce Counts profile photo
We use it to sell our products on the internet. It helps with the mechanics of an online store.
  • Big Commerce websites can be customized within the themes that are selected. Big Commerce does most of the website work for you. You just plug in your own products, photos and pricing.
  • Support has been excellent. Many times I'm working at odd hours and they are always available. Customer support seems very knowledgeable and I haven't been frustrated with their answers the way I am with other companies.
  • Pricing at the beginning is very reasonable. After you get bigger it kicks in more, but by then it's not so much of a stretch.
  • I think the menu system could be a little more clear. I usually have to click on every single heading before I find the right one that I want to use.
  • I've never been able to figure out if I have people signed up for the blog in Big Commerce. Because of Facebook, I don't really use it, but I have no clue if I'm letting down valued customers.
  • We don't get updates about new apps that are available. One app that I used for a bit then just disappeared with nothing else to replace it.
It's easy to get started with Big Commerce, and the price is right at the beginning. Once I realized how detailed I could make all the listings I didn't really have a good plan in place. It's fairly difficult to change the pricing on each listing, the way I have things set up, but it does allow me to tack on extras, and charge the correct amount.
Read Joyce Counts's full review
Rebecca Sims profile photo
BigCommerce is being used by our company in order to sell standard stock products to our customers. It has allowed us to streamline much of our sales process for customers who require standard (non-custom) products, and also those customers who wish to re-order quickly without having to speak to a sales associate.
  • Easy order management.
  • Detailed variants and rules for complex products.
  • Excellent technical support.
  • Bulk editing system for products needs improvement, not all product information is editable in bulk.
  • Content management for pages and blog posts could be better
BigCommerce is well suited for businesses that require a straightforward and reliable way to sell their products online and initial set up is easy for those who may not have a web developer on hand. It may not be well suited for companies that sell custom made products.
Read Rebecca Sims's full review
Stephen Steinberg profile photo
We use BigCommerce to power our eCommerce website. It makes it easy to run an eCommerce website that would otherwise take many man-hours to accomplish if we tried to do it all custom and in-house (PCI compliance, uptime, etc). We also utilize it for our website's blog and all things consumer-facing.
  • Uptime.
  • Customizability.
  • Ease of use.
  • There are not many free stock themes, and the ones that are available still take some custom coding know-how to make it look great.
  • It's difficult to control key parts of the website without custom code, mainly the navigation menus (although they say this will be fixed in 2020).
  • Some pricing features are limited unless you're on their high-cost enterprise plan. However, most of their stock pricing feature are still lightyears ahead of Shopify's out-of-the-box capabilities.
If they can handle a little bit of HTML and CSS, they should use BigCommerce. If they cannot code at all, they should make sure they are happy with some of the free themes first or be ready to hire someone to design their site for them before committing to BigCommerce.
Read Stephen Steinberg's full review
Candi McDonough profile photo
BigCommerce is our platform for the ecommerce portion of our business. Our entire website is hosted on it but are currently in development to use the integration to WordPress so we can get better flexibility with landing pages, forms, and other content pages that are not product specific. The basis of the site is to inform our customers about our products and allow them to purchase online versus having to call in their order.
  • Creating pages and categories is very intuitive and easy to navigate. Much easier than other platforms I've used.
  • Good user experience for our customers - easy to checkout.
  • Easy integrations with other platforms to streamline the customer experience
  • Very limited in creating coupon codes or cart-level discounts. I don't have ability to create multi-level options.
  • Blog page is very lacking and not at all up to current standards. The template should be set up to mimic a platform like WordPress.
  • No ability to create private landing pages that can be used for a campaign.
  • No ability to create forms. I have to use a third-party site and integrate it with the current site.
BigCommerce is easy to work in as it is fairly intuitive to navigate the process of creating product pages, especially in the Stencil platform versus Blueprint. One of the biggest drawbacks is the inability to create some of the multi-level or intricate promo codes that we would like to offer our customers. We can't bundle products into one.
Read Candi McDonough's full review
John Jensen profile photo
November 06, 2019

Trust BigCommerce

We use BigCommerce for our online retail sales channel.
  • They listen to the customer
  • Monthly live meetings
  • Innovative
  • Cost of web templates.
  • Email which is no longer.
Our BigCommerce rep was very helpful and fought for us during the signup process. Without her assistance, we would have likely sought the services of another web host company. This was the deciding factor in going with BigCommerce. Our rep has also maintained contact with us over the last several years.
Read John Jensen's full review
David Fitzpatrick profile photo
We use BigCommerce for the daily running of our business. Coupled with Xero we have the full package. Every order is input into BigCommerce first, printed, packed and shipped from there. We then use Xero to confirm payments and do your standard accounting. While we have a bricks and motor warehouse that we sell out of, all orders are put through BigCommerce.
  • Easy to add products and orders. I love that aspect.
  • Quick to see orders status and track what is happening with what orders.
  • SEO seems to be very good with BigCommerce as people find us easily on Google.
  • I tried Shopify and could not believe how much they require as extra that BigCommerce has a standard.
  • I've been asking for the last 6 years for a back-order feature. I falsely set my inventory more than I actually have so people can still order the product when not in stock. It's usually only a short time before I have more so FFS let me have a back-order feature. It's stupid to make the product unavailable when not in stock. Let me take my customer's money, please.
  • I miss the old Analytics. Also, let me add more reports based on the data given easily. Like what states I sell to compared to the others. At the moment I need to export to Excel and stuff around for ages to get this info. Not happy about that.
Suits most products and is easy to use, however, Australia lacks with shipping integrations depending on product size (large in my case).
Read David Fitzpatrick's full review
Krisstina Hawks profile photo
We use it as a team to keep track of and process orders. We communicate with our customers through the system so that the notes are attached to the each order. We can make separate interdepartmental notes so that multiple people can seamlessly work on each case. We can see what type of shipping they requested, all the customer information we need on the same screen.
  • It organizes orders in an easy to find/follow format, providing all the information you need on the same screen.
  • It helps assist with workflow communication when multiple people are working on the same order.
  • It's easy to search for past orders.
  • It's intuitive to use.
  • We have many variations on each of our numerous products, and we are not limited here. It's easy to integrate with our website.
  • Notifications that an order has a new note could be more prominent and visible. People have to remember to check the notes.
  • It would be nice if you could process refunds for Braintree etc direct from the Orders page, or if you still had to manually refund them from your secondary payment sources, if BigCommerce could be updated without having to do it manually there as well.
  • I don't like the frequency of the need to enter manual verification codes into our computers and our employee computers to use the site.
Big commerce is great if you have a wide variety of products that have a wide variety of options. Other ecommerce sites could not handle our inventory. It has improved workflow communication within my company, making the shipping department more independent/needing less oversight. It has sped up the shipping process by keeping all the information easily seen and searchable.
Read Krisstina Hawks's full review
Libby Herbert profile photo
I use BigCommerce to run my balloon delivery service. Local people will log onto the website, view balloon display option, purchase and chose a delivery time. I love using BigCommerce as it allows me to add bespoke options for users to choose a delivery date, delivery time and add additional extras.
  • Really easy to use, the interface is clean and manageable. You don't feel overwhelmed.
  • Easy to contact customer service. There were a couple of occasions where I contacted the support team via online chat and they were very quick and helpful.
  • There are a good number of apps available which are really easy to integrate into your store and help give you more features.
  • I wanted to open another store selling party accessories and it would have been nice if there are discounts available for opening more stores.
  • It would be great to see a few more options for free themes.
If you're looking for a platform that allows you to build a professional online store then I really recommend BigCommerce. Its really easy to add products, customise purchasing options and their reporting features allowed you to understand interesting buying patterns such as popular items and recorded search queries in your store which I regular looked at to make sure I was stocking in-demand items. The interface is easy to use and their support/customer service is excellent.
Read Libby Herbert's full review
Jason Housenbold profile photo
November 01, 2019

I like BigCommerce

BigCommerce is being used to host both our general information web pages as well as our e-commerce sales platform. It is currently managed by our e-commerce specialist. We have an outsourced team the managers the design and product fees provided by our primary vendor. This specialist also manages our Amazon store as well.
  • Site design templates provide many ways to customize your site.
  • Back end enables easy viewing of order status as well as offering your store a multitude of settings to ensure your processes are just the way you want them.
  • Add ins provide extra functional to your web store. We use a data feed add in which allows us to upload over 30,000 product quickly and adjust pricing, availability, and other attributes of our inventory.
  • Customizing order status and sending customized emails based on that status could be better implemented. When we have to relay information to a customer, having an email trigger by changing the order status would better enable us to quickly avoid customer service snafus.
  • Add ins don’t always install properly and it takes additional effort or a call to either BigCommerce or the add in vendors support line.
We mostly dropship and we’ve used other platforms that have integrated with our vendors back end and would provide real time inventory status across 7 DCs. We currently do not have that functionality and can live without it, but it a great way to let your customers know if the product they are tested in is available.
Read Jason Housenbold's full review
Sandra Bell profile photo
To sell sports equipment to United States and Canada. We are a small family business that builds tennis courts and tracks as well as sell tennis court maintenance equipment. In 2005, we were only building and selling to a four state area, I suggested building a website to expand our selling base to the entire United States.
  • Tech support is excellent. And they are nice! No question is too small.
  • Offers a good variety of choices for website presentation
  • Offers free sales tax integration...this is huge for me
  • Haven't had a lot of success with the search content when I have a specific problem. You have to go thru whole article or listen to whole video and then most times my question is still not answered. Most times now I do not even bother. Just call tech support.
  • I find it hard to add colors or sizes or multiple options to a product. Still haven't figured it out. And that is huge for me. Need something easier to understand or more intuitive.
  • Hard to arrange products under classifications in the order you want or if you want to change. Sometimes have to go back and rearrange a whole classification one product at a time if you want to feature it.
  • You need a place where you can record tasks...ie promotion for October on tennis posts...when promotion is over either BigCommerce reminds you or it automatically removes promotion from product.
If you want your website front page presentation to be pre programmed for you, BigCommerce is good. But we want to use specific colors and layouts and unless you know code (and have a lot of time) or want to spend a ton of money paying someone else to do, you can't have what you want. I want to upgrade to Stencil BUT I want my website set up the way it is AND I do not want to lose any of my back links thru my SEO and Google AD words.
Read Sandra Bell's full review
Sachin Pawa profile photo
We use it to offer all our marketplace SKUs on one site. Our main concern was how to offer our full catalog which is being sold on 20 different marketplaces on one site. We connected our catalog feed to BigCommerce and now we only refer to Bigcommerce to see all out products.
  • The apps Marketplace at BigCommerce is great, you do not have to be experts or know coding. You can use some top of the line apps which are used by big companies (fortune 500) on your own store.
  • Marketing and Coupon module is excellent. I think any one can set up coupons in 10 minutes or less and increase conversion rate by 100% to say the least.
  • Payment options is another great feature, you can offer almost all payment options thus eliminating any checkout friction. Most payment modules are so well integrated that you can do all online without speaking to any one on phone. It is not like 1990's when getting merchant account was 1 week process and massive paper work.
  • Having a better inventory and channel manager.
  • More tools and/or integration with Search Console, Merchant Center and other SEO apps.
  • Cross Border sales assistance.
It is very well suited (on pro plan) for stores with large catalog and who only have 1-2 people team to manage digital distribution.

It lacks in channel management and more marketplace integrations.
Read Sachin Pawa's full review
Myles Fleming profile photo
BigCommerce is the platform our website is built on.
  • Customizable optimized checkout.
  • Responsive customer service team.
  • Fast and easy to use APIs.
  • Multi-inventory.
BigCommerce strengths are: it checkout and very fast APIs, extremely easy to connect Google analytics and ads, Facebook Pixel and ads as well as leading email platforms. The critical missing piece at the moment is multi-inventory, however, this is nearing beta so it may be resolved soon. Recommended for medium to large businesses.
Read Myles Fleming's full review
Diane Simon profile photo
I use BigCommerce to administer my online retail website.
  • Intuitive software makes it easy to do most work yourself.
  • 24/7 support
  • Doing things without taking consideration of their results seems to be an ongoing problem having a Canadian website. Most recently, the first mandated change affecting the checkout process and printing invoices in CAD resulted in the loss of many sales as I hardly had any US orders for several weeks (compared to the normal rate of 60% of all orders). Then BigC changed it back again to what it was before and a few weeks later changed it yet again. At least this time, there were no dire consequences but it would be good if you could give advance notice of these kinds of things or at least a notification that the change has taken place.
I like BigCommerce but would let others know the problems I've experienced even when recommending to someone else.
Read Diane Simon's full review
Maureen Murphy profile photo
New Knowledge Library publishes spiritual books by one author, Marshall Vian Summers. Big Commerce is behind our storefront.
  • Technical support is where I sing their praises. It is excellent. When I first started New Knowledge Library using Big Commerce, I had very little training. The tech support staff at Big Commerce was always there for me to get me up to speed.
  • Courteous, polite and knowledgeable. They have always spent whatever time it takes to problem solve. If an immediate solution was not obvious, they have always followed up in a timely manner.
  • Availability/response time, reliability. Knowing that within minutes I can get a tech support person to speak with me and one who knows what they are doing is incredibly stress-relieving. Response time is within minutes. Tech support at a publishing company we use regularly pales in comparison.
  • There is always a question asking this question after each phone call. I'm sure this approach catches anything that might need to be tweaked. Personally, I have no "cons" to report, but I know that if I did, they would respond to it quickly and follow up.
My most recent interaction involved my response to new tax laws in Colorado. I did not know how best to up the NKL store to meet these new requirements. In my mind this task seemed quite complex, however, a tech person was able to assist me. He explained to me that I didn't need to input every zip code into the system but could use an asterisk behind the first 3 numbers. He made what I thought was going to be complex and time consuming into something that was quite simple. There is also a Plan B with Avalara when we need to upgrade when our sales reach a Nexus point. That is comforting and stress-relieving.
Read Maureen Murphy's full review
Kevin Bartholomew profile photo
We use BigCommerce to run our entire company website and online store. It is easy to add products and integrates very well with other third-party services for the few features it does not include.
  • Getting up and running in a very short amount of time
  • Hundreds of easily customized templates
  • Inventory management
  • Integration with just about everything
  • Some basic features such as advertising banners require a third party service.
  • The built in search engine is basic and not configurable, this is an issue if your SKU from different suppliers follow a different format.
Small company websites
Read Kevin Bartholomew's full review

Product catalog & listings (272)
Product management (269)
Bulk product upload (205)
Branding (240)
Mobile storefront (265)
Product variations (260)
Website integration (229)
Visual customization (266)
CMS (189)
Abandoned cart recovery (241)
Checkout user experience (263)
eCommerce security (263)
9.7
Promotions & discounts (252)
Personalized recommendations (204)
Inventory management (222)
Shipping (228)
Custom functionality (228)

About BigCommerce

According to the vendor, BigCommerce is one of the leading cloud ecommerce platforms for established and rapidly-growing businesses. Combining enterprise functionality, an open architecture and app ecosystem, and market-leading performance, BigCommerce aims to help businesses to grow online sales with less cost, time, and complexity than on-premise software. BigCommerce powers B2B and B2C ecommerce for more than 60,000 brands, 2,000+ mid-market businesses, 30 Fortune 1000 companies, and industry-leading brands, including Assurant, Ben & Jerry’s, Paul Mitchell, Skullcandy, Sony, and Toyota.

The vendor says that the product provides the following benefits to customers:

Customize and innovate at a lower total cost of ownership
Build in HTML, CSS, and Javascript
96% of brands relaunch in 2-4 months
Test and push changes without downtime in a local environment

Focus on generating sales, less on monitoring security & performance
PCI DSS 3.2 certified at Level 1
99.99% median uptime
Multiple layers of security through the Google Cloud Platform

Leverage your existing tech stack with flexible APIs
90% of platform data is exposed to APIs
400+ API calls per second
Headless commerce out-of-the-box, across any front-end

Solve your toughest challenges with SaaS
B2B, Wholesale