BigCommerce Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Katie Rose Alford | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 27, 2020

BigCommerce gave us Big Online Sales! Best E Commerce Platform!

Our company wanted an online platform to sell our product. Big Commerce came to the rescue! I had absolutely no experience with website building, SEO, etc and this platform made it so easy, our sales have grown drastically every year. Thank you BC!
  • Excellent at SEO and Organic search results works with a variety of SE and made it so easy to integrate with other large platforms such as Amazon, FB, etc.
  • Easy to customize with Wordpress and it walks you through the steps. Online Selling made easy by BC!
  • Their support staff is excellent and allows you to integrate live quotes from various shippers, set up where you want to sell, integrate Google ads, etc.
  • I would like to see a promo code for products that allows you to combine quantities form the same product group for discounted pricing.
  • The ability to see if a guest account has ordered before if possible?
  • Honestly this platform is incredible.
Well suited for any company that needs an online store to sell products with a checkout page. I would not recommend for a store simply with just a contact page. If you need to be able to allow your product to be customized and/or purchased online this is the right platform for you!
Read Katie Rose Alford's full review
Peggy Steffens | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 18, 2019

A new view. New to eCommerce platforms.

We use BigCommerce to manage our website. We have a couple of employees no longer with us, which left learning the program up to myself and my IT person. We only sell some products online so it is a very huge benefit to have tutorials and a help center to address concerns. Sometimes it's simply updating a product image or verbiage, adding new products, or removing older products. Other times we have to revamp and update entire sections or add sections. Our social media team works on with IT for those. Recently we had a popup that I didn't know where it came from and how to adjust it. BigCommerce provides tools to make this process pretty easy. I have never done this before so maneuvering has been a challenge that I feel capable of now. There are many more tools available to me that I still need to learn about to get the full benefit.
  • Orders are readily available with all pertinent information. Multiple search options make any one customer easy to find. Customer accounts can also easily be adjusted when necessary for changes after being placed, but before being charged. Sometimes customers don't realize there is an error until they review the email received after ordering and then it's a hassle. Big Commerce eliminates that hassle.
  • Website product adjustments and updates are pretty simple. The system is easy to upload images to, add info or even shut off viewing until the product is ready.
  • We have multiple websites for different products and having the ability to personalize them individually is great. Different themes and setups are necessary and made available by BigCommerce.
  • My main struggle has been with multiple sites sharing data to the same web page. We had a popup that we didn't know where it came from, it took many moons to figure it out. Turns out it was another site. I don't know if there is anyway for BigCommerce to know that because we tried several fixes and found it on another site's 'popup' feature.
  • We do have a different site that manages the reviews on our web page. So that feature is not utilized.
  • Free Shipping is an option to turn on or off for each product. It would be nice if that feature had more options (like the coupon codes do). Maybe we could have free shipping on domestic packages, but not out of the country since fees are extremely different.
I do not know how to code, so the info available here has been very useful and helpful and easy to learn and use given my lack of knowledge. If you were well-versed in coding and could write your own web page I imagine you wouldn't need it. That is not the case here. I still feel that it would make adding data so much easier even if you could do it all yourself. The reports and data compiled also seem easy to access without having to set up spreadsheets and compile data.
Read Peggy Steffens's full review
Darcy Knapp, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 17, 2019

BigCommerce is the best eCommerce solution for real e-stores if you want to succeed

BigCommerce facilitates our ecommerce store. We retail a full line of automotive key control products and have been selling online for appx 9 years. We switched to BigCommerce to get more versatility and better optimization for our product line. We also build, manage and optimize BigCommerce stores for clients.
  • Fast load time of site platform on all devices
  • Easy Inventory Management
  • New Variations tools are much faster for data loading
  • Fully accessible meta data for categories, inventory, pages and posts for optimization
  • Convenient built in blog for adding content
  • Platform is easy to train on, we use webex to train clients on their back end management of their stores
  • Multiple Payment options encourage more sales
  • Amazon integration, Google Shopping integration, eBay integration
  • Need to be able to add tracking information to customer order
  • Would like shipping alert to be editable to include tracking number
  • Need more of a WIZWIG editor or theme options that do not require coding, most clients cannot handle the areas of the platform that require html skills to edit
Great for start up or established ecommerce business. For the same price as basic Shopify store you get a full featured store with BigCommerce. We also build a lot of WordPress stores for startups, most migrate to BigCommerce as their revenues grow. For small stores 1-4 products, a Wordpress starting point is more affordable (free ecomm plugins) but when you are ready to make your store a business, you need a full functioning store with the capabilities to integrate with 3rd party shipping and selling platforms.
Read Darcy Knapp, MBA's full review
brenda wilson | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 16, 2019

Little company wins big with BigCommerce

We selected BigCommerce as our e-commerce platform to launch our online retail boutique. It serves are our interface between our customers and our products. We use it to manage our business on the back end as well: tracking inventory, managing orders, issuing refunds, etc. The BigCommerce platform is ideal for us as it has so many built-in tools to help with our business.
  • Very detailed product description options allows us to showcase our products one-by-one. The multiple options to customize how you can showcase your product is extremely helpful.
  • The back-end user home page is the "control center" for managing all incoming orders. It has numerous ways to interact with your orders and communicate with your customers.
  • The back-end "control center" allows you to manage your products by category, brand, color, etc. When you have 1000's of products, trying to find it without "professional" skus can be challenging. BC allows you to search with just words.
  • When I add new inventory to a particular product, how do I then know what I started with originally? I don't know how many of a particular product I sold if I re-order and then "up" the inventory.
  • I find it impossible to do my taxes in a simple, streamlined way. I don't actually know the COGS or the profit at the end of the year.
We find BigCommerce to be the ideal e-commerce platform for our business. When we were researching suitable solutions, BigCommerce ticked all our boxes. We haven't had a single problem that couldn't be addressed by their amazing internal support team. We are a small business but BigCommerce can very easily grow with us. The platform is amazing in how easy it is to learn. And, if you can't figure it out, just chat with their team online and they will show you exactly how to do something.
Read brenda wilson's full review
Matthew Walker | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 31, 2019

Inexperienced Online Seller Learns BigCommerce

I use BigCommerce to run my daily selling operations across three channels and is the main platform for my business. The integrations and support have proven to be a great resource in growing and maintaining my business. It has helped me get over the intimidating prospect of building and maintaining a website.
  • Their customer support is excellent. They always have an answer to any technical issues I experience.
  • Integrating sales channels like eBay and Amazon was easy and you can manage them right from your BigCommerce dashboard.
  • They offer a variety of website templates that can meet most eCommerce website needs.
  • The admin dashboard is pretty advanced for someone who has never had experience operating an eCommerce platform.
  • Certain templates don't work with payment gateways.
  • Monthly prices seem a little high for limited features.
For the well-seasoned online seller, BigCommerce offers the tools and apps necessary to be successful. Payment gateway integration is easy and BigCommerce doesn't charge additional fees like other platforms. They have a number of free apps that can take care of sales tax for you as well as discounted merchant rates. For the experienced seller looking to for a platform that doesn't nickel and dime everything you do, it's the perfect platform. For the inexperienced "hobby" seller, it will be a bit of a challenge learning the ins and outs of BigCommerce.
Read Matthew Walker's full review
Asher Hoffman | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 23, 2019

BigCommerce is the perfect solution for a small to medium-sized online retailers

BigCommerce is used by our company to manage our wholesale side of the business. We utilize the system from start to finish (order placing to fulfillment). It does a great job of segmenting out the different types of wholesale customers using the customer groups option. This addressed the problem of managing different types of pricing variations as well as other factors we can now customize depending on the customer group.
  • Easy store builder that allows you to create simple and clean online marketplaces.
  • Great analytics and reporting features.
  • Tech support is mostly helpful and I'm very happy with the option for live chat.
  • In the Orders page, it would be great to sort by customer group.
  • I'd like to see the ability to add "ship by" or "deliver by" date option for those not wanting immediate shipments or deliveries.
  • Daily or weekly automatic reports that can be customized and scheduled.
For small to medium-sized businesses, BigCommerce is a great solution to so many problems. It allows for scalable growth and features incredible customizability. It was exactly what our company needed when we outgrew our previous method for managing wholesale clients. I would highly recommend it to my colleagues.
Read Asher Hoffman's full review
Mark Linkhorst | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 22, 2019

Follow Up BigCommerce Review

BigCommerce is our web solution for an e-commerce website. It is the backbone of this operation and has been a huge improvement from Squarespace which was where our shop resided prior to the transition to BigCommerce. At this point, we use BigCommerce and applications associated with it like Shipstation which handles our fulfillment and logistics side of the operation which allows us to quickly pack and ship orders we ship with USPS thru our Stamps.com account that is connected to Shipstation for postage.

Beyond this, we've recently incorporated Eye4Fraud Application which offers services to allow us to process more orders that we may not have accepted without their insurance against fraud on the orders they approve. Having more eyes looking at our transactions for fraud is piece of mind and this application has cut back on the amount of declined orders which led to increased back and forth with customers as to why their transactions failed. International orders were problematic for individuals running their credit card multiple times with money hanging between them and their bank for days until the banks put the declined funds back on the customer's account. It allows us to process more orders we may have otherwise declined.
  • Organization of Orders
  • Organization of Products
  • Easy to use interface that can be changed with different templates and layouts.
  • BigCommerce prices their products on your yearly sales, so they help you with a lower cost if you are small and increase the price as you grow and succeed.
  • BigCommerce has great support that is available most times when you need them via chat almost instantly.
  • I've had an ongoing issue using FireFox as a browser where the Shipstation application will not launch, so I'm forced to use Safari to process the logistical side of things. It's worked out for the better in some ways as I can review other details in Firefox like looking for previous orders from the same customer while working simultaneously with Safari to generate a shipping label. Having better support to help me fix the Firefox issue would be appreciated rather than blaming Firefox for the problem.
  • At one point there were changes made on the backend of BigCommerce that the template we were using no longer supported. BigCommerce engineers helped with the transition however we can't manipulate the (Custom) option sets they created as they don't appear under our options or option sets. This means we have to create new ones ourselves if/when we want to manipulate the fields. So their fix isn't really a total fix, more like a band aid.
  • From time to time the statistics stop working or are delayed, that's really the only ongoing issue which occurs sporadically.
If you are looking for a one-stop-shop for an e-commerce website, then look to BigCommerce for a solution which you can build yourself without knowing how to code. You may need to copy and paste some scripts to get bells and whistles incorporated into your website and if you can't figure it out yourself, the BigCommerce support team is right there to help you via chat whenever you need them. If you have a super small shop with only a few items, BigCommerce may be overkill but if you plan to grow your product offerings, then it may be worth considering.
Read Mark Linkhorst's full review
Jeanna Haag | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 14, 2020

Awesome E-Commerce Building Tool

We are using BigCommerce to launch our new website. Our current website is out of date and we like the framework of BigCommerce. The website is a much needed asset for our company and we are working to get more of our customers using the new website. We will be marketing it once we launch the website in January.
  • It is easy to customize the templates provided as long as you know CSS and HTML. I've done a lot of customization for our website to really help it stand out.
  • BigCommerce offers a lot of things that are considered add-ons on places like Shopify where you have to pay extra for them.
  • The main thing that I know many people including myself have asked for are one time art charges as an option.
  • At first it seemed like there were not many apps, but more are being added. I would suggest to continue to add more in the future.
I think BigCommerce can easily work for any company wanting to sell products. Not only are there several options built into it, but you can also get apps for anything not already available. There are also partners who can do custom coding for you for an additional fee and the boards are a great place to get answers.
Read Jeanna Haag's full review
Stephen Oostdyk | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 18, 2019

Big Difference and Big Improvements through BigCommerce

We are a small business which sells our niche products exclusively online. We use BigCommerce (BC) as our web hosting service. Our BC page integrates with our shipping utility as well so orders are easily processed and shipped. BC is used across our whole organization. We don't really have departments. We're so small that almost everything is handled by me. Using BC has addressed problems with SEO that we've had prior to using BC. It has helped the shipping process run much more smoothly and efficiently. BC has provided what I think are nice-looking web page templates that help welcome visitors and make it easier for them to order. I am not a web developer, so with BC, I've been able to accomplish what I set out to do, with flexibility to user-friendly modification selections.
  • BigCommerce offers a wide variety of page theme templates which look nice. This makes our small business have a professional looking online presence without requiring me to be a web developer.
  • BigCommerce offers a variety of apps that are created by other companies that can be easily added and integrated on our page. For example, ShipStation which when you install, configures correctly with my page without a ton of configuration on my side. This saves time and helps me accomplish my goals of being able to ship efficiently.
  • BigCommerce has some behind-the-scenes magic that has helped my page rank to the top on Google and other search engines, without my having to do very much at all. I don't have to pay for SEO services.
  • There are some limitations to the theme templates as to what can be changed. For example, I want my Categories menu, which appears as a sidebar for desktop customers, to display at the bottom of the page for mobile customers. There's not an option for that in the template I'm using. I can probably do it by making customization to the code, but, I am not a web developer and I don't know how to do that. Mobile customers don't see it unless they somehow magically know they have to touch the button in the top left corner. I will need to create a Categories page that mobile customers can see by touching on the welcome carousel.
  • The products consistently appear too large for my tastes, in particular, on tablets. One product image takes up almost the whole screen on a tablet. The user will magically have to know that they need to scroll down to add to cart or to view the description of the product. This kind of drives me nuts.
  • The Search function, for me, is useless, and I might even say in many cases it returns the wrong products based on what my customers are searching for. There is little to no options for configuring it to select exact or phrase match results only, or, to only return results based on the product descriptions and not names of categories or pages on my site that mentions a particular word. I wish I could control exactly what it would look for. There are search apps but none of them work well for my site. Just yesterday I learned how to remove the Search completely, which is what I did successfully.
  • There is a Bulk Edit feature where you can edit multiple items at once, such as product names or prices, but it is limited. I often do have to drill in and out of each product when I make universal updates, which can take a long time.
  • I wish it had much greater flexibility for options in the checkout process. It's kind of clunky and slow in my opinion. I haven't found an app that I could use to replace the checkout module. I think it may partially depend on the template you use. I'd like my customer to have the option of buying now, to begin checking out rather than having to go to cart first.
I think BigCommerce is well suited for a small business selling products on their web page. It's well suited for individuals like me who have little web development ability. It doesn't give complete flexibility and options, but it's definitely a good start to help you accomplish the most important basic goals.
Read Stephen Oostdyk's full review
Jennifer Mileli | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 31, 2020

Great for simple storefronts

I run an online business, so BigCommerce is my selling platform.
  • I love the simplicity of the website and inventory.
  • Being able to run sales and coupons is great and very easy.
  • Customer accounts and logging in could be easier.
  • The graphics for the storefront banner are difficult to manage.
It is easy to use, and I haven't had any problems with inventory, customers, shipping, etc. Coupons and running sales are easy to do as well. The customer support chat is always available and helpful. I have used other sales platforms, and they were not as user-friendly as BigCommerce.
Read Jennifer Mileli's full review
Jack Bendrihem | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 26, 2020

SUPER Big E-Commerce at affordable prices

We use Big Commerce to sell our broad range of customer print products that are primarily paper-based; brochures, posters, postcards, etc. We use it as an extension of our business, and it is not our primary income generator. The biggest advantage of having BigCommerce is that when customers need pricing on a range of various products, we simply direct them to our site. For example, if a customer needs a brochure/pamphlet printed and they require folding, the system will illustrate the fold based on their choice. It's very cool.
  • Their live chat help is very, well, HELPFUL. They simply DO NOT re-direct us to an FAQ page....they help us solve problems. And if by chance they cannot help, then they escalate the issue to those with more technical savvy. By helping us, they are also helping themselves. Our problems are their opportunities for improvement.
  • Sometimes it is too difficult and too time-consuming to resolve an issue over chat. It's also frustrating. At some point during an arduous chat, the operator should offer up the option to discuss over the phone.
  • BigCommerce gives us a wonderful platform by which we can offer our products, and that's all good and fine, but reaching a market is another task in itself. They have gained my trust as a loyal customer, and it would be great if they could also help my business grow by offering SEO/marketing services.
BigCommerce is well suited for those selling products, but a bit more difficult when it comes to companies like mine that are trying to sell printing.
Read Jack Bendrihem's full review
Carlos Chanlatte | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 22, 2020

Great eCommerce solution with very little issues.

BigCommerce is currently being used to handle our entire eCommerce platform; therefore, our entire company utilizes this service throughout our organization. As a product/service, BigCommerce allows us to handle the eCommerce aspects of our business with a simple and effective solution. BigCommerce also allows us to easily expand our operation whenever needed with many available integration options.
  • Speed of eCommerce site
  • Amount of third-party integration options
  • Pricing could be more competitive
  • Some third-party integrations do not work as well as expected (could party be due to third-party developer)
BigCommerce should truly fit almost all businesses that are looking to implement an eCommerce solution. I would highly recommend it for anyone that is looking for an alternative to WordPress/Woocommerce, since that solutions always seems to fall far behind in regards to site speed when compared to BigCommerce. BigCommerce is also a great solution for anyone looking to manage their eCommerce solution with a very user-friendly interface.

There are some instances in which solutions such as Shopify may be better when factoring in the cost of the solution. BigCommerce does offer some great plans; however, there are instances in which you have to upgrade to a higher plan if you just want one small feature that the other plan offers since there is no option to add individual features a la carte.
Read Carlos Chanlatte's full review
Anne M Bracker | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 08, 2020

Using BigCommerce means Big Sales

BigCommerce handles all of our eCommerce needs. We've been using it for almost 2 years and it seems like I continue to find new and better ways to do something my old website struggled with. We're a small company, so I'm the primary backend user, but we have hundreds of customers who use the website to place orders as well as get pricing for purchase orders issued by their school or company.
  • Answers to BigCommerce questions are only a chat or phone call away. I've received excellent customer service whenever I reach out.
  • Integration with extensions (or apps) that extend the functionality of your site. For example, we implemented ShipperHQ from the start. The standard shipping built into BigCommerce is good, but we needed the ability to offer deliveries in our own truck and freight deliveries in addition to the standard UPS and USPS shipping options. ShipperHQ works seamlessly with BigCommerce to provide those specialized services.
  • I use AvaTax for sales tax solutions. I don't know if this is a BigCommerce issue or an AvaTax issue. Since we're a brick-and-mortar store who offers a website, we need to be able to tie sales tax calculation to the location of the sale. That means if a customer comes to our store to pick up an order, they are charged our local sales tax. If a customer prefers to get the order shipped to them, then the sales tax rate at their location needs to be charged. This is something where selecting "pick up at store" should override the shipping address the customer entered for themselves, but there hasn't been a good solution yet.
  • I'd like more options for coupons/promotions/marketing. For example, it'd be nice to have a promotion that says if you spend $250 during December, or buy a certain high dollar item, you get a coupon code for 10% off or $50 off to use in January. This would encourage repeat business.
It's a great eCommerce platform that can grow with your business. I've recommended it to friendly competitors, some of our vendors, and even customers (artists who make pottery for sale).
Read Anne M Bracker's full review
John Schiff | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 07, 2020

BigCommerce is a Good Solution for Us, for Now.

BigCommerce is one of a number of e-commerce revenue channels we pursue. Our organization is e-commerce based so BigCommerce is one element of that. Our products are primarily one-of-kind legacy technology pieces, such as laboratory equipment and, discontinued industrial spare parts. These ‘long-tail’ items require exposure through many different sales channels. BigCommerce provides us the platform for one of those channels.
  • SEO
  • Plugins
  • CSV imports
  • In-depth support with our IT person: sometimes it appears to border on condensation. Not good. Not professional.
  • We can’t get the Wordpress API to work. Appears that there’s not much real support behind it for small businesses. Disappointing since you’re flogging it as a real solution.
  • Shopify is going to eat your lunch if you don’t continually add value to your customers. I haven’t seen any real big changes to the platform in all the years we’ve been using it. You better wake up. I’m not the only one that’s looking at them.
Good for mature e-commerce businesses looking for a hosted platform.
Read John Schiff's full review
Dana Marie Bontrager | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 07, 2020

A Robust and Fresh Platform

BigCommerce is used to bring our products to the world. Its ease of use allows up to keep up to date with product offerings. The integration with other platforms is quite seamless.
  • Staying on top of updates and changes.
  • Customer service and help are quick and efficient.
  • Constantly improving their platform.
  • Listening to end-users to improve.
  • Cart level discounts are a bit clunky and overlap with other sales.
  • Setting up products can be tedious.
  • No ability to sell in increments other that 1-2-3 (no decimal place availability).
Fairly easy to use and robust. Not great if you sell increments (like fabrics where a consumer will want to order 1.5 yards).
Read Dana Marie Bontrager's full review
Bill Heyman | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 30, 2019

Sophisticated structure that helps our business grow

BigCommerce provides us with our online shopping platform. I am both the owner/CEO and Webmaster. We've been on the web since the beginning and moving to BigCommerce was the best decision we ever made.
  • Technical online excellence with 99.9999% uptime.
  • Platform structure that makes it easy to run my business - and not the website!
  • When first starting, Options and Option Sets were confusing but now I've mastered that with the help of tech support in Austin.
Having been on the web since the beginning, doing all of my own codings, I find that my hands-on background served me well so that I now use the extensive and sophisticated structure offered by BigCommerce and am able to customize it to suit my needs.
Read Bill Heyman's full review
Charles Luley | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 28, 2019

Why I switched to BigCommerce

There are certain products in our mix that lend themselves to online selling. So we created an online store specifically for those products since the purchasing decisions are often made outside our call pattern. We started with another well-known online host over two years ago, however, they did not understand our industry and posed limitations on what we could list. BigCommerce has made it easy for us to properly list our products, provides an excellent app for our eBay gateway, and provides an excellent, seamless shipping application. The help chat is very good, and they are able to resolve all issues that I may have.
  • Communicates with users via monthly webinars with updates and future plans.
  • Flexible options for product, order and customer listings as well as for checkout and payments.
  • Need a more robust product quote app selection for customers to request a product quote from the product listing. Also needs to provide the option of the user to create a separate product quote to the customer.
  • The product bulk editor is great, however, it would be nice to have a pull-down menu that is populated with additional editing solutions.
I have already recommended BigCommerce to colleagues. It is well suited for small businesses as well as large businesses. The theme selections are good (I use the BigCommerce Cornerstone theme) and allow for very creative designs. For me, the BigCommerce Shipping app is very useful as it automatically integrates all orders, prints the labels, allows for shipper selection and automatically notifies the customer of tracking information. I cannot think of a scenario where BigCommerce would not be appropriate.
Read Charles Luley's full review
Timothy Breen | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 14, 2019

BigCommerce makes it easy to generate BIG commerce!

BigCommerce is being used across the entire company. We have built an online retail storefront using BigCommerce and the Venture Warm theme. It made it easy for us to create an online store, process credit cards online, manage inventory, connect with Google's Shopping campaigns, and connect with Amazon. I am very happy with the functionality that BigCommerce provides.
  • BigCommerce's user-friendly software makes it very easy to build an online storefront.
  • BigCommerce makes it very easy to process credit cards online through PayPal's Braintree interface.
  • I am disappointed with the Venture Warm storefront theme. I was recently trying to figure out how to change the main image based on the color option a customer chooses. I was told that the theme doesn't have that functionality. Instead, customers have to click on a box that says "preview variant" which is an awkward extra step.
  • Would like more options to customize my storefront's appearance without having to write the HTML myself. For example, changing the logo size on my storefront is difficult with the limited options given through the theme.
I think BigCommerce is an excellent tool for online retailers of consumer products. I don't see that it would be as beneficial to sellers of online services or B2B businesses, but I could be wrong. The functionality seems to be designed for online retailers of tangible products.
Read Timothy Breen's full review
R. Robin Esterhammer | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 13, 2019

BigCommerce: The Easiest Online Store Solution You Can Get

I use BigCommerce for our online store where we sell mainly CDs and film posters, as well as other entertainment memorabilia. I am the only user who does everything from design to shipping (it's a small company). I love how easy it is to put in new products, sort them, get paid, and ship them. BigCommerce is the easiest online store program I have ever used.
  • Listing products: easy and fast.
  • Receiving payment: safe, secure and effortless.
  • Giving partial payment refunds doesn't always work (sending refund via Paypal, not giving store credit).
  • I never get notified when someone leaves a notification with their order. Why is that?
Shipping orders is very easy and fun because it can be done so effortlessly. Everything is on one page and I can do anything from printing a packing slip to refunding some or all of the money.
Read R. Robin Esterhammer's full review
Huntz Colburn | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2019

Honest opinion working as an eCommerce agency.

We use it as platform of choice for our clients.
  • Product feeds and marketing
  • Managing large catalogs for import export
  • Managing complex designs easily without developers
  • Nuances with product uploads and options sets
Great for medium businesses that are starting to breakout and need a robust platform to scale marketing and revenue without large development costs.
Read Huntz Colburn's full review
Kevin Nicusanti | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 04, 2019

Disappointed owner, expected a lot more from a leading platform

BigCommerce hosts e-commerce for my website, venttabs.com. It also serves as the diagnostic tool and provides metrics on web sales/customer service performance. It also provides a blog vehicle and a link to social media services. BC provides technical assistance on an as-needed basis, including technical performance issues, some SEO advice but, limited.
  • Presentation of the website and brand
  • Easy to read metrics/analytics
  • Easy to change product pages
  • Easy to change pricing changes
  • Page load speed issues , costing my business huge decrease in conversion rates Q4-19.
  • Very inconsistent technical service at level 1 , sometimes expert sometimes just reading me web site answers in FAQ style.
  • Very difficult to manage templates.
  • Most small changes require html developer which adds significant costs.
  • Unaware of ability to downgrade service after severe fall off in volume, increased cost $170/month since early 2019.
Seems to perform the function as an e-commerce host. Poor/inappropriate service in most technical issues.
Read Kevin Nicusanti's full review
Daniel Shtarkman | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 29, 2019

BigCommerce Review

BigCommerce is being used across the whole organization. It addresses problems such as inventory management, shipping and fulfillment issues as well as organizing analytics all into one easy to use platform. They've done a great job of simplifying the eCommerce experience for users. The easy to use platform allows business owners to scale as they go. BigCommerce has enabled my business to grow year after year.
  • Shipping.
  • Analytics.
  • Order management.
  • The BigcCommerce mobile app needs more work, it is not something I can use for everything.
BigCommerce is well suited to take on new eCommerce businesses as well as existing ones. Overall, the platform is great - but it does need to compete with Shopify. In order to do that, they need to have a smoother integration with a variety of apps. I also feel that they need to work on getting more useful apps over to this platform.
Read Daniel Shtarkman's full review
Steven R Beekhuizen | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 29, 2019

BigCommerce drives our business growth

We use this as the entire business entry platform for our business. This includes our own website, interface to eBay and other selling sights. All inventory management and front end to all other financial, tax, and shipping functions. Before Big Commerce, we only sold on e-Bay, but their systems were poor at best. We sell high volumes of products with an ever-changing inventory and this required us to use Turbo Lister for bulk product loads, then we had a purchase a third party Excel-based system called Auction Tracker which was difficult to use and very time consuming to maintain. We had a website that was informational only and given the fact that we were a start-up, it was very expensive to set a commercial website. BigCommerce pulled all those functions together for us. We have a commercial website, a good interface to selling platforms like e-Bay, great and easy inventory management systems, good tax support, and good data retrieval.
  • Ease of set up of website and great support behind the scenes to support after startup.
  • Good inventory management system.
  • Ease of use to maintain website.
  • I have a lot of customers that are not really internet savvy, so they will call for information or discuss items and then will give me an order. BC has a draft order system, but the link to the order so the customer can pay is way too long and cumbersome for people who are not internet savvy. Needs some work.
  • I like to understand my inventory costs at all times and the only way I can get an inventory total is a download to Excel all the items and add them up. Big miss here.
  • An inventory order system based on recent sales vs. actual inventory would be very helpful. We have about 30 vendors and sorting thru all that is tedious and time-consuming.
The toy and model internet retail business is highly fragmented and typically run by small entrepreneurs that are not necessarily tech-savvy. BigCommerce has been a big help here and would benefit a lot of businesses like mine. I have actually recommended and shown my system to several friends and competitors. I've also had discussions with other small business owners who have talked about website needs.
Read Steven R Beekhuizen's full review
Johan Watson | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 26, 2019

BigCommerce the Pros and Cons....I made a mistake by selecting BigCommerce

We use BigCommerce as our online retail platform.
  • BigCommerce is an easy platform to use.
  • BigCommerce comes with apps that a person can use for marketing and all other things.
  • BigCommerce needs to get decent themes. The company lacks in this area, and cannot compare against Shopify. If a person looks at the themes that Out of a Sandbox and Pixel Union design for Shopify, a user can then understand why Shopify is rated the number 1 E-commerce platform. BigCommerce made news with Pixel Union, that they will design brilliant themes for BigCommerce's platform. About a year later, it seems that Pixel Union is not really interested anymore in the BigCommerce business after designing a few themes.
  • BigCommerce also lacks a lot and is far behind other shopping carts when it comes to SEO.
  • The BigCommerce product option app is very basic and is only good enough for a chicken farmer in Zimbabwe, as it can only do very basic stuff.
  • BigCommerce, previously known as Interspire, lacks a lot of good international apps that can be used internationally. This Aussie platform only caters to the US most of the time.
  • Payment gateways. Again, if you are in the US this platform is okay, but for the rest of the world it lacks good payment gateways, like for South Africa.
BigCommerce is a good platform if you want to do basic stuff and are selling a few items. If you want to run a decent shop and want to have the latest apps and the best integrations with themes, then Shopify is the answer.
Read Johan Watson's full review
Gretchen Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 24, 2019

Excellent Website Platform and Technical Support

We have used BigCommerce for our magazine business, including integration with shipping partners. We have been able to manipulate the template to meet our needs for 3rd-party links to our subscription fulfillment system, etc. It has been extremely flexible and useful in meeting all our needs.
  • The system is very user-friendly, and it took no time at all for us to be comfortable with using it.
  • The Big Commerce technical support is outstanding; they are available 24/7. I've never experienced this level of convenience and quality. It's second to none!
  • Sometimes our template has been a tad limiting, but we have worked around those instances successfully.
I think any business would find a template and functionality that would suit their needs at BigCommerce. Our subscription-based magazine model is probably one of the more challenging scenarios, and we have had success making it perform to our requirements. No problems at all!
Read Gretchen Smith's full review

Product catalog & listings (329)
Product management (326)
Bulk product upload (244)
Branding (286)
Mobile storefront (319)
Product variations (311)
Website integration (270)
Visual customization (322)
CMS (232)
Abandoned cart recovery (298)
Checkout user experience (319)
eCommerce security (319)
9.4
Promotions & discounts (303)
Personalized recommendations (248)
Inventory management (271)
Shipping (276)
Custom functionality (274)

About BigCommerce

According to the vendor, BigCommerce is one of the leading cloud ecommerce platforms for established and rapidly-growing businesses. Combining enterprise functionality, an open architecture and app ecosystem, and market-leading performance, BigCommerce aims to help businesses to grow online sales with less cost, time, and complexity than on-premise software. BigCommerce powers B2B and B2C ecommerce for more than 60,000 brands, 2,000+ mid-market businesses, 30 Fortune 1000 companies, and industry-leading brands, including Assurant, Ben & Jerry’s, Paul Mitchell, Skullcandy, Sony, and Toyota.

The vendor says that the product provides the following benefits to customers:

Customize and innovate at a lower total cost of ownership
Build in HTML, CSS, and Javascript
96% of brands relaunch in 2-4 months
Test and push changes without downtime in a local environment

Focus on generating sales, less on monitoring security & performance
PCI DSS 3.2 certified at Level 1
99.99% median uptime
Multiple layers of security through the Google Cloud Platform

Leverage your existing tech stack with flexible APIs
90% of platform data is exposed to APIs
400+ API calls per second
Headless commerce out-of-the-box, across any front-end

Solve your toughest challenges with SaaS
B2B, Wholesale