Bigcommerce is a SaaS platform that allows SMBs to develop eCommerce sites. Features include the capabilities to design the storefront, configure products, manage payments, generate traffic, and optimize conversion.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/4K/PR/JWFGT6XQZWTB.JPEGBigCommerce: Probably the Best eCommerce Software ... EverOur agency 5874 are BigCommerce, Shopify, WooCommerce accredited. However BigCommerce is proving to us and our clients time-and-time again that it is the best eCommerce platform for fast-growing and mid-market brands. The platform is easy-to-use, migrations are seamless and the cloud-based SaaS solution eliminates the hassles and costs of merchants managing a self-hosted platform, letting them focus on growing their business, with the added reassurance of PCI Level 1 compliance with automatic security updates as standard.The ongoing 24/7 support is the best we have come across in the business, as is the 99.99% uptime, with a track record of high-peak seasonality uptime ... even during Cyber Week.,Unparalleled Features Lightning Fast Rock-Solid Security Bullet-Proof Reliability Infinite SaaS Architecture Scalability Robust & Future-Proof Low Total Cost of Ownership,Designers might crave more freedom for customization Developers might take issue with the fact that it’s not open-source BigCommerce is still gaining it's reputation as being a viable options for enterprise-level eCommerce,9,Online Store Brick & Mortar Store Social Media (e.g. Facebook, Pinterest),The cost of ownership using an on-premise solution is far greater than a scalable, Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) platform. BigCommerce offer hands-on catalog transfers for merchants with existing stores. This is unique within the industry and is a major benefit of building on BigCommerce and has saved us countless hours. BigCommerce offers the right solution for merchants’ unique businesses with third-party apps and integrations, making it one of the most versatile in the market today.,Shopify and WooCommerce,Not available,BothBigCommerce from a marketing agency's perspective.BigCommerce is used as a solution for our clients. We recommend BigCommerce for clients ranging from small to enterprise level because of its scalability and pricing structure.,Product management for large catalogs Variable pricing rules,It would be nice to have the ability to attached specific digital products to individual configurations of a variable product.,10,Online Store Brick & Mortar Store Online Marketplaces (e.g. Amazon, eBay) Social Media (e.g. Facebook, Pinterest),Abandoned cart email automation for trickle campaigns. Ease of inventory and product management,Magento, WooCommerce and Magento Community Edition,$100,000 to $500,000,BothHOC Hoots About BigCommerceBigCommerce is the primary online platform for Hoot Owl Creations. We craft handmade wire crochet jewelry and sell it primarily at arts and crafts shows in the Northwest Georgia and Atlanta area. We started using BigCommerce because customers asked if we had an online store — specifically Etsy — and we wanted to be able to say yes. We used Etsy for a short period, but didn't like how it was so easy for customers to view other artists' products. By getting a BigCommerce store we're able to feature the products we regularly make, provide updates via the integrated blog, and customers are able to buy our items online. It fulfills a number of needs in one convenient package.,Creating new product postings is easier in BigCommerce than it is in Etsy. BigCommerce has an easier interface to select product categories and the like, while adding metadata, tags and other SEO necessary items is more intuitive than Etsy in our experience. Having a wide variety of free templates is a big bonus, as is the ability to edit them. Although we have dug deeper into the HTML code in the past to modify our site's appearance, the upgraded storefront editor is very useful. Changing colors in any part of the website is a breeze now and the two newest free templates are well designed, pleasing to the eye, and appropriately modern. The storefront integration with Facebook is quite useful. Being able to add the shopping feature to our company page at the click of a button was incredibly convenient. Having a blog built into the store has been beneficial in terms of driving visitors to our site. Sharing the links on social media brings people back to the Hoot Owl Creations page and, ideally, inspires them to at least look at the items we have for sale. Also, the blog allows our site to have more personality because we can express ourselves in the same area where we display our product, which gives visitors a better idea of who we are and what we do.,The help section could use additional visual aides to help navigate users through the various menus and sub-menus when they are trying to figure out where something is or how to make a change to the storefront. Sometimes it can be difficult to find things because the user interface has changed since some of the articles were written and it's organized differently. Each template needs a guide for how large the thumbnail photos are on the front page and product pages. Twice now, with different templates, I have uploaded photos only to see there are white bars on the sides or tops of my product photos with the thumbnail images. It takes some experimenting with cropping to determine what is the correct ratio. Having an easy to find pixel measurement, such as what exists for the carousel, would be a major improvement. Transparency with billing could be improved; specifically in terms of where a store falls within the sales spectrum to determine if you're in the higher or lower category. When the tier simplification was announced, we were automatically placed in the higher tier even though our sales for the previous year did not exceed even 20 items. Although we got it resolved after emailing a representative, it was concerning for us as we could not afford the higher monthly payment.,10,Online Store Social Media (e.g. Facebook, Pinterest),We have expanded our reach to markets on the both coasts and made sales we could never have made before. Sending our products to California and Louisiana was a nice surprise for a jewelry business in Northwest Georgia. We took part in the advertising beta a year or so ago and it was gratifying to see how people enjoyed the photos we used for the ads. It increased our traffic by at least threefold and proved there is a future for us online when we chose to make that shift. The return on investment has been good in a nontraditional sense. Although the website has run as a loss overall, BigCommerce has given us a great place to have our online portfolio so future customers can see what we make and where our business is going to be.,,Less than $20,000,B2CSuperior Service, Pricing & Features: BigCommerce Is A Perfect Fit For Your E-Commerce BusinessI'm a small business designer and owner, using BigCommerce as an e-commerce platform to sell the products I design and produce, which are scarves and accessories made of my art-printed custom organic fabrics. I'm the one who creates all the products, as well produce or procure all images and create the product information for my site. I chose BigCommerce after using 3 previous website set-ups; 1 custom-coded and 2 limited template sites. I ran a trial with a comepetitor concurrently, and BigCommerce was the clear winner; I was hooked. The platform made it so easy for me to quickly add or edit any items on the site. I love the look, control and immediacy of the platform, as well and the great customizing and features it has. Beyond that, their customer service was like none I'd had before, and every year I continue to appreciate the truly dedicated and helpful customer staff they have. I consider them my virtual team members.,Superior Customer Service that I can access at all hours. Being a small biz designer, I'm often working on my site late at night, so love to still have access to really knowledgeable tech assistance at any time of that day, so I can get things fixed or figured out and continue my work. The ability to customize most of the templates to a high degree makes my artistic eye happy and is a big plus for me, as it gives the look of a customized website without the large expense of one. Loads of apps and plug-ins to extend custom functionality and features that suit your business. And if I want to customize my coding, I can do that too. Like that they have partner sites that know the BigCommerce coding and architecture, which saves them time, and thereby saves me money. Keeping my overhead low is very important to a small indie business, so I love the great plan levels and pricing of BigCommerce. Also love the fact that unlike some other popular template site competitors, BigCommerce gives you all the features for your monthly price, inclusive, without the practice of charging lots of "nickel & dime" extra and feature charges (as other business owners have told me they've experienced on other platforms).,After working with Big Commerce teams, themes and changes for over 5 years, I'd honestly say that they are pretty responsive to any of the issues that might arise or exist. They have always been upfront and honest about the timing of how long a fix might take, and have always worked quickly to address the most important ones. The only issues I've had are small ones that I can usually get them to either address in a number of hours or a few days. Some that were a bit more unusual, I had been able to have a tech help me find an immediate workaround to address some issue. If it is a true technical issue, bug or glitch, they always issue a ticket immediately, and I've seen most every issue get taken care of quickly. I feel overall very happy with BigCommerce. For me, it does just what I want. And considering that technical issues are an inevitable part of having a site, for me - having a technically-savvy customer service team that is so responsive means the world to me. It makes the difference to feel I've always been taken care of when things don't go quite right or when issues arise. Truly appreciate that they don't have just a 'cookie-cutter' or call-center type of customer service department. The only exception I feel I could cite for improvement was the more recent roll-out of the new STENCIL theme from Pixel Union, which took a few months longer than I had hoped, and was confusing to both customer service reps and to customers. Also wanted to not have such a long wait to for the ability of customizations and more flexibility. Better planning for the beta-testing, various designs and final roll-outs might be in order for future theme upgrades.,10,Online Store Social Media (e.g. Facebook, Pinterest),When I first switched to Big Commerce over 5 years ago, I did it to not have to wait for the custom coding to be done to make small changes or corrections to my site. I also badly needed to increase my SEO. BC worked on both fronts, and the SEO continues to improve as the themes also improve on that objective. I've recently changed to a new STENCIL theme, and immediately saw a jump in my ROI via sales from both gleaning new customers and appealing to my existing customers. As well, received great feedback on social media and via e-mail. Makes me even happier than I was before with Big Commerce. The ability to make changes on my site in just a matter of minutes, without the need to involve anyone else or to be charged extra for it makes it a dream fit for my bootstrap business model.,Volusion, Shopify, Magento and Big Cartel,Not available,B2C,No,10,No,Most recently, the circumstantial aspects of my switch to a new theme led to some highly unusual problems and issues. Instead of trying to put me off, dismiss me or make me feel that I was stuck on my own with the situation, EVERYONE, in all customer service departments that I spoke with, every step of the way, did their best to help me through it. They offered solutions, suggestions, work-arounds and assisted with working instructions to make sure I made it through all the issues on every step of the giant project I had understaken, as well as ironing out any of the glitches I had encountered. After working with them for years and as a solo entrepreneur, I've often considered them "My Team". Well, this time, the team customer service on this most recent large project went so far above and beyond, and I truly could not have done it without them. And it was always done with such a friendly, helpful, professional, yet light-hearted approach, without hestitation or arguement - they just HELPED ME. Each time I called (and I called a LOT) they looked at all the possible paths to help me navigate through to a successful finish. AMAZING. I am so grateful for the help on my project. To all on the BigCommerce support team, I send a big 'Thanks'!BigCommerce - the best shopping cart solution out there!After much research, I decided to use BigCommerce as my online shopping cart platform. I sell a few food based items online, and I found that the price and offering structure fit my needs well. The system as a whole is very stable and I was able to skin the website without the need for a website designer.,Unlimited bandwidth - even on a low traffic site, you want this. Bandwidth adds up quick - both on the customer side and the management end Free template availability - they have lots - mobile ready too! Management portal - very intuitive and easy to use,I'd like to have the abandoned shopping cart reminders added into my level Some default SEO - where keywords and metadata are automatically added based upon the data entered Included Amazon integration - there's already eBay - how about adding Amazon!,9,Online Store,Everyone needs a website these days, and many of us need one that allows us to sell. BigCommerce helps me accomplish this. Unlike other online shopping carts, I simply pay a low monthly fee - no bandwidth charges, no fees per order - and I have a fully operational shopping cart that I am very happy with. As stated earlier - a direct built in Amazon connection (aside from the newly added Amazon Payments) would be an awesome addition.,Shopify, Volusion and 3dcart,Less than $20,000,Both,1,1,Online sales portal - best one out there. Ease of use - quick and easy setup/ability to do the setup work myself. Quick to market - from site setup to product upload/setup to first sale was very fast.,The main thing was the ability to reskin the site on demand. Change the template, change the colors and I had a whole new site.,Facebook selling - and other social media Amazon selling - hopefully in the very near future without the need of a 3rd party add on! Additional sales channels including drop shipping possibilities,10,Microsoft Office 2016, Microsoft Office 365, Accounting by Wave,No,Price Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation Third-party Reviews,I am a consultant in the IT world, so I am constantly evaluating software and hardware solutions as well as various platforms for a multitude of client needs.The biggest change that I have already incorporated into my evaluation process is reading the professional level reviews as provided in forums just like this one (TrustRadius). Anyone selling something does their best to make their product look spectacular and perfect in every way. It's real users' reviews that show you whether there is any truth behind the claims.
BigCommerce

BigCommerce Reviews

BigCommerce
Top Rated Award
Filter 104 vetted BigCommerce reviews and ratings
Francis Vassallo profile photo
November 17, 2017

Review: "BigCommerce: Probably the Best eCommerce Software ... Ever"

• Unparalleled Features
  • Lightning Fast
  • Rock-Solid Security
  • Bullet-Proof Reliability
  • Infinite SaaS Architecture Scalability
  • Robust & Future-Proof
  • Low Total Cost of Ownership
  • Designers might crave more freedom for customization
  • Developers might take issue with the fact that it’s not open-source
  • BigCommerce is still gaining it's reputation as being a viable options for enterprise-level eCommerce
BigCommerce offers far more customization options than many other platforms including: Magento. BigCommerce is a hosted solution, which is great for new businesses and immediately sets you up with minimal expenditure, saving on hosting, maintenance and update expenses. Bigcommerce’s single page checkout has also proven to increase conversion rates up to 12% by making it simpler and faster for customers to make a purchase. BigCommerce's track record of an unbeatable 99.99% up-time is matchless. BigCommerce offers a variety of features and add-ons, such as an included mobile site, that make it easy to update and tailor your site to suit your needs.
Read Francis Vassallo's full review
Bryan Bielefeldt profile photo
August 08, 2017

Review: "BigCommerce from a marketing agency's perspective."

• Product management for large catalogs
  • Variable pricing rules
  • It would be nice to have the ability to attached specific digital products to individual configurations of a variable product.
BigCommerce is less appropriate for a business that requires multi vendor marketplace management.

BigCommerce is however well suited for most all e-commerce businesses. The base platform is very robust and covers most needs however when the base functionality doesn't meet the client's needs the platform can be extended through the BigCommerceAPIi to meet almost any need to include custom ERP integrations if necessary.
Read Bryan Bielefeldt's full review
Jason Lowrey profile photo
February 20, 2017

User Review: "HOC Hoots About BigCommerce"

• Creating new product postings is easier in BigCommerce than it is in Etsy. BigCommerce has an easier interface to select product categories and the like, while adding metadata, tags and other SEO necessary items is more intuitive than Etsy in our experience.
  • Having a wide variety of free templates is a big bonus, as is the ability to edit them. Although we have dug deeper into the HTML code in the past to modify our site's appearance, the upgraded storefront editor is very useful. Changing colors in any part of the website is a breeze now and the two newest free templates are well designed, pleasing to the eye, and appropriately modern.
  • The storefront integration with Facebook is quite useful. Being able to add the shopping feature to our company page at the click of a button was incredibly convenient.
  • Having a blog built into the store has been beneficial in terms of driving visitors to our site. Sharing the links on social media brings people back to the Hoot Owl Creations page and, ideally, inspires them to at least look at the items we have for sale. Also, the blog allows our site to have more personality because we can express ourselves in the same area where we display our product, which gives visitors a better idea of who we are and what we do.
  • The help section could use additional visual aides to help navigate users through the various menus and sub-menus when they are trying to figure out where something is or how to make a change to the storefront. Sometimes it can be difficult to find things because the user interface has changed since some of the articles were written and it's organized differently.
  • Each template needs a guide for how large the thumbnail photos are on the front page and product pages. Twice now, with different templates, I have uploaded photos only to see there are white bars on the sides or tops of my product photos with the thumbnail images. It takes some experimenting with cropping to determine what is the correct ratio. Having an easy to find pixel measurement, such as what exists for the carousel, would be a major improvement.
  • Transparency with billing could be improved; specifically in terms of where a store falls within the sales spectrum to determine if you're in the higher or lower category. When the tier simplification was announced, we were automatically placed in the higher tier even though our sales for the previous year did not exceed even 20 items. Although we got it resolved after emailing a representative, it was concerning for us as we could not afford the higher monthly payment.
It is well suited for businesses that may have a small volume of online sales. Since most of our products are sold in person — such can be the nature of handmade jewelry — the BigCommerce storefront allows us to have an online portfolio for people to browse at leisure and make a purchase if they see something they love. The built-in blog allows store owners to communicate with the outside world in the same space as their product, which is a positive from a branding standpoint: it allows customers to get a better idea of who you are and what you want to accomplish with your business. Artists who need an online platform to display their work and sell it would be well-served with BigCommerce's ease of use for posting products and editing store templates.
Read Jason Lowrey's full review
Stephanie Gale profile photo
February 13, 2017

Review: "Superior Service, Pricing & Features: BigCommerce Is A Perfect Fit For Your E-Commerce Business"

• Superior Customer Service that I can access at all hours. Being a small biz designer, I'm often working on my site late at night, so love to still have access to really knowledgeable tech assistance at any time of that day, so I can get things fixed or figured out and continue my work.
  • The ability to customize most of the templates to a high degree makes my artistic eye happy and is a big plus for me, as it gives the look of a customized website without the large expense of one. Loads of apps and plug-ins to extend custom functionality and features that suit your business. And if I want to customize my coding, I can do that too. Like that they have partner sites that know the BigCommerce coding and architecture, which saves them time, and thereby saves me money.
  • Keeping my overhead low is very important to a small indie business, so I love the great plan levels and pricing of BigCommerce. Also love the fact that unlike some other popular template site competitors, BigCommerce gives you all the features for your monthly price, inclusive, without the practice of charging lots of "nickel & dime" extra and feature charges (as other business owners have told me they've experienced on other platforms).
  • After working with Big Commerce teams, themes and changes for over 5 years, I'd honestly say that they are pretty responsive to any of the issues that might arise or exist. They have always been upfront and honest about the timing of how long a fix might take, and have always worked quickly to address the most important ones.
  • The only issues I've had are small ones that I can usually get them to either address in a number of hours or a few days. Some that were a bit more unusual, I had been able to have a tech help me find an immediate workaround to address some issue. If it is a true technical issue, bug or glitch, they always issue a ticket immediately, and I've seen most every issue get taken care of quickly.
  • I feel overall very happy with BigCommerce. For me, it does just what I want. And considering that technical issues are an inevitable part of having a site, for me - having a technically-savvy customer service team that is so responsive means the world to me. It makes the difference to feel I've always been taken care of when things don't go quite right or when issues arise. Truly appreciate that they don't have just a 'cookie-cutter' or call-center type of customer service department.
  • The only exception I feel I could cite for improvement was the more recent roll-out of the new STENCIL theme from Pixel Union, which took a few months longer than I had hoped, and was confusing to both customer service reps and to customers. Also wanted to not have such a long wait to for the ability of customizations and more flexibility. Better planning for the beta-testing, various designs and final roll-outs might be in order for future theme upgrades.
I am likely to, because I do often recommend BigCommerce to other small business friends! Especially those that tell me they're having tech issues, downtime, poor SEO or are simply tired of all the upcharges involved when they want a little more functionality. Seriously think BigCommerce, due to its pricing, theme range, site structure and feature flexibility is well-suited to so many applications that I'm hard-pressed to think of any it might not fit, with the possible exception of huge corporate entities. Otherwise, I think it's the best for any small, mid or large-sized e-commerce companies, with plenty of room and options as they scale up and grow.
Read Stephanie Gale's full review
Vin Campbell profile photo
February 07, 2017

Review: "BigCommerce - the best shopping cart solution out there!"

• Unlimited bandwidth - even on a low traffic site, you want this. Bandwidth adds up quick - both on the customer side and the management end
  • Free template availability - they have lots - mobile ready too!
  • Management portal - very intuitive and easy to use
  • I'd like to have the abandoned shopping cart reminders added into my level
  • Some default SEO - where keywords and metadata are automatically added based upon the data entered
  • Included Amazon integration - there's already eBay - how about adding Amazon!
Great packages for beginner online retailers. The price points and offerings match up nicely to expected volumes. Super easy to use even for novices who don't have much knowledge or experience with website and graphic designs. Very interesting marketing tools approach - haven't taken much time to use them due to that budget going to Amazon's ecosystem, but they look to be geared towards the beginner level.
Read Vin Campbell's full review
Kristina Anderson profile photo
February 06, 2017

Review: "BigCommerce = Big on features, big on performance"

We use BigCommerce for our online business and we absolutely love our website. The platform offers an extensive selection of powerful advanced features that any small business like ours needs for a comprehensive, easy-to-access and aesthetically-pleasing website. Since BigCommerce offers unlimited product listing, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage and what not, we do not have to be concerned about exceeding storage limits, etc. This enables us to be focus more on content production, site optimization and other business-related activities that impact our business growth.
  • BigCommerce is built for business growth. The platform offers the most user-friendly, helpful and realistic tools that small business owners absolutely use. New entrepreneurs will absolutely appreciate the whole suite of robust features that will help them to succeed.
  • Unlimited products, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage and seamless integration with third-party apps that you need to do business (such as MailChimp for email newsletter, Gmail for emails, Disqus for blog comments, etc.).
  • BigCommerce has the friendliest support team. It's like having a 24/7 tech department that you can count on.
  • The Blog feature is probably one of the weakest points of BigCommerce. It would be great if it can behave the way WordPress does.
  • Whenever we need to use Rafflecopter for a giveaway, we are not able to launch the program on BigCommerce. The environment doesn't allow for it.
BigCommerce is "any-business-ready." It's recommended for value-driven businesses. Anybody who has a vision and who's willing to translate that vision into actionable steps will benefit from this robust platform.
Read Kristina Anderson's full review
Richard Wilson profile photo
February 20, 2017

Review: "BigCommerce allows you to go Big in eCommerce"

We currently use BigCommerce for two websites, one with over 30,000 products, and another with a few hundred and thousands of visits per day. We use it for our e-commerce websites and find it amazingly easy to use and user-friendly. It is a fantastic product and I would highly recommend it.
  • Ease of use and easy to learn.
  • Fantastic interface, and very customer friendly.
  • We made our first sale within hours of setting up the store.
  • Functionality increases every day.
  • Has recently become more expensive for high volume sellers like ourselves.
  • That being said, it is worth it.
  • Nothing else bad!
For businesses who need a new website, or an upgrade I would strongly advise them to check out bigcommerce. It has given us massive growth over the few years we have been using it. Not only is it easy to use, but you can make a fantastic looking website for an amazing price.
Read Richard Wilson's full review
Machele Shifley profile photo
February 17, 2017

User Review: "Small online store loves BigCommerce"

We use BigCommerce as an on-line gift shop, carrying a small selection of gift items which our guests (past, present, future) can purchase on-line. We also offer our company-wide gift certificates on BigCommerce, this is our number one selling item. This helps alleviate phone volume during peak gift certificate buying (November/December).
  • Email notification when an item is purchased - this can go to multiple email addresses - it gives us a check and balance for order fulfillment. It also allows us to have some orders (merchandise) filled from one department and other orders (gift certificates) filled from another department.
  • Easy set up and tutorials. I wasn't sure how to go about setting up our on-line store, however BigCommerce has video tutorials and a vast amount of information on how to do what you need to do. It's easy to follow and get the results you are looking for.
  • Transactions are really seamless for us - credit cards are processed on line and deposited into our account.
  • It may just be because we don't use the feature very often, but it seems like we always have to spend a little time "looking for" how to process a return/refund. Once we find it, it's easy, it's just that initial feeling of "where do I find that again?"
I know that it is well suited for a small on-line store and/or gift shop. Because we do not have a lot of items, it would be difficult for me to say how it would work for a company offering a large variety of items - however, I think it would still work just as well. BigCommerce is great for selling items in a variety of colors or sizes, it takes a little while to set up, but it works really well. I LOVE that you can decide what feedback is posted about your items - honestly is great - but sometimes there is a rating which simply is not true and you have the option of not allowing that rating to post.
Read Machele Shifley's full review
Tim Mountz profile photo

BigCommerce Review: "Brilliant"

[It's used for] retail sales, so we can build our direct to consumer business.
  • Tracking all info
  • Helpful with problems
  • Helpful with new ideas
  • SEO for beginners
  • Shipping
  • Inventory
I never worry about the security of my site, layouts are fresh and easy to use. Staff is always quick to get back to you when problems happen, which is almost never!
Read Tim Mountz's full review
Denise Lawrence profile photo
February 17, 2017

BigCommerce Review: "Big Commerce is great for online stores"

BigCommerce is used for our e-commerce. We are able to list all of our products for sale, track customer spending, track visitors to the site, and manage inventory with the system. Recently we were able to link our Square credit card processing account to give our buyers alternatives when checking out. Also, by adding Sweet Tooth we are able to now offer loyalty points to customers to encourage repeat business.
  • Easy to set up
  • Compatible with Square
  • Variety of themes to choose from
  • Setting up and using email accounts can be frustrating
  • Inventory for items with options difficult to understand
  • More control over placement of products
Having tried other e-commerce platforms I can definitely recommend BigCommerce. The templates offered allow users at any experience level to quickly and easily set up their online store.
Read Denise Lawrence's full review
Linda Schnabel profile photo
February 15, 2017

BigCommerce Review: "Compared to Network Solutions"

BigCommerce hosts our store. It is the basis of our organization.
  • It provides a modern, high end look to our storefront.
  • It does a good job of managing orders.
  • It has good search functions.
  • Very good support staff.
  • There is not a function to save the customer's credit card info.
  • It is not easy to take an order for a future delivery and then be able to charge the customer in the future when one ships. We ship out further than 30 days in some cases.
  • The email part of BigCommerce, including sending notes to the customer, needs work. We have a separate email service in place.
  • The one page check out page needs more versatility. It can't be edited very much at all.
It has a wonderful ability to break down products into categories although I don't think it allows sorting by size. The product pages are great - top notch look and usability.
Read Linda Schnabel's full review
Suzanne Greene profile photo
February 13, 2017

Review: "BigCommerce is great to start with for non-techies!"

I have a very small (micro) business. As the owner and manager, I'm the only full-time employee (I occasionally have part-time help with product photography, videography, and editing for my BigCommerce site).

I joke that my business is as niche as it gets, with the largest selection of kaleidoscopes in New England. In both my brick and mortar store on Cape Cod and on my site (www.CapeKaleidoscopes.com), I carry and sell all types of kaleidoscopes, from toys up to large, sculptural, one-of-a-kind, collectible styles, in wood, metal, glass, and mixed media. My worldwide customers are people looking for unique gifts and kaleidoscope collectors. Because most are distinctly unique in color/pattern, virtually each kaleidoscope is rephotographed, including the interior photos and videos, each time I receive one from my artists so that my site is always current. Although it's a huge undertaking on my part to keep up with that, since I wear all the hats in my business, I'm proud to say that I often feature almost 1,500 distinct products.

Since I'm most definitely not a techie, I appreciate that BigCommerce is so easy to use. My only regret is that I don't have someone who can work on background, coding (metatags, etc.) to boost my number of orders, especially since my store is located in such a seasonal area.
  • The design of the dashboard and other sections are very clear and intuitive.
  • I had a very short learning curve with the steps involved with adding or editing a product's description, etc., and I'm not a techie!
  • The customer service department is *by far* the best I've ever dealt with in almost 30 years of being self-employed. (A suggestion for a potentially lucrative side business would be for them to train their counterparts at other web-based companies!!)
  • I'm frustrated that I still don't understand the whole concept of the new (or old) themes. I'm guessing I should have a different one at this point (??), but I've yet to be guided as to which one would be best for my particular (and quite unique) business. It would be wonderful if there was a basic primer for people like me. Specifically, I'm overwhelmed by the choices, but I don't dare choose a new theme, for fear that I couldn't go back to my current one if I don't like it. I'm petrified that I might lose several years worth of text and images! On the flip side, I wonder if my site's not as productive as it could be because I've been frozen on this entire issue of themes. I'd also VERY much appreciate the ability to narrow down those options by entering one's business info (industry, # of products, etc.) which could drastically reduce the number of theme options.
I wish more attention would be paid for the non-techie users of BigCommerce, in terms of the background improvement of my site (metatags, SEO, etc.) I had joined a few of the forums, but more often than not, I didn't even understand the questions, let alone the answers/suggestions. I'm at a point now that I don't know what I don't know! Is there possibly a way that someone at BigCommerce could review my site for specifically what can be improved, and then suggest, again, very basic instructions on how to complete those steps??
Read Suzanne Greene's full review
Bree Penfold profile photo
February 13, 2017

Review: "BigCommerce was a game changer for my online sales"

I am a home business of just me, no other employees and I use BigCommerce for my website which allows me to sell my products online.
  • Very user-friendly
  • Lots of ready to use themes or you can program things yourself if you know how
  • Lots of options so you can tailor it to suit your needs
  • Honestly I have not come across any issues or instances where I wasn't able to do something I wanted to do
I think it's fantastic how you can use the features so that your website is tailor made for what you need and want.
Read Bree Penfold's full review
Kelley Lipsett profile photo
February 13, 2017

"My BigCommerce Review - a happy customer!"

We use bigcommerce as our e-commerce site for our online jewelry boutique. The entire company uses this.
  • User-friendly - can easily add products, themes, change photos, etc.
  • Easily will work with other platforms such as ShipStation, stamps.com, quickbooks, etc.
  • Provides great analytics.
  • Coupon codes and discounts - offering more rules and also offering options like not using a coupon code with a sale item or other coupon.
  • Pop-up options.
  • Shopping on Google is hard to convert with this platform.
Bigcommerce is great for an e-commerce business. As you grow you will experience some issues as we did such as expanding rules for coupon codes and sales or adding features to your site such as pop-up emails and promotions. They do offer great help and service so I would recommend it. Also, it is user-friendly and easy to figure out if you are not experienced with web design.
Read Kelley Lipsett's full review
Tony Tanner profile photo
February 10, 2017

Review: "BigCommerce is definitely King of the Hill"

Our biggest problem with our business is the outdated shopping cart system we used to use, (Pinnacle Cart), along with the outdated bookkeeping system (QuickBooks) that we used. I did extensive research to find the very best of both. With BigCommerce and Xero we save about 1.5 hours a day where we do not have to take orders from our cart system and hand enter them into the bookkeeping system. Add to that the fact that people constantly say that they love the ease of shopping in BigCommerce and it is a no brainer.
  • The auto integration between BigCommerce and Xero accounting system takes place automatically every night while I am sleeping. In the morning I can easily print the orders from BigCommerce, then go to Xero and there they are, already entered. Print those out and staple together and I save 1.5 hours a day.
  • The review is awesome. I can see if it is a fake or bogus review before I approve and the people love seeing the stars to that they know there is a review of our product. And the system automatically sends out an email about a week after the receive the product asking them if they want to do a review. Couldn't be any easier.
  • Being able to email a customer with a question on an order directly from BigCommerce is supurb.
  • I like the fact that if I want to change the look feel of the cart, which I do about once a year to keep customers on their toes, is so easy. You can apply a new format to your cart and see if you like it before actually saving it and can change colors, etc to whatever you want. Again easy.
  • Sales is about the only area I can think of. We have a monthly sale where we put various things on sale at a percentage discount but each category has different percents. Right now I need to download the csv file and hand change every product and them import the file again to get this done. Would be nice if I could simply tell the system what percent each category was to have, if any, and be done.
  • Along with completed, shipped, etc for an order, you need to add partially refunded. If the system goofs on postage and I get into either Stripe or PayPal to do a partial refund for the customer, when I go back to the dashboard it has change to refunded. Before I noticed it was doing this customers asked why I had refunded their order instead of shipping.
  • Has more to do with Xero but I would love it if when the integration takes place the invoice created in Xero said PAID on it. Had to go buy a stamp to hand do this. One and only feature I miss from Quick Books
Personally I think that is is well suited for any scenario. No matter how big or how small your company it is the best out there. Before we switched I took over two months of researching, doing graphs and comparing each and every possibility out there to make my life easier. BigCommerce was on top.
Read Tony Tanner's full review
David Schwartz profile photo
February 10, 2017

Review: "BigCommerce is the best solution for a small business or startup."

We're a small company with about 40 products and adding more all the time. BigCommerce keeps the entire process manageable. Also, it makes sales and coupons easy.
  • Adding new products and, in general, supporting existing products is very easy.
  • Setting up a store from scratch is about 2-3 hours, not $5,000 worth of consulting fees.
  • Pricing flexibility is also very easy, as is support for different types of the same product.
  • I wish it interfaced directly with my email list provider so that we did not have to track sales separately.
The best things about BigCommerce are:

• Ease of set up
  • Adding/Changing items
  • Changing prices, etc.
What it does poorly (actually not at all) is "upsells."
Read David Schwartz's full review
Rebecca Kelman profile photo
February 10, 2017

BigCommerce Review: "Big Commerce/ Big Easy"

Our BigCommerce site is our primary sales tool.
  • The backend user interface is easy to use and configure.
  • Customer service is terrific. My questions always get answered and followup is good.
  • The product option tool works just fine too.
  • I would like to have an Etsy store integration.
I think BigCommerce is a great vehicle for any site that requires a shopping cart. It's top of the line.
Read Rebecca Kelman's full review
Kathy O'Rourke Armstrong profile photo
February 10, 2017

BigCommerce Review: "I'd go with Shopify"

My business runs on BigCommerce. It is my small business platform.
  • Nice templates
  • Great phone support
  • Great for those who don't code
  • Email support is terrible. They rarely respond.
  • Setting up product options is tedious and time-consuming.
  • You have to pay more to get basic functionality, like abandoned cart follow-up, that is included on other platforms like Shopify.
If I had to set up another online business, I'd use Shopify. You get more for your money, SEO is more effective, and it's easier to set up.
Read Kathy O'Rourke Armstrong's full review
Barry and Valery Drewer profile photo
February 08, 2017

Review: "We did it so can you, save money do it yourself with BigCommerce and look professional."

We are the Australian Distributors for Mora Frosts of Sweden Knives and sell to wholesalers and resellers in the food, outdoors and craft industries. Our company business T/A Allknives decided to set up a BigCommerce Online e-commerce online shop to further our reach to end users for our products.

We chose BigCommerce for its user-friendly platform and huge range of modern templates. There are a lot [of options] out there to choose from but not so many that are so user-friendly and have great service and backup help. Overall it is easy to populate with products; set up postage, inventory, photos, links, videos and add categories etc. I did have some difficulty however with setting up the e-mails and domain. But contacting BigCommerce via phone is simple and they always solve any problems in a timely and friendly manner.

They also have articles to follow on every step to setting up your site and video step by steps. We have had a lot of comments from customers on how easy our web-site is to use. That is one of the biggest pluses for our customers, which keeps them coming back. I would highly recommend BigCommerce.
  • They have a great platform that is user-friendly, makes populating it more efficient thus keeps man hours down, which means costs are down.
  • Great backup service via phone or e-mails.
  • Always adding new features so you know you're keeping up with your opposition.
  • Huge range of modern templates to suit any type of business which are also mobile friendly so no added cost to upgrade for your customers using their mobile phone or tablets etc.
  • I guess when BigCommerce brings in new features that are not usable in Australia like eBay etc., as I'm sure we pay the same plan fees so [we] should be able to use all the same features.
  • Maybe reduce the three notifications the site sends when an order comes through, one from the payment provider (e.g Paypal) and one with details of order should be enough.
  • I would like to see a simpler way of putting products in order on the site's back end. At the moment you have to go into each product separately to change their order, so they are never where I'd like them.
I think for anyone that wants to set up a website either for selling online or a catalog style website BigCommerce is a great choice. The savings are huge compared to paying someone to set it up for you. Just check out our store as an example: http://allknives.online.
Read Barry and Valery Drewer's full review
Nabeel Mulla profile photo
February 07, 2017

User Review: "Go Big with BigCommerce"

We use BigCommerce as our platform for our online retail sales, marketing, shipping, and inventory management. We are able to provide an easy shopping experience for our customers with seemless business management through the BigCommerce control panel. BigCommerce makes it easy to have an engaging retail website up and running in no time.
  • Easily creates product listings
  • Syncs inventory with other major sales channels
  • Integrates with third party applications for a more robust business
  • Analytics
  • SEO optimization
  • No Samsung Pay integration
I would recommend BigCommerce for pretty much any scenario where an online store with a shopping cart is needed, but it is probably best suited for small to midsize businesses.
Read Nabeel Mulla's full review
Bill Chandler profile photo
February 07, 2017

Review: "BigCommerce is the on-line shopping best system since "the Earth was flat.""

All of our company websites use our main BigCommerce site for all sales of products and services. BigCommerce has never failed us. We accept orders for services 24 hours per day flawlessly. I would recommend BigCommerce to any company. It is the backbone of our business. We are a small company but we have a number of options on our products' sales orders and integrated payment types and BigCommerce is easy to use.
  • Integration with websites is easy and does not require dedicated domain names. Great when you sell similar products on multiple sites.
  • Credit card processing is easy whether it is Paypal or any other company's services. Easy to turn on and off at setup.
  • Clear understandable invoices. We look totally professional with our invoices.
  • Easy recaps of sales activity for client tax reporting. We deal with realtors and they rely on our records for their sales advertising and promotional costs.
  • Constant updates to our Bigcommerce interface. We like the changes they have made to keep improving the products without interfering with our on-going business.
  • I like it as it is currently. I cannot actually see any need for improvement.
  • No improvement needed for our needs.
Any business that sells on-line products or services can get a low-cost option to get their products out the door for active sales. The sales integrate with credit card processors and QuickBooks for accounting and the reports are fully professional. I cannot think of any occasion where BigCommerce would not be an outstanding business tool.
Read Bill Chandler's full review
Dean Paddison profile photo
February 07, 2017

Review: "Using BigCommerce to fly high with personalized frisbees."

My business uses BigCommerce to sell custom, personalized frisbees across the US and around the world. They make it easy to sell products, and their tech support is incredible.
  • Friendly easy website set up and use.
  • Great technical support when dealing with problems.
  • Good connections to Google and other search engines.
  • Easy and convenient payment plans for customers (Paypal and Stripe are just two that are available).
  • I would like to see more shipping options for multiple items.
  • When you hide seasonal products, they should also hide from the new product list.
I think BigCommerce is perfectly suited for any small business that wants to sell products on the internet. I can't think of a less appropriate situation.
Read Dean Paddison's full review
Ferrell Alman Jr. profile photo
February 06, 2017

"BigCommerce Review from Small E-Commerce Startup"

We use BigCommerce as the shopping cart SAAS for our online retail clothing store, and it is used across our entire organization. BigCommerce hosts the shopping cart functionality, tracks inventory, and - through app integrations - facilitates payment processing, reviews, and shipping functionality.
  • The backend "Dashboard" and interface for running the store is very intuitive and easy to use. After learning my way around the navigation menus, I can now run my entire e-commerce store quickly and efficiently.
  • BigCommerce's "community" (essentially message boards) is extremely helpful in strategizing and troubleshooting. The community is filled with expert users as well as BigCommerce's own staff who monitor and answer questions. Whenever I have problems or need advice, the community is my first stop for answers.
  • The app integrations are easy to implement and improve upon some of BigCommerce's native functionality.
  • Although BigCommerce's tutorials are great, some of the information can be outdated. For example, when I search for help implementing a certain functionality, the tutorials sometimes provide information for an old version of BigCommerce or outdated features.
  • The app integrations can be a bit finicky, and BigCommerce doesn't seem to have solutions.
  • The inventory reporting features are very lacking. As our company has grown, we are having to transition to a third party inventory management/reporting SaaS.
BigCommerce is perfectly suited for a small ecommerce company looking to get started quickly and without spending a large amount on outside expert help. For a larger company, or for companies looking for an omnichannel strategy, BigCommerce seems perfectly suitable, but would likely require expert or third-party help for setting up and integrating this strategy.
Read Ferrell Alman Jr.'s full review
Jose Gutierrez profile photo
February 06, 2017

User Review: "BigCommerce is for Big Sales"

We have been using BigCommerce since it was Interspire, we manage a couple of stores and we explored other platforms such as Magento and CS-Cart, we abandoned the other platforms and switched to BigCommerce because it is a much easier implementation, and has SEO features, admin tools, and reports. Uptime is also a great plus. We only miss a feature to block IPs or countries. Other than that, it's amazing!
  • Import/export catalog.
  • Search engine marketing.
  • Uptime.
  • Cost.
  • Ease of implementation.
  • Secure.
  • Block IPs and countries.
  • Themes with better menu management.
  • Report per product, to see how many clicks each product got, vs. how many sales, to define conversion and assign resources or fix issues.
BigCommerce is for merchants who need a reliable store, an easy to use dashboard, and an easy to import/export feature. Amazingly, and after comparing a dozen e-commerce platforms, I can comfortably say BigCommerce is almost perfect. We only miss a way to block an IPS and countries.
Read Jose Gutierrez's full review
Jeremiah Alexander profile photo
February 06, 2017

User Review: "BigCommerce = Big Customization"

We are currently using it for a single department to branch out into a larger market. It has helped tremendously with customer brand recognition and consistency between our sales team. We went from very local deliveries to having customers all over the nation. Its product building tools and flexibility went beyond any other e-commerce platform on the market.
  • Product configuration - especially for parts that have multiple variations.
  • Its backend was the most friendly we found for our less computer savvy employees.
  • Its speed was incredible compared to our previous platform.
  • I wish you could write custom variables. Or that customization was more robust. It's still better than the competition, but I still have some problems with multiple variables.
  • The image organization is a little difficult if you have several products all using the same image. I haven't found how to reuse the same image to decrease loading time.
  • No minimum checkout amount. You have to write the code yourself, and then it gets wiped out everytime the template is updated.
It's well suited for applications where you have a lot of product variables (more than just color, sizes). We sell products that have at least four different variables and dozens of options each and they only work in certain combinations. While it's still difficult to get working, it's the only platform where you could actually do it.
Read Jeremiah Alexander's full review

Product catalog & listings (64)
Product management (63)
Bulk product upload (47)
Branding (55)
Mobile storefront (62)
Product variations (60)
Website integration (51)
Visual customization (61)
CMS (39)
Abandoned cart recovery (47)
Checkout user experience (58)
eCommerce security (60)
9.4
Promotions & discounts (57)
Personalized recommendations (47)
SEO (55)
Multi-site management (22)
Order processing (57)
Inventory management (48)
Shipping (52)
Custom functionality (49)

About BigCommerce

BigCommerce aims to equip growing businesses with an effective platform for creating beautiful stores, attracting customers wherever they shop, and generating sales. According to the vendor, online businesses using BigCommerce can outsell and outperform those on other platforms.