BigCommerce Reviews

November 23, 2020
April Chin | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use BigCommerce as our store on our website. We have tried a variety of different software and shopping cart platforms out there over the years, but BigCommerce is the most robust. It offers us the flexibility that we need while giving us full control of each product and their variations.
  • Full control of your customers database -from giving them store credit (seems a no-brainer, but there's a lot of software/platforms out there that don't let you do that!!), to being able to go into their account and edit an order for them, to creating ads/coupons based on groups, etc
  • Full control of product details - every facet of the product is at your fingertips. Beyond description, price, and image, you get SEO, options, categories (including being able to put your product in multiple categories. Again, something simple, but important!), bulk pricing, mark it coming soon or call for pricing, etc.
  • It's so robust!! I've mentioned the full control because it really is so robust and allows you to tailor everything to your store/site/brand, etc. We've used it for years and plan to use it for years to come!
  • Steep learning curve - if you have a web/IT person, great, you're golden. If you're just starting out, or switching from a platform that's a little more plug-n-play, you'll discover that along with the robustness of BC comes it's many, many different choices. Which is great....and a bit overwhelming. It IS easy to learn though, just keep plugging away at it and don't be afraid to ask for help through the community, the help desk, or the web!
If you have some simple products that don't need variations of any kind, and just need to sell them, this will work for you but may be 'too much' and a simpler platform would work better. If you have a lot of products, a lot of {repeat} customers to manage, variations on the products, tie-ins to other products, etc, then you definitely want to use BigCommerce!
As I've mentioned, it's robust. It can handle what you throw at it. It's flexible and scalable, whether you're a company of 1 or 1,000,000, it offers what you need. It's always seeking to improve and adding new features that are helpful and actually work. There are other software platforms out there that seem sleeker, but in terms of solid, dependable, full control of your business, BigCommerce wins, hands down.
Read April Chin's full review
December 26, 2020
Ken Falta | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am a very small company, and have fairly recently switched over to BigCommerce to run my website, as I was having problems elsewhere. BigCommerce has helped me not only make a more stable and secure website but also helped make it worlds better for my customers to find and order items. It has helped increase our sales by at least double, and my customers are commenting on how much they like it.
  • The customer support really is fantastic. Even with newbie questions I asked, they were quick to reply with the information I asked for, including helpful links which really made the difference in switching over and understanding what I needed to do.
  • I am really thrilled with the interface and how easy it is to learn to use. From being really easy to create new pages, edit themes, and add new products, the interface takes very little time to learn. The theme editor is amazing with its WYSIWYG-style interface--I was able to create eye-catching pages in no time.
  • The plug-ins you can add to your site are really handy, including shipping and payment processors like Stripe, which has just in itself helped increase my sales over using PayPal only.
  • So far I have been really pleased with all aspects of BigCommerce and have not run into any problems or things I would do differently. Something small but something I can think of is in the theme editor. It would be nice to be able to add more items to a page, as I kept finding out I was running out of space when creating pages with lots of graphics/links.
I really think that BigCommerce is well suited for most businesses from small, like my company, to much much larger companies. With being able to easily upgrade your account to more features if needed, it makes it an easy choice. You can have a free trial and check out how easy it is to set up a website and create products, categories, and pages. Something I found really handy for my needs is the ability to set preorders so that customers can order items knowing there is a lead time on the item being made. As I make all the items I sell myself, there is a lead time and the ability to add this to the product pages before ordering has made a huge difference. I can't think of a place for this to be less appropriate. You're able to scale the site to whatever needs you might have.
I was recommended to use BigCommerce by a friend who runs several large companies' online sales, and she was right that there was a plan for me, with all the features I needed and some I had no idea I could have. It has worked out perfectly for our small company, with a fair cost each month for all the services I need for my company with the added security of them running the servers and backend.
This is something that I have not yet played with, but something I plan to learn more about and see about exploring more. The ability to do these kinds of things opens so many more options, which is rather exciting, but also unknown areas for myself right now. BigCommerce is really good about supplying help files/videos and of course their customer support is great.
Read Ken Falta's full review
December 13, 2020
Peter Robinson | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have used BigCommerce across 3 platforms for 12 years, it is very user friendly for both retailers and customers, I was one of the earlier customers in Australia and have recommended to many who have also been successful both current and past businesses. If you are looking for e commerce then BigCommerce is the answer.
  • Easy to set up for novices or professionals
  • Very cost effective
  • Built in seo
  • Great selection of templates for all industries both free and paid
  • Ease of check out for customers
  • After 12 years of use I feel the developers and principals of Big Commerce have always been ahead of the curve
  • Big Commerce always seemed to reinvest in their company
  • From where I sit I couldn’t really point to an area where I feel it could be improved
I have sold a business using BigCommerce and the new owners have used the platform for the past seven years .
one of my colleagues swapped to BigCommerce after much badgering over a long period from me and he has seen his business grow in leaps and bounds , especially through these covid times.
It is cost effective from the start and easy to setup without any website coding knowledge, you only need common sense , great platform for e commerce startups or seasoned professionals.
I have and would recommend BigCommerce to anyone who has the desire to take their bricks and mortar store to the next level .
I had tried other platforms before switching to BigCommerce, besides been more user friendly it’s value for your dollars is second to none .
My colleagues who have switched to BigCommerce are of the same opinion as myself.
In a nutshell I wouldn’t or couldn’t use any other platform.
Read Peter Robinson's full review
November 05, 2020
stephen battle | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use the BigCommerce platform to reach potential customers all over the country. We use the platform all though out the company. For example it is a great tool for keeping track of our inventory and customer base.
  • The support (as with any platform issues will arise). BigCommerce's support is not only responsive but thoroughly engaging when resolving an issue.
  • Ease of use, when we first started we did not have the staff to get things up and running. I recruited my nieces, all in their early teens, to help. They were able to perform the task easily.
  • Gives us a great image. Out of all of our peers we are the only ones that use BigCommerce. Oh boy, what a difference.
  • Being able to edited certain portions of the platform independent from others.
While I can not immediately come up with scenarios where BigCommerce is not suited for, I do believe there are a host where that are perfect, including for inventory management, availbily of partner solutions to any situation, and their ever-adapting changes in e-commerce.
I cannot stress more the ease of use, it is easily integrated regardless of product or purpose.
We are able to set things up for our customers, creating a simple experience for them and without making navigation over complicated.
Read stephen battle's full review
October 30, 2020
Russell Gibbons | TrustRadius Reviewer
BigCommerce is our platform that manages our e-commerce presence in Australia and soon to be in USA. It allows us a professional, easy to use platform for our online store, which allows us to market our brand and provides another avenue of sales for the business. Further to this, it allows us to show our wholesale customers what the RRP can be and helps with the national branding strategy. On top of this, it provides an ability for our customers who don't have a shop close to them stocking our products to be able to buy our products and interact with our business.
  • Easy to use web page
  • Secure shopping cart
  • Specialist advice and support when needed
  • More flexibility on the skins of the web pages with regards to minor changes needed
  • Better built-in SEO technical services that might normally require an outside coder or webmaster. This is to help those businesses that aren't typical.
I think BigCommerce is a great tool for people who are not webmasters themselves and want to focus on branding and selling rather than coding the perfect site.
We have grown from a start-up manufacturer and BigCommerce has been able to grow their service with us.
Read Russell Gibbons's full review
October 30, 2020
Nelson Parece | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have chosen Big Commerce to be the eCommerce tab on our social platform which is part of our new business model "TheGivingCycle" being the "social that pays". It is ideal for the many types of manufacturers, B2B, B2C sellers along with non-profits to make available their services and products to our members and wherever one may desire to sell around the world. It solved the problem of having the ability to service small businesses along with large Enterprises, encompassing the entire supply chain and the security needed for such. I had reviewed other platforms and have decided that Big Commerce will work best for our members, society, and anyone utilizing our platform.
  • Having a team of professionals available to answer questions or assist you with any issue one may have from set up to ongoing operations.
  • Having training material in various formats which can assist in training oneself or your teams.
  • Staying on top of the best of technologies so as to keep you extremely competitive in the market place.
  • The social community that one may feel free to inquire or hire for special project or needs.
  • I'm really big on security, which they do have but, desiring to utilize it to the max regarding my particular standard, one has to add their 3rd party recommendation for that additional upgrade of service. Seeing it as the normal part of their service would have made it more to my liking.
  • I am sure that the more we utilize Big Commerce we will be able to see where they may need improvement, but they have been growing and upgrading in the best of their breed as far as I have seen and learned.
If one just wants to run their own operation or enterprise, you can do it well here. What we are doing is more than just having multi-stores and their various locations, but we are combining the "Amazon" effect, which they are willing to assist us in achieving our goal for doing so.
All of my previous answers truly show why I have chosen Big Commerce for being our E-Commerce tab in our Social Market Place platform.
We shall have a minimum of 15 open APIs just on our social section and would not have chosen Big Commerce if they didn't have an open APIs system in place.
Read Nelson Parece's full review
October 05, 2020
Cynthia Lewman | TrustRadius Reviewer
BigCommerce hosts our company's website. We sell instant digital PDF toy plans to a worldwide community of professional and amateur toymakers. BigCommerce allowed us to run on a platform that hosts our digital files. We've been in business 10 years. I originally designed and coded our website because we couldn't find a perfect fit in an out-of-the box solution to sell our digital files. I researched BigCommerce and competitors for several years until we decided to move our online store to BigCommerce.
  • Fantastic, highly skilled and professional 24/7 technical support
  • Willingness to help solve problems and sticking with the problem until a solution is found, which can take several days or weeks sometimes.
  • Extremely reliable platform with minimal downtime.
  • Needs better communication when there's a technical issue affecting stores.
BigCommerce is a perfect solution for selling PDF files. Although I recommend them highly, I do think some knowledge about basic coding such as HTML is extremely helpful. For people who are trying to sell just a few products and don't have a basic grasp of HTML, they may be better suited to an eCommerce solution that's a simple plug and play.
We haven't yet needed to scale up, but I'm counting on BigCommerce to assist us when that time comes. Currently, BigCommerce is handling our traffic perfectly.
We're currently integrated with Mailchimp for our email marketing. It's a fantastic integration. Mailchimp tracks all user purchases and allows us to segment our email marketing to specific customer groups.
Read Cynthia Lewman's full review
Johan Watson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use BigCommerce as our online retail platform.
  • BigCommerce is an easy platform to use.
  • BigCommerce comes with apps that a person can use for marketing and all other things.
  • BigCommerce needs to get decent themes. The company lacks in this area, and cannot compare against Shopify. If a person looks at the themes that Out of a Sandbox and Pixel Union design for Shopify, a user can then understand why Shopify is rated the number 1 E-commerce platform. BigCommerce made news with Pixel Union, that they will design brilliant themes for BigCommerce's platform. About a year later, it seems that Pixel Union is not really interested anymore in the BigCommerce business after designing a few themes.
  • BigCommerce also lacks a lot and is far behind other shopping carts when it comes to SEO.
  • The BigCommerce product option app is very basic and is only good enough for a chicken farmer in Zimbabwe, as it can only do very basic stuff.
  • BigCommerce, previously known as Interspire, lacks a lot of good international apps that can be used internationally. This Aussie platform only caters to the US most of the time.
  • Payment gateways. Again, if you are in the US this platform is okay, but for the rest of the world it lacks good payment gateways, like for South Africa.
BigCommerce is a good platform if you want to do basic stuff and are selling a few items. If you want to run a decent shop and want to have the latest apps and the best integrations with themes, then Shopify is the answer.
I gave BigCommerce this rating due to the fact that I have worked years in it and only lately realized I wasted a lot of time and money. I want other users who want to start a new business to know the pros and cons.
Read Johan Watson's full review
Ryan Grover | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use BigCommrce to host my custom gaming controller website. It is used for marketing, order fulfillment, shipping and as my storefront. BigCommerce also provides us with abandon cart notifications, promotions, emails, and analytics.
  • Ecommerce - great and user-friendly store front
  • Integration - vast library of integration options
  • Shipping - many shipping softwares and carriers
  • Product information - many fields for the most detailed information
  • Fast websites - fast load times
  • SEO - preprogrammed SEO fields
  • Promotions- need more options for discounts
  • Manager mobile application- needs a mobile application to manage your store
It is most suited for eCommerce / shopping cart type websites as intentionally built for it.
It cannot host marketplaces, so you could not build a marketplace like Amazon or Rakuten.
We utilize APIs for shipping, which quote the customer's order. We use it for customer order tracking that delivers customer notifications about their order in transit. We utilize APIs for email marketing also.
It's a great platform that is easy to use and does not require prior experience.
Read Ryan Grover's full review
Lorri Tabbert | TrustRadius Reviewer
BigCommerce is the platform used for my personal online store. It is also the platform used at a local business whose ecommerce I manage.
  • Professional looking templates
  • Great analytics tool
  • Good product inventory management
  • Invoices don't look the best
  • Their app is a little clunky
  • Advanced pricing not available on the variant level
Very likely to recommend. Initially set my store up on Shopify since it was a very small fledgling business. I thought Shopify would be better since BigCommerce to me was more suited for the big guns. I was wrong! BigCommerce's free online store templates look much more professional than Shopify, and it has superior SEO capabilities, invoicing, and analytics.
I know from managing a local business' online store that BigCommerce is capable of handling any business as it scales from small, local orders to many orders on a nationwide as well as international scale.
Read Lorri Tabbert's full review
August 17, 2020
Linda Schnabel | TrustRadius Reviewer
BigCommerce hosts our store. It is the basis of our organization.
  • It provides a modern, high end look to our storefront.
  • It does a good job of managing orders.
  • It has good search functions.
  • Very good support staff.
  • There is not a function to save the customer's credit card info.
  • It is not easy to take an order for a future delivery and then be able to charge the customer in the future when one ships. We ship out further than 30 days in some cases.
  • The email part of BigCommerce, including sending notes to the customer, needs work. We have a separate email service in place.
  • The one page check out page needs more versatility. It can't be edited very much at all.
It has a wonderful ability to break down products into categories although I don't think it allows sorting by size. The product pages are great - top notch look and usability.
I used to work with Web.com and the support was horrendous and incorrect. With Big C I get an American who can speak well with me and I get one quickly when I call. They are courteous and work diligently to help me resolve my issue. Not every issue is resolved exactly as I'd like, but I'm impressed because they are really, truly trying.
Read Linda Schnabel's full review
August 12, 2020
Lundy Castellano | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our site is a secondary income stream for our manufacturing. The site is required to fulfill the following roles in our business: Reception, Sales, and Bookkeeping. The beneficial roles covered include marketing and shipping manager. The costs of these roles over a year compared to the site that works 24/7 with no holiday or sick pay determine the return on investment and on that basis, we are so ahead of the game.
  • The confidence gained from having a support team who are so friendly and helpful is number one for me.
  • The ability to go as shallow or deep into marketing as needed for each product is a powerful tool.
  • The User setup allows for each person to contribute while security is maintained through their User status and allowances.
  • Connecting other helpful apps after BigCommerce has done the troubleshooting is appreciated.
  • BigCommerce has always looked after me, so no complaints.
  • I don't expect perfection but am comforted that a team of experts is always worrying about the improvements so I don't have to.
I believe those with real-world business experience have the most to gain because of the many tools BigCommerce provides for listing and promoting products. To inspire customer loyalty while also providing considerable demographic data for no additional cost is amazing. With BigCommerce, the more time you invest, the greater the rewards.

I would like to see a model for selling services like bookkeeping as currently, it's only selling products or stand-alone e-publishing works.
At this point, I have simply not found myself on any limits so I cannot comment.
At this time, shipping integration with Australia Post is a valuable resource for us. We are hoping to expand our site this year as it has not received the sort of attention needed as our manufacturing has taken priority. However, a recent business restructure will allow for greater growth going forward. This will include making better use of available apps.
As a small family business, we simply could not afford to pay anyone to build and maintain a site for us. Without the patient and kind support I received when I asked nothing but dumb questions, I would have given up on this project years ago. Love that crew!
So far, I have managed to create a workable website that actually sells products even though I have no qualifications or experience with same. I was a publishing editor previously and find this view assists me to create the site while BigCommerce provides all the basic tools to achieve my aims
Read Lundy Castellano's full review
September 09, 2020
Erick Horne | TrustRadius Reviewer
We went with BigCommerce to fulfill the e-commerce needs of our company. I found that BigCommerce synced perfectly with our ERP software and that they would work hand-in-hand together. I set up our e-commerce store in no time. As we began to get orders, they synced with our ERP and worked perfectly. Any problem I’ve run into was addressed in minutes by calling their support team. I currently have two Enterprise-level stores I manage and can’t say enough about how simple BigCommerce has made it to manage both of them.
  • Simplicity
  • Customer Service
  • Support
  • None
BigCommerce has plans that work for multiple companies. We currently have two Enterprise stores to meet our needs. BigCommerce also offers entry-level stores for those who are starting out and don’t have the demand for an Enterprise-level store.
Worked flawlessly with our 3rd-party software
Synced perfectly with our 3rd-Party ERP system
Read Erick Horne's full review
September 02, 2020
Sprout Lady Rita Galchus | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use BigCommerce as our etail selling platform. Big Commerce lets our customers see our products to make fully informed decisions before purchase. It is easy to use and lets people think this one person business has an IT department. Customer Service reps are friendly and helpful. They come up with answers to my questions that help my business.
  • The Sprout House website looks great and functions well on all platforms.
  • It is easy to set-up products and shipping methods.
  • BigCommerce has a variety of payment methods so clients can choose which works for them.
  • BigCommerce makes my clients think I have a huge IT department, even though it is only me.
  • The only feature that did not work well for me was multi-channel selling. It is easier for me to keep the different channels I sell on discreet and not all mixed in with BigCommerce.
BigCommerce is well suited for selling online. Uploading photos and product descriptions keep my site a place to go for information. Because content is king, I like to have people come to my site not only to make a purchase but to use it as a reference point for research and frequently asked questions.
Everything is so easy to do on BigCommerce from getting an order to shipping. I can see using this platform for a very large company.
I don't use this feature
Read Sprout Lady Rita Galchus's full review
August 19, 2020
Jim Saunders | TrustRadius Reviewer
We were looking for an additional sales channel to help us grow from being just an Amazon Prime seller.
  • Great set of e-commerce tools
  • Easy setup of an online store
  • Great set of customization tools e.g. themes and apps
  • Diverse set of payment processing integrations
  • Search engine friendly URLs
  • Superior customer service to that of Shopify
  • Easy to import store from Shopify
  • More options for shipping and shipping tax calculation
  • Better tools to communicate with buyers would be nice. Perhaps a built in messaging system?
  • More control over content on the one page checkout please
I wouldn't recommend BigCommerce to a competitor as I like to have an unfair advantage. I used to use Shopify but found that they like to treat their customers like children. I moved over to BigCommerce and have found that it is a grown-up platform for grown-up professionals.
This product has enough capacity to scale up to the corporate level.
Read Jim Saunders's full review
Jayme Cuzzort | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use BigCommerce for my retail website. I use it because it networks great with Square for deducting daily sales right from my website inventory.
  • Customer service has been excellent the few times I've had to call in.
  • I have expedienced very few problems in several years of service.
  • The behind the scenes admin operations are very easy to use and figure out.
  • I'm happy with my service and have no complaints.
I have been provided with a well built site that doesn't have any downtime and functions almost flawlessly.
BigCommerce provides good service, great customer service, and no noticeable downtime.
Not using APIs, but I am integrated with Square point of sale which is good for keeping my inventory up to date in live time during sales.
Read Jayme Cuzzort's full review
November 04, 2020
We use BigCommerce to run our e-commerce web site selling luxury skincare products direct to consumer.
  • BigCommerce Customer Support is fantastic.
  • BigCommerce has consistently done upgrades and improvements to their product.
  • BigCommerce is affordable.
  • BigCommerce is extremely customizable and has a lot of 3rd party apps to do almost anything you can imagine.
  • If you're looking for a fully customizable website, this isn't for you. It is an affordable out-of-the-box solution so edits cannot be made to the main code that everyone uses.
  • The product promotions were lacking but they have updated that this year so this is now a PRO not a con.
BigCommerce is an out-of-the-box solution for e-commerce. If you don't know anything about e-commerce their program is very easy to use and they provide templates so you don't even have to know how to code. If you do know how to code you can create your own template and customize the look and feel of your store as much as you want. The products are stored in the database so when you want a new template you do not lose any of your product set up. Customer support is always available and very helpful.
BigCommerce is designed to provide a flexible and scalable software which can be deployed across multiple departments and sites as needed. We do utilize these features and have access points for different departments and different sites.
BigCommerce has partnered with companies like YotPo to provide a very robust reviews engine that includes custom questions, image and video uploads and keyword search. YotPo also has a loyalty program, content from instagram and more. Because they are partners it was very easy to integrate these great programs. We are able to tailor our website to a great detail.
October 29, 2020
It is being used for our shop and the headless, WordPress plugin is used for product pages on our corporate website. It is used across the whole organization. It helped streamline the company by having all our products in one location, but attaching them to either our shop, our product pages, or both.
  • Fast and reactive customer support
  • Developer customization is top-notch
  • Headless WordPress plugin to create a shop on WP or use it for product pages
  • Rich CMS that is very user friendly.
  • Amazing documentation on procedures...from adding products to webhooks and APIs.
  • The new page builder still needs some work.
It is well suited for companies that want a top-notch shopping experience for their customers. It is great for anyone who wants a separate shop from the corporate website or wants to incorporate a more robust shopping experience in WordPress instead of using WooCommerce. I wouldn't recommend it to small businesses with a small product listing or limited sales since the cost would cut into profit margins.
The ability to have a separate shop and also a product catalog with the WordPress plugin. All products are in one location and can be turned on or off in the shop, the catalog, or both. It also has a great social media integration to sell products via Facebook, IG, etc. that helps conversions.
We're using the storefront API to customize cart functionality. We will be implementing GraphQL API, Webhooks, and Rest API to build a front-end application in the near future. Having the open API allows us to create our own apps to work seamlessly with the BigCommerce platform.
October 17, 2020
My business is related to e-commerce, particularly within the retail industry. I manage a large catalog of products with a lot of variations. During my research into software, just two candidates reached the final round: Shopify and BigCommerce. I chose BigCommerce after I read about its capacity for handling larger catalogs of products than Shopify.
  • Managing large catalogs of products
  • Integration with a lot of cool apps for enhancing its core capabilities
  • Huge library of very customizable themes, which by the way, have super-fast page load average times
  • Core shipping rules are not very flexible. If you have complex business rules, you probably will need to pay for an app, which of course exists, but then will take from the total revenue of the business on a monthly basis, since the majority of them are not free.
  • Integration with Avalara Tax is cool, but still you will need to manually enter the right tax code for each product. Imagine the pain for a large catalog of products!
  • You will probably need to pay for a theme from a vendor to get some sort of customer service priority and attention to your particular needs. I'm very sure everyone will have one at some point.
BigCommerce is good for handling large catalogs of products. The search engine is super fast. It is not that good for advanced shipping rules.
Its core design makes it very customizable with the use of scripts and the ability to change theme code if necessary.
September 28, 2020
BigCommerce serves as our company's e-commerce platform.

Our products are displayed and sold via our BigCommerce e-store.
  • Integrate well with many applications (i.e. Constant Contact, WordPress, etc).
  • Provides many secure and relevant payment gateways.
  • Amazing and knowledgeable support staff.
  • Offers an incomparable, all-around cost-effective e-commerce platform.
  • Offer more free template themes that offer a great user experience design.
  • Provide more comprehensive analytics for Abandoned Cart.
BigCommerce is well suited in offering great out of the box themes with easy (limited) customization options.

BigCommerce can improve on bring able to support customized theme template updates so that any customizations aren't overridden/erased for theme updates.
BigCommerce is constantly updating the platform to offer the latest security, payment, and application integrations. You can scale up or down with BigCommerce seamlessly to your customers while preserving the integrity of your store.
We use several integrations to streamline our order processing, shipping, CRM and Marketing efforts.
August 31, 2020
It gives us a unique platform for selling our magic shows. Even though it is not in Spanish, it works just as it is expected. All our clients have said to us it looks professional, simple and clean. All our business is based on online selling, so we depend solely and completely on BigCommerce platform. So far we are happy with the service they provide.
  • You can easily create your product list.
  • You can adopt theme templates for free.
  • It has as SSL certificate.
  • You can easily create coupon codes.
  • Setting the tax section can be time consuming.
  • Some links are not customizable in Spanish language, but if you set it up in English you have nothing to worry about.
  • The costumer service is not very accessible, don't get me wrong, they have a fine costumer service, but the hard thing is to get to it. A lot of steps and rounds.
I think it works perfectly for any store that sells physical things like clothes, toys, books, etc. Even some digital downloads, but for shops or companies that sell shows like us, it is a little bit harder to get the optimum configuration, specially when you are starting out. If you can afford to get someone to professionally set and build your store, you'll be alright.
It is great, the scalability of this product is easy and simple, once you get to a maximum amount of sales, it automatically sets your account to the next type of account. So far, we have been able to place 30 different dates on the same product and 4 different product categories.
Currently we are not working with any APIs, at least that I'm aware off, but again, I'm not an expert user and if we are not using it is entirely my fault. Anyhow, I'm not able to give a good feedback for this APIs review section. I will look for it though.
August 31, 2020
Our site is powered by BigCommerce. We were with another company that we had to request updates from and when we got back the updates, there were errors. The people were hard to work with, they didn't seem to care about the errors, and they always seemed stressed-out by having to correct their mistakes. BigCommerce is always supportive. Their customer service & attitude are exceptional & always delightful. They always want to help you resolve anything that may come up. They are professional, kind, patient, and never keep you waiting for very long on the phone. We were able to select the type of site we wanted and it took 1/4 of the time to get it up and going as compared to the other company. The site is secure and (if you want) they assist you with your business transactions based on relationships they have made.
  • They make the development of your site stress free.
  • They give you tips on how to increase and improve your business traffic.
  • They are always willing to talk to you and they keep you informed about what's new on their platform.
  • Always someone to talk rather quickly
  • Your site never goes down--always reliable.
  • Usually, you can always recommend some improvement for a company, but with BigCommerce I can't even think of one.
We can be self-sufficient in making changes any time, any day, no waiting. We can ask questions and get answers quickly--no waiting. They support any questions you have and recommend other companies that can help you (for example, if you want a pop-up that captures email addresses that offer customers discounts).
Because at any time you always have the option of adding more to your site.
We have a choice of who we want to connect with in terms of social sites and to other selling avenues that broaden our opportunity to sell more.
December 02, 2020
I use it for everything. From web design, inventory control to shipping. The software does it all and I don’t need to be a programmer to use it. It does almost everything I need “out of the box” at a reasonable price. They offer 24/7 service by phone and I’ve received the help I needed with just a call.
  • All in one program
  • Reasonable price
  • Good service
  • Higher threshold for sales/ transactions.
  • More and better free templates.
  • Really dumb down the site creation.
I can’t see areas that need improvement. Maybe the price could be a bit cheaper? I wanted a service that did almost everything in one platform. BigCommerce fits the bill for me.
We can grow with the software. I see many departments able to use it as well.
We are still working on this. The tax and shipping API’s appear to work well for us. Time will tell with the others.
August 06, 2020
I signed up for BigCommerce towards the end of May 2020. When speaking to a sales representative, this platform was going to be so easy to use, and I was going to have an amazing looking website, and it was going to save me and my company money. Sold! So I signed a contract to start working with them.

I then started with buying a template, and quickly realized that with me using their platform, my website was going to look bad. I reached back out to BigCommerce, and they recommended me to reach out to one of their certified developers. After spending a whole week and talking to over 20 different people, the cheapest I could get anything done was for $50,000!! So much for being "easy" and "saving money."

Also, they sell you on that they have all these apps, but what they do not tell you, that a lot of the apps cost an extra 150-300 a month.

We finally found a developer that was within my budget, and they recommended using WordPress/WooCommerce. I came back to BigCommerce and said we were moving to a different platform. They came back and said I owed $15,000.00 to break my contract (even though we have no website, and it's only been active for less than 3 months).

Pretty much BigCommerce is selling a bad product, that you need to pay someone 50K to make it look good. DO NOT GO WITH BIGCOMMERCE. I have had a much better experience with Shopify and WooCommerce. I would recommend either of those before BigCommerce.
  • They are good at selling you.
  • Great at getting you to sign a contract.
  • Great app selection you need to pay for.
  • Price.
  • 3-year contracts.
  • Ripping off small businesses during the pandemic.
We were unable to get a website built for under 50K.
The integrations cost a lot of money, and the digital experience was not easy. If you do it yourself, your website will look terrible.
August 03, 2020
We use it to offer digital sheet music downloads to customers interested in learning and performing the music of Lindsey Stirling. I personally run the website and store and take care of all customer service. I have a couple of other website people as users, but I only use them when necessary.
  • It's easy to give refunds.
  • BigCommerce is easy to learn and use.
  • When we changed the domain to lindseystirling sheet music.com after having a bigcommerce.com website name, there was no way to forward the old domain to the new one. We lost a TON of traffic and years of accumulated traffic, which meant the new website wasn’t as searchable. We lost a lot of money due to this.
  • Sometimes the system logs out in the middle of uploading a digital file, and I have to start the upload over.
It’s been great as a platform for our digital media, as it pretty much runs itself, since we don’t ship anything. I appreciate the analytics pages. Customer service has always been top-notch. Whenever I’ve struggled with an issue or problem, the BigCommerce employees have been friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful in assisting me to figure things out or get issues resolved.
I appreciate the options, but I also appreciate that there are not so many options that it gets confusing. My website developer has been able to do most of the things I’ve asked and implemented them on the website, so it appears to me that the scalability is very good. I am happy with BigCommerce.
I have been able to create notifications to customers at checkout that let them know that they can save 30% if they add x number of dollars to their cart. I have also been able to create more clarity through the checkout process for the customers, as well as the ability for customers to check out as a guest and/or create an account. I have not yet figured out how to add text to encourage customers to create an account, as it would reserve their purchases for future downloads in the future should they choose, or if they lost their music.

Product catalog & listings (356)
Product management (353)
Bulk product upload (265)
Branding (310)
Mobile storefront (346)
Product variations (337)
Website integration (292)
Visual customization (347)
CMS (255)
Abandoned cart recovery (319)
Checkout user experience (343)
eCommerce security (344)
Promotions & discounts (329)
Personalized recommendations (269)
SEO (323)
Multi-site management (153)
Order processing (335)
Inventory management (294)
Shipping (300)
Custom functionality (295)

What is BigCommerce?

According to the vendor, BigCommerce is one of the leading cloud ecommerce platforms for established and rapidly-growing businesses. Combining enterprise functionality, an open architecture and app ecosystem, and market-leading performance, BigCommerce aims to help businesses to grow online sales with less cost, time, and complexity than on-premise software. BigCommerce powers B2B and B2C ecommerce for more than 60,000 brands, 2,000+ mid-market businesses, 30 Fortune 1000 companies, and industry-leading brands, including Assurant, Ben & Jerry’s, Paul Mitchell, Skullcandy, Sony, and Toyota.

The vendor says that the product provides the following benefits to customers:

Customize and innovate at a lower total cost of ownership
Build in HTML, CSS, and Javascript
96% of brands relaunch in 2-4 months
Test and push changes without downtime in a local environment

Focus on generating sales, less on monitoring security & performance
PCI DSS 3.2 certified at Level 1
99.99% median uptime
Multiple layers of security through the Google Cloud Platform

Leverage your existing tech stack with flexible APIs
90% of platform data is exposed to APIs
400+ API calls per second
Headless commerce out-of-the-box, across any front-end

Solve your toughest challenges with SaaS
B2B, Wholesale