Reviews (1-25 of 92)
- Customer orders and information. Our customer service team is able to easily and quickly assists customers that call in with questions or errors regarding their purchase (ex: address change, quantity change, etc). With the color tabs we can tell how many orders are awaiting fulfillment, completed, pending, or refunded.
- Full access o my product pages. I enjoy being able to use BigCommerce to quickly access my product pages and make any necessary information changes without having to to send requests to a web developer. I have full control of what my store pages look like.
- BigCommerce provides various Analytics reports that are helpful. Although we mainly use Google Analytics for our reporting, we also some of BigCommerce's reports such as: Purchase Funnel, Abandoned Cart, and Marketing Reports to see which avenue our customers are reaching our website.
- We have had issues with the link/ connection between BigCommerce and our email marketing platform. We cannot get our product images to load properly on abandon cart, thank-you emails, etc. This makes our emails look sloppy!
- I do not like that some (back end) product information pulls over to the product page. On the product page, under "information", the product SKU# is showing. I cannot seem to fix or hide this information and it is aesthetically pretty annoying.
- If you want the fancy stuff, you'll have to pay more.
I do not have anything else to compare BigCommerce to, but it has filled the purpose we expected it to do.
- Simple Design. Using the template files provided, it is pretty simple to build an attractive and functional site with minimal coding. Our developers still needed to make a number of specific changes to the code, but much of that was due to this specific product. So I wouldn't say you could build the site without a coder, but if the product and design are simple, you shouldn't have to rely on a developer to create the site.
- Product Functions. The bulk import/export function is useful and not too finicky. I especially like the in-browser Bulk Edit function that is similar to a spreadsheet. (Unfortunately, this function is limited in the number of options, but it is still more convenient than exporting, editing, and then reimporting a .csv of products). Also, the product options, pricing rules, and facets are very useful.
- Ease of Updates. The back-end menus are pretty self-explanatory, and some options that are used more often are broken out to make them easier to update. The Home Page Carousel, for example, is nested right under Storefront, making it quick and easy to navigate to. This is convenient, especially when handing the reins over to users who are less familiar with site architecture.
- Image Directories - Oddly, BigCommerce has at least 2 sets of image directories: One for Products, and one for content and everything else. This is awkward because it means uploading the same image twice (to use a product image in content) or pointing the source to the product image URL. This may seem nit-picky, but a unified depository for images would be very helpful.
- Product Options don't have an AND feature. Again, this may be nitpicking, but when building product options for pricing and availability, there is only an OR function. Having an AND function would allow much more versatility in the options for each product, and would save time and energy when building out the products and their options.
- Different Wysiwygs for blog pages vs everything else—the Blog/Content/News uses a different Wysiwyg/text-editor than the one used for product pages and other site pages. This is quite irritating as the one used for the blog has fewer options than the one used for everything else. Ideally, the blog would have the same (if not more) functionality than the product pages, but this is not so on BigCommerce. This necessitates a lot of custom CSS on the content side.
- Client Support: their support team is fully English speaking and based out of Austin. I've never had to wait more than 3 minutes to speak with somebody, and every single rep I've interacted with has been upbeat and ready to go above and beyond to solve the problem. They also aren't afraid to bring in more, "expensive" resources like engineers to solve a problem.
- Robust API: Plug and Play! They integrate nicely with hundred of marketing, shipping, payment, and customer service solutions, all at the click of a button.
- Ongoing Improvements: the team holds monthly town hall meetings on new improvements for everything from new integrations to new UI buildouts. The platform is constantly improving.
- Intuitive UI: easy setting interfaces and WYSIWYG editors. Even somebody without any e-commerce experience can pick up this software and build out their store.
- Analytics: the standard set isn't very robust, and they try to charge you for basic things like Sales by Item Category reporting.
- Checkout Page Customization: currently you need to know HTML/CSS to modify these, which isn't that user-friendly.
- Standard followup email customization: currently, you need to know HTML/CSS to modify these, which isn't that user-friendly.
- Easy to set up
- Compatible with Square
- Variety of themes to choose from
- Setting up and using email accounts can be frustrating
- Inventory for items with options difficult to understand
- More control over placement of products
- Impressive built-in features that enable the sales team to update the product list with ease
- Top-notch SEO tools that enable the filtering of product information for the consumers and the sales team
- Allows selling across multiple platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and products
- A non-complex interface that helps the sales team navigate through the products when making updates
- It allows multiple products to appear in the interface which is crucial when the list of products is long
- The product description can be modified to on the website to make it appealing and capture the attention of the consumers
- The terminology used may not be favorable for amateur users and the developer can improve this by using standard language
- There is also no mobile feature to manage a store on the go
- Excellent customer service, I was very pleased at how helpful and responsive they are.
- Fairly easy and straight-forward setup.
- Bulk edit feature is awesome (not all ecommerce solutions offer this).
- Customization limitations, but that's an issue with any hosted solution.
- Updates can sometimes be slow in coming.
- Fewer free themes since last big update which with the limitations on customization means you're spending more out of pocket besides the slightly high monthly fees for a theme that still will need to be customized to properly fit a client's branding.
- Offer various template for the websites
- Payment to use them
- User friendly
- able to provide assistance
- like to have more option for free templates
- have a big commerce email
- have tutorials on how to use the advance options
- Wordpress Integration: The only non-WP Engine solution for eCommerce integration with Wordpress.
- SEO Functionality: BigCommerce features more "out-of-the-box" SEO functionality than other Saas-based platforms, like Shopify.
- Payment Flexibility: BigCommerce is flexible with merchants when it comes to payment processing, which can lead to additional savings over time for merchants.
- Custom Integrations may be necessary for certain functionalities that have not been built before.
- BigCommerce is a unique platform and doesn't have as wide of a developer base as other platforms like Magento or Shopify due to the learning curve for developers.
- The initial cost to build on BigCommerce is often higher than similar Saas-based platforms like Shopify.
- Very easy to use
- Simple and not complicated
- Organized data
- More flexibilty in terms of status of orders.
- Wish they had a loyalty system that keeps track of customers' purchases
- Option to list number of items bought on the invoice
- Usability -- The interface is easy to use, so if you've never used a web management tool before BigCommerce isn't overwhelming to learn
- Editing -- Using BigCommerce is essentially a CMS tool, so little web development experience is needed
- Multi-Site Management -- It is easy to set up multiple web pages and manage all from a single sign-on
- Not a mobile option -- so cannot manage pages except from a desktop
- Spend a lot of time looking up some of the terms used within the program to understand what you're doing
Our agency 5874 are BigCommerce, Shopify, WooCommerce accredited. However BigCommerce is proving to us and our clients time-and-time again that it is the best eCommerce platform for fast-growing and mid-market brands.
The platform is easy-to-use, migrations are seamless and the cloud-based SaaS solution eliminates the hassles and costs of merchants managing a self-hosted platform, letting them focus on growing their business, with the added reassurance of PCI Level 1 compliance with automatic security updates as standard.
The ongoing 24/7 support is the best we have come across in the business, as is the 99.99% uptime, with a track record of high-peak seasonality uptime ... even during Cyber Week.
- Unparalleled Features
- Lightning Fast
- Rock-Solid Security
- Bullet-Proof Reliability
- Infinite SaaS Architecture Scalability
- Robust & Future-Proof
- Low Total Cost of Ownership
- Designers might crave more freedom for customization
- Developers might take issue with the fact that it’s not open-source
- BigCommerce is still gaining it's reputation as being a viable options for enterprise-level eCommerce
BigCommerce is however well suited for most all e-commerce businesses. The base platform is very robust and covers most needs however when the base functionality doesn't meet the client's needs the platform can be extended through the BigCommerceAPIi to meet almost any need to include custom ERP integrations if necessary.
- Creating new product postings is easier in BigCommerce than it is in Etsy. BigCommerce has an easier interface to select product categories and the like, while adding metadata, tags and other SEO necessary items is more intuitive than Etsy in our experience.
- Having a wide variety of free templates is a big bonus, as is the ability to edit them. Although we have dug deeper into the HTML code in the past to modify our site's appearance, the upgraded storefront editor is very useful. Changing colors in any part of the website is a breeze now and the two newest free templates are well designed, pleasing to the eye, and appropriately modern.
- The storefront integration with Facebook is quite useful. Being able to add the shopping feature to our company page at the click of a button was incredibly convenient.
- Having a blog built into the store has been beneficial in terms of driving visitors to our site. Sharing the links on social media brings people back to the Hoot Owl Creations page and, ideally, inspires them to at least look at the items we have for sale. Also, the blog allows our site to have more personality because we can express ourselves in the same area where we display our product, which gives visitors a better idea of who we are and what we do.
- The help section could use additional visual aides to help navigate users through the various menus and sub-menus when they are trying to figure out where something is or how to make a change to the storefront. Sometimes it can be difficult to find things because the user interface has changed since some of the articles were written and it's organized differently.
- Each template needs a guide for how large the thumbnail photos are on the front page and product pages. Twice now, with different templates, I have uploaded photos only to see there are white bars on the sides or tops of my product photos with the thumbnail images. It takes some experimenting with cropping to determine what is the correct ratio. Having an easy to find pixel measurement, such as what exists for the carousel, would be a major improvement.
- Transparency with billing could be improved; specifically in terms of where a store falls within the sales spectrum to determine if you're in the higher or lower category. When the tier simplification was announced, we were automatically placed in the higher tier even though our sales for the previous year did not exceed even 20 items. Although we got it resolved after emailing a representative, it was concerning for us as we could not afford the higher monthly payment.
- Ease of use and easy to learn.
- Fantastic interface, and very customer friendly.
- We made our first sale within hours of setting up the store.
- Functionality increases every day.
- Has recently become more expensive for high volume sellers like ourselves.
- That being said, it is worth it.
- Nothing else bad!
- Email notification when an item is purchased - this can go to multiple email addresses - it gives us a check and balance for order fulfillment. It also allows us to have some orders (merchandise) filled from one department and other orders (gift certificates) filled from another department.
- Easy set up and tutorials. I wasn't sure how to go about setting up our on-line store, however BigCommerce has video tutorials and a vast amount of information on how to do what you need to do. It's easy to follow and get the results you are looking for.
- Transactions are really seamless for us - credit cards are processed on line and deposited into our account.
- It may just be because we don't use the feature very often, but it seems like we always have to spend a little time "looking for" how to process a return/refund. Once we find it, it's easy, it's just that initial feeling of "where do I find that again?"
- Ease of use for loading new provisos and content.
- Informative changes that are being made with the platform.
- The support help center is always good at answering and addressing my questions.
- More personal feed back for what could be done to help my site with rankings
- Large selection of attractive/modern responsive templates that are very easy to customize to your brand.
- Very easy to update site software with latest version without affecting existing look & feel.
- Very responsive template designers. Company that created template I customized answered design queries and offered tech assistance all within 24 hours.
- Customer support at BigCommerce is terrific. Never had a bad experience.
- Large knowledge base of support documents and online community. Rarely did not find answer I needed in documentation.
- Blog needs major upgrade. Customization is limited. Would also be good to have plugins to expand functionality. Blog used to be a big feature on old site but not on BC.
- Add ability to offer product without any price on retail site. Right now have to finagle then it shows up as zero - need to just turn off price for some products. Ex product sample "call to inquire"
- Better more expansive email support. They have great sync with MailChimp & coupon sites. Would be better if they offered some auto sync functionality with Google Mail or Microsoft. Right now we contracted mail separate then linked and manage off BC. Not great.
- Setting up products for sale is quite intuitive and straightforward.
- Integrates well with other social media and sales platforms.
- The dashboard landing page is very user-friendly and provides easy access to assorted analytics, marketing resources and product pages.
- Having some more video tutorials available might help with more technical or challenging aspects of store set-up, especially when dealing with more complex pieces of information like shipping and tax.
- There are many features available in BigCommerce that sometimes it can feel overwhelming, even as they are features that you naturally WANT to be able to learn more about and implement. Short video tutorials that outline some of these tools and their benefits could be of great help.
- It would be useful useful to customize the dashboard or have access to 'hot links' so the site can be tailored to a particular user's preferred layout/preferences so that, for instance, a tool they use more than others is not so buried within sub-menus.
- BigCommerce excels at making customer service available around the clock. Very few places offer 24/7 customer support and it is always FREE.
- BigCommerce support staff is friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.
- There is ongoing effort to enhance the platform and to introduce new features.
- BigCommerce townhall meetings are helpful and are a great opportunity to learn more and get ideas about running your store.
- Previously BigCommerce had a feature when an order was being marked shipped, there was the ability to add a shipping note that could be read by the customer. This feature no longer exists. It was a handy feature to be able to make a note to the customer re: some pertinent information regarding the order.
There are some areas in BigCommerce such as the order status that I wished there was flexibility to add a custom status that is unique to my operations. At present, the order statuses are defined by BigCommerce and no customize status can be added.
- BigCommerce has all of your decisions sitting right in front of you so that you don't forget anything! All of the options for entering sizing/inventory availability/customization are right there so you can be up and out of the gates quickly.
- 24/7 tech support. I found the support people to be fantastic. This was a huge deal for me in picking an e-commerce platform. I'm no coder and I didn't want to spend hours (or weeks) learning - having a 24/7 tech support on hand, not just by a chat, but a real person you can speak to on the phone - this is awesome!
- The interface itself educates you. The tabs for marketing offer an array of options for putting banners or coupons. They are quite intuitive and straightforward to configure. This coupon element (I offered free shipping over £50 purchase) have really helped drive people to up the value of the shopping carts.
- I find templates lacking - there should be more current designs, like one page parallax type templates.
- I liked the older interface and am still not fully used to the new interface.
- It should be more clear that you can pre-pay a year for a discount!
- Perhaps video tutorials in addition to the online blog support?
Review: "Superior Service, Pricing & Features: BigCommerce Is A Perfect Fit For Your E-Commerce Business"
- Superior Customer Service that I can access at all hours. Being a small biz designer, I'm often working on my site late at night, so love to still have access to really knowledgeable tech assistance at any time of that day, so I can get things fixed or figured out and continue my work.
- The ability to customize most of the templates to a high degree makes my artistic eye happy and is a big plus for me, as it gives the look of a customized website without the large expense of one. Loads of apps and plug-ins to extend custom functionality and features that suit your business. And if I want to customize my coding, I can do that too. Like that they have partner sites that know the BigCommerce coding and architecture, which saves them time, and thereby saves me money.
- Keeping my overhead low is very important to a small indie business, so I love the great plan levels and pricing of BigCommerce. Also love the fact that unlike some other popular template site competitors, BigCommerce gives you all the features for your monthly price, inclusive, without the practice of charging lots of "nickel & dime" extra and feature charges (as other business owners have told me they've experienced on other platforms).
- After working with Big Commerce teams, themes and changes for over 5 years, I'd honestly say that they are pretty responsive to any of the issues that might arise or exist. They have always been upfront and honest about the timing of how long a fix might take, and have always worked quickly to address the most important ones.
- The only issues I've had are small ones that I can usually get them to either address in a number of hours or a few days. Some that were a bit more unusual, I had been able to have a tech help me find an immediate workaround to address some issue. If it is a true technical issue, bug or glitch, they always issue a ticket immediately, and I've seen most every issue get taken care of quickly.
- I feel overall very happy with BigCommerce. For me, it does just what I want. And considering that technical issues are an inevitable part of having a site, for me - having a technically-savvy customer service team that is so responsive means the world to me. It makes the difference to feel I've always been taken care of when things don't go quite right or when issues arise. Truly appreciate that they don't have just a 'cookie-cutter' or call-center type of customer service department.
- The only exception I feel I could cite for improvement was the more recent roll-out of the new STENCIL theme from Pixel Union, which took a few months longer than I had hoped, and was confusing to both customer service reps and to customers. Also wanted to not have such a long wait to for the ability of customizations and more flexibility. Better planning for the beta-testing, various designs and final roll-outs might be in order for future theme upgrades.
- Unlimited bandwidth - even on a low traffic site, you want this. Bandwidth adds up quick - both on the customer side and the management end
- Free template availability - they have lots - mobile ready too!
- Management portal - very intuitive and easy to use
- I'd like to have the abandoned shopping cart reminders added into my level
- Some default SEO - where keywords and metadata are automatically added based upon the data entered
- Included Amazon integration - there's already eBay - how about adding Amazon!
BigCommerce Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
BigCommerce Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||60%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||30%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||10%|
BigCommerce Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
BigCommerce Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Mobile Web|