BigCommerce Reviews

Elexis Craig | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 07, 2020

Love BigCommerce

I use BigCommerce for my online store. I make customized items like tumblers, T-shirts, and more. I am the sole owner and operator of the store. I use it to display my items for sale.
  • Multiple themes to choose from with many editing options
  • Offers apps to help keep track of shipping, taxes, and more
  • Beautiful professional style websites
  • It's quite a bit of a learning curve when transitioning from a simpler web developer.
  • Some of the "upgrades" are very expensive for some small business owners.
BigCommerce is great for online stores, even with the select themes there are so many ways to customize them to give them your own look, plus you can upload your own for your unique store. I highly recommend BigCommerce for online stores. I really don't know of a way it would be inappropriate as I only use it for an online store. It's just a steep learning curve transitioning from a lot of the simpler web developers.
BigCommerce has really helped me to grow my business and has several different add-ons to help you save time for more important things, like the backup app that stores all of your items should your site crash. You don't have to upload everything one by one again. There is also a tax app to calculate and keep track of your taxes, shipping apps to help keep track of orders and purchase and print labels quickly and easily, and more.
I use the Facebook integration but I have no clue what an API is or how it's used. I'm not very tech-savvy and that's where the tech support really comes in to help--friendly and quick to figure out the issue or help you to understand a certain feature and how to use it.
Read Elexis Craig's full review
Drew Supernor | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 12, 2020

Highly recommend BigCommerce to anyone looking to sell online!!

We started using BigCommerce when we were looking to set up our own internal online store rather than sourcing it to a 3rd party. We use it to sell team merchandise such as apparel, novelty, jerseys, as well as authentic game-used and signed items. We had a killer promotional night this past season in which we rebranded ourselves the Springfield Ice-O-Topes. BigCommerce allowed us to sell jerseys to 10 plus countries as well as 40 states. It has allowed us to get our gear out into the community without individuals having to purchase their gear in person at a game.
  • The abandoned cart feature has been really helpful and time-saving. Before upgrading to plus, I would manually reach out to individuals who had abandoned carts to see if they needed any assistance or to remind them about their cart. Now I don't need to do it as the abandoned cart feature does it for me.
  • Love the integration with Shopkeep, which is what we use as our in-arena POS. I create items there and are very easily able to integrate them into BigCommerce only having to make slight changes before making a product live on the site.
  • I like customer analytics. I'm able to see which customers are spending the most money as well as how often they are spending. I've typically reached out to the individuals who've spent the most at the end of the year and give them a coupon code for a % off future purchases as a thank you for their support.
  • My main concern has been regarding fraud purchases using stolen credit cards. It seems like there are individuals who test one card after another all hours of the night at times. This results in me getting hundreds of emails saying products are out of stock or low inventory as they are attempting to buy expensive products that there aren't many left off. It's been very annoying at times.
  • I think there could be some tweaks to the analytics where you can get a better breakdown of what you're looking for.
I would highly recommend using BigCommerce. For our professional sports team that sells team merchandise, BigCommerce has worked extremely well and is very reasonably priced when starting out. I've actually recommended BigCommerce to a couple of other teams that have reached out about our online store and who we use. For anyone selling any kind of product, I believe BigCommerce would work very well. It has also allowed us to take preorders for products with high demand so that we have a better idea of how much to order or so you can start getting cash for the products before they arrive.
As our store grows, BigCommerce grows as well. As we start making more money, BigCommerce scales as well. Our cost goes up, but we are given more features that help grow our business even further! The price started off very reasonable at under $30 a month. It was a no-brainer at that price to at least test out BigCommerce. As we grew as a business more options open up for us within the product itself.
I absolutely love the integration with Shopkeep. That's actually how we found out about BigCommerce. Having these companies work together opened up the ability to set up our online store through BigCommerce. It wouldn't have been fun if I had to recreate all the products I had in shopkeep. Being able to just turn products on in shopkeep and enabling them in BigCommerce was extremely helpful.
Read Drew Supernor's full review
Andy Pollard | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 05, 2020

A happy non-techy user's honest review of BigCommerce, being used with great confidence

BigCommerce is being used by my company as our sole online presence and very important e-commerce portal. In many ways, our BigCommerce website has become the center of our business and marketing life. Currently, everything is geared around making sure the website is up-to-date and accurate, and all other systems then fall in line with it--not the other way around, which is how it was in the past.
Our website is the 'shop window' to the world, and although most international sales are not made using it, the successful way it works means we get seen by a large number of people in many countries.
  • It is a great system to use out of the box. It's fairly easy to learn how to use, and has a speedy operation for updating and day-to-day maintenance.
  • The wide variety of options for themes is excellent.
  • It is also very scaleable, so that you can start in a controlled way and progress to a very comprehensive set-up
  • It has been such a success for us, as we have seen web-sales double in two years, and this is now five times higher than our previous e-commerce website.
  • I find managing the home page to be a bit bothersome, as in some ways this is the main area where some specialist assistance is required. Some places are editable by an average user, but not all, and this is frustrating.
  • Additionally to the above, the home page is not found through the usual 'web pages' route for maintenance, or via 'storefront,' it is found in marketing, which is a complete mystery to me whenever I go looking for it.
  • Also, the home page options are really limited to flying banners (very good if you have few products and want it jazzy) or static pods (ok but not very modern) the various theme options give a fair degree of choice, but you still end up thinking. I wish I could just edit this home page as simply as the other web pages
It seems very suitable for most applications with few products or designer items. The banners and themes give great views to visitors to your site. If you have lots of products like Wardsflex, using the pods seems to be the best way to present them to give purchasers quick access to a particular area of the shop.
I am unable to advise where it would not be appropriate, as I have not found this scenario.
I have found no barriers to either using it simply as a start-up, to now using it with over 1000 products in over 100 categories. I have also not found any limits to the number of images or pages or text that can be added and yet the performance remains excellent for any visitors. Additionally, the charging structure allows for lower costs with lower turnover, which then increases with the success of your sales.
As a non-techy user, I am not sure of the correct meaning of this, and only have a small amount of customization. However, it is fairly simple to link in videos and content.
It would be a 10 if only the front page was easier to edit
Read Andy Pollard's full review
Katie Rose Alford | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 27, 2020

BigCommerce gave us Big Online Sales! Best E Commerce Platform!

Our company wanted an online platform to sell our product. Big Commerce came to the rescue! I had absolutely no experience with website building, SEO, etc and this platform made it so easy, our sales have grown drastically every year. Thank you BC!
  • Excellent at SEO and Organic search results works with a variety of SE and made it so easy to integrate with other large platforms such as Amazon, FB, etc.
  • Easy to customize with Wordpress and it walks you through the steps. Online Selling made easy by BC!
  • Their support staff is excellent and allows you to integrate live quotes from various shippers, set up where you want to sell, integrate Google ads, etc.
  • I would like to see a promo code for products that allows you to combine quantities form the same product group for discounted pricing.
  • The ability to see if a guest account has ordered before if possible?
  • Honestly this platform is incredible.
Well suited for any company that needs an online store to sell products with a checkout page. I would not recommend for a store simply with just a contact page. If you need to be able to allow your product to be customized and/or purchased online this is the right platform for you!
This platform is the best out there! It makes the user feel at ease, allows previews and drafts to be saved, online blogging, SEO presence, organic search results, integrated analytics, and additional selling platforms, the possibilities are endless with BigCommerce. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering an eCommerce store.
We were able to integrate our email campaigns, Facebook Marketplace, Amazon, E Bay and our internal software inventory API to automatically update our inventory in real-time. The legacy and API settings make even the most inexperienced user able to cross-sell across multiple platforms without having to input the product and or information multiple times.
Read Katie Rose Alford's full review
Jeanna Haag | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 14, 2020

Awesome E-Commerce Building Tool

We are using BigCommerce to launch our new website. Our current website is out of date and we like the framework of BigCommerce. The website is a much needed asset for our company and we are working to get more of our customers using the new website. We will be marketing it once we launch the website in January.
  • It is easy to customize the templates provided as long as you know CSS and HTML. I've done a lot of customization for our website to really help it stand out.
  • BigCommerce offers a lot of things that are considered add-ons on places like Shopify where you have to pay extra for them.
  • The main thing that I know many people including myself have asked for are one time art charges as an option.
  • At first it seemed like there were not many apps, but more are being added. I would suggest to continue to add more in the future.
I think BigCommerce can easily work for any company wanting to sell products. Not only are there several options built into it, but you can also get apps for anything not already available. There are also partners who can do custom coding for you for an additional fee and the boards are a great place to get answers.
BigCommerce provides many different apps and themes to make each website unique and user friendly. We have already decided to switch our other websites to BigCommerce because it is easy to get up and going. BigCommerce has a large set of partners to help make customizations easy. Each theme is mobile friendly providing users with ready to use websites even without customization.
We are using the API's to add in our own instant chat for our customers.
Read Jeanna Haag's full review
Jennifer Mileli | TrustRadius Reviewer

Great for simple storefronts

I run an online business, so BigCommerce is my selling platform.
  • I love the simplicity of the website and inventory.
  • Being able to run sales and coupons is great and very easy.
  • Customer accounts and logging in could be easier.
  • The graphics for the storefront banner are difficult to manage.
It is easy to use, and I haven't had any problems with inventory, customers, shipping, etc. Coupons and running sales are easy to do as well. The customer support chat is always available and helpful. I have used other sales platforms, and they were not as user-friendly as BigCommerce.
I have not had a problem that is not easily fixed by the support so far.
Read Jennifer Mileli's full review
Jack Bendrihem | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 26, 2020

SUPER Big E-Commerce at affordable prices

We use Big Commerce to sell our broad range of customer print products that are primarily paper-based; brochures, posters, postcards, etc. We use it as an extension of our business, and it is not our primary income generator. The biggest advantage of having BigCommerce is that when customers need pricing on a range of various products, we simply direct them to our site. For example, if a customer needs a brochure/pamphlet printed and they require folding, the system will illustrate the fold based on their choice. It's very cool.
  • Their live chat help is very, well, HELPFUL. They simply DO NOT re-direct us to an FAQ page....they help us solve problems. And if by chance they cannot help, then they escalate the issue to those with more technical savvy. By helping us, they are also helping themselves. Our problems are their opportunities for improvement.
  • Sometimes it is too difficult and too time-consuming to resolve an issue over chat. It's also frustrating. At some point during an arduous chat, the operator should offer up the option to discuss over the phone.
  • BigCommerce gives us a wonderful platform by which we can offer our products, and that's all good and fine, but reaching a market is another task in itself. They have gained my trust as a loyal customer, and it would be great if they could also help my business grow by offering SEO/marketing services.
BigCommerce is well suited for those selling products, but a bit more difficult when it comes to companies like mine that are trying to sell printing.
I am not sure exactly to what you are referring to. If you are referring to our website, then I would have to say that the site is very well equipped to handle an immense amount of business volume.
We use several APIs, which have made the experience and functioning of our website more intuitive and robust. The most important integration is that with PayPal Payments with Braintree. We also have integration with JotForm and PureChat.
  • Online training
  • no training
they are a great solid knowledgable staff.. worldwide,too! someone is always awake somewhere in this world to take my email and respond.. even on the phone at times! LOVE BC!
because it is easy to use, once it is setup.. It isn't a one day sort of thing; you don't say on Monday "hey, I"m going to start selling my widgets with a big commerce website" and expect it to be up and running by Friday! NOPE! You have to put in some time and get it done but once it is done and running, it is seamless... The best!
Read Jack Bendrihem's full review
Carlos Chanlatte | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 22, 2020

Great eCommerce solution with very little issues.

BigCommerce is currently being used to handle our entire eCommerce platform; therefore, our entire company utilizes this service throughout our organization. As a product/service, BigCommerce allows us to handle the eCommerce aspects of our business with a simple and effective solution. BigCommerce also allows us to easily expand our operation whenever needed with many available integration options.
  • Speed of eCommerce site
  • Amount of third-party integration options
  • Pricing could be more competitive
  • Some third-party integrations do not work as well as expected (could party be due to third-party developer)
BigCommerce should truly fit almost all businesses that are looking to implement an eCommerce solution. I would highly recommend it for anyone that is looking for an alternative to WordPress/Woocommerce, since that solutions always seems to fall far behind in regards to site speed when compared to BigCommerce. BigCommerce is also a great solution for anyone looking to manage their eCommerce solution with a very user-friendly interface.

There are some instances in which solutions such as Shopify may be better when factoring in the cost of the solution. BigCommerce does offer some great plans; however, there are instances in which you have to upgrade to a higher plan if you just want one small feature that the other plan offers since there is no option to add individual features a la carte.
When we started utilizing BigCommerce, we were initially looking for a better alternative to WordPress/WooCommerce from a speed perspective. However, since the initial migration, we have implemented many additions to the site such as ApplePay, AmazonPay, loyalty rewards and integration with our point-of-sale. We were able to implement all of these features very easily with minimal cost and effort.
When it comes to customization, we initially only used their theme editor to make some minor changes to the themes that we chose to utilize. However, since then, we have used the APIs and integrations available to provide a better experience for users such as the option to pay with numerous popular online wallets. This option has led to customers feeling more secure about making online payments which in turn has led to higher sales.
Read Carlos Chanlatte's full review
Magnus von Brömsen | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 04, 2020

My favorite eCommerce platform is BigCommerce

I have been an eCommerce consultant for a long time. I started with Zen Cart then to Magento and PrestaShop. To make better advice to my clients (and learn new things), I started my own web store, as a hobby project. First on Shopify, but after a few months, switched to BigCommerce.

As a frontend developer, I really like the way all the templates files are organized in BigCommerce. It's a straight forward job to move things around, and by using the barebone theme Cornerstone, all the functionality is already in place. The Twig template system is good, but Shopify's Liquid templates are a tiny bit more readable for me.

The support is great: quick, correct, and friendly response. BigCommerce is also very open about development and listens to the users/developers. I really like their Town Hall meetings.

Handling orders and products is very easy and intuitive. Handling orders involves two clicks: capture the payment and ship the order. This can be done on several orders at once. What I miss are some ready-made apps that solve some issues for shipping from and within Sweden.
  • Theme development
  • You can run a local version of the store for development
  • Tier pricing out-of-box
  • Good price model
  • Very good technical SEO
  • Lazy loading of images (with Cornerstone)
  • Better e-mails design
  • Custom tracking link for shipments
I would say that BigCommerce is suitable for most consumer products. For my store that sells physical products (nicotine pouches) with tier prices (1, 5, or 10) it fits perfectly.

I don't know how well it suits if you sell services.
I need to figure out a quicker and more streamlined workflow when handling more then 50 orders a day.
I'm not using the APIs at the moment.
Read Magnus von Brömsen's full review
William Stewart | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 21, 2020

BigCommerce - Great value

It is used to host our e-commerce platform for our retail store. We use its website templates, third party channel integrations, and plug-ins for shipping, marketing, etc.
  • Third party marketplace integration
  • Platform stability & reliability
  • More control over some aspects of the website template such as size of the carousel
  • Support more marketplace channels
Excellent e-commerce turn-key solution.
BigCommerce is missing some features but not many.
Read William Stewart's full review
Ioritz Blanco | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 03, 2020

BigCommerce gets your needs covered.

It is used by different departments to either create listings, post blogs, add discounts, do refunds, manage accounts, etc.
  • Very easy interface to use.
  • Fast to create listings.
  • Very limited options for changes.
  • No options to create templates (for example when creating listings) that could save lot of time.
For new businesses that just want to have a website running and start selling, I would totally recommend BigCommerce. However, once your company grows bigger, the system is sort of rigid where you don't have a way to change lots of functionality aspects. You need to either learn how to program or hire a programmer.
I think BigCommerce is what it is. It's very useful when you are starting, but in my opinion doesn't offer much versatility once you grow and want to use the website in different ways. It's too rigid and has few options to personalize the website or make it more unique.
We use APIs to communicate with 3rd companies. They work fine.
Read Ioritz Blanco's full review
John Fink | TrustRadius Reviewer

BigCommerce Downfall

It is my website hoster. BigCommerce is very user-friendly although I think their security against DoS and DDoS attacks could be better. My annual intake is approximately 40 percent of what it was 8 years ago.
  • Update your website
  • Excellent customer service
  • Storefront options
  • More help examples done on YouTube
Well suited if you need a user-friendly setup and additional product upgrading. I wish there was an easier way to change pricing rather than the CSV file method now used.
Read John Fink's full review
Nicole Schnobrich | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 22, 2020

BigCommerce works well for SMALL businesses

As a small business we use it as our internet sales platform and use the shipping features. Currently we are not sending promotional emails but we have Mailchimp installed and ready to go.
  • Excellent customer service
  • Easy interface
  • Can’t think of anything right now
I don’t know why BigCommerce wouldn’t be appropriate for someone. It’s easy to understand and use. Customizable and expandable with apps. The customer service is very good and the price acceptable.
We rate it high for the purpose of user friendliness even though we only had one other experience with Magento. But Magento dropped us being a small business and so we came to BigCommerce and are very happy about it.
Unfortunately our IT person passed away and this is all new to us. In the near future we have to find someone to help us with this side of the business.
Read Nicole Schnobrich's full review
Christi Jensen | TrustRadius Reviewer

BIgCommerce Is A Good Solution for sellers using Square P2P

BigCommerce is being used across the whole operation - meaning this is our main online POS system. We use it to connect our Square in-store POS to our online presence wich is solely hosted by BigCommerce. This is the best solution we've found.
  • Connects well with Square
  • SEO optimized
  • Square updates have recently been super buggy. This was terrible during the holidays when we had to cancel several online orders when BIgCommerce didn't update our online stock during super busy in-store sales.
  • I'd like more control over my landing page and internal pages, but without coding skills, am stuck with my template's parameters.
I'd say it's most appropriate if you are using Square for in-person sales and want inventory online to reflect actual inventory. When it's working, it's a huge help. If you're already using WordPress or Squarespace for your shop, you might find Shopify a better fit.
Feel like you can use BIgCommerce for just about any size operation.
We've only used it in that we've bought several templates over time from designers using the API.
Read Christi Jensen's full review
Joon Lee | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 17, 2020

BigCommerce Review

We use it to sell our product online, both wholesale and retail.
  • One stop solution for our e-commerce needs.
  • Easy to learn and use.
  • Price could be better.
  • 3rd party vendors constantly bothering us.
For a small business like us, it is a one-stop solution for our e-commerce. Not sure about any other situation.
I do not think the way our company uses it qualifies us to determine the product's overall scalability yet.
I am not familiar with the term API and do not think our company currently uses this function.
Explained on previous question. Got friendly customer support, every time I called in.
I am happy
Read Joon Lee's full review
rick templeton | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 13, 2020

Posoz life with BigCommerce web site provider

Small direct marketing company using BigCommerce as portal for website.
  • Cross platform to eBay.
  • Easy to use.
  • We have a problem with weights when sending to our shipping company, 100 grams is changed to 100 KG.
  • Shipping costs localized to Australian Post Codes.
Find it easy to program but there could be improvements in the shipping area.
Could be better?
Have connected to Pack And Send shipping portal.
Read rick templeton's full review
January 22, 2020

Definitely recommend BigCommerce, especially for a growing e-commerce company

We use BigCommerce for our e-commerce store. It forms an integral part of our business, as our longer-term plans are to use our BigCommerce listings to launch on new marketplaces. BigCommerce is currently used by our sales, marketing and customer service teams.
  • Simple and easy to use interface - easy to set up products, configure a store and use, whether novice or expert.
  • Unlimited functionality - you can either use a basic template and stick with that or customise it as much as required. Plenty of shipping and payment options connect with it.
  • App store made easier to refine. There seems to be a lot of apps there when you know the names to search for, but some of the filters are a bit limited.
We found BigCommerce to be the most viable solution for our business due to the business size and scope of growth. Previously we were on Magento, which was too much for what we needed. BigCommerce is excellent for a moderately sized business that expects to grow significantly medium to long term. Some of the smaller platforms (e.g. Shopify) aren't designed for this, which then means all the upheaval of switching platforms. With BigCommerce, we can stick with this platform indefinitely as our business grows.

For a small start up, or where a shopping cart is not required, BigCommerce probably isn't appropriate.
BigCommerce seems the best platform for a growing business that anticipates large growth.
We integrate with a number of review tools, which help boost the credibility of the business and convert sales. We are looking at product listing tools to push our BigCommerce product listings out to other channels. We've also integrated shipping tools to streamline the process.
January 16, 2020

Using BigCommerce as an Omni-Channel Retailer

We currently use BigCommerce for our eCommerce website. It is not being used across the whole organization. It is managed separately from our brick and mortar store and our other online marketplaces. With online shopping growing every year, BigCommerce allows us to adapt to the times and offer the same products to our customers wherever they choose to shop.
  • The integrations with other apps and services are very nice. There is a wide selection to choose from to accomplish almost anything.
  • We have a managed account and our account manager has always been receptive of our concerns and addresses them immediately. He has participated in support calls to ensure we get the service we expect.
  • The built-in customizations on BigCommerce are robust and allow you to potentially build a website without hiring a developer.
  • We have a connection with Channel Advisor. The quality of the connection is extremely poor. This seems to be primarily attributed to the feed coming from BigCommerce and the format of the content. We have several occasions where a product that is in stock and available is not visible on the storefront and therefore not available for purchase. This issue has never been resolved.
  • When it comes to connecting to platforms like Google Analytics and Google Ads, we have had issues with product data not coming through correctly, again because of the format of the content on BigCommerce.
BigCommerce is well suited for smaller vendors who own their own brands. As a retailer, we do not have our own branded product and therefore need to adhere to many different companies policies regarding advertising and pricing. If you have a large selection of products with lots of variations like we do, you will probably experience issues.
We already have a very large catalog, but we have not been able to pull in the traffic to the site that we expected. Honestly, we are using other resources that integrate with BigCommerce, not BigCommerce itself, to scale our business. Scaling the business for a business that is already at our size is rather difficult. We do millions on Amazon and our BigCommerce website won't even break 100,000 this year, and it's our second year on the platform.
We have integrations with Channel Advisor, ShipStation, SearchSpring, Stamped.io, Social Intents, MailChimp, Sales & Orders, and Google Analytics. Without these integrations, our website would be doing next to no business. These integrations are crucial for us to do any business on BigCommerce. However, the quality of the connections is spotty especially with Channel Advisor which then, in turn, affects all the other connections. We have had issues were a number of our products are not visible on the website because the API connection between Channel Advisor and BigCommerce is faulty.
May 10, 2020

Incredible customer service

We sell merch to our online community. Our online community is from all parts of the world, so having an online-based store really helps with connectivity.
  • Answering questions.
  • Being available to answer questions 24/7.
  • Web store themes are really professional looking.
  • Link between Square and BigCommerce is currently broken.
They were amazing when I was setting up my account, always available to answer the phone and answer any questions.
You can make your store as small as you like or as large as you like.
Great online experience.
April 04, 2020

Service that gives you more for less

We utilize the Big Commerce Platform for our website, Their platform, and their partner's applications help my website to improve and be managed effectively without any coding. The customer service is great, they are willing and capable of helping with any problem. They also have more technical help if we need it. They also have a blog and community where you can find help for more technical issues.
  • Very or no maintenance
  • Great service
  • Reasonable pricing
  • Well protected platform
  • Our website has never had a problem since I began using Big Commerce.
  • They have a monthly webinar that they use to announce new additions to their service.
  • New partners the they involve in more development.
  • Follow up with your request.
Any concern, or problem for us they are willing to help. You get less time to spent and you have more time to do more for your business.
Great Platform.
I have three suppliers, and I can add more products to my store catalog. I can have many active pages with any volume of data.
March 20, 2020

Our BigCommerce Overall Experience

As a manufacturer and direct seller of automatic pet feeders for small indoor and outdoor pets including fish, we have been using BigCommerce for direct sales to customers with good results, although our site is not really being found as it should in searches without using Google Ads. That is the only and main serious drawback. That issue was not existent years back when switching to BigCommerce. Tech service, however, has been excellent.
  • Excellent and quick tech service access 24-7.
  • Good integration of third party review apps.
  • Good third party shipping options.
  • Much better site visibility to be found by potential customer searches, which I would rate at 2 out of 10.
  • Our site is basically blind to searches unless using third party advertising. Not good and very expensive.
  • Overall and "most importantly," our site being in the shadows is a real problem that was non-existent years ago. A real issue!
Good platform with good ability to list and sell products, but site visibility to prospective customer searches is real bad. Cannot sell if not found.
Again, site visibility to potential customers from online searches is awful no matter how great reviews are. Google or other type ads have to be used which is very bad to our bottom line. Our sales have been reduced to about 1/5th what we used to do 5 years ago. All due mostly to the above issue. Our site should be at least found in the top 4-5 pages without spending thousands in third party ads.
All is find in this department.
Great and quick access to knowledgeable and courteous staff
January 31, 2020

Perfect CMS for large inventory e-commerce sites

We use BigCommerce to run our e-commerce department. It helps streamline communication across all of our product departments as well as keep us organized between our brick and mortar and online sales. BigCommerce's customizable templates have also helped give our website a newer, refreshed look. Our e-commerce is running at a much higher capacity thanks to BigCommerce.
  • Modern, customizable templates.
  • Amazing inventory software. The best in the business.
  • Customer service tends to have terrible communication. When problems arise, they try to put the blame on the customer instead of solving the problem.
BigCommerce works for businesses with a massive inventory like ours. We have thousands of products available for purchase at any given time and BigCommerce supplies us with the tools to keep it all organized. We can build each product page with the exact specs of each individual product, and track the inventory down to a single-digit without one instance of an error. Customer service leaves a lot to be desired. We have dealt with them for the better of three years and we rarely get our problem solved. We get passed from developer to developer, always trying to shift blame to us, instead of helping us solve our problem. We typically find a workaround on our own.
BigCommerce brought our old website, where we were extremely limited on what we could do and brought it to where it is now, a fully customized e-commerce site with more products than we were ever able to feature before. Our inventory has already double what it was before just because of the streamlined inventory system. Bulk editing has also helped us make price changes much quicker.
We are currently not using any of the open API's like the one we need open is currently still closed to users. We have a unique gift certificate system that BigCommerce's current checkout cannot accommodate. An open checkout API would definitely help, but I understand why it is closed to users.
January 31, 2020

Love what BigCommerce does for us!

BigCommerce is our primary interface for interacting with our customers. Everyone uses the platform to look at analytics, sales, orders, and to plan pricing strategies, etc. As a small company--but true for companies of any size--it’s crucial that we are able to be efficient and effective in dealing with customer orders and planning sales.
  • We love the apps that are available to integrate seamlessly with BigCommerce.
  • Up-time
  • Occasionally, we have to add an order manually to the system (for an older customer). The payment feature of that can be a bit kludgy.
  • We would like to see even more financial impact tools native to the app.
We think BigCommerce fits well for a wide variety of industries and businesses. In particular, we believe it’s ease of use makes it a great “first” e-commerce platform for beginners, and there is plenty of functionality for seasoned experts as well. Retail is clearly the central focus for BigCommerce, but the platform would work well for many other industries looking to add a point of sale as well.
I don’t know if it’s possible to set up roles/sign-ons for different levels of a company or not. (If not, then I think that feature would be valuable for a larger business than mine.) But the app does appear to be very scalable, and the up-time has been excellent.
We have not had the need yet to utilize the open APIs in BigCommerce but are very happy with a variety of integrations offered, many of which are included in the price of BigCommerce. Use of QuickBooks integration speeds up tax time; we love Avalara to keep us on top of complex sales tax calculations for online sales; and ShipStation is one of our favorites.
January 23, 2020

Best for B2B Equipment Sales

We use BC for multiple stores—from basic for online catalog listing only (no prices), startup stores and pro stores. It handles product options exceptionally well, good for configuring various systems. Customers require the ability to select their equipment options and accessories.
  • Product configuration/options/variations
  • Multiple SKU
  • Shipping options
  • Email is frequently broken
Same pricing as Shopify, but a bit more limited/expensive for customization, but handles product variations much better. Great for broad product range or equipment with multiple variations.
Great for larger stores, but limited customization options and poor credit card processing would make me start small stores elsewhere.
We use a few, but most apps are subscription only, per storefront. Far more expensive than Shopify.
January 23, 2020

We are small but BigCommerce has much to offer us as well

We use BigCommerce for our online store. We process all of our direct to consumer orders. We have attached it to many forms of online payment, and utilize for inventory as well. BigCommerce has given us a one-stop solution for many of our online activities, most of all the sales, but also as a base for our other resellers to get product information and photos of the current product line.
  • Easy order processing.
  • Easy product on boarding.
  • It is a bit too complex of a tool for our needs as a small company with a limited SKU count.
  • We know it is customizable, but with a non-dedicated-to-the-web-store staff, it would help if it were a bit easier to manipulate for those who do not have a design or a software degree.
For companies with a larger customer base and a larger SKU count, the tools are great. It is a bit too much for us, but I can see a medium-sized company with several hundred SKUs making a nice web store with BigCommerce.
I know it offers tools and customization suitable for large-scale SKU counts. We have never had to use these, but I have heard that several large corporations use BigCommerce because of these features. The functionality is very good on the order processing and product upload side, and that makes life easier no matter how large or small the product offering is.
Unfortunately, we do not take advantage of these features as we should. Once again, not having a dedicated staff to tend to the platform and take advantage of all of its capabilities is a problem.

Product catalog & listings (335)
Product management (332)
Bulk product upload (247)
Branding (292)
Mobile storefront (325)
Product variations (317)
Website integration (275)
Visual customization (328)
CMS (237)
Abandoned cart recovery (301)
Checkout user experience (324)
eCommerce security (324)
Promotions & discounts (308)
Personalized recommendations (253)
SEO (304)
Multi-site management (142)
Order processing (316)
Inventory management (277)
Shipping (281)
Custom functionality (280)

About BigCommerce

According to the vendor, BigCommerce is one of the leading cloud ecommerce platforms for established and rapidly-growing businesses. Combining enterprise functionality, an open architecture and app ecosystem, and market-leading performance, BigCommerce aims to help businesses to grow online sales with less cost, time, and complexity than on-premise software. BigCommerce powers B2B and B2C ecommerce for more than 60,000 brands, 2,000+ mid-market businesses, 30 Fortune 1000 companies, and industry-leading brands, including Assurant, Ben & Jerry’s, Paul Mitchell, Skullcandy, Sony, and Toyota.

The vendor says that the product provides the following benefits to customers:

Customize and innovate at a lower total cost of ownership
Build in HTML, CSS, and Javascript
96% of brands relaunch in 2-4 months
Test and push changes without downtime in a local environment

Focus on generating sales, less on monitoring security & performance
PCI DSS 3.2 certified at Level 1
99.99% median uptime
Multiple layers of security through the Google Cloud Platform

Leverage your existing tech stack with flexible APIs
90% of platform data is exposed to APIs
400+ API calls per second
Headless commerce out-of-the-box, across any front-end

Solve your toughest challenges with SaaS
B2B, Wholesale