BigCommerce Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Peggy Steffens profile photo
We use BigCommerce to manage our website. We have a couple of employees no longer with us, which left learning the program up to myself and my IT person. We only sell some products online so it is a very huge benefit to have tutorials and a help center to address concerns. Sometimes it's simply updating a product image or verbiage, adding new products, or removing older products. Other times we have to revamp and update entire sections or add sections. Our social media team works on with IT for those. Recently we had a popup that I didn't know where it came from and how to adjust it. BigCommerce provides tools to make this process pretty easy. I have never done this before so maneuvering has been a challenge that I feel capable of now. There are many more tools available to me that I still need to learn about to get the full benefit.
  • Orders are readily available with all pertinent information. Multiple search options make any one customer easy to find. Customer accounts can also easily be adjusted when necessary for changes after being placed, but before being charged. Sometimes customers don't realize there is an error until they review the email received after ordering and then it's a hassle. Big Commerce eliminates that hassle.
  • Website product adjustments and updates are pretty simple. The system is easy to upload images to, add info or even shut off viewing until the product is ready.
  • We have multiple websites for different products and having the ability to personalize them individually is great. Different themes and setups are necessary and made available by BigCommerce.
  • My main struggle has been with multiple sites sharing data to the same web page. We had a popup that we didn't know where it came from, it took many moons to figure it out. Turns out it was another site. I don't know if there is anyway for BigCommerce to know that because we tried several fixes and found it on another site's 'popup' feature.
  • We do have a different site that manages the reviews on our web page. So that feature is not utilized.
  • Free Shipping is an option to turn on or off for each product. It would be nice if that feature had more options (like the coupon codes do). Maybe we could have free shipping on domestic packages, but not out of the country since fees are extremely different.
I do not know how to code, so the info available here has been very useful and helpful and easy to learn and use given my lack of knowledge. If you were well-versed in coding and could write your own web page I imagine you wouldn't need it. That is not the case here. I still feel that it would make adding data so much easier even if you could do it all yourself. The reports and data compiled also seem easy to access without having to set up spreadsheets and compile data.
Read Peggy Steffens's full review
Darcy Knapp, MBA profile photo
BigCommerce facilitates our ecommerce store. We retail a full line of automotive key control products and have been selling online for appx 9 years. We switched to BigCommerce to get more versatility and better optimization for our product line. We also build, manage and optimize BigCommerce stores for clients.
  • Fast load time of site platform on all devices
  • Easy Inventory Management
  • New Variations tools are much faster for data loading
  • Fully accessible meta data for categories, inventory, pages and posts for optimization
  • Convenient built in blog for adding content
  • Platform is easy to train on, we use webex to train clients on their back end management of their stores
  • Multiple Payment options encourage more sales
  • Amazon integration, Google Shopping integration, eBay integration
  • Need to be able to add tracking information to customer order
  • Would like shipping alert to be editable to include tracking number
  • Need more of a WIZWIG editor or theme options that do not require coding, most clients cannot handle the areas of the platform that require html skills to edit
Great for start up or established ecommerce business. For the same price as basic Shopify store you get a full featured store with BigCommerce. We also build a lot of WordPress stores for startups, most migrate to BigCommerce as their revenues grow. For small stores 1-4 products, a Wordpress starting point is more affordable (free ecomm plugins) but when you are ready to make your store a business, you need a full functioning store with the capabilities to integrate with 3rd party shipping and selling platforms.
Read Darcy Knapp, MBA's full review
brenda wilson profile photo
We selected BigCommerce as our e-commerce platform to launch our online retail boutique. It serves are our interface between our customers and our products. We use it to manage our business on the back end as well: tracking inventory, managing orders, issuing refunds, etc. The BigCommerce platform is ideal for us as it has so many built-in tools to help with our business.
  • Very detailed product description options allows us to showcase our products one-by-one. The multiple options to customize how you can showcase your product is extremely helpful.
  • The back-end user home page is the "control center" for managing all incoming orders. It has numerous ways to interact with your orders and communicate with your customers.
  • The back-end "control center" allows you to manage your products by category, brand, color, etc. When you have 1000's of products, trying to find it without "professional" skus can be challenging. BC allows you to search with just words.
  • When I add new inventory to a particular product, how do I then know what I started with originally? I don't know how many of a particular product I sold if I re-order and then "up" the inventory.
  • I find it impossible to do my taxes in a simple, streamlined way. I don't actually know the COGS or the profit at the end of the year.
We find BigCommerce to be the ideal e-commerce platform for our business. When we were researching suitable solutions, BigCommerce ticked all our boxes. We haven't had a single problem that couldn't be addressed by their amazing internal support team. We are a small business but BigCommerce can very easily grow with us. The platform is amazing in how easy it is to learn. And, if you can't figure it out, just chat with their team online and they will show you exactly how to do something.
Read brenda wilson's full review
Matthew Walker profile photo
I use BigCommerce to run my daily selling operations across three channels and is the main platform for my business. The integrations and support have proven to be a great resource in growing and maintaining my business. It has helped me get over the intimidating prospect of building and maintaining a website.
  • Their customer support is excellent. They always have an answer to any technical issues I experience.
  • Integrating sales channels like eBay and Amazon was easy and you can manage them right from your BigCommerce dashboard.
  • They offer a variety of website templates that can meet most eCommerce website needs.
  • The admin dashboard is pretty advanced for someone who has never had experience operating an eCommerce platform.
  • Certain templates don't work with payment gateways.
  • Monthly prices seem a little high for limited features.
For the well-seasoned online seller, BigCommerce offers the tools and apps necessary to be successful. Payment gateway integration is easy and BigCommerce doesn't charge additional fees like other platforms. They have a number of free apps that can take care of sales tax for you as well as discounted merchant rates. For the experienced seller looking to for a platform that doesn't nickel and dime everything you do, it's the perfect platform. For the inexperienced "hobby" seller, it will be a bit of a challenge learning the ins and outs of BigCommerce.
Read Matthew Walker's full review
Asher Hoffman profile photo
BigCommerce is used by our company to manage our wholesale side of the business. We utilize the system from start to finish (order placing to fulfillment). It does a great job of segmenting out the different types of wholesale customers using the customer groups option. This addressed the problem of managing different types of pricing variations as well as other factors we can now customize depending on the customer group.
  • Easy store builder that allows you to create simple and clean online marketplaces.
  • Great analytics and reporting features.
  • Tech support is mostly helpful and I'm very happy with the option for live chat.
  • In the Orders page, it would be great to sort by customer group.
  • I'd like to see the ability to add "ship by" or "deliver by" date option for those not wanting immediate shipments or deliveries.
  • Daily or weekly automatic reports that can be customized and scheduled.
For small to medium-sized businesses, BigCommerce is a great solution to so many problems. It allows for scalable growth and features incredible customizability. It was exactly what our company needed when we outgrew our previous method for managing wholesale clients. I would highly recommend it to my colleagues.
Read Asher Hoffman's full review
Mark Linkhorst profile photo
BigCommerce is our web solution for an e-commerce website. It is the backbone of this operation and has been a huge improvement from Squarespace which was where our shop resided prior to the transition to BigCommerce. At this point, we use BigCommerce and applications associated with it like Shipstation which handles our fulfillment and logistics side of the operation which allows us to quickly pack and ship orders we ship with USPS thru our Stamps.com account that is connected to Shipstation for postage.

Beyond this, we've recently incorporated Eye4Fraud Application which offers services to allow us to process more orders that we may not have accepted without their insurance against fraud on the orders they approve. Having more eyes looking at our transactions for fraud is piece of mind and this application has cut back on the amount of declined orders which led to increased back and forth with customers as to why their transactions failed. International orders were problematic for individuals running their credit card multiple times with money hanging between them and their bank for days until the banks put the declined funds back on the customer's account. It allows us to process more orders we may have otherwise declined.
  • Organization of Orders
  • Organization of Products
  • Easy to use interface that can be changed with different templates and layouts.
  • BigCommerce prices their products on your yearly sales, so they help you with a lower cost if you are small and increase the price as you grow and succeed.
  • BigCommerce has great support that is available most times when you need them via chat almost instantly.
  • I've had an ongoing issue using FireFox as a browser where the Shipstation application will not launch, so I'm forced to use Safari to process the logistical side of things. It's worked out for the better in some ways as I can review other details in Firefox like looking for previous orders from the same customer while working simultaneously with Safari to generate a shipping label. Having better support to help me fix the Firefox issue would be appreciated rather than blaming Firefox for the problem.
  • At one point there were changes made on the backend of BigCommerce that the template we were using no longer supported. BigCommerce engineers helped with the transition however we can't manipulate the (Custom) option sets they created as they don't appear under our options or option sets. This means we have to create new ones ourselves if/when we want to manipulate the fields. So their fix isn't really a total fix, more like a band aid.
  • From time to time the statistics stop working or are delayed, that's really the only ongoing issue which occurs sporadically.
If you are looking for a one-stop-shop for an e-commerce website, then look to BigCommerce for a solution which you can build yourself without knowing how to code. You may need to copy and paste some scripts to get bells and whistles incorporated into your website and if you can't figure it out yourself, the BigCommerce support team is right there to help you via chat whenever you need them. If you have a super small shop with only a few items, BigCommerce may be overkill but if you plan to grow your product offerings, then it may be worth considering.
Read Mark Linkhorst's full review
Stephen Oostdyk profile photo
We are a small business which sells our niche products exclusively online. We use BigCommerce (BC) as our web hosting service. Our BC page integrates with our shipping utility as well so orders are easily processed and shipped. BC is used across our whole organization. We don't really have departments. We're so small that almost everything is handled by me. Using BC has addressed problems with SEO that we've had prior to using BC. It has helped the shipping process run much more smoothly and efficiently. BC has provided what I think are nice-looking web page templates that help welcome visitors and make it easier for them to order. I am not a web developer, so with BC, I've been able to accomplish what I set out to do, with flexibility to user-friendly modification selections.
  • BigCommerce offers a wide variety of page theme templates which look nice. This makes our small business have a professional looking online presence without requiring me to be a web developer.
  • BigCommerce offers a variety of apps that are created by other companies that can be easily added and integrated on our page. For example, ShipStation which when you install, configures correctly with my page without a ton of configuration on my side. This saves time and helps me accomplish my goals of being able to ship efficiently.
  • BigCommerce has some behind-the-scenes magic that has helped my page rank to the top on Google and other search engines, without my having to do very much at all. I don't have to pay for SEO services.
  • There are some limitations to the theme templates as to what can be changed. For example, I want my Categories menu, which appears as a sidebar for desktop customers, to display at the bottom of the page for mobile customers. There's not an option for that in the template I'm using. I can probably do it by making customization to the code, but, I am not a web developer and I don't know how to do that. Mobile customers don't see it unless they somehow magically know they have to touch the button in the top left corner. I will need to create a Categories page that mobile customers can see by touching on the welcome carousel.
  • The products consistently appear too large for my tastes, in particular, on tablets. One product image takes up almost the whole screen on a tablet. The user will magically have to know that they need to scroll down to add to cart or to view the description of the product. This kind of drives me nuts.
  • The Search function, for me, is useless, and I might even say in many cases it returns the wrong products based on what my customers are searching for. There is little to no options for configuring it to select exact or phrase match results only, or, to only return results based on the product descriptions and not names of categories or pages on my site that mentions a particular word. I wish I could control exactly what it would look for. There are search apps but none of them work well for my site. Just yesterday I learned how to remove the Search completely, which is what I did successfully.
  • There is a Bulk Edit feature where you can edit multiple items at once, such as product names or prices, but it is limited. I often do have to drill in and out of each product when I make universal updates, which can take a long time.
  • I wish it had much greater flexibility for options in the checkout process. It's kind of clunky and slow in my opinion. I haven't found an app that I could use to replace the checkout module. I think it may partially depend on the template you use. I'd like my customer to have the option of buying now, to begin checking out rather than having to go to cart first.
I think BigCommerce is well suited for a small business selling products on their web page. It's well suited for individuals like me who have little web development ability. It doesn't give complete flexibility and options, but it's definitely a good start to help you accomplish the most important basic goals.
Read Stephen Oostdyk's full review
Jack Bendrihem profile photo
We use Big Commerce to sell our broad range of customer print products that are primarily paper-based; brochures, posters, postcards, etc. We use it as an extension of our business, and it is not our primary income generator. The biggest advantage of having BigCommerce is that when customers need pricing on a range of various products, we simply direct them to our site. For example, if a customer needs a brochure/pamphlet printed and they require folding, the system will illustrate the fold based on their choice. It's very cool.
  • Their live chat help is very, well, HELPFUL. They simply DO NOT re-direct us to an FAQ page....they help us solve problems. And if by chance they cannot help, then they escalate the issue to those with more technical savvy. By helping us, they are also helping themselves. Our problems are their opportunities for improvement.
  • Sometimes it is too difficult and too time-consuming to resolve an issue over chat. It's also frustrating. At some point during an arduous chat, the operator should offer up the option to discuss over the phone.
  • BigCommerce gives us a wonderful platform by which we can offer our products, and that's all good and fine, but reaching a market is another task in itself. They have gained my trust as a loyal customer, and it would be great if they could also help my business grow by offering SEO/marketing services.
BigCommerce is well suited for those selling products, but a bit more difficult when it comes to companies like mine that are trying to sell printing.
Read Jack Bendrihem's full review
Carlos Chanlatte profile photo
BigCommerce is currently being used to handle our entire eCommerce platform; therefore, our entire company utilizes this service throughout our organization. As a product/service, BigCommerce allows us to handle the eCommerce aspects of our business with a simple and effective solution. BigCommerce also allows us to easily expand our operation whenever needed with many available integration options.
  • Speed of eCommerce site
  • Amount of third-party integration options
  • Pricing could be more competitive
  • Some third-party integrations do not work as well as expected (could party be due to third-party developer)
BigCommerce should truly fit almost all businesses that are looking to implement an eCommerce solution. I would highly recommend it for anyone that is looking for an alternative to WordPress/Woocommerce, since that solutions always seems to fall far behind in regards to site speed when compared to BigCommerce. BigCommerce is also a great solution for anyone looking to manage their eCommerce solution with a very user-friendly interface.

There are some instances in which solutions such as Shopify may be better when factoring in the cost of the solution. BigCommerce does offer some great plans; however, there are instances in which you have to upgrade to a higher plan if you just want one small feature that the other plan offers since there is no option to add individual features a la carte.
Read Carlos Chanlatte's full review
David Mason profile photo
BigCommerce is our eCommerce platform. We migrated to there from our own proprietary platform after realizing how much easier it was to work with a third party system than trying to maintain our own in-house system. It is our only eCommerce platform, and we use it for all of our websites.
  • Product importing.
  • Strong basic features.
  • Third-party integrations.
  • I'd love to have faceted search on the lower level plans.
  • There's not a huge ability to create custom functionality.
  • I can't share catalogs across multiple sites.
It's great if you're looking for an out of the box system for a decent-sized catalog that does not require much custom functionality.
If you have a tiny catalog and a lot of non-ecommerce aspects of your site, Wordpress might be better. If you need a ton of customization, you might need to run your own platform or use an open source platform you can customize.
Read David Mason's full review
Sandi Keller profile photo
BigCommerce is our Store and since connecting to Klayvio our CRM too. We use our BC site for retail and for our dealers to log in and purchase, which BC does quite well with its ability to create Customer Groups with different levels of site access and pricing. BC addresses the problem from a customer service stand point of being able to keep things in one place and keep tract of notes per order both that the customer can see and private ones that they can't. I also utilize built-in merchant services with the Braintree service. I spent 4 years with another platform and had our own merchant services and I can say, much fewer headaches with the BC system of things and added bonus is the cost isn't really anymore either. I am a 1 woman show from the product design, website updates, marketing all the way thru customer service, so I greatly appreciate the BC platform for being able to keep things as contained as possible, from time to money management its a huge help.
  • Template design: Defiantly in the last 2 years has gotten much better and on par with any other platform out there. They have introduced some really great templates that now have flair and style and go beyond the "Cart" vibe. We are a unique brand and always appreciate being able to make a template our own and get our values and vibe across from the moment you land on our store.
  • Customer Service: I have tried other platforms and when it comes to customer service, BC is the best I've seen! Quite often I have to work on the website during the night and appreciate the 24/7 chat availability of support when I have a question or am just not finding the answer in the help area (which really has happened and been feeling stupid after). They are always knowledgeable and very friendly, their customer service alone makes up for the few things I wish BC had.
  • App and widget ease: Almost anywhere there might be an industry-specific detail needed, there is an app or widget for it that is easy to install right from the admin panel of BC. Most are quite affordable or free. The biggest one we use is Klayvio for our email marketing, funnel and flows perfectly with the BC system for CRM too.
  • Bulk Edit: The bulk edit feature really isn't much of a bulk edit, to be honest. The only things you can really change are the sale price and maybe inventory qty. A platform we were on before we used the bulk edit all the time because it was so perfect. Some real time saving adds to it would be: The ability to turn free shipping on and off/The ability to change all the pricing including MSRP/The ability to update the "availability" text/The ability to change the bin picking number, sort order, featured and visible.
  • Coupon Codes: I wish there was an easier way to work with the coupon codes. The ability to sort or search them would be hugely helpful.
I have had quite a few of my industry friends come over to BC on my recommendation and, in fact, I'm currently helping one in the set up of their first website/store. I did research other platforms for her to be able to show her why BC was the best option, the most value and also added that for her not having any website experience it would be the easiest for her to maintain herself. That has been a huge selling point I have made to others when it comes to BC—the fact they can now maintain it themselves over having to pay someone a hundred bucks every time they want to make a change and having to wait for that person to get around to doing it. They can make changes quickly and on the fly as needed themselves and better market themselves because of it.
Read Sandi Keller's full review
Anne M Bracker profile photo
BigCommerce handles all of our eCommerce needs. We've been using it for almost 2 years and it seems like I continue to find new and better ways to do something my old website struggled with. We're a small company, so I'm the primary backend user, but we have hundreds of customers who use the website to place orders as well as get pricing for purchase orders issued by their school or company.
  • Answers to BigCommerce questions are only a chat or phone call away. I've received excellent customer service whenever I reach out.
  • Integration with extensions (or apps) that extend the functionality of your site. For example, we implemented ShipperHQ from the start. The standard shipping built into BigCommerce is good, but we needed the ability to offer deliveries in our own truck and freight deliveries in addition to the standard UPS and USPS shipping options. ShipperHQ works seamlessly with BigCommerce to provide those specialized services.
  • I use AvaTax for sales tax solutions. I don't know if this is a BigCommerce issue or an AvaTax issue. Since we're a brick-and-mortar store who offers a website, we need to be able to tie sales tax calculation to the location of the sale. That means if a customer comes to our store to pick up an order, they are charged our local sales tax. If a customer prefers to get the order shipped to them, then the sales tax rate at their location needs to be charged. This is something where selecting "pick up at store" should override the shipping address the customer entered for themselves, but there hasn't been a good solution yet.
  • I'd like more options for coupons/promotions/marketing. For example, it'd be nice to have a promotion that says if you spend $250 during December, or buy a certain high dollar item, you get a coupon code for 10% off or $50 off to use in January. This would encourage repeat business.
It's a great eCommerce platform that can grow with your business. I've recommended it to friendly competitors, some of our vendors, and even customers (artists who make pottery for sale).
Read Anne M Bracker's full review
John Schiff profile photo
BigCommerce is one of a number of e-commerce revenue channels we pursue. Our organization is e-commerce based so BigCommerce is one element of that. Our products are primarily one-of-kind legacy technology pieces, such as laboratory equipment and, discontinued industrial spare parts. These ‘long-tail’ items require exposure through many different sales channels. BigCommerce provides us the platform for one of those channels.
  • SEO
  • Plugins
  • CSV imports
  • In-depth support with our IT person: sometimes it appears to border on condensation. Not good. Not professional.
  • We can’t get the Wordpress API to work. Appears that there’s not much real support behind it for small businesses. Disappointing since you’re flogging it as a real solution.
  • Shopify is going to eat your lunch if you don’t continually add value to your customers. I haven’t seen any real big changes to the platform in all the years we’ve been using it. You better wake up. I’m not the only one that’s looking at them.
Good for mature e-commerce businesses looking for a hosted platform.
Read John Schiff's full review
Dana Marie Bontrager profile photo
BigCommerce is used to bring our products to the world. Its ease of use allows up to keep up to date with product offerings. The integration with other platforms is quite seamless.
  • Staying on top of updates and changes.
  • Customer service and help are quick and efficient.
  • Constantly improving their platform.
  • Listening to end-users to improve.
  • Cart level discounts are a bit clunky and overlap with other sales.
  • Setting up products can be tedious.
  • No ability to sell in increments other that 1-2-3 (no decimal place availability).
Fairly easy to use and robust. Not great if you sell increments (like fabrics where a consumer will want to order 1.5 yards).
Read Dana Marie Bontrager's full review
Mark Hughey profile photo
Our company uses BigCommerce as the host/shopping cart for one of our websites, makeyourown.buzz, offering unique products like organic butter, oils, specialty ingredients to companies of all sizes, and to end-user consumers.
We have been on the BigCommerce platform for about 4 years.
The site we have hosted on BigCommerce was relatively easy to set up and has been easy to maintain too.
One huge benefit of BigCommerce, compared to other carts we looked at, has been the 24-7 customer support. We have called, chatted and emailed their team (really OUR TEAM) at BigCommerce at all times of the day and night, and I do not think there has ever been a problem they did not help us solve.
Although they do not offer every little feature we want on a website, they do have developer partners that are there to help when we need them.
We have been very pleased with our BigCommerce store, and when we develop a new store it is very likely it will be with them.
  • Help with transitioning to them from another cart - when we brought our SKUs over to the Bigcommerce cart they took care of us. It was an easy process and together we got it done quickly and were up and running in a short time.
  • Customer service- We have called, and chatted and emails at all times of the day and night, and have been available. This is a BIG help, especially since no one at our company is a web developer.
  • Easy to use - The dashboard/interface of Bigcommerce is pretty intuitive and easy to learn and easy to use.
  • User management: One BIG snafu with Bigcommerce is the lack of a good user management interface system. It is impossible to set up a user and have the new user at a permission level to get a lot of stuff done as far as back end programming without the owner having to get involved. Most of the time the store owner ends up having to give a developer their username and password to get done what needs to get done, which in reality makes the whole system LESS SECURE, not more secure. They really need to get this solved.
  • Frontpage customization- unless you are a computer programmer, it can be a little difficult to get exactly what you are looking for on the home page. This may be the case of many carts, as a lot of this is the theme developer. I think Bigcommerce should make the developers of the themes make them easier to customize.
  • Cart customization: Our second biggest struggle with Bigcommerce (FIRST BEING USER ACCESS / MANAGEMENT) is the ability to add more customization at the end of the shopping experience for the customer, the shopping cart. For example, the Cart discounts are a great idea but the interface on the customer side needs to be able to just have the customer hit an "Add to Cart " button instead of going back to the page of the product to use the discount. Also, we need some better interface with the customers on details about payments and shipping.
If you are looking for a cart/ platform that you can get up and running with, for the most part, minimal trouble, and get a lot of reliability, check out BigCommerce. The platform stable, easy to use, and has most of the features needed to have an excellent looking website, as well as one with all the functionality needed to get customers in and checking out and creating revenue.
If you are trying to create a very customized site, with very specific check out functionality that needs to be highly customized, I still think a BigCommerce store is probably the way to go, but you may need to get outside development done and be sure to check out the developer partner site and get some quotes before you make your decision.
Read Mark Hughey's full review
Bill Heyman profile photo
BigCommerce provides us with our online shopping platform. I am both the owner/CEO and Webmaster. We've been on the web since the beginning and moving to BigCommerce was the best decision we ever made.
  • Technical online excellence with 99.9999% uptime.
  • Platform structure that makes it easy to run my business - and not the website!
  • When first starting, Options and Option Sets were confusing but now I've mastered that with the help of tech support in Austin.
Having been on the web since the beginning, doing all of my own codings, I find that my hands-on background served me well so that I now use the extensive and sophisticated structure offered by BigCommerce and am able to customize it to suit my needs.
Read Bill Heyman's full review
Jeanna Haag profile photo
We are using BigCommerce to launch our new website. Our current website is out of date and we like the framework of BigCommerce. The website is a much needed asset for our company and we are working to get more of our customers using the new website. We will be marketing it once we launch the website in January.
  • It is easy to customize the templates provided as long as you know CSS and HTML. I've done a lot of customization for our website to really help it stand out.
  • BigCommerce offers a lot of things that are considered add-ons on places like Shopify where you have to pay extra for them.
  • The main thing that I know many people including myself have asked for are one time art charges as an option.
  • At first it seemed like there were not many apps, but more are being added. I would suggest to continue to add more in the future.
I think BigCommerce can easily work for any company wanting to sell products. Not only are there several options built into it, but you can also get apps for anything not already available. There are also partners who can do custom coding for you for an additional fee and the boards are a great place to get answers.
Read Jeanna Haag's full review
Charles Luley profile photo
There are certain products in our mix that lend themselves to online selling. So we created an online store specifically for those products since the purchasing decisions are often made outside our call pattern. We started with another well-known online host over two years ago, however, they did not understand our industry and posed limitations on what we could list. BigCommerce has made it easy for us to properly list our products, provides an excellent app for our eBay gateway, and provides an excellent, seamless shipping application. The help chat is very good, and they are able to resolve all issues that I may have.
  • Communicates with users via monthly webinars with updates and future plans.
  • Flexible options for product, order and customer listings as well as for checkout and payments.
  • Need a more robust product quote app selection for customers to request a product quote from the product listing. Also needs to provide the option of the user to create a separate product quote to the customer.
  • The product bulk editor is great, however, it would be nice to have a pull-down menu that is populated with additional editing solutions.
I have already recommended BigCommerce to colleagues. It is well suited for small businesses as well as large businesses. The theme selections are good (I use the BigCommerce Cornerstone theme) and allow for very creative designs. For me, the BigCommerce Shipping app is very useful as it automatically integrates all orders, prints the labels, allows for shipper selection and automatically notifies the customer of tracking information. I cannot think of a scenario where BigCommerce would not be appropriate.
Read Charles Luley's full review
Timothy Breen profile photo
BigCommerce is being used across the entire company. We have built an online retail storefront using BigCommerce and the Venture Warm theme. It made it easy for us to create an online store, process credit cards online, manage inventory, connect with Google's Shopping campaigns, and connect with Amazon. I am very happy with the functionality that BigCommerce provides.
  • BigCommerce's user-friendly software makes it very easy to build an online storefront.
  • BigCommerce makes it very easy to process credit cards online through PayPal's Braintree interface.
  • I am disappointed with the Venture Warm storefront theme. I was recently trying to figure out how to change the main image based on the color option a customer chooses. I was told that the theme doesn't have that functionality. Instead, customers have to click on a box that says "preview variant" which is an awkward extra step.
  • Would like more options to customize my storefront's appearance without having to write the HTML myself. For example, changing the logo size on my storefront is difficult with the limited options given through the theme.
I think BigCommerce is an excellent tool for online retailers of consumer products. I don't see that it would be as beneficial to sellers of online services or B2B businesses, but I could be wrong. The functionality seems to be designed for online retailers of tangible products.
Read Timothy Breen's full review
R. Robin Esterhammer profile photo
I use BigCommerce for our online store where we sell mainly CDs and film posters, as well as other entertainment memorabilia. I am the only user who does everything from design to shipping (it's a small company). I love how easy it is to put in new products, sort them, get paid, and ship them. BigCommerce is the easiest online store program I have ever used.
  • Listing products: easy and fast.
  • Receiving payment: safe, secure and effortless.
  • Giving partial payment refunds doesn't always work (sending refund via Paypal, not giving store credit).
  • I never get notified when someone leaves a notification with their order. Why is that?
Shipping orders is very easy and fun because it can be done so effortlessly. Everything is on one page and I can do anything from printing a packing slip to refunding some or all of the money.
Read R. Robin Esterhammer's full review
Huntz Colburn profile photo
We use it as platform of choice for our clients.
  • Product feeds and marketing
  • Managing large catalogs for import export
  • Managing complex designs easily without developers
  • Nuances with product uploads and options sets
Great for medium businesses that are starting to breakout and need a robust platform to scale marketing and revenue without large development costs.
Read Huntz Colburn's full review
Merritt Hansen profile photo
BigCommerce hosts my e-commerce website. It is used primarily by the sales department. BigCommerce allows me to host a customized e-commerce website with thousands of auto parts for a reasonable price. I chose it because they offered easy importing and exporting of products via a CSV file.
  • Handles large numbers of products very well. I have over 10,000 individual SKUs in my store.
  • They charge by sales volume. I have a large catalog but low sales volume so this works well for me.
  • Integrate a Google Shopping feed tool. I use Sales and Orders to feed my products to Google now but it is not very good and does not include all BigCommerce fields.
  • Add search by SKU number exact match in the product area.
  • Add ability to customize search behavior in the website header search tool, such as exact matches, AND, OR, etc.
If you have a large existing product catalog to import, BigCommerce can get you up and running VERY quickly.

If you need a very large amount of customization of your website, BigCommerce is not for you. Their framework is great, but not every part has the ability to change.
Read Merritt Hansen's full review
Mary Collins profile photo
BigCommerce hosts the company's main e-commerce website. It is used across the whole organization. It is the main sales platform.
  • BigCommerce is easy to set up and use.
  • BigCommerce has excellent customer support.
  • BigCommerce integrates well with many apps.
  • BigCommerce offers many payment options.
  • BigCommerce integrates well with other sales channels.
  • I have issues with the blog commenting and page commenting that have never been resolved. I'd like to see that done better. That's my biggest complaint.
  • Analytics are a little creaky. It's a little hard to access and interpret some statistics, and I don't find the admin interface to it particularly easy to view/use.
  • Having my business email hosted at Big Commerce would be a really nice addition.
  • Being able to do all my accounting through BC would be great too, so I wouldn't have to pay for additional software to handle my business.
  • Tpet.com products are mostly downloads and it works really well for that—for individual kinds of downloads and making bundles. It's excellent. It works well for shipped products, too.
  • Tpet offers backup CDs or printed copy options for the downloadable products, which makes a mixed product. There's no way to charge shipping on the shippable portion of the mixed product, so free shipping for that is the only way to handle it that I know of. It would be great if there were a mixed product option for items or bundles that are both downloadable and shippable.
  • File uploading (via DAV) and file management could be better; I sometimes have a problem getting files where I want them to be and seeing where they are with Cyberduck.
Read Mary Collins's full review
Kevin Nicusanti profile photo
BigCommerce hosts e-commerce for my website, venttabs.com. It also serves as the diagnostic tool and provides metrics on web sales/customer service performance. It also provides a blog vehicle and a link to social media services. BC provides technical assistance on an as-needed basis, including technical performance issues, some SEO advice but, limited.
  • Presentation of the website and brand
  • Easy to read metrics/analytics
  • Easy to change product pages
  • Easy to change pricing changes
  • Page load speed issues , costing my business huge decrease in conversion rates Q4-19.
  • Very inconsistent technical service at level 1 , sometimes expert sometimes just reading me web site answers in FAQ style.
  • Very difficult to manage templates.
  • Most small changes require html developer which adds significant costs.
  • Unaware of ability to downgrade service after severe fall off in volume, increased cost $170/month since early 2019.
Seems to perform the function as an e-commerce host. Poor/inappropriate service in most technical issues.
Read Kevin Nicusanti's full review
Kari Docekal profile photo
BigCommerce is being used as our online selling tool across our organization. It syncs to our Amber POS system, making inventory control easy. We have been a brick & mortar store for years and just launched our site with BigCommerce a week ago, finally making our products visible to the online audience.
  • Connectivity! BigCommerce has a variety of partner apps that work together seamlessly. They really do a great job with integration.
  • Simplicity! I am new to building a website and could not be happier with the amount of instruction given on how to complete all sorts of tasks. I love the WYSIWYG editors, constantly ensuring that my listing and emails appear exactly as I expect them to.
  • Info! BigCommerce does a remarkable job at providing endless sources of support. There are documents and step by step instructions for virtually any feature available!
  • Live Chat! BigCommerce offers a 24/7 live chat feature where support reps can help you to diagnose and fix any number of technical issues that may happen. They are knowledgeable, patient, and friendly!
  • Transparency. BigCommerce has great connectivity and integrations, but connectivity with my Amber POS leaves me with many hiccups. I think BigCommerce should look into their 3rd party integrations and make sure to let customers know which features don't sync. I have two stores, but the connectivity between Amber and BigCommerce pools my two store's inventory into one inventory number causing some confusion as to which store to pull the item from, etc. I realize this has more to do with Amber POS than BigCommerce, but if I knew to connectivity was so limited, I might have looked for a different program.
  • Training/Idea Sharing. BigCommerce reps on live chat are mostly very helpful. I have had an instance where a rep had no solution for my problem and recommended I get IT help, only for me to talk to another rep and get a fix for my issue within 5 minutes. Maybe some sort of database where reps can type in a brief description of the problem encountered and the fix found, that way if another rep encounters that issue, he/she will have some known fixes to try.
I think BigCommerce is especially well suited for those selling an item with choosable features (color, size, etc). It handles these listings easily and makes everything run smooth for both customer and company. I think it is less suited to companies that offer VIP rewards to their customers, if these rewards are based upon anything other than a % or $ off per order. We have a structure where customers can receive discounts to purchase items at a certain % above cost, I have not found a way to build our rewards system within the program yet.
Read Kari Docekal's full review

Product catalog & listings (320)
Product management (317)
Bulk product upload (237)
Branding (278)
Mobile storefront (310)
Product variations (302)
Website integration (263)
Visual customization (313)
CMS (223)
Abandoned cart recovery (289)
Checkout user experience (310)
eCommerce security (310)
9.4
Promotions & discounts (294)
Personalized recommendations (240)
SEO (289)
Multi-site management (137)
Order processing (302)
Inventory management (263)
Shipping (267)
Custom functionality (267)

About BigCommerce

According to the vendor, BigCommerce is one of the leading cloud ecommerce platforms for established and rapidly-growing businesses. Combining enterprise functionality, an open architecture and app ecosystem, and market-leading performance, BigCommerce aims to help businesses to grow online sales with less cost, time, and complexity than on-premise software. BigCommerce powers B2B and B2C ecommerce for more than 60,000 brands, 2,000+ mid-market businesses, 30 Fortune 1000 companies, and industry-leading brands, including Assurant, Ben & Jerry’s, Paul Mitchell, Skullcandy, Sony, and Toyota.

The vendor says that the product provides the following benefits to customers:

Customize and innovate at a lower total cost of ownership
Build in HTML, CSS, and Javascript
96% of brands relaunch in 2-4 months
Test and push changes without downtime in a local environment

Focus on generating sales, less on monitoring security & performance
PCI DSS 3.2 certified at Level 1
99.99% median uptime
Multiple layers of security through the Google Cloud Platform

Leverage your existing tech stack with flexible APIs
90% of platform data is exposed to APIs
400+ API calls per second
Headless commerce out-of-the-box, across any front-end

Solve your toughest challenges with SaaS
B2B, Wholesale