Big Big BigCommerce

Our take

Scalability and Versatility

Feature Rich, but Quite Expensive

BigCommerce helped us build pages and display our products on the web easily. It builds a website very quickly and easily.

Product catalog & listings (391)

Product management (388)

Plus

per month*

Pro

per month*

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.bigcommerce.com/essentials/…

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $29.95 per month

Online Storefront

Online Shopping Cart

Online Payment System

eCommerce Marketing

eCommerce Business Management

What is BigCommerce?

According to the vendor, BigCommerce is one of the leading cloud ecommerce platforms for established and rapidly-growing businesses. Combining enterprise functionality, an open architecture and app ecosystem, and market-leading performance, BigCommerce aims to help businesses to grow online sales with less cost, time, and complexity than on-premise software. BigCommerce powers B2B and B2C ecommerce for more than 60,000 brands, 2,000+ mid-market businesses, 30 Fortune 1000 companies, and industry-leading brands, including Assurant, Ben & Jerry’s, Paul Mitchell, Skullcandy, Sony, and Toyota.

The vendor says that the product provides the following benefits to customers:

Customize and innovate at a lower total cost of ownership
Build in HTML, CSS, and Javascript
96% of brands relaunch in 2-4 months
Test and push changes without downtime in a local environment

Focus on generating sales, less on monitoring security & performance
PCI DSS 3.2 certified at Level 1
99.99% median uptime
Multiple layers of security through the Google Cloud Platform

Leverage your existing tech stack with flexible APIs
90% of platform data is exposed to APIs
400+ API calls per second
Headless commerce out-of-the-box, across any front-end

Solve your toughest challenges with SaaS
B2B, Wholesale

• Supported: Inventory management
  • Supported: Accounting
  • Supported: Shipping
  • Supported: Custom functionality

• Supported: High Availability (HA) infrastructure that allows us to deliver 99.99% uptime
  • Supported: Open Platform: 90% of the BigCommerce platform data is exposed to the API
  • Supported: Server-to-server API functions enable a headless commerce on WordPress and more
  • Supported: Develop, test and push changes without downtime in a local environment using the Stencil CLI tool.
  • Supported: Omnichannel management (Amazon, Ebay, Facebook, Instagram, POS)
  • Supported: Global CDN, localized payments and multi-language support

BigCommerce Screenshots

Enterprise ecommerce for high-volume brands like Skullcandy.Our industry-leading integration will let you list your products on Amazon directly from the BigCommerce control panel, with centralized inventory and order processing and fulfillment.Easily customize the look and feel of your storefront.

BigCommerce Videos

Create differentiated commerce experiences on the industry’s most versatile enterprise solution.
BigCommerce Company Values
Scale your business with WordPress on the front-end and free up server resources from things like catalog management, processing payments, and managing fulfillment logistics, with BigCommerce on the back end.
After growing her company to $500K in sales through this Google document, Revelry founder Michelle DeLoach realized she needed a scalable ecommerce platform to take her business to the next level.

BigCommerce Downloadables

BigCommerce Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Mobile Web

Alternatives

What is BigCommerce?

BigCommerce is a SaaS platform that allows SMBs to develop eCommerce sites. Features include the capabilities to design the storefront, configure products, manage payments, generate traffic, and optimize conversion.

How much does BigCommerce cost?

BigCommerce starts at $29.95.

What is BigCommerce's best feature?

Reviewers rate eCommerce security highest, with a score of 8.3.

Who uses BigCommerce?

The most common users of BigCommerce are from Small Businesses and the Retail industry.

Ghanshyam Thumar | TrustRadius Reviewer
[Depending] on client budget and product we are helping client to choose Ecommerce platform and [especially] for BigCommerce we made a checklist for our customer why BigCommerce is really good for selling online any products in the world.
  • Less fees per transaction[.]
  • Well organize admin[.]
  • Without code knows client can build ecommerce store[.]
  • Many inbuilt payment method supported[.]
  • Need to implement Inbuilt drop shipping
  • Automated abandoned cart[.]
  • Automated email report[.]
  • Product custom field[.]
As per client [requirements], they wanted to make a [subscription-based] website with API data so [the first] client's recommended Shopify but after done [research,] we found BigCommerce which [provides] edit code easily with API get and post data and set customer subscription on third party admin.
BigCommerce [provides] easy to edit and [manage the store] for anyone who has no technical knowledge. Easy to [manage] products, orders, Customers, Shipping, Payments, etc... [inbuilt] blog features, Abandoned cart, Product Reviews, Advanced reporting tools[.]
Open API which [helps to connect] third part data with BigCommerce. [It really helps] to [manage] all data with single admin like needs to managed order, products with Amazon, [eBay], any payment or shipping services, Automated data processing, etc...
I utilize [BigCommerce] for my online sales. I have a small hand-crafting business and BigCommerce has helped me to grow [my] online presence.
  • They have fantastic customer service - anytime I have any questions, I can count on answers!
  • I love the user-friendly templates that they offer so that I can have a professional store, without paying somebody to do the online aspect for me.
  • The value I get for my monthly rate is excellent.
  • I don't understand meta tags, etc., and wish that there [was] better information to help me hurdle that.
  • I wish I could see what I am putting forth before I publish it, instead of publishing it and then realizing that something looks odd.
I do a lot of vendor shows (except since Covid-19 caused many changes to those venues), and have interactions with others that are small crafting types of business, and I have definitely recommended BigCommerce to many people who are trying to build up their small businesses.
Well, honestly I haven't gotten to a point where I really need to scale up my BigCommerce store to a higher level, but I can see that there are some features that I hope to be able to afford to scale up to in the very near future.
Well, I'm not sure I know exactly what an API is, but if I understand it enough, then I utilize several other apps that integrate with my BigCommerce store, such as Mail Chimp and Quickbooks, which makes a lot of things so much easier!
Tony Schwartz | TrustRadius Reviewer
It allowed us to operate on multi-channels. We were small. Here is what BigCommerce was to us: It gave us access to Facebook marketplace, business marketplace, and all social media platforms. For a while, this was special/privileged access BigCommerce negotiated for us. While I do know the total outcome I know we were to have an easy opportunity to apply for Facebook's Business Marketplace. Unlike other competitors, BigCommerce really did offer apps for any circumstance you could think of. The majority of people we dealt with who made their apps were industry leaders. Last I looked BigCommerce was smaller than Shopify and some others. However, this did not limit our options or opportunity. It did allow for some of the best customer service we've had in a long time. We felt like we were much more than just another number. The biggest complaint I remember. Before COVID and some issues, we were looking at working with a personal Magento consultant and interested in creating our own multivendor "mall" (shopping arena) from the ground up. We were interested in a fairly specific niche. Magento really rolled out the welcome mat with their Enterprise solutions. The price tag was well over $30,000 though. I recall when asking questions about enterprise solutions the public-facing associates did not know much about it. BigCommerce is not a consulting firm - noted. But their tech was techy and world-class. But at times felt to me as if reps lacked personal involvement. With other applications or companies when I call, they understand my goals, ask how I am doing, tell me things to buy and what not to purchase. I don't want my BigCommerce rep in a non-enterprise situation too involved. However, they did fell further removed. BC has everything you need and the support to back it up. You can go thin with a few bells and whistles and save money or run through a forest of needed and wanted options for that edge. The worst?... Have you looked at the tutorials? When I looked many were not there or have not been updated for months or longer. So, when you make the right choice and sign up for BigCommerce.
  • Finding industry leaders for us to partner with or work with. These were not people from Fiverr or craigslist. Their apps really were wicked.
  • Easily able to sell on almost all relevant marketplaces. SEO! If you are on an island without a boat, you are stuck. BigCommerce provided the bridge and built the high-speed rail line. SEO is important to us, BigCommerce understands that and made it easy for us. We were not on an island.
  • I am a visual learner. Give me a training class or video. The tutorials were outdated and I needed them.
  • I covered others.
I do not think BigCommerce is a great choice for someone who is not fairly knowledgeable about your company's web presence and everything that is involved. I think compared to other options there is a curve.
We did not.
December 03, 2021

Loving BigCommerce!

Diana Ferrato | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use BigCommerce as my eCommerce platform. I really enjoy how easy the product is to use, and the customer service has always been amazing. I am in no way a web designer or developer or very technical, so when I need help, I know that I can contact them on the live chat and get help every time. I would also like to mention that the cost is very reasonable. I am using the standard version as I am a small business. This version still allows me to publish my products with all the options I need. I literally have zero complaints about BigCommerce, and I do plan to use them for another online store I am working on.
  • Customer service
  • Problem solving
  • Cost
  • Google reviews on the lower plans
  • Affiliate capabilities on the lower plan
  • Product options could be slightly easier
Whenever I have called to help me with my website - I have always had my problem solved. If I was late for a payment, they gave me grace to catch up.
I give a 5 because I am only using it for one site. [I] never tried to use [it] across multiple sites, but I think it's awesome you can.
I am using several different apps on my store, and I really think it's great.
October 18, 2021

A Review of BigCommerce

I use BigCommerce for my e-commerce business. I sell women's apparel, accessories, and home decor items. I like BigCommerce because it is highly customizable right out of the box without the need to install additional apps. I really like the ability to edit and customize every aspect of my website with only a few clicks.
  • BigCommerce is very customizable right out of the box.
  • BigCommerce has great customer service.
  • BigCommerce is affordable.
  • BigCommerce is easy to use.
  • Although BigCommerce is easy to use, I do wish they had more online tutorials.
  • I wish the categories in the admin were configured a little better.
  • I wish the platform integrated with more third-party apps.
I feel BigCommerce is well suited for anyone looking to start an e-commerce business or expand their brick-and-mortar business online. BigCommerce is easy to use, affordable, and you can get a free trial to test it out before you commit. While I feel the ability to customize everything is a great feature, I do feel that some people may find that to be intimidating and overwhelming.
I think BigCommerce's platform is a great way to scale your business. I like the fact that you can connect multiple storefronts to your BigCommerce account and fulfill orders right from your admin. I also like the fact that you can connect multiple third-party websites to your BigCommerce account and expand your reach by utilizing drop shipping.
I am currently using multiple integrations with BigCommerce. I have recently added integrations such as buy now, pay later apps to have a broader reach to my customers. I like the fact that the integrations are easy to set up and are another way to provide great service to my customers. BigCommerce may not have as many app integrations as other platforms, but they do offer many great ones.
Rakesh Prajapati | TrustRadius Reviewer
BigCommerce is the main application we use for our business. We have seen many improvements in the past 10 years, BigCommerce is the [world's] best e-commerce solution.
  • High tech
  • User friendly
  • Best customer support
  • Product image on packing slip
  • Gift message on checkout and able to print on packing slip
  • Change default for selection for "My billing address is the same shipping address"
  • Need to fix report due to multi currency purchase
Overall good, but still need to improve basic stuff. BigCommerce is [an] excellent eCommerce platform.
Front designs need to be improved and flexible for all retailers, as we are an online gifting store we need more flexibility on design.
[Minimal]
December 12, 2021

Big Big BigCommerce

Muhammad Adil Mujeeb | TrustRadius Reviewer
All in one solution for setting up an online store. We are getting problems with our web servers and payment options, but after a thorough search, we have found BigCommerce as a complete solution. Now we don't have to worry about server uptime. We have got an extra feature of drop shipping as well which we are planning for our future venture.
  • Integrated SEO tool.
  • Multiple currency and payment options.
  • Drop shipping.
  • Point of sale option.
  • More free template.
  • Payment options for local vendor.
  • Email marketing.
If you don't want to worry about hosting and web servers, BigCommerce is one of the best options. You can build your store with minimum learning although it has options for tech-savvy gurus as well.
Easy to manage and customize across teams. Configuration is not so hard even for non-technical people.
December 03, 2021

Our take

It is the [backbone] of our website. We needed a new one back in 2014 and a local company helped set up the site. It works well with Webgility to [the interface without] QB POS[.]
  • Great tech support
  • Shipping options to allow for package insurance[.]
  • More ability to separate items for various shipping options[.]
It works for us, and we have no complaints with it or the people at Arc Stone[.]
This has been [a] good back end for our use[.]
Shipping integration. Inventory MGMT[.]
Thomas Pittman | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use BigCommerce to power our online store presence and it's custom integrated with WordPress. It powers all online purchasing, pricing, and backend order fulfillment. We are able to lead our space with the customization options that BigCommerce offers, and its ease of use allows our small marketing team to offer a robust and quality online presence. It’s easy to upload products, maintain and fulfill them properly in addition to doing proper automatic email correspondence such as automated order confirmation emails and more. It's also easy to train the rest of the staff on how to use it and when needed, we have it support to make backend coding changes cost-effectively.
  • Ease of use for maintaining inventory
  • Product optimization and setup
  • Order fulfillment and automated email correspondence
  • Easy to use use interface
  • Extensive customization options
  • Reporting
  • Advanced analytics into store usage without third party software
BigCommerce is well suited for small marketing teams looking to offer a robust online presence for its customers. Its ease of use and cost-effectiveness make it an ideal fit for easy maintenance and quickly launching products to market then maintaining and propel fly fulfilling them. Also ideal for anyone looking to offer an online presence that is integrated with their WordPress backend.
Easily scale implementation and training how to for BigCommerce across websites and teams. Highly customizable and can be integrated with multiple other software[s] for various needs such as WordPress. Cost-effective and easy to get up and run [on] a short amount of time. The front-end editor allows complete control over the inventory fulfillment and customer experience options with minimal support from developers.
We use WordPress open API to integrate with our custom Wordpress backend. The integration was easy for our developers to establish and cost-effective to maintain with minimal issues over thousands of orders.
We use BigCommerce for some of our client's e-commerce web solutions. We chose BigCommerce for its ease of use for the editors adding content and also the feature which allows you to add your own search keywords to products. This was the main reason we chose it over Shopify. Very easy to update and so far our customers love it.
  • Allows custom keywords for products
  • Adding images to variants is very simple for the end user
  • The free templates are excellent and very easy to edit
  • More control over how the homepage displays without having to code
Ease of use and has specific features that none of the other off-the-shelf E-Commerce solutions have. Very easy for the end-user to edit and add new or existing content, plus has a very extensive knowledge base and a good user community [that] has many answers to the questions and problems I've encountered.
Everything we have needed to do has been easy to implement.
We use it out of the box
Our company uses BigCommerce for so many things which include our order processing, order fulfillment, printing labels, creating returns, and where our website is.
  • BigCommerce is pretty easy to use everything that you need is there.
  • The control panel is made for both novice and experienced users you can dive in if needed and also have access to easy to look up things.
  • BigCommerce has a really easy connection to payment gateways especially to their preferred one which is Braintree powered by PayPal.
  • The customer service is really bad [from my experience] which I hate dealing with, creating a pin and calling BigCommerce is a hassle.
  • The fees are very high.
  • Not as popular means it's hard to find developers for BigCommerce and hard to find certain apps.
I like BigCommerce and would tell a colleague to go for BigCommerce and sign up in a different plan than what we did. The enterprise plan is very costly and our website is built on BigCommerce enterprise, meaning if we downgraded our plan we would lose functionality. I would recommend the lower tier plans to a friend and tell them to learn everything as otherwise, BigCommerce has everything you need and pretty ok customer service.
It looks like BigCommerce can be as big or as small as you want it to be, but I would urge people if they are intending to start big to realize that downgrading a plan from an enterprise like what our business did is not possible if your website is built with enterprise plan and features in mind.
We have BigCommerce connected to an outside inventory system via API which controls our Amazon, eBay, Walmart, and Houzz stores and it makes it very easy to access everything such as when a sale is made adjusting the quantity of the order.
The entire organization utilizes BigCommerce. The fulfillment team checks product pricing and inventory, the marketing team publishes blog posts, the customer service team manages customers and we all utilize some of the add-on apps.
  • Fast, quick page load
  • Exceptional uptime
  • Knowledgeable account managers
  • Support team follow through
BigCommerce has plans for businesses of all sizes. Some smaller businesses might find that BigCommerce offers a lot of room to grow. Larger retailers might find that the pricing for higher tiers does not seem economical.
The cost seems high for small businesses and gets slightly better for businesses with higher volumes.
We use a third-party integration service to communicate between suppliers and shipping services.
We are a wine retailer and use BigCommerce for our online sales. We use the BigCommerce API to tightly integrate the BigCommerce platform with our Retail Management System which runs our brick-and-mortar operations. We moved to BigCommerce nearly two years ago to address several needs including a robust API, optimized one-page checkout, site speed, access to integrated apps, an enterprise-level hosted environment, SaaS solution, headless commerce, highly flexible framework that is easy to modify, offloading of PCI compliance, 24/7/365 phone support in addition to email and ticket systems, professional services, solutions architects and a dedicated account manager. After years of owning source code and hosting our own site on our own servers, we were ready to accept the fact that we simply didn't have the internal resources to keep up with the evolving e-commerce landscape. We knew we needed to move to a hosted solution but still needed the flexibility of being able to develop and deploy customized solutions within our site. We looked at everything from Shopify+ to Magento to Oracle Commerce Cloud to BigCommerce. BigCommerce was the runaway winner as it addressed all of our requirements with ease.
  • Incredibly robust API
  • Highly flexible stencil framework
  • Efficient, streamlined one-page checkout
  • Seamless integration with a wealth of third party solutions like SearchSpring, Signifyd, and more.
  • Support for the product at all levels is incredible
  • Ease of use - our customers have adopted to our BigCommerce site more rapidly than any platform we've been on in the past. We've received consistent praise from our Customers about how easy our site is to use since we switched to BigCommerce.
  • Meta field data can only be edited by the API user that originally created the data. Meta field data is the only data where the API applies this restriction and it's a big pain in the butt for us.
  • BigCommerce one-page checkout is amazing but Shopify still has the best single page checkout in the industry. I would love to see BigCommerce catch up with Shopify in this area. BigCommerce smokes Shopify just about everywhere else.
  • Multi-site: we keep hearing that multi-site will be available soon. This is a standard feature of Shopify+ and is a glaring shortcoming of BigCommerce. I know it's being worked on. Let's get that to market soon!
  • I was disappointed to see BigCommerce have made a push into the B2B space with B2B Bundle. Not only is B2B Bundle weak, it's expensive and feels like it was shoehorned into BigCommerce. [In my opinion] its integration is poor. I wish BigCommerce would focus more on getting their multi-site operational than spending precious resources on a half-baked partnership with a marginally functional B2B solution like B2B Bundle.
BigCommerce is a tremendous tool for retail e-commerce but I would not recommend it for B2B. Not yet at least. I would recommend BigCommerce to any e-tailer that doesn't have multi-site requirements. I would recommend BigCommerce to any e-tailer that is marginally tech savvy. For the user who is clueless or the company that doesn't have good technical resources, I would only recommend BigCommerce if the prospect was willing to pay for professional services through an agency or consultant. I think Shopify or SquareSpace do a better job of providing a stupid-simple interface. That's not a knock on BigCommerce. I actually prefer BigCommerce's interface and for all but the most basic of businesses, BigCommerce is the hands-down winner. I think BigCommerce is equally well suited for the wine industry as it is for [the] automotive industry. I know of floral businesses that do tremendously well with the platform. I know of hospital gift shops that use BigCommerce to allow customers to order gifts and have them delivered to patients in the hospital. I know BigCommerce has worked tremendously well for selling sporting goods and even firearms. I guess I would say that I would be less confident that BigCommerce would be a good fit for a service oriented industry that sells services or reservations.
During our busiest sales period when our site was bombarded by traffic and orders, BigCommerce never skipped a beat. I've seen companies at every level of BigCommerce plan do well on the platform.
We use the API to integrate BigCommerce with our Retail Management System which manages our brick-and-mortar. BigCommerce's API is one of the primary reasons we chose BigCommerce for our replatforming. Virtually every aspect of BigCommerce is exposed via an API endpoint. This allows us to do just about anything we want. We keep coming up with new ways to use the API. We recently deployed a Gift Card integration between our brick-and-mortar store and BigCommerce. Now Gift Cards purchased in the store can be used online and vice versa and the balances are synced across both platforms in real-time.
We use BigCommerce as a way to reach customers across the USA. We are using it to offer all our brands to customers. We have other brand-specific websites, but we use BigCommerce to offer our whole [catalog] of products for purchase online. Most of our customers are based out of state so BigCommerce was an easy solution to bridge the gap between our company and our customers.
  • Easy to Setup
  • Nice range of plugin apps available
  • Clean website templates
  • Very good customer support via live chat
  • More Free Templates
  • Cheaper B2B option to be able to offer wholeale pricing to businesses
  • Better built in reviews system
I would have no hesitation to recommend BigCommerce. It is very simple to set up and you can have your products online and [sell] in a very short space of time.
I have not used this feature enough to comment on it.
My experience level is very limited with APIs, but we have found BigCommerce to work with other apps well for example ShipStation and Google shopping.
  • Drag and drop
  • SEO
  • Very easy to do promotions on the web
  • Quite expensive
  • Limited online sales
  • The free templates are not flexible enough to make changes.
I like how BigCommerce has a drag and drop feature that helps you build pages and websites so quickly. For people who are not technical, this is a great platform to use. However, you also sacrifice some [flexibility]. The free templates look nice, but when you want to customize it even more it gets a little tricky to do so.
We eventually moved to Magento 2 because our team decided that BigCommerce is too expensive and not flexible enough for us. I personally liked the ease of use with this platform, but it only takes you to a certain level. When the web store gets more complicated, you still need a tech person to work on it. It's quite expensive for all the features too.
We used an integration with Paypal and other payment options. This gives our customers more options and it makes [it easier for] us to complete the transactions.
Very easy to use systems. Lots of functionality is in-built without the need for external apps. Used it in the retail industry with 1000s of products. Easy to customize the functionality. Default UI is decent to begin with and we tailored it to our needs as time passed. Availability of sandbox is a good bonus.
  • In-built features
  • Refunds reporting
scalable
custom functionalities added via apis
We are using BigCommerce to launch a new small business site featuring custom innovations and 3D printed designs.
  • Easy to use interface
  • Powerful product setup
  • Excellent documentation
  • Theme customization could be easier
  • Trial could be longer
  • Starter site with sample products could be more detailed
BigCommerce is great for medium to large product catalogs. For very small businesses, the amount of work required to get started can be intimidating when selling only a few products. Most BigCommerce sites seem to look very similar - more diversity of default layouts and templates would go a long way towards providing a better small business experience.
I have not used it [BigCommerce] across multiple departments, but we will have multiple brands, for which it seems well suited.
We have not used the API yet.
We came from Shopify, hoping to get a little bit more baked in from the start. [I believe] this was a big mistake. Analytics, shipping policies, and theme editing are all handled by third-party integrations, with two of those being an additional cost per month. [In my experience] some of the free templates seem a little nicer and more professional than Shopify, however, they are mostly not customizable without additional software, which means another monthly charge or going into the code. We also liked the way MSRP and Sale prices work. Additionally, importing/exporting is handled much easier and I like the Products editing screen, although some settings are hidden. Templates allow some minor edits and appearance choices but are mostly non-editable. The Menu Bar is completely non-editable. The footer is just a mirror of the main menu bar, which again is very limited. It is also basically non-editable as well, without going into the code or paying additional monthly fees for additional software for the rest of time, as any edits made by the software erases if you stop paying. BigCommerce is touting a new template drop and drag feature they are rolling out and [I feel] it is very bad. Also, support told me there was no way to move sections around after you create them, therefore the only way was to delete and start from scratch. [I believe] this is not true. The first thing you'll see when you sign into the admin is the dashboard, which [I feel] is basically non-existent. It has some minor specks of info and that's it. We also came to find out that BigCommerce does not consider an order placed until payment is made, so if you authorize only and then charge at shipping, your sales figures for the day are basically useless. [In my experience] you have to use Google Analytics for the simplest snippet of useful metrics. [I believe] the orders screen is a mess of accordion-style views. It doesn't show any fraud details or acquisition info. Also, [in my experience] checkout registration kicks the user back to the homepage and even the checkout fields are in a strange sequence. There was a hard pitch to get on the $1,500 enterprise plan and pay $3,000 to migrate data that we did ourselves in minutes. [I believe] sales is sales, it's understandable, but I'm reading that other users fall for this and [BigCommerce] charges cancellation fees. [I feel] the worst thing of all about BigCommerce is the 24/7 phone and chat support. It is 24/7, which is nice to have, but [in my experience] no one knows anything except for one person, who we have started asking for. Otherwise, [in my experience] every answer is "I think", "I think", and usually wrong, or just plain wrong right away. [I believe] you can hear the reps clicking through the admin trying to find an answer that ends up being incorrect, as you find the solution, or menu, or feature on your own a day or two later. [I feel] you should not expect any guidance at all with anything theme-related. [I feel] BigCommerce kind of laughs at Shopify for being basic and needing add-ons for simple things, but those things are typically minor tweaks for a few dollars. With BigCommerce, you cannot even work well without several integrations.
  • Easier importing/exporting
  • [I feel] phone support and chat are useless, because no one knows anything.
  • [I believe] they have predatory salesmanship.
  • [In my experience] the dashboard needs major updating.
  • Automatic collections.
  • Better and easier customizations.
I really don't like BigCommerce.
We were looking for the basics and [I feel] BigCommerce failed at that. Perhaps they should only offer Enterprise Level websites with full support by developers, because [I believe] it is terrible for end-users thinking they can drag and drop.
The most important part is to get a website looking the way you want and [in my experience] it is basically impossible with the feature set that BigCommerce offers.
Michael Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
BigCommerce is Lindsey's primary sheet music store. She offers every type of sheet music she owns and her fans can purchase her sheet music directly from the BigCommerce website. Originally, she was using her own website, LindseyStirling.com, to list her products but after multiple management changes, keeping that website updated and running smoothly was a problem. With her new sheet music site, we can keep her sheet music updated as much as needed without the worry of having anyone else take the site down due to technical issues or management changes. It has been the perfect solution.
  • Provides a simple user interface for adding products.
  • Allows for easy credit card payment processing.
  • Very quick customer support.
  • Can hold a LOT of products.
  • Is separate from your regular website so if your site goes down, your store won't.
  • The website design portion is terrible. Very hard to update with complete confidence.
  • The website template is hard to manipulate.
  • Each product detail page can be completely customized. This creates pages with CSS that don't look anything like the site they're on; it's disorganized.
If you're a large company with at least 100 products, BigCommerce would be right for you. When compared to WordPress websites, you don't need to know anything technical in order to add/remove/edit products or do anything with your site. Their interface makes it easy to add products without having to know PHP or any other programming language.
In my many years as Lindsey's primary web developer, I have not needed to scale larger than what's currently provided. I will say that as more and more products are added to the sheet music site, it can be difficult to keep track of the different products but BigCommerce does provide a clear and easy way to locate, update, and add new products.
We're not currently using the APIs or any available integrations but in the future we plan to. With BigCommerce's API documentation, every possible scenario or desired outcome is clearly displayed. When we do integrate their technology, we'll do it with ease. The docs are well constructed and I'm confident they're up to date.
Darcy Knapp, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
BigCommerce facilitates our ecommerce store. We retail a full line of automotive key control products and have been selling online for appx 9 years. We switched to BigCommerce to get more versatility and better optimization for our product line. We also build, manage and optimize BigCommerce stores for clients.
  • Fast load time of site platform on all devices
  • Easy Inventory Management
  • New Variations tools are much faster for data loading
  • Fully accessible meta data for categories, inventory, pages and posts for optimization
  • Convenient built in blog for adding content
  • Platform is easy to train on, we use webex to train clients on their back end management of their stores
  • Multiple Payment options encourage more sales
  • Amazon integration, Google Shopping integration, eBay integration
  • Need to be able to add tracking information to customer order
  • Would like shipping alert to be editable to include tracking number
  • Need more of a WIZWIG editor or theme options that do not require coding, most clients cannot handle the areas of the platform that require html skills to edit
Great for start up or established ecommerce business. For the same price as basic Shopify store you get a full featured store with BigCommerce. We also build a lot of WordPress stores for startups, most migrate to BigCommerce as their revenues grow. For small stores 1-4 products, a Wordpress starting point is more affordable (free ecomm plugins) but when you are ready to make your store a business, you need a full functioning store with the capabilities to integrate with 3rd party shipping and selling platforms.
BigCommerce Cart offers scalability - the only challenge we have had is the phasing out of existing templates (no support) and the lack of viable templates with full inventory display on home page. We have clients with both paid and basic themes, and upgrading is not an option if we cannot find a theme option with inventory display (NOT CAROUSEL). EStores need to feature 20+ products on home page all the time, the carousel is only viable on desktop and it can only display 5-6 items without scrolling, not our idea of good product display. Home page products outsell all outer products in store, need to have enough display space to feature more than what is available in a stupid carousel.
Integrations allow us to provide inventory to multiple third parties for additional selling options. We use the apps to push inventory to Amazon and Google Shopping. Adding Amazon check out has increased our sales. Right now approximately 1/3 of all checkouts are Amazon pay. We recently integrated our BigCommerce (BC) store with our Amazon store, so now our Amazon sales track in BigCommerce and customers are saved in BC history with their orders, great for retargeting via our email marketing.
other than a few issues that can be overcome with a programmers assistance, the platform is easy to use/manage and train our clients on
Friendly, live 24/7 support, USA based, never overseas operators reading out of manuals
Jennifer Heinzel | TrustRadius Reviewer
BigCommerce is being used as a store platform management tool. Customer service receives order notifications and details that allow them to input into our internal Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system. I have been using it in sales to view when customers are emailing, calling, or entering their purchases on the web so I can follow up with order status.
  • Search tool is very advanced and filters what I'm looking for every time.
  • I like that I can see a snap shot of a whole list of orders.
  • I think it could do a better job of notifying users if they or their company has an active storefront account. I come across some that register as users, then at a later date register as guests.
I think BigCommerce has done a good job of capturing required order details and I think it's been very user-friendly.
I'm not too familiar with how we have integrated the software. We have not integrated it into our Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
We have a robust store with every product having a custom look and function but we still stay uniform from page to page. The functions to hide and view pricing or products have been very useful for when we are out of stock or have a product on backorder.
Rebecca Gerads | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our company uses Big Commerce for selling our trailer parts that we manufacture and parts we have on hand from various industry vendors. This gives us a platform for our Parts and Service department to receive orders via the online presence along with the typical walk-in customers.
  • Big Commerce allows us to handle the processing of payments with ease and confidence.
  • It gives us the flexibility to adjust items listed on the fly.
  • Provides us with the needed platform to sell our trailer parts across the country.
  • Shipping options could be expanded
  • Provide a preview mode when making updates instead of it being "live" right away
  • Add a few more line items to classify an order as a potential fraud attempt
For us Big Commerce has been very functional in the sense that we can expand our distribution area/reach which before we started using was only a 50-60 mile radius of our physical location. For some of our items that we offer, Big Commerce is good for giving us the visibility to the customer that we have that part to offer but not necessarily the selected specs to ensure the customer is getting the version of the part that they need which in turn results in a phone call or chat.
For what we are utilizing the platform for we have seen great results.
We have recently started in to utilizing more of the integration features for the Big Commerce platform for example ShipperHQ. To date this has helped to streamline our shipping processes and options a lot
John Akers | TrustRadius Reviewer
BigCommerce is being used by [my company] and is an excellent hosting company with many features. BibCommerce addresses marketing and inventory in a unique way. Having an eBay account is important but BigCommerce now integrates with your eBay to manage inventory, etc. The support is very professional and there are tutorials on every page to guide you in the management of your site. Overall, an excellent hosting company.
  • Excellent support.
  • [The] navigation of BigCommerce is laid out very well!
  • At this time I do not have any recommendations for improvement. They have covered every item that I have questions [about].
I need a hosting company that allows me access to their support team [at] a moment['s] notice. BigCommerce has excellent support staff.
BigCommerce has been quite adequate for our needs.
We use eBay and the integration between BigCommerce and eBay allows a seamless selling experience.
I use Bigcommerce to sell my products. It is easy to understand and someone is always there to help when you have a problem. They have a lot of features and everything you need to run your business. The price is lower than a lot of platforms for the features you receive. I can see us using Bigcommerce for many years.
  • Customer service is so important. They have great customer service
  • They have everything you need without having to purchase apps to get your business going.
  • I love their themes.
  • I wish they had a better sale feature, so you wouldn't have to do it manually.
  • I would like to see that you could take bulk items out of a category all at the same time. Like when you have a newly listed item. Just click all the boxes and remove from Newly listed. Some of the products have different categories so you have to do them one at a time.
  • I would love to see you be able to use product options that customers can pick and have it come off automatically. The feature they have doesn't work well with my products.
Bigcommerce is well suited for small to very large businesses. They are very professional and ready to help with any situation regardless of your company size. With the price of Bigcommerce and its features you are able to use. There really isn't any reason to look for a new platform.
The product is easy to use, enabling our small business to sell online, while not requiring external support (IT). We appreciate the availability to integrate videos in your product listings. Apps are easy to use with the themes. We have a small business, but feel that, as we grow, BigCommerce is already prepared for our needs.
Through Amazon, facebook, twitter, ebay, google, blogs and many more.
Micah Jewell | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is used by the entire organization and one person runs it. Since we are a one-person operation, there are no logistical problems. It gives us the online sales presence we want and need.
  • Easy to navigate
  • Easy to design with no design or coding experience
  • Simple to make quick changes as products and sales change
  • There was a problem with one of the designs and I couldn’t get it fixed because it was from a third party
  • I would like to see more free template designs for us small businesses that can’t afford unique designs
  • The app extensions aren’t always easy to implement and are sometimes confusing
BigCommerce is a great e-commerce platform that is suited for the small startup and able to grown into a large online presence. It is easy to use, especially for those of us with no design or coding experience. It allows us to sell all over with ease and trust. I can do everything I need to with all our products and promotions.
There are many ways to scale and grow the use of the platform while the company scales and grows, whether it’s adding apps or upgrading to use more features.
I am able to use various apps and features in order to make the website the way we want it for others to see.