A Pure pleasure to use!
Updated May 27, 2020

A Pure pleasure to use!

Overall Satisfaction with Pure Storage FlashArray

We use the Pure Array to provide storage for a VMware ESX infrastructure supporting security operations and testing. We replaced two racks of spinning disks (over 200TB) in use with one "small" 3-4 RU Pure Array with significantly less power requirements and significant performance improvements. Probably the best part (of moving from a major storage provider known by 3 letters) was the improved support and ease on the support staff. We are no longer concerned with storage issues from running out or missing a significant issue or upgrade.
  • Support over the last 18 months we have been 2-3 upgrades - no down time, we just schedule it and the tech gets it done.
  • Notification of potential issues - they told us that one of our servers was throwing storage errors, while we were aware of the issue, it is nice knowing that there is another party following up.
  • Performance - the array has done exactly what they claimed from density of deduplication to work load support.
  • The only con I can think of going in is the expense - the array seems expensive for what you get, but when the value is considered, it really is not a concern. I have to say of all the tech purchased, we have not found a good solid Con.....
  • No more complaints from users or administrators about system performance
  • It allowed us to give back racks of space in the data center
  • ROI with security products is tough to measure but having a reliable product allows us to work on real issues rather than product issues
the perceived cost almost kept us from purchasing the array. The array is somewhat "expensive" when you are comparing to many other arrays, however, when you consider our total cost included 5 years of support, the ability to upgrade and very high performing system the costs have been well worth it. - This array has be bullet proof with very little effort to manage.
we have benefited from extremely low over head for system administrators. The speed for adding new systems is very simple, and user intuitive. Sustainment of the system has been a snap, with simple to use, and if one has not used in awhile simple to understand what was being done, and how to configure the new setup.
The best features in my opinion, is the support. Essentially we have gone to Storage supported by the vendor. While the system is on our premises, when we have had issues, we open a ticket which Pure is quick to respond. In the past 3 years, we have had a few upgrades to the system, which were very simple for us, with no down time and not outages. So beyond the performance which is spectacular, the support is awesome.
We are consistently able to deploy new systems very quickly and able to make our customers happy with the short lead time from the request to having a system ready to deliver. We have not gone through our evergreen upgrade yet, so I cannot comment on that, but if it is anything like our other experiences it will be a snap.
Be prepared to use your people on new projects as your storage admins will have a lot of time. Pure is well worth the investment. You may be concerned about the price or have sticker shock, however the investment is well worth it in simplicity, ease of use and speed to getting things done.
All issues have been addressed quickly with no down time. Our SE regularly tells us when it is time to upgrade or a patch is needed. Excellent. I have 20 years experience with Cisco support which is awesome, I have to say Pure support is better - maybe because they are telling me when I should upgrade rather than letting us figure it out...... the other part is that when you buy the product support is baked in - no worries about support contracts or renewals every year.
Again AWESOME on support
Performance and the guarantee were the main reasons to replace and move away from the other storage vendor. We looked at EMC, Netapp, HP all products owned within the company, and went with Pure, we went with it because of the simplicity of administration.

Since we have owned the our FlashArray the company (sorry some poor fool in the company) purchased an array from one of those vendors listed above, having used both systems, the FlashArray has a much simpler(cleaner and easier to understand) user interface, and has been bullet proof. Support wise I have 100% more confidence in the Pure support (both have similar support) - and have this feeling, I would have to discover the issue from that other vendor, rather than with the Pure receiving proactive notifications.
  • End users have been very happy with the performance and complaints due to storage have disappeared.
  • Zero Down time with the array
If you cannot afford it, it probably is not a good choice - but why are you looking at enterprise storage then? We use in a virtual space and it works GREAT. We use it with a Multi-5TB data base which is hammered 24x7 - any issues are not related to storage - every issue we have had is due to the application.

Pure Storage FlashArray Feature Ratings

Flash Array Performance
Flash Array Integration
Data Compression
Non-Intrusive Upgrades
Simplicity
Power Savings

Simplicity

1 day to install, we ran it for a few days moved some systems to it, ran flawless, and said "f-it" move everything over to it, and have not looked back at all. It was an easy transition that all of the administrators were happy to accomplish. I can teach any VMware admin how to manage storage in about 30 minutes and they will good to go.

Pure Storage FlashArray Support

Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
None
Yes - The support is included in the package, so it was hard to say "do you pay" well it was included. But it has been worth it if that is the question.
Yes - yes, it was resolved. More that that, Pure has notified us several times of issues with code versions we are on and have proactively upgraded rather than us finding out we have an issue with system crashes. So they are very proactive in working with their customers, it is very impressive for a company to do this.
It is hard to describe a specific instance. When I started my career a long time ago, I dealt with Cisco extensively I was always impressed with the service they provide - I have to admit that Pure is actually better service than Cisco. Since our support is rolled into the hardware, it is lower over head and easier to manage than Cisco. So while different product lines, I would say PURE has better support that Cisco. Consistently when we have requested support, Pure has helped and fixed our issues.