Vimeo Reviews

Marissa Roth | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 22, 2020

Vimeo was the best move for our company.

Vimeo is used by one department at the organization's headquarters. Videos that are produced and uploaded can be viewed by the entire organization. Now more than ever, our organization is depending on modern technology to educate and engage members worldwide. Vimeo provides a solution to educating members near and far, especially now that most of the world is working remotely/virtually. Not only does this allow the organization to educate others in light of a pandemic, but it also provides a method of ongoing and on-demand learning in the long-term.
  • User-friendly interface for administrators of the account and external viewers. Being able to easily navigate a new platform or software is ideal for anyone.
  • Seamless sharing and embedding across many platforms. Vimeo is well-recognized so it makes it easy for other platforms to recognize Vimeo. The compatibility is outstanding.
  • As an administrator of the account, being able to select viewing privileges may seem like a basic function, but it's so necessary right now with how heavy our organization is utilizing the platform. We can mass upload content early and only release it for the public over time by simply changing it to a public video.
  • In the past, I have had trouble locating the account of others to follow. It very well could be user error, however, finding others within the organization has been a challenge.
  • The navigation pane on the left-hand side could be more thorough than the basic "Home, Video and Create" options available.
  • I would like to see more comprehensive editing features to videos being uploaded. Trimming, audio, and other options should be readily available.
I think Vimeo is well-used by organizations or people interested in placing the videos within another platform (within an app, embedded in a website, etc.) rather than someone looking for a video platform for social media purposes. I would say Vimeo is a wonderful business solution rather than a personal outlet.
Read Marissa Roth's full review
Jonah Dempcy | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 29, 2020

Boutique Video Service Evokes Artsy Sophistication

I have used Vimeo for 11 years in both a personal and professional capacity, primarily for the hosting of product demo videos and screencasts. I first began using Vimeo to host short instructional videos on a jazz lessons blog that I made. I preferred Vimeo to its competitors then because there was such a great community of artists and creators, and Vimeo seemed much more sophisticated and high-brow. I felt I was in good company among other content creators and the user interface was sleek and elegant. Later, when I worked at Surefield, a real estate company started by a cofounder of Redfin, we used Vimeo exclusively for our customer-facing product demos. Now at Bluefire, we use Vimeo whenever we need to demonstrate a particular feature to a client through a screencast, or put together short instructional videos. Vimeo allows us to deliver video content in a sleek package that gives the appearance of being more professional and sophisticated than its competitors, in my opinion.
  • Image and Branding - Vimeo has always had an edge on design and branding versus its competitors like YouTube. Using Vimeo as a content delivery platform gives the appearance of being luxurious and having a high-end product.
  • Video Configuration - I've used YouTube through multiple iterations of their video management and configuration options, and Vimeo has continued to beat it hands down, both in ease of use and robustness. I can easily organize my Vimeo videos into tags and playlists while I still struggle with YouTube, where it is quite laborious.
  • User Interaction - Vimeo allows you to capture user email addresses for email lists with ease, something its competitors have not figured out yet. You can easily split your video into chapters and hyperlink from within the video to other areas, features which competitors like YouTube have in some form but not nearly as easy to use or well-implemented as Vimeo.
  • Video Analytics - Vimeo has a full-featured analytics suite that helps content creators understand user interaction and engagement with their videos.
  • Versioning and Collaboration - Vimeo has workflows for video history and for collaboration where you can have a content creator upload a video which enters a pipeline for an editor to approve. I have not used these workflows, but it's pretty cool that they have implemented features like this.
  • Custom Micro-Sites - I have only ever embedded Vimeo videos in websites that I've created, or sent them as links to clients, but I have seen well-designed micro-sites for content creators built using Vimeo. Overall, Vimeo does design and branding very well. Their micro-sites look much better, visually speaking, than competitors like YouTube whose equivalent feature, the YouTube Channel, just seems dry in comparison.
  • Price - For the full featureset of Vimeo, you will be paying $900 a year as of 2020, and this is expected to only go up over time. Thankfully, Vimeo offers lower tiers with less functionality, and most people will not need the unlimited streaming viewers or whopping 7 TB of storage that you get for the highest level of membership. But it is still a premium price for a premium service.
  • "Suggested" Algorithm - The equivalent of YouTube's suggested videos feature is the Vimeo Staff Picks, which recommends curated content from their team of editors. While this content generally has a high level of production, it is not especially relevant to the video you are watching, or to your watch history as a user. I rarely watch suggested videos in Vimeo.
  • Search - The Vimeo search page is beautiful, having huge thumbnails of videos with a clean, visually-appealing layout. However, the results themselves leave much to be desired. When I search for "jung" to try to find videos on Swiss psychologist C. G. Jung, of the first 18 results, not a single result is actually about C. G. Jung. On Youtube, the first 14 results are all about Jung. When I search for "c. g. jung" on Vimeo I find a number of relevant results, so it's not that the videos are not available in Vimeo. Rather, the search algorithm is not returning relevant results.
Vimeo is perfect for content delivery from a business to a user where branding, design, and image is of the utmost importance. Vimeo is a boutique premium video delivery platform that puts a lot of care and attention to detail into their features, so choosing them as a service to deliver videos to customers shows that same care and concern. The brand has a luxury bespoke feel. It is suitable for small companies and content creators who are design-conscious, as well as larger companies for whom the branding fits. Vimeo has always had an artsy vibe, for lack of a better term, being the preferred video delivery platform for artists, musicians and videographers, compared to YouTube which is often joked about because of its notorious comments section, although this has gotten much better in recent years. There are other competitors to Vimeo as well, but none of them have the high-end, boutique branding that Vimeo has.

I would say Vimeo is less suitable for certain verticals like gaming (where Twitch and YouTube are more appropriate), or utilitarian purposes like instructional videos on how to fix your car, say. Vimeo is also not as suitable for applications where branding is not a concern.
Read Jonah Dempcy's full review
Marquita Angelina | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 05, 2020

Highly disappointed with Vimeo

Our firm has a doctors newsletter subscription that thousands and thousands of doctors subscribe to nationwide, and we also host live webinars.
  • Nothing I can really think of.
  • Customer support - it sucks with only canned responses, and I don't think you're ever speaking with a real person via email.
  • Allowing for video editing on line (at least being able to cut videos).
  • Better uploading experience for the end user (don't have any issues with other video hosting providers).
Vimeo's customer support has been quite disappointing. While their usual and customary canned responses are suitable for small tech issues, don't ever get into a real problem with their platform, because they will NOT respond to inquiring emails and continue to send canned responses. The only caveat is when I actually called Livestream's enterprise customer sales support, and the rep did help me, although we are NOT supposed to contact by phone. For that, I give them a 3, just for her kindness.

Our firm paid for the business pro for 900/year. Our firm also has a doctors newsletter subscription that thousands and thousands of doctors subscribe to nationwide, and we also host live webinars. Livestream/Vimeo has a significant deficit when it comes to any kind of editing capabilities and uploading (even just cutting out a frame or 2). For some reason, if our webinars were public and not exclusive to subscribers, we can place the video on YouTube without issue. Vimeo's platform is another story (for when we have to download, edit, and re-upload). We are now seeking out other (more proficient and better) platforms and WOULD NOT recommend Vimeo's Top Tiered Subscription for $900/year unless you're okay with no real help and canned responses when you actually need a person on the other end of that email. Again, we serve thousands of thousands of subscribers, don't charge as much as Vimeo, and provide much better customer support to our users/subscribers. Shame on you, Vimeo!!! Shame on you!
Read Marquita Angelina's full review
Julianna Oates | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 27, 2020

Why I love Vimeo!

My company uses Vimeo to publish our completed videos. After our clients' films have gone through each department (videography, editing, etc.), we publish them to Vimeo and add a description that shares the details of the event such as venue or photographer. We use the Vimeo links as sharing links that allow our clients to share their films with friends and family without having to provide individual download links. All our videos on Vimeo have detailed descriptions, tags, and are added to a few specific showcases. Vimeo allows us to share files easily with people anywhere, especially on social media!
  • Vimeo allows us to easily sort our films in to showcases (like folders) for easy filing.
  • Vimeo allows us to add tags that help our videos become more searchable on search engines.
  • Vimeo allows us to share films easily with clients around the world with a simple URL share.
  • Vimeo allows us to set privacy settings for each film so that privacy is always an option for our clients.
  • I wish Vimeo's showcases had their own privacy features. If I create a showcase where the videos within that showcase are private, viewers can still see the title of the video and that it exists in that showcase, they just can't watch the actual video. That seems like a big flaw to me... a private video should be totally private and not able to be seen at all by anyone other than the account holder.
  • I think the way you publish videos to YouTube could be better! I wish the cover image from Vimeo transferred to YouTube when published.
I would recommend Vimeo to colleagues who work in the video world. Vimeo allows for easy and relatively instant sharing of files that are linked back to the creator. The ability to add SEO tags is so helpful as well and helps establish better search engine recognition for my website.
Read Julianna Oates's full review
June 16, 2020

Great Potential, But Fell Short. Customer Support Nonexistent

We are an online yoga resource center. We use Vimeo primarily to host our pre-recorded videos and embed it into our website (urbanyogisg.com). With the onset of covid, we upgraded our account from Business to Premium in order to use their live stream capabilities for live yoga classes. We are a small organization of two owners and approximately 10 teachers who all log into the Vimeo account in order to stream our scheduled classes. We embed the pre-recorded videos as well as the live streams into our website so our customers view the classes directly from our website.
  • Customizable videos to suit our brand.
  • Ease of use and ease of organizing all of our videos.
  • Ability to embed with customizable features.
  • Customer service needs improvement.
  • Streaming is slow and unreliable.
  • Videos often buffer and skip.
Vimeo is well suited for users who do not rely heavily on videos as a product. Perhaps if a company uses videos for marketing purposes. However, if the videos or live streams themselves are your product, I would tread carefully. We lost quite a few customers because the video and stream quality were less than desirable.
March 10, 2020

Vimeo has helped us find so much new work!

We use Vimeo to publish our completed client films. The clients get a download link as well as a sharing link which is a Vimeo link. In the video's description on Vimeo we add related project information crediting contributors and in the tags we add SEO related information. Through both the tags and the video description, we have gotten new work from people who found our films on Vimeo!
  • Vimeo allows users to easily search through their body of work in just seconds.
  • Vimeo allows us to tag each film independently based on its content.
  • Vimeo allows us to sort like films into showcases (like folders).
  • Vimeo allows people online to find our films easily.
  • I wish viewers who were looking at our Vimeo channel had the option to search through our work with a search bar so they could type in a word or phrase and our films that related would appear for them. We have that option on our side, but I wish our potential clients had that option within our specific channel.
  • I wish the selected cover image would move over to YouTube when published from Vimeo.
Vimeo has been great! It's so easy to use and the links always work. We love being able to set our back end settings like where our films can be embedded quickly and easily. Vimeo allows us to promote and protect our work all at the same time. I think Vimeo is suited for any media company or person who wants to share their films whether publicly or privately. There are settings for both options!
February 18, 2020

Vimeo for online courses!

My online business uses Vimeo for my clients who sell online courses. My clients can upload their videos to Vimeo, and I can use the easy embed settings to put into the program we use for their online courses. It is insanely easy to use and very reliable. I highly recommend for anyone needing to store videos for access across a team.
  • Vimeo is easy to embed into other sites.
  • Quick uploads compared to Dropbox
Vimeo is great for online businesses needing a place to store their videos. If you are looking to use it for a place to get your content out to new users, then it is more complicated.
Michael Anderson | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 15, 2019

Vimeo is professional video hosting at its best.

I work with a small video production team and we use Vimeo (business) to upload dozens of videos a month for client review and internal organization of projects for our portfolio. Every person on our team uses it to host video drafts and with the review page links we're able to send to clients in a clean interface that even offers optional timecoded review notes and versioning. It's been a game changer for our team and we honestly couldn't do without it.
  • Vimeo's Pro and Business plans offer TONS of host space limited only by large weekly limits (unlimited on business level)
  • Vimeo's review tools have improved immensely to match competitors like Frame.io making Vimeo a hugely viable option for client review hosting. They offer easy to use timecoded comments, customizable branding elements, engagements graphs and tools.
  • Vimeo also has a desktop app for Mac and Windows that makes uploading and managing videos a little easier. They've also added plugin integration with NLEs like Premiere Pro.
  • If you are uploading very large videos (event coverage, training, full interviews, etc) you will quickly rip through the weekly upload limits on the free and Pro tiers, requiring the much more expensive business level.
  • I've found the load times and responsiveness on some of the menu screens to be a bit slow. This could be optimized down the road.
Vimeo is great for people or teams that want a solid professional level video hosting platform. It's not great for small social videos or family videos.
Read Michael Anderson's full review
Matthew Dilworth | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 01, 2019

Get ready to go with Vimeo

Vimeo provides our marketing team a video platform to host internal and public facing videos.
  • Easy upload tools make it a snap to add to your video library
  • Extensive video player customization and playback options
  • Easy to navigate user interface
  • Needs Marketo and Salesforce integration
  • More advanced video gating options
  • Would be nice to order close caption files direct from Vimeo to incorporate in as subtitles and in different languages
Perfect solution for those just getting started building out their video library that plan to simply embed the video files or point traffic directly to the Vimeo page. Lacking advanced marketing toolsets like Vidyard and Brightcove might offer.
Read Matthew Dilworth's full review
November 15, 2019

Great full service video hosting and sharing product for (most of) your company's needs.

We use Vimeo to upload all our company videos and to share them both internally and externally. We monitor stats on view rate and consumption of our visits through Vimeo. All the videos on our site are posted via a Vimeo link. We also use Vimeo to privately share videos within the company.
  • Great video player.
  • Robust and flexible options for embedding videos to your website.
  • Professional analytics.
  • Great customer service (pro-level membership).
  • Seamless uploading and managing of all our companies video assets.
  • It's not as socially robust as YouTube.
  • We sometimes bump into limitations with embedding videos (only in certain use cases).
Vimeo (pro membership) is great for all of our mid-sized companies video hosting and sharing needs. We share our videos via our website (hosted by Vimeo) and share them directly to leads during the sales process. We also use the privacy sharing features to privately share works in progress between our design and marketing teams and key voices as they need to review them. The free version is very limited, and the social features of the site are not nearly as robust as YouTube. Unfortunately, their live streaming service is untenable for us. We looked into it but the support for our needs just isn't there yet.
Hanaa Ibham | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 06, 2019

Vimeo; A great platform for great videos!

We use Vimeo as the primary video publication across the whole company, but we mainly use it in the Video department. It is very convenient when sharing the videos with the audience and using the videos on the website. We have separate albums for each of our clients and we can privatize the video as needed. As a digital marketing company, we have to make sure we provide the videos efficiently and in high quality and Vimeo allows us to achieve that, we can upload larger files as well. We also have to provide the stats for each and every video we publish to the clients. And in Vimeo, we can get the views, impressions and the source each video was viewed, which is great. The amount of customer support is also great whenever I do come across any issue, I contact them and get a response shortly. I have come across some issues when deriving older stats for video but got the issues resolved by contacting the support. Sometimes there are streaming issues, but they are usually resolved using different browser.
  • Increased storage space is definitely a plus.
  • Definitely more secure, than other video sharing platforms.
  • I love the auto-expiring links that we can share with clients on limited time offers.
  • Downloading the videos are very convenient compared to other video sharing platforms.
  • The Vimeo videos do not appear on search engine results, it would be better if search engines can find them.
  • The search option can be made better. Looking up for old videos are a hassle sometimes.
  • Can have CC autogeneration option, it would be better.
Vimeo would be the best platform to store videos securely, share them with your audience. Definitely, the quality is ensured and uploading/downloading is very convenient. Specific purpose videos, where you share manually, this would be a great platform. I will not recommend Vimeo if you are hoping to get exposure using this, as search engines do not show Vimeo videos on results. One has to be using Vimeo to find Vimeo videos. And Vimeo is not ideal for in-mail videos, as the video does not play in the mail, but opens on a new tab.
Read Hanaa Ibham's full review
Mark Nowowiejski | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 05, 2019

Take Video Streaming to a higher level at a lower price

I use Vimeo Pro as cloud storage for 1000s of online course videos as well as for webinar recordings. We also use it to track viewer analytics throughout the semester and share course specific portfolios with new instructors and teaching assistants.
  • The portfolio/collection template allows us to build out setlists very quickly but also gives us flexibility on the overall and look and feel. If you know even basic CSS you can do quite a bit with it.
  • Domain control. My clients are often particular about where certain videos can be embedded or shared. Vimeo allow me to specify exactly which sites the content can be embedded in.
  • Vimeo allows us to attach custom cover slides to every video, something that was a pain point with some of the other services we looked at.
  • Customer Service has always been very strong, especially when we needed to pull customized reports or massive collections of links
  • You can upload a replacement file to an existing asset with out worrying about the url or embed code changing.
  • It needs to support more users under a single account. I often end up having to share login information with other team members or clients which is not ideal in terms of security. The 'PRO' account only allows for 3 users which no even remotely close to what I typically need.
  • The search feature isn't great, it allows for tagging and descriptions but the titles seem to be the only thing that counts when it returns results.
  • It doesn't have an embeddable playlist feature like YouTube.
  • There are no real inline interactive elements available. would love to be able to do in-video polls or quizzes.
I think that if you're just starting out it's a great tool; it's cheap relatively speaking (there is a free/basic version but it's very limited). The UI is generally better than YouTube and I feel like the content in more secure. It also integrated well with video review tools such as Wipster and various captioning services. That said as your catalog begins to amass you may find the search feature to be a real limitation. If you are not smart about how you title your videos early on it can be nearly impossible to find an asset once you have a few 100 videos.

It is still far better for video hosting than streaming something off your own site or server. I've had no issues with sending Vimeo content to international users, even those in China or other countries that may have restricted internet.
Read Mark Nowowiejski's full review
Michael Ball-Marian | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 02, 2019

Great for embedded video hosting

Our startup needed a place to host marketing and how-to videos for our product. Everyone on the team had access so that we could all add new videos as needed. The videos were then embedded either on our marketing site or within our application.
  • Easy to add and organize your videos.
  • Easy to set up team members and control permissions.
  • Great, simple, configurable UI for embedding your videos.
  • Doesn't auto-play the next video, or show unrelated videos to our users. This was key. I think there is some way to do this with YouTube, but it wasn't as obvious. Vimeo just did what we wanted from the start.
  • I was a little hard to edit/replace an existing video. I recall we found some way to do that, but it was not at all obvious.
  • Really, nothing else major that I recall.
Vimeo is great if you are just embedding videos within your existing properties (website or app). There is a whole public side to the Vimeo platform (e.g., create your own programming channel, etc) that we didn't really explore. We just wanted a simple, powerful solution to host and embed high-def videos on our site -- Vimeo did that quickly, easily and affordably. If that is your usage scenario, Vimeo is great.
Read Michael Ball-Marian's full review
Rajiv Chidambaram, BE, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 01, 2019

Great hosting & sharing tool, but it could have more features available to PRO users!

We use the product to host and market our product videos—demos, webinars, seminars, interviews, etc. It is currently used by the Sales & Marketing Departments and it helps gives our sales reps easy access to product materials that they can share with prospects and clients. We also embed videos on a lot of our marketing materials (landing pages, blogs, and website) and Vimeo Pro makes that very simple.
  • Easy To Manage Content: The Process to Upload, Manage and Use is very straightforward
  • Good Quality: The Player itself looks very nice, and the videos are always crisp and high quality to share online.
  • Customizing the Look: We have many different brands in our portfolio, and Vimeo Pro makes it easy for us to customize and use various logos for different videos.
  • Would be great to add forms/lead gen tools to the Pro version as the next tier is very expensive for a small marketing budget team.
  • Provide templates/examples of how to present videos/product demos for specific markets/audiences.
Great for online video embedding and content management (1 TB storage is ample). Great for sharing internally and externally, with the library feature it is very simple to find relevant videos. The upload process can sometimes be quite long and there are some formats of video that are not accepted. We have had an instance where we tried to upload a video recording through a screen grab software, but Vimeo was unable to do it.
Read Rajiv Chidambaram, BE, MBA's full review
Mike Wittenstein | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 01, 2019

VimeoPro: Super valuable for non-pro professionals who use video

We use Vimeo Pro to store client meetings, interviews, work sessions, design charrettes, promotional videos, presentations, and more. We use most of Vimeo Pro’s features including the ability to password-protect clients’ workshops, presentation mode for sharing videos without distraction, and the review capabilities.
  • It’s super easy to upload, tag, and set a variety of preferences quickly and accurately. Vimeo Pro has the basics down.
  • The playback feature is highly configurable so that you can give Ewers as much or as little control over the video, the volume, and the branding as you like.
  • One of the newer features as the ability to have people comment on work-in-progress videos. It’s intuitive to just click your mouse, type your comment, and move on.
  • I would like Vimeo Pro to offer the ability to configure more detail and descriptions as you upload a single video or a group of videos. That would save me some time.
If you want to make your valuable video assets available to a team, consider Vimeo Pro. If you’re ready to have your videos available anywhere (even if you’re working solo) consider Vimeo Pro. If you don’t want to purchase lots of storage (and make sure you’re backups never disappear), consider Vimeo Pro.
Read Mike Wittenstein's full review
Rocky Kev | TrustRadius Reviewer

Vimeo Pro works!

My department originally needed a video hosting platform that had privacy built in. YouTube wouldn't have worked for us, Amazon S3 didn't have the capability to deliver streaming video at the time, and Wistia was too expensive for our needs. Vimeo Pro was affordable and worked. My team uses Vimeo Pro to host all of our training videos - the training videos are organized on our main site, and are embedded from Vimeo Pro.
  • Private Video Hosting
  • Lots of options - privacy, video customization, API calls
  • Streams videos without much hiccups
  • Affordable
  • Easy to host videos quickly
  • Video templates - so you can have a set of options saved and reuse it over and over again
  • Tends to give video errors of 'this video is private' when it's not. It then fixes itself a few minutes later.
  • Their reporting tool is inaccurate and unclear of what anything means.
  • It still has a history of wanting to look like Youtube, with a video feed and a social media side, that just has no value for me.
Vimeo Pro is well suited if you need to host internal videos and don't want to do a lot of configurations to set it up. Once your videos are uploaded, you can then embed them or share them anywhere, and very quickly too. You can set the video to only show on specific sites, and organize your library of content in folders.

If the video is vital - like a sales video, where a error can cause a customer to never return - I recommend Wistia instead (even though it's more expensive.). Vimeo Pro is much more cost effective overall.
Read Rocky Kev's full review
March 12, 2019

High Quality Videos for the Creative Industry

Compared to other image hosting platforms, we like to use Vimeo Pro for internal videos since it has great quality, easy management and password protected videos.
  • Easy to administer.
  • Great video quality.
  • Good access controls.
  • Better navigation, sometimes I get lost.
  • Since it is specialized in its use, I would like to see innovative video content options.
  • Improve commenting and review options.
  • More external integrations.
Vimeo Pro is good for video storage and proofing for creatives, such as video editors and marketers. I particularly like it for access-controlled video sharing for internal product demonstrations and customer-facing demos. It is easy enough for the user in Product Management, Marketing Communication, and key Account Management who can seamlessly use it as administrators or as end users.
March 09, 2019

Vimeo Pro: A Must Have

At my current role, we do a lot of video work for our clients (particularly B2B marketing). This involves a LOT of graphic-heavy videos/video production. Clients want to be able to see progress. Vimeo Pro is a great tool because it allows us a lot of storage space for our client work, and it helps us share the content.
  • The support for our videos is fantastic – there's no loss in resolution/compression...all of our videos are crystal-clear.
  • We can customize the privacy links of our videos so that we can upload an incomplete project just to show a client current progress (way easier than FTP transfer in most cases).
  • Vimeo Pro lets you see stats on your videos. Which ones have the most clicks/watches, etc. It's been great for our target marketing.
  • Vimeo Pro lacks the capacity to have a playlist of videos in a coordinated sequence that kind of revolves around a certain topic – you have to do some clicking around sometimes.
  • Processing times for videos can be a bit...time-consuming. Especially when you have clients that demand everything "yesterday."
  • If you're trying to market your video on Vimeo, it's a bit tough considering Google or Bing doesn't always show Vimeo results in contrast to YouTube videos.
If you're a production house who does a lot of video work, Vimeo Pro is a MUST HAVE. There's no loss in quality when uploading videos, the layout is easy to navigate and clean, and it's a much more professional setting than YouTube. The service, quality, and customer care that Vimeo offers its users is basically unparalleled.
March 05, 2019

It does what I need it to do

I work for a church and we use Vimeo Pro to post the sermon online to be distributed via Facebook and our website. It is used by the whole organization, as we only use Vimeo for our video needs. We don't post on YouTube or any other places. We appreciate Vimeo's clean look and its ability to password-protect a video if needed.
  • Clear user interface.
  • Easy to use even for beginners!
  • Ad-free.
  • Clean look.
  • Ability to tailor and configure different details as I upload a single/multiple videos.
  • There are times when I've tried to upload, and it will fail for no obvious reason.
Vimeo Pro is excellent when you want people to just watch and focus on your video and not be disturbed by ads. This is perfect for the nature of our church's usage -- we want our audience to watch the sermon without being bothered by ads. Plus, I feel that Vimeo Pro's interface is cleaner -- YouTube's interface can really be distracting!
March 05, 2019

Vimeo is a solid offering for the right market use cases.

We have multiple Vimeo Pro subscriptions for various departments. Each is used by a team to upload content for their department. Most is internal archive/use, but some is embedded on our public facing websites or social media accounts.
  • Vimeo allows us to have our data off-site and backed up.
  • Vimeo provides easy sharing and embed customization.
  • Vimeo has granular permissions which are nice to establish the desired privacy levels.
  • I wish they offered a ZERO OVERLAY player embed. One we could auto-play that had zero play bar, controls, etc. They come close, but not fully transparent.
  • Copyright enforcement is severe. We've had our account for over a decade and had 2 items flagged in the first few months that a user on a team had re-posted to our account from someone else. This was an instant 2 violations. Our third came nearly a decade later when a different user uploaded a copyrighted piece. Vimeo suspended our account and we were given a small time frame to download 10 years worth of data (an impossible feat) and all our embeds were broken on websites. They had no phone number to contact and no appeals process outside of an email address they say takes 24-36 hours (we never heard back on it). We had to track down an unlisted number to find out more info and appeal to the copyright owner to pull their DMCA complaint and then our account was restored. This process is not logical. There should be a longer grace period, a support number with a real person, and some sort of logic applied to how to handle this properly. Why would a 10 year customer with thousands of videos be treated the same as a new account with 3 violations? Especially when we could re-open a new account and keep going... so odd.
Vimeo is great for archiving and sharing videos to the web. It isn't great for anything that involves sharing to platforms that already integrate their own video players (like on Facebook). If you need a completely transparent (no overlays, play buttons, etc.) embed on a website, this won't work there either.
February 12, 2019

Vimeo is perfect for Video Freelancers

I've used Vimeo Pro as not only a hosting site for my freelance videos, but at my former company to share every version of the client's videos. It is a fantastic way to allow access, either by private link or password, privately without having to worry about other people viewing the video before it's a final product. The amount of storage is wonderful. I can have an incredible amount of videos on my profile and not have to worry about picking and choosing which videos to delete to make room for more.
  • The fact that I can choose the privacy settings on which video to share is one of my favorites of Vimeo Pro. It's not just an option of a private link. I can have videos set with passwords or have them completely private so only people within my company can view.
  • The amount of storage is another wonderful option on Vimeo Pro. I can have videos ranging from YEARS ago and not have to worry about having to delete anything.
  • Another great feature is having my own profile. It's nice for my freelancing because I can send someone to my Vimeo page to view more videos and examples of my work if they want to see more than what is on my website.
  • Because I am constantly sending videos out for comments from clients, it would be nice to have a feature where Vimeo Pro can allow other people to add edits on certain timecodes so that I don't have to have a separate email to go over all of their comments. I would like it to be right there, on the video. I have to use different software if I'm wanting this to be done.
Vimeo Pro is great for anyone involved in freelance video production. It's a small fee to host all your videos, and they can easily link to your website and be perfectly embedded while keeping all your stats on views.
It is less appropriate to use the software for common edits from clients. Like I said previously, it's easier to use different software to allow the clients to add their input directly on to the timecode of the video. If you use Vimeo for client reviews, it essentially adds an extra step in the process-- having to take their written edits and find the timecodes yourself on the video.
John Manuele | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 13, 2018

Great video player

It is being used throughout the company but mainly by sales as a means of sharing demo videos internally, as well as to prospective customers (less frequently.) We find it to be an effective way for people in the company to share demos internally, and it provides several easy methods for paying including through a nice mobile app and browser access.
  • Nice mobile app, easy to use and available on both iTunes and the Android store
  • Easy to upload and manage videos. Videos upload quickly, and I have never had errors or incomplete videos to playback.
  • Good video quality. I have never experienced any playback issues, or lower quality compression issues when watching videos at a later time.
  • Some of the sharing options are messy. Vimeo will say I can't share externally, but in settings there is a way to create a private link. Just a little clunky and can be confusing at times.
  • Sometimes takes a little while for videos to properly encode. Even though it has said the video has uploaded, it has sometimes taken another 5-10 minutes before the video is viewable.
It is very good for internal collaboration and sharing. Becomes a little more problematic when sharing with people who don't have a Vimeo account. Overall it is a good way to share professional quality video both internally and with customers/prospects. Seems well suited for SAAS sales especially.
Read John Manuele's full review
December 19, 2018

Vimeo Pro Makes You Look Like a Pro

We use Vimeo Pro to house all of our client and marketing videos. Because video encapsulates our entire agency, all our departments currently use Vimeo, and we have several administrators. Essentially, it lets us serve the highest quality of video to our clients and prospects without wasting their time with ads.
  • Highest quality of video
  • No ads play before the video
  • Easily embeds into email or websites
  • Vimeo lacks the search engine force that YouTube commands
  • It costs money which can be hard to get the budget for
  • It would be nice to have it play within an email client rather than open a new window
Vimeo Pro is perfect if you want the audience to just focus on your specific video and not be inundated with ads from other companies that would distract from your overall message. However, if you are looking to get famous by just adding a ton of videos to amass a subscriber base, YouTube is probably best for you.
November 16, 2018

Don't hestitate. Vimeo Pro is the right choice.

Vimeo Pro is used by the marketing team at my organization. We use it for hosting videos on our website and sharing videos through our social properties. It's a simple way to share videos within our team but keep information private and protected.
  • Private review links enable our team to easily share feedback in a private environment.
  • Customized video player is easy to imbed into landing pages on our website
  • Video stats enable my team to easily analyze video performance without having to go through an arduous process of pulling reports
  • More analysis of video statistics would give more insight on video performance
Vimeo Pro is a professional and easy to use tool for embedding videos into landing pages on your website. The video quality is high, there are no ads like other video platforms. Vimeo is essential for teams who have multiple input on videos with everyone having access and options to provide input. If you need in-depth analysis on video performance Vimeo Pro may not be able to provide those stats for you.
Chris Hecox | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 09, 2018

Vimeo Review

I used Vimeo Pro for uploading and presenting videos to clients. Vimeo was a simple way to share links to our work as well as keep videos password protected for clients. It was the main method of providing access to our videos.
  • Vimeo is an easy way to provide links for clients to access the videos we've produced for them. Links are as simple as any web link. You can make a video private and password protect it, unlist it, ensure only specific Vimeo users can see a video, etc.
  • Videos can be presented as private review links, which would allow for private feedback and a customized interface for clients.
  • Videos can be highly customized in terms of what UI will be displayed on a video (i.e. play button, share button, related videos, etc.) which means a producer will never have issues with clients being able to dig into the producer's video catalog, or can make the interface focused solely on the video itself without distraction.
  • It's 2018 and streaming shouldn't be complicated. Unfortunately, despite accessing Vimeo from many locations (home computer, office, mobile, client's offices) Vimeo has continued to prove its total incompetence. I'm not sure if this is a hosting problem with Vimeo servers or if they just hate the few cities I've lived in. Video streaming can be easy with Vimeo, but I would never ever call it consistent. In most cases, when presented with a video link not related to work, I'll try to find the video elsewhere.
  • Because I haven't used Vimeo's revision system for close to 8 months at the time of this writing, Vimeo might have made changes, so keep that in mind. Vimeo is completely outmatched by similar client feedback applications like Wipster and Frame.io. After using other services, I've completely sworn off Vimeo. I don't think it's viable any longer because giving clients the ability to leave frame-by-frame feedback is far superior to the old method of simply sending a link. Furthermore, I believe Vimeo either owns Wipster or deeply collaborates, but Wipster is fairly unreliable as well. It's as if everything Vimeo touches burns to the ground.
  • Vimeo has also found a way to mess up playlists and video collections. YouTube makes it easy for adding videos to specific playlists, but Vimeo includes collections and albums, which to this day I'm still unsure why I would pick one over the other. Adding videos to these features is flustering rather than helpful. We'd learn the system but because of privacy settings for some videos, a few videos would show up, while others wouldn't. Even after testing this in the office, we'd still have a multitude of issues when clients would return confused emails.
Vimeo is useful only if you are uploading a personal portfolio for clients to see. Vimeo has a knack for being the professionals YouTube, which is unfortunate because it has proven its mediocrity time and time again.

If you are doing more than hosting a portfolio or a few neat videos you've created, like presenting videos for clients, you need to look elsewhere. Vimeo won't cut it any longer while there are far better options available.
Read Chris Hecox's full review

Lead generation (16)
Video personalization (25)
eCommerce (8)
5.5
Support for advertisements (9)
6.6
Video SEO (18)
Integration to Marketing Automation (14)
Integration to Salesforce.com (5)
5.3
Integration to Marketo (5)
5.9
Integration to HubSpot (5)
6.3
Integration to Eloqua (3)
5.8
Integration to LMS (6)
Video access controls (29)
User management (26)
Video link sharing (28)
9.6
Internal video (26)
External video (26)
Player customization (25)
Embedded videos (30)
9.6
Video quality / Bandwidth controls (28)
Mobile compatibility (30)
A/B testing (7)
6.4
Streaming quality reports (10)
Per viewer tracking (17)
Per video tracking (22)
9.2
Video analytics dashboard (20)
On-Demand video (18)
Live streaming (10)
Impact of streaming on network (17)
Video upload & format support (27)
Video library / File management (25)
Video portal (17)
Audience polling (3)
5.4
Audience Q&A / Live chat (4)
6.5
Video comments (21)

About Vimeo

Vimeo provides tools for creators to host, share and sell videos, as well as video solutions to businesses for their internal communications and marketing needs.

For enterprises:

• Live video: High-quality streaming with features like polls, Q&A, and audience chat to keep viewers engaged wherever they are.

• Branded private portal: Centralize organizations’ live and on-demand videos with Showcase, a secure viewing destination for mobile and desktop.

• Enterprise-level security and privacy: Easily control who sees which videos with single sign-on (SSO), role-based access and more.

• Advanced analytics: Track audience engagement with location analytics, engagement graphs, and user-level stats.

• Dedicated support and services: Onboarding services and dedicated account management, plus access to Vimeo’s live production services and training.

Vimeo Competitors