Overall Satisfaction with Google Drive
I primarily use Google Drive for its cloud storage and even cloud composition via Google Docs and Sheets. I am a small business owner and use Drive collaboratively with independent associates outside my business. I love having the ability to compose a Doc that is immediately stored via secure cloud, accessible and editable via web or mobile, and can be shared with others while setting desired permissions. I prefer to share docs with comment only permission so I control what is actually written and edited, but others are allowed to share their feedback and essentially require my approval. Also, working in a document simultaneously with someone else is amazingly convenient as each part can see each others actions in real time.
- Controlled permissions of who can view, comment on, or edit all my documents and files.
- Ability to store ANY file type and access almost anything via mobile as well.
- Ability to compose new documents or spreadsheets and export as .docx, .pdf, .xlsx etc.
- Very reasonable rates for paid storage above the free 15gb. I use the 100gb plan for my business.
- I used to have trouble with pasting from other sources and the format getting messed up until I learned Ctrl + Shift + V to paste without formatting. This has made a big difference knowing this.
- Google Drive desktop app seems to lose connectivity or even close itself frequently without notifying me. I find myself often closing and reopening it to continue sync.
- Sometimes files fail to sync but do not provide a reason why. Sometimes they seem to never sync but other times sync when trying again so the reason remain unknown.
- The ROI comes in time saved more so than calculated expense/revenue. It is really the opportunity cost I am saving of how much time I would be spending without all the benefits my business has gained from Google Drive.
- I actually keep track of my basic accounting inside a Google Sheet so I can always access the current version and make changes.
- I also keep track of customers/leads inside a Google Sheet in addition to a separate CRM.
- Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, Copy and MediaFire
Having the ability to create, edit, and collaborate in a real time environment is hands down what set Google Drive above all the competitors for my business. I have stored files in Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, Copy, and even MediaFire. Once I was set on Google Drive, I increased my storage plan and migrated all files into one source and it has been so efficient!
Google Drive is great for storing and sharing files of any type and accessing them across multiple devices. Personally, I think the power of Google Docs and Sheets adds amazing collaborative abilities and this is where the greatest value is achieved in using Google Drive for teams and especially anyone using it for business.
Google Drive Feature Ratings
Evaluating Google Drive and Competitors
Yes - I had files stored across many different cloud platforms but DropBox was my primary previously. I saw they partnered with Microsoft, adding the ability to edit documents but I did not like the interface as much. I loved Google Docs/Sheets but disliked that it was stuck in a Google file format... or so I thought. As soon as I realized I could save/export the file as .docx/.xlsx/.pdf I knew this was all I needed.
- Product Features
- Product Usability
The single factor that sold me was the real-time environment for collaborating on documents. Seeing each active user inside the document highlight by a different color is great. Actually seeing where their cursor is and watching characters appear as they type... this kind of collaboration is amazing to me and I would never change to another product unless it offered the same at a minimum.
Honestly, if all you need it for is file storage then I could compare Drive, Dropbox, and Box for who has the best price. Each has a mobile app that accesses all your files quite easily. However, if you are looking for collaboration with editing permissions, I don't think there is any reason to consider anything but Google Drive in my opinion.