Skip to main content
Expensify

Expensify

What is Expensify?

Expensify automates the entire spend management process. Scan receipts, track mileage, submit and approve expenses, manage corporate cards, reimburse employees, pay bills, send invoices, and book travel. Built for individuals and companies of all sizes, anywhere in the world.

Highly Recommend!

February 22, 2024
Incentivized
I use Expensify to manage my expenses, primarily travel, client entertainment, subscriptions, etc. I've worked in sales / business …

TrustRadius Insights

Expensify is a versatile expense management software that solves the problem of tracking and managing employee corporate expenses. Users …

• Employee Expense Reporting (5)
  • Advanced OCR (5)
    6.6
  • Customizable Approval Policies (5)
    6.2

Collect

$5

per month per user

Control

$9

per month per user

For the latest information on pricing, visithttp://use.expensify.com/pricing

• Premium Consulting/Integration Services

Expense management features

5.7
Avg 7.9

Payment Management

Features that allow for the management of payments across various forms of finance/accounting software.

6.2
Avg 7.8

What is Expensify?

Expensify helps users to save time on expense management whether they are self-employed, starting a small business, scaling a startup, or managing a global enterprise company.

Here are just a handful of its capabilities:

• Scan receipts - a photo can be snapped of any physical receipt and Expensify's SmartScan technology transcribes the details. Digital receipts can be forwarded to receipts@expensify.com or an integration can be used for automatic scanning.
  • Mileage tracking - log trips in miles or kilometers for tax purposes or for reimbursement.
  • Import cards - corporate cards can be synced with Expensify for full visibility into company spend, automatic receipt matching, and reconciliation.
  • Expensify Card - the Expensify company credit card offers up to 2% cash back, 50% off your Expensify bill, realtime alerts, spend limits, admin controls, and more.
  • Submit expenses - expense rules can be set to code everything automatically, and reports can be scheduled to submit on a custom cadence.
  • Approve reports - one or more layers of approval can be set up and Guided Review enables users to focus on risky or outlier expenses.
  • Employee reimbursement - teams can be paid in as little as one business day, across town or around the world.
  • Bill payment - capture details from vendor bills for automatic approval and payment.
  • Invoicing - create and send invoices, collect payments, and sync with accounting software.
  • Travel booking - book flights, hotels, and cars in a simple chat with Concierge.
  • Accounting sync - major accounting packages including QuickBooks, NetSuite, Sage, and Xero can be connected.

Expensify Features

• Supported: Advanced OCR
  • Supported: Electronic Funds Transfer
  • Supported: PCI Compliant Security Measures

Expensify Screenshots

Screenshot of the Expensify financial management app for expenses and corporate cards.Screenshot of The Expensify Card, which offers up to 2% cash back and 50% off the monthly Expensify bill. It includes realtime alerts, spend limits, and auto-reconciliation.

Expensify Video

Expensify mobile app demo

Expensify Competitors

Expensify Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based
Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Mobile Web

Expensify starts at $0.

Microsoft Excel, SAP Concur, and Brex are common alternatives for Expensify.

Reviewers rate Employee Expense Reporting highest, with a score of 7.4.

The most common users of Expensify are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees).

Attribute Ratings

Incentivized
Expensify is miles ahead of SAP Concur. Expensify is easier to use to track expenses, track reimbursements, and where it shines the most over SAP Concur is for filling in expenses. The mobile version of SAP Concur is terrible. In Expensify, I can take a picture of my receipt and it will SmartScan it. If I want to do it manually, I can usually fill out all the details my company needs in about 30 seconds.

The other feature I deeply love is the Uber integration. When I select a ride for Business, it automatically appears in my currently open Expensify report. I don't have to do any manual receipt uploading which is amazing.

When I used Concur at a previous employer, I would dread filling expense reports. With Expensify, it's no longer a nuisance.
Expensify did not meet our needs overall, the receipt scanning/uploading function was buggy and that was a core component of what we need for our travelling team. We tried Sage's AutoEntry since and that worked very well, but Sage didn't have the level of inventory management, timesheet capability, and client/project expense allocation and reporting features that we wanted in an all-in-one solution. We've since moved to QuickBooks Online just a few weeks ago, though we've had a good experience so far.
Evan Wade | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used Expensify first mainly because these other solutions were either brand new or didn't exist at the time. We switched from Expensify to Divvy in late 2021, and could not be happier with them. I'd recommend all small business owners check them out if they need a corporate card and/or expense management platform with great customer service - and it's free!
I've used NetSuite to reimburse employees for expense reports and other manual processes, i.e., spreadsheets or printed reports with paper receipts stapled. I didn't select Expensify as our solution, but it seems good enough.
Incentivized
I find Expensify easier to use than Avaza and Concur. With Expensify I like the user interface, and you only need to click on expenses or start a new report and you can start adding expenses. Avaza is more of a timesheet tool, where you select projects you are working on and enter hours. You can submit hours on Expensify and don't need to make as many selections, although Avaza allows administrators to add more details. I like Concur because it allows you to book travel as well, and I like the interface but from my understanding, it is more expensive.
Incentivized
I prefer Expensify to Concur because Expensify is so easy to use. Uploading receipts to the Expensify mobile app is extremely simple. Concur is more complicated, but that might be because of how my company configured our Concur instance (I often have difficulty coding/categorizing expenses with Concur).
Incentivized
I did not like Concur compared to Expensify. They may have made improvements since I used it over 4 years ago but it was very difficult to import reports into Oracle and we had to a manual upload. It was also not very user friendly compared to Expensify and employees and admins had a lot of questions.
Incentivized
Both were very similar. I will say the one difference is that as far as hitting "submit" on your expense in Concur, it seems a bit more intuitive to know that you have submitted for reimbursement. I also had a mobile app where I have not downloaded the mobile app for Expensify, and I loved Concur's mobile app.
Vivian Okere | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
The only alternative is Concur, but I like Expensify better. The biggest reason is how quickly I'm able to include receipts within Expensify. There is an automated method and a manual method that I'm able to toggle between which makes it efficient. From what I remember, there wasn't a smart receipt reader embedded in the Concur Expense instance.
Kelsie Hamilton | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
Sadly, before Expensify, we weren't using anything!! We were submitting credit card statements, physical receipts, etc. Again, for those staff members like myself who travel internationally, doing our expense reports could easily take an entire day! Not a great use of time. When we started to look into programs, it was pretty clear Expensify was highly recommended so we chose this one.
Incentivized
The big difference between Expensify and Concur was the price. Concur was very expensive. Acumatic is something we use in-house, but Expensify saves us a lot of time and the interface is much better. Expensify just plain works and everyone loves it. We receive no complaints about it, and rarely have to reach out to support.