Online Proofing Software
These products won a Top Rated award for having excellent customer satisfaction ratings. The list is based purely on reviews; there is no paid placement, and analyst opinions do not influence the rankings. Read more about the Top Rated criteria.
Wrike is a project management and collaboration software. This solution connects tasks, discussions, and emails to the user’s project plan. Wrike is optimized for agile workflows and aims to help resolve data silos, poor visibility into work status, and missed deadlines and project…
Asana is a web and mobile project management app. With tasks, projects, conversations, and dashboards, Asana lets an entire team know who's doing what by when, enabling workload balancing. Users can also add integrations for GANTT charts, time tracking and more.
ProofHub is a SaaS based project management software from ProofHub LLC in Walnut, CA. It is an online project management and collaboration tool that comes with integrated Group chat, quick Discussions on projects, Workflows and boards, Project reports, among other features. Document…
Filestage is an online workspace to share, review and approve videos, audios, documents and designs with clients and co-workers, from the company of the same name in Stuttgart. The platform is tailored to the needs of advertising, design, film, sound, media and creative professionals.…
KROCK is designed to help users manage creative projects effectively and painlessly. Krock offers tools for creative teams to manageme the review and approval process:build project pipelinesassigns teammates for different tasks within different projectscreate storyboardsshare different…
GoProof brings all creative media collaboration into one central place so you don't have to use a ton of different systems and workflows just to get approval, with collaboration tools for document and video creative work, all managed in what is offered by the vendor as a user-friendly…
GoVisually is a collaboration tool that aims to allow graphic designers to quickly get feedback from their peers. It allows collaborators to leave annotations and comments. It also has some features for managing projects and revisions.
PageProof is an online proofing tool designed to streamline the review and approval process, from the company of the same name in Auckland.
What is Online Proofing Software?
Online proofing software allows users to upload various file types and provide feedback on them by marking up the content assets. Some tools may only allow users to upload specific file types, such as a PDF, JPEG, or PNG. However, online proofing tools that are designed for use by larger teams typically allow users to upload a wide range of file types. These file formats may include:
- audio and video files
This type of software is commonly used by marketing teams, designers, content or creative teams, and freelancers working in the creative industry. The primary use case for this type of software is to provide feedback on and approve content assets and marketing collateral before they are published.
Project management tools like Wrike, Workfront, and Asana also often include a set of online proofing capabilities. Although, larger project management or project portfolio management software may not be the right choice for smaller teams, or teams looking for a stand-alone online proofing software tool.
Online Proofing Software Features
Some smaller stand-alone online proofing tools may only provide users with the ability to mark up specific file types. But more comprehensive online proofing software products typically include more features, including the following:
- Uploading multiple different file types (e.g. documents, images, video)
- Markup tools (e.g. highlighting, shapes, pixel measurements, etc.)
- Commenting and annotations on files
- Version management and control
- Side-by-side version comparison
- Folder system or file taxonomy tagging
- File sharing
- Real-time collaborative commenting on files
- Automated approval workflows
- Approval templates
- Project templates
- File storage
- Mobile applications
- Integrations with third-party software
Online Proofing Software Comparison
Before deciding to purchase an online proofing software, consider the following key points:
- Scope of the software: There’s a big difference between online proofing tools that are designed for larger teams and smaller products that focus on serving the needs of small teams and freelancers. Products designed for smaller teams may not allow users to upload as many file types, may not have the real-time collaboration features, and typically do not offer workflow automation capabilities. Simpler tools that are freelancer-friendly may also not offer as many (or any) integrations with other popular project management or creative software like the Adobe Creative suite of products. Deciding what level of tool you and your team need before purchasing is a critical first step.
- Stand-alone tool vs. PM suite: Another thing to keep in mind while shopping for online proofing software is that both online proofing tools and project management software have these capabilities. The important question is, are you looking for a stand-alone online proofing tool or a larger project management suite that includes these capabilities? A larger project management platform will be more expensive than a tool that only does online proofing. This may be an added benefit for some businesses and overkill for others.
Pricing for online proofing point solutions can vary depending on the amount of storage required, the number of users, and the number of advanced features included. Most vendors offer a free trial of their product, which typically lasts for 14 days. Different plans may charge either per month per user, or simply per month and allow a set number of users. Billing is typically monthly or annual.
Starter plans can range from $9 per user per month up to $90 per month for a set number of users. Mid-tier plans can cost between $20 per user per month up to $200 per month for a set number of users. Some vendors offer enterprise-level plans with custom pricing.
Larger project management software suites are typically more expensive than point solutions like online proofing tools. See the project management software page for a more comprehensive breakdown of pricing.
The following Online Proofing Software offer award-winning customer relationships, feature sets, and value for price. Learn more about our Best Of Awards methodology here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Two of the main benefits of using online proofing software are:
- Having a centralized place to provide feedback on content assets and other file types
- Cutting down on the time-consuming feedback back-and-forth between designers or copywriters and marketers.