Reviews (1-25 of 291)
- Implementation - we sell a wide range of products, so getting items set up was a big deal.
- Supports our ERP system.
- Allows us to to track entities and certificates with CertCapture.
- Without Avalara, our accounting department would have to be bigger.
- While tax calculation is a must, their is a time cost when we must query Avalara's system for the tax information. During parts of the day, especially EOD can be slow, relatively.
- Their growth sometimes has exceeded their systems for a period. They do scale quickly.
- ERP: GP 2015R2, GP 2018R2/R3
- Web Presence: BigCommerce
- Files returns accurately.
- Calculates tax accurately.
- Stays on top of all changes in sales tax rates.
- Responds quickly to support cases.
- Highlights new areas where we may be subject to tax.
- AvaTax integrations with outside software could be improved. Mainly insight into how the integration is built and how Avalara's team communicates with Partners.
I would use Avalara for any of my clients, but it may be less applicable if you are an annual filer in one state for very few transactions.
However, making changes, updates or getting new features is not easy. I am currently working through this issue. Now. Avalara has been great to work with on their side. However, it takes both parties to come to the table to get resolution with an API based app integration.
- State returns
- Calculating tax
- Tracking all our transactions
- Calculating for shipping to address changes
- Updating sales tax if there is a change to the reciept.
- Amount of time it takes for the tax returns to update for any corrected transactions
- ecommerce. Celerant
The ease of approving the tax returns is wonderful.
I would just like to have one screen where all the monthly reports load and I download the reports from that screen.
- Transaction reviews.
- Accurate returns.
- Timely returns.
- Support - can’t talk to anyone who isn’t overseas. Terrible connection.
- Support - when instruction sheets are emailed, they rarely match with what’s seen on the screen.
- Integrated ERP software
- Easy to file returns.
- Great customer service from account managers.
- Good tax information on each state.
- Assistance with audit between returns and what is owed.
- SaaS product information on Exemptions build within the platform.
- Update on your how to do steps for users. Many are out of date, when attempting to use.
- We have integrated NetSuite.
Could not be very appropriate if your business is focused on a very specific location and your taxes are not very complex.
- ERP Software
- ERP Software - ECI Solutions
- The depth of knowledge of the tax laws and implementation into the software.
- Timely processing of returns
- Responsive Customer Service
- At times we have down time between the connection of Avalara and our ERP which is a loss in time or incorrect invoicing.
- Cert Capture - Validation of certificates should be able to validate with each state
- Proactively let us know about things like Tiered Tax laws or unusual taxation based on settings between Avalara and our ERP instead of the customer having to drill in and determine those when customers question.
Less appropriate if only delivering to one area. But I can't really think of a situation where this product would not simplify life for the Accounting Department.
- Integrated with Epicor ERP
- Want to integrate with R2 rental software
- Monitoring Sales Tax Nexus
- Calculating Accurate Sales Tax
- Providing Reporting for Ease of Remitting Taxes to Various Jurisdictions
- Speed - sometimes the calculation call-outs can take several seconds
- Monitoring # of transactions versus just $ of transactions for economic nexus
- Quickbooks Enterprise Desktop
- ERP P21
- CRM White Cup
- Tax Filings
- Organized information
- Very helpful staff that answers all questions in a timely manner
- Educating people new to the tax world
- Giving more information on registering to collect tax in more states
- Making auto withdrawal of funds easier to update
- ERP Software
- Good help desk support
- Website Resource center: For example state sales tax rates and info is really helpful. Would be nice if there is indication when info was last updated.
- Website: A section for Hot topics, "What's new", or updates on State's regulation, etc.
- Avalara maintains tax % level by county and even by city zone more accurate than we expected.
- Avalara provides excellent customer support when questions arises.
- Avalara Cert Captures streamlines the capture of customer tax certificates efficiently.
- Avalara Customer Support sometimes takes 30 minutes to reply. I get they are too busy, but I normally send the Q and just get to do some other things in between.
- Changes to the Websites are too drastically from the latest version to the previous one. A video explaining the changes would be handy for us, customers, to understand the changes.
- Our ERP, Epicor 10, integrates with Avalara for Tax Calcualtions for Sales
- Tax calculation based on ship-to address.
- Application of exempt certificates.
- Making it easier when setting up jurisdictions.
- Sometimes, it's not intuitive when you are looking for something.
- Quicker response when you encounter an issue.
- They calculate sales transactions correctly.
- We have an account manager that keeps up well with our account and makes good suggestions.
- They have an easy to understand and use website.
- They have good reporting.
- It is hard to get someone to answer questions on support cases submitted in a timely manner.
- It is hard to get answer in a timely manner for tax notices.
- Some questions are by email and person never answers back.
- Phone support is good but email support takes a long time.
- Woo Commerce
- Big Commerce in Development Stage
- Time savings.
- Storage of documents.
- Determining taxability of transaction.
- On-Boarding was lacking for implementation.
- Transparency in pricing.
- Determining document storage and exemption not clearly explained at time of onboarding.
- Cloud Suite
- Web UI
- Great customer support.
- Ecommerce extension is awesome.
- Provides a lot of analysis on our sales tax position by state.
- Returns filing is very convenient.
- Our account manager changed and we had some issues with an open quote.
- Difficult to change thresholds mid year.
If there are no taxable sales, this probably not a needed product.
- Ecommerce - Magento
- Ecommerce - Shopify
- Miscrosoft Business Central
- Accurately calculates sales tax and communicates that with our ERP system.
- Tracks our sales tax certificates.
- Looks for other jurisdictions we have increased sales in where we now must collect sales tax.
- Add warnings when thresholds are close in jurisdiction.
- SAGE 100
- Seamless tax addition to documents without having to do anything.
- The tax rates automatically update when new laws are passed.
- Salespeople can look up accurate tax rates by address very easily for our quotes.
- I have confidence in their customer service when I have a problem
- I like to be able to drill down to the actual combination state, fed, and special tax rates that were on an order
- My account representative checks in annually to discuss my changing needs.
- The option of showing a window with tax rate details, without having to drill down, would be helpful.
- Adding some reports into the GP framework would be nice
I have never had a problem reaching someone at Avalara when I have a question about my service or about my account. It is nice to have trusted source to turn to when I have a question on a topic as complicated as sales and use taxes.
- Dynamic GP
- If you have to submit sales tax in California, then you will love Avalara AvaTax! It keeps all the tax divisions in the right divisions separate.
- The liability worksheet makes it easy to check the amounts to be submitted, which you approve prior to submittal.
- Avalara AvaTax keeps you in control of the sales and use tax, which saves you time and stress.
- The training on the system could be much better. We only use the system once a quarter, so it difficult to remember something you only use in that time frame.
- Better help with the committed items, as sometimes they do not commit.
- Make the system reminders for the liability worksheet pertain only to your client's time-frame. We are quarterly, so please don't send us a reminder every month, it's confusing, especially when we are new to your system.
Avalara Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
What is Avalara?
Avalara aims to help businesses get tax compliance right. Avalara customers can manage tax obligations from state, local, and other tax authorities around the world through the platform. Avalara states that the value proposition for users is that its tool provide efficient and more accurate solutions for managing those requirements.
The Avalara Tax Compliance Suite — Avalara AvaTax, Avalara Returns, and Avalara CertCapture — offers solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and others. Through the suite, users can calculate taxes, file and remit returns, and comply with document management requirements. More than 700 integrations are available for accounting systems, ERP and CRM providers, ecommerce platforms, and more. The company also offers Professional Services including Tax Advisory Services, Implementation Services, Managed Services, and Support Plans and Training to help customers prepare for and achieve compliance.
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Does not have featureFree or Freemium Version Available?No
- Has featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?Yes
- Entry-level set up fee?No
Avalara Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Avalara Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Mobile Web|