Reviews (1-25 of 207)
- Helps with returns
- Files our returns
- Helpful Customer Account Managers
- Customer Support has been lacking.
- Response time to cases lately has been too long.
- Retaining and communicating when account managers are reassigned.
- Seamless tax addition to documents without having to do anything.
- The tax rates automatically update when new laws are passed.
- Salespeople can look up accurate tax rates by address very easily for our quotes.
- The option of showing a window with tax rate details, without having to drill down, would be helpful.
- Keeps tax rates up to date
- Reports are very concise and easy to read
- They keep up well on rate changes
- More person to person support contact rather than "watch this webinar"
- Eliminate the rounding problems
- Dynamic acquisition and application of address-based tax rates
- Tax filing per the current tax laws and regulations
- Provide necessary data for monthly reconciliations
- Support center often has long phone queues. It can be frustrating when you need immediate assistance
- System gets bogged down around the time for approvals
- User friendly
- Modern UI
- Great customer service
- Keeps my team updated on changes in the tax world
- Integration with certain ERP systems
- Meeting the needs of large corporations with Avatax
- A tax calculator / transaction tester would be nice
- Calculations of tax
- Returns filed timely
- Knowledgeable people
- Grow a customer service team that answers phone calls
- When customer calls and leaves their phone number for a call back...have someone call
- If customer service phone call gets strangely disconnected, call the customer back especially since the Avalara representative asks for a call back # in case of a disconnect.
- The tax has automatically calculated the instance that invoice is generated.
- The sales tax rates are maintained on Avalara's side. Whenever there's a sales tax rate change for any jurisdiction, Avalara will update the rate.
- The User Interface is very user-friendly. Reports can be constructed and filtered in many ways (by state, by types of documents, etc.)
- Avalara doesn't have the ability to tax multiple jurisdictions if you have one invoice line item but have a quantity of more than 1. This is relevant for when you have 100 software licenses and these licenses are used throughout multiple jurisdictions.
- Avalara needs to find a solution to handle and remit use tax that is not manual-intensive work.
- It sometimes takes a while to connect to chat support when you try to get support during peak hours.
- If there is a question about the tax on an invoice, it is easy to check the transaction and each jurisdiction of the tax.
- It is easy to download reports to reconcile at the end of the month.
- Anything can be downloaded to analyze the data.
- When an invoice has been voided it is a little cumbersome to pull up. It would be great to see this along with the original invoice.
- Make it easier to discuss problems instead of having to always go to the Account Rep.
- Sometimes reports do not match the return. Having a discrepancy report or a way to identify them would be great.
- The new upgrade makes it more difficult to find previous transactions.
- The interface for CertCapture is fairly easy to use. Everything is more or less self explanatory and easy to navigate. Anything process wise that may be difficult at first is shown step by step in the "walk me through" guide.
- Changes to accounts are easy to see and follow. We deal with a lot of timing issues between account changes and invoices. This allows us to see if the account was changed before or after an invoice was created.
- Reporting of what documents are in the system, and who has them is quick and easy. We are constantly using the CertCapture reporting to clean up our ERP System.
- There certificate management needs to have a better understanding of state laws and how each exemption certificate relates to it.
We currently utilize AvaTax and CertCapture. We are still doing our own returns.
- The system works okay. It helps us manage rate tables and customers with multiple jurisdictions.
- TERRIBLE and SLOW customer service. In fact, the worst I've ever experienced. It takes over a week to get a response unless you call-in, wait over an hour and get lucky with a knowledgeable rep. They love to pass the buck and point you to Avarala Help articles that are unrelated or not particularly useful.
- Implementation - We went with their "guided implementation" to cut costs as we have a strong IT team and a lot of great internal and experienced resources. They were not helpful at all. No engagement (we had to reach out to them multiple times to get things moving), no project plan, limited guidance, slow responses and flat-out wrong recommendations. They gave us incorrect configuration information, and their data upload is downright antiquated. We had to CSV upload our customers (oh yeah, they don't know how to bulk upload data). We figured out a way to do it, but they also don't tell you any null values will delete those fields of data, so you get to do it all over again.
- We then had to manually associate every single certificate for existing customers. We had to go through 3 reps and implementation types to properly handle marketplace facilitators (hint: setup an exempt customers in CertCapture like Amazon FBA/FBM, flow marketplace transactions through those customers, then create tax exemptions for each state that marketplace collects/remits on your behalf). We went live with lots of issues, and we're still working through several of them months later.
- Their NetSuite integration is okay - but weak at best. Not intuitive at all. Permissions are a headache and we had to open a ticket to request they actually connect CertCapture correctly. All state liabilities also post to a single tax GL. If you want to report by state this is a challenge to reclass and reconcile.
- Their reporting is mediocre at best . The reports they provide don't actually provide enough data to file your reports, likely because they want you to utilize their services and pay the $50/per filing for them to file on your behalf. If you have budget and you're not a small business, this would probably be fine.
- UI - their User Interface is really pretty antiquated and frustrating to work with. Instead of having a single place to login and manage your account, there's an AvaTax login, there's an Avalara Admin login, there's a CertCapture login, and you have to handle them all separately. Many aspects just aren't super intuitive, and their Help isn't all that helpful. For instance, you can create a template cover letter to email to customers for exemption certificate requests, but you can't set it as a default form - unless you delete their default form and rename it (it took them 2 weeks to figure that one out).
- Takes away the hassle of filing sales tax returns
- Provides useful reports
- Easy to access E-commerce transactions
- The account manager can be more helpful. Our new account manager still hasn't replied to our email requesting a link to her calendar to schedule a meeting after two follow up emails. She was not at the Crush conference either. We didn't get a chance to talk to her after she became our account manager.
- The billing department can do better. We just got an invoice in May for overages in January.
- Great at address level tax calculations.
- Simple and easy to use interface.
- Easy connection to ERPs.
- The options of “sellers use or sales tax” and “sales tax only” when selecting nexus states on AvaTax. I believe the process of selecting what tax type a client has needs to be more fleshed out. The consequences of selecting incorrectly could be major. Examples or a more detailed description of what selecting one or the other means for each state would be really helpful. I selected the “sellers use or sales tax” option for Iowa on a client’s set up and it missed an additional 1% local tax on a transaction as a result, which ended up not collecting an additional $3K in sales tax on an invoice. Each state defines one or the other differently, and it is important to know which option does what. It’s not as easy as knowing what type of tax the client has in the state in situations when that may not be apparent (such as new registrations when the tax type is not defined yet, but as a consultant, you know how the tax will be collected).
- Documentation for clients such as a users guide, implementation manual for a company’s ERP that details what has changed on a client’s interface system, process diagrams on how everything connects, etc. Some of this is found on the online help, but some clients want actual documentation.
- Support and guidance on CertCapture.
- Support and guidance on proxy installations. A client was given a proxy installed on their NetSuite that allowed customer information to be passed to CertCapture. It was installed and no guidance was given on how to use it, even after requesting.
- Better support for clients with special requests. We requested phone time with NetSuite specialist from Avalara and AvaTax specialist in order to discuss some open questions the client had.
- Tax calculations with the Avalara AvaTax API system returns pretty accurate taxation results.
- AvaTax website is easy to navigate.
- Avalara's blog provides valuable tax information regarding rate changes and tax holidays or changing tax rules.
- When paired with our POS system, which does not utilize an API but utilizes an Avalara-designed static rate file, tax results are often inaccurate, resulting at times in significant tax undercollection.
- Reports are hard to use when the same data is on multiple lines for multiple jurisdictions.
- Website often is slow in looking up transaction details.
- Customer support on the product/technical side leaves much to be desired. Poor communication, unresolved issues but tickets are closed anyway, and often, unhelpful "contact your rep" or "we don't support that" types of answers.
- Accurate calc of taxes. The tax rate is determined by a combination of the tax code of the item being invoiced, as well as the ship to address.
- Files returns so that I never again have to file a state sales tax return
- File VDAs for me
- Our EPicor ERP system combined with Avalara allows us to easily do Use Tax during the AP Invoice Processing - much easier than the old way of writing on invoices.
- A little slow in VDAs, due to being overwhelmed with volume
- Backdated transactions are not always included in the appropriate return, and it is hard to find them.
- I have had trouble reconciling my monthly transactions since they include monthly/quarterly/annual returns and some have prepayments and carryover credits. Better training and templates on reconciliation would be nice.
- Run customer and certificate reports
- Store customer and certificate data
- Provide links to helpful info on how to use the system
- The CertExpress customer interface is limited in its capabilities and confusing to customers.
- There is no way to specify if address info is Bill To or Ship to when it is entered into CertCapture.
- The Chat feature in all programs has extremely long wait times and rarely provides answers.
- The Nexus Alert feature in Avatax does not take into account any transactions that are not passed through Avalara.
- Customers are not automatically notified by email when certificates are validated.
- Email campaigns from CertCapture stall in process and have to be resent.
- Calculate tax
- Address validation
- API response time
- Support response time is bad. Does not meet SLA.
- Support response quality is bad. It usually takes a few times to get the answer I want.
- API sometimes goes down.
- Avatax provides up to minute tax solutions to charge customers accurately.
- The sales tax can be pinpointed down to exact address.
- Allows us to remain compliant and up to date.
- Recently used registration service and felt we could have been walked through the status of state registration.
- I have not run into any other concerns.
Avalara Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Avalara aims to help businesses get tax compliance right. Avalara customers can manage tax obligations from state, local, and other tax authorities around the world through the platform. Avalara states that the value proposition for users is that its tool provide efficient and more accurate solutions for managing those requirements.
The Avalara Tax Compliance Suite — Avalara AvaTax, Avalara Returns, and Avalara CertCapture — offers solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and others. Through the suite, users can calculate taxes, file and remit returns, and comply with document management requirements. More than 700 integrations are available for accounting systems, ERP and CRM providers, ecommerce platforms, and more. The company also offers Professional Services including Tax Advisory Services, Implementation Services, Managed Services, and Support Plans and Training to help customers prepare for and achieve compliance.
Avalara Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Avalara Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Mobile Web|