Reviews (1-25 of 215)
- Storing arena for Resale Tax Exemption Certificates.
- The need to hit Refresh several times throughout the process to upload a new cert can be tiresome, and on occasion we have to wait a long time for it to show up during one of those refreshes.
- Campaigns can be clunky; not always notified which dealer accounts didn't get their email delivered, and sometimes dealers find the format to appear to be SPAM and so they do not complete it.
- Providing accurate tax rates across differing jurisdictions.
- Providing accurate tax answers.
- Providing tailored answers for the construction industry (tax compliance for the construction industry is immensely complex).
We also need help managing International Sales, so, not sure how well versed Avalara is with that.
- Seamless tax addition to documents without having to do anything.
- The tax rates automatically update when new laws are passed.
- Salespeople can look up accurate tax rates by address very easily for our quotes.
- The option of showing a window with tax rate details, without having to drill down, would be helpful.
- My account rep (Tosca) has been excellent in dealing with any issues I many have.
- Sales tax filings are timely.
- It's easy to track and obtain copies of filings.
- There are a ton of helpful reports.
- For Amazon manual transaction upload, it would be great if there was an automatic way to pull the Amazon report and upload rather than reformat.
- The tax has automatically calculated the instance that invoice is generated.
- The sales tax rates are maintained on Avalara's side. Whenever there's a sales tax rate change for any jurisdiction, Avalara will update the rate.
- The User Interface is very user-friendly. Reports can be constructed and filtered in many ways (by state, by types of documents, etc.)
- Avalara doesn't have the ability to tax multiple jurisdictions if you have one invoice line item but have a quantity of more than 1. This is relevant for when you have 100 software licenses and these licenses are used throughout multiple jurisdictions.
- Avalara needs to find a solution to handle and remit use tax that is not manual-intensive work.
- It sometimes takes a while to connect to chat support when you try to get support during peak hours.
- If there is a question about the tax on an invoice, it is easy to check the transaction and each jurisdiction of the tax.
- It is easy to download reports to reconcile at the end of the month.
- Anything can be downloaded to analyze the data.
- When an invoice has been voided it is a little cumbersome to pull up. It would be great to see this along with the original invoice.
- Make it easier to discuss problems instead of having to always go to the Account Rep.
- Sometimes reports do not match the return. Having a discrepancy report or a way to identify them would be great.
- The new upgrade makes it more difficult to find previous transactions.
- The interface for CertCapture is fairly easy to use. Everything is more or less self explanatory and easy to navigate. Anything process wise that may be difficult at first is shown step by step in the "walk me through" guide.
- Changes to accounts are easy to see and follow. We deal with a lot of timing issues between account changes and invoices. This allows us to see if the account was changed before or after an invoice was created.
- Reporting of what documents are in the system, and who has them is quick and easy. We are constantly using the CertCapture reporting to clean up our ERP System.
- There certificate management needs to have a better understanding of state laws and how each exemption certificate relates to it.
We currently utilize AvaTax and CertCapture. We are still doing our own returns.
- The system works okay. It helps us manage rate tables and customers with multiple jurisdictions.
- TERRIBLE and SLOW customer service. In fact, the worst I've ever experienced. It takes over a week to get a response unless you call-in, wait over an hour and get lucky with a knowledgeable rep. They love to pass the buck and point you to Avarala Help articles that are unrelated or not particularly useful.
- Implementation - We went with their "guided implementation" to cut costs as we have a strong IT team and a lot of great internal and experienced resources. They were not helpful at all. No engagement (we had to reach out to them multiple times to get things moving), no project plan, limited guidance, slow responses and flat-out wrong recommendations. They gave us incorrect configuration information, and their data upload is downright antiquated. We had to CSV upload our customers (oh yeah, they don't know how to bulk upload data). We figured out a way to do it, but they also don't tell you any null values will delete those fields of data, so you get to do it all over again.
- We then had to manually associate every single certificate for existing customers. We had to go through 3 reps and implementation types to properly handle marketplace facilitators (hint: setup an exempt customers in CertCapture like Amazon FBA/FBM, flow marketplace transactions through those customers, then create tax exemptions for each state that marketplace collects/remits on your behalf). We went live with lots of issues, and we're still working through several of them months later.
- Their NetSuite integration is okay - but weak at best. Not intuitive at all. Permissions are a headache and we had to open a ticket to request they actually connect CertCapture correctly. All state liabilities also post to a single tax GL. If you want to report by state this is a challenge to reclass and reconcile.
- Their reporting is mediocre at best . The reports they provide don't actually provide enough data to file your reports, likely because they want you to utilize their services and pay the $50/per filing for them to file on your behalf. If you have budget and you're not a small business, this would probably be fine.
- UI - their User Interface is really pretty antiquated and frustrating to work with. Instead of having a single place to login and manage your account, there's an AvaTax login, there's an Avalara Admin login, there's a CertCapture login, and you have to handle them all separately. Many aspects just aren't super intuitive, and their Help isn't all that helpful. For instance, you can create a template cover letter to email to customers for exemption certificate requests, but you can't set it as a default form - unless you delete their default form and rename it (it took them 2 weeks to figure that one out).
- Helps with returns
- Files our returns
- Helpful Customer Account Managers
- Customer Support has been lacking.
- Response time to cases lately has been too long.
- Retaining and communicating when account managers are reassigned.
The only issue we have occasionally is the local jurisdictions taxes do not calculate properly in Salesforce. When these situations arise, the Avalara tech team and our IT department work together to resolve the issue.
We also have a Canadian entity which calculates the GST/HST and PST on our proposals and invoices. With the Canadian entity, I wish they had tax codes and determined the taxes without us having to do tax codes and tax rules. This is one area I would like to see improved so it would be more automatic like in the US. Overall, we are very happy with Avalara and would recommend it to other companies.
- The respond to notices that are received timely
- The tax calculation appears seamless
- I like having the returns and confirmation of filing saved in archives
- The Canadian tax calculations and filings for GST/HST and PST
- Having the account representative reach out more when new things are available on the admin console or new interface
- Doing one-on-one training through the internet
- Avalara's tax tables are accurate and updated timely across all the states we have a Nexus in.
- Avalara's customer service is top notch, the treatment of customers is far better than any other service-based business I've worked with in the past.
- Avalara integrates with many third-party platforms we use throughout our company, i.e Sage & Shopify.
- The response times from the implementation team was very slow. I understand this is a result of the rapid growth of the company, so knowing that, it did not create hard feelings.
- Keeps tax rates up to date
- Reports are very concise and easy to read
- They keep up well on rate changes
- More person to person support contact rather than "watch this webinar"
- Eliminate the rounding problems
- Dynamic acquisition and application of address-based tax rates
- Tax filing per the current tax laws and regulations
- Provide necessary data for monthly reconciliations
- Support center often has long phone queues. It can be frustrating when you need immediate assistance
- System gets bogged down around the time for approvals
- Rooftop-level tax calculation.
- Partner programs.
- Returns filing.
- Item taxability management.
- Implementation and support could use some updating with their recent expansion.
- Pricing could be better suited for each customer.
- More dedicated partner resources across different departments.
- Avalara updates tax rates timely and accurately.
- It will flag a transaction if you are using the incorrect exemption reason for various states.
- The system breaks down the exact rates and amounts for each line item on the invoice.
- Simplify the integration for certain ERP systems.
- CertCapture often lags.
- I have done a few voluntary disclosure agreements. Jamie Fox did a great job at helping us remit that tax.
- Automatically remitting sales taxes to different governments.
- Reporting and audits are now easier.
- I personally have not had any issues with Avalara.
- Reports are easy to read and export for reconciliation with other systems.
- Support teams are responsive and helpful.
- CertCapture has made managing tax exemption certificates simple.
- I have not experienced any Cons with Avalara at this time.
Avalara Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Avalara aims to help businesses get tax compliance right. Avalara customers can manage tax obligations from state, local, and other tax authorities around the world through the platform. Avalara states that the value proposition for users is that its tool provide efficient and more accurate solutions for managing those requirements.
The Avalara Tax Compliance Suite — Avalara AvaTax, Avalara Returns, and Avalara CertCapture — offers solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and others. Through the suite, users can calculate taxes, file and remit returns, and comply with document management requirements. More than 700 integrations are available for accounting systems, ERP and CRM providers, ecommerce platforms, and more. The company also offers Professional Services including Tax Advisory Services, Implementation Services, Managed Services, and Support Plans and Training to help customers prepare for and achieve compliance.
- Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No
- Does not have featureFree or Freemium Version Available?No
- Has featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?Yes
- Entry-level set up fee?No
Avalara Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Avalara Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Mobile Web|