https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/QQ/wg/XPONTGFTCZQA.PNGBrandwatch Listening ReviewBrandwatch is being used by myself and our clients' in house community management and analytics team. I use Brandwatch mainly for social listening requests or reports. We have other tools that can accomplish these asks, however, Brandwatch appears to be the most comprehensive and advanced tool yet that I have had experience using.,Social listening Sentiment Analysis Trend Spotting,Sentiment Analysis could be more accurate Easier Interface to use More explanation on when boolean terms are not applicable,8,Helped create more insightful reports Automated reports from created dashboards Having multiple queries and dashboards organized and editable,1,Sysomos Expion and Spredfast,Sysomos Expion, Spredfast, Sprout SocialBrandwatch: Powerful tool for experienced users with only a few minor drawbacks.It is being used by the Media Department currently. It provides insights into both existing clients and the performance of their campaigns. We use it to measure Share of Voice, Brand Sentiment, and for customer insights on a monthly basis. We also use it as part of a "social audit" we perform for new clients to better acquaint our client on the social landscape and where they stand in it. In addition, we also use it for research for new business development. This enables us to come up with insights into a potential client's business before making a deal, and enables us to know what type of programs would benefit the company the most, based on what's happening in the market.,The breadth of the data it captures is impressive, and you are only limited in the tool by your own knowledge of how to use the system. Therefore, if you know how to create smart, tightly structured queries, how to create smart rules to help save manual search and filing, already have a set of keywords to plug in to your query, and know how to use the more advanced chart visualizations beyond the stock ones they provide, you should be in great shape. The range of historical data, as well as the ability to access it in detail is a definite plus that puts them above competitors if you're looking for long-term historical trends. The visuals are basic, but look nice, and the ability to export most of the graphs and charts is very useful when putting together presentations.,Depending on your prior knowledge, there could be a steep learning curve. Don't get me wrong, their customer service/account management is fantastic-- they take you through an initial training and are happy to answer any questions you have, but it's hard to articulate what you don't know, just starting out, so there's things I'm only learning how to do after a year of using the tool. I like to think of it as a very power shell/big data source. If you know exactly what data you're looking for and already have the necessary keywords to build a query, you can do great things. If not, it will be an uphill struggle at times. Many of its competitors have "quick search" type functions that are great for new business pitches or other situations where you're starting from square 1, while Brandwatch does not in its basic product and offers it as a separate product for additional fee. While the visualizations are serviceable, they are quite basic don't allow flexibility, so many times I end up exporting the data and creating my own in other tools. Intelligence on identifying sentiment is lacking without your own rules, training it, etc. I spend a fair amount of time re-categorizing mis-filed sentiment on posts.,7,It has allowed us to provide valuable social insight to our clients, as well as big picture data visualization and actionable insights. It has armed our sales/biz development team with additional information about potential clients to demonstrate our knowledge of their business and industry to show we're thinking about their overall place in the market, which includes social. It takes time to use a tool that requires so much manual input compared to some competitors where it's a little easier and more automatic, but any minor negative is far outweighed if it's a choice between not having a social listening tool at all and having this. Businesses should at least have this or something comparable to assess their business.,2,Crimson Hexagon ForSight and SynthesioEnterprise Social Listening - Solved!We use it as an agency for other brands in India. The whole organisation uses it, and in fact, most of our enterprise clients use Brandwatch services too. Based on the experience with clients and users of Brandwatch, the best use case of Brandwatch involved peer-benchmarking. Most companies use it to listen to what's happening on the internet about their peers. Why are they being liked or disliked? Bucketing such conversations gives them insights on what to improve on and what to focus more on. Other business problems Brandwatch takes care of include marketing campaign analytics, net sentiment, PR coverage, and brand health.,Brandwatch is great with bulk changes in mentions, which I believe is also a USP as I haven't seen any tool do that (I have checked out many). You can bulk tag, change sentiment, add rules, add categories etc. to mentions. From tagging and rules comes good analysis of mentions. Once categorised, you'd be able to understand what are people taking the most about - in a negative or a positive way. Say a telecom company wants to know why people don't like my services - is it the network, or customer service or something else. Do people from a particular city complaint a lot? Brandwatch also does a good job at capturing a huge amount of mentions from 90M+ websites. That's 2x or 3x more in some cases than the few leading enterprise listening software. It also provides the maximum number of metadata per mention thus giving maximum scope of slicing the data and analysing in different ways.,I feel Brandwatch needs to add more sources with proper API integrations. The integrations are limited to Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. While Twitter gets great coverage, Facebook and Instagram do not (considering the recent policy changes, coverage has been limited). While it does capture 90M+ other sites which include most of the other social media sites such as Youtube, I feel an integration with such sites can get more analytics around usage data such as video viewing times, view growth on Youtube. While they have a lot of insights already, I feel a few word clouds could have been done differently as well, such as word connections. Also, more accurate auto-categorisation of mentions where manual rule adding isn't needed. E-commerce review coverage (Amazon etc.) should be included.,8,I believe most organisations using it for Analysis (buying and consuming) would need to calculate the direct impact Brandwatch can have. If used well, it gives analysis on how to run better campaigns, whom to target, what to improve in an organisation, don't need a lot of first-hand surveys etc. thus saving costs, increasing sales on a few occasions. Thus I feel, as a function of marketing, its tough to calculate the direct ROI, but it does end up saving money and lets you improve your brand health which is like saving a lot of costs later on. As an agency, we use it for other clients, thus witnessing positive ROI.,30,Radian6, Meltwater Media Intelligence Platform, Oracle Social Cloud, Pulsar and Sysomos Expion,Pipedrive, Slack, quintly, MailTrack, Tableau DesktopBrandwatch will help your reporting! Great tool.We utilize Brandwatch to better understand consumer social media conversation across various clients. We have multiple users within the same department, but the information gets shared to many departments in our organization. It helps us inform social and content strategies, as well as, reporting for social campaigns for our social clients. The measurement piece of Brandwatch is a crucial part of our reporting.,The measurement variables it can export and show are a great asset. For example, within an export or dashboard I can see follower count and engagement metrics at post-level, which we have not seen another tool do. Hashtag tracking on Twitter is very robust and especially helpful when running sweeps and counting entries. We love having the option to set what percentage of the Twitter Firehose we want to capture, so we're not limited to the Twitter Decahose.,Capturing data on Instagram can definitely be improved, since we've found some gaps when tracking hashtags. Tracking Instagram is only limited to hashtags, so it would be great if we could also do keyword tracking. It is not the easiest tools to help identify conversation themes quickly. It usually takes a little longer to dig through the data/dashboards/widgets to help land on conversation insights or audience interests.,I would say it has been positive since we've been able to use the tool for various reporting SOWs and tracking campaigns.,8,Crimson Hexagon ForSight, Infegy Atlas and NetBase,NetBase,,8,5,7Brandwatch is certainly the most dynamic and well supported Social Insight platform available todayWe use Brandwatch Analytics as the core technology for our research into conversation around brands and entertainment properties and personalities. This involves utilising Brandwatch Analytics as a platform more than a tool, an option that would not be possible using any other social listening technology.,Highly programmable setup allows for deep categorisation of social and online conversation data. Useful and clear UI that allows easy access to granular reporting. Highly responsive and knowledge support and account management teams. Company is clearly committed to evolving their platform for their clients as well as being responsive to their recommendations.,The UI sometimes struggles with larger categorisation sets but this can be worked around by exporting to Excel and creating your own graphs there.,Our business is hugely dependent on Brandwatch Analytics as it is our core technology and so the ROI is clear. We have been able to work with the Brandwatch Analytics team to develop new solutions built on the platform and they have always provided excellent support.,10,,2,9,9,10,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was minimal,10
Brandwatch

• Sentiment Analysis
  • Trend Spotting
  • Sentiment Analysis could be more accurate
  • Easier Interface to use
  • More explanation on when boolean terms are not applicable
Brandwatch is great for any social listening reports or requests since they have a few options when you can create a query - either an automated query or you can manually do a boolean search. They pull results from blogs, news sites, forums, and all main social media platforms that are not affected as strongly by the API (i.e., Twitter).
Read Kelcey Zacarese's full review
Jarad Matula, MBA profile photo
April 24, 2018

Review: "Brandwatch: Powerful tool for experienced users with only a few minor drawbacks."

• The breadth of the data it captures is impressive, and you are only limited in the tool by your own knowledge of how to use the system. Therefore, if you know how to create smart, tightly structured queries, how to create smart rules to help save manual search and filing, already have a set of keywords to plug in to your query, and know how to use the more advanced chart visualizations beyond the stock ones they provide, you should be in great shape.
  • The range of historical data, as well as the ability to access it in detail is a definite plus that puts them above competitors if you're looking for long-term historical trends.
  • The visuals are basic, but look nice, and the ability to export most of the graphs and charts is very useful when putting together presentations.
  • Depending on your prior knowledge, there could be a steep learning curve. Don't get me wrong, their customer service/account management is fantastic-- they take you through an initial training and are happy to answer any questions you have, but it's hard to articulate what you don't know, just starting out, so there's things I'm only learning how to do after a year of using the tool. I like to think of it as a very power shell/big data source. If you know exactly what data you're looking for and already have the necessary keywords to build a query, you can do great things. If not, it will be an uphill struggle at times.
  • Many of its competitors have "quick search" type functions that are great for new business pitches or other situations where you're starting from square 1, while Brandwatch does not in its basic product and offers it as a separate product for additional fee.
  • While the visualizations are serviceable, they are quite basic don't allow flexibility, so many times I end up exporting the data and creating my own in other tools.
  • Intelligence on identifying sentiment is lacking without your own rules, training it, etc. I spend a fair amount of time re-categorizing mis-filed sentiment on posts.

Brandwatch is a great tool for social listening, especially if you already have experience with query building (using Boolean logic, are familiar with Operators, etc.), but sometimes things feel like they're harder than they need to be. Considering it's one of the most expensive products in its category, I would expect more features and functionality right out of the box, and to be far less DIY. And the product keeps adding new features all the time, so I think they're on the right track and only getting better, but still have some gaps.

If you're using it to monitor your brand's social presence only, or if you're in an agency and using it to monitor existing clients and provide reports to them, then this is a great tool and you're hard-pressed to find something better. But if you're wanting it more for new business and discovery, there are tools that do this much better, including Sysomos and Crimson Hexagon.

Read Jarad Matula, MBA's full review
Ravinshu Saneja profile photo
April 25, 2018

Brandwatch Review: "Enterprise Social Listening - Solved!"

• Brandwatch is great with bulk changes in mentions, which I believe is also a USP as I haven't seen any tool do that (I have checked out many).
  • You can bulk tag, change sentiment, add rules, add categories etc. to mentions.
  • From tagging and rules comes good analysis of mentions. Once categorised, you'd be able to understand what are people taking the most about - in a negative or a positive way. Say a telecom company wants to know why people don't like my services - is it the network, or customer service or something else. Do people from a particular city complaint a lot?
  • Brandwatch also does a good job at capturing a huge amount of mentions from 90M+ websites. That's 2x or 3x more in some cases than the few leading enterprise listening software.
  • It also provides the maximum number of metadata per mention thus giving maximum scope of slicing the data and analysing in different ways.
  • I feel Brandwatch needs to add more sources with proper API integrations. The integrations are limited to Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. While Twitter gets great coverage, Facebook and Instagram do not (considering the recent policy changes, coverage has been limited). While it does capture 90M+ other sites which include most of the other social media sites such as Youtube, I feel an integration with such sites can get more analytics around usage data such as video viewing times, view growth on Youtube.
  • While they have a lot of insights already, I feel a few word clouds could have been done differently as well, such as word connections. Also, more accurate auto-categorisation of mentions where manual rule adding isn't needed.
  • E-commerce review coverage (Amazon etc.) should be included.
In any large enterprise use case of listening to social media, Brandwatch Analytics is very well suited. For any small-medium enterprise trying to listen to social media, just for knowing your social media reach, I feel there exists cheaper tools and to save cost, Brandwatch might not be needed. Brands can upgrade to Brandwatch when they need enterprise level insights from social media mentions. Also, you might not want it if you just want PR tracking.
Read Ravinshu Saneja's full review
March 20, 2017

Review: "Brandwatch will help your reporting! Great tool."

• The measurement variables it can export and show are a great asset. For example, within an export or dashboard I can see follower count and engagement metrics at post-level, which we have not seen another tool do.
  • Hashtag tracking on Twitter is very robust and especially helpful when running sweeps and counting entries.
  • We love having the option to set what percentage of the Twitter Firehose we want to capture, so we're not limited to the Twitter Decahose.
  • Capturing data on Instagram can definitely be improved, since we've found some gaps when tracking hashtags.
  • Tracking Instagram is only limited to hashtags, so it would be great if we could also do keyword tracking.
  • It is not the easiest tools to help identify conversation themes quickly. It usually takes a little longer to dig through the data/dashboards/widgets to help land on conversation insights or audience interests.
Brandwatch is great for report building, capturing post-level data, and tracking hashtags on Twitter. However, an area of opportunity would be to develop widgets that can help analysts get to conversation themes quicker and more efficiently rather than digging through multiple widgets.
Edward James Bass profile photo
December 14, 2015

Review: "Brandwatch is certainly the most dynamic and well supported Social Insight platform available today"

• Highly programmable setup allows for deep categorisation of social and online conversation data.
  • Useful and clear UI that allows easy access to granular reporting.
  • Highly responsive and knowledge support and account management teams.
  • Company is clearly committed to evolving their platform for their clients as well as being responsive to their recommendations.
  • The UI sometimes struggles with larger categorisation sets but this can be worked around by exporting to Excel and creating your own graphs there.
For those looking for more granular and complex insights into social conversation and audience behaviour there is simply no better platform.
Read Edward James Bass's full review
Emma Reid profile photo
December 14, 2015

"Brandwatch - market leading digital intelligence software for strategic insight and foresight."

We use Brandwatch Analytics within our organisation to gather digital intelligence for clients. We use this platform to cleanse, segment and provide context behind the data, allowing for actionable and meaningful insight that provides an understanding of strategic insight and foresight.
  • The gathering of data and use of categories, rules and tags to help to segment large unstructured datasets into structured themes of data that can be analysed through netnographic and qualitative research techniques.
  • The ability to auto create reports on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, allowing us to draw comparisons and track changes in sentiment and behaviour over time.
  • The use of Brandwatch Analytics signals to identify emerging trends, crisis management and conversation spikes, allowing us to work in an agile fashion to respond to changes within the marketplace on a real-time basis.
  • It can be complex to write advanced level queries, for example understanding where the brackets should be placed when writing long and detailed queries.
  • The cleansing of the data is the most time consuming part of data analysis - greater automation in data cleansing would allow for more time for data analysis and comparison of themes and patterns (again this relates to the ability to write good queries to ensure that the correct data is pulled.
  • It may be useful to have an 'auto translate function' as we have been asked recently to analyse data in different languages and we currently do not have these skills in-house.
Brandwatch Analytics is suited to situations where businesses need to understand the context behind digital conversations. It works well with high volumes of data, however there is a need for training and an understanding of the type of information that you are looking to confirm/explore within the data, therefore projects should be planned out and categorised prior to beginning analysis - this can be very time consuming.
Read Emma Reid's full review
Blake Mahaffey profile photo
December 07, 2015

Brandwatch Review: "Hey! We might have half a brand between us after all..."

We are a marketing agency that uses white label Brandwatch Analytics to:

1) Empower our clients with their own data
2) Provide regular reporting on brand presence, market research, and industry analysis

It is our primary product. As far as addressing business problems, it allows us to offer a competitive social media product beyond what most agencies are able to offer.
  • By far, Brandwatch's biggest strength is the ability to customize rules that influence how mentions are tagged and categorized as they enter the system. It allows for in depth categorical and topical analysis that many competing social listening platforms are unable to beat.
  • Brandwatch has a fantastic support team, and implements regular platform updates nearly every month. The platform is generally stable, and any issues are resolved very quickly.
  • Customizable graphs allow analysts to drill deep into data. After two years of 40+ hours a week in brandwatch, I am still finding new ways to drill down.
  • So many Boolean operators! Really helps when trying to get specific and accurate datasets.
  • Being able to collect samples of data (instead of being forced to collect 100%) really helps us stay underneath our datacap.
  • Facebook data is particularly poor. Channels will often break and stop collecting Facebook posts and metrics on owned pages. I would say this happens to about 75% of my channels every two or three months.
  • There aren't ways to filter out criteria beyond keywords while writing boolean queries. This can lead to some serious spam collection from channels like Twitter. While these mentions can later be filtered out through custom rules, it's just another step in the process that can take some time.
  • Doesn't provide information on favorites from Twitter, which has forced us to adopt another third party tool.
  • Longform content analytics is a serious pain. I am not sure if any listening software can get this right.
  • Like all other analytics platforms, the sentiment algorithm is horrible in areas beyond B2C specific products.
I think agencies will find Brandwatch Analytics is a powerful tool, but in house marketers may find its level of complexity challenging and cumbersome. To truly get benefit from Brandwatch, you absolutely need to know the ins-and-outs of the tool. It excels at market research and going beyond brand presence.

In house marketers will probably get more bang for their buck from a competitor like Sysomos, Crimson Hexagon, or Sprinklr.
Read Blake Mahaffey's full review
Jemima Gibbons profile photo
December 21, 2015

Brandwatch: "Easy to use, in-depth analytics - perfect for social media strategy"

I use Brandwatch Analytics as a consultant to help create social media strategies for clients.
  • Competitor analysis - understanding share of voice and identifying successful competitor campaigns.
  • Market analysis - identifying key topics and conversations.
  • Influencer analysis - identifying key influencers in any sector.
  • It would be great if data from newer, more visual platforms like Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat could be included.
  • I'd love it if you could see in one dashboard follower counts and engagement rates across social platforms for a selection of key players in a specific sector.
  • More audience analytics - demographic breakdowns, most influential followers etc.
Brandwatch Analytics is great for competitor analysis and for monitoring brand mentions.
Read Jemima Gibbons's full review
Fiona Roddis profile photo
December 17, 2015

Review: "Brandwatch: A Great Cross Platform Listening Tool"

We use Brandwatch Analytics as part of our education program, both with clients and graduates to illustrate what's possible with social listening and brand monitoring.
  • Cross platform monitoring including social media.
  • It's a very powerful tool that allows us to gain deeper insights into brands and organisations.
  • Detailed help and tips when setting up projects/queries as well as fantastic customer support from the team.
  • Query structure is flexible allowing us to create a range of queries from general to very complex and specific.
  • Introduce a small business package that's more financially viable for startups/entrepreneurs or graduates.
  • Increase social media platform coverage.
Read Fiona Roddis's full review
Daniel Rowles profile photo
December 16, 2015

Brandwatch Review: "Best Global Social Insights Tools"

We use Brandwatch Analytics with a range of our large global clients for market insights and brand monitoring. We also use it directly ourselves for market insights and research for our content marketing efforts.
  • Global views allowing geographic searching and geo-fencing.
  • Monitors huge range of social sources globally, not just top US sites.
  • Works in huge range of languages.
  • Great analysis tools and easy to use reporting.
Brandwatch Analytics is the best tool on the market for brand monitoring and market insights via social media.
Read Daniel Rowles's full review
Phil Butler profile photo
February 04, 2015

Review: "Brandwatch for the "Listening Edge" of Digital"

As a technology, travel, and news journalist, or a PR and marketing professional, I've utilized many tools to capture the relevance and value of social media over the years. At Pamil Visions Public Relations, and via our efforts at Argophilia and Argo Travel News, our people have found Brandwatch the premier tool for showing the statistical underbelly of the digital landscape. Whether we need to report to hotel clients on media mentions, or if I personally need to find a key metric for a news story, Brandwatch solves for "X" in most cases. The point of pain Brandwatch easily solves is turning intricate and complex social interaction, Big Data, and difficult to explain concepts into relative child's play. Brandwatch is a tool every business person interested in digital must have.
  • Brandwatch mitigates creating simple to understand answers from highly complex social metrics - face it, outputting a chart to explain social tone is just amazing
  • When I was asked to show the "heat" of mentions on the subject of the Ukraine for Russia Today, Brandwatch simplified the task of comparing the sentiment toward Russia's part, Ukraine, and the rest of the west. Social media plays a huge role in PR and politics these days.
  • A hotel recently asked us to show the ROI of PR, something public relations professionals have wrestled with for decades. Brandwatch helped me clearly represent how a "test" PR campaign resulted in a massive branding plus for a singled out hotel chain versus its competitors. I know of no other metrics driven tool that has been able to so easily accomplish this.
  • Frequently we're asked to evaluate one hotels chain's competition for their social and digital imminence. Businesses want to stay ahead of the competition, obviously. Brandwatch is the perfect comparative tool to help owners eclipse their competing hotels.
  • The only real weakness I can find in the Brandwatch tool set is the learning curve for super-wired company professionals like my team. That said, the complexities and uses of Brandwatch, while extensive, end up being far more feasible for uptake than the competitive ones. I'd also commend the team at Brandwatch for assisting at every level. I can't tell you how many times they've helped me create campaigns.
In general Brandwatch can be utilized by any business or organization to make a "window" into their digital ecosystem. That said, very small companies may be pressed for cost as is always the case. Those companies intent on growth, and on using the tools that promote it, are perfect candidates for Brandwatch.
Read Phil Butler's full review
Matthew Watkins profile photo
April 29, 2015

"Brandwatch. A first-rate enterprise monitoring application"

We implement monitoring solutions for leading consumer brands. We provide managed solutions providing data at a top management level, but making sure that important indications filter down. Brandwatch monitoring provides us with critical marketing intelligence including performance indicators, threats, concerns, opportunities and competitor benchmarks. Monitoring allows clients to intercept and evaluate the conversations regarding their brand. It provides key information for improving brand sentiment, share of voice, customer service and a host of other issues.
  • Groups similar mentions to assist in competitive / marketing intelligence.
  • Social media management. Extend the network of content management.
  • Customer service. Allows teamwork on outstanding issues. Mentions can be assigned to individual users.
  • Facilitates calculation of ROI from marketing campaigns.
  • Sector wide listening. Provides a company with key industry benchmarks.
  • A Mobile version would be exceptional.
Brandwatch is appropriate in any context where there is a relatively high volume of open conversations. Important to ask information about the (advanced) query settings that can make all the difference to the quality of your results.

Read Matthew Watkins's full review
Luis Fernando Martinez Funes profile photo
April 08, 2015

Review: "Brandwatch for LATAM. A good social monitoring and intelligence tool"

We use Brandwatch for social media consulting, customer and competition analysis and one time reports for a variety of clients. We're a social business focused consultant so everybody in the company has a use for social media monitoring tools whether it is for internal use so we can assess and evaluate our customers' current social media situation or as a support of the planning and implementation of a social media strategy.
  • Brandwatch interface is clean and easy to understand. While social monitoring tools don't have to be simple they also have to provide a quick instinctive way to be used and Brandwatch provides this
  • Excellent configuration settings. Designed for both the simple projects and consultants to the most complicated and demanding projects thanks to its two ways to configure it.
  • Good analysis focus. Brandwatch has a good analysis focus which allows you not only to see the information in a dashboard but to actually dwell deeper into it.
  • Latin America focus. Brandwatch has started a LATAM drive which could be beneficial to the region and the company
  • Brandwatch still can become a more analytically focused tool. We have too many "easy basic dashboards" tools out there. Some of us really need to dig deep into the information and Brandwatch while in the right path can still improve its interface to facilitate this.
  • Increase amount of social networks covered. a tough challenge given how we always have new networks around but it is not only the new but the foreign networks like weibo or renren that should be considered.
  • Better pricing. Brandwatch is a bit expensive and a lot of small businesses have no way to access it. A small business package could really be useful.
  • While their Boolean configuration is an asset, writing and building the Boolean queries can be a real hassle and having and easier faster way to build it could be awesome. They are improving in this but there must be a way to automatize the creation of hundred characters long queries.
I recommend Brandwatch for a lot of companies and agencies that need a clean analysis with a marketing orientation or crisis management. The easy but complete way in which you can configure it and start getting results and insights can help a lot. Also to create good reports regarding the use of social media by agencies.

It can also be used for social crm and customer service scenarios but [it is] not as easily and fluid as other tools so this is where I sometimes hesitate to use it.
Read Luis Fernando Martinez Funes's full review
Marshall Sponder profile photo
April 08, 2015

Review: "Brandwatch is an excellent platform / tool investment"

I have my students working with internship projects this semester and it is an excellent platform for monitoring online reputation and story amplification. Brandwatch also implemented various roles and permission with make it easier to control access and mention usage. The issues that Brandwatch addresses is how to make sense of what is being said online about the subject of an analysis - Brandwatch's superior text categorization and tagging tools (which I compare with a Cuisinart) make it an excellent platform to invest in reusable queries revolving around industry and use case monitoring.
  • Finding conversations and tagging, categories and rulesets
  • Connecting Social Media Monitoring to SEO via API access to MOZrank, Compete, and providing social impact scores on each piece of content.
  • Demographic profiling via Twitter, can do some interesting comparisons on the fly which might be hard to do with several of its competitor platforms.
  • Theme surfacing via Text Analytics is something that is better with Brandwatch than most of the other platforms I have worked with, when it is offered, at all.
  • Brandwatch now monitors Facebook and Twitter owned media - this is more than most platforms Brandwatch is competing with does.
  • Maybe its just the server my instance is running on, but query execution is slower than ideal
  • I want to set more than 10 influencers to show up in the Author dashboard, but aren't quite sure how to do that, if it's possible.
  • The Geolocation features Brandwatch introduced a few years ago are helpful, and it would be nice if they extended it to their output, not just the input, currently they just show regional data for the most part, not city or lat/long coordinates.
  • Brandwatch ought to develop a mobile app, just like Google Analytics and Radian6 has.
Well, there's nothing specifically bad to say about Brandwatch - its all good. What I have mentioned in my speaking engagements and teaching is that text analytics tools that are best on keywords have strengths and some obvious weaknesses. One of the issues with all tools that use keywords for social media monitoring is that people often don't use the keywords we are monitoring for, using others, or no keywords at all.
Read Marshall Sponder's full review
Ari Lightman profile photo
November 18, 2014

Review: "Students and faculty using Brandwatch to research insights and work with Brands"

We use Brandwatch as a discovery and measurement tool within projects and classes dealing with social analysis at Carnegie Mellon University. Students and faculty use Brandwatch to asses how market segments are engaged with brands, political and societal trends across the social space, and how communities engage and respond with organizations. We view Brandwatch as a critical piece in student development and learning and couldn't be happier in partnering with them..
  • Powerful querying capabilities with the ability to filter based on several factors
  • Data visualization for easy trend spotting and benchmarking capability
  • Sentiment mapping to identify how brands and content are perceived across channels
  • Easy to understand and use interface
  • Great customer support and accessible online help resources
  • Industry specific content and examples
  • Integration into structured CRM applications
Brandwatch is one of the best tools for research and analysis in that it lets you go very specific on individual querying to weed out all the noise from the social web.
Read Ari Lightman's full review
Ben Donkor profile photo
November 14, 2014

Brandwatch Review: "Not just a "social listening tool", but a "social intelligence solution"."

One of the main problems I've been able to solve with the help of Brandwatch is correlation - so what you had spike in mentions last week? What caused it? So what you had a lot of mentions from a particular forum, more than usual? What caused that? Thanks to annotation and the ability to plot various metrics on the flexible Brandwatch graphs, I can easily identify what correlates and what causes spikes and/or dips, even before I export the data to Excel for a deep-dive. In fact, one of the benefits of Brandwatch is that, while I can keep some of the dashboards with basic and self-explanatory graphs based on the audience, I can also keep my "super dashboards" with all the metrics and widgets I need, and I can do all of my deep dives right from the dashboard. This leads me to the next problem I was able to solve thanks to Brandwatch - showing my various stakeholders that social listening (and social analytics in general) isn't daunting, it isn't boring, and just because it's often portrayed in an Excel spreadsheet it doesn't mean it's too scary for the business to appreciate. Brandwatch is so customisable and flexible that it's manager-friendly, analyst-friendly, data geek-friendly etc.
  • Brandwatch is very flexible, customisable, it's great for beginners and it appeases the advanced users who are always looking for more and more data
  • Brandwatch is the tool with the highest number of supported Boolean queries - something to keep in mind if you want to build really flexible and accurate social listening queries.
  • Brandwatch is open - with open APIs, you can integrate it with other applications that you may already have (e.g. Hootsuite, so you can monitor mentions and engage with them).
  • Brandwatch isn't stagnant - the platform is constantly updated, every 2 weeks, so I'm reassured that I'm with a solution that moves at the pace of digital marketing.
  • I've used Brandwatch for quite a while, and I have to say that I'm thoroughly satisfied with it. However, if I have to point out a "weakness", I'd say the lack of an app. It would be great to have a view of mentions and analytics on-the-go, via an app. Having said that, it's not a big deal-breaker - I've tried using Brandwatch on my phone and a few more times on my tablet and it works just fine.
One of the several areas where Brandwatch shines is how refined you can get your Boolean queries to be - as it's the tool that supports the most Boolean queries out there, I've been able to create really accurate and refined queries, and the better the queries, the better the results you get out of the tool. The added preview option also helps me to see if the query will work even before I save it. In other words, Brandwatch is a perfectionist's dream come true.
Read Ben Donkor's full review
Adam Connell profile photo
November 13, 2014

Brandwatch Review: "An impressive enterprise level social listening tool"

I use Brandwatch across my entire organization. We use it to monitor brand mentions and that of our competitors. We have some VERY big competitors and Brandwatch has been instrumental in gauging how strong our brand is in comparison to competitors.

• Identifying social reach of competitors - do you know how much reach your competitors have? What about how many social mentions they get in a given day? Most people have no idea but I can see the exact percentage of the social web my brand takes up in comparison to its competitors. This is invaluable in discovering how effective my brand is, what's working for competitors and what's working for us.
  • Deep social listening - do you know what your customers/readers are saying about your brand? Most of my brands competitors don't know this so using Brandwatch to monitor for brand mentions gives us a huge advantage. We can also respond to mentions within the tool in most situations - great for reputation management.
  • Supporting additional social networks - what Brandwatch supports now is great, but the more the merrier.
  • Ease of adding queries - there is a learning curve involved when using Brandwatch but then again that's the way it should be because it's an enterprise level tool so it's packed with functionality. There are easier to use tools but they don't have nowhere near as many features and the complexity of queries adds another dimension entirely. That said, they have improved things significantly so it's now much easier than it was and their team are always very helpful in offering support.
Consider whether you have the time to invest in using a tool like this. You need the time to learn how to use Brandwatch and the time to put the data to use. The Brandwatch team is very helpful so you can easily get support. It's not the cheapest tool but you really get what you pay for. I've used budget tools and they just aren't as effective (and support isn't there when you need it).
Brandwatch is an incredible tool to monitor social mentions, pick up on potential marketing opportunities, identify what's working for your competitors and understand the reach of competitors.

Read Adam Connell's full review
Dr Jillian Ney profile photo
February 05, 2015

Review: "Brandwatch offering more than surface level analytics"

We use Brandwatch daily at Disruptive Insight. Brandwatch is one of our preferred tools that we use for a number of social intelligence projects. We are passionate about highlighting the context within social media conversations and Brandwatch provides us with functionality to get behind some of the numbers in social media. The advanced analytics are what attracted us to Brandwatch and they continue to be one of our favourite and most used tools from our suite of partners.
  • Advanced Analytics
  • Customer Service
  • Visual Graph Creation
  • Ability to recode topics from the auto generated word cloud
We use Brandwatch daily and for a number of different scenarios and business needs and find it a good catch all. However we use another application for understanding influencers.
Read Dr Jillian Ney's full review
Will Hall profile photo
November 21, 2014

"Brandwatch review"

We use Brandwatch to monitor and listen to social and digital conversations for our clients. It is globally used across the organization, across several different teams. Its modern design and interface has helped to address a wide range of business problems including crisis communications and helping us to understand our clients' audiences. The execution of a social media listening solution is essential for most businesses today. Brandwatch is an excellent tool for monitoring reputational risks and summarizing online conversations. Not only is Brandwatch helpful in the analysis of social datasets but it also enables us to combine social with other platforms. I would recommend Brandwatch to a business of any size thanks to its versatility.
  • The query builder allows you to filter out lots of spam and search for exactly what you want
  • The top authors function allows you to monitor the most influential users in your community
  • I'd like more ways to manipulate the data in the dashboard.
It excels in social media monitoring. If that is the main aim then Brandwatch is the tool to go with.
Read Will Hall's full review
Joakim Nilsson profile photo
November 19, 2014

Brandwatch Review: "The ultimate platform for social media listening & analytics"

We help install Brandwatch within other organisations. Typically across teams such as Communication, Customer Service, Marketing and PR helping them understand what's being said about their own brand and competitors. Teams will be able to measure and benchmark marketing effectiveness, how their brands and products are being perceived, customer service outreach and business critical competitive insights.
  • Ability to get exactly the data you need by using complex search queries, ruling and categorisation of data.
  • Unsurpassed possibilities to present the data in highly customised dashboards
  • Quality of data
  • Automated reporting
  • Support for more languages
Brandwatch is an enterprise solution focused on social media monitoring and analytics. It is not a platform for engagement on social media although it plugs in with Hootsuite and Spredfast.
Read Joakim Nilsson's full review
Adam Post profile photo
November 19, 2014

Review: "Brandwatch is a Comprehensive Solution to Monitor Your Brand"

Brandwatch is an amazing solution for monitoring the pulse of my clients brands. The Brandwatch platform helps us gather real time data on what's being said about the brands we represent from all across the web while allowing us to manage everything in their comprehensive platform. From tracking web mentions, blogs, authors, Twitter and Facebook, Brandwatch provides an outlet to really understand what's being said about our brands and products.
  • User Interface
  • Sentiment Analysis
  • All in one solution
  • Accurate real-time data
  • Reporting
  • Integration with Instagram and Pinterest
I would recommend Brandwatch to any established brand that is looking for a comprehensive solution to track web mentions.
Read Adam Post's full review
Luísa Barwinski profile photo
November 26, 2014

Brandwatch Review: "A very insightful tool for anyone who wants good ideas!"

We use Brandwatch to get better insights about our own industry and our clients industries. Brandwatch is one of the best tools we have ever seen and it also has an comprehensive flexibility to fit in your project needs. Using Brandwatch has helped us to understand and prevent our clients eventual crisis and saved us a lot of time and money. With no doubt I would recommend this tool to anybody who asks about social media monitoring and analysis.
  • Social Media Monitoring
  • Brand insights
  • Trend analysis
  • Translation to portuguese
  • Some operators are a bit confusing at the beginning
  • Channels usage are a bit confusing at the beginning
It may depend on the budget. For small companies, Brandwatch may be a little bit expensive.
Read Luísa Barwinski's full review
Matthew Mortimer profile photo
November 24, 2014

User Review: "Brandwatch"

Brandwatch is a fantastic social media monitoring tool. It helps allow to us track and measure various content we produce on a number of social media platforms. We can learn from the data provided how to tweak and improve our content for our audience. I would highly recommend it and know that it is the best monitoring tool we have used.
  • Its layout is user friendly.
  • Not much training is required as it is easy to use.
  • Collating results in an understandable format.
  • I would like to see further analysis
I wouldn't say specific scenarios, I would claim Brandwatch is useful on all fronts of which it offers.
Read Matthew Mortimer's full review
Tim Grimes profile photo
November 19, 2014

Review: "Brandwatch Monitoring - 10/10 [Music Industry]"

Defected Records currently uses Brandwatch to track all social mentions for both brands and music releases. Also allows us to track and monitor our key social channels in one dashboard.
  • Easy to manage dashboard
  • Query builder one of the best around
  • Social post scheduler would be useful
Brandwatch is best used to understand the mentions/reach of specific campaigns.
Read Tim Grimes's full review
March 15, 2016

Brandwatch Review: "Provides more data points and more flexible analysis that competitors"

Brandwatch Analytics is being used across multiple business units within our agency. This includes account teams for clients for which we are the social AOR, as well as by agency resources that are shared by multiple business units for project (non-retainer) work, new business, etc. We also address multiple business problems with the platform. Some of these include analytics on client owned social platforms, content analysis, competitive set tracking, social listening, hashtag or campaign monitoring, research and planning, etc.
  • Twitter coverage is very strong, which provides for accurate data and flexible measurement capabilities. Data sets include follower count, following count, replies, and retweets which sample data points that are not always available in other platform unless you are authorized as the owner of the channel.
  • The entire platform is robust yet flexible. There are advanced Boolean operators that can be used to create complex queries. Then, when ready to analyze the data, the dashboards provide an almost endless way of filtering, categorizing, tagging, drilling down into, slicing, and dicing the data however you need to see it to answer your business problem.
  • Customer service has always been timely and interactions are positive. They can usually solve a problem or at least give you a response to let you know they are working on an issue well within 24 hours.
  • Instagram data coverage is not very strong. Though there are industry-wide hurdles in tracking data on Instagram, there are competitors that have proven more accurate than Brandwatch.
  • Many larger, more broad queries return a lot of junk or spam posts. Customer service can help with filtering these out with common "NOT" operator phrases. However, some competitors do a better job on the back end to make sure you never see as much as the spam to begin with.
  • Monthly data limits are a con if your work requires a lot of ad hoc projects and it's hard to project the monthly volume you will need.
From my experience with multiple social listening tools, Brandwatch Analytics strikes a decent balance in measurement and analysis. Many other tools only address one of these needs. Measurement in the sense that they provide specific data points (likes, comments, shares, follower count, etc.), and analysis in the sense that you can custom define trends within your topic (with tags and categories), filter by dozens of different variables, and can drill down to explain the "why?".

About Brandwatch

Brandwatch Analytics is an enterprise social intelligence platform that is designed to allow brands to listen and analyze online conversation to extract meaningful insights, inform their business decisions and understand more about the return on their marketing spend.

Brandwatch Analytics was built in 2008 and according to the vendor, it is now widely recognized as the most sophisticated social intelligence platform available, offering a flexible, powerful suite of features designed to aid business in taking advantage of social data.

Brandwatch Features

Has featureProprietary listening technology providing quality data coverage
Has featureThe most advanced, customizable charting and analysis functionality available
Has featureUnlimited users and a range of distrubution, sharing and permissions options
Has featureFlexible dashboards with over 25 different components
Has feature30+ fully-supported languages, including Topics and sentiment extraction
Has featureSophisticated demographic and theme analysis
Has featureOwned Twitter and Facebook channel tools
Has featureAutomated, intelligent and custom alerting features
Has featureBulk processing and automation of categorization and tagging

Brandwatch Screenshots