Gusto is a Disaster

Gusto for Gusto

Gusto Review

Direct deposit files (53)

Salary revision and increment management (47)

Pay calculation (53)

Benefit plan administration (41)

5.9

Basic

$19/month

$6 per employee/contractor

Complete: Includes everything in the Core plan, plus better HR tools so you can create a great place to work

$39/month

$12 per employee/contractor

Core: Refreshingly easy payroll so you can get back to what matters most.

$39/month

$6 per employee/contractor

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://gusto.com/product/pricing?utm_s…

Payroll Management

What is Gusto?

Gusto is a modern, online people platform that aims to help small businesses take care of their teams. According to the vendor, their products and services help customers onboard, pay, insure, and engage their team in one integrated, easy-to-use platform used by over 100,000 modern employers. Gusto aims to make taking care of teams a joyful experience, while helping users manage their bottom line and stay compliant. Gusto promises that users will feel like a pro no matter how complicated the situation.

Full-service payroll - According to the vendor, Gusto makes running payroll easy. Gusto automatically calculates and files payroll taxes, help keeps companies compliant, and provides awesome support.

Benefits that work for any team and budget - Gusto aims to make offering employee benefits a reality for any small business. Whether an organization is buying health insurance for the first time or wants to integrate an existing plan with payroll, Gust can provide expert guidance. They'll help with add-ons like 401(k), life insurance, and commuter benefits, which the vendor says allows companies to create a competitive package that attracts and retains employees. The vendor promises their modern, intuitive software and team of licensed advisors helps customers navigate benefits with confidence.

Gusto Features

• Supported: Salary revision and increment management

• Supported: Flexible, automated payroll
  • Supported: Benefits administration, including HSA, FSA, and Commuter
  • Supported: Streamlined HR
  • Supported: Affordable, integrated 401(k)
  • Supported: Workers' compensation compliance
  • Supported: Custom offer docs and onboarding
  • Supported: Flexible PTO policy options

Gusto Screenshots

Easy time-off trackingFlexible, automated payrollEffortless benefits administrationEasy time-off trackingAffordable, integrated 401(k)The source of truth for all your HR data

Gusto Video

Gusto Integrations

Gusto Competitors

Gusto Technical Details

Supported CountriesUnited States
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Spanish

Alternatives

What is Gusto?

Gusto offers payroll, benefits and compliance capabilities. Gusto is scaled for small to mid-sized businesses, and emphasizes an easy to use interface.

What is Gusto's best feature?

Reviewers rate Reimbursement management highest, with a score of 9.5.

Who uses Gusto?

The most common users of Gusto are from Small Businesses and the Accounting industry.

Sarah Young (She/Her) | TrustRadius Reviewer
Gusto is used by our HR team to keep track of employment documents, payroll, and benefits for our US-based employees. Gusto is super simple to use. Payroll is automatically run weekly. Gusto also keeps track of all tax documentation for our employees and creates all tax forms at the end of the year. We love Gusto!
We used Gusto concierge to complete HR, compliance, [and] payroll needs for our employees. [In our experience, we thought] that by getting the top plan, we [would be] getting better service, but Gusto has been the worst experience ever [in my opinion]. [It felt like] we [spent] days waiting for their service team to respond and nothing ever came. [During our experience,] we got [our] first notice from IRS because of [what I believe is] their error. [In our experience,] when we tried reaching [out] to Gusto, [but] they did not respond. [In our case, I believe we made] multiple calls, emails, and tickets [that] didn't give any results. [I feel like] it really takes [a lot of] effort to write this review and, believe me, it's no fun. [However, in my opinion, I feel that others should], please, be careful [when] selecting Gusto [for] payroll.
I have an accounting/bookkeeping service for small businesses. I have a few clients who use Gusto as their payroll source. When I first started supporting clients on Gusto, they were very responsive and helpful. Things have declined dramatically over the last 4 years. I have 2 clients who have had tax issues in 2021. It is now taking about 1.5-2 months to get a response on critical tax issues. I received an email today that said their average wait time for response is now 45-77 days. How is that even acceptable? I complained this fall, received a blanket email from the President... but nothing has changed. It took from 12/7 until 1/6 for them to assign an actual rep to the case... who basically told me it would be a while.
Josh Bicknell | TrustRadius Reviewer
I started using Gusto in combination with Clover, which was my payment processor and POS at the time. It integrated seamlessly with new employees and contractors, and allowed me to track and pay them simply at various employment levels and also pay myself as the managing member of my company using owner’s draw. It even provided options for workmans comp, incentives and rewards, and benefits including health insurance options. The number of simple, streamlined solutions that were offered was outstanding for a small business like mine.
We use Gusto for full-service payroll for the company. It is easy to use and run payroll. My issues with the company are that the customer services representatives generally know less about the product and about taxes than I do as a layperson. A recent example is that one of the forms that they submit for us is the new Paid Family and Medical Leave tax. Each employee pays into this fund for Massachusetts. The employer is allowed to opt-in but in order to do this, the employer must be listed on the form and check the "opt-in" box next to the employer's name. When I contacted Gusto about this they repeatedly respond in a way that makes me think that they don't understand my question. I have even sent them a copy of what the Department of Revenue advised to me in an email. With the email documentation from the department of revenue that says their form is incorrect, they have refused to assist me and asked me to get my accountant involved. With my accountant involved- why do I need a payroll company?
Adina Stern | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have used Gusto since 2015 when they were called Zen payroll. Overall we had been happy with their services until this year. Even last year, when the pandemic was at its worst, customer service was always there to answer questions. On September 30th we had an urgent month end payroll issue that we needed resolved. I was on hold waiting for customer service for OVER 2 HOURS and then gave up and sent an email. I tried again the next morning when they opened and this time they finally answered after an hour. It then took another 45 minutes to get the matter resolved but at least this was while working with a live human. If you do not mind wasting 4 hours on a question that should have been answered in 15 minutes then by all means use Gusto. What prompted me to write this review today was that it is now November 5, 2021 and I finally received a response to the email from September 30th and it did not even answer the question we posed. There was a time when this was a great payroll service but that time has passed. We are shopping for a new one and I strongly recommend that you avoid this one.
Ryan Shelton | TrustRadius Reviewer
[Gusto is a] very simple, yet powerful payroll solution that doesn't break the bank. Love the integrations it has with other software, as well as the thoughtful touches in the platform encouraging me to be a better leader. Excellent platform that seems to get better and better and grow along with us. Highly recommend!
Rob Gokee | TrustRadius Reviewer
There are a lot of apps & software companies vying for independent contractor payroll services. Gusto is the best one I've used and [the only one] I've been able to use that combines payments from multiple vendors. For me, this is key because it allows me to have one site, one logon for getting paid.
Sarah Arrillaga | TrustRadius Reviewer
Gusto is one of the most widely known payroll software which is indeed a very well-rounded one. I have been using this tool for a couple of years now and I am seriously hooked. It is quite secure and has allowed us to a great extent to easily manage all our employment details. This tool has resolved all the queries regarding where to derive tax documents from. Payroll can become a very tedious and mundane task and this has catered to it so well. The customer service of this product is also really supportive and accommodating. Overall, it is an incredible platform. We always got the customer support we required in a timely manner. I have no complaints associated with their customer support as they have always accommodated my issues and queries on an instant basis.
Alan Bloxham | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Gusto across our entire team to track working time. It helps resolve the issue of the being forced to count all of the hours through the week to make sure that you are not exceeding your hours. It also reminds workers to take a 30 minute unpaid break.
November 23, 2021

Gusto is a Disaster

We have been with Gusto since 2018, but we cannot in good conscience recommend them to any businesses, small, medium, or large. Their software is faulty and their customer service is never available to help. Holidays are not added properly to payroll even though we are on their Complete plan with "automated PTO/payroll syncing". Our 401(k) matching contributions are not calculated properly because their software doesn't use all eligible wages before calculating the 401(k) match. The list of issues goes on. It takes Gusto ~ 2 weeks to answer emails. We sent them an email 3 weeks ago and we have yet to receive a response!!! It always takes them many days or a few weeks to get back to us (when they do reach out). And when we get a response, they simply don't address the problem or cannot solve the issue. Gusto is either disorganized or growing too fast. They are no longer a viable solution if you are looking for reliable payroll software and responsive customer service. We're considering leaving them in 5 weeks and starting 2022 with a more robust platform.
September 13, 2021

Gusto for Gusto

We have been using Gusto across our entire company for about two years. It has extremely streamlined our payroll processes. We used to have 10 different spreadsheets to track different things, hours worked, PTO, etc. Gusto takes care of all of that for us in one centralized location.
McKay Salisbury | TrustRadius Reviewer
I've been really impressed with Gusto. The pricing is pretty good and it comes with a lot of the features we wanted. Most importantly, they take care of all the tax issues and will answer questions, so I can make sure that all our filings and tax payments are being done correctly and on time.

We use them for tracking hours for hourly workers, filing payroll, making the wage and tax payments, and a few of their other bonus features.
We use [Gusto] to track time within our company. Basically it works as a punch in and punch out software but the nice thing about it is that it also initiates payroll within the system. For our business that saves time gathering time card information and then inputting it in a separate payroll software. This combines the two and saves a bunch of time at an affordable price.
June 11, 2021

Gusto Review

I've used Gusto happily and easily for my small business for over 2 years. Their interface is fairly easy to use, but two recent simple issues with employee tax forms have taken over a month to resolve by [what I feel is] their poorly staffed customer service department. [I believe] their service is extremely slow and their staff ill-equipped to reply and resolve issues creating an embarrassing situation for me with my employees.
Ian Hansen | TrustRadius Reviewer
We began using Gusto quite recently, and were pleased to find that they had done a lot of the forward thinking required to help team members join a company, have the necessary forms and payroll tie-ins taken care of, and track time off requests. Our company is using it for all of our team members and it has helped us bring the HR functions into one.
Daniel Shatzkes CEO Entrepreneur, Manufacturer, Musician | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Gusto for payroll across the company. It's a small company though so there are many features that we do not make use of. Hopefully, in time as we grow, we will have the need for those features and we will begin to implement them into our payroll and benefits.