Score 6.9 out of 10

What is Gusto?

Gusto offers payroll, benefits and compliance capabilities. Gusto is scaled for small to mid-sized businesses, and emphasizes an easy to use interface.

No More Headaches

October 11, 2022

• Direct deposit files (136)
  • Pay calculation (134)
  • Salary revision and increment management (115)
  • Benefit plan administration (93)
    6.3

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Gusto, and make your voice heard!

Simple: A streamlined set of automatic payroll features and benefits integrations

$40/month + $6/mo per person

$12 per employee/contractor

Plus: Comprehensive payroll, benefits, and HR tools for employers building a great place to work

$80/month + $12/mo per person

Premium: Scalable payroll and benefits, expert HR, and dedicated support for the complex needs of growing teams

Exclusive pricing, contact Gusto

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://gusto.com/product/pricing?utm_s…

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $40 per month

Features

Payroll Management

Provides for pay calculation and benefit plan administration, in addition to managing direct deposit, salary revisions and payroll tracking.

8.1Avg 8.2

What is Gusto?

Gusto is an online people platform that aims to help small businesses take care of their teams. According to the vendor, their products and services help customers onboard, pay, insure, and engage their team in one integrated, easy-to-use platform used by over 200,000 modern employers. Gusto aims to make taking care of teams a joyful experience, while helping users manage their bottom line and stay compliant. Gusto promises that users will feel like a pro no matter how complicated the situation.

Full-service payroll - According to the vendor, Gusto makes running payroll easy. Gusto automatically calculates and files payroll taxes, help keeps companies compliant, and provides awesome support.

Benefits that work for any team and budget - Gusto aims to make offering employee benefits a reality for any small business. Whether an organization is buying health insurance for the first time or wants to integrate an existing plan with payroll, Gust can provide expert guidance. They'll help with add-ons like 401(k), life insurance, and commuter benefits, which the vendor says allows companies to create a competitive package that attracts and retains employees. The vendor promises their modern, intuitive software and team of licensed advisors helps customers navigate benefits with confidence.

Gusto Features

• Supported: Direct deposit files
  • Supported: Payroll tracking and auditing
  • Supported: Salary revision and increment management

Gusto Screenshots

Screenshot of Flexible, automated payrollScreenshot of Time-off trackingScreenshot of The source of truth for HR data

Gusto Video

Gusto Integrations

Gusto Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based
Supported CountriesUnited States
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Spanish

Gusto starts at $40.

Paychex Flex, ADP Streamline Payroll, and QuickBooks Online are common alternatives for Gusto.

Reviewers rate Reimbursement management highest, with a score of 9.5.

The most common users of Gusto are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Jackie Ramieri | TrustRadius Reviewer
We transitioned from another payroll / HR system to Gusto in December of 2022. Gusto's pitch was that they would automate all of our onboarding for tax registration and would automate filing our quarterly taxes.
I use Gusto on a weekly basis for all of my payroll needs for both of my companies. It's fast and easy to learn and use. They take care of all of the new hire onboarding paperwork with new staff members and hire the new staff paperwork with the state for me. Everything is easily contained in one location for easy access to retrieve payroll and employee documents. At the end of the year they email and mail employees copies of their W-2 so you don't need to print it out and manage it yourself. The functionality is fantastic and it's an absolute breeze. I can easily hire and send a new employee new hire paperwork to fill out digitally in less than 5 minutes and I don't need to keep multiple hard copies stored on site for my business since Gusto takes care of all of that. They also have very sweet reminders about employee anniversaries and birthdays so you can send out happy birthday digital e cards to get signed by the rest of the employees to be delivered on the birthday employee's birthday. Highly recommend using Gusto!
Gusto provides payroll for our company, and we originally switched to it for improved ease of use compared to our prior payroll provider, whom we had to call into each pay period. Gusto, being natively online, is modern and overall better than who we'd used previously. We saved about 50% as well. We also went remote fully prior to the COVID-19 pandemic setting in. During the pandemic, we had an employee move out of state, and Gusto proved to be super easy to setup for the new state, including ensuring we were properly set up to pay local city taxes in addition to the new state taxes. As the company owner, I've hired employees and contractors since using Gusto, and have converted some contractors to full-time employees. Gusto makes this easy as well, and having an intuitive platform that I trust to calculate deductions and everything else, frees my time up to do paying work. Oh, and Gusto is fully integrated into my bookkeeping software, QuickBooks Online, so when I approve a payroll, there's nothing more for me to do from a bookkeeping standpoint.
October 24, 2022

Best Solution So Far

We use Gusto for payroll. We subscribed to the Concierge service level because we had had problems with customer service at previous payroll processors. The subscription levels are changing, so we are unsure how this change will affect their service. We also switched our 401(k) administrator to be the one integrated with Gusto.
Josh Winnegrad | TrustRadius Reviewer
Gusto is our core HR platform. We use Gusto to manage and run payroll, pay contractors, pay taxes, complete and file required tax/compliance documents, and provide employee benefits. We wanted an easy to use, cost-effective tool to handle payroll, benefits, taxes, and all the HR paperwork and Gusto has been an excellent solution for years.
Robert Lloyd | TrustRadius Reviewer
I needed a better payroll system. I've tried the local big name ones and the reps all leave within a few months. Gusto is so much easier to process payroll. New employees can sign up and do all the paperwork on their own. Super easy. Fees are similar or better than the others.
Having used local payroll companies with increasing rates, bad service, and reps that disappear made moving my payroll to Gusto easy. The reports are fine, the website works well and support has been available when needed. The pricing is simple and easy to figure out. No more calculators is needed for that. The portal sends reminders and you can automate a lot of it.
October 11, 2022

No More Headaches

I discovered Gusto while looking for a payroll platform that allowed for custom tax withholding options. One of my employees had a unique tax position that Gusto could easily accommodate, unlike many other platforms.
Payroll was a breeze each week as Gusto took care of everything for you, including filing and paying the necessary taxes. When there was an issue during the onboarding process, Gusto was there to quickly remedy the problem.
Gusto is great! It is easy to input employees' hours and keep track of it. Employees get paid promptly, and it is an easy, streamlined process. My favorite perk is that when it comes time to file taxes, Gusto is connected to Turbo Tax and automatically populates employees' W2s! Our old payroll system was not great. We were constantly dealing with timing issues and no pay until three days after payday. Gusto makes the whole payroll process bearable and easy! The benefits of using Gusto are the Turbo Tax integration, the Gusto savings account, and ease of use.
We use Gusto for payroll, time tracking, onboarding, and other benefits tracking (like sick leave and paid time off, or bonuses). It has made it easier to keep everything employee related all together in one place and get our employees paid in a very timely manner, without the need to question what day our paychecks will arrive in our bank accounts.
Gusto is used for a number of things, including payroll, onboarding, and Human Resources needs. Mainly, it is used for logging hours, payroll, PTO, sick time, benefits, tax forms, etc. Besides this, it also helps us keep track of employee birthdays and work anniversaries so we can celebrate our employees!
We used Gusto to process payroll, pay payroll taxes, and manage health insurance benefits. The interface is clean and user-friendly. The functionality is very good. The customer service and support are the worst I've ever experienced in over 30 years of processing payroll and/or benefits administration.
July 13, 2022

Gusto Review

Gusto is used for a number of reasons. It keeps track of all employees and contractors within the company. It is used for logging work hours, payroll, PTO, sick time, benefits, tax forms, etc.

It helps keep all of the paid work and paid workers organized. It also helps keep track of birthdays and work anniversaries.
If I could give Gusto a negative rating I would. Their software is "relatively" easy to use for simply posting payroll and having new employees enter their data - beyond that the software and support are horrible. The support team is offshore and not trained in payroll, they are trained in using the software. The support hours are limited. Reporting is nearly non-existent. There are reports though they are immature and difficult to access. I've yet to get a decent report with an easy-to-use layout that works. We work with MANY other payroll companies and this one is the worst.