Paychex Flex, of Paychex' Online Payroll Services, is a cloud-based human resource management and payroll platform, scalable to meet the needs of small businesses, SMBs, and large enterprises.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/34/4u/KU6H3ZCUHW58.PNGPaychex Flex is not all that Flexible!Paychex Flex is being used by the HR, Payroll and Operations Departments. We came to Paychex Flex after many struggles with ADP Workforce Now chaos of tracking problems with ticket #'s, the overwhelming misinformation and their accountability for that information from their Representatives, which just created a ton of extra work for us. We were promised that Paychex Flex was one seamless system that was full integrated with all its platforms. That is not the case but we were happy with the time and attendance time off online system for requesting and approving time off and the ease in processing payroll adjustments. We needed mobile access for our employees to punch in/out at multiple off-site locations. and Paychex Flex offered that. We needed a better way of meeting our ACA obligations, and Paychex Flex offered that as well. Their Support teams are very knowledgeable and we don't have to keep track of ticket #'s to follow up on open items being reviewed.,Addressing your problems/questions. Their team is very knowledgeable and are capable of addressing your problems usually within the call or within a reasonable time if you shoot them an email. ACA - once you understand what is required to obtain accurate reports you are blessed with the results at year end. Setting up new Voluntary Deductions/Garnishments, Direct Deposits, Rate and Address changes even while processing an active payroll is super easy and everything takes effect immediately with the exception of W4/State/City tax changes that are not permitted during an active payroll. Seeing a payroll breakdown gross to net while still in the processing stages of payroll has proved to be very convenient and helpful.,Reports. If you can manage with their many standard reports you're good to go, but customization of reports is truly lacking. To get a "special" report created for you usually takes a week, and you never speak to the person creating the report (they are shielded by this tall wall of mystery.) There is a lot of back and forth with your Payroll Rep to get it done the way you need it, and even then you are usually settling for the best they can do. No true seamless integration. Their platforms do not communicate as they promise so you find that you need to go to multiple platforms to get all your information in. You will even need to go to different areas within the platform to get a new hire added, for instance. You will hear a lot that Paychex Flex is not capable of doing something which means you have to figure it out since you still need what you need. Their Geo-fencing and web punching have multiple ongoing issues. Since Paychex will only deal with a select group of people in your organization, those select people become inundated with having to deal with the systems technical issues, getting screenshots, emailing and responding between Paychex and the employee to troubleshoot throughout the fix. You in essence become their support team instead of you having a support team that will speak to the employee to fix the problems. Their revolutionary Fingerprint Scanning Timeclocks are poorly designed and/or cheaply made. They go down and need to be replaced every few months leaving you with having to manually key in employee times. They know this is a problem yet will not agree to you having a back time clock unless you pay for it.,3,ROI is very low, our staff is required to use multiple avenues to track, confirm and manage so many aspects of our Payroll and HR business and still things are missed. We have decided that the required duplicity and ineffective time management is just is not cost effective. Paychex Flex does not come close to meeting our needs.,Experienced Retirement Platform - Good management, cumbersome platformWe used Paychex to manage our retirement account and switched to a different company in January 2018. I thought the automatic management component in Paychex was awesome, I got a great return on my 401k. The loan process was also super easy to manage. The online management platform was horrible. Other companies (as well as our new one) have lots of planning tools - graphs, charts/visual dashboards to help you plan your retirement and see if you are on track. The Paychex platform may have had those tools but it was cumbersome and not user friendly,The automatic 401k management tool- I got a great return and the fees were minimal Simple process to access your funds or get a loan The ability to log in online and manage your account,It would be great if there was an online financial planning components, questionnaires that help you set targets and goals and a dashboard that showed you if you were on trqck A lot of paperwork needed to be completed by hand, it would have been great to have online forms so you don’t have to print, scan and email The overall online platform is cumbersome. It’s not easy to navigate and not at all intuitive,4,I didn’t purchase Paychex so I’m unsure,ADP Workforce Now and Workday Human Capital Management,ADP ezLaborManager, Workday Human Capital ManagementWorth the extra cost to many SMEsI always recommend that Paychex Flex be used across the whole organization. There are two reasons for this recommendation. First, Paychex Flex has inherent scalability that would be frankly wasted if not deployed across the whole organization. Second, Paychex Flex is relatively expensive compared to other entry-level payroll and human resources software solutions so it makes sense to spread those costs across as much of the organization as possible. Paychex Flex addresses payroll and benefits administration for companies.,Scalability Strong user interface Live support Flexibility,Price Interface styling Reports whose look and functionality are customizable instead of simply the data,8,Allows employees to focus on growing the business Cuts down on administrative costs Helps with talent retention,Xero Online,QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks Premier, Sage 100 ERPPaychex Flex is an okay toolWe use Paychex Flex as our HRIS system and payroll. We also user their benefits administration system. It is used by accounting and human resources for the most part but every employee has an account and can look at their paystubs and do their benefits enrollment through this portal.,They have a lot of tools available with a one point log in It's great to be able to go to one spot to do benefits, payroll, etc The people/payroll piece is user friendly,There aren't a ton of options to create out of the box/personalized functionality There isn't one point of contact, subject matter expert who can help with what portal to do certain actions in Often times customer service isn't super responsive,5,Paychex Flex has helped us to process payroll smoothly Paychex Flex has helped us to track applicants Paychex Flex has helped us to allow a smooth transition from new hire to first day of workPaychex Flex: Lightweight, easy to useIs it being used by a department or across the whole organization? At this point in time, the company has completed it's merger; however, there are still certain platforms that have not yet been unified. At the moment, Paychex Flex is still being used by my 'side' of the merger at ExactBid (although EDR is the new umbrella brand). This encompasses all departments within ExactBid, but does not encompass EDRs legacy employees. What business problems does it address? We use Paychex Flex for payroll as well as delivery of our tax documentation for the year.,The app notifies you when your paystub is available. It is then accessible on both the App as well as the browser based application. It automatically implements two factor authorization using your phone number on file as soon as it recognizes that you're logging in from a different device or IP address. I know other platforms like Paylocity also offer similar functionalities, but I've used both. My wife currently uses Paylocity at her job. The platform is just clunky. Paychex feels lighter, more agile, and just easier to use from an end user standpoint.,Within my version of Flex (unsure if it is available at a different tier or enabled/disabled within the admin side), I don't have the ability to change my paycheck distribution. I have a set amount that goes to my personal account and part that goes to a joint account. My insurance is changing 1/1/19 and I need to modify those values. I can't seem to do this within the UI, so I need to contact my accounting/payroll department to do this instead of doing it in the app. Paylocity offers this feature.,9,We are a privately owned company owned by investment firms. Their main goal is to make money. Because of that, we put money toward the resources we need and try to keep other costs low elsewhere. This happens to be one of those places. It isn't that finding the perfect payroll software is our goal, but finding something that works for our needs and is cost effective. If that is the case, then yes, this meets all of our needs. It certainly doesn't negatively impact our business.,Paylocity Web Pay and Paycor,Zendesk, HipChat, Atlassian Confluence
Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex Reviews

Paychex Flex
Top Rated Award
Filter 57 vetted Paychex Flex reviews and ratings
Cynthia Harris profile photo
August 08, 2018

User Review: "Paychex Flex is not all that Flexible!"

• Addressing your problems/questions. Their team is very knowledgeable and are capable of addressing your problems usually within the call or within a reasonable time if you shoot them an email.
  • ACA - once you understand what is required to obtain accurate reports you are blessed with the results at year end.
  • Setting up new Voluntary Deductions/Garnishments, Direct Deposits, Rate and Address changes even while processing an active payroll is super easy and everything takes effect immediately with the exception of W4/State/City tax changes that are not permitted during an active payroll.
  • Seeing a payroll breakdown gross to net while still in the processing stages of payroll has proved to be very convenient and helpful.
  • Reports. If you can manage with their many standard reports you're good to go, but customization of reports is truly lacking. To get a "special" report created for you usually takes a week, and you never speak to the person creating the report (they are shielded by this tall wall of mystery.) There is a lot of back and forth with your Payroll Rep to get it done the way you need it, and even then you are usually settling for the best they can do.
  • No true seamless integration. Their platforms do not communicate as they promise so you find that you need to go to multiple platforms to get all your information in. You will even need to go to different areas within the platform to get a new hire added, for instance.
  • You will hear a lot that Paychex Flex is not capable of doing something which means you have to figure it out since you still need what you need.
  • Their Geo-fencing and web punching have multiple ongoing issues. Since Paychex will only deal with a select group of people in your organization, those select people become inundated with having to deal with the systems technical issues, getting screenshots, emailing and responding between Paychex and the employee to troubleshoot throughout the fix. You in essence become their support team instead of you having a support team that will speak to the employee to fix the problems.
  • Their revolutionary Fingerprint Scanning Timeclocks are poorly designed and/or cheaply made. They go down and need to be replaced every few months leaving you with having to manually key in employee times. They know this is a problem yet will not agree to you having a back time clock unless you pay for it.
Paychex Flex is well suited for smaller or less complex businesses with less than 250 employees who for the most part has basic processing and reporting needs. For larger companies with multiple contracts and accrual dates; companies that need to clock in and out from mobile site or through web punching; or if you need more than basic reporting needs, Paychex Flex is simply not capable of meeting your needs.
Read Cynthia Harris's full review
Andraya Yousfi profile photo
November 29, 2018

Paychex Flex Review: "Experienced Retirement Platform - Good management, cumbersome platform"

• The automatic 401k management tool- I got a great return and the fees were minimal
  • Simple process to access your funds or get a loan
  • The ability to log in online and manage your account
  • It would be great if there was an online financial planning components, questionnaires that help you set targets and goals and a dashboard that showed you if you were on trqck
  • A lot of paperwork needed to be completed by hand, it would have been great to have online forms so you don’t have to print, scan and email
  • The overall online platform is cumbersome. It’s not easy to navigate and not at all intuitive
Paychex does a lot of things other companies do (manage 401k, work hours, vacation days etc) and even though the actual work is done well- other companies do it in a cleaner, more user-friendly way. When I was using Paychex it felt very dated and I was glad to switch systems.
Read Andraya Yousfi's full review
Jeff Looby, CPA profile photo
November 14, 2018

Paychex Flex Review: "Worth the extra cost to many SMEs"

Paychex Flex addresses payroll and benefits administration for companies.
  • Scalability
  • Strong user interface
  • Live support
  • Flexibility
  • Price
  • Interface styling
  • Reports whose look and functionality are customizable instead of simply the data
Paychex Flex is best suited for a small and medium sized enterprise ("SME") who is growing. Paychex Flex is too robust and expensive for a small company with less than 20 or so employees. Paychex Flex will not be suitable for a large organization, especially an organization whose employees have quirky payroll needs (volatility, multiple jurisdictions, etc.).
Read Jeff Looby, CPA's full review
Kelli Ourada profile photo
November 21, 2018

User Review: "Paychex Flex is an okay tool"

• They have a lot of tools available with a one point log in
  • It's great to be able to go to one spot to do benefits, payroll, etc
  • The people/payroll piece is user friendly
  • There aren't a ton of options to create out of the box/personalized functionality
  • There isn't one point of contact, subject matter expert who can help with what portal to do certain actions in
  • Often times customer service isn't super responsive
It's suited really well for a payroll system. The HRIS functionality could definitely use some help.
Read Kelli Ourada's full review
November 14, 2018

User Review: "Paychex Flex: Lightweight, easy to use"

Is it being used by a department or across the whole organization?

What business problems does it address?
  • The app notifies you when your paystub is available. It is then accessible on both the App as well as the browser based application.
  • It automatically implements two factor authorization using your phone number on file as soon as it recognizes that you're logging in from a different device or IP address.
  • I know other platforms like Paylocity also offer similar functionalities, but I've used both. My wife currently uses Paylocity at her job. The platform is just clunky. Paychex feels lighter, more agile, and just easier to use from an end user standpoint.
  • Within my version of Flex (unsure if it is available at a different tier or enabled/disabled within the admin side), I don't have the ability to change my paycheck distribution. I have a set amount that goes to my personal account and part that goes to a joint account. My insurance is changing 1/1/19 and I need to modify those values. I can't seem to do this within the UI, so I need to contact my accounting/payroll department to do this instead of doing it in the app. Paylocity offers this feature.
I would say that it's completely great for simple things. Accessing your paystubs, looking at your current information, verifying easy changes like address, name changes, etc.. that works great. I would say that Paychex feels limited with it's functionality on the end user side, however it isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you're trying to stay lean and light for a system, I'd highly recommend it. If you need more in depth functionality from a payroll system, it seems like other solutions would be better.
Ricky Small profile photo
April 11, 2018

Paychex Flex Review: "PayChex? No thanks."

We switched over to Paychex Flex a few months ago. It was being used across the whole organization as an HR solution and for Payroll. The business problems it was supposed to address didn't overcome the business problems it caused, namely there was a need for something that was easy to use from both an HR standpoint and also from a user standpoint. From a user standpoint, I can say that it didn't meet some of the most basic needs, with one of them being that no matter what we checked or how we set up our account, we were required to re-verify using a texted verification code every single time we tried to log in.
  • As a user, and not an HR professional, I can't speak to what it did well. I do know that our HR team (and company as a whole) was not pleased with it as a whole since we are jumping ship
  • Check stubs were easy to locate (and print, if you fancy that)
  • Tax documents were on the main page, which worked out well for those of us who needed to find it again easily
  • Verification process that requires you to get a new code every single time that you log in.
  • Clunky UI that isn't even close to being intuitive or easy to use.
This product may be well suited for a smaller company that receives a good deal on it and has users who don't mind being inconvenienced every time they try to use it. It didn't really seem to work for us, but maybe someone out there can find value in this system?
Read Ricky Small's full review
Sheri Smallwood profile photo
April 06, 2018

User Review: "Paychex Flex - Get it!"

In my office, we use Paychex Flex for all our payroll, tax pay, and reporting. They also maintain our related records. It is used throughout the entire business. What it does for us is free up our time so we can do the job we trained for and free us from worry about compliance concerns. They take all of that off our shoulders and they do so for a reasonable price. Don't wonder if you should sign up for Paychex Flex, just do it. You will be so glad you did.
  • Paychex figures out all appropriate deductions and withholdings and processes them as required. Their deposits or payments are always exactly right and satisfy the government entity or other recipient. I don't think about it or spend any time on it.
  • We had a very unusual bonus situation arise at the end of last year. Paychex handled it easily, within the time it needed to be done, and without a hitch. They are flexible and I have found them always ready, willing, and able to help. Plus, everything Paychex does is done with a smile. It is a pleasure working with them.
  • I appreciate being able to pull up the old records and reports for my business whenever I need them. I also like that my accountant can access the information he needs directly without my involvement.
  • I would love to see a really super simple format or program that allows me to use Paychex's website without difficulty. I am often confused and unable to get the information I need without a lot of effort. I struggle to follow their instructional videos and wind up wasting a lot of time or just giving up.
I have found Paychex Flex is well suited to the whole range of businesses and operations. I have not run into any setting in which it is not appropriate. One place I have been especially glad I have Paychex Flex is in wage withholding for child support and garnishments. Both scenarios can be daunting, but Paychex handles them easily. I appreciate knowing I am always in compliance.
Read Sheri Smallwood's full review
Joretta Fletcher profile photo
February 12, 2018

Paychex Flex Review: "By using Paychex, all you "have got to lose" is your frustration with payroll!"

We use it to download our bimonthly payroll reports as well as our quarterly and end of year reports. It makes it very easy to access and review our payroll information. Paychex is very thorough about their systems and information, so I'm sure that there are many functions of the system that I have not even used yet!
  • Paycheck makes every aspect of payroll easy.
  • The Paychex online reports system is very easy to use!
  • I appreciate that Paychex keeps up on all the new tax tables and labor laws.
  • I don't have any suggestions for improvement for Paychex. They are doing a great job!
Paychex is great for anyone who has employees and needs to do payroll. Whether you have 1, 100, or 1000 employees, Paychex will take care of all of your payroll requirements.
Read Joretta Fletcher's full review
Rhonda Rader profile photo
December 21, 2017

Paychex Flex Review: "Accountants one stop for all their clients"

Paychex Flex has consolidated all our clients who utilize Paychex for their payroll needs. We are able to access our client's data and reports which allow us to assist them with accurate tax return and financial statement preparation. It saves us time as we don't have to contact the client, wait for the client to print or download necessary reports then send the reports to us. Since we have immediate access to the records we can customize necessary reports and have omitted "lost in translation" issues we've experienced when clients misunderstand what we are asking for.
  • Provides a central location to access all clients. We don't have to worry about multiple logins.
  • We have immediate access to reports and live payroll data to assist our client in planning.
  • We are able to assist our clients with payroll processing when necessary.
  • We have immediate access to reports and can customize reports to gather data needed for tax return and/or financial statement preparation.
  • The only con I've encountered is learning the new location of certain items.
We normally give the clients several choices with payroll processing. Some have had previous bad experiences with a particular payroll service.
Read Rhonda Rader's full review
Darla Shaw profile photo
April 04, 2018

User Review: "Paychex Flex is a Great Product!"

Paychex Flex is currently being used in many aspects of our company. We use it for Time and Attendance, Payroll, COBRA, New Hire Reporting, some aspects of our benefits, etc.

Paychex has been very useful with streamlining many of our processes.
  • The payroll processing is extremely streamlined and easy to use.
  • I would like to see an easier way to do a check calculator for an employee that would like to know how their pay would be affected if they changed their withholdings, benefits, etc.
  • I would like to see a way to customize payroll reports and be able to build a report with items that I can select to show on the report.
Overall, Paychex Flex is a great product and I would recommend it to fellow colleagues.
Read Darla Shaw's full review
Jenna Mullikin profile photo
March 12, 2018

User Review: "Paychex Flex is great!"

We use Paychex Flex to address all payroll solutions company-wide in multiple states.
  • Ease of Use
  • Customer service
  • HR Compliance
  • Changing payroll after submission--15 mins is not nearly long enough
Paychex is great for all payroll functions
Read Jenna Mullikin's full review
June 07, 2018

Paychex Flex Review: "Have the rep give it in writing, Paychex isn't what they claim"

Paychex Flex is used as our employee database and payroll processor. I made the switch from ADP RUN to Paychex Flex after being told we would save money and have a seamless transition. The switch was a nightmare. There was miscommunication between their departments through the whole implementation process. I was given an implementation specialist that was always busy and that set me up with my dedicated rep without letting me know who it was. I reached out to the implementation specialist and received an email from someone else. Doesn't seem like a big deal but this is one example of how the whole process has run from the beginning. A lot of small errors have led to big frustration and I miss ADP RUN and their customer service. The reports I was promised would be comparable to ADP are anything but.
  • The interface used during payroll is user friendly.
  • Paychex uses Stratustime as their integrated timekeeping system. The two systems don't talk to each other for time off. If I adjust something in one system I have to go in and adjust in the other so that pay stubs match what employees see on their time off screen.
  • Pay stubs aren't found under each employee. If an employee asks for a months worth of pay stubs I have to go into reports and pull up each payroll and find their pay stub from the bulk PDF of all employee pay stubs.
I think Paychex would work well for companies with fewer than 10 employees. My sales rep said most of the problems we ran into were due to the fact he never worked with an account so big. We only have 42 employees.
December 28, 2017

Paychex Flex Review: "New User but Gaining Experience"

We use Paychex Flex across our organization for payroll, HR, Hiring, and Benefits. Paychex is keeping all of our business needs in one central location so that it's easier to find.
  • Easy access to viewing your personal paycheck records.
  • Easy to use to process payroll.
  • Easy access to personnel records.
  • The Paychex products don't seem to individually be able to interact very well. It would be nice to be able to move records from one section to the other instead of having to download and then re-upload files.
It is very well-suited for processing payroll. This is a strong area for Paychex as it is one of the simpler systems to use.
December 21, 2017

Paychex Flex Review: "Paychex"

We have offices in multiple states and Paychex helps ensure all of our state tax filings are accurate and timely. We also rely on Paychex to manage and report paid time off, benefits, and our employees appreciate having online access to their payroll information and company documents. We save so much time with this solution.
  • Easy reporting
  • Manage benefits all in one place
  • Quick and easy processing of payroll
  • N/A
Works well for our small business of roughly 50 employees
Erin Sutter profile photo
October 13, 2017

"Paychex Flex Review"

I use Paychex Flex to process payroll for the non-profit organization that I work for. Paychex Flex allows me to submit payroll, update employee information (everything from contact information to withholding and tax information), and keep up to-date with payroll taxes. Our accountants use Paychex Flex when reviewing our books, and employees have access to their paystubs and W-2s through Paychex Flex.
  • It is easy to use!
  • Before you submit payroll, you can run a report to easily check that you have entered everything correctly. This feature has been invaluable.
  • Peace of mind when it comes to taxes. Paychex withholds all the appropriate taxes for both the employee and employer and then files them when the appropriate government entries. Our business is located in Ohio, which has a complex tax structure including both state and local taxes. Paychex has saved me so much time and stress.
  • I have been impressed by the customer service. I have a dedicated payroll specialist who I can contact with any questions I have. She has always been very helpful any time I have had weird situations or questions.
  • I wish that Paychex Flex tracked pay increases. That is the only thing that I liked better about our previous payroll provider. Our previous payroll provider had a tab that showed an employee's pay history and the date of each raise.
Overall, I have been very pleased with Paychex as a company and their online platform, Paychex Flex. I have the peace of mind that our payroll is in capable hands.

Complex Ohio taxes aside, our payroll is pretty simple. We are under 20 employees and most of them are salaried. I know that Paychex Flex is able to handle much more complex payroll runs, but I do not have personal experience with this.
Read Erin Sutter's full review
Daniel Miles profile photo
October 13, 2017

Paychex Flex Review: "PayForward with Paychex!"

It is used as an HR tool for our entire office. As a small company, it helps manage payroll, benefits, 401(k), PTO, Flexible Spending Account, and so much more! Since we are part of the Paychex PEO system, it is a delightful tool that helps with all of our staff's needs.
  • Easy online access
  • High level of privacy and protection
  • Great customer service
  • Not all the information is available.
  • There can be some issues upon first enrollment.
  • The way windows are organized can be tough to get around.
I think this is a great tool that can be used by small to mid-sized companies. Perhaps larger companies could use it, but I am not sure if it would be too cumbersome for the company to manage. It is an opportunity to take some of the stress and responsibility off of the person in charge of all HR matters.
Read Daniel Miles's full review
Chris Strohfeldt profile photo
October 09, 2017

Paychex Flex Review: "Simple solution for complex problems"

It is used to keep up to date with payroll taxes, accounting for staff time to cost centres and generally managing payments to staff. Previously the information now available on one screen would have to be sourced, collated and prepped before the review process. This was lengthy and cumbersome.
  • I like the payroll journal which allows us to see what was paid to whom.
  • We can accurately track payments made for payroll taxes.
  • Simple and easy to understand formats make review and management a cinch.
  • Not sure that this is a flex issue but there is no import feature into QuickBooks. The data has to be manually entered.
For small business with limited HR resources Paychex is simply fabulous. Previously, a considerable amount of time and effort was expended in payroll functions and accounting processes involved around payroll. This is now taken over and the process is simple, easy and quick. The staff at Paychex are superb, knowledgeable and extraordniarily obliging in their willingness to assist.
Read Chris Strohfeldt's full review
Alexis Olson profile photo
October 06, 2017

"Paychex Flex Review"

We are currently using Paychex flex across the organization. It has been a great tool for the managers and employees. The managers like the various alert settings they can set up for their team members. Us administrators enjoy that we can tailor the individual account settings to allow as much or as little access as is necessary. Our employees enjoy that they can make adjustments and retrieve their information when they need it.

The major problem that we have encountered is the occasional blip in the feed. We also use the HR and Benetrac system and while one system is supposed to feed, that does not always happen and we end up with issues.
  • Account management - When we need assistance we receive a response very promptly and issues are handled usually within an hour.
  • Customer Service - Representatives are always pleasant and easy to work with.
  • Product ease of use - Paychex is extremely user-friendly and intuitive.
  • Information feed - Errors occur between reporting from product to product.
Paychex is great for any company regardless of size. Before implementing, make sure you have your specifics hashed out.
Read Alexis Olson's full review
Katya Maiser, PHR and CP profile photo
February 16, 2017

"Review of Paychex Flex for 60 employees, an HR perspective"

I am the HR manager for a small high tech company and I manage payroll. We use Paychex Flex for processing payroll and reporting, plus employee access for online pay stubs, time off balances and 401(k)s. It is an easy and seamless process. I previously used Preview a similar but outdated Paychex payroll system and this was a good upgrade. I will tell you that there was some functionality that we lost but overall I am pleased with the product.
  • Easy access for employees from a PC or any mobile device
  • Viewing documents like pay stubs, W2s, and retirement services
  • You can make easy 401k election changes and loans (though the loans may be too easy!)
  • I have 4 employees who require a paper pay stub and refuse to go online to get it. Paychex Flex is rigid so you cannot selectively tell it who to provide pay stubs ... I have to get pay stubs for all employees and then shred all but the 4 who require it. Some would say to just force the change but there are several senior managers who just will not and I cannot force them. Preview had this functionality and I've asked about 8 times over the last 2 years and the answer is still the same "it's being added" but no timeline has been made public.
  • I administer the company 401k plan and I do not get any notifications that employees have changed their elections or initiated loans. Though not absolutely necessary, it would be helpful for me to know these things in advance. I've asked and been told that there is no ability to do this.
  • We have custom requirements for tracking PTO that Paychex cannot accommodate. It is A LOT of work to manage these customizations. Paychex does well when your program fits neatly into their little boxes but if you need something more, it's rigid and you have to devise a workaround.
I have been pleased overall with the Paychex Flex platform and its functionality. The only exceptions are the three that I have mentioned. We have 60 employees and salespersons from other payroll organizations have said that we are too big for Paychex's platform but I have not at all found that to be the case.
Read Katya Maiser, PHR and CP's full review
Carina Stewart profile photo
December 20, 2016

Paychex Flex Review: "Why go anywhere else?"

We use Paychex Flex for all our payroll needs - anything from weekly payroll to help with year end stuff to 401(k) and everything in between.
  • Integrating new employees. I give Paychex the info on the new employee and voila...done.
  • Paychex Flex employs some incredible people ( capable and knowledgeable0. Paychex does a great job giving their employees the tools to help the customer.
  • Courtesy and professionalism is top!
  • Only one thing comes to mind. Whenever my regular (wonderful) payroll specialist is out, the replacement does not seem to know my special needs. Perhaps a little interoffice communication would be helpful to keep things running smoothly.
I am extremely happy with Paychex. My mind is at ease and I can concentrate on other things, knowing that at least the payroll part of our business is in capable hands.
Read Carina Stewart's full review
April 21, 2017

Review: "Paychex Flex: Good start for a payroll novice."

Paychex Flex is being used to manage our payroll and our 401K profit sharing plan. The programs help with paying our employees, keeping track of their time off, and helps employees contribute to their 401K plans.
  • Time Entry - No need to enter the exact time an employee punched in and out for each day work. All you have to do is enter the total hours (regular, OT, any time off).
  • Pre-processing reports - After you enter your payroll, you can view a pre-processed report to confirm that you entered the information correctly. You can view it as a PDF.
  • Layout - All of the features are laid out in a tile format. You can also access features on the side of the screen for easier access.
  • Real-time changes - If I were to change an employee's time off balance for any reason, I can change it and it will take effect on the moment I click save. No more waiting for the next pay period for the balance to adjust.
  • Paperless checks - You can go paperless when it comes to distributing checks (for those who use direct deposit). However, there's no way for each employee to decide if he/she wants a check or not. It's an all or nothing proposition.
Paychex Flex is well suited to easily conduct payroll entry and processing. Very simple to use for a payroll novice.
February 24, 2017

User Review: "It pays to understand Paychex Flex"

Paychex Flex helps organize our company's tax documents, retirement plans and provides a timeline of our pay stubs. It is used by our entire company. It allows you to conveniently pull up your W2 if you need an additional copy. For retirement plans, it clearly lays out the funds you're investing in that's easy to navigate and manage.
  • Clear layout for easy navigation.
  • Organizes your retirement funds to easily refer back to and manage/change if needed.
  • Provides a timeline of all payroll with dates - very helpful if you need to verify dates.
  • We use paychex.com, which I believe is separate from paychex flex. Wish there was a combined site for both attributes. We use paychex.com to manage our PTO requests.
  • Doesn't provide all paystub history; appears that it only provides the most recent transactions. Would be nice if they had it organized with all previous payments.
  • Better communication with the individual. There are messages that are posted on paychex flex that I would have no idea about if I didn't occasionally sign on.
It's useful for some basic company organization needs (payroll, retirement, benefits). If it could be combined such that it encompasses other features, like PTO requests, then you would not have to visit different sites - would be nice to have it all combined.
February 16, 2017

User Review: "Whimpy Paychex Flex"

We currently use Paychex for HRIS Management and Payroll across the whole organization. It has good customer support. Their account managers really take a lot of the burden off our company when it comes to running payroll and figuring out benefits administration.
  • Payroll administration
  • Process UI benefits
  • Benefits administration
  • Hard to run reports
  • You have to track pretty much all HR-related tasks yourself: keeping track of documents, time off, setting up new hires
  • Running payroll can become complicated
The software is easy to understand and navigate. Implementation specialists are very good, they have a sense of urgency that keeps you on track. Reports are good, not the best.
Katrina Godsey profile photo
April 14, 2016

Paychex Flex Review: "Run, Don't Walk from Paychex"

We made the switch from Paychex Preview to Paychex Flex in October of 2015. We use Paychex for ESR, FSA, Time and Attendence, Payroll, HRIS and employee self-service. We were encouraged to switch to their new cloud based solution after experiencing ongoing issues with the functionality of these systems as integrated under Preview.
  • User Interface is better than Preview and the previous "landing page" system.
  • Payroll is simplified and would make processing easier for a novice provided there were no problems.
  • Their ESR reporting is a NIGHTMARE. Despite starting the process in November and sending them their own forms correctly filled out more than 13 times, the information was not imported correctly into their system until the very last minute of March 14th the following year.
  • There is no employee self-service option with Flex. Despite being the "newer, better" product our employees cannot even change their addresses themselves.
  • Customer service is hit or miss. We have one rep who is absolutely fantastic the rest are either unreachable, untrained or completely absent.
We have 92 employees and I cannot imagine having to deal with a larger company. Perhaps smaller companies of >50 would be more manageable.
Read Katrina Godsey's full review

Employee demographic data (15)
Employment history (14)
4.7
Job profiles and administration (9)
5.0
Workflow for transfers, promotions, pay raises, etc. (13)
4.5
Organizational charting (1)
Organization and location management (10)
3.5
Compliance data (COBRA, OSHA, etc.) (11)
6.5
Pay calculation (24)
Benefit plan administration (15)
Direct deposit files (21)
Salary revision and increment management (17)
Reimbursement management (8)
6.1
Approval workflow (8)
Balance details (9)
Annual carry-forward and encashment (9)
View and generate pay and benefit information (21)
Update personal information (17)
View company policy documentation (8)
6.4
View job history (12)
4.8
Tracking of all physical assets (2)
4.2
Report builder (11)
4.3
Pre-built reports (12)
4.4
Ability to combine HR data with external data (7)
5.8
New hire portal (10)
4.4
Manager tracking tools (9)
5.6
Job Requisition Management (2)
Company Website Posting (2)
Publish to Social Media (2)
Job Search Site Posting (2)
Duplicate Candidate Prevention (2)
Applicant Tracking (2)
Notifications and Alerts (4)

About Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex is a complete enterprise payroll and human capital management solution. It includes robust efficiency and customizable options. The vendor says its end-to-end technology aims to put the user's people at its core. Utilizing a single platform and a single data profile for every employee, this software promises real-time accuracy with every application.

Used by both small businesses and worldwide enterprises, Paychex Flex provides the following to help users manage their workforce data:
• Recruiting and Applicant Tracking
• Hiring and Onboarding
• HR Information Systems
• Health Insurance Management
• Benefits Administration
• Time & Attendance
• Payroll Administration
• Retirement Services
Paychex Flex can be tailored to fit the user's company’s needs and goals. The vendor also offers 24/7 live support.

Mobile optimization allows for on-the-go options—giving users access to all of their Paychex information through apps for both iPhone and Android-powered smartphones and tablets.