Paychex Flex Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Craig West profile photo
We are a small business of approximately 30 employees. We have a human resource department that uses Paychex Flex to assist them in onboarding new employees. We also use Paychex Flex to keep track of time cards. Paychex Flex is also used for Human Resource management where they alert us to any changes in the laws.
  • An updated interface.
  • A robust list of reports and analytics.
  • Sending W2's out at the end of the year.
  • Time and attendance apps and check-in option where it will tag when a person arrived without clocking them out.
  • Easy to adjust missing punches for those out in the field.
  • The Paycheck Flex App is separate from the paycheck Time app for punching in the clock - It would be nice to see them working together a little more efficiently.
  • They have representatives and the quality of service you receive can greatly vary depending on who you are assigned to. This can be annoying and frustrating as you don't always know who to contact.
  • It can take a while to get off the ground.
It is suited for a small to medium-sized company and for those who have outside employees who require punching in. The time clock is great for keeping track of those out in the field. They also send out W2's and can be a time saver. They will also send updated Posters and will help you write your company employee handbook. They will automatically deposit employee's checks, and if needed, will send a check directly to be given to the employee.
Read Craig West's full review
Cynthia Harris profile photo
Paychex Flex is being used by the HR, Payroll and Operations Departments. We came to Paychex Flex after many struggles with ADP Workforce Now chaos of tracking problems with ticket #'s, the overwhelming misinformation and their accountability for that information from their Representatives, which just created a ton of extra work for us. We were promised that Paychex Flex was one seamless system that was full integrated with all its platforms. That is not the case but we were happy with the time and attendance time off online system for requesting and approving time off and the ease in processing payroll adjustments. We needed mobile access for our employees to punch in/out at multiple off-site locations. and Paychex Flex offered that. We needed a better way of meeting our ACA obligations, and Paychex Flex offered that as well. Their Support teams are very knowledgeable and we don't have to keep track of ticket #'s to follow up on open items being reviewed.
  • Addressing your problems/questions. Their team is very knowledgeable and are capable of addressing your problems usually within the call or within a reasonable time if you shoot them an email.
  • ACA - once you understand what is required to obtain accurate reports you are blessed with the results at year end.
  • Setting up new Voluntary Deductions/Garnishments, Direct Deposits, Rate and Address changes even while processing an active payroll is super easy and everything takes effect immediately with the exception of W4/State/City tax changes that are not permitted during an active payroll.
  • Seeing a payroll breakdown gross to net while still in the processing stages of payroll has proved to be very convenient and helpful.
  • Reports. If you can manage with their many standard reports you're good to go, but customization of reports is truly lacking. To get a "special" report created for you usually takes a week, and you never speak to the person creating the report (they are shielded by this tall wall of mystery.) There is a lot of back and forth with your Payroll Rep to get it done the way you need it, and even then you are usually settling for the best they can do.
  • No true seamless integration. Their platforms do not communicate as they promise so you find that you need to go to multiple platforms to get all your information in. You will even need to go to different areas within the platform to get a new hire added, for instance.
  • You will hear a lot that Paychex Flex is not capable of doing something which means you have to figure it out since you still need what you need.
  • Their Geo-fencing and web punching have multiple ongoing issues. Since Paychex will only deal with a select group of people in your organization, those select people become inundated with having to deal with the systems technical issues, getting screenshots, emailing and responding between Paychex and the employee to troubleshoot throughout the fix. You in essence become their support team instead of you having a support team that will speak to the employee to fix the problems.
  • Their revolutionary Fingerprint Scanning Timeclocks are poorly designed and/or cheaply made. They go down and need to be replaced every few months leaving you with having to manually key in employee times. They know this is a problem yet will not agree to you having a back time clock unless you pay for it.
Paychex Flex is well suited for smaller or less complex businesses with less than 250 employees who for the most part has basic processing and reporting needs. For larger companies with multiple contracts and accrual dates; companies that need to clock in and out from mobile site or through web punching; or if you need more than basic reporting needs, Paychex Flex is simply not capable of meeting your needs.
Read Cynthia Harris's full review
Judy Katzel, APR profile photo
October 04, 2019

Perfect for any company

I use Paychex Flex for payroll. As a small business owner, the last thing I want to be responsible for is getting the intricacies of payroll correct: tax withholdings, payments to the state and federal government, etc. There are very few options for small operations like mine with one or two true employees (and a number of independent contractors). Paychex Flex is perfect for my business!
  • Ability to change payroll amounts easily, just a few days prior to processing.
  • Ability to handle payroll for companies with only 1-2 employees.
  • Strong in-person/phone support.
  • Easy-to-use online access to payroll information.
  • It's difficult to see on the dashboard what I've actually paid Paychex for. This is information I need at tax time and it's difficult to tease out.
I'm probably not a "desired" customer, because I'm too small, but Paychex treats me like a valued and important customer, so I'm very loyal.
Read Judy Katzel, APR's full review
Amy Moosbrugger profile photo
September 30, 2019

Easy to Use

We are a small to medium size company and use it primarily for payroll. As the head of HR, it is extremely beneficial and easy to use. My payroll rep. is very easy to work with and I have not had any issues with her. I do wish that changing payroll reps would not occur as often as it has, because the new rep. has to learn about us all over again, but otherwise that is my only issue.
  • Payroll is Easy
  • Payroll Rep. is great to work with
  • Lays out the paycheck clearly to employees
  • Less changing of payroll reps
The whole setup process takes awhile, but once set up and practiced a few times, it is easy to get the hang of how it works.
Read Amy Moosbrugger's full review
Kenda Haines profile photo
We use this in production and human resources. It has streamlined our employee clocking in and out process and managing overtime better. It has also given us a way to schedule our employees for the workweek and have it streamlined with payroll. That has saved us a lot of clerical work.
  • Set up parameters for employees' time worked.
  • It makes time and attendance tracking simple.
  • It allows us to manage attendance writeups more effectively.
  • More streamlined human resource management.
  • Simpler employee scheduling functionality.
Paychex Flex is great for any company managing human resources in-house. We were using an outside source (Professional employment organization) for many years. When we brought it in house, we implemented Paychex Flex and it allowed us to manage human resources well from the beginning. Time and attendance and payroll are the best features that helped us save time and clerical work.
Read Kenda Haines's full review
Megan LeRoy profile photo
October 23, 2019

Great product!

We are using Paychex Flex for all our human resource needs including hiring, time and attendance, payroll, etc. It is helping our organization streamline our department for our employees.
  • Very accessible to all our employees.
  • Quick support!
  • User-friendly.
  • Always innovating to make things easier.
  • Making it easier to transition a company with more complex PTO policies.
  • Communication on implementation.
  • Geo-mapping for timeclocks (businesses with more than one location).
Paychex Flex is great for any organization transitioning to more technology and an 'all-in-one' software!
Read Megan LeRoy's full review
October 29, 2019

Good for small business

We use it for payroll only, but with a time cock interlocked. We are a small business and this works great at our level.

Took a little bit to get everything running smoothly, but after that no issues or problems.
  • Time and Attendance interchanges into the payroll module really simply.
  • The transition between T&A and Flex is really quick.
  • The new grid is always on basic, but basic doesn't work for me. I made my own grid but have to choose it every time, it's not automatic.
  • Any changes I make do not go into effect until next paycheck, even if you want it to go through some things just won't be immediate.
Paychex Flex works well with time and attendance integration. Just some minor tweaking when you come from a different payroll platform.
Paychex Flex is being used throughout the agency. It is an upgrade from an older version of Paychex that our company used for several years. The main reason we decided to upgrade the software is that we wanted to implement the use of electronic timesheets and eliminate any kind of paper forms.
  • Very user-friendly.
  • Web-based to offer easy access regardless of location.
  • Convenient.
  • Has permitted our agency to ensure that our payroll process was as efficient as possible.
  • Good customer service - our representative is always available when needed and provides the help and support we need.
  • It allows easy transfer of data into our accounting software.
  • Good training during implementation - little to no down time.
  • Easy transition from the old system.
  • The timesheet approval process is not very convenient - Our staff has to go to different screens to complete their approval, which results in timesheets not being approved and slowing down the payroll process.
  • Time off approval - not very convenient either. The manager has to look for it and unless they are prompted by their staff, they won't know that there is a request that needs to be approved.
  • Would like to see e-mails sent anytime an action is required.
We currently have 140 employees. It is well suited for a company that size. The implementation process was very easy and did not disrupt our day to day operations. It is also very easy to learn. The training process and support are great! It took less than an hour of turn around time from our representative when we sent her a question.
Our company primarily uses Paychex Flex to process weekly payroll. However we are branching out to use for benefits administration, training and development, and leave tracking. Using the software in a multi-purpose platform allows us a centralized and accurate source of employee and accounting information.
  • Creating custom financial reports.
  • Summarizing employee earnings.
  • Maintaining historical payroll detail data.
  • The ability to access history for accounts that are inactive.
  • More options for employee information, census, and detail reports.
  • A more condensed format for payroll entry.
  • The ability to modify/add/delete payroll and deduction categories.
The software allows for ease of use when it comes to running payroll and reports for a smaller to mid-sized company. However, it doesn't seem to have all the elements necessary to meet the demand of a larger organization.
September 28, 2019

Try before you buy

We currently use Paychex Flex for our payroll and timekeeping across our whole organization. It allows us to record and manage timekeeping requirements.
  • Timekeeping.
  • Payroll processing.
  • Reports are not always easy to customize and require interaction from time support. We used to have a dedicated representative now we have a "team" which is basically Paychex's way of maximizing employees. Their service is not what it used to be and whenever we ask for assistance in running reports etc, they come back with how to do it instead of doing it as asked. We pay for the premier service package and that service has gone downhill. I would like to start over and choose another service but making that switch is a nightmare.
Paychex Flex has fine payroll and timekeeping features, but other services are more robust and have better reporting to offer.
My payroll manager and I use Paychex Flex. It allows us to access payroll reports on demand.
  • It allows me to create custom reports.
  • It allows me to zero in on any payroll aspect.
  • I would like to have more drop down options for details on how to use certain fields.
I like Paychex Flex as I can use it at my desk, or on the go from my phone.
Andraya Yousfi profile photo
We used Paychex to manage our retirement account and switched to a different company in January 2018. I thought the automatic management component in Paychex was awesome, I got a great return on my 401k. The loan process was also super easy to manage. The online management platform was horrible. Other companies (as well as our new one) have lots of planning tools - graphs, charts/visual dashboards to help you plan your retirement and see if you are on track. The Paychex platform may have had those tools but it was cumbersome and not user friendly
  • The automatic 401k management tool- I got a great return and the fees were minimal
  • Simple process to access your funds or get a loan
  • The ability to log in online and manage your account
  • It would be great if there was an online financial planning components, questionnaires that help you set targets and goals and a dashboard that showed you if you were on trqck
  • A lot of paperwork needed to be completed by hand, it would have been great to have online forms so you don’t have to print, scan and email
  • The overall online platform is cumbersome. It’s not easy to navigate and not at all intuitive
Paychex does a lot of things other companies do (manage 401k, work hours, vacation days etc) and even though the actual work is done well- other companies do it in a cleaner, more user-friendly way. When I was using Paychex it felt very dated and I was glad to switch systems.
Read Andraya Yousfi's full review
Jeff Looby, CPA profile photo
I always recommend that Paychex Flex be used across the whole organization. There are two reasons for this recommendation. First, Paychex Flex has inherent scalability that would be frankly wasted if not deployed across the whole organization. Second, Paychex Flex is relatively expensive compared to other entry-level payroll and human resources software solutions so it makes sense to spread those costs across as much of the organization as possible.

Paychex Flex addresses payroll and benefits administration for companies.
  • Scalability
  • Strong user interface
  • Live support
  • Flexibility
  • Price
  • Interface styling
  • Reports whose look and functionality are customizable instead of simply the data
Paychex Flex is best suited for a small and medium sized enterprise ("SME") who is growing. Paychex Flex is too robust and expensive for a small company with less than 20 or so employees. Paychex Flex will not be suitable for a large organization, especially an organization whose employees have quirky payroll needs (volatility, multiple jurisdictions, etc.).
Read Jeff Looby, CPA's full review
Kelli Ourada profile photo
We use Paychex Flex as our HRIS system and payroll. We also user their benefits administration system. It is used by accounting and human resources for the most part but every employee has an account and can look at their paystubs and do their benefits enrollment through this portal.
  • They have a lot of tools available with a one point log in
  • It's great to be able to go to one spot to do benefits, payroll, etc
  • The people/payroll piece is user friendly
  • There aren't a ton of options to create out of the box/personalized functionality
  • There isn't one point of contact, subject matter expert who can help with what portal to do certain actions in
  • Often times customer service isn't super responsive
It's suited really well for a payroll system. The HRIS functionality could definitely use some help.
Read Kelli Ourada's full review
Is it being used by a department or across the whole organization?
At this point in time, the company has completed it's merger; however, there are still certain platforms that have not yet been unified. At the moment, Paychex Flex is still being used by my 'side' of the merger at ExactBid (although EDR is the new umbrella brand). This encompasses all departments within ExactBid, but does not encompass EDRs legacy employees.

What business problems does it address?
We use Paychex Flex for payroll as well as delivery of our tax documentation for the year.
  • The app notifies you when your paystub is available. It is then accessible on both the App as well as the browser based application.
  • It automatically implements two factor authorization using your phone number on file as soon as it recognizes that you're logging in from a different device or IP address.
  • I know other platforms like Paylocity also offer similar functionalities, but I've used both. My wife currently uses Paylocity at her job. The platform is just clunky. Paychex feels lighter, more agile, and just easier to use from an end user standpoint.
  • Within my version of Flex (unsure if it is available at a different tier or enabled/disabled within the admin side), I don't have the ability to change my paycheck distribution. I have a set amount that goes to my personal account and part that goes to a joint account. My insurance is changing 1/1/19 and I need to modify those values. I can't seem to do this within the UI, so I need to contact my accounting/payroll department to do this instead of doing it in the app. Paylocity offers this feature.
I would say that it's completely great for simple things. Accessing your paystubs, looking at your current information, verifying easy changes like address, name changes, etc.. that works great. I would say that Paychex feels limited with it's functionality on the end user side, however it isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you're trying to stay lean and light for a system, I'd highly recommend it. If you need more in depth functionality from a payroll system, it seems like other solutions would be better.
Paychex Flex is used as our employee database and payroll processor. I made the switch from ADP RUN to Paychex Flex after being told we would save money and have a seamless transition. The switch was a nightmare. There was miscommunication between their departments through the whole implementation process. I was given an implementation specialist that was always busy and that set me up with my dedicated rep without letting me know who it was. I reached out to the implementation specialist and received an email from someone else. Doesn't seem like a big deal but this is one example of how the whole process has run from the beginning. A lot of small errors have led to big frustration and I miss ADP RUN and their customer service. The reports I was promised would be comparable to ADP are anything but.
  • The interface used during payroll is user friendly.
  • Paychex uses Stratustime as their integrated timekeeping system. The two systems don't talk to each other for time off. If I adjust something in one system I have to go in and adjust in the other so that pay stubs match what employees see on their time off screen.
  • Pay stubs aren't found under each employee. If an employee asks for a months worth of pay stubs I have to go into reports and pull up each payroll and find their pay stub from the bulk PDF of all employee pay stubs.
I think Paychex would work well for companies with fewer than 10 employees. My sales rep said most of the problems we ran into were due to the fact he never worked with an account so big. We only have 42 employees.
Ricky Small profile photo
April 11, 2018

PayChex? No thanks.

We switched over to Paychex Flex a few months ago. It was being used across the whole organization as an HR solution and for Payroll. The business problems it was supposed to address didn't overcome the business problems it caused, namely there was a need for something that was easy to use from both an HR standpoint and also from a user standpoint. From a user standpoint, I can say that it didn't meet some of the most basic needs, with one of them being that no matter what we checked or how we set up our account, we were required to re-verify using a texted verification code every single time we tried to log in.
  • As a user, and not an HR professional, I can't speak to what it did well. I do know that our HR team (and company as a whole) was not pleased with it as a whole since we are jumping ship
  • Check stubs were easy to locate (and print, if you fancy that)
  • Tax documents were on the main page, which worked out well for those of us who needed to find it again easily
  • Verification process that requires you to get a new code every single time that you log in.
  • Clunky UI that isn't even close to being intuitive or easy to use.
This product may be well suited for a smaller company that receives a good deal on it and has users who don't mind being inconvenienced every time they try to use it. It didn't really seem to work for us, but maybe someone out there can find value in this system?
Read Ricky Small's full review
Sheri Smallwood profile photo
In my office, we use Paychex Flex for all our payroll, tax pay, and reporting. They also maintain our related records. It is used throughout the entire business. What it does for us is free up our time so we can do the job we trained for and free us from worry about compliance concerns. They take all of that off our shoulders and they do so for a reasonable price. Don't wonder if you should sign up for Paychex Flex, just do it. You will be so glad you did.
  • Paychex figures out all appropriate deductions and withholdings and processes them as required. Their deposits or payments are always exactly right and satisfy the government entity or other recipient. I don't think about it or spend any time on it.
  • We had a very unusual bonus situation arise at the end of last year. Paychex handled it easily, within the time it needed to be done, and without a hitch. They are flexible and I have found them always ready, willing, and able to help. Plus, everything Paychex does is done with a smile. It is a pleasure working with them.
  • I appreciate being able to pull up the old records and reports for my business whenever I need them. I also like that my accountant can access the information he needs directly without my involvement.
  • I would love to see a really super simple format or program that allows me to use Paychex's website without difficulty. I am often confused and unable to get the information I need without a lot of effort. I struggle to follow their instructional videos and wind up wasting a lot of time or just giving up.
I have found Paychex Flex is well suited to the whole range of businesses and operations. I have not run into any setting in which it is not appropriate. One place I have been especially glad I have Paychex Flex is in wage withholding for child support and garnishments. Both scenarios can be daunting, but Paychex handles them easily. I appreciate knowing I am always in compliance.
Read Sheri Smallwood's full review
Joretta Fletcher profile photo
We use it to download our bimonthly payroll reports as well as our quarterly and end of year reports. It makes it very easy to access and review our payroll information. Paychex is very thorough about their systems and information, so I'm sure that there are many functions of the system that I have not even used yet!
  • Paycheck makes every aspect of payroll easy.
  • The Paychex online reports system is very easy to use!
  • I appreciate that Paychex keeps up on all the new tax tables and labor laws.
  • I don't have any suggestions for improvement for Paychex. They are doing a great job!
Paychex is great for anyone who has employees and needs to do payroll. Whether you have 1, 100, or 1000 employees, Paychex will take care of all of your payroll requirements.
Read Joretta Fletcher's full review
Rhonda Rader profile photo
Paychex Flex has consolidated all our clients who utilize Paychex for their payroll needs. We are able to access our client's data and reports which allow us to assist them with accurate tax return and financial statement preparation. It saves us time as we don't have to contact the client, wait for the client to print or download necessary reports then send the reports to us. Since we have immediate access to the records we can customize necessary reports and have omitted "lost in translation" issues we've experienced when clients misunderstand what we are asking for.
  • Provides a central location to access all clients. We don't have to worry about multiple logins.
  • We have immediate access to reports and live payroll data to assist our client in planning.
  • We are able to assist our clients with payroll processing when necessary.
  • We have immediate access to reports and can customize reports to gather data needed for tax return and/or financial statement preparation.
  • The only con I've encountered is learning the new location of certain items.
We normally give the clients several choices with payroll processing. Some have had previous bad experiences with a particular payroll service.
Read Rhonda Rader's full review
Darla Shaw profile photo
Paychex Flex is currently being used in many aspects of our company. We use it for Time and Attendance, Payroll, COBRA, New Hire Reporting, some aspects of our benefits, etc.

Paychex has been very useful with streamlining many of our processes.
  • The payroll processing is extremely streamlined and easy to use.
  • I would like to see an easier way to do a check calculator for an employee that would like to know how their pay would be affected if they changed their withholdings, benefits, etc.
  • I would like to see a way to customize payroll reports and be able to build a report with items that I can select to show on the report.
Overall, Paychex Flex is a great product and I would recommend it to fellow colleagues.
Read Darla Shaw's full review
Jenna Mullikin profile photo
We use Paychex Flex to address all payroll solutions company-wide in multiple states.
  • Ease of Use
  • Customer service
  • HR Compliance
  • Changing payroll after submission--15 mins is not nearly long enough
Paychex is great for all payroll functions
Read Jenna Mullikin's full review
We use Paychex Flex across our organization for payroll, HR, Hiring, and Benefits. Paychex is keeping all of our business needs in one central location so that it's easier to find.
  • Easy access to viewing your personal paycheck records.
  • Easy to use to process payroll.
  • Easy access to personnel records.
  • The Paychex products don't seem to individually be able to interact very well. It would be nice to be able to move records from one section to the other instead of having to download and then re-upload files.
It is very well-suited for processing payroll. This is a strong area for Paychex as it is one of the simpler systems to use.
December 21, 2017

Paychex

We have offices in multiple states and Paychex helps ensure all of our state tax filings are accurate and timely. We also rely on Paychex to manage and report paid time off, benefits, and our employees appreciate having online access to their payroll information and company documents. We save so much time with this solution.
  • Easy reporting
  • Manage benefits all in one place
  • Quick and easy processing of payroll
  • N/A
Works well for our small business of roughly 50 employees
Erin Sutter profile photo
October 13, 2017

Paychex Flex Review

I use Paychex Flex to process payroll for the non-profit organization that I work for. Paychex Flex allows me to submit payroll, update employee information (everything from contact information to withholding and tax information), and keep up to-date with payroll taxes. Our accountants use Paychex Flex when reviewing our books, and employees have access to their paystubs and W-2s through Paychex Flex.
  • It is easy to use!
  • Before you submit payroll, you can run a report to easily check that you have entered everything correctly. This feature has been invaluable.
  • Peace of mind when it comes to taxes. Paychex withholds all the appropriate taxes for both the employee and employer and then files them when the appropriate government entries. Our business is located in Ohio, which has a complex tax structure including both state and local taxes. Paychex has saved me so much time and stress.
  • I have been impressed by the customer service. I have a dedicated payroll specialist who I can contact with any questions I have. She has always been very helpful any time I have had weird situations or questions.
  • I wish that Paychex Flex tracked pay increases. That is the only thing that I liked better about our previous payroll provider. Our previous payroll provider had a tab that showed an employee's pay history and the date of each raise.
Overall, I have been very pleased with Paychex as a company and their online platform, Paychex Flex. I have the peace of mind that our payroll is in capable hands.

Complex Ohio taxes aside, our payroll is pretty simple. We are under 20 employees and most of them are salaried. I know that Paychex Flex is able to handle much more complex payroll runs, but I do not have personal experience with this.
Read Erin Sutter's full review

Employee demographic data (23)
Employment history (20)
6.3
Job profiles and administration (15)
6.7
Workflow for transfers, promotions, pay raises, etc. (19)
Organizational charting (1)
Organization and location management (18)
Compliance data (COBRA, OSHA, etc.) (17)
Pay calculation (33)
Benefit plan administration (21)
Direct deposit files (30)
Salary revision and increment management (25)
Reimbursement management (13)
Approval workflow (12)
Balance details (15)
Annual carry-forward and encashment (14)
View and generate pay and benefit information (29)
Update personal information (25)
View company policy documentation (12)
View job history (16)
6.1
Tracking of all physical assets (3)
3.5
Report builder (16)
5.7
Pre-built reports (18)
6.3
Ability to combine HR data with external data (12)
New hire portal (16)
6.0
Manager tracking tools (15)
Job Requisition Management (4)
6.3
Company Website Posting (3)
4.4
Publish to Social Media (2)
Job Search Site Posting (4)
4.6
Duplicate Candidate Prevention (2)
Applicant Tracking (4)
4.6
Notifications and Alerts (7)
6.5

About Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex is a complete enterprise payroll and human capital management solution. It includes robust efficiency and customizable options. The vendor says its end-to-end technology aims to put the user's people at its core. Utilizing a single platform and a single data profile for every employee, this software promises real-time accuracy with every application.

Used by both small businesses and worldwide enterprises, Paychex Flex provides the following to help users manage their workforce data:
• Recruiting and Applicant Tracking
• Hiring and Onboarding
• HR Information Systems
• Health Insurance Management
• Benefits Administration
• Time & Attendance
• Payroll Administration
• Retirement Services
Paychex Flex can be tailored to fit the user's company’s needs and goals. The vendor also offers 24/7 live support.

Mobile optimization allows for on-the-go options—giving users access to all of their Paychex information through apps for both iPhone and Android-powered smartphones and tablets.