Optimizely is a website optimization platform, providing A/B and multivariate testing. It enables users with and without technical expertise to make dynamic changes to their websites, test the variations to live traffic and gather immediate results.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/nE/W8/NPJ6TVND0MJQ.PNGDecent optimization toolWe use Optimizely on the marketing team to run A/B and multivariate tests. Mainly we use it for splitting our traffic when testing not so much for building the actual tests themselves. The tests that we use it for are mainly to verify hypothesis around the top of our funnel acquisition flow in connection with our marketing site.,It is very easy to set up a test and split traffic to various test variations. It has a decent smart editor for tests that only involve small changes. The version that we use (Optimizely classic) has a decent amount of integration with other analysis tools.,It is way too expensive. The editor is only useful when you run a test involving small/simple changes to your pages. The support is lacking.,6,Testing has helped us increase conversion rates substantially and Optimizely has made that process a lot easier.,Pardot,Pardot, Salesforce App Cloud, Google Analytics, KissmetricsOptimizely is a great A/B testing platform. Highly recommended!Optimizely helped us in running quick experiments on our websites. We used it for A/B testing in order to understand which call to action button colors/style/text was working better and converting more users. I personally set up the experiments and did the tests. The integration part was very easy.,Easy integration Great platform for A/B testing You can start and run experiments straight from the dashboard, no need to ask developers to change anything in the code,The pricing model was hard to understand and could be improved Our website loading took longer when Optimizely code was added, would be great to see this improved/solved Getting on board was easy, but still took some time to understand the details,10,We optimized our CTA buttons and saw around 10-15% increase in signups. From negative ones - the website loading started to take longer,None,Hotjar, Buffer, Zapier, MailChimp, Trello, HubSpot CRMPlease A/B test this review!We use Optimizely for all of our A/B webpage testing across both our main website and any campaign landing pages. Only the Marketing department uses this tool. We use Optimizely to test out theories in order to see their effect on conversion rates and other relevant KPI's.,It makes it easy to set up the A/B testing parameters and allow us to focus on running multiple tests. We love the ability to exclude audiences so that the test data is as pure as possible We like the interface since its easy to see what version is "winning",There is a bit of a learning curve with the interface, it's not that intuitive day 1. You will need a web dev to help get these tests set up. It is not easy enough for a non-tech person to do.,8,It has a positive ROI overall on the organization. It has saved us from lowering our conversion rates due to the data we get from the test results.,Acquia Lift,Google Analytics Premium, Drupal, Acquia Platform, MarketoOptimizely is at the top of the listI previously used Optimizely to conduct A/B tests for our conversion landing pages. We needed to increase conversions and Optimizely has a number of features that allowed us to determine what worked best. I also used Optimizely on our main website to test out certain scenarios regarding our customer service activities.,Optimizely offers a number of great features that other testing services do not. Optimizely allows us to test within certain timeframes and in specific timezones. One of the cooler features Optimizely offers is its multivariate testing. It automates multiple tests at one time.,My biggest con is that the service is much more expensive than its competitors. There are too many tiers to the services. The basic tier, which is still pricey only gets you simple A/B tests and not all the bells and whistles. It did not allow me to extend the account to other managers in my department.,8,For my landing pages I am seeing a 6x increase in conversion rate. For ease of use, Optimizely made things happen much quicker and allowed me to manage it and not an agency. Optimizely did provide some cost savings with regard to agency expenses and once the ROI began to increase the service cost was less of a concern.,Unbounce and Visual Website Optimizer,Adobe Photoshop, Slack, Basecamp,4,4Powerful Optimization Tool -- But comes with a price.We manage multiple brands, and we choose to use Optimizely on one of them. We mainly use Optimizely on this website for testing to improve our conversion rate with simple A/B tests, and we also use Optimizely to modify messaging and sales prices on front of site when running flash sales. In a pinch, we can also use Optimizely to make hot fixes when we find errors and typos, until we can get our dev team to put a more permanent fix in for the bug.,Optimizely has a great WYSIWYG editor, very intuitive and easy to use. For more advanced users, you also have access to the raw code, which I go in frequently to clean up things that the editor may have done. I'm a huge fan of Optimizely's targeting criteria. I know that I can run tests on my site based on almost an audience I'd like. I really enjoy Optimizely's analytics and reporting. They allow you to choose which metrics you're looking for, then they have built in confidence percentages to show you at a glance how your test is running.,Optimizely used to be free, now it's pretty expensive. Luckily, my account was grandfathered in, but I really think they're making a mistake by moving to a paid-only model instead of a freemium. Sometimes there is a "flicker" when your page first loads where you can see the original page before the experience loads. Most visitors probably won't notice but it is not desirable. The reporting doesn't always match up to the same stuff I see in Google Analytics. I know there is multiple reasons that this could be happening, but it is something to keep in mind when analyzing your data.,7,Being that we are still on the free version, the return on investment has been fantastic. If we were paying for it, I'd have to take a closer look. We have seen a slight bump in our conversion rate based on changes that we made due to tests ran in Optimizely. Using Optimizely to throw up flash sales when we are slow has really helped us. Being able to announce that we are running a sale and show sale prices on front of site without needed to take up dev resources helps us a lot.,Visual Website Optimizer,Visual Website Optimizer, Asana, Google Analytics
Optimizely

Optimizely Reviews

Optimizely
Top Rated Award
Showing 73 of 238 Optimizely ratings and reviews.
December 13, 2017

Optimizely Review: "Decent optimization tool"

Pros and Cons

• It is very easy to set up a test and split traffic to various test variations.
  • It has a decent smart editor for tests that only involve small changes.
  • The version that we use (Optimizely classic) has a decent amount of integration with other analysis tools.
  • It is way too expensive.
  • The editor is only useful when you run a test involving small/simple changes to your pages.
  • The support is lacking.
Read Thue Lægdsgaard Madsen's full review
December 08, 2017

Review: "Optimizely is a great A/B testing platform. Highly recommended!"

• Easy integration
  • Great platform for A/B testing
  • You can start and run experiments straight from the dashboard, no need to ask developers to change anything in the code
  • The pricing model was hard to understand and could be improved
  • Our website loading took longer when Optimizely code was added, would be great to see this improved/solved
  • Getting on board was easy, but still took some time to understand the details
Read Tigran Hakobyan's full review
December 07, 2017

Optimizely: "Please A/B test this review!"

Pros and Cons

• It makes it easy to set up the A/B testing parameters and allow us to focus on running multiple tests.
  • We love the ability to exclude audiences so that the test data is as pure as possible
  • We like the interface since its easy to see what version is "winning"
  • There is a bit of a learning curve with the interface, it's not that intuitive day 1.
  • You will need a web dev to help get these tests set up. It is not easy enough for a non-tech person to do.
Read Brian Nizinsky's full review
January 12, 2018

User Review: "Optimizely is at the top of the list"

Pros and Cons

• Optimizely offers a number of great features that other testing services do not.
  • Optimizely allows us to test within certain timeframes and in specific timezones.
  • One of the cooler features Optimizely offers is its multivariate testing. It automates multiple tests at one time.
  • My biggest con is that the service is much more expensive than its competitors.
  • There are too many tiers to the services. The basic tier, which is still pricey only gets you simple A/B tests and not all the bells and whistles.
  • It did not allow me to extend the account to other managers in my department.
December 06, 2017

Optimizely Review: "Powerful Optimization Tool -- But comes with a price."

Pros and Cons

• Optimizely has a great WYSIWYG editor, very intuitive and easy to use. For more advanced users, you also have access to the raw code, which I go in frequently to clean up things that the editor may have done.
  • I'm a huge fan of Optimizely's targeting criteria. I know that I can run tests on my site based on almost an audience I'd like.
  • I really enjoy Optimizely's analytics and reporting. They allow you to choose which metrics you're looking for, then they have built in confidence percentages to show you at a glance how your test is running.
  • Optimizely used to be free, now it's pretty expensive. Luckily, my account was grandfathered in, but I really think they're making a mistake by moving to a paid-only model instead of a freemium.
  • Sometimes there is a "flicker" when your page first loads where you can see the original page before the experience loads. Most visitors probably won't notice but it is not desirable.
  • The reporting doesn't always match up to the same stuff I see in Google Analytics. I know there is multiple reasons that this could be happening, but it is something to keep in mind when analyzing your data.
May 04, 2017

Optimizely Review: "Great Tool for CRO Programs"

Pros and Cons

• It's simple to integrate with any website, one tag in the header and you're good to go in a few minutes!
  • The interface to set up experiments is easy to use for simple experiments, just about anyone who can use a computer can set up an experiment in the Optimizely editor.
  • Their new Stats Engine they realeased a few years back allows marketers to declare a winner sooner (with a smaller required sample size) than traditional statistics would allow.
  • While it's great they offer a free version, technical support for more difficult experiment set up is unavailable unless you are an enterprise level member.
  • Optimizely has a synchronous tag, which means it cannot be added to a website using Google Tag Manager (>90% of all sites using a TMS use GTM so this affects most users.)
  • I'm sure most of us mathletes would appreciate a more in depth explanation of the statistics used in their new Stats Engine. I did a lot of digging when it was first released and wasn't able to get answers from their support team. It's great to be able to test more rapidly but understanding the maths behind the decision engine is paramount - or your essentially flying blind.
Read Polly Harris's full review
December 16, 2016

Optimizely Review: "It's Easy as A/B/C - Experimentation Made Simple"

Pros and Cons

• Quickly and easily set up new A/B tests. Some tests can be completed in only a few minutes.
  • A robust results engine. It automatically creates segments based off URL parameters and other common criteria (new vs returning) in addition to predefined criteria you set up.
  • The support of the Optimizely implementation team and customer care is fantastic. Optimizely easily ranks as one of our best third party software vendors. They provide not just knowledge of how to use the tool, but how to build a culture around testing and experimentation within your company.
  • Acts as a great lightweight content management system for making temporary changes. We use Optimizely to make changes for 100% of traffic for controlling scheduled promotions and also bug fix patches while waiting for permanent fixes.
  • Geo-targeting for tests does not allow you to use ZIP Codes.
  • URL targeting does not have a mass upload option for lists of unrelated URLs. It does have substring and regular expression matches that cover most other needs.
  • The preview feature rarely works as expected. We run tests on a dedicated testing environment to preview and do QA.
Read Grant Wilkins's full review
October 10, 2016

Review: "Optimizely A/B Testing Delivers Results"

Pros and Cons

• Test setup is fast and easy, without using many resources.
  • Customizable metrics allow flexibility in monitoring and reporting of experiment performance.
  • Constant updates ensure that experiments run cleanly on all devices and platforms.
  • Intuitive user interface allows users to learn the platform quickly and efficiently.
  • Some rendering issues with older pages set to http: instead of https: (Optimizely is in the latter); there's a workaround that they provide, but users will need to know to look in the knowledgebase to find it.
  • Would like more baked-in metrics (e.g. time on site) and the opportunity to cross-compare different metrics (e.g. clicks as a percentage of engagement instead of visitors).
  • Occasional issues in rendering previews.
Read Andrew Weitsman's full review
April 04, 2016

Review: "Optimizely lets you test easily with low overhead."

Pros and Cons

• Test setup is easy and doesn't take a lot of company resources.
  • The impact on page speed is incredibly small.
  • The results dashboard gives great insights to how your test is performing and you can track multiple goals.
  • I'd like to see more tools comparable to Visual Website Optimizer (VWO). Like user recordings and in page analytics.
  • If you have a dynamic area of information and edit it you pose a risk to making the page templates dynamic data static across the site. Pricing is a great example of this.
Read Brynn Arego's full review
March 08, 2016

Optimizely Review: "Changed the way our front end development process worked in a great way!"

Pros and Cons

• Quick and easy test setup if you've got the html/css changes ready to go.
  • Detailed analytics, providing all sorts of quality information such as totals vs uniques.
  • Support always picks up the phone right away! Great with answering your questions and often also give suggestions on better ways to test
  • Please add more APIs for exporting data and integrate into a data warehouse so that we could perform our own analytics!
  • The Optimizely script sometimes slows page loading time.
  • It would be nice to be able to auto-pause experiments at a particular time.
Read Benjamin Himley's full review
March 21, 2016

User Review: "Optimizely and You: An A/B Love Story"

Pros and Cons

• Optimizely does fairly pain-free WYSIWYG web editing. Once the code has been implemented, it is easy to move around pieces of the website, resize and format different elements around the page. You don't need that much experience in coding to operate Optimizely, although it helps.
  • Optimizely allows the team to target and serve different pages based on UTM tags.
  • Optimizely allows unparalleled creativity in determining triggers for different pages to show. With Optimizely, you can discover the geographic location of users, reference this against the weather patterns in their area and serve a different website. This may be a particularly useful tool if your client is REI, for example. REI would benefit from showing a website optimized for cold-weather climates to cold weather climates. The same goes for more temperate and warm climates. Optimizing your website so that users find what they're looking for, convert, and stay longer is the goal. And Optimizely is a great way to start reaching that goal.
  • Perhaps in the certification exams - these seem much easier when described, but take a surprising amount of studying, especially into development specialties. It's mentioned that no developer skills are needed to pass certification, but very specific certification questions are asked regarding JavaScript, HTML, and tagging that the regular account manager or similar jobs wouldn't have knowledge of.
Read Matthew Pimenta's full review
March 18, 2016

Optimizely Review: "Its a MUST HAVE - period."

Pros and Cons

• Making quick variations on pages for testing - you can use the GUI or just whip up some jQuery so you can do more advanced tests.
  • Love the reporting/results page - once you establish real goals to measure it's just awesome.
  • At least in our network, the previews often never load - this could just be our network.
  • Having to routinely click the little shield in the address bar to load the editor is annoying - again I think this is just our network.
Read Joseph Taylor's full review
September 30, 2015

Review: "If you are wanting to improve your site, use Optimizely!"

Pros and Cons

• Their User Interface is so easy to use. You don't have to be a coder to set up a test. It's simply amazing.
  • Their support is by far the best I've ever experienced. They always pick up the phone right away and are so helpful to answer your questions and to also give suggestions on better ways to do your tests.
  • Sometimes it's a little tricky using third party jQuery plugins that we have on our site. It's not necessarily bad, but it could be better.
  • The reporting is good, but it could be more robust. Simply a data table with a time chart. Would be nice to have more of a graphical interaction for their reports.
Read Sean Cleveland's full review
September 09, 2015

User Review: "Doing it fast with Optimizely"

Pros and Cons

• Optimizely has a very intuitive interface that really makes learning to use the tool quite easy. Even a complete novice can develop and deploy simple A/B tests with minimal effort.
  • Optiverse, Optimizely's support forum, is an excellent place to learn how to take your A/B testing to the next level. I've gone from running simple copy change tests to advanced multi-page funnel testing.
  • The ability to simply modify existing pages on your site rather than recreating them and redirecting traffic has been immensely valuable and allowed us to deploy tests much faster than we did before.
  • I'm often frustrated with how hard it is to monitor results from my phone. I wish there was a mobile optimized version of the results section. I'm often travelling on the weekends and need to check on our tests via my phone. It can be done, but it's a very sub-optimal experience.
  • I wish I could see the results of all my active tests on a single dashboard. Currently you have to drill into each experiment individually. Since I sometimes have as many as 10-15 experiments running, a good part of my day is spent monitoring a ton of open tabs for each test.
  • Just nitpicking, but it would be nice to be able to reorder your experiment's goals without having to exit editing mode and return to the main projects page.
Read Jeremy Bradford's full review
August 14, 2015

User Review: "Optimizely Rocks"

Pros and Cons

• Stellar support. Every person we've worked with on the support side has been knowledgeable and super helpful. Top notch for sure, and a great attitude to go along with the support.
  • The product is so easy to use. Flexible while being user-friendly. We are able to do things quickly and easily that we could not do - even with consultant support - with competitive software.
  • Community. The online community is great - it has great content, frequently updated with lots of people contributing. Most questions can be answered by checking the online community/online support. The community manager, Amanda, rocks!
  • Reporting/exporting is a challenge if you want to report on data across multiple campaigns. This may not be an issue for some, but for us we typically have multiple test campaigns set up in support of a particular project. We compile/aggregate results manually. We have to look up/export results campaign by campaign, which is time-consuming.
  • While the product, development/engineering, support and community folks at Optimizely are rock stars, their sales folks are not. Most of the people have impressed us in so many ways - so very customer-oriented, as Optimizely tends to be as a company/brand. However, from our perspective it's felt a little like the sales folks are not even part of the same organization. Very 'traditional' salesy. :(
  • We'd like to be able to set up multiple 'projects' in Optimizely for better/easier organization. However, each project requires its own code snippet for your site(s). This precludes us from creating multiple projects, and thus it's a little unwieldy in our interface. Also, since we have so many sites and campaigns, our code snippet is much larger than we would like. This again is a symptom of our own organization, where we have many, many sites (unlike many other companies).
Read Renee Thompson's full review
August 11, 2015

User Review: "Why we're happy with Optimizely"

Pros and Cons

• The interface is extremely easy to use. If you are a novice, the WYSIWYG allows you to easily make simple changes to your site. If you are comfortable doing so there is also the code editor which is powerful enough for you to make dramatic changes to your site.
  • Optimizely's support is top notch. This was the primary reason we switched from our previous testing provider. They have extensive knowledge in scripting and are always quick to respond with useful information.
  • Optimizely has created a community of A/B testers and optimizers that allows us to share ideas with other groups.
  • Optimizely doesn't seem as buttoned up on the sales side as they are on the product and support side. Granted those other groups set a very high bar.
  • Optimizely doesn't have a useful engagement metric out of the box. You have to integrate your analytics platform with it which for us was a challenge.
  • We were grandfathered in from a Platinum plan which Optimizely no longer uses; they now have Enterprise and Starter I believe. We assumed since we had the Platinum plan that we were converted to the Enterprise plan but when we tried to access certain features we realized that wasn't the case.
Read Brian DeLoach's full review
August 10, 2015

Review: "If only I could use Optimizely to test this title - they make it so easy!"

Pros and Cons

• When we started implementing Optimizely on mobile (iOS and Android), the team at Optimizely was particularly helpful in working with the engineers and product team. This really accelerated the process for us to dive in and get started using the product.
  • The Optimizely team seems very passionate about helping their customers get the most out of their platform. They are always available to answer an e-mail, support request, forum post, jump on a phone call and even come by for a visit. On the flip side, they are always asking for feedback on the product, which provides a sense that we are working with a living, breathing company.
  • Optimizely has spent a lot of time understanding the intricacies of multivariate testing and statistical analysis and made it dead simple to see the results in their product. Even if your focus isn't around data, you can plainly see how your experiments are performing and focus on what you are best at. If you want to learn more, they've provided a lot of resources to help you understand concepts like statistical significance.
  • I'd like to see more APIs to be able to export data and integrate it ina data warehouse so that we could perform our own analytics.
  • Sometimes it's not obvious how long an experiment will need to run based on a product's existing traffic. Having an estimate integrated directly into the experiment would be very helpful.
  • Sometimes I am concerned that they've made things too simple to get in and start running experiments, without having proper constructs on what experiments you should be running and what you are actually testing. Just because you've seen results on testing a button in an early stage of a funnel does not mean your end conversion is going to change.
Read George McMullen's full review
November 16, 2015

Optimizely Review: "You could be testing in just minutes."

Pros and Cons

• A/B testing - this is the core functionality that Optimizely has always been great with and only got better as they add more functionality.
  • Test analytics - the reporting pages are great, the impact of the tests on revenue is extremely difficult to calculate correctly. Optimizely has made a lot of updates to their statistics engine, latest round of changes upset a lot of people, but it's still doing a great job presenting very complicated data in a simple way.
  • Personalization - still new and barely out of beta, but already looks promising and judging by the quality of the core product, A/B testing, this should be a hit with marketers as well.
  • Test results - the under the hood calculations could be more transparent, while the statistics engine does a ton of very complex calculations that we don't really need to see, in the end it provides one number for "statistical significance". As that number changes over time, sometimes its apparent fluctuations make no intuitive sense. This can make it difficult to justify test results to management and the rest of the team.
Read Sergei Kogut's full review
November 09, 2015

Review: "Optimizely is a Solid Platform for Testing"

Pros and Cons

• Great for fast development especially with basic CSS components.
  • Transparent results allow results to be shared across all departments.
  • The user interface is very straightforward and Optimizely's free online documentation is an excellent resource.
  • Advance code has issues especially with conditional activation on heavy JavaScript frameworks.
  • Direct customer service via phone is not as transparent as it could be.
  • Experiments can take a while to load, and previewing is sometimes not accurate due to slow caching issues.
Read Robert Chan's full review
October 28, 2015

User Review: "Optimizely and Me: A Love Story"

Pros and Cons

• Optimizely has a really powerful WYSIWYG editor. Not every marketing department is blessed with a talented developer. So this puts the power in the business user's hand, without getting bogged down in coding.
  • If you are blessed with a talented developer (as we are) you also have the option of doing very advanced coding through the Optimizely program. This gives us flexibility we never had before and a window to testing we never thought possible.
  • Optimizely segmentation is a power tool. The ability to customize the testing experience based on the segment is a strong advantage to any testing tool. We haven't even scratched the surface on the segments we can test through.
  • It would be helpful to add some advanced reporting. We have some scenarios where to only want to proof our test is to follow a user down a full path which can at times be harder to accomplish. We have solved this problem, mainly, by building customer trigger events.
  • A roll-up of past tests and their outcomes might be a nice feature. We have an offline report that our team lead develops at the end of each test.
Read Lisa Pinto-Hendron's full review
August 21, 2015

Review: "Taking the next step in your online business using Optimizely"

Pros and Cons

• The product itself is very user friendly. There are varying degrees of technical expertise on the teams that employ this program. The product's ease of use was a real selling point.
  • Their Customer Service has been nothing short of spectacular. We have a dedicated Account Manager who is really attentive to our questions and connects us the the correct person in their organization to help solve any issues we have.
  • Their developer API connections offer so many custom solutions that are not included out of the box. As each business is different, this flexibility has been a tremendous asset to continue to help us grow.
  • Showcase their users' implementations.
Read Abel Ramos's full review
August 05, 2015

User Review: "Why we chose Optimizely"

Pros and Cons

• Optimizely UX is very easy to use and find what you're looking for / set-up small changes on the site.
  • Customer service has been amazing.
  • There is a great user community that helps answer questions. Chances are, someone has run into the same issue you're experiencing.
  • In some instances page load speed can be affected by the Optimizely tag. Fortunately, in all cases that this has impacted a test, customer service has helped speed up the test.
  • Some changes require dev effort. It would be nice if the tool had more functionality to limit dev and design resources.
Read Chad Wales's full review
August 03, 2015

Review: "Optimizely Should Be Your Testing Software of Choice!"

Pros and Cons

• Analytics and data is easy to comprehend
  • Very fast learning curve to be using the product to its fullest!
  • Ability to auto-pause experiments at a set time.
Read David Shaw's full review
July 31, 2015

Review: "Optimizely is A/B testing for Marketers (not just code-heads)"

Pros and Cons

• You can set up an experiment without any assistance from your IT staff (after implementation). We don't have to request and wait. We just create a test, deploy and learn.
  • The software is fairly easy to use, flexible and powerful–even for a non-coder.
  • The reporting is really easy to digest and gets you a detailed picture of your test and your testing goals. If you choose to implement the test 100% that is simply a click away.
  • The reporting could be better, maybe more standard. We use Google Analytics on top of the Optimizely reports to verify and dig deeper.
  • If you aren't careful you could easily break your site. This isn't a flaw exactly, but is a potential pitfall.
  • I've heard complaints from IT staff that Optimizely adds too much weight to the page loads.
Read John Freeborn's full review
August 26, 2015

User Review: "Optimizely > All Else"

Pros and Cons

• Growing in terms of capabilities.
  • Unmatched service.
  • Further ecomm reporting.
Read Alek Toumert's full review