Paligo, headquartered in Stockholm, offers their component content management system (CCMS), supporting the creation and publishing of technical documentation and help systems.Steep Learning Curve, Worth The EffortWe use Paligo in the Technical Documentation department to structure and publish the software guides. We use the Salesforce integration to push the content to Support and the HTML5 publication capacity to publish directly to internal access. The ability to cross-reference and reuse content allows our technical writers to be succinct in topics while still presenting useful information across multiple products with a consistent message throughout.,The topic/publication structure is quite graceful. It makes setting up an outline of content quite intuitive, and after the tools are identified and defined, it's much simpler to set up a large document and work with others to produce it. Strict field definitions and use cases make topic structuring inherent in the workflow, which brings more attention to content handling. The train of thought required to utilize the tool also improves the train of thought required to focus the content, making for a better ultimate publication. The output capabilities and Salesforce integration make publishing the files very easy.,The learning curve is a bit steep, especially for anyone who's never worked in a true content authoring tool before. It takes a bit of work to move from a Word atmosphere to Paligo, but the training sessions address all of those issues and more. I wish there were more focused formatting tools. At this point, I don't know how to change the text color or format my output beyond the legacy defaults I inherited when I started this job. My fellow writers and I still sometimes struggle with putting things where we want them to go simply because they aren't the right field type at that location.,8,I am not involved in the financial decisions for my company regarding Paligo; the decision to migrate our content to this environment predates my hiring. However, I know that the migration effort from WordPress to Paligo was an initially heavy lift, but any content migration effort would be. I believe that ultimately, getting our content out of WordPress was a positive move, and I look forward to seeing what Paligo will help us accomplish in the future. Sorry, no hard numbers from me. :),JIRA Software, Atlassian Confluence, Google Authenticator,5,Yes,My coworker and I are still new to this company and this product, and my coworker had managed to blitz up a topic so completely that it looked drastically different live than in Preview. We were worried about how it was going to publish, so I sent the issue to Paligo Support. Not only did Mike fix the file for us, but he also explained, in granular detail, each of the specific issues that we had created with hacking away in the product with what I've come to call "Word Brain." It really brought to light the different aspects of the software that we weren't utilizing properly, and another user error became a learning moment.,10,Content reuse Keyboard shortcuts Cross-referencing Publication variety,Text formatting (color/spacing/font) Output template formatting Initial learning curve of the software,8Great tool for serious technical writersWe're using Paligo to manage the documentation libraries for several products. After a merger, we needed to consolidate documentation into a single platform and workflow. We were previously authoring in ZenDesk and Confluence. Paligo has many benefits: A topic-based XML authoring tool provides flexibility with your content. While there is extra work involved compared to authoring a random ZenDesk article, this flexibility lets my team adapt to a changing industry quickly. We're no longer locked into a single platform that we push our content into.,Once you get the hang of it, the workflow and UX lets you build highly structured content relatively quickly. The number of publishing options is outstanding. If you're disciplined, you can maintain a giant documentation library that is very well organized. Content re-use can be done at an enterprise-wide level.,The SaaS platform occasionally hiccups on us. This has never resulted in lost content, but we'll occasionally get "Cannot connect to server errors". Admittedly, this hasn't happened much at all lately. The ZenDesk publication feature is great (no author Help Authoring Tool has it built in), but the feature set could be expanded.,9,My company is in the process of merging features of two distinct platforms into a single modular platform. The topic-based nature of Paligo's library lets my team stay ahead of the curve. Getting our content into Paligo was a ton of work, but we're in good shape now and this will save us from huge amounts of hassle in the future.,Adobe Robohelp, Atlassian Confluence, MadCap Flare and ZendeskPaligo is a great CCMS and structured authoring tool!Currently, only my team uses Paligo. My team creates end-user help articles through ZenDesk Guide. Paligo is a CCMS that allows us to use structured authoring to manage all our content and publish not just to ZenDesk, but to PDF and HTML5 as well. Paligo allows us to single source the majority of our end-user content, reuse topics across multiple articles, publish to multiple channels, filter for languages and markets by country, manage content in an intuitive way, and remove all styling concerns from the content creation process so we can focus just on writing the content and managing article images and gifs. Our article styles are handled all through our external CSS, which automatically applies to articles when we publish to Zendesk. This makes our content creation process shorter overall and allows us to reuse content in multiple formats with different styling, without creating the content from scratch each time. In addition to managing our knowledge base content, we've also created feature-level user guides in PDF to distribute to select users, and PDF guides to send to developer partners as product documentation required for the plugin development approval process.,Topic reuse - many of our tutorial and how-to articles include procedures with the same first steps. Reuse allows us to create these steps once, including images, and reuse them in as many articles as we need. Single sourcing - At any time if the text or images in reused topics need updating, we just update the original topic and the changes reflect in every article that uses that topic. Content management - the topic and media management is excellent. we can organize however we need, rename topics and images as needed and move them around within the folder structure without breaking any links to the topics / articles they are used in (each topic and asset has a unique ID number that doesn't change, allow us to rename and move assets to best suit our needs) Filtering and variables - we can create a single topic that includes all the information for different markets (in this case, different content for accounts in different countries) and by using filtering and variables when building the content and in the publishing workflow I can publish just the US content to our US help center, the UK content to the UK help center, and the Australian content to the Australia help center, but using manage a single article within Paligo itself. Translation and localization workflow - the translation workflow (sending topics to be translated into another language) and localization workflow (publishing the same content in multiple languages) works well within the ZenDesk integration. It uses the ZenDesk localization settings to ensure the proper translation ends up in the correct articlein Zendesk.,Speed - since it is cloud-based we do sometimes run into speed issues in loading or saving content steep learning curve requiring training - the Paligo trainer is great, and their help center is also very good, but for individuals not already well versed in structured authoring it's a bit of an uphill battle to really understand why the UI works the way it does. that said, their support is incredibly helpful and enthusiastic! Stats - it would be great to have easier access to data showing which users on my team have created what content and performed what actions within the app or on specific content. This is mostly a manager need as I need to report progress to my manager regularly.,8,Positive - has allowed us to create templates for integration documentation. this has greatly sped up our process for creating articles for each of our integrations, which we haven't had up to this point. Positive - has created greater alignment between the self-service content team and the marketing team. Positive - has introduced a review and feedback workflow for our content creation that was not available in ZenDesk. The feedback directly in the app allows me to pinpoint comments about text and other elements so my writers can address them directly and become better writers in the long term. Negative - long ramp up time due to a completely different approach to creating content. My team was training in early August and we have not yet published our new help center (though, to be fair, it is a lot of content that had to be completely rewritten) Positive - any UI updates only require updating a single image, which has saved us dozens of hours of updating already.,,Sketch, Camtasia,Content Author / Administrator,100-1,000 pages,No,9,Yes,During the early days when I was still learning about the publication process for multilanguage, Steve (my account manager) was incredibly patient while I tested a number of scenarios with Paligo and ZenDesk and explained in great detail why things were working in a way I wasn't expecting. It was a major realignment in my thinking of how the workflow was meant to function. It turns my particular use case was a bit unusual and I worked with Paligo closely to customize the publishing workflow to accomplish what I needed.
Paligo

Paligo Reviews

Paligo
Filter 3 vetted Paligo reviews and ratings

Monica White profile photo
May 20, 2019

Paligo Review: "Steep Learning Curve, Worth The Effort"

• The topic/publication structure is quite graceful. It makes setting up an outline of content quite intuitive, and after the tools are identified and defined, it's much simpler to set up a large document and work with others to produce it.
  • Strict field definitions and use cases make topic structuring inherent in the workflow, which brings more attention to content handling. The train of thought required to utilize the tool also improves the train of thought required to focus the content, making for a better ultimate publication.
  • The output capabilities and Salesforce integration make publishing the files very easy.
  • The learning curve is a bit steep, especially for anyone who's never worked in a true content authoring tool before. It takes a bit of work to move from a Word atmosphere to Paligo, but the training sessions address all of those issues and more.
  • I wish there were more focused formatting tools. At this point, I don't know how to change the text color or format my output beyond the legacy defaults I inherited when I started this job. My fellow writers and I still sometimes struggle with putting things where we want them to go simply because they aren't the right field type at that location.
Before I took the intermediate training, I was so frustrated with Paligo that I mentioned it negatively in a networking event. Now that I have taken the training, I will be correcting that comment at the next one. :)
However, part of what I inherited was a badly managed library, and I am working hard with my fellow writers to restructure and re-present the content. I have only been working with Paligo for a month and a half, and while it's been a struggle to get here, I'm glad I learned it so that I can truly utilize its content reuse strengths across three different product lines.
It probably would not be ideal for desktop layout or on-demand production environments.
Read Monica White's full review
Paul LaBarbera profile photo
March 18, 2019

Paligo Review: "Great tool for serious technical writers"

We're using Paligo to manage the documentation libraries for several products. After a merger, we needed to consolidate documentation into a single platform and workflow. We were previously authoring in Zendesk and Confluence. Paligo has many benefits: A topic-based XML authoring tool provides flexibility with your content. While there is extra work involved compared to authoring a random Zendesk article, this flexibility lets my team adapt to a changing industry quickly. We're no longer locked into a single platform that we push our content into.
  • Once you get the hang of it, the workflow and UX lets you build highly structured content relatively quickly.
  • The number of publishing options is outstanding.
  • If you're disciplined, you can maintain a giant documentation library that is very well organized. Content re-use can be done at an enterprise-wide level.
  • The SaaS platform occasionally hiccups on us. This has never resulted in lost content, but we'll occasionally get "Cannot connect to server errors". Admittedly, this hasn't happened much at all lately.
  • The Zendesk publication feature is great (no author Help Authoring Tool has it built in), but the feature set could be expanded.
Paligo is not appropriate if you are not interested in structured authoring. If you do not value having your content in extensible XML formats, then the value of Paligo is limited (but your customers will notice the lazy attitude in your writing style). If you really value the content you're producing, you should be using an XML-based authoring tool. Paligo is best in class.
Read Paul LaBarbera's full review
Sarah Holdgrafer profile photo
November 29, 2018

Review: "Paligo is a great CCMS and structured authoring tool!"

• Topic reuse - many of our tutorial and how-to articles include procedures with the same first steps. Reuse allows us to create these steps once, including images, and reuse them in as many articles as we need.
  • Single sourcing - At any time if the text or images in reused topics need updating, we just update the original topic and the changes reflect in every article that uses that topic.
  • Content management - the topic and media management is excellent. we can organize however we need, rename topics and images as needed and move them around within the folder structure without breaking any links to the topics / articles they are used in (each topic and asset has a unique ID number that doesn't change, allow us to rename and move assets to best suit our needs)
  • Filtering and variables - we can create a single topic that includes all the information for different markets (in this case, different content for accounts in different countries) and by using filtering and variables when building the content and in the publishing workflow I can publish just the US content to our US help center, the UK content to the UK help center, and the Australian content to the Australia help center, but using manage a single article within Paligo itself.
  • Translation and localization workflow - the translation workflow (sending topics to be translated into another language) and localization workflow (publishing the same content in multiple languages) works well within the ZenDesk integration. It uses the ZenDesk localization settings to ensure the proper translation ends up in the correct articlein Zendesk.
  • Speed - since it is cloud-based we do sometimes run into speed issues in loading or saving content
  • steep learning curve requiring training - the Paligo trainer is great, and their help center is also very good, but for individuals not already well versed in structured authoring it's a bit of an uphill battle to really understand why the UI works the way it does. that said, their support is incredibly helpful and enthusiastic!
  • Stats - it would be great to have easier access to data showing which users on my team have created what content and performed what actions within the app or on specific content. This is mostly a manager need as I need to report progress to my manager regularly.
A recommendation would be dependent on their needs and numerous other factors, including their publishing channels. For my situation, where a good chunk of content (especially images) are used across dozens of articles, we're documenting the use of an entire SaaS platform and the 100+ integrations we have, and we publish different versions of some content based on account country, it's an ideal fit. Any help center that has more than 100 articles hosted on ZenDesk could potentially benefit from switching to a cloud-based CCMS.

Structured authoring is less appropriate for managing content that is constantly changing or doesn't have a unified structure, like blogs, for instance.
Read Sarah Holdgrafer's full review