- Act-On is very strong in behavior based messaging, drip and nurture campaigns.
- Easy to use email design through WYSIWYG designer.
- Act-On handles volume of data quite well
- Act-On's system navigation and overall UI could be improved as this is not intuitive at all. Often times, even after having used the system for some time it can be hard to find certain features or abilities of the platform. This turns out to be time intensive and could be better.
- Act-On is not at all set up to handle multiple teams working in 1 instance of the platform. Initially during the roll out of our platform we didn't know about this and we have 6 different teams working in the same instance which causes a lot of data management issues since the system's search capabilities are limited.
- Act-On's out-of-the-box connections to CRM system's is not ideal and could better. Our organization is using MS Dynamics 365 and there have been some issues in the set up, maintenance and continuous use of the Act-On connector
- Because of the way Act-On seems to be designed for a centralized structure rather than decentralized marketing teams, the reporting through their data studio creates a big gap. Act-On reports well per initiative, however aggregating data can only be through a 3rd party BI tool s.a. Tableau, MS Power BI, Qlik, etc.
- Tracking known sales prospects and their behavior on the website
- Tracking anonymous visitors to the website and reporting the location and potential company based on their ISP
- Hosting marketing content
- Not user-friendly for tracking email opens for a specific user, it takes too much time to locate them within Act-on
- Primarily built for marketing, the sales tools feel like an afterthought
- Browser add-on needs to be removed and re-added regularly to ensure functionality
- Customer Support. This team goes above and beyond normal customer support. The support team is very friendly, always answers my questions immediately, and sends follow up emails. Their support team is so great that we've connected them with our customer support team to learn a thing or two!
- We have a very niche targeted audience that has a lot of weird email addresses (think email@example.com). Act-On's flexible suppress/bounce lists (spam) is truly impactful for our business. With other software, our account would probably have been suspended a few times due to sending to these email addresses. It's truly invaluable for our business.
- I truly feel that like a business partner of Act-On's. They regularly ask for feedback and we're happy to be beta testers for a lot of new features. Also, it's rewarding to not feel like "a customer" and instead feel like we're in business to grow together.
- I don't have a lot of coding experience, both in HTML and/or CSS. Since I am in a content marketing department of one (startups!!), creating branded forms/landing pages/etc. can take a while.
- The interface isn't as beautiful as some of the other softwares. Not a big problem for us, but I suppose some other companies could be turned off by that.
- Quick view of who clicked
- What they clicked on
- How many pages the user visited on our site
- Also like the Act-On Score - where you assign a value to various activities to track "value of a contact"
- The pages/reports tend to load slow
- When viewing a click report online -it would be very helpful to have another column of information that shows company name - rather than having to click on the user -- email right on that page would be helpful as well
UPDATE: After a year of using ActOn, we've discovered some hurdles that are difficult to overcome. ActOn can only build lists off two objects in Salesforce--Leads and Contacts. To send emails/automated programs based on information in any other object, including Campaigns, we have to create a report in Salesforce and then bring in the results to ActOn. It makes things pretty complicated, but we're working through it.
- The onboarding process. I had personal attention from my CSM and access to a "bat line" that I could call anytime I needed a quick answer. Act-On University, their comprehensive support site/forum, is so thorough and has clear instructions for every process. I've never had such a pleasant experience learning new software as I did with Act-On. I felt incredibly supported!
- The software itself is intuitive, simple, and easy to use. Every time I think of a feature I wish it had, I do a quick search in the help (aka Act-On University, which is incredible), and turns out, it DOES do that! I have been delighted over and over again.
- The automation features are wonderful; it's simple to create an automated program with their drag/drop interface.
- The integration with Salesforce is clean, but the process of adding information from SFDC to my lists in Act-On could be clearer. I struggled for the first few weeks understanding what all I needed to do to include new information from my CRM.
- I loved my CSM, but her schedule was packed so full that I could only get on her calendar once a week. We needed to get up and running really quickly so I ended up having to do a lot of my onboarding myself, which meant I missed some things. We rectified them eventually, but I wish I'd had better access to my CSM in the early days.
- It would be helpful to more easily push subscription information back to my CRM system. We had to do this with a "hack" and it isn't pretty.
- Customer service. Act-on is the leader in client support for training, basic tips and trouble shooting to planning our Act-On strategy. The Act-On team is flexible, friendly, engaged and collaborative.
- Act-On does not over-complicate its offering. It is visually appealing and intuitive. Some platforms are just too complicated to keep on top of. We are a small team with a busy marketing schedule. We do not depend a great deal on online lead generation for our growth, however Act-On is still a good fit for us.
- Trust. No surprises once we had signed our agreement. In fact, our expectations were exceeded.
- Value - price for service.
- Being able to attach images to social posts
- More contemporary templates
- It's been really easy to get started with Act-On! There are great step-by-step guides inside the platform on what you need to do in order to start using the system, and if any of the steps are unclear you can simply go to Act-On University to get a more detailed description.
- So far I've been in contact with my CSM (customer success manager), technical support, the area manager and the creative team and everyone has provided competent and friendly service.
- It's really simple to re-use assets such as forms, emails and landing pages. It saves our team a bunch of time since you almost never need to start over from scratch. To edit the assets is really simple through drag and drop functionality with great flexibility.
- The available reports are quite static, so there is not much you can change. However I do know that this is a function that is more advanced if you go up to the Enterprise version.
- The alerts to sales people could be developed further, at the moment they are mainly based on demographic's of the visitor but I would like to be able to connect them to lists as well.
- The calendar provides a good overview of what has been done, but to fully optimize it I would like to be able to add planned activities. This would give the team a better possibility to plan and coordinate.
- User-friendly - the whole platform is intuitive and easy-to-use. The email and landing page composer in particular are very easy. We made the switch from Constant Contact and there was no learning curve to creating great emails.
- Training and support - our Customer Success Manager has been a pleasure to work with. The implementation training provided a great overview and he gave us many tips and best practices so we started off on the right foot. Everyone I've come into contact with has been very friendly and effective.
- Contact management - Act-On integrates well with Salesforce, so we've been able to pull our leads and contacts from there. But we're also able to add contacts directly to Act-On, nurture them and then only push them to Salesforce when they are really sales ready. The segmentation features are powerful, allowing you to test and find the right segment for a mailing based on their previous behaviors or profile.
- We haven't gotten a lot of use out of the reports yet. That's partially because our sales cycle is long and we've been using Act-On for just under a year. However, we are struggling to produce an ROI.
- Searching for a contact - you can't globally search for a contact, you have to search within the contact's list
- Assigned Customer Success Manager is available to you to help reach implementation goals, get set up correctly and give expert advice.
- On-demand online courses, webinars and white pages at your fingertips - so much helpful information when you need it!
- The email composer is easy to use and looks professional. Plus they don't advertise themselves on our emails.
We are planning to integrate Act-On with our bespoke CRM system so that we could also use it for lead generation and nurturing as well as sending our proposal emails via Act-On.
- I love the straightforward list management features of Act-On. It is easy to update and manage lists and the fact that segments are 'live' means I do not have to worry about updating individual segments as long as I have an up-to-date master list.
- The use of the email composer could not be easier. With the drag & drop email builder it is really easy to design an email and change the content around if I change my mind.
- I find it useful that we can not just create email templates but also create our forms and landing pages in Act-On, so I do not need a web developer to create a landing page for an offer in my mailer any more.
- Form composer needs improvements as it is not as easy to use as the email and landing page composer at the moment.
- More articles on automated programmes at the Act-On University would be useful.
- Delivers all (most important) features a marketeer needs
- Great support
- Friendly pricing
- Fast paced feature development
- We could use more contextual content features to use on landing pages
- The landing page editor could still be improved
- Social media management could be better; more like Hootsuite
- I have used a number of marketing automation systems over the years from Oracle to Salesforce. However none of these have been as easy to use from a platform perspective.
- Its very intuitive and in a short period of weeks we have been able to set up the platform, fully integrate it with our systems and create lead scoring and funnel reports.
- If I am ever stuck our amazing customer success manager is there to help us with weekly calls and demos which focus on our business needs and requirements.
- As with all new entrants into the market, there are features to make it better...however there is a product request hub which is regularly monitored, for me its acceleration of these ideas into the platform.
- Deeper integration with Google Analytics to understand traffic coming onto the site, from what channel/source and attributing this to the contact/lead and funnel reports.
- Out-of-box data out integrations with BI solutions such Tableau and MS Power BI.
- A full marketplace of vendors who can connect with Act-On e.g. SMMS, IP Tracking, Call Tracking.
- Behaviour Analysis. Anachron allows me to monitor all user behaviour on our websites, landing pages, emails webinars and other items. This knowledge, even the anonymous company data around who is on our sites and what they are doing is invaluable.
- Email marketing and list management. Act-On's list management and email capabilities compare very favourably with some of the higher end automation tools I've used in the past. Although it has its quirks, it stands up strong against its biggest competitors in this regard.
- Sales Support. The Act-On Anywhere Chrome Extension has rapidly become a must have item for our entire sales team. This recent addition to Act-On gives much greater insight into prospect behaviour to sales and most importantly enables the to get access to that information without having to log into another system, It's included right there in their emails and their web browser. The Act-On tab in Salesforce is also of great interest to our sales team.
- Program automation: the only feature I miss from Eloqua, which I used in a previous role, is the drag and drop canvas for building out a drip campaign. Act-On's functionality works perfectly, but the fact it's all listed in one vertical line makes it slightly more difficult to visualize the flow. Having said that, the tools are all there, it could just do with some extra visualization when it comes to making complex programs.
- Website prospector. This is one of the features I use very heavily and although the new version recently launched is a big improvement, there's still room for more info. It's by no means bad, but I'd like to see some extra info in here.
- Forms: Id like to see a more visual formbuilder, in line with the landing page improvements recently made. The form works great but are quite plain visually. This could be improved and remove the need for extra tools in WordPress/other programs.
For mid-sized enterprises, Act-On is a no brainer but I'd even recommend it to some larger corporates as if they really compare what they're getting with Eloqua/Marketo etc., I think they'd be surprised to see what Act-On has to offer.
Review: "Looking to add an extra dimension to your marketing and sales activity? Act-On is the platform for you..."
- Lead nurturing
- Marketing list segmentation
- Providing an insight into user behaviour, allowing for a more granular analysis of your current prospects
- Speed of unsubscribing contacts
- Email building requires a high understanding of html if you face any issues with design or layout
- Constant evolution of the product.
- Fantastic landing page and email builder.
- Great handling of email sending, bounce and traffic.
- Great website website analysis tools.
- As a company, Act-On is always willing and eager to listen to customer feedback and incorporate it into the product.
- A more coherent interface.
- Data studio needs to be a bit more mature.
- A more contact oriented, less list oriented approach could be useful.
- Webinar Creation-This is synced up with our Saleforce and WebEx tools for a smooth seamless event from start to finish. Getting our message through but also keeping our CRM up to date with the interaction.
- Send Over Time- I cannot preach enough about how effective this feature is for getting messaging through. You are able to select specific time blocks that you would like your blast to drip out. This allows them to less likely be marked as spam because they trickle out.
- Automation-Some of the best drip marketing features I have ever seen! Automation allows for multiple lists and segments with an endless group of messages. One of the best ways to save you and your team time and allow the customers to raise their hands for help.
- Support-Their support staff is amazing! You never have to talk to someone you cannot understand or that is not personable. They are always ready and eager to help in anyway they can. Their ability to escalate and get answers the same day is very impressive.
- I would really like to see the "send over time" feature be added back to the webinar messaging. This feature is very important for maintaining a low bounce rate.
- It would be nice to allow for more flexibility with the information processed in funnel reports. Not all of the options available will allow for the data that we are looking for.
- They need to design a better functioning more realistic marketing calendar.
- Email creation - The templates are especially helpful, but the fact that we can customize them to match whatever colors or styles fit the theme of our email message, is a big plus.
- Customer service - The Act-On team is always reaching out to check in and see how they can help us reach our goals faster and more easily.
- Deliverability - I never have to worry that we are going to end up on a blacklist or that our emails will not get sent out at the correct time. For over 3 years I have trusted Act-On and their excellent deliverability.
- More training - There are features I haven't used, due to lack of knowing how to use them. The team has offered to train me on these, I just need to take them up on the offer!
- Email lists - Sometimes if I remove an opt-out from one list, they are still included in another list. This can just be a source of time-consumption as I have to go find where else the contact is in our account.
I am on the business development team, which means that we are using it for different reasons. My team is using it to track who has been to our site to what pages they visited. From there, we are able to create drip campaigns using Act-On, in order to really target our warmer leads. This is something we have never had in place before, so it really has helped us become more efficient when doing cold emails.
- It not only allows you to see who visited your website, but also what pages they were clicking on. This comes in really handy when you need to separate webinar leads from people who really want to purchase your product and are looking at something like the product tour.
- We use Dynamics CRM and it has the connector with that system. This allows us to send emails to our prospects directly from our CRM system. As a business development specialist, we constantly work with people who go dark after awhile. With this feature we are able to see whether or not they are opening our emails that we sent. This helps us focus on which prospects we should continue to go after, and which one's we should let go.
- I LOVE being able to set up alerts for my territories. I can say all the state that I work with, and it sends me an updated list of new people visiting our site in those areas. This means that you don't have to filter through long lists just to find which prospects might be yours. Once again, making your team more productive and efficient.
- There is only one thing that I can honestly say I wish they would change. If you send an email from Dynamic CRM, it does log the email in the history which is nice. However, you can't preview or view the email in your CRM system. It provides you with a link that drives you out of that system and into Act-On.
- Salesforce integration. I'm able to accomplish everything that I need to accomplish seamlessly between Act-On and Salesforce.
- Support. Our use of Act-On is probably fairly unique but every question or issue I throw at my customer success manager (Scott S., who is AMAZING) is always met with a convenient and innovative solution.
- Automation. The automated programs are very intuitive and easy to set up, monitor and use.
- Website Prospector. I've used other tools that are far more sophisticated in matching visitors with companies (instead of ISPs, which Prospector does more often than not) and in preserving a visitor's identity throughout their entire process (such as, linking an identity to an anonymous user once that user is identified via a form). I think it is probably heading in the right direction but at this point I think it's the feature that needs the most attention.
- E-mail Templates. Templates are created through stationery, which while it would be very easy to use for a company sending out multiple identically-designed e-mails, is a bit cumbersome for more design-focused HTML e-mails. I'd love more flexibility with HTML and WYSIWYG HTML editing.
- I'm impressed with the ease of Act-On's list management. It's extremely simple to import, segment and send messages to the exact audience you want to target.
- Act-On's customer support has been phenomenal. Every time I call or email with a question, they're quick to respond with a solution. With one issue in particular, I was passed around to a few different Act-On employees, simply because my question was too technical for my account manager. However, as soon as I landed in the right place (with one of the software engineers), my concern was resolved within the hour. It was terrific.
- Creating the right reports is a breeze in Act-On. I never half to worry about pulling the most up-to-date data on all of our marketing campaigns and prospective lead behavior. It also makes it easy for our sales reps to stay current on who's frequenting our website and what their interests may be.
- The design capabilities for landing pages, forms and emails are lacking. It would be nice to have more creative options for those who aren't experienced with building visually appealing webpages and emails with code.
- Generally, our integration with Microsoft Dynamics CRM is good, but occasionally the numbers don't match up between the two systems. I'm sure some of it is user error as new data is entered, but some of it isn't. And our marketing efforts are only as good as our data.
- When mapping data fields in the process of importing an email list, it'd be helpful for the selection of Act-On data fields to be alphabetized. It would make the selection process much faster.
- Their knowledge base and onboarding are fantastic. I learned what I needed in a very short period of time and can quickly find information if I need help getting what I need.
- They respond very quickly when support is needed and have always helped me find what I need if I can't in the knowledge base.
- The email creation tool is very easy to use, and I love that it has a responsive design.
- Adding and uploading contacts is easy.
- Building forms is simple and easy, and is a great way to supplement our website.
- It's very frustrating that the marketing lists are not sortable by column.
- I know it's coming soon, but having responsive design for the landing pages would be a great improvement.
- It would be great to see what lists a contact is in, possibly tying it together by email address.
- Synchronization with Salesforce is convenient and effective
- Customer Support is always very helpful
- The email composer is easy to use
- Menus and tabs could be better organized for quicker locating
- The segmented list option could be more user friendly
- The automated program generator is not user friendly and can prove quite difficult
Act-On is integrated with Salesforce so our sales team uses it to review the behavior of their leads before making contact. They also use the daily website prospector report to monitor website interaction. Lead scoring helps prioritize which leads to contact first, making the best use of their time.
- Wonderful customer service. They are quick to respond whether via email or a phone call. They actively seek out answers from various sources (Tech Support, CSM, Engineers), not giving up until the issue has been resolved.
- The email composer is easy to use. Creating great looking emails without any HTML experience isn't an issue.
- The recent updates to segmentation are amazing. The flexibility of the custom logic feature makes creating complex segments easy.
- So many features to explore it can be overwhelming.
- Website prospector report isn't customizable on information shown and how often report is sent.
- No automated alerts when form submissions to Salesforce fail.
- Email creation: The ability to design new or re-use existing templates makes Act-On a great improvement over other tools I have used.
- Reporting: Act-On provides easy to understand reporting tools. It allows me to delve into the analytics of how my sends perform.
- Import ease: The ability to import the data that I use for some my sends is highly intuitive.
- At times, there are almost too many features to manage. I know there is more that I can do with Act-On, but I have only so much time in the day. I don't have too much time to explore.
Act-On Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
|Professional||$900||per month (starts at 2,500 active contacts)|
|Enterprise||$2,000||per month ( starts at 2,500 active contacts)|
The Professional package starts at 2,500 active contacts, 3 marketing users, 50 sales users and 30,000 API calls per day. The Enterprise package starts at 2,500 active contacts, 6 marketing users, 100 sales users and 30,000 API calls per day. Annual contract required.
Act-On Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||29%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||67%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||4%|
Act-On Support Options
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Act-On Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Android|
|Supported Countries:||Available Internationally|
|Supported Languages: ||English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi, Thai, Arabic, Hebrew|