Act-On is used by our sales and marketing teams.
WYSIWYG email editor (112)
List management (111)
Email deliverability reporting (220)
Standard reports (112)
Entry-level set up fee?
- Setup fee required
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Act-On is an adaptive marketing platform that drives personal and purposeful multi-channel marketing, that aims to spark better inbound and outbound marketing, enable a tighter alignment with sales, and turn user data into substance to act-on.
The vendor states their customers range from start-ups and fast-growing young companies to well-established enterprise institutions; from marketing teams in small and medium-sized businesses, to independent teams in large enterprise corporations. They use Act-On in many different ways to realize their marketing objectives.
- Supported: WYSIWYG email editor
- Supported: Dynamic content
- Supported: Ability to test dynamic content
- Supported: Landing pages
- Supported: A/B testing
- Supported: Mobile optimization
- Supported: Email deliverability reporting
- Supported: List management
- Supported: Triggered drip sequences
- Supported: Lead nurturing
- Supported: Lead scoring and grading
- Supported: Data quality management
- Supported: Automated sales alerts and tasks
- Supported: Event/webinar marketing
- Supported: Social sharing and campaigns
- Supported: Social profile integration
- Supported: Dashboards
- Supported: Standard reports
- Supported: Custom reports
- Supported: API
- Supported: Role-based workflow & approvals
- Supported: Customizability
- Supported: Integration with Salesforce.com
- Supported: Integration with Microsoft Dynamics CRM
- Supported: Integration with SugarCRM
- Supported: Email Marketing
- Supported: Lead Scoring
- Supported: Website Visitor Tracking
- Supported: Automated Programs (Trigger & Drip Campaigns)
- Supported: Social Publishing
- Supported: Reporting & Analytics
- Supported: SEO
- Supported: Forms
- Supported: Events & Webinars
- NetSuite ERP
- Pipeliner CRM
- Webex Meetings
- SnapApp, by Uberflip
- Sugar Sell (SugarCRM)
- Salesforce Marketing Cloud Interaction Studio (formerly Evergage + MyBuys)
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 (formerly Microsoft Dynamics CRM)
- PowerDialer for Salesforce
- from XANT (formerly InsideSales.com)
- Go To Meeting / WebEx
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||29%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||67%|
|Enterprises (more than 500 employees)||4%|
|Mobile Application||Apple iOS, Android|
|Supported Countries||Available Internationally|
|Supported Languages||English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi, Thai, Arabic, Hebrew|
Frequently Asked Questions
Act-On [Software] automates marketing tasks and provides campaign evaluation tools that help the marketing department respond to customers better during the buying cycle.
So far we have enhanced the company brand across social media, web and email.
- Generates high-quality leads
- Engaging with customers even after they make a purchase
- Better tracking of campaigns
- Clear picture of customer behavior
- Drafts do not autosave
- Customization on forms for reviews is limited
- Establishes a simple but very decisive way of how to perform specialized marketing work.
- It includes the monitoring of advertising networks or account management on digital platforms and social networks.
- The support is solid; it takes all the suggestions and doubts I have regarding the software.
- It would be great if they could improve the interface a bit more.
- They will add internal guides so that I don't have to contact support all the time.
- Act-On is very useful for creating, managing, and sending effective marketing campaigns.
- The use of landing pages has attracted many potential customers.
- The reporting function is integrated and is easy to access and understand.
- The landing page allows you to customize the page for any activity or reason you need.
- Its reporting helps to understand audience engagement.
- This is a program that meets all requirements, our performance has no problems, and all results are positive.
- The automation builder is extremely easy to use. Mapping out the customer journey is so important when planning behavioral-based campaigns. With Act-Ons user friendly UX, it's simple to create.
- Their customer support is outstanding! Via chat, through email, or with our Account Rep, Act-On goes above and beyond to ensure my problems get addressed and fixed quickly.
- Forms are incredibly easy to create and embed into our landing pages and website.
- Their customer service chat feature would be helpful to be available during all working hours from west coast to east coast.
- Auto response emails do not work properly
- Auto response analytics do not work properly
- Media inserts have a lag
- Representatives are responsive to customer needs.
- Act-On continuously works on improving their system - using customer feedback to help them know where to focus.
- Technicians are friendly and responsive.
- I would like to see a way to schedule a single email to multiple groups at different dates & times by accessing the email just once, instead of programming a new email every time.
- I would like to see easier features with mapping hyperlinks - where you could use your mouse to draw out areas to link to a url.
- Folder structure for list management and marketing assets/campaigns are easy to use. It was easy to keep things organized.
- Email testing was accurate and straightforward.
- Existing templates to build landing page and emails from were responsive out of the box.
- Building email and landing page templates are difficult, the drag and drop builder is not straightforward, and requires coding knowledge
- The workflow tool is cumbersome and not as intuitive as I'd expect a best in class marketing software's to be
- Domain connections and domain management functionality made it difficult to manage multiple company domains and subdomains for pages
- Act-On's customer service is exceptional, they are quick and thorough when you are needing help. For example, we could not figure out how to automate a birthday date for our birthday campaign and the representative was able to walk through the process with myself and another team member. This is a strength of Act-On because many other companies do not have customer services that will speak with you, they direct you to blogs or informational sessions.
- The landing pages that Act-On has created for use on the web is exceptional. The formatting is very user-friendly and the templates are great to navigate. The landing pages allow you to make the page fit whatever campaign or reason you are in need of. This is a strength of Act-On because the landing pages resolve the issue of having to create actual web pages.
- The spam feature of Act-On's emails is a great add on. This feature allows you to test how the spam alerts are triggered in your email and how you can fix it. This has helped many emails be developed in a way so that they reach many more people than they would have without this feature. many other programs do not have this feature.
- They can greatly improve how you are able to place photos in emails. The current way is very archaic and takes a long time to navigate to find your photo. Once your photo is in the email, you cannot crop or adjust the size. This should be upgraded.
- The A/B testing or dynamic emails needs to be worked on. You can not currently test emails before placing them in a series to go to contacts, the testing route is long and usually ends up in frustration. There needs to be a way to test dynamic emails so that you can ensure success before sending.
That said, we use for all of the above. Mileage varies from client to client, but we certainly use every part of Act-On. We will build our client landing pages in Act-On, we house our email templates in Act-On, we upload marketing content to Act-On -- I'm in it all the time! In fact, I have it open in one of my browser tabs as I am writing this review.
Overall, it is a solid marketing automation platform. Act-On manages lists, segments, email programs, and sync's with SalesForce very well, but in some areas like landing page design and reporting it falls short.
- List Management. Act-On has some powerful segmentation tools that complement the automated programs very well. Act-On lets you really slice and dice your lists however you see fit. Connected to Salesforce, Act-On becomes super-charged.
- Automated Programs. You can then take your targeted segments and create robust automated programs that can be tailored into specific tracks for your targeted audience.
- Webinar Programs. If you use GotoWebinar or WebEx, managing the webinar is a breeze. Act-On will handle the invitations, registrations, reminders and post-event follow-up for you. It works really well.
- No Server Side Scripts. There isn't any way to retrieve data in your lists and add it to a landing page. Basically, you can't use any data stored in an Act-On list and add it to a landing page.
- It's limited. There is simply some data you can't pull from Act-On and into a 3rd Party Reporting app.
Act-On would be overkill for the small B2C client. A small business that uses email to manage newsletters and product announcements will find Act-On to be much, much more than they need. Act-On can certainly do these things but so can MailChimp at a much lower price point. There would be many features in Act-On that this client simply would never use.
If your company uses a custom CRM, Act-On won't be the best fit. I imagine you would need to hire a developer (or commit an in-house developer) to a large project of integrating your CRM with Act-On. Otherwise, you'll be importing and exporting list data on a regular basis.
- Sort by select fields
- Edit templates to view clients info
- Ease to see other users notes
- Hard to sort with multiple topics
- Email and Landing Pages, great feature set. Flexible for different skill level users. Easy integration to CRM.
- Robust list and contact management allowing complete communication cycle to take place in one place.
- Solid lead scoring platform and follow up tools.
- Social Media tool needs development.
- Page View tracking - to see where website visitors are going.
- Email campaign stats - to track who is receiving, opening, and clicking through.
- Automated programs - to manage lists, send reports and analyze behavior.
- I wish there was integration with more 3rd party CRMs.
- Pricing is significant.
- Lead scoring.
- Automated email programs.
- Landing pages.
- Form creation.
- Reporting is not as robust/user-friendly as it could be.
- UX has been continually expanded, so there is a mix of old and new features that could use some polishing and regrouping.
Act-On is used by our sales and marketing teams.
- Account Based Management ABM.
- Marketing Automation.
- Email Marketing.
- Customer Service.
- Text messaging capability.
We have three marketing users, with our Digital Marketing Manager being the primary user. Act-On helps us stay in touch with people who want to hear from us and efficiently manage those who don't. It helps us keep our Lead database clean by allowing us to remove people from our CRM who do not productively interact with us. It also helps us consolidate a variety of outbound marketing activities in one platform.
- Embedded website forms and automated emails when forms are filled.
- Reporting on results in high-level graphical formats with the option to drill down to individual records.
- To serve as a portal to store prospect data until it is qualified to move to our CRM.
- The social distributions didn't render well, so we don't use Act-On for social media marketing. Instead, we distribute directly from each platform.
- The webinar integration with Webex did not work well, so we do webinars outside of Act-On, using Zoom.
- We have always had deliverability issues with Act-On, with people in our database who want to get our emails and those who do not.
- More robust insights than other MAPs.
- Customer Service always on point.
- A better drip overall.
- Price. Act-On is a FANTASTIC transition from Mailchimp and the like, however, the price is a real jump. I did successfully transition a few freelance clients into users but the price didn't sit well at this early in the game. Maybe consider leveraging a super-entry-tier?
- Has easy to use email automation features.
- Great list management.
- Templated email options.
- Good customer service/support.
- Could be a lot cheaper.
- Allow for more contacts at a better rate.
- More integrations with outside systems.
- Act-On gives us flexibility to create high quality emails because we have the ability to import images and create links to websites or PDFs to increase agent engagement.
- Act-On has a great survey tool that allows me to create survey so that I can quickly gather information from our customer base for our business needs. The data is delivered in spreadsheet format so it can be easily analyzed.
- Act-On gives me the ability to create landing pages, which I can link our agents to more information with by an email. We have the same flexibility to create high-end landing pages.
- Act-On has great engagement reporting of our email sends. I look forward to reviewing the reports with my internal customers to show how the emails have performed from an open and click standpoint.
- I think Act-On could have a better folder system for marketing lists.
- I think Act-On could offer a faster way to clean up lists and images. Right now you have to remove one at a time.
- Act-On could make it easier to pull in personalized data to an email from an extension list. It is a two-step process right now.
- Digital marketing campaign integrations, like Google Adwords, email tracking, other tools that track audiences, and website integrations like WordPress or Square Space.
- The customer support, from what I've heard, is very good.
- Integrations with other CRM systems make this really easy to add to a company's workflow.
- It is one of the most expensive tools on the market, the price, compared to other similar tools, is very high.
- It's a little difficult to get accustomed to this software, it looks like it's designed for people that already have experience in the marketing and campaigns space.
- There are some necessary features, like contacts and sales users limitations, that are only available at higher pricing tiers, despite being already expensive for some of the lower tiers.
- Integrated Marketing Platform, which includes social media management helps to automated programs, website tracker, generating reports, analyzing the data, and a lot more. It adds value to the business.
- Very useful to increase client base or run successful marketing campaigns.
- Training materials, documentation, and webinars are very useful to understand the power of the software.
- It takes quite some time to understand how to use it, and without documentation, it becomes very difficult to navigate through the application.
- User support base needs to be more active.
- The system takes time to reflect the changes.
- Manage multiple clients and segment the client accounts
- Activate multi-step automated email campaigns
- Track recipient engagement such as opens, clicks, and website visits
- Set-up requirements and steps are complicated
- Customer service could have been better
- My favorite Act-On feature is the web prospector. It allows you to gate your marketing content so that anyone viewing the content on your website provides information about their location, contact info, title, etc. It really helps us to generate leads for the sales team and has helped us get in contact with prospects who are highly interested in our products.
- The feature that we use the most is the outbound content section for creating emails. The templates and different sections you can add to emails enables us to create very organized, versatile emails while sticking to our own branding and color guidelines.
- After an email is sent in Act-On, the platform begins counting which links in an email were clicked the most. This really helped us to test how engaging certain emails were over others. It also helped us understand how to present certain content in a more engaging way. Something as simple as changing the color of a button can make our subscribers click on it, and we wouldn't have that insight without Act-On.
- The most obvious con when using Act-On is that it’s not very intuitive. The menu options don’t always seem to correlate with what’s on that page so, I get lost on the platform often - even after using it for a year.
- I wish there was an easier way to organize content added to Act-On by other users within my organization. I often have to sort through emails and drafts that were created by other people on my team to be able to find my own drafts.
- Tracking known sales prospects and their behavior on the website
- Tracking anonymous visitors to the website and reporting the location and potential company based on their ISP
- Hosting marketing content
- Not user-friendly for tracking email opens for a specific user, it takes too much time to locate them within Act-on
- Primarily built for marketing, the sales tools feel like an afterthought
- Browser add-on needs to be removed and re-added regularly to ensure functionality
- Customer Support. This team goes above and beyond normal customer support. The support team is very friendly, always answers my questions immediately, and sends follow up emails. Their support team is so great that we've connected them with our customer support team to learn a thing or two!
- We have a very niche targeted audience that has a lot of weird email addresses (think firstname.lastname@example.org). Act-On's flexible suppress/bounce lists (spam) is truly impactful for our business. With other software, our account would probably have been suspended a few times due to sending to these email addresses. It's truly invaluable for our business.
- I truly feel that like a business partner of Act-On's. They regularly ask for feedback and we're happy to be beta testers for a lot of new features. Also, it's rewarding to not feel like "a customer" and instead feel like we're in business to grow together.
- I don't have a lot of coding experience, both in HTML and/or CSS. Since I am in a content marketing department of one (startups!!), creating branded forms/landing pages/etc. can take a while.
- The interface isn't as beautiful as some of the other softwares. Not a big problem for us, but I suppose some other companies could be turned off by that.
UPDATE: After a year of using ActOn, we've discovered some hurdles that are difficult to overcome. ActOn can only build lists off two objects in Salesforce--Leads and Contacts. To send emails/automated programs based on information in any other object, including Campaigns, we have to create a report in Salesforce and then bring in the results to ActOn. It makes things pretty complicated, but we're working through it.
- The onboarding process. I had personal attention from my CSM and access to a "bat line" that I could call anytime I needed a quick answer. Act-On University, their comprehensive support site/forum, is so thorough and has clear instructions for every process. I've never had such a pleasant experience learning new software as I did with Act-On. I felt incredibly supported!
- The software itself is intuitive, simple, and easy to use. Every time I think of a feature I wish it had, I do a quick search in the help (aka Act-On University, which is incredible), and turns out, it DOES do that! I have been delighted over and over again.
- The automation features are wonderful; it's simple to create an automated program with their drag/drop interface.
- I loved my CSM, but her schedule was packed so full that I could only get on her calendar once a week. We needed to get up and running really quickly so I ended up having to do a lot of my onboarding myself, which meant I missed some things. We rectified them eventually, but I wish I'd had better access to my CSM in the early days.
- It would be helpful to more easily push subscription information back to my CRM system. We had to do this with a "hack" and it isn't pretty.